John George Bohmer
BOHMER, John George, principal Jones Commercial College; born, Richfountain, Osage Co., Mo., Nov. 9, 1847; son of Henry and Margaret (Kindlein) Bohmer; educated in parochial school, Richfountain, Mo., by private special tutors, and at Jones Commercial College, from which was graduated, 1867; unmarried. After graduation from Jones Commercial College, became assistant writing teacher, and a year later principal of the Penmanship Department and teacher of English; entered into partnership with Prof. Jonathan Jones, founder of Jones Commercial College, in 1879, and at whose death in 1884 acquired ownership of the school as surviving partner, now principal same. Republican. Catholic. Member Young Men's Sodality. Member St. Xavier's Church Choir (considers singing half of his life). Favorite recreations: fishing, hunting, horseback riding. Office: 625 Locust St. Residence: 5146A Minerva Ave. (Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
Rev. Thomas Anderson Bowman
1850-1915 -- Religious Activity in Missouri 1871-1915
It has fallen to my lot to write of many good and useful men, of whom I had by personal contact no knowledge. Had, therefore, to write upon the basis of facts furnished by others. This was in no sense less reliable than the truths that come to my knowledge concerning the life-work of those with whom there had been personal and intimate association upon the many and varied fields of labor that fall to the lot of every gospel preacher that gives his whole life to the work that opens up before him. T. A. Bowman was one of the faithful who never seemed to claim the right to select the place of the work that he should do in the Lord's vineyard. Whenever and wherever a door was opened to him he went in, and with all his strength labored diligently until called to another task. Even preachers do not always seem to realize that "both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together." We all want to be reapers, and often are too restless if our mission is to sow the gospel seed that another may reap the abundant harvest. This is not written because there were not great results accompanying Brother Bowman's labors. In one series of meetings he held in Marble Hill, there were about 100 conversions and additions to the church. T. A. Bowman was the son of Benjamin and Sophia Bowman, and was the youngest of eleven children. He was born at what is now St. Albans, Kanawah County, West Virginia, though the two Virginias were one state then. The date of his birth was May 7th, 1850. The family at a later date moved, and this time established a residence in Jackson, Cape Girardeau County, Missouri. Here again the father was employed as a miller. In 1861 the Civil War burst upon our country, and soon the hostile armies were marching across the State of Missouri. The mill in Jackson was burned, and Mr. Bowman, Sr., then took charge of the mill at Burfordville. This, too, was soon destroyed by fire. A new location was now chosen farther up the Whitewater, which stream had furnished the power for the mill. Here he learned the carpenter's trade, and thus provided a living for his family. Benjamin Bowman and wife, when they came to Missouri, united by letter with the Bethel Church, and remained members until that church ceased to exist. They then united with Goshen Church. This did not imply any change of sentiment on their part, as they had before this time become, at heart, in full sympathy with the effort to have the Gospel preached to all nations. They remained in hearty co-operation with the activities of the church until the end of their lives. They were both good Christians, and earnestly prayed for the triumphs of Christianity. At the age of 18 years, in a series of meetings held by Rev. James Reid and Rev. J. P. Bridwell, T. A. Bowman was converted, and by Rev. Jas. Reid was baptized into the fellowship of the Goshen Baptist Church. This church was located some two miles from the present town of Oak Ridge. For many years it was one of the most vigorous churches in the Cape Girardeau Associations. In later years, the membership having become greatly depleted by removals and death, the church disbanded, and the few members left joined with others and formed the Oak Ridge Church, which body still continues to hold regular services, and now worships in an elegant and modern house dedicated to the Lord's services. In January, 1871, the Goshen Church licensed the youth to preach the gospel. The next fall he entered William Jewell College. He is said to have been the first student from southeast Missouri to enter this institution, that now has become one of the great colleges of the Mississippi Valley. There were then only about 150 students enrolled, and fifty of these were preparing to preach the gospel. Since that date there have been enrolled, at a single session full 500 students, and at times over 200 of these had the Gospel ministry in view. After two years of faithful study in the college, his means having become exhausted, he taught one year at Orrick, a small town in Ray County, Missouri. The father of T. A. Bowman, having died, and he being the youngest child, returned to his mother, who was left alone. It was not long after this that the New Bethel Church of Cape Girardeau County called him to become pastor, and June 14th, 1873, he was ordained to the full work of the ministry, and accepted this pastorate. Having now entered fully into his life work of preaching the Gospel, he was, on the 21st day of October, 1873, married to Miss Sarah Emma Ghotson, who was to him a most faithful helper throughout his more than forty years as pastor, Missionary, field editor of the Central Baptist, and superintendent of the Baptist Orphans' Home. Six children were born to them, two of whom survive – John J., who is cashier of the People's Bank at Bonne Terre, Missouri, and Thomas D., who is American consul at Fernie, British Columbia. The others were Connie Irene, who died in 1891 at the age of 14; Myrta May, who died in 1898 at the age of 19; Bessie Beulah, who married J. W. Alexander and died in 1912 at the age or 30, and Orren Clyde, who died in infancy. The widow also survives her husband. Her faith in Him who is the widow's God, will sustain her until she is called to join the members of her own family in the presence of Him whose love and power never fail those who believe. For more than forty years Mr. Bowman continued to preach the Gospel. His work was varied. Sometimes he was pastor of one local church, as when he was stationed at Salem, Steelville, Slater, and at other places. And always he preached the gospel of the Lord Jesus with all the earnestness, and with unwavering faith, that this is God's message to men, and this alone is the "power of God unto salvation to every one that believes." T. A. Bowman and wife made most diligent effort to give their children all possible mental and moral training. The older of the two surviving sons graduated from William Jewell College in the class of 1897. The thorough training he received has enabled him to gain and hold the responsible position he now fills as cashier of the People's Bank at Bonne Terre, Missouri. The other son graduated from the same college in 1907, and is now American consul at Fernie, British Columbia. The inheritance thus left to the two sons is of greater value than merely great worldly possessions. They have such mental culture that prominence is very becoming to them, and the richest of all inheritances, the record of a good, Christian life on the part of a noble father. More than once Mr. Bowman turned aside from regular pastoral work, and labored in the general denominational enterprises of the State. He was employed by the Board of State Missions, and preached to weak churches and in destitute regions, and solicited funds for other parts where Missionaries were stationed. He was also Missionary for more than one District Association, which led him to investigate the needs of many localities, where help should be given to make the cause self-sustaining. For several years he was field editor of the Central Baptist. The writer of this sketch of the life of this faithful man of God was once in the editorial office of the Central Baptist, and asked the editor if he read every communication that came to the paper before handing it to the printers for insertion in that journal. He said, yes, except in cases like the letters from T. A. Bowman, who is canvassing the churches. We know his letters are all right and do not feel it necessary to read them before they are printed. This is written to show how his wisdom was appreciated, and how unlimited was the confidence with which those who knew him best trusted his acts and the products of his pen. We can here merely mention the names, which point out the locations of the many churches that were blessed by his faithful services. He was pastor at Jackson, Salem, Steelville, Pacific, Slater, Fredericktown, Chaffee, Corder, Owensville and Belle. Besides these, he served a number of churches in the country, of which the names or localities cannot be here stated. His services as representative of the Board of State Missions and Sunday Schools has been mentioned above, and also his work as field editor of the Central Baptist. For a few years he was superintendent of the Orphan's Home. The writer of this sketch of his life, once heard him pleading the cause of the Orphans. His whole heart was in the work. It was not done mechanically, or without zeal. While speaking of the needs of these poor children, who were left without father or mother to care for them, he could not control his own emotions, but with flowing tears and aching heart showed that their interests were to him the object of his own heart's love. He put his whole manhood into his work, and that manhood was tempered by the consciousness that Christianity seeks the best of God's love for every human being. At one time Mr. Bowman engaged in the newspaper business, and issued a weekly paper at Fredericktown, and then engaged in the same work for a short time at Sikeston. This was done because he could not be idle, and as writing was to him a means of doing good, and at this time also one way of supporting his family, it was easy for him to perform the duties of an editor. But his heart was not in any secular employment, and therefore, he was soon in his "loved employ" of preaching the Gospel. That he could have been a triumphant success in this field no one who knew his varied abilities could doubt. But it was a short departure from his life motto: "This one thing I do" – preach the Gospel – and so, as soon as a door opened to him he was again in the pulpit, and so continued to the end of his life. From 1870 onward he attended almost every meeting of the General Association and was fully identified with all the work of the denomination in the State. He was a life member of the General Association, of the Ministerial Aid Society and of the Orphans' Home. He not only gave his time and energies, but also used his own earnings to advance the cause he loved. He kept a complete record of all his work. He recorded the time, place and text of all his sermons. According to this record, from 1873 to 1913, he preached more than 5,000 sermons, baptized 727 believers, married 180 couples, and received for his work $29,800. This made an average salary of $745 per year. But, if from this we should subtract his marriage fees and the expense of travel in his work when preaching to more than one church, as he sometimes did, we can see that he and his wife must have been most careful economists to support a family, and, as they did, keep out of debt. His last pastorate was at Bille, a town of about 600 population in Osage County. Here, on the 16th day of March, 1915, he passed from earth to the kingdom of glory, after a short illness. He was yet in his prime, being only 64 years, 10 months and 9 days of age. His body was brought to Jackson, which had been his home in the days of his youth, and there, after the funeral services conducted by the pastor, Rev. F. W. Carnett, assisted by Rev. F. Y. Campbell and the writer of this sketch of his life, it was by loving hands placed in the grave. After hearing the kind words spoken of him in the church, one man said to his son, J. J. Bowman, "I would rather have those things said about me that were said over his body today, than to be president of the United States." But every word spoken on that occasion was sincerely uttered. Those who spoke, knew him well for many years and meant every kind word that was spoken. As an appropriate close of this brief sketch of his life, the following quotation is taken from a tribute written by his son, and printed in the Word and Way of April 1st, 1915: With the closing of the year he resigned his last pastorate and expressed the belief that his work was about done. Though seriously ill only a few days, he said he was tired and wanted to rest. He knew he was going and was ready. After a night of suffering, as the morning sun was rising, "God's finger touched him and he slept." As a tired child falls asleep, his spirit entered into that new day of everlasting sunshine to meet his Master whom he has served so long and so faithfully. He crossed over the river and now rests under the shade of the trees. And so we are proud that we can pay him this humble tribute, through our sorrow, for we know that he fought a good fight, he finished the course, he kept the faith, and that a crown was laid up for him. – John J. Bowman. (Source: Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) transcribed by Mary Saggio)
William H. Margrave
The value of that sturdy quality of character which enables one to become what is popularly known as a self-made man has been exemplified in the career of the subject of this sketch, an early settler in Jasper county, Missouri, who lives on section 25, Jasper township.
William H. Margrave was born in Osage county, Missouri, March 13, 1842, a son of Thomas W. and Nancy (West) Margrave. His father, who was a farmer, was born in Kentucky, and in 1848 he removed to Jasper county, Missouri, and located on the Alexander McCann farm. From that place he went to a point four miles from Alba, and he died within the boundaries of section 13, Jasper township, at the age of forty-two years. Anthony Margrave, father of Thomas Margrave and grandfather of William H. Margrave, was a farmer, who moved to Osage county, Missouri, in an early day and died there. Nancy West was also a native of Kentucky. Thomas W. and Nancy (West) Margrave had eight children, and the subject of this sketch was their fourth child and third son in the order of birth. Orphaned at the early age of six, young Margrave came to Jasper county, where he was reared and acquired such an education as he could obtain in the public schools between the ages of six and fourteen years. When he was fourteen years old he took up the battle of life for himself and worked by the month on farms and on state ranches in Kansas. A resident of the Sunflower state from 1859 to 1861, he was for a time a member of the Kansas Home Guards.
In 1864 Mr. Margrave married Mrs. Mary E. Rude, who maiden name was McKinney, a native of Kentucky, who was reared in Missouri and educated at the Osage mission. In 1868 he located on the farm on which he now lives and on which he made all improvements and erected all buildings. It consists of three hundred and twenty acres of good land, all under cultivation, and he gives attention to general farming and stock-raising, making a specialty of hogs and thoroughbred cattle. Formerly he was for some years in the cattle trade, buying, shipping and selling quite extensively. Politically a Democrat, he takes an active interest in public affairs, and has been a member of the school board of his township for twenty-five years. A pioneer in the county, he has evidenced much public spirit and has been closely identified with the advancement of all general interests. He and his brother, T.P. Margrave, are the only survivors of their family. T.P. Margrave lives at Pittsburg, Kansas.
William H. and Mary E. (McKinney) Margrave had a daughter named Emma, who is dead. After the death of his first wife Mr. Margrave married Miss Betty Johnson, who has borne him five children, named as follows: William A., Fannie, Myrtle and Charles B. (twins) and Benjamin H. [Source is: The biographical record of Jasper County, Missouri By Malcolm G. McGregor (1901). Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
W. A. Reynolds
REYNOLDS, W. A., real estate, Tulsa, born Osage county. Mo., February 10, 1876, son of H. H. and Lydia Reynolds. Educated in the public schools of Missouri; votes Democrat ticket. (Source: Men of Affairs and Representative Institutions of Oklahoma 1916. Submitted by Vicki Hartman)
Copyright © Genealogy Trails