Welcome to
Perry County, Missouri

Part of Genealogy Trails

Volunteers Dedicated to free Genealogy!




line
Perry County Biographies
line

 


Charles F. Lawrence, a resident of Lithium and founder of that village, is a native of Germany, born in 1836. When eight years old he came with his parents, Henry and Henrietta Lawrence, to America. After living for a time in New Orleans the family came to Missouri, and lived at Jackson until after the death of the father. They then removed to Fredericktown, where, in 1849, the mother died leaving five children, none of whom were grown. Of these five children only three are now alive. They are Henry, a merchant at Doran, Mo.; the subject of this sketch, and Mary, the wife of Judge Adolph Carron of Ste. Genevieve County. After the death of his mother Charles obtained a position in a store as clerk in Ste. Genevieve, and with the proceeds of his salary began business for himself in 1860 seven miles from that city. During the war he removed his stock of goods to Ste. Genevieve, and in 1866, in partnership with his brother, Henry, he engaged in the mercantile and milling business at what is now Lawrenceton. At the end of eight years Charles removed to St. Mary’s, and conducted a store in that town until 1880, when he purchased a tract of land upon which is situated the village of Lithium. There he erected a fine residence on an eminence overlooking the village and the river. The famous Lithium Spring, recently discovered on his land, was donated by him to the town, to which he has made other liberal donations. It was also through his influence that a postoffice was established at this place in 1885. He is the owner of a saw and gristmill near the village, which he contemplates converting into a merchant mill. A stock company will be organized, and the latest improved machinery put into it. Mr. Lawrence was married in 1860 to Philomene Carron, and to them have been born nine children, Joseph C., Francis W., Andrew T., who married Rosa Blanford, Mary E., Amos, Maximus, Jules, Florence and Cleveland.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Maj. Felix Layton was born in Perry County, Mo., on November 20, 1831. He is a son of John B. and Elizabeth (Hagan) Layton. (For a history of the Hagan family see sketch of Gregory Brewer.) Five brothers, John, Joseph, Zachariah, Barnard and Ignatius Layton, removed from Maryland, their native State, to Marion County, Ky., and from thence, with the exception of Joseph, who died in Kentucky, to Perry County, Mo., in 1808, and settled in Central, Saline and St. Mary’s Townships. Their father was born in England. These brothers were all married in Kentucky, and reared in that State and Missouri large families, there being now fully 200 descendants from them in Perry County. John B., son of Joseph Layton and the father of the subject of this sketch, reared a family of fifteen children, and three of his sons reared families as large: Augustine, fifteen, Simeon, also fifteen, and Felix, sixteen. John B. Layton was thrice married, and died in Perry County, in 1866, aged seventy-one years. His uncle, John, and the grandfather of Mrs. Felix Layton, was one of the early judges of Perry County, and also represented the county in the Legislature. Mrs. Layton’s brother, Thomas, was for several years sheriff of Perry County, and is now a druggist in St. Louis. Felix Layton’s marriage with Melissa A. Layton was celebrated on February 21, 1854. She was a daughter of Augustine Layton, a son of Hon. John Layton. Her mother’s maiden name was Lucinda Riney, whose parents came from Maryland to Missouri in 1808. During the war of the Rebellion, Maj. Felix Layton did noble service for his country. He enlisted in Company C, Fourth Missouri Regiment, and was commissioned second lieutenant. Re-enlisting in the spring of 1862, he was commissioned captain of Company B, Sixty-Fourth Regiment of Missouri State Militia, but he soon resigned to accept a position on the staff of Gen. James R. McCormack with the rank of major. In May, 1863, Gen. McCormack detached Maj. Layton from his staff, and placed him in command of 400 men on duty in Southeast Missouri. Seven months later he tendered his resignation as aid-de-camp, and assisted in recruiting a company of which he was elected first lieutenant. The company was attached to the Forty-seventh Missouri volunteers as Company B, and was mustered in on August 29, 1864, being mustered out on March 29, 1865. Maj. Layton returned to his farm, and lived a retired life until he was elected to represent his party in the State Legislature in 1880, which position he filled creditably. His children who are living are Ann A. (Mrs. James Manning), John B. (who married Annetta Fenwick), Mary L. (Mrs. Isidore Tucker), Melissa M. (Mrs. Ferdinand Tucker), Paschal E., Mary E., Mary Eveline and Mary A. Those dead are Joseph T., Joseph P., Lewis D., Mary J., Felix and two that died unnamed.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Thomas H. Layton was born in Perry County on May 28, 1844, and is a son of John B. and Matilda (Simpson) Layton, early settlers of the county. (For a history of the Layton family see sketch of Maj. Felix Layton.) The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in his native county. He was first a pupil under the instruction of Col. R.M. Brewer, and afterward finished his education at St. Mary’s Seminary. After finishing his education he taught school in the county for several years, and in the meantime was united in marriage with Emeline M. Tucker, a daughter of Stephen L. Tucker, who died in the army. When but a child she lost her mother. Their marriage was celebrated on July 11, 1869, and six children grace their home, viz.: Julian (now attending school at St. Mary’s Seminary), Martha A. (a student of St. Mary’s Convent, St. Louis), Elizabeth, William D., Joseph V. and Caroline. While a student Mr. Layton mastered the science of surveying and engineering, at which, by much practice, he has become an expert. In 1876 he was elected county surveyor, and his superior skill in his profession has brought about his re-nomination and re-election from that time until the present. He is now serving his third term, having received a majority greater than any other time during his candidacy, and one greater than received by any of his predecessors. On February 22, 1877, he was commissioned notary public, and has been successively re-appointed. During the war he served one year in the Sixty-Fourth Missouri State Militia and the Eighth Enrolled Missouri Militia, the most of which time he was hospital steward under Dr. Fleming, of Fredericktown. He was but sixteen years of age at the time of his enlistment. Since filling the office of county surveyor Mr. Layton has surveyed the village of Lithium and its additions and Brewerville, also has resurveyed Claryville and a part of Altenburg.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

William Litsch (deceased) was born in the Grand Duchy of Baden, Germany, in 1828, and was a son of Joseph Litsch, who was a baker by trade. William was educated in his native country, and at the age of fifteen years entered a large store as an apprentice, and remained three years, at the end of which time he learned bookkeeping. When twenty-one years of age he was drafted into the army, but, being opposed to the Emperor and his party, escaped to America. Upon coming to the United States he located in St. Louis, and was employed in a butcher shop. In 1849 he came to Perry County, Mo., and soon hired as clerk in a general store in the country. In 1853 he married Miss Francisca Armbruster, also a native of the Grand Duchy of Baden, born in 1827. With three of her sisters she came to the United States in 1848. Seven children were born to this union, four of whom are living, viz.: Julia (Mrs. Jacob Killian), Tresa (Mrs. Kendrich Hayden), Charles, and Emma (Mrs. Thomas L. Phillips). Immediately after his marriage Mr. Litsch established a general store four miles east of Perryville, but removed to Perryville in 1865, where he continued in business the remainder of his life; his death occurred on December 16, 1876. He possessed fine business capacity, and was very successful. For years he was one of the leading merchants of Perry County, and was universally respected. He was always charitable to all commendable enterprises, ever working for the advancement and prosperity of his county, and his death was a severe loss to his family and to the community. He was appointed treasurer of Perry County in April, 1865, and, being elected to the same office in 1866, he was re-elected every two years thereafter as long as he lived. Since his death his widow has resided in the home he left her. She is a zealous member of the Roman Catholic Church, and is a very estimable lady. Charles Litsch will begin merchandising at the old stand of William Furth in Perryville, and will put in a $9,000 stock of goods. He was educated in the public schools of Perryville, with eighteen months at St. Vincent’s College at Cape Girardeau. In 1878 he went to St. Louis, and worked for about eighteen months as salesman in a wholesale fancy and notion house, after which he returned to Perryville and hired to William Furth, by whom he has since been employed. For the past eighteen months he has been Mr. Furth’s bookkeeper. He has had experience in all branches of merchandising, which amply fits him to carry on an establishment on his own responsibility.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Gabriel Lottes, a retail liquor dealer of Altenburg, Mo., was born in Germany, in the Kingdom of Bavaria, in 1841. He is the son of John and Kunigurda Lottes, both of whom were natives of Germany. John Lottes was born in 1808 and was a shoemaker by trade. He died in 1853. He and wife were the parents of seven children, four of whom are living. Gabriel Lottes landed in America on April 24, 1868. He located at Appleton, Cape Girardeau Co., Mo., and remained four years engaged in brewing, when he came to Altenburg and engaged in his present business. He has accumulated considerable wealth and owns some nice property in town. In 1872 he was united in marriage with Ann Doenhoefer, who died leaving one child, John E. In 1878 Mr. Lottes married Mary Ludwig, by whom he has four children: Louisa, Josie, Leo and Edward. In politics Mr. Lottes endorses and supports the principles of the Republican party.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

William A. Lueders is a son of Henry and Augusta Lueders, natives of Germany. Henry Lueders was born in the Kingdom of Hanover in 1806. He served in the civil service of that kingdom for forty-five years, and in 1865 came to America. He resided for awhile in both Altenburg and Frohna, Perry County, but his home was in St. Louis at the time of his death in 1873. His wife was born in 1807, and by her marriage with him became the mother of twelve children, of whom nine are living. She is still alive, and resides in St. Louis. William A. was born in the Kingdom of Hanover in 1839, and received his education in his native country. He, however, was but fourteen years of age when he landed in America. The oldest children of the family came to this country first, and the others followed when they reached the age of fourteen years. He began business life as a clerk in a store, and has always followed mercantile pursuits. His first business for himself was at New Wells, Cape Girardeau Co., Mo., where he established a general store in 1860. Four years later he sold out and removed to Wittenberg and resumed the mercantile business, which he has very successfully continued. Besides his store he is a proprietor of a livery stable in Wittenberg, and is one of the most thrifty business men of the town, as well as one of the best citizens of the county. In 1860 he married Theresia Lehner, a native of Austria, who was born in 1843. They are the parents of twelve children, of whom nine are living: Gustave, Josephina, Clara, Emma, Richard, Albert, Dora, Otto and Rudolph.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

August Lueders, a general merchant of Frohna, Mo., of the firm of Lueders & Goehring, is one of the prominent business men of Southeast Missouri. He was born in the Kingdom of Hanover in 1836, and is a son of Henry and Augusta Lueders (see sketch of William A. Lueders). August Lueders was the second child of the family. In 1850, when fourteen years of age, he came to America, landing at Wittenberg, Mo. He labored under many disadvantages, being a poor boy and unacquainted with the language and customs of this country, but he possessed an unusual amount of energy and determination. Early in life he manifested a taste for merchandising, and had sold goods in the fatherland when twelve years of age. Immediately after landing at Wittenberg he went to St. Louis, where for three years he was employed as clerk in a mercantile house. At the expiration of that time he came to Frohna, Mo., and commenced business for himself in a log cabin with a capital of $35. About one year later he built a frame store building, to which he made several additions and use for his business until 1882. It still stands as a monument of enterprise for its day. Mr. Lueders’ business in shipping grain has been immense in the past, his annual shipments amounting to $90,000. He built his present commodious business house in 1882, which is conceded to be one of the best in Southeast Missouri. On the 1st of January, 1888, Ferdinand E. Goehring and Charles Lueders became partners in business. In March of this year the firm opened a branch store at what is known as “Seventy-six Landing,” Mo., and he is preparing to do all of his shipping from that point. In 1855 Mr. Lueders was united in marriage with Mary Roth, who was born in Byrne, Germany, in 1835. To them have been born twelve children – nine sons and three daughters. Those living are Mary, Charles, Henry, Theodore, Louis, Anna, August, Martin, Edward and Paul.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.




Return to

Perry County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails