Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy!
CHARLES F. NEESON
Proprietor of the city mills. Mr. Neeson was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1846. His father, Robert Neeson, still resides in the Old Country, aged 80 years. His mother, Susan, nee Gray, still lives. Charles Neeson came to America in 1870, locating in Cass County, Ill., and engaged in milling one year, after which he came to Cooper County, Mo., where he again engaged in milling until 1875, when he came to Sedalia and bought an interest in the Farmers Mill, where he has since been in business. Mr. Neeson was married in June, 1881, to Jane Franklin, of Sedalia. Mr. Neeson is a member of the I.O.O.F.
President of the First National Bank, Sedalia, Mo. Mr. Newkirk was born in Brown County, Ohio, March 12, 1821. His father, Henry Newkirk, was also a native of Ohio, who died when the subject of this sketch was a boy. When he became a young man he engaged as clerk in an iron smelting works at Hanging Rock, Ohio. He continued in this business about eighteen years, soon having become a partner in the firm. During this time he superintended two of the largest iron manufactories in that district. He first met Col. A.D. Jaynes, who also became a partner with him in the Vinton furnace, in Vinton, which they sold in 1861. From 1861 to 1865, he was engaged in the mercantile business at his old home in Brown County, Ohio. In the summer of 1865, he came to Missouri and spent between three and four weeks looking for a location with a view of locating upon a site which was destined to become a great railroad center, and although Sedalia at this time was a small settlement, the wisdom of his choice in investing here and bending his energies to the accomplishment of his favorite project is well attested. Soon after coming here Mr. Newkirk and Col. Jaynes established the First National Bank, of which Mr. Newkirk has been either president or cashier ever since. They immediately secured the old charter of the road known as the Tebo and Neosho Railroad, and organized a company which began building at Sedalia, in the direction of Ft. Scott. This is now the M., K. & T. R.R. These gentlemen were the prime movers in the enterprises which have resulted in making Sedalia the flourishing city and railroad center which it now is. He was married Dec. 19, 1849, to Rebecca Isaminger, a native of Ohio. They have six children, all living: Mary, the wife of S.S. Woodard, of Brookfield, Mo.; Emma, the wife of E.A. Philips, of Sedalia; Ida B., at Wellesly College, Mass.; Lucy, Alice and Albert. Mr. Newkirk has ever been identified with enterprises calculated to build up the city and county; a man held in high esteem by his neighbors and fellow citizens. Although well up in years, he is still actively engaged in business, devoting the most of his time to the bank of which he is president. He has amassed a handsome fortune, and were it not for his habits of industry formed in his younger years, could well afford to retire from an active business life. He owns an elegant residence property, on the corner of Ohio street and Broadway, which is among the finest in the city, and one which would do credit to a much larger place. In 1847, Col. Jaynes became treasurer of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad, which demanded so much of his time that Mr. Newkirk now took the position of cashier, and Col. Jaynes that of president. They each retained these positions until the 19th of July, 1880, when Col. Jaynes ceased to be actively engaged in the bank, (although still interested in it), and Mr. Newkirk was again chosen president, which position he has ever since retained.
Ebenezer Miles Norton
In the year 1820, my Father (Ebenezer Miles Norton) having had a spell of sore eyes, and not feeling robust attended one or two terms of school at Litchfield Highschool, Connecticut, and while there Judge Holmes was seeking somebody to assist him in surveying some land he had bought in Ohio, and as Father was anxious to see the West, (as Ohio was then called the West) he thought it a good chance to go. When he told Captain Norton (his Father) he was going to Ohio, grandfather said, it would be better for Father to stay and finish his education, and at the sane time he could look after the old farm, and his Father proposed he would go in Father's place, and if grandfather liked the country, he could sell out the old farm, and all go to Ohio; so as proposed grandfather went instead of Father.
In about 1822, grandfather had come back from Ohio, sold the old Litchfield Connecticut farm, and in company with my Father and his brother Frederick, started for Ohio. Uncle William D. Norton, my Father's oldest brother, was then with his uncle, David McNeil, in Vienna, now called Phelps, New York, and also a younger brother, Isaac McNeil Norton, was there, clerking for his Uncle, David McNeil Their Uncle, David McNeil was engaged with Bartle in the manufacturing of axes, and finally in the transportation of goods. They owned a steamboat which they decided to sell, and Uncle William D. Norton went down to Albany and after selling the steamboat, was found the next morning, dead in bed at a hotel (supposed to have been apoplexy). His Uncle, David McNeil, died soon after and he was found to be insolvent and his property was sold at a sacrifice. In the meantime, my father with his brother Frederick, and their own Father had gone on to Ohio, where they found their log cabin built and five acres of land cleared, as had been previously arranged by our Grandfather.
That same fall, 1822, Grandfather went back to Connecticut and completed the arrangements. On the first night of their arrival, they stayed with Thomas Cook who lived about a mile from their home. Thomas Cook had looked after the building of this house and the clearing of the five acres of land and had the logs piled and brush ready for burning. In the spring of 1823 they started bringing the remainder of his family to Ohio, namely, Grandmother, my father's younger brothers, Birdsey Baldwin, Elisha Andrus, Samuel Erastus, Lauren Corodon, and their sister Lucinda; also taking with them Grandfather's foster mother, Granny Hosford, who was nearly eighty years old.
The Judge Holmes' tract of land was laid off in five mile squares, each called a township, and each township was laid off in twenty-five lots of one hundred acres each, and the center of each township was to be the post-office, called the Center, but section and one-fourth section or in thirty-six squares of three hundred and twenty, acres each, interfered with the old Connecticut Western Reserve, and could not make the lines meet nor make roads agree, hence plenty of disputes and crooked roads.
The land chosen by Captain Norten was on the south part of the Reserve, and south part of Medina Co., Westfield Township, Ohio. My Father bought of his Father one hundred acres, and was to pay for it in work, $2.50 per acre. This land joined on Wayne Co. which was layed off in squares of six miles each and hence could not make roads to suit end of township lines, and many farms were cut up with roads. Father's one hundred was cut north and south by road leaving about 15 acres east of road and 85 west of road. My Father built his house on the west side of the road, while the house built by my grandfather was built on the east of the road, the road also cutting off 8 or 10 acres from the one hundred leaving 90 acres on the west.
Grandfather put out most of his land east of road in fruit trees, and lived in his log house until my Father left home, in 1827. Then grandfather built west of the road, and soon after this, grandfather died leaving grandmother to live with uncle Birdsey, grandmother having owned one hundred acres of this home, had deeded it to Uncle Birdsey for her,a nd grandfather's maintenance, as long as they lived.
Grandma often spun yarn and made mittens, and kept her grandchildren supplied with mittens and each pair was tied together with a woolen cord to hang about the neck, but often it would break and then one mitten would be lost. She would then make another with a new cord and in the winter we kept her quite busy.
Grandmother Norton had lots of geese and each month would pick them, then we boys would catch the geese for her to pick. She had a muzzle to put over the mouth of the geese so. [Source: "Jottings of the Nortons and his own life by William D. Norton" Sedalia, Mo., written in 1907 and 1908. Submitted by: Rex Bosse] READ MORE ABOUT THIS FAMILY
GEO. B. NORTON
Of the firm Norton & Green, grocers and provision dealers. Was born in 1839, in Medina County, Ohio, and is the son of Birdsey B. Norton, a native of Connecticut, who is still living at the old homestead in Medina County, having settled there in 1821, where George B., the subject of this sketch, was born. His mother, whose maiden name was Emily M. Ward, was born in Canada, and died in the year of 1854. He was reared on a farm, receiving his early education in the district schools of that locality. He afterward attended Berea University, Ohio, after which he engaged in teaching school for some time. Young Norton completed his college course in 1859, and went to Wisconsin, where he engaged in the manufacture and sale of force pumps, which business he followed for three years. In the spring of 1862, he returned to his home in Ohio and soon afterward enlisted in Company K, 103rd Ohio Regiment Infantry. He was in active service until the close of the war, serving as Sergeant and Second Lieutenant, having been appointed about the close of the first year. He was soon after commissioned First Lieutenant, which he held till the close of the war, being most of the time in command of the company. During his career as a soldier, Mr. Norton served under Generals Burnside and Sherman, taking part in the battle of Armstrong Hill, and also one at Greenville, Tenn., with the former, after which he was transferred to Gen. Sherman's command, and was with him during his campaign in Georgia. During his service in the war he escaped being taken prisoner, or severe bodily injury, although on many occasions his clothing was pierced by bullets, and at one time he lost the rim of his hat by a bullet passing through it and carrying it away. On Oct. 29, 1865, he was married to Miss Sarah R. Lamm, of Wayne County, O., and daughter of Phillip Lamm, of that place, and in November of the same year, accompanied by his wife, he came to Sedalia. After a short residence here, Mr. Norton purchased a farm about four miles from Sedalia, where he was engaged in farming and school teaching until 1873, when he rented his farm and came to Sedalia, and for some time was engaged in selling family medicines and notions, traveling the greater part of his time through Southwest Missouri. In 1876, he entered the Co-operative Store as salesman, where he remained until 1879, when he and Mr. Chas. O. Green, his present partner, bought the store, and have ever since been identified as the leading retail grocers of Sedalia. Their store is situated on Ohio street, between Second and Third streets, and the stock of goods which they carry is not only one of the largest and most complete, but for quality and freshness their goods cannot be excelled by any house in Sedalia. Mr. Norton belongs to the prominent lodges of the city, and he and his wife are members of the Congregational Church. Mrs. Norton conducts a large millinery establishment on Ohio street, between Main and Second streets, where she has a large assortment of millinery and fancy goods. They have two children, Willis C. and Lilian C.
JAMES M. OFFIELD
Of J.M. Offield & Co., hardware merchants. Mr. Offield was born in 1842, in Polk County, Missouri. His father, Lewis D., a native of Virginia, located in Polk County, Missouri, in 1837. His mother, Martha, nee Spicer, was a native of Tennessee. Mr. Offield's ancestry are of English descent. J.M. Offield was educated at Bolivar, Mo. He afterwards served as a salesman for some years. In 1865, he came to Sedalia, where he was ticket agent for the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad two years. In 1867 he entered the grocery house of Messrs. Hall & Beiler, where he remained until 1873, when he went to Sherman, Texas, where he engaged in the wholesale grocery trade, until 1879, when he returned to Sedalia, and engaged in hardware trade, which he still continues. In 1880, he built the large brick block at the corner of Second and Osage streets, which is one of the very finest in the city, where he has a very extensive stock of hardware. In 1881 Mr. R.T. Gentry became a partner with him in this house. Mr. Offield was married in 1866 to Allie B. Gentry, daughter of Major Wm. Gentry, of this county. They have two children, Gentry, James M., Jr. Mr. Offield is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and Knights of Pythias. Mr. Offield is a prominent business man of this city, and his large trade is evidence of his enterprise. A cut of his elegant business block on the northwest corner of Osage and Second streets is found on page 423 of this volume.
RICHARD M. OLMSTED
Of the firm of Olmsted & Jefferson, livery and feed stable. Mr. Olmsted was born in 1849, in Jersey County, Ill. His father, Richard, was a native of New York State. His mother, Louisa, nee Crabb, a native of Tennessee. Richard M. began railroading when but a boy, and followed it for several years. In 1874, he came to Sedalia, and engaged in transfer business until the spring of 1882, when he, with his partner, built the large livery and sale stable, where they are now in business. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. He was married in 1876 to Mattie Bowlin, of Versailles, Mo. They have two children, Wilson H. and Bessie P.
DR. J.M. OVERSTREET
Was born Feb. 4, 1830, in Mercer County, Kentucky. His father, Robert Overstreet, died at his old home in 1855. His mother, Jane, nee Lowrey, was a native of the same State, and died in 1879, at the advanced age of eighty-two years. His father served in the war of 1812, under General Harrison, and was a personal friend of the General. Dr. J.M. was educated in the schools of the County where he was born, and in 1850 began the study of medicine. He graduated from the University of Louisville, Ky., in 1854. He afterward emigrated to Missouri, locating in the neighborhood of Smithton, Pettis County, and engaged in the practice of his profession. Here he remained but a short time, when he went to Monmouth, Ill., where he practiced medicine until the fall of 1860, when he returned to Smithton, where he remained until 1879, when he came to Sedalia, and here he has ever since remained. Dr. Overstreet was married in 1859 to Martha L. Philips, daughter of Rev. J.R. Philips, of Warren County, Ill. His wife died Sept. 9, 1880. She was a very worthy member of the Presbyterian Church in Warren County, Ill. She was buried in the Kirkwood Cemetery, Warren County, Ill. He has three children living, named respectively: Harry, now with Myres Bros., druggists, of Kansas City; Robert R., Carrie, deceased, and Lena B. Dr. Overstreet is a member of the Presbyterian Church, in high standing.
COL. JOHN F. PHILIPS
Was born Dec. 31, 1834, in Boone County, Mo., on the homestead founded by his father in 1817. His father was John G. Philips, who was a native of Virginia. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and participated in the battles of Tippecanoe and the Thames. After the war he settled in Kentucky, and married Mary Copeland in Mercer County, Ky. In 1817 they moved to Boone County, Mo., where he lived until his death in 1867. He was a mechanic and farmer, successful in business and respected and honored by all. The subject of this sketch was his youngest child. He was reared upon the farm, and attended the usual district schools. He was also a student at the State University at Columbia, Mo. From there he went to Centre College, Ky., where he graduated in 1855. Returning home he read law under Gen. John B. Clark, Sr., of Fayette, Mo. In 1856-7 he located at Georgetown, Pettis County, then the county seat, where he practiced law until the outbreak of the war. In 1857 he was married to Miss Fleecie Batterton, of Danville, Ky., of which marriage there were born two children, Emmet and Hortense. Emmet graduated at the alma mater of this father, under whom he read law and attended the Columbia Law School in the city of New York. He is now practicing his profession in Sedalia. Miss Hortense is now attending Mrs. Cuthbert's Seminary in St. Louis. The State Legislature of 1860-1 called a Convention of Delegates from the Senatorial Districts "to consider the relation of the State to the Federal Union." Mr. Philips was elected a member of that Convention, and although one of its youngest members he took rank in its deliberations as a debator and wise legislator. In the war he warmly espoused the cause of the Union. He raised a regiment of cavalry and served through the war, commanding a brigade, part of the time, under Gens. Schofield and Pleasanton. In 1864, for gallant services in battle, he was appointed Brigadier General by Gov. Willard P. Hall, and by Gen. Rosecrans placed in command of the District of Central Missouri, which position he held until mustered out in 1865. At the close of the war the Colonel resumed the practice of law at Sedalia, where he has ever since resided. In 1866 he and Judge Russell Hicks formed a partnership, and shortly afterward George H. Vest joined the firm, and he and Col. Philips continued together until lately, when Mr. Vest was elected to the Senate of the United States. As advocates they achieved a wide reputation and commanded all the practice they could do. In politics Col. Philips is a Democrat, and few men in Missouri have done more to lift high his party's standard than he. He opposed the Drake Constitution in 1865, canvassed with Gen. Blair in 1866; led the forlorn hope of the Democracy in his district for Congress in 1868, and through the disfranchisement of thousands of voters he was beaten, but his burning words of patriotism and invectives kindled a spirit that renewed the fight for this gallant leader, until in 1874 he was again nominated and triumphantly elected to the Forty-Fourth Congress, in which he served with rare distinction. Many of his speeches show that he is a thoughtful scholar, of varied literary and practical information. Mr. P. was also a member of the Forty-Sixth Congress, and added much to his already large fame. Could he have been continued there he would have held such rank as to have reflected honor on his native State. He is one of the most attractive campaign speakers in his party, and his services are always in demand over the State. His literary attainments are rare. He has delivered several addresses before the colleges of Missouri and Masonic bodies that left pleasing and enduring impressions. In religion Col. P. is a Presbyterian. In 1877 he was a delegate from the United States to the Pan Presbyterian Convention at Edinburgh, Scotland. He then made a tour of the British Isles and the Continent of Europe, visiting their historic ruins and cities, courts and legislative bodies. He is now engaged in his profession, and enjoys a practice second to few men in the State, and his repeated successes at the bar indicate that he has a still brighter future.
EMMET E. PHILIPS
Attorney at law. Is another of Sedalia's young and enterprising attorneys. He was born in Georgetown, Pettis County, Mo., March 2nd, 1858, and is the son of Col. John F. Philips, whose biography appears on another page of this work. He was educated at the State University of Missouri, and Centre College of Danville, Kentucky, graduating from the latter in 1877. After he received his degree from this institution he commenced the study of law in his father's office. He afterward attended Columbia Law School in New York and graduated from that institution in 1880. That young Philips is "a chip off the old block," is shown by his perseverance and rapid progress in his chosen profession. Being a close student, temperate, and endowed with a quick perception, he has already taken a stand among the practitioners of law, which may well command the respect of that fraternity. He was married Jan. 31st, 1881, to Miss Jennie Sheldon of Sedalia, a native of Chicago, Ill., and a daughter of L.F. Sheldon of the Mutual Telegraph Company.
EUGENE L. PHIPPS
The subject of this sketch was born Dec. 17, 1834, in Framingham, Mass. His father, Joseph Phipps, and mother were natives of the same town, as was also his grandfather. E.L. Phipps was reared and educated in his native town, and at the age of seventeen years he went to Boston and was employed as salesman in a wholesale dry goods establishment of that city. He remained in that position about three years, after which he spent about four years in the west. He then went to New York City and was in the house of H.B. Claflin & Co., as salesman for fourteen years, and in 1871 he came to Sedalia and bought an interest in the wholesale boot and shoe store of W.S. Mackey. Here he remained until 1876, when he engaged in the grocery business, which he has continued until the present time. Mr. Phipps is a member of the Knights of Pythias. The house of E.L. Phipps & Co. was opened in the spring of 1877. They purchased the large brick block on the corner of Ohio and Fourth streets, where they have ever since been engaged in business. The firm of E.L. Phipps & Co. keep a general provision and grocery store, and in connection with it a large and well assorted stock of queensware, and do a large and lucrative business.
DR. WILL H. PIETY
Surgeon dentist. Dr. Piety is a native of Terre Haute, Indiana. His father, Aus. H. Piety, was a native of France, who came to America in 1840, and settled in Terre Haute, Ind., where he still resides. His mother was a Ramsey, of French descent; but she was a native of Terre Haute, Ind. Dr. Piety was educated in his native town. In 1877, he took up the study of dentistry, under Dr. Preston A. Ames, of Baltimore, Md. After graduating he practiced in Terre Haute until March, 1881, when he came to Sedalia, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession.
JOHN W. POHL
Brick manufacturer. Mr. Pohl was born Oct. 19, 1851, in St. Louis, Mo. His father, B.B. Pohl, was a native of Germany. His mother, Margaret, nee Helling, was a native of Prussia. John W. Pohl was reared in St. Louis, where he was brought up to the brick making and contracting business. In 1867, his father removed to Jefferson City, where he and John engaged in contracting and brick making until 1875, when John W. came to Sedalia, where he has followed the same business since. He manufactures over one and a half millions of brick per annum. Mr. Pohl is a member of the Catholic Knights of America. He and his wife are members of the Catholic Church. He was married in 1878 to Jennie Burt, of Sedalia, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, a daughter of John Burt, now of Sedalia. They have one child, Harry B.
THOMAS J. PORTER
Of the firm of Dalby & Porter, wholesale grocers. Mr. Porter was born in 1835, in Fleming County, Kentucky. His father, John S. Porter, was a native of Kentucky, now a resident of Sedalia, in his seventieth year, and has all his life been an active business man until within the past few months. His mother, Elvira, nee VanCamp, is still living. She was a native of Kentucky, also. Thomas J. Porter was reared and educated in Lexington, Mo., graduating from Masonic College, Lexington, in 1853. He was for a time in the drug business in Lexington. Steamboated on the Missouri River, and was in various other kinds of employment until 1876, when he engaged as traveling salesman for J.M. Anderson & Co., wholesale grocers of St. Louis, where he remained until March, 1882, when he engaged in the wholesale grocery house of Dalby & Porter. Mr. Porter and his wife are members of the Christian Church. He is also a member of the A.O.U.W. He was married in 1859 to Miss Sallie Garoy, of Howard County, Mo. They have two children, Ella and Sallie.
Is a native of Boston. His father, Edward F. Porter, is a native of Boston, of which he is still a resident. It was he who built the Porter Block, corner of Main and Ohio streets, Sedalia. W.L. was raised and educated in Boston. In 1868 he came to Sedalia and engaged in the boot and shoe business, and having great confidence in the future of Sedalia, encouraged his father to make investments in real estate here, which have proved to be good investments. In 1879 he sold out his store and has since given his entire time to real estate business. Mr. Porter was married in 1874 to Miss Nettie Rose of Boston. They have one child, Damon L. Mr. and Mrs. Porter are members of the M.E. Church.
Restaurant and confectionery. Mr. Ramsey was born in 1846 in Ireland. In 1851 he came to America, locating at Boonville, Mo. In 1861 he was in Pennsylvania, and enlisted in the Federal Army in the 112th Pennsylvania Regiment, and served three years. Was once taken prisoner, but never wounded, although he saw hard service under his commander, Ben Butler. In 1864 he came to Pettis County and farmed until 1877 when he came to Sedalia, and has been engaged in the auction and commission business, until the fall of 1881, when he opened the restaurant and confectionery store where he is now in business. Mr. Ramsey is a member of the A.O.U.W., for which order he has been receiver for the past two years. Mr. Ramsey is in command of the Queen City Guards, of which he is a charter member. He was married in September, 1870, to Mary Clark, of Cooper County. They have five children, Leonard, Florence, James H., Joseph B., Nellie, and one deceased.
Was born July 18, 1852, in Boonville, Mo. His father, Andrew Ramsey, was a native of Ireland, who came to Boonville in 1849. Now a resident of St. Paul, Minn. His mother, Sarah, nee Harley, was also a native of Ireland. David Ramsey was reared principally in Pettis County and educated at Boonville. After arriving at manhood he engaged in farming for a number of years. In the spring of 1875 he engaged in merchandising at Clifton, Mo. In May, 1877, he removed to Tipton, where he sold goods about one year, after which he came to Sedalia and engaged in grocery business for a time, after which he was in various kinds of business until 1880, when he was appointed clerk for the city of Sedalia, which position he held until the office was changed to that of Water Commissioner, in 1881, at which time he was appointed to that office and filled it until the spring of 1882. Mr. Ramsey was married Nov. 5, 1872, to Miss Sadie McCarty of Boonville, Mo., a daughter of William McCarty, one of the early settlers and prominent merchants of that city. They have two children, Maud and May.
Queen City Trunk Factory. Mr. R. was born March 27, 1849, in St. Louis, Mo. His father, Henry, was a native of Germany. Julius was reared in St. Louis, where he learned the trunk manufacturing business in his boyhood, beginning at the age of fourteen years. In 1871 he engaged in business for himself in St. Louis, where he remained until 1878, when he came to Sedalia and opened the factory and store where he has ever since been engaged, on Ohio street, near Third. Here he manufactures all kinds of trunks, valises, and everything in his line. His work took the first premium ever taken at the Sedalia fair. Mr. R. is a member of the I.O.O.F. He was married in 1872 to Anna Nichter, of St. Louis; they have three children, Alfred, Irwin and Walter.
JOHN W. RAYNOR
One of the most popular freight conductors of the Missouri Pacific, is the subject of this sketch, John W. Raynor. He is the son of Thomas Raynor, a native of England, but who emigrated to the United States in the fall of 1838. He first settled in Addison County, Vermont. He afterwards moved to Ohio, where he died in the year 1864. The subject of this sketch was born in Cornwall, Addison County, Vermont, Oct. 6, 1840. He received his education in the schools of Vermont and Ohio. After completing his education he learned the carriage painter's trade. He followed his trade for four years, when he accepted a position as brakeman on the Chicago & Alton Railroad, where he remained about six years; then, in the fall of 1872, he accepted a position as conductor on the St. Louis & Southeastern Railroad, remaining about eighteen months, when he went to the Wabash and accepted a position as conductor. In the spring of 1875 he invented a car mover. At this time he was engaged for about one year in selling the right to his patent. He also invented a street car starter, and engaged for a few months in selling interests in the same. Mr. R. has also invented other patents. In the spring of 1878, he accepted a position with the Missouri Pacific, as conductor, which position he still holds. He was married April 28, 1868, to Miss Mary A. Gorman. From this union there were eight children, six of whom are now living, viz.: Helena, Frances, Geo. E., Ralph H., Mary G. and Robert.
PROF. GEORGE W. READY
Born in Fulton County, Pa., Aug. 12, 1836. Son of Alexander Ready, who died at the age of forty, and Susan, nee Miller, still living in Fulton County, Pa. Prepared in a private Academy to enter the Sophomore class of Allegheny College, Meadville, Pa., and graduated from that institution in 1858. The same year he became Principal of Linwood Academy, near Lebanon, Tennessee, a large and flourishing institute; held this position till the outbreak of the war. Studied law in St. Louis one year, and entered Michigan University, and graduated in the law department in 1865. Located in Nashville, Tenn., and practiced law successfully two years. Came to Missouri in the summer of 1867, stopped in Sedalia, and in connection with his brother, opened an office, and continued practicing law till the organization of the public schools of Sedalia, in which event he participated, entering upon his work then, which continued ten years. Under his superintendency the schools of the city became equal to the best in the State. Retiring from this position, he purchased property and opened what was known as the Queen City Seminary, northeast corner of Fifth and Lafayette streets. The year was a successful one, closing with seventy-five students. At the end of this year he enlarged his school building, and united his school with the Collegiate Institute, under Prof. J.B. Van Petten, giving to the combined schools the name of Sedalia Seminary, which Institute has been in successful operation three years. In Masonic bodies he has been especially honored, having held the position of Master, High Priest, Thrice Illustrious Grand Master, and Eminent Commander. In church, he is a member and elder in the First Presbyterian Church of this city. Married to Miss Addie M. Dixon, of Meadville, Pa., daughter of Joseph Dixon, who was a soldier of the War of 1812, still living, hale and hearty, at the age of ninety-three years. They have one child, eight years of age, Addie May. Mrs. Ready is also a member of the Presbyterian Church. On account of Prof. Van Petten retiring, Prof. Ready assumes the entire control of the Sedalia Seminary.
Proprietor Enterprise Mills. Mr. Rembaugh was born in Chester County, Pa., in 1848. His father, George D., was a native of the same place. His mother, Elizabeth McCutcheon, was a native of England. Mr. Rembaugh served in the Quartermaster's Department for a short time during the war. In 1869 came to Sedalia and engaged in the dairy business. In 1875 he went to California, where he was in the dairy business one year, after which he returned and was in the same business here until 1879, when he engaged in milling. In 1881 he built the mill known as "The Enterprise," where he is now employed. He was married in 1879 to Miss L.E. Maxon. They have four children - Alonzo E., Florence, Carrie and Harvey.
JUDGE CHARLES RICHARDSON
Insurance Agent. Judge Richardson was born Feb. 16, 1822, in Columbiana County, Ohio. His father, Joseph R., was a native of Pennsylvania. His mother, Lydia Meyers, was a native of Pennsylvania also. Judge Richardson was reared in Ohio. Graduated from Washington College, Pa., in 1846, where he was a classmate of James G. Blaine. In 1845 he was admitted to the bar as a practicing attorney, practicing at Hamilton, Ohio, for some years. In 1853 he built a paper mill at Middleton, Ohio; in 1856 was Mayor of the city; from 1857 until 1861 he lived in St. Louis, Mo., after which he moved on a farm near St. Louis, where he remained until 1865, when he came to Sedalia. In 1866 he bought a farm near Sedalia, where he lived until 1873, when he returned to the city, having been elected Judge of County Court in 1872. Since this time Judge Richardson has lived in the city, practicing law, dealing in groceries and engaging in insurance business. Judge Richardson is at present a member of the School Board. He was married in 1851 to Hannah B. Graham, a native of Cincinnati, by whom he has six children living: Wm. G., now of San Francisco; Benjamin F.S., with Citizens National Bank, Sedalia; James G., Mary Belle, Charles, Anna S., and one deceased.
JOHN B. RICKMAN
Butcher. Alderman of the Third Ward. Mr. Rickman was born in 1840, in England. His father, Edwin, came to America in 1847 and located in Monroe County, N.Y., where John B. was raised and educated. He went to California in 1860 and spent five years mining in California, Australia and New Zealand, after which he returned to Shawneetown, Ill., and engaged in shipping stock for one year. In 1866 he came to Sedalia and engaged in butchering and dealing in stock. He has gained largely in flesh since coming here and now weighs 340 pounds. He is a member of the Knights of Honor, also Knights of Pythias. In 1879 he was elected Alderman from the Third Ward and again in 1881. He was married in 1869 to Annie L. Hill, of Sedalia. They have one child living, Mary N.
PETER B. RIFFE
Was born in 1807, in Casey County, Ky. His father, Christopher Riffe, was born in Maryland, and was a Colonel in the battle of the Thames. He was afterward promoted to General, which title he retained until his death. His mother's maiden name was Elizabeth Casey, a native of Virginia. Peter B., the subject of this sketch, was reared in Kentucky, where he lived the greater part of his life on a farm, and after he had attained his manhood he followed it for many years. After Mr. Riffe left the farm he began the hotel business, in Danville, Ky., where he remained some time. He has filled creditably to himself and his constituents, every office which is county could bestow upon him, (with the exception of County Judge), which fact will show the reader the character of Peter B. Riffe. In 1878 he went to Butler County, Kansas. Here he invested in lands and served two years as Magistrate, after which he came to Sedalia, and now makes his home with his children here. He was married to Julia A. Watkins, a native of Taylor County, Ky., in 1833, and they have four children living, named respectively: Bettie A., the wife of W.T. Cahill, of Sedalia; Roe A., the wife of C.H. Tucker of Sedalia; Jno. W., now of Augusta, Kansas; Doca E., the wife of Jno. W. Garner, of Louisville, Ky., and six deceased. Peter B. Riffe and wife were early members of the Baptist Church.
COL. RICHARD RITTER
The subject of this sketch, Col. Richard Ritter, was born near Petersburg, Sangamon (now Menard) County, Ill., Feb. 4, 1832. His father, John Ritter, was a native of Kentucky, where he resided until 1828, when he removed to Illinois and continued to reside there until his death, which occurred in 1852. His mother, Malinda, nee Watkins, was born and reared in the State of Illinois, and died in 1845. John Ritter was a farmer, and young Richard grew up strong of limb, muscular, full of ambition, nerve and courage; hard working, industrious and intelligent. On attaining his majority, he engaged in mercantile pursuits in Havana, Ill., and continued in that business until 1856, when he was married to Miss Jane Rule, daughter of Samuel Rule, of Mason County, Ill., and of this marriage there have been born three children, of whom two are still living: Alice M. and Richard H., one having died in infancy. In the same year (1856), he was elected Clerk of the Circuit Court, of Mason County, Ill., and during four years discharged the duties of that office with integrity and ability. In 1861 he raised a company of volunteers, of which he was elected Captain, marched them to Camp Butler, Illinois, arriving there August 2nd, being the first company that rendezvoused in that camp. His company was eventually assigned to the 28th Regiment Illinois Infantry Volunteers, designated "Company A," and ordered south October 28th, 1861. February 6th, 1862, Capt. Ritter, in command of his company and accompanying his regiment, participated in the capture of Forts Henry and Heiman, displaying considerable tact, skill and courage in the management of his men in action, and seven days later, (Feb. 13th), while in command of a detachment of 48 men, he met and engaged a squadron of Confederate Cavalry, under Col. Miller, at Little Bethel Church, Tenn., and, after a stubborn contest, defeated the enemy, inflicting serious loss. In the battle of Shiloh, Tenn., April 6th and 7th, 1862, the 28th Illinois Infantry was conspicuously engaged, occupying the peach orchard, and for hours holding the ground against fearful odds. Captain Ritter was in command of his company and lost twenty-one men, killed and wounded. Lieut-Colonel Kilpatrick, of the 28th, was killed in the first day's fight, and immediately after the battle Col. Johnson called together the commissioned officers of the regiment to elect a Lieut-Colonel. During the terrible ordeal through which the regiment had passed in that sanguinary battle, Captain Ritter had acquitted himself with great gallantry and discretion and was by far the most popular officer in the command. The result was that Captain Ritter was nominated for Lieut-Colonel and received all the votes except two, notwithstanding the Major of the regiment was a candidate for promotion. Captain Ritter's bravery in front of the enemy had been so conspicuous that he was known throughout the entire brigade, and the news soon reached the Governor of Illinois, who, when the commission for Lieut-Colonel was brought to him for his signature, caused to be inscribed across its face: "Promoted for meritorious conduct at the battle of Shiloh, April 6th and 7th, 1862." October 15th, 1862, he was engaged in the battle of Hatchie River, Tenn., where he again did gallant service by leading his command in a charge across a bridge swept by the enemy's fire of grape shot from howitzers at short range. The result was a glorious victory for the Union forces, the capture of the enemy's position and 400 prisoners. But the loss to the gallant 28th was something painful to contemplate. Within thirty minutes ninety-eight men were wounded or killed, and among the wounded was Lieut. Col. Ritter. His horse was shot three times during the action, and the Colonel received a wound during the charge, from which at times he still suffers great inconvenience and pain. He was in Grant's celebrated march from Bolivar, Tenn., to Holly Springs and Waterford, Miss., in November and December, 1862; he was engaged in the siege of Vicksburg from June 11th to July 4th, 1863, and July 12th, engaged in a charge against Breckenridge's division at Jackson, Miss., losing out of a command numbering only 128 rank and file, 73 men killed and wounded. Sept. 1, 1863, participated in the capture of Fort Beauregard at Harrisonville, La., and August 4th, commanded an expedition to Black Bayou, doing valuable service. March 27, 1865, he commanded his regiment in the advance on Spanish Fort, Alabama, occupying the extreme right of the division and corps, and during the entire siege of fourteen days held that position, losing fourteen men killed and wounded, including two Captains. April 12, 1865, engaged in a skirmish at Whistler Station, Ala., which was the last fight in which the regiment participated. On the 10th day of May, 1865, Gov. Oglesby ordered four new companies to join the regiment, thus filling it up to the maximum, and Lieut. Col. Ritter was commissioned Colonel. And now we come to the close of his military career; he had been continually in active service in the field from Oct. 28, 1861, a period of nearly four years, during which he endured privations and hardships that would have wrecked a less robust constitution. The war was over, and Col. Ritter, in August, 1865, resigned his commission and returned to his home in Illinois, and in December following visited Sedalia, and removed his family there in 1866. In that year he was appointed road commissioner by the Pettis County Court, and located all the roads in Pettis County leading to Sedalia. The town was fenced in on all sides with scarcely a thoroughfare in any direction, and as the old settlers were strenuously opposed to the location of roads along the section lines, it required the exercise of considerable tact and much good humor and patience in dealing with them. From 1867 to 1870 he was a member of the Sedalia Board of Education, chairman of the committee on buildings, and superintended the construction of Broadway and Franklin school buildings. When he first came to Sedalia he made extensive purchases of real estate and has since invested a large sum of money in building up the city, and at present has large real estate interests in Sedalia and Pettis County. In 1868 he engaged in the lumber business, corner of Third and Osage streets, and, with the exception of one year, has continued in the business at the same place up to the present time. Col. Ritter is a shrewd, enterprising business man, and has applied the methods of military science to his business affairs, and the result is the most perfect order and system in every department. His home life is beautiful. Surrounded by every comfort and convenience, and with abundant means to meet every requirement, he there finds relief and rest from the cares and vexations which inevitably follow in the train of active business pursuits, and enjoys the companionship so dear to the heart of every true man. In all his works and ways he is honorable, truthful and just, a kind husband and father, a consistent and faithful friend, a useful citizen, and an honest man.
WILLIAM H. ROSS
Real estate. Mr. Ross was born April 5, 1838, in Summerset County, Pa. His father, Mark Ross, was a native of Pennsylvania. His mother, Hattie A. Ross, nee Snyder, was also a native of Pennsylvania. William H., the subject of this sketch, was reared in Illinois and educated at Bloomington, Ill., where he engaged in merchandising until 1872, when he went to Carbondale, Ill. In 1875 he came to Sedalia, where he has since been engaged in the real estate business. He was married in 1864 to Mary C. Toms, of Bloomington, Ill. They are both members of the Christian Church. They have five children, George C., Charles T., Edmond, Gilbert, Nellie. During the war Mr. Ross served in the United States army one and a half years.
GEORGE C. ROSS
Of the firm of F.E. Hoffman & Co. Insurance. Mr. Ross was born in 1828 in Bedford County, Pa. His father, Mark Ross, was a native of the same place, as was also his mother, Hester A. Ross, nee Snyder. In 1850, Mr. Ross together with the family, removed to Bloomington, Ill. In 1852 he went to California, where he was engaged in stock business and mining until 1866, when he returned to Bloomington and engaged in insurance until 1875, when he came to Sedalia, where he has since been engaged in insurance. Mr. Ross was married in 1859 to Mary Flanary. They have four children living, William E., Emma G., Annie F., Frank C., and three dead.
SIMON P. ROWLETT
Simon P. Rowlett, son of John Rowlett, a native of Kentucky, was born April 8, 1824, in Henry County, Ky., lived with his father until 1845, learning his trade and working at the business of manufacturing and laying brick. When he became of age he commenced the business in all of its branches on his own account. During his boyhood his father moved to Putnam County, Ind., followed brick-laying until 1842, when he returned to his former residence in Kentucky, the name of the county being changed to Trimble. Here he continued the business in Trimble and adjoining counties until May, 1852, when he moved to Louisville, Ky. On Nov. 8, 1850, he was married to Lucy A., daughter of Monarch and Ann Murphy, of Trimble County, Ky. On the 16th day of November, 1851, his first son, Alonzo B., was born (six months before moving to Louisville). At the latter place his son George W. was born, Feb. 22, 1854. In December, 1854, moved to Pettis County, Mo.; settled near Longwood, purchased a farm and followed farming and brick-laying until the commencement of the war. In 1862 he was appointed Postmaster of Longwood, which office he held until he moved his family to Mattoon, Ill., in 1863. At this place he followed his trade - brick-laying - exclusively until 1866, when he went to Lebanon, St. Clair County, Ill. Here he built several public buildings - M.E. Church, Gymnasium for the McKendree College; also a fine residence. In 1867 he returned to Missouri - to Moniteau County - where he built the court house for that county. In 1868 he returned to Pettis County, manufactured the brick for and erected the residence of A.D. Jaynes, C. Newkirk, A. Parker and Charles Lesher, all of which are on Broadway, Sedalia. Mr. Rowlett has built several fine buildings in Pettis and adjoining counties, viz.: Charles Leonard's residence, Latour's Block and D.H. Smith's business house. The names of Mr. Rowlett's children who were born in Pettis County are John M., born May 12, 1857; Wm. A., born Aug. 27, 1859; Mary F., born Feb. 21, 1862. Frank H. was born Feb. 19, 1865, in Cole County, Ill.; Anna May, Aug. 17, 1868; Lucy, Sept. 10, 1871, in Pettis County, Mo. Anna May died Dec. 25, 1869, and was buried at Knobnoster. Lucy A., mother of the above named children, died May 29, 1872, at Brownsville, Saline County, the family being there temporarily while Mr. Rowlett was engaged on several buildings. July 16, 1874, Mr. S. Rowlett was married on Mrs. Elizabeth Collins, who had two children whose names were Estella and James. Estella was born Dec. 5, 1858, and James was born Jan. 31, 1861. Alonzo B. Rowlett was married to Estella, daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth C. Rowlett, Nov. 16, 1878. Alonzo B. succeeds his father in contracting and brick-laying. Mr. S.P. Rowlett now gives his attention to gardening and fruit-raising in the suburbs of Sedalia.
Ye masons that work in stone, mortar and brick,
And lay your foundation deep, solid and thick,
Though hard be your labor yet lasting your fame;
Both Egypt and China your wonders proclaim.
FRANCIS A. SAMPSON
Attorney at law, Sedalia. Was born February 6, 1842, in Harrison County, Ohio. His father, Francis Sampson, was a native of Ireland, and came to America in 1823, and died in 1867. His mother was born in Wales, and is still living in Ohio. Mr. Sampson, the subject of our sketch, was educated at the College of the City of New York, graduating in 1865, with the degree of A.B., and three years later the degree of A.M. was conferred upon him. He afterwards read law two years in the office of Lewton & Shepherd, in Cadiz, Ohio, at the expiration of which time he was admitted to the bar. Mr. Sampson was a zealous student, attending the law school of the University of New York, one year after his admittance to the practice of law, and graduating in 1868, at which he was chosen valedictorian of his class, an honor of which he may well be proud. He then came to Sedalia, Mo., and engaged in the practice of his profession with his brother, A.J. Sampson, who had preceded him to Missouri, but who is now in Denver, Colorado, and who was the first Attorney-General of that State. After his brother left Sedalia, Mr. Sampson continued his practice alone. He is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, has served two years as High Priest in Sedalia, Chapter No. eighteen. At present is Worshipful Master of Sedalia Lodge No. 236. He was married July 19, 1869, to Harriet T. Lacey, nee Maiden, of Wolverhampton, England, widow of Wm. B. Lacey, deceased, of the wholesale dry goods house of Chambers, Stevens & Co., Cincinnati, Ohio. She has three children living by her first husband, William B., Walter M. and Harry H. Mr. Sampson has by her two children, one living, Belle; Leroy Vernon died suddenly at Sweet Springs, June 28, 1879, aged nine years. He is the possessor of one of the largest private collections of rare and valuable curiosities in Missouri. It consists of specimens from almost every kingdom from the mineral up. This he prizes highly, and to the lover of the studies of nature it affords a field for hours of careful thought. His studies and researches in paleontology and conchology have been recognized by several species having been named for him. A land shell - Polygyra sampsoni - by Prof. Wetherby, of the University of Cincinnati; A Cretaceous fossil - Ostrea sampsoni - by Dr. White, of the Smithsonian Institution, and a Pentrimite by Dr. Hamback, of the Washington University. He is a valuable contributor to the Kansas City Review of Science and Industry, and his articles are extensively read. Mr. Sampson is a man who is recognized as a leader of his profession. Possessed of a remarkable memory, his mind has become a store-house of legal and classic lore. It can be truthfully said of him, that he is a finished scholar, a profound jurist, able advocate, polite and cultivated gentleman. In all the relations of life, as citizen, husband, father and friend he is true to his duties and obligations, and esteemed and honored by all with whom he associates. Earnest and zealous as an advocate, he is, nevertheless, courteous and respectful to his brother lawyers and younger members of his profession.
GEORGE H. SANFORD
Of the firm of Ritter & Co., lumber dealers. Was born in Baltimore, Md., in 1824. His father, William Sanford, was a native of Maryland, and his mother a native of Pennsylvania. George H. was reared and educated in Washington City, and at the age of sixteen years he went to Sedalia with his uncle, John L. Sanford. He remained away from home six years. After he returned home he came West, and was for some time engaged in steamboating on the Mississippi River. In 1848 he came to Pike County, Ill., and engaged in grain speculation until 1873, at which time he removed to Havana, Ill., and was proprietor of a hotel for some time. In 1879 he came to Sedalia and bought the Jay Gould House, which he occupied until 1880, when he sold out the hotel and engaged in the grain business with the Hon. John T. Heard, of Sedalia. In the year 1881 Mr. Sanford bought an interest in the lumber yard owned by Col. R. Ritter, and in this business he is still engaged. He is a member of the Commandery, K.T. He was married in 1846 to Catherine A. Stallings, who died in 1863. By his first wife he has five children living, Mary E., Elizabeth V., William H., Maggie V., and Ida; two deceased. He was again married in 1864 to Susan M. Hayes, of Pike County, Ill., a native of Massachusetts, and they have three children, Eddie, now with Bullen, Carpenter & Co., Carrie and Herbert. Mr. and Mrs. Sanford are prominent and highly respected members of the Congregational Church.
The subject of our sketch was born in Prussia, September 5, 1841. He is the son of Mathias J. and Agnes Schmitt, who, with their family, Fredrick, August and Herman, came over from Prussia in 1853, and settled in St. Louis, Mo. His father died in about one year after he arrived at St. Louis; his mother died in 1862. His sister married Rudolph Lungstras in St. Louis, where they now reside. His brother, August, lives at Cat Spring, Texas. Mr. Schmitt learned the saddlery trade in St. Louis, and worked at it until 1869; he then came to Sedalia and opened the Wine Hall on Main and Osage streets, where he remained until 1879, then sold his business and stock. In 1880 he opened his fine and commodious saloon, No. 104 Main street, near Ohio, where he keeps a good and orderly house, and has a lucrative business. He married Miss Lizzie Stickler, of St. Louis, Mo., by whom he has four children living, viz.: Ernest, born August 9, 1865; Selma, born September 3, 1870; Alexander, born March 29, 1873; Minnie, born November 14, 1875.
ANDREW J. SCOW
Is the son of Peter Scow, a native of Denmark. The subject of this sketch was born in Denmark, March 2, 1852, and is the third child in a family of seven children. He was educated in the schools of his native country. In the spring of 1872 Mr. Scow emigrated to America, settling at Jefferson City, Mo., where he engaged in railroading, first working with the work train; afterwards was given a position as brakeman on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. In this capacity he served the company for about four and a half years, when he was again promoted, this time to the position of conductor, which position he has faithfully filled for three and a half years, and still holds. He was married September 28, 1878, to Miss Bertha Fitschen, a native of Ohio. From this union there were two children, only one of whom is now living, viz.: Adolph C. Mr. Scow is but a young man, but his faithfulness to his duties has made him popular with the high officers of the road.
BENJAMIN F. SETTLES
Mr. Settles was born in Bourbon County, Ky., in 1831. His father, John T., was a native of Kentucky also. His mother, Mary, nee Shrader, was a native of Kentucky also - a niece of Daniel Boone. B.F., the subject of this sketch, came to Pettis County in 1865, and engaged in farming until 1882, when he bought an interest in the store of Clopton Bros., where he is now in business. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church. He was married in 1865 to Fannie L. Clopton, a native of Missouri, a daughter of Abner Clopton, one of the early settlers of this county.
VICTOR E. SHAW
Attorney at law. Mr. Shaw is a native of Pettis County, Mo., and a son of B.J. Shaw, who settled in Pettis County in 1852. Victor was educated at Willamette University, Salem, Oregon, graduating in 1878, after which he entered law school at Ann Arbor, Mich., graduating in 1880. He immediately came to Sedalia and engaged in the practice of law. In May, 1880, he was appointed Notary Public. He is a young man of great promise and we predict for him a bright future.
DR. GEORGE L. SHEPARD
Was born in July, 1842, in Westfield, Mass. His father, Lyman Shepard, was also born in the same town, where he now resides. His mother, Emily Shepard, nee Hubbard, was born in Weathersfield, Conn. Dr. Shepard is a great grandson of Gen. Shepard, of the Revolutionary War. He was reared and educated at Westfield, Mass., where he spent his boyhood days. He was among the "boys in blue" during the long and bloody war, and was a participant in many of its battles and skirmishes, incidental to the four years of strife which followed the year 1861. After the war he attended the Ohio Dental College, where he graduated in the spring of 1866. For some time he practiced his profession in Indiana, afterward coming to Tipton, Mo., where for nine years he was engaged in the dental business, dividing his practice between Tipton and California, Mo. In 1876, Dr. Shepard came to Sedalia, where he has a large and increasing practice, and is esteemed very highly, both as a gentleman and a practitioner. He was married March 6, 1868, to Miss Louisa Livings, of Indiana, and daughter of Everson Livings. They are consistent members of the Congregational Church, the doctor being a deacon. They have five children living.
JUDGE WILLIAM S. SHIRK
Attorney at law. Mr. Shirk was born in 1843, in Franklin County, Pa. His father, Jacob Shirk, and his mother were natives of Pennsylvania. William S. Shirk, the subject of this sketch, was educated in Illinois. In 1863 he began the study of law, attending law school at Albany, New York, graduating in 1865, after which he came to Warsaw, Mo., and began the practice of law. In 1878 he came to Sedalia, where he has ever since resided. From 1874 until 1877 Mr. Shirk was Judge of the Circuit Court of the Seventh Judicial District. He was also Prosecuting Attorney of that circuit for several years. Judge Shirk held various other positions of trust, while a resident of Warsaw. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., also a Mason. He was married in St. Louis in 1868, to Miss Frances Hastain, of Henry County, Mo. They have three children, Bessie S., Maudie F. and William S.
Grocer and provisions. Mr. Shobe was born in 1846, in Barren County, Ky. His father, Abel Shobe, came with the family to Pettis County, in 1848; died here in 1860. His mother, Martha, nee Anderson, is still living in this county. Here Bedford Shobe was reared on a farm. In 1876, he came to Sedalia and opened a grocery store, in which he has ever since been engaged. Mr. Shobe is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He was married in 1868 to Susan Warren, a daughter of James Warren, one of the early settlers of this county. They have one child living, James M., born Feb. 12, 1870; one deceased, Ida, died in March, 1877, aged four years.
ULYSSES F. SHORT
Attorney at law. Mr. Short was born in Tennessee, in 1847. His father, Monroe Short, was a native of Ireland. His mother, Lucinda, nee Harrison, was a native of Tennessee. U.F. was educated at Oxford, Miss., and attended law school at Lebanon, Tenn., graduating in 1869. Previous to this he had served throughout the late war, under General Forrest, of the Confederate army. In 1869 he came to Sedalia, where he engaged in the practice of law. In 1876 he formed a partnership with Col. Snoddy. Mr. Short owns one of the finest and best improved farms in the county; having a residence which costs over $15,000. Mr. Short was married in 1871, to Miss Emma Major, of Pettis County, daughter of B.R. Major, one of the early settlers of this county. They have one child living, Franklin; one deceased. Mr. Short is a member of the A.O.U.W.
ROBERT J. SHY
City Marshal of Sedalia. Was born in Marion County, Mo., in 1841. D.J. Shy, his father, was a native of Kentucky, and is now living in Pettis County. His mother, Mary Ann, nee Overstreet, was also a native of that State. Robert J., the subject of this sketch, was principally reared in Pettis County. He attended school when the ground was the floor, and split logs were used for seats. His early life was spent on a farm, but in 1876 he sold his farm and came to Sedalia, and served as Deputy Sheriff under Lemuel Murray for four years and nine months, at the expiration of which time he was elected City Marshal of Sedalia, and is still acting in that capacity, and is pronounced by all an efficient officer and conscientious gentleman. Mr. Shy was married June 2, 1864, to Theresa Reed, of Pettis County, daughter of William Reed, now of Cooper County, Mo. They have four children, all girls, named respectively: Cora Lee, Eva Augusta, Lenora M., Daisy and one deceased, a son five months old.
JOSEPH D. SICHER
One of Sedalia's most prosperous business men is the subject of this sketch, Joseph D. Sicher, of Austria. Joseph D. was born in Austria, March 21, 1842. When he was about ten years of age his father emigrated to America, landing at St. Louis; here the father located, and resided until his death. In the fall of 1862, the son, Joseph D., moved to Alton, Ill., where he remained for about ten years. Then in the spring of 1872 he moved to Sedalia, where he has since resided. Mr. Sicher first embarked in the hotel and confectionery business, in which business he is still engaged. His hotel building is situated on the corner of Ohio and Third streets, and is a large three-story building. No house in Central Missouri has a better reputation with the traveling public than the Sicher Hotel. Mr. Sicher has been prominently connected with many of the public enterprises that have made Sedalia what she is to-day. He was the originator and one of the first men to take hold of the project of building a street railroad, said road extending the whole length of Third street from the Missouri Pacific offices and shops in the east, to the park on the west. The line is in daily operation with a number of finely furnished cars. The Sicher Brothers owns about two-thirds of the stock of said road. Another public enterprise with Mr. Sicher the prime-mover, was the establishment of the beautiful park in the western part of the city. The Brothers first bought fifty acres of land owned by Newkirk and Jaynes; this pasture (for that is about what is was) has been converted into one of the most beautiful resorts in the State. These ample grounds have been laid off in walks and drives; the whole grounds have been beautifully ornamented with maple and other forest trees. Mr. Sicher has built a fine large Park Hotel, which building he has furnished elegantly, and is used for parties, dancing, etc. Mr. Sicher has leased to the Fair Association these grounds, for a number of years, to be used by the Association a certain number of days in each year. The reader will find a complete description of these beautiful grounds in the city history, page 508. Mr. Sicher was married, May 11, 1875, to Miss Leyser, of Alton, Ill.; from this union there are two children, viz.: Harry D. and Camille. In business affairs Mr. Sicher, though a young man, is looked upon as having no superior in the city. He is generous, and is highly esteemed by his many friends.
COMMODORE G.B. SIMONDS
Mr. Simonds was born at Bristol, New Hampshire, August 12, 1819. His father, John T. Simonds, was also a native of New Hampshire, and resided in Bristol up to the time of his death, which occurred about the year 1848. Young G.B. Simonds received his education from the schools of his native State, and at the age of thirteen commenced to learn the machinist and engineer trade in the Lowell machine shops. He was made foreman at the age of eighteen, and on leaving this position he accepted that of engineer on the Columbia and Philadelphia Railroad. After leaving this road he accepted a position as master mechanic on the Hudson and Berkshire Railroad, then became superintendent of motive power machinery on the New York and New Haven Railroad, with residence at New Haven. In the summer of 1858, Mr. Simonds removed to Springfield, Ill., and became superintendent of motive machinery of the Great Western Railroad of Illinois. Mr. Simonds entered the United States military service under Gen. Fremont in the summer of 1861, as Assistant Supervisor of Railways of the Western Department. In February, 1862, he was transferred to the Mississippi flotilla and accepted a position in the command of a squadron of mortar boats under Commodore Foote. He was engaged in the siege of Island No. 10, Fort Pillow and the capture of Memphis, but after his fleet was moved to Vicksburg, he was ordered back and was assigned the command of the Navy Yard, Memphis, Tenn., having command of the fort when no ranking officer's vessel was in port. In 1864 he resigned his command and returned to his family in New York. Coming west he established an Iron Rolling Mill, at Indianapolis, Ind. In Feb., 1871, he accepted a position as master mechanic on the Missouri Pacific Railway, and in April, 1873, removed his family to Sedalia, and built a fine residence on the southeast corner of Sixth street, and Washington avenue, now owned by Mr. Adam Ittel. He accepted and served as superintendent of motive machinery on the following roads: Hannibal and St. Joe, Cairo and St. Louis, Atlantic and Pacific. In the fall of 1881 he returned to his family in Sedalia, where he has since resided. October 15, 1845, he was married to Miss Rachel V.C. Clark, a native of Albany, N.Y. Their family consists of Sarah A., the eldest, and Mary E., now wife of A.H. Taylor, of Pike County, Ind. Mr. Simonds now resides on the corner of Osage street and Broadway. He is a man of superior native ability and force of character, and obstacles that would have crushed others only served to strengthen his purpose, and lead him to success. His principle of sterling integrity is well known, and he is highly respected by all.
CHAS. W. SIMONS
Dealer in furniture, and undertaker. Is a native of Clermont County, Ohio, where he was born in 1852. James Simons, his father, was also born in Ohio, and came with his family to Sedalia in 1871 and is still a resident of this place. Chas. W. began the furniture business in Sedalia, but afterward went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and served an apprenticeship in that business. After he had served his term as apprentice he came again to Sedalia and in 1878 he opened a shop here. His store is situated on Ohio, between Fifth and Sixth streets, where he keeps a very select stock of furniture, coffins, etc. He makes undertaking a specialty. He was married in June, 1881, to Katie Breden, of Sedalia, daughter of Thomas Breden, of Pettis County. Mr. Simons is a member of the Knights of Pythias.
ELISHA W. SINCLAIR
Alderman of the Fourth Ward. Was born in Chautauqua County, N.Y., in 1833. His father, Samuel Sinclair, was also a native of New York. His mother, Martha, nee Bucklen, was a native of Vermont. E.W., the subject of this sketch, left his home at the age of sixteen and went to New York City, where he worked on the New York Tribune constantly for twenty-three years. During the war he spent two years in the South as agent for the Tribune. In the fall of 1873 he came to Pettis County and bought a large farm and spent six years in farming. In 1879 he came to Sedalia, where he has invested largely in real estate. In April, 1881, he was elected Alderman of the Fourth Ward. He was married in 1872 to Martha Gairy, of New Jersey. They have one child, Linnie. He and his wife are members of the Congregational Church, of which he is also an officer.
HENRY C. SINNETT
Attorney at law, Sedalia. Was born in Granville, Licking County, Ohio. His father, Allen Sinnett, settled in that State in 1805 and died in 1851. Mr. Sinnett's ancestors on both sides were French Huguenots driven from France and seeking liberty and life in a free land. Allen's father, James Sinnett, first settled in Ireland, and then emigrated to America, settling in Massachusetts. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and also in the War of 1812. The mother of the subject of our sketch was a native of Massachusetts, whose maiden name was Nancy Blanchard. Her father and mother were also driven from France by persecution for their religious proclivities. Her father's name was Joseph Blanchard, who also was a Revolutionary soldier. In the War of 1812 he was largely interested in shipping and had six ships at sea, which were destroyed by the British. During this war his wife and family, who were living on an island off the coast of Maine, were compelled to flee from their home by the approach of the British, and escaped in an open boat to Belfast, nearly 500 miles distant by the route they were forced to take. Of the number thus escaping Nancy Blanchard was one. Henry C. was reared and educated in his native county, attending Granville Academy in his native town and also Denison University in Licking County, graduating from the former. He read law with Judge Buckingham and also Henry Stanburg, after which he attended Cincinnati Law School, graduating from it with the class of 1861. He was admitted to practice the same year and located in Newark, Ohio, where he remained until 1865, in which year he came to Sedalia. Mr. Sinnett has met fine success as a practitioner. He has been practicing longer in Pettis County than any attorney in it with the exception of two, George Heard and O.A. Crandall. Mr. Sinnett was married in 1869 to Julia Leak, of Sedalia, but a native of Ohio. They have one child living, Harry B., aged eight years.
JUDE JOHN GRAND-GIRARD SLOANE
Was born on the 10th day of April, 1849, in the village of Mowrystown in Highland County, Ohio. Moved with his parents when but a year old to Winnebago County, Ill., where he spent the next fifteen years of his life on a farm. Although but fourteen years of age when the war began, too young to enter the service as a regular soldier, he accompanied his father, who was a captain in the Seventy-Fourth Illinois Volunteers, and bravely endured all the hardships and dangers of the march, camp and battle-field. Was in the Perryville and Stone River battles, and other engagements and campaigns. On his return from the war, he removed to Blackhawk County, Iowa, where he was engaged with his father in farming, until the autumn of 1867, when he came to Missouri, and soon after began the study of law. In the year 1869, he returned to Rockford, Ill., where he completed his studies and was admitted to the bar by the Supreme Court of that State in June, 1870. He immediately returned to Missouri and opened an office at Windsor, Henry County, and was married in the autumn of the same year, to Miss Arthusa Whitney, daughter of Dr. Whitney, who resided near Windsor. Their children are Minnie, and an infant. In the spring of 1872, he removed to Sedalia and opened an office for the practice of his profession. In the autumn of the same year he was nominated by the Republican party as City Justice and elected when only twenty-two years of age. He occupied the position until the spring of 1876, when he was elected County Judge, which office he held until the expiration of his term. Judge Sloane gave the highest satisfaction as a judicial officer in both positions. After his term as County Judge had expired, he formed a co-partnership with Capt. L.L. Bridges, in the practice of law, which he continued until July, 1881, when in connection with his brother, W.A. Sloane, he bought out the Sedalia Times, which afterwards consolidated with the Sedalia Eagle, under the name of Eagle-Times, and of which paper he is now the editor and business manager. Judge Sloane obtained his education in the common district schools of the country, and the high schools of Rockford, Ill., and Cedar Falls, Iowa. He is what is known as a self-made man, and for one of his years has been signally honored by the community in which, he lives. He is a staunch Republican. As an editor he is considered a thorough success, a faithful worker and judicious in all his writings, which show literary ability and a thorough insight of human nature and public affairs.
ANDREW V. SMALL, M.D.
Is a native of Lorraine, France, and in that place was reared and educated. He commenced the study of medicine in the University of Paris, where he graduated in 1839. He afterward entered the French army as surgeon, serving seven years, a portion of the time in the African war. Upon leaving the French army in 1848, he emigrated to America, locating in New Orleans. Here he remained until 1853, when he came to Jefferson City, Mo. At Jefferson City Dr. Small was recognized as a surgeon and physician of no small merit, and remained in that place with a large and growing practice until 1858, at which time he went to Springfield, Mo. At the beginning of the rebellion in 1861, he entered the Confederate army as Chief Surgeon of Gen. McBride's division. He served in this capacity until 1863, when he was appointed Medical Inspector of Gen. Bragg's command at Corinth, Miss., and was assigned President of the Examining Board of the District of Texas, with headquarters at San Antonio, where he remained until the close of the war. After the rebellion, Dr. Small left Texas and came to Lexington, Mo., and engaged in the practice of his profession until 1878, when he came to Sedalia. Although many other physicians and surgeons had established reputations of long standing, Dr. Small's skill soon won for him a large practice, which has never deserted him, but has assumed much magnitude that it requires all his energy and will power to keep pace with his calls. It needs but a glance at the facts to see that Dr. Small has had opportunities to skill himself in his profession not often afforded American physicians, and it is not strange that he stands at the head of his profession. He has twice been married, having married in Europe and lost his wife in New Orleans. In 1855 he married Miss M. Parberry, of Jefferson City, Mo. By this union they have three children: Earnest J., now a stock raiser of New Mexico, Eddie N., graduate of Bellevue Medical College, N.Y., now practicing with his father, and Mary S.
DAVID H. SMITH
Wholesale hardware, corner Main and Ohio streets. A business house was opened in 1866, by D.H. Smith and his brother, H.C. Smith. In 1869 H.C. Smith withdrew, and since that time Mr. D.H. Smith has continued his business alone. In 1877 he built the three-story brick on the corner of Main and Ohio streets, which he has occupied since its completion. This house commands a large wholesale trade, keeping two men on the road constantly, having the largest trade of any hardware house in the city. David H. Smith was born in October, 1835, in Clark County, O. His father, D.J. Smith, was born in Scotland, and died in Ohio in 1879, at the age of eighty-four years. His mother, Sarah, nee Cory, was a native of Ohio, but of English descent, and is still living on the old homestead, in the seventy-fourth year of her age. Mr. Smith was reared on a farm, but in 1858 he engaged in the fruit tree business. In 1862 he entered the Federal army, in the Commissary Department, where he remained for three years. In 1866 he came to Sedalia, and engaged in the hardware business, which he has followed ever since. David H. Smith began life without a dollar, and by honesty and industry he has won for himself the laurels which only such men deserve. Not only has he accumulated a fortune, but has taken his place among the foremost of Missouri's business men. He is now doing a business of $150,000 per annum. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Smith was married to Miss Laura Potter, of Greenville, O., in 1862, and by her has four children: Gertrude, who is at present attending school in Boston, Mass.; Jessie, Harry B. and George G. February 16, 1880, Mr. Smith was bereft of his wife. She was a devout member of the Presbyterian Church.
EZRA J. SMITH
Attorney at law. Was born in Butler County, Pa., on the 21st day of March, 1842. His father, Robert L. Smith, was also a native of that State, as was his mother. Ezra J. Smith was educated at the schools of De Witt, Iowa, and at Cornell College, Mount Vernon, Iowa. He began the study of law at De Witt, which he continued until the beginning of the rebellion of 1861, when he entered the Federal army in Company B, First Iowa Cavalry. He served in this regiment for about three years and six months, and during his service in that regiment was wounded in the right shoulder at the battle of Bayou Metoe, near Little Rock, Ark. This occurred on the 27th day of August, 1863. During Mr. Smith's career as a soldier, he served the greater part of his time in Arkansas and Missouri. In February, 1865, he received a commission, appointing him First Lieutenant, and remained until November of the same year, doing garrison duty at Nelson, Ky. After the war he came to Osceola, Mo., and again took up the study of law under S.S. Burdette. He was admitted to the bar in October, 1866, and began the practice of his profession with S.S. Burdette, at Osceola. Here he remained, making rapid progress as a lawyer, until 1874, when he came to Sedalia, and was at once recognized as a cultured gentleman, and a young lawyer of great promise. He continued his practice successfully. Mr. Smith is a member of the M.E. Church. He was married December 19, 1869, to Mary J. Landes, of Osceola, Mo., a native of Mifflin County, Pa., and by this union have four children, named respectively: George R., Naomi C., Nelson C., and Edwin J.
ROBERT C. SNEED
Attorney at law. Was born February 26, 1853, in Boyle County, Ky. His father, John M. Sneed, was also a native of Kentucky, and came to Pettis County in 1852, and is now a resident of this county. Robert was reared in Pettis County, educated at Westminster College, graduating with the class of 1872. He immediately took up the study of law on his return from college, reading in the office of Philips & Vest. In June, 1873, he was admitted to the bar, and has since been practicing in Sedalia. Mr. Sneed, although quite a young man, has a very lucrative practice. In connection with his law practice, Mr. Sneed has a complete set of abstract books in his office, and deals extensively in real estate. He was married October 19, 1881, to Miss Maggie Montgomery, daughter of Dr. T.J. Montgomery, now deceased, for many years a resident of this county.
JOHN B. SNEED
Grain dealer. Was born in Pettis County, Mo. His father, John M. Sneed, being one of the early settlers of Pettis, having located here in 1852, is still living about three miles from Sedalia. His mother, Mary J., nee Stewart, was a native of Kentucky, and is still living. John B. was reared and educated here, and at the age of seventeen years he entered the First National Bank, of this city, where he remained five years. He afterward engaged in the grain trade at Clinton, Henry County, and other points on the M., K. & T.R.R. He continued in this business until September, 1881, when he opened an office and feed store in Sedalia, where he has since been engaged. Mr. Sneed has been a successful business man, and although still a young man is rapidly taking his place among the leading business men of the county.
COL. WILLIAM WALLACE S. SNODDY
Every life has a history of its own; and although in appearance it may seem to possess little to distinguish it from others, yet there are marks and characteristics which give distinct individuality. An earnest activity has marked the life of Col. W.W.S. Snoddy, and the fact that he has gained for himself a wide and honorable reputation in the legal profession, is evidence of his character and worth. He is of Scotch-Irish descent, his maternal grandfather being a Scotchman, and his paternal grandparents natives of the county of Antrim, Ireland. On account of family opposition, his paternal grandfather eloped with his wife, and on the day of their marriage sailed for America, arriving at Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, in 1783, where they purchased a small piece of ground and lived to be very aged people, each being over one hundred years old at their death. The subject of this sketch was born in Lycoming County, Penn., Jan. 25, 1838. When a boy he had a great desire to get an education, and availed himself of every opportunity afforded him to acquire knowledge. So earnest was he in his efforts in this direction that he labored on a farm during the day and studied at night. Inspired by the examples of many illustrious men, he struggled on with the thought ever in his mind that he would accomplish what they had. He early evinced a decided taste for the legal profession. But his friends and advisers opposed him, and urged him to remain upon the farm, yet he was not to be turned from his course, and was fully determined to battle with opposition and surmount every obstacle that barred the way. At the age of seventeen he commenced teaching and was successful both in public and private schools. At the same time he devoted his spare time to his studies, and advanced as rapidly as most college students. In this way he completed the mathematical course, the higher English branches, the elements of Latin, and began the study of law, using the books of T.T. Abrams, a leading lawyer of Lock Haven, Pennsylvania. When ready to be admitted to the bar the war broke out and he responded to the first call of the Governor for troops. He volunteered and enlisted in the 137th Pennsylvania Volunteers, served in the ranks eight months, and then, for meritorious conduct, he was commissioned Second Lieutenant. He received the most flattering testimonials from Generals Kidder, Cox and other general officers under whom he served. In June, 1863, at the expiration of his term of enlistment, he returned to Lock Haven, Penn., and was appointed, by Governor Curtin, Superintendent of the schools in Clinton County. He gave entire satisfaction in this office, the duties of which were onerous. He had under his supervision two hundred and ten schools which he had to visit as well as pass judgment on the teachers. The pressure of events and his military reputation and experience forced him into the army again, and at Harrisburg, in 1864, he was elected Lieutenant Colonel of the 207th Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was with his regiment in some of the noted engagements, and amid the last throes of the "Lost Cause." On his return home with his regiment he was received at the Capital of the State with an ovation fit for a patriot and hero. He was married on the 11th of June, 1864, to Miss Mary M. Long, a lady of culture and good family, residing at Selin's Grove, Penn. This union was blessed with seven children: Blanche E., Claude L., Cora L., Erskine, Cook, Edna May and Raymond. Blanche E., Cora L. and Raymond are dead. In December, 1865, he was admitted to the bar. During that winter, with $300 in his pocket, he started to Missouri with his wife and baby. He paused on his way to visit the Island of Blennerhasset, made illustrious by the eloquence of William Wirt, and linked to immortality with the ill-starred Aaron Burr, and there his heart was saddened by the death of his only child. The remains of the little one were brought to St. Louis and laid in the Calvary Cemetery. He arrived in Sedalia on the 8th of April, 1866, with only $60 left from the expenses of his journey. Without money, without books, without friends, and without experience as a lawyer, he resolved to cast in his fortunes with the young "Queen of the Prairies." He rented an office and entered upon the practice of law. It was a month before he had his first case, but he gained it, and since that time he has had a good and increasing practice. A few months after he formed a partnership with R.G. Durham, a well-read lawyer of twenty years' experience. In 1868 his partner was appointed Judge of Common Pleas Court. Then for eight years he was one of the popular and well established firm of Snoddy & Bridges. The Colonel is a prominent and influential member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, Amity Lodge No. 69, also is a member of the Grand Lodge, and at present is District Deputy Grand Master Workman of the 38th District of Missouri, composed of the counties of Pettis, Cooper and Moniteau. Col. Snoddy is six feet two inches in height, large in person, with a powerful physique and regular features. All of his qualities are strong and decided, none negative. Time, nor political rivalries can estrange him from his friends. Nor can the lapse of a generation remove prejudices which he once entertains against men. He devotes all of his time to his profession.
JOHN G. SPRAGUE
Of Sprague & Clark, Sedalia. Was born in 1817, in Washington Co., Ohio. His father Joshua, who died in 1831, was also a native of Ohio, being born in the same county. His mother, Phoebe G., nee Brown, was a native of Massachusetts. She died in Illinois in 1873. John G. was reared and educated in the county and State of his birth and when old enough was taught to work on the farm where he remained until 1846, when he went to Iowa. John G. Sprague, after remaining in Iowa until 1852, concluded to go to California, whither he went in the same year. Here he remained mining for four years after which he returned to Ohio and engaged in farming. He again moved to Bond County, Ill., in 1858, remaining until 1868, when he again sought wider fields. He removed to Washington County, Ill., where he engaged in the grain business, and in the fall of 1875 he came to Sedalia where he resumed his business as grain dealer, also dealing in wood, coal, etc. Mr. Sprague is a member of the M.E. Church, to which denomination his wife also belongs, he being a steward of the same. He was married in 1838 to Miss Eliza Beach, of Ohio. They have seven children living, Dudly D., of California, Mo., Charles D., of Sedalia, Mo., Pearly J., Agent at Higbee, Mo., for the railroad, Ezra B., of Sedalia, Cynthia M., wife of E.M. Clark of Sedalia, Frank M. and John W.
Chief operator of the Missouri Pacific General Office in Sedalia. The subject of this sketch was born in Collins, Ohio, July 26, 1849. He received his education from the schools of his native State. After finishing his education, Mr. Stanton learned telegraphing at Chillicothe in 1865. He first took an instrument at Athens, Ohio, remaining in the office one year, when he returned to Chillicothe. He then accepted a position in the office at Hillsborough, then was promoted to a position at Cincinnati, and afterwards accepted a similar position in the offices at Chicago. He was in the offices of the latter city, when the great strike occurred in which about 5,000 operatives were engaged. After the strike he accepted a position in the offices of the C., B. & Q.R.R. Co. After being in the employment of said company for quite a while he resigned his position and took a trip south, visiting Columbus, Miss., Huntsville, Ala., New Orleans, Selma, and other points. At Selma, Mr. Stanton was engaged in taking press reports for about two years. He afterwards visited the principal cities of California and Nevada, and then returned to Cincinnati, where he remained about two years, at which time he was appointed superintendent of telegraph of the Springfield & Southeastern, now a part of the Ohio & Mississippi. After that he accepted a similar position with the Wabash Road, the offices being located at Decatur. He was also assistant superintendent in the offices at Toledo. Then in October, 1880, he went to St. Louis and accepted a position with the American Union, which position he held until the consolidation with the Western Union, when he received the position of chief operator in the office of Missouri Pacific at Sedalia, which position he still holds. Mr. Stanton is courteous, generous and a popular young man.
Dealer in organs, pianos, etc. Mr. Stark was born in Spencer County, Ky., in 1841. His father, Adam Stark, was a native of Kentucky, as was his mother, Elener, nee Stillwell. John, the subject of this sketch, was raised on a farm in Kentucky, and engaged in farming for many years. In 1861, he enlisted Co. B, Twenty-first Regiment Indiana Infantry, and served one year in the ranks, taking part in many prominent battles. After the first year he was made a musician and served in that capacity until the close of the war. In 1872, he came to Missouri, and engaged in farming until 1874, when he went into the music business at Cameron, Mo., for the Mason and Hamlin Organ Company, and has ever since been with this well known company. From 1880 until 1882, he was located at Chillicothe, Mo. In the spring of 1882, he came to Sedalia, where he is doing an extensive business at No. 219 Ohio street. Mr. Stark was married in 1864 to Miss Sarah Casey. They have three children living.
Is the son of Thomas Story, a native of Scotland, but who emigrated to Canada in the year 1820, where he lived until his death, which occurred April 15, 1866. The subject of this sketch, James Story, was born at Smith's Falls, in the Dominion of Canada, April 21, 1846, and is the youngest child in a family of four children. He received his primary education in the schools of his native country, completing the same at Belleville, N.Y. After he had completed his education he returned to his home in Canada, where he remained until the fall of 1871, when he emigrated to Missouri, settling at Green Ridge, in the southern part of Pettis County. During his residence here he was engaged in the general mercantile business, where he remained until the spring of 1875, when he moved to Sedalia, where he has since resided, engaged in the grocery business. Mr. Story was married Feb. 11, 1873, to Miss Carrie Walker, a native of Indiana, and a most estimable and refined lady. From this union there was one child, viz.: Clara Mabel, who died while an infant. Mr. Story owns the fine three-story block opposite the public square on Ohio street, known as Story's Central, a view of which appears elsewhere. Mr. Story is one of the popular business men of this city, courteous in manners, generous in disposition, and a favorite among his friends. He is at present traveling salesman for Jarratt, Gilliland & Roberts, importers and jobbers of coffee and wholesale groceries, Nos. 401 and 403 North Second street, corner Locust, St. Louis, Mo.
HENRY D. STRINGER
Real estate. Mr. Stringer was born July 10, 1845, in Lincoln County, Kentucky. His father, Thomas M. Stringer, was also a native of Kentucky, now living in Carthage, Mo. His mother, Nancy, nee Watkins, was a native of North Carolina. Henry D. enlisted in Company B, Fifty-fourth Indiana Regiment, Volunteers, in 1862, under Col. Mansfield, and served until the close of the war. He was twice wounded. Once in the right arm, and once in the head, the ball running down into his shoulder, where it still remains. He took part in all the battles of the Mississippi, from Island No. Ten down, and in the Red River expedition. In 1865, after his return, he married Miss Louisa Cunningham, near Louisville, Ky. In 1868 he went to Putnam County, Ind., and was engaged in livery business until 1874, when he removed to Jasper County, Mo., and sold dry goods until 1879, when he came to Sedalia, and has since been engaged in the real estate business.
BACK -- HOME