Sandals, James M.
J. M. SANDALS. Our subject is happy in the selection of a home in the midst of a fertile tract that yields
freely every season for the supplying of creature comforts. His farm is located on section 30, township 54, range
28, at Sandals post-office, Ray County Mo., and has good improvements and is well cultivated. He was born in Stark
County, Ohio, December 3, 1847, the son of George Sandals, a farmer and stock-grower of Stark County, who continues
to reside there. The father married Miss Catharine Williams, who bore him eight children, seven of whom are living.
Our subject was educated in the public schools of the county named, and subsequently took a course in the High
School. After leaving school, he worked for the railroad for about thirteen months, then learned the trade of a
carpenter, at which he worked a year and a-half, when he returned to the railroad work; after thirteen months he
went to Canton, Ohio, and worked at his trade until the following spring, 1870, when he came to Caldwell County,
Mo., and remained a few months and then settled in Ray County. At this place he worked at his trade a short time,
and then started a sawmill, which he ran for seven years, when he sold out and settled at his present place, where
he started the sawmill which he now conducts.
In 1882, he started the mercantile business he has since managed. Beginning in June, he built a new store and in
1888 rebuilt, and that large structure now stands. He owns thirty-eight acres of land, upon which he conducts a
stock farm where he has some very superior animals, of which he may well be proud. Mr. Sandals was married, in
1873, to Miss Samantha Ellen, daughter of Edward Teagarden, an early settler whose sketch may be found in another
part of this book. She has borne him six children, namely: Florence, wife of Thomas Linville, a farmer living three
miles south of Polo; Edward, Effie and James M., living at home; and Leona and Lenora (twins) at home.
Our subject is a member of the Christian Church. Politically, he is a Republican and a man of considerable influence
in that party, and one whose exertions are never without effect. In 1888, he was appointed Postmaster at Sandals,
a position he still holds, filling it to the general satisfaction. The large and handsome residence he occupies
was built by him in 1880, and is a very handsome, as well as comfortable, building. Mr. Sandals is widely known
for his enterprise and excellent character, and the business he conducts is a large one, as a result of the general
satisfaction with him and his methods.
Page 312 - Ray County - PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and
Linn Counties, Missouri
Our subject, after spending a half-century upon the farm, chose the village of Lawson, Mo., for his place of residence,
and there lives a quiet life, discharging the duties of his station with earnest purpose, honestly seeking to do
what is right. His gentlemanly deportment and sociable manners have won him many friends. In the dispensing of
justice he has proved himself a man of equity, with apt understanding of law and of common sense. Mr. Sanderson
was born in Sumner County Tenn., February 26, 1829, and was the son of Edward Sanderson, who was born and reared
in Virginia, and went thence to Tennessee, where he married Miss Betsy Ann Holman. The father was a farmer, and
when he came to Ray County, Mo., in 1831, he resumed that occupation. One year later he bought land and settled
upon it, and finally died there in 1877. He was the father of five children by his first marriage, and the same
number by his second union; four of the former are living and two of the latter. The father was a soldier in the
War of 1812, being with Gen. Jackson at the battle of New Orleans, and he also took part in the Florida War.
The subject came with his father to Ray County, and was brought upon the farm receiving only such instruction as
was then afforded in the country schools. Upon attaining manhood, he became a clerk, but in 1849 went back to the
farm, where he remained until 1882. His first marriage occurred in 1851, to Miss Mary A. McGaugh, daughter of Dr.
John B. McGaugh, an early settler of Ray County. She died in 1861, and three years later he married Miss Margaret
Parrot, daughter of George Parrot, a farmer of Ray County, who had come hither at an early day from Tennessee.
Five children were born of the first marriage of our subject, and two of the latter; the former were as follows:
Fannie, wife of Josephus McAdams, who died in 1867; Rev. Alexander R., a preacher of the Christian Union Church,
of Colorado; Phelix W., Hardy E. and George O., all farmers of Ray County. The children of the second marriage
were: Ella May, wife of Oscar Moss; and Dora, wife of George T. Walker, of Oklahoma, who carried on farming at
In 1881 our subject gave up farm work and came into Lawson, where he engaged in the grocery business until 1884,
since which time he has devoted his entire attention to the duties of his office as a Notary Public and Justice
of the Peace. He is a Democrat, and has lately been elected to the office of Assessor. The Masonic order has strong
attraction for him, and he was Master of Harmony Lodge at Vibbard for two years, and now holds connection with
the lodge at Lawson. Mr. Sanderson is one of the oldest settlers of Lawson now residing in the village, and is
universally esteemed as a just and upright man.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri, Page 368
JOHN J. SEARCY
John J. Searcy resided here three forths of a century. He is a native of Tenn., born in Bedford Co. July 30,
1827. His parents Orvil and Mary Searcy were among the first settlers in Ray Co. immigrated here in 1829 when our
subject was a small child. They made the trip overland, crossing the Missouri River at Lexington, November 8, 1829
and located on a farm northeast of Richmond. He has made his home there since 1829. He was married on September
1854 to Miss Lizzie Ford, in Clay Co., Mo. To them 4 children have been born two of them O.A. and Miss Lizzie Searcy,
both of this city are living.
Richmond Conservator, June 19, 1902, (photo of John J. Searcy was included with the article.) Contributed by
a Friend of Ray County.
Robert Sevier, eldest son of Valentine Sevier, Esq., was born October 13, 1807, in Greenville, Tennessee. His
grandfather, Robert Sevier, with several brothers, left his home in Tennessee to join the American army of the
Revolution, and served with distinction in North Carolina against Cornwallis. The elder Robert Sevier held
a commission as colonel of volunteers, and held this command at the battle of King's Mountain, where he received
wounds of which he soon afterwards died. These brothers were also held in high estimation in civil life; one of
them, John Sevier, was governor of Tennessee, after the war. Robert Sevier, the subject of our sketch, was entered
a cadet at West Point, in 1824, and was graduated in 1828, brevet second lieutenant, and July 1, 1828, second lieutenant
sixth infantry, joining his regiment at Jefferson barracks, Missouri. He served with the expedition on the upper
Arkansas in 1829; Ft. Leavenworth, in 1832 - 34; Jefferson barracks in 1834 - 36; Camp Sabine and Ft. Jessup, Louisiana,
in 1836. Adjutant sixth infantry, from August 1, 1836, to October 31, 1837; in Florida war~ in 1837; resigned,
October 31, 1837.
After his resignation, he remained two years in Tennessee. He spent the winter of 1839 - 40 in Liberty, Clay county,
Missouri, seeking a location for business. In 1840 he entered into the mercantile business in Richmond, Missouri,
where his remaining years were passed. In 1845, he was elected clerk of the circuit court and ex-officio
recorder of deeds of Ray county, which office he retained for twenty years. In 1865 the constitutional convention
of Missouri removed such officers then in commission as refused to take and subscribe the oath of loyalty. Major
Sevier was removed, and thereafter persistently remained in private life, although often solicited to occupy positions
of trust, living on his farm.
In 1851 he married Miss Ann H. Sibley, who died January 20, 1852. The issue of this marriage is Charles Sevier,
a very worthy gentleman, occupying the paternal home at this time, with an interesting family; and a daughter,
Isabel, who died at the age of nine. His second marriage was with Mrs. Maria Embree, a sister of ex-Governor Austin
A. King, of Missouri. This lady survives him. Inheriting the talents and disposition of such an ancestry, his aspirations,
even in boyhood, could be only of a high character. Having a vigorous mind, and using wisely his fine advantages
in the acquisition of an education, his manhood was matured in the highest meaning of the word. Many graduates
will readily remember their associations with him; his genial disposition; his amusing stories; his soldierly bearing
- and these reminiscences must needs be very pleasant. During his term of military service, the army was small,
and promotion slow; opportunities for gaining distinction were seldom found, and many young officers, who had families,
retired to civil life. Major Sevier was in many respects well suited for military duty; he was remarkably
intelligent, patient, brave, and uncomplaining. He retired from the service amidst the regrets of his army associates,
and was welcomed into civil life by a large circle of friends. The evidences of the value of one's education are
not to be sought for in military history alone. In the peaceful pursuits of private life, the man who acts well
his part, educating his children in the fear and love of God; disciplining them to pass through the trials of life
bravely and honestly; manifesting by every foot-fall in the pathway of life a true and determined integrity and
usefulness, is by no means to be placed in low estimation. Such men build up and strengthen the free institutions
of our country; adding to her wealth and honor, her usefulness to mankind, her reputation for good among the people
of every land.
It is difficult to find a better reputation than established by Major Sevier during his life-time. Every tongue
is ready in his praise. The history of his honest, cheerful manhood, so gracious to his fellow-citizens, seems
well written in every heart; and his disposition to kindness made any business intercourse with him very pleasant.
The business and professional men of Richmond, Missouri, are widely known as gentlemen of the highest standing,
and the great esteem in which they held Major Sevier, speaks loudly in his praise. He was never at loss
for an agreeable subject of conversation; an interview with him never failed to please, as well as to instruct.
He was a most sincere believer in the truth of the revealed religion of our Lord Jesus Christ, and an honest professor
thereof. He was not ashamed to own his allegiance to his God; he was, however, very unostentatious and unobtrusive.
His profession of religion was made in 1851, and steadfastly maintained until death. For many years, he was a ruling
elder in the Presbyterian Church. The internal evidences of the truth of Christianity sank deeply into his mind,
and his faith, strengthened from year to year by careful study and reflection, only added to the strength of his
convictions. "Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return," with him is fully realized. He died May
16, 1879, at Richmond, Missouri, aged seventy-one years.
1881 Ray County, Missouri History
Shaw, Thomas L.
Thomas L. Shaw is a native of Bedford county, Tennessee. He was born September 13, 1820. In May, 1836, he moved
with his parents to Richmond, Ray county, Missouri, where he has ever since resided. Most of his life has been
spent as a farmer. In 1850, he crossed the plains with ox teams, to California, returning in the winter of 1852
and '53. In 1868, he sold his farm and opened the stone quarry known as Carroll county sand stone quarry, with
which he is still connected as part owner. In 1879, he entered into the grain trade in Richmond, and to this business
he has given most of his personal attention since that time. From 1870 to 1879 he was proprietor of the livery
stable known as McCuistion's stable at present. He still owns the barn. Mr. Shaw was married March 9, 1842, to
Jane H. Ewing, a native of Ray county. They had four children, two of whom, Alice B. and Florence M., are living.
Joseph F. and an infant are deceased. His wife died April 7, 1849. He was again married in the winter of 1854,
to Ann Summerville, a Virginian by birth. She died May 22,1856; and he was a third time married October 9,1859,
to Martha W. Bowen, of Bedford county, Tennessee. The offspring of this union are two children, Ida J. and Charles
C. His third wife died September 2, 1875; and December 23, 1878, Mary H. Morrow, of Richmond, became his fourth
wife. Mr. Shaw was one of the pioneers of Ray county, having come to Richmond when there were but five or six
log cabins in the town, and the country was sparsely settled. He is a reliable, upright and honorable citizen,
and takes a lively interest in the growth and prosperity of his town and county. He is a member of the M. E. Church
Ray County History 1881. Pages 519 - 520
Shoope, Joseph S.
Joseph S. Snoop was born May IS, 1816, in Washington county, Maryland. When about fifteen years of age, he went
to Waynes borough, Pennsylvania, to learn the trade of cabinet making. After remaining four years and a half thus
employed, he spent a few months in Ohio, and then came to Ray county, arriving October 28, 1837, and engaged in
the manufacture and sale of furniture until about the year 1863, when he purchased a farm one mile south of Richmond,
to which he moved. In the fall of 1878 he again engaged in the furniture business, but continued to
reside on his farm, till the spring of 1881, when he rented out his farm and returned to Richmond, and now devotes
his whole attention to the furniture business. He is a member of the Christian Church, and is a pious, unobtrusive,
honest man. He was married in September, 1842, to Miss Maria Bransford, of Barren county, Kentucky. His first wife
died, and some years afterward he was married to Mary E. Baber. They have three children, Cora Thomas W. and Clarence.
Shotwell, John W.
The subject of this sketch was born July 4, 1828, in Mason county, Kentucky. His father was Judge Jabez Shotwell,
who was born in Kentucky in 1791, and died in Ray county, Missouri, in 1871. He was for many years judge of the
ray county court; a highly honorable and useful citizen, who will long be kindly remembered by all who knew him,
living. His mother was likewise a native of Kentucky, born in 1797, and died in 1852. In the fall of 1833 Mr. Shotwell
moved with his parents to Lexington, Missouri, and in the fall of 1835, to Richmond, Ray county, where he now resides.
Early in 1855 he began reading law, with Messrs. Oliver & Conrow, of Richmond, as his preceptors. He was admitted
to the bar June 1, 1856. He is a successful lawyer, familiar with the different departments of his profession,
and has been a close student. He enjoys an excellent reputation both as a lawyer and as a gentleman. In 1877 he
associated with him in the practice, J.E. Ball, Esq.; the partners have a lucrative practice, as well as the confidence
of the public. Mr. Shotwell was elected one of the directors of the Ray County Savings Bank, at its organization,
and has been connected with it ever since. In February, 1880, he was elected its vice president, a position he
still retains. In the year last mentioned he, in connection with W. P. Hubbell and L. D. Priest, sunk a coal shaft
near the railroad depot in the western part of the city, to the depth of one hundred feet. They employ, in operating
this mine, about twenty men. The coal is of superior quality, the vein exhaustless, and the business exceedingly
profitable. Mr. Shotwell accompanied General Price, as a soldier in the state guards, in Col. Reaves' regiment,
to Camp Cowskin Prairie, and took part in the battles of Carthage and Wilson's Creek. February 14, 1861, he was
married to Miss Julia E. Devlin, a native of Michigan. They have seven children living, five boys and two girls:
Anna, John W., Joseph, Lizzie D., William M., Benjamin E. and Horace. Mr. Shotwell is a member of the Baptist Church,
while his wife is a member of the M. E. Church South. They are exemplary Christians, and respected by the entire
community in which they live. Mr. Shotwell is also a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Knights of Honor.
Ray County History 1881
W.W. Smith, the well-known financier and successful banker, is the President of the Lawson Bank, and also of
the Exchange Bank of Richmond, both in Ray County. Mr. Smith was born in Guilford County, N.C., May 5, 1827, and
belongs to a family whose representatives have borne an honorable part in national affairs, both as brave soldiers
and public-spirited citizens. His grandfather, William Smith, was one of the heroes who participated in the battle
of Guildford Court House. The father of our subject, Jedediah Smith, also a native of Guilford County, served in
the War of 1812, and was at Norfolk, Va., when peace was declared.
In the county above-named, Jedediah Smith engaged in the general mercantile business until his departure for
Missouri. Prior to his removal he married Jane Close, a native of the county. He came to Ray County in 1838, and
after sojourning for a few months in Richmond, located in township 52, range 29, in the spring of the following
year. Here he purchased land and entered a large tract from the Government, becoming in time one of the largest
land-owners in the community. Settlers were few and at long distances from one another, but they were hospitable
people, and in their log cabins there was always room for the passing stranger. Mr. Smith turned his attention
to farming, and labored indefatigably, as he had come with the object of increasing his fortune, but he had quite
a set-back during the panic of 1837 and the dark days that followed.
Five children constituted the parental family, namely: John C., a physician, who died in 1846; Joseph A., whose
sketch appears elsewhere in this volume; Susan A., who married Dr. Watson, of Buchanan County, Mo., and died about
1863; our subject, and Margaret Emma, wife of Mr. Cummins, of Lawson. The father was a prominent member of the
Presbyterian Church and served as Elder. In politics he was a Democrat of the old school, fervent in his admiration
of Gen. Jackson, and always a supporter of the straight ticket. He came of good old English stock, his grandsire,
John Smith, having emigrated from England and purchased a large tract of land in North Carolina. There is in the
family a record of the sale by him to a Mr. Clapp of a tract of land, bearing date of the year 1730.
Our subject was eleven years old when he accompanied his parents to Ray County. He attended the local schools,
and later was a student in a High School in Maury County, Tenn., where he completed his course of instruction.
Returning from school, he remained at home for some time, trading in stock, and during the war with Mexico made
quite a handsome sum of money, enough to give him a fairly good start in life, by trading in mules. The California
gold epidemic reached him in 1850, and with three companions he drove across the plains with a team of mules, and
reached the diggings in three months. Upon reaching their destination, one of the party left and the others opened
a provision store. One Hays worked in the mines, and Mr. Finch of the original party, worked with him, while our
subject took charge of the store. They remained in all about a year, when our subject grew homesick and the party
divided, he returning to Missouri, where he remained at home for some time, giving many hours to hunting wolves,
deer and other wild game.
After his marriage in 1857, Mr. Smith took charge of the farm, and continued in its management until 1885, during
which time he engaged very successfully in raising mules and cattle. In August, 1885, he came to Lawson, where
he has since remained, occupying an elegant residence, one of the finest in the entire county. In addition to his
city property he owns about two thousand acres of land in Ray, Clay, Clinton and Caldwell Counties. His wife was
Sallie, daughter of John U. Miles, a merchant of Kentucky, who afterward came to Ray County. Mrs. Smith was born
in Lawrenceburgh, Ky., and accompanied her father to this State when she was quite young. She has borne her husband
nine children, six daughters and three sons, all of whom are successful and prominent citizens of their various
communities. R.A. and Miles W. are conducting the farm, and Clay is assistant in the bank. The eldest daughter,
Alice, married Dr. W.G. Estell; Jennie became the wife of A.J. Watkins. The others are Kate, Annie, Sally and Ella.
The children have received good educations, and are a credit to their parents.
A Democrat in politics, Mr. Smith is interested in the success of his party, although he does not take
an active part in political affairs. He is a member of the Masonic order, and is actively interested in the welfare
of that ancient institution, having been one of the charter members at Greenville, and also at Lawson. For nearly
twenty years he has been a Deacon in the Presbyterian Church, in which he has always been a zealous worker, and
a liberal supporter both of the church and the Sunday-school. He is also a Trustee of Lawson College, and has manifested
the utmost generosity toward this institution, giving it the land on which the building stands, as well as a very
liberal cash contribution. He is a member of the firm of Hurt & Smith, who own the largest mercantile establishment
in Lawson. He has fenced more than one thousand acres of land, has greatly improved his farm property in various
ways, extended his banking interests and promoted the success of the mercantile house with which he is connected.
When he and his wife began housekeeping they had a home-made bedstead, and their entire household effects did not
cost $15. There was not a carpet upon the floor, and the comforts were very few yet to-day he is one of the wealthiest
men in Ray County. This gratifying success may be attributed to his perseverance, untiring energy and good judgment,
Qualities which almost invariably bring fortune to their possessor.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri, 1893
Stockwell, Samuel Bob
Samuel Bob Stockwell; One of the progressive, enterprising and be exact, from Ray County, Missouri, where he had
spent a few years and where he had lived during the war, in which he served as a member of the Missouri State Militia.
He had gone to Ray County to take up farming from Rush County, Indiana, having received a limited education in
the' district schools of the Hoosier state, and in Rush County was married to Amanda Ellis, daughter of Judge Ellis,
a farmer and Christian preacher who came to Missouri and settled in Harrison County about the time of Mr. Stockwell's
migration. Judge Ellis died here as did his wife, their home being located about six miles south of the Town of
On coming to Harrison County, Shelton M. Stockwell settled three miles west of Bethany, purchasing the Jo Riggs
farm, on which he carried on farming and stock-raising in a thorough and successful manner, doing the substantial
improvement necessary to make a productive farm and erecting buildings for the comfort of his family and the shelter
of his stock, grain and implements. He was one of the early feeders here and for his own use bred the Poland-China
hog, while the Short Horn cattle stocked his pastures and were of his own breeding. He was a man close to the people,
his neighbors, without political ambitions, although strong as a republican. He favored public education and always
gave it his moral and financial support, although he had had but few advantages in his own youth, and in this respect
his wife was much like him, although her opportunities had, perhaps, been a little greater. She still survives
and resides at Bethany , her eighty-eighth birthday having occurred November 17, 1914. She is identified with the
Christian Church, and Mr. Stockwell's membership therein dated from early life. He was unfriendly to secret organizations,
and in his intercourse with men never essayed to speak in public. Mr. Stockwell passed away, universally respected
and esteemed, on his farm in Harrison County , July 13, 1895, when his community lost a strong, stirring and helpful
citizen. The children of Shelton M. and Amanda Stockwell were as follows: Alonzo, a resident of Bethany; Belle,
who is the wife of J. W. Kerlin, of Albany, Missouri; Viola, who married Charles McCoy, of White Oak Township,
Harrison County; Alice, who is the wife of W. M. Claytor, also of White Oak Township; Elizabeth, who is the widow
of the late R. A. Cowan, and resides at Bethany; Jennie, who is the wife of J. B. Rhodus, of that place; and Samuel
The father of Shelton M. Stockwell was a native of Bourbon County , Kentucky , who had all the Kentuckian's love
for fine horseflesh and was a dealer in and breeder of that animal, also engaging in general farming pursuits.
Some time after his marriage to Miss Goff, a German woman whose family was prominently known in Bourbon County
, he moved to Rush County, Indiana, and there continued to be engaged as a farmer during the remainder of his life.
He was also a local preacher of the Christian Church, and both he and his wife are buried in Indiana . Their children
were as follows: Eliza, who became the wife of a Mr. Cowan and spent her life in Indiana; Parson, who died in Missouri;
Elisha, who died in Ray County, Missouri; Shelton M., the father of Samuel B., and born in Bourbon County, Kentucky;
Margaret, who married Hugh Cowan and died in Indiana; and Robert, who passed away in Harrison County, Missouri.
Samuel Bob Stockwell was born on the farm on which he now lives, December 28, 1870. His life as a boy and youth
was brought into close connection with stock and he began buying cattle when he was but thirteen years of age,
in the meantime securing his education in the community schools, and in which, to use Mr. Stockwell's own words,
"he went as far as he could." lie was about eighteen years of age when he became manager of the home
farm, and eight years later was put in full control of it. He fed his first load of cattle in 1896, and has been
identified with feeding every year since, his operations gradually increasing in scope and importance until he
is now accounted one of the leading stockmen of the county. Mr. Stockwell's ranch comprises land in sections 12
and 13, in township 63, range 29, aggregating 240 acres; in Bethany Township he owns land in sections 7 and 18,
same township and range, aggregating 160 acres, all joining and making a handsome ranch devoted to horses, mules
and cattle; and he also operates a leased ranch near Hatfield, Missouri, an important part of his industry.
In politics Mr. Stockwell is a republican, but he is entirely without political ambitions, and has never
even attended local or other conventions. He cast his first presidential vote for Benjamin Harrison, in 1892. Possessing
a pleasing personality and being an intelligent and interesting conversationalist, Mr. Stockwell has formed many
acquaintances in Harrison County and has retained them as friends. He is a member of the Odd Fellows and Knights
of Pythias, having taken some interest in fraternal matters, and with Mrs. Stockwell attends the Christian Church,
with which both are affiliated.
Mr. Stockwell was married April 17, 1910, at Saint Joseph , Missouri , by Rev. M. M. Goode, to Miss Sadie J. Sutton,
a daughter of John H. and Ellen (Hubbard) Sutton, of Rush County, Indiana. Mr. Sutton was reared in Davies County
, Missouri , and has lived in Harrison County since 1888, has been a prominent contractor for many years, and has
four sons following the same line of work. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Sutton are: Leonard H., Henry G., Fred
K., Ralph H., Mrs. Stockwell, Nell K., who is county superintendent of schools of Harrison County , John H., Jr.,
and Herbert D.
Source: A History of Northwest Missouri Volume III; publ. 1915 in III Volumes; Edited by Walter Williams; Submitted
to Genealogy Trails and transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack