Townships of Ray County Missouri

Bluffton Township: Bluffton township is no longer in existence. It was created in April 1821 the same day that Gallatin township and Missourion townships were created. It embraced all that part of what was then Ray county, lying between Grand river and the range line, separating ranges twenty-nine and thirty. In February 1823 it's boundaries were as follows: beginning at the line between Ray and Clay counties, and running thence east to the range line, between ranges twenty-seven and twenty-eight.


Camden Township: Created July 5, 1841. Part of Fishing River township are included in Camden township. In 1847 sections fifteen and twenty-two, in range twenty-seven, of Camden township, were attached to to Richmond township.


Crooked River Township: Created February 1823. Beginning at the line between twenty-seven and twenty-eight, thence east to the line between twenty-five and twenty six.


Gallatin Township: Gallatin was created April 1821 the same day that Bluffton and Fishing River Townships were created.


Grape Grove Township: Created July 2, 1838.


Fishing River Township (1): Created April 1821. The boundary of Fishing River created in 1821 are no longer in Ray County, though currently there is a Fishing River Township. When Fishing River township was created it included what now are the counties, Clay, Clinton, De Kalb, Gentry, and Worth.


Fishing River Township (2): Created November 1826 out of that portion of Bluffton township lying west of range twenty-eight. It was the portion of range twenty-nine north of the Missouri river.


Grand River Township: Created May 1832. It was the width, and lay northeast of Marion township. It extended to the state line, and embraced an area no part of which is within the present Ray county.


Knoxville Township: Created 1841.


Marion Township: Created May 7, 1832. Formed out of Richmond township. This township included part of what is now Caldwell county.


Missouriton Township: Created in May 1822. The county court reduced the number of townships to two - Missouriton and Bluffton. Missouriton township, which is not longer in existence. In February of 1823 Missouritan township was as follows: beginning at the line separating ranges twenty-five and twenty-six, and running east to Charitan county line.


Polk Township: Created July 29, 1845. Formed out of the northern part of Fishing River township.


Orrick Township: Created after 1881.


Richmond Township: In February 1829 the county court, changed the name of Bluffton township to Richmond township in honor of the new county seat.


Shoal Creek Township: Created in June, 1825. It lay north of Marion township, and no part of it is in Ray county today.

The above was taken in part from History of Ray County, Missouri: 1881.



Towns & Communities of Ray County, Missouri

ALBANY - Ely Carter established the village of Albany in 1854. It was located one mile northeast of Orrick. It had seven business houses, one school, one four mill, and one church. Once Orrick grew along the railroad and the Albany stores and churches gradually moved a mile south to the new town. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


ALFRED - FLOYD -
In 1882 near Orrick, the town of Alfred later called Floyd was surveyed, platted and incorporated at the request of the Chicago, Santa Fe, and California Railway companies. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


ALLEN'S MILL - LISBONVILLE - CHICKEN BRISTLE -
This was located about two miles northeast of present day Elmira on the Ray-Caldwell line and started as Allen's Mill, when Ison Allen and a brother in 1866 installed a stream-powered sawmill, and equipped it with grist milling facilities. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


BLUFFTON - In 1821, according to Louise Darneal, Ray County settlers, fearing an attack by the Indians, built a fort on the Missouri River near where Camden now stands and called it Bluffton. It was the first village founded in Missouri north of the Missouri River and became the first county seat. The first public road in the county ran over 7 miles from Bluffton to John Thornton's mill, east of where Richmond was after founded.

Bluffton served as the county seat of Ray until 1828. Twice efforts were made to have it accepted by the county commissioners, but since the title involved many transfers and New Madrid, Missouri, land grants were a part of it, the title never could be cleared sufficiently at that time to be accepted, so the town of Richmond was purchased, platted, and named as the County Seat.

Local tradition has it that the first settlers in Bluffton were the members of a Copeland family, at or near Bluffton, who went to Oregon during the land rush thee in 1850's. When Bluffton was started there were no steamboats on the Missouri River, and the river traffic was not considered to be any particular importance. So the fort was built, and the town of Bluffton was started off the river, to the west of what is now Camden, in Sections 26 and 27, Township 51, Range 28. Bluffton's demise began with the regular advent of the steamboat on the Missouri River finished the town, which was already dwindling with the transfer of the county seat to Richmond. Camden, a good steamboat landing site, was platted in 1836, and Bluffton was replaced and gone.

Court records entitled "Road & Bridge" Box 303, Doc 331, state "A list of hands to work on the bottom road - beginning at the "old fort in old blufton" 1835.

{Portions taken from Ray County History, 1881}

BROWNSBURGH - It was platted by John and Matilda Brown in January 1874 on 33 acres (NE 10, 54-26) near Tinney's Point. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


BUFFALO CITY - It was located out of Hardin southeast about 3/4 mile. There was a grocery store, a saloon, and a blacksmith shop near Buffalo. There were not bridges acorss Crooked River. When the town of Hardin was platted, around 1868, most people promptly moved there, and Buffalo City decayed.{Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

CATO - This is another short-lived attempt at a community which started in August 1892 and only survived until September 1893. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


CHICKEN BRISTLE - ALLEN'S MILL - LISBONVILLE -
This was located about two miles northeast of present day Elmira on the Ray-Caldwell line and started as Allen's Mill, when Ison Allen and a brother in 1866 installed a stream-powered sawmill, and equipped it with grist milling facilities. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

CRAB ORCHARD - ELKHORN - Still known today, but with only a few houses and a meat market to mark its existence. Elkhorn is located on Highway 10 between Excelsior Springs and Richmond. It had a post office as early as 1840. It was changed to Crab Orchard in 1843. The town was platted, but never did develop. {2006 note: The meat market is no longer in business} {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


ELDERTON - Located on the road east and a little north of Morton about three miles. I can not find any evidence of the town ever having come into any further existence than just the platting. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


FAIR VIEW - PLEASANT VIEW - SLIP UP - The village was situated on a tract of high, rolling prairie land, laid out about the year 1857 by a erman named Isaac Berry. The location ws in the west part of Section 27, Township 54, Range 29. Between Crooked River's flooding and the coming of the railroad this little village gradually faded away, only the cemetery remaining today. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


ALFRED - FLOYD - In 1882 near Orrick, the town of Alfred later called Floyd was surveyed, platted and incorporated at the request of the Chicago, Santa Fe, and California Railway companies. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

DOCKERY - Dockery is located 5 miles north of Richmond on Highway 13. It once was a small thriving town. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

EGYPT COMMUNITY - Located south of Orrick and west of Fishing River to the Missouri River and was named in 1845. A Christian Union Church was organized by the early settlers and was disbanded following the flood of 1951. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

ELKHORN - CRAB ORCHARD - Still known today, but with only a few houses and a meat market to mark its existence. Elkhorn is located on Highway 10 between Excelsior Springs and Richmond. It had a post office as early as 1840. It was changed to Crab Orchard in 1843. The town was platted, but never did develop. {2006 note: The meat market is no longer in business} {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

ELMIRA - LISBONVILLE - Located in Northwest Ray County, in 1885 James and Francis Langford applied for a postal permit for this settlement. They had wanted to name it Allen's Mill for Isom Allen who had installed in 1866 a steam powered sawmill, but learned that Missouri already had a town by that name. An earlier suggestion by Dr. J.H. James to call the town Lisbonville was decided. Lisbonville had great hopes for expansion when the railroad built their line through this part of Ray County. However, the town was unfavorable fue to the Crooked River and a spot was selected two miles southwest and was named Elmira for the wife of a railroad official. Coal was discovered and it became a booming mine town. Once the mine swindled and the post office closed its doors in 1959, the town now marked by a few buildings and home. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

FARMVILLE - The community was founded just northeast of Henrietta in the 1830's by James and Thomas Allen of Farmville, VA., the uncles of Charles Watkins. In 1849 James built a two-car mule-drawn railroad on wooden tracks at a cost of $1,500 per mile. It ran five miles from Farmville to the 1819 site of Jacks Ferry at the Missouri river.

FLEMING - Located on Highway T between Orrick and Richmond. Fleming was a mining town. Business' sprouted up and were successful until the coal mines closed. Now it is marked by a few homes. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


FOOTE STATION - Sometimes called Old Foot, as a post office it is said to have been near or at the residence of William H. McGaugh. When a railroad was built from North Lexington to St. Joseph, the post office at Otsego was moved to Old Foot Station (this was evidently just before Haller, now Rayville, was platted in 1871.) {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

FOX - RUSSELLVILLE - - Russellville was founded about 1853, 5 miles East of Millville. It was in the 1900's that it became necessary to change the name of the post office to Fox to avoid confusion with the mail with another Russellville, Missouri. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

FREDERICKSBURG - NEW GARDEN -Was located east-northeast of the present day Excelsior Springs Golf Course. One of the five battles, or skirmishes, of the Civil War in Ray County occurred here. In 1842, the post office was re-established and known as New Garden. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

Richmond Missourian
October 15, 1925
A Ray County "Lost Town"
The following, from T.C. Alford's Missouri department in the Kansas City Star of Sunday, tells in an interesting manner a true story of an old "lost" town of Ray county, told previously in the columns of The Missourian but in different terms:
Some of the old-timers in Clay and Ray counties remember the old town of Fredericksburg, the site of which is now a part of the John Emmke farm near Excelsior Springs. Fredericksburg for 50 years, was an important trading point disappearing about 1886 with the establishment of Excelsior Springs. In the Civil War the battle of Fredericksburg was fought there, between Colorado federal troops and Missouri bushwhackers.
The old town consisted of several residences, a general store, a warehouse, blacksmith shop and a saloon. A short distance away was the church in which Jesse James's father preached the dedicatory sermon.
Mrs. Lydia Isley, 89 years old, whose husband operated the general store, well remembers the old town Fredericksburg. The store employed four clerks. Mrs. Isley, often saw as many as one hundred horses tied in front. All that is left today is the Isley home, a log house now covered with weather boards, which was built about one hundred years ago.
Mrs. Isley, who makes her home in Excelsior Springs, is quite remarkable for one of her age. She has a retentive memory. She sews and read without glasses.


FREDONIA - This town was platted in September 1869 just after the Civil War by Emilius Wood. It was to be located between Richmond and Henrietta, in the northeast quarter of Section 9, Township 51, Range 27 West. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

FROG EYE - MINERAL CITY - In the summer of 1903, just around the bend of Crooked River and Fire Creek, Stephen Mullin and some of his neighbors decided to drill a well on his land because there had been a severe water shortage, and Fire Creek was insufficient to supply everyone's needs in the emergency. The water from the well proved to be a strong soda-saline type similar to that of the defunct St. Cloud, and this revived hopes again of prosperity from the health giving water. Through the years following, Mullin's well became famous. In 1908, according to the records at the courthouse, Stephen M. and Louisa Mullin and Peter J. Carchas of St. Joseph, a lawyer whom Mullin had consulted about legal matters, filed a plat of the proposed Mineral City. The water became so famous it was shipped in barrels to other states. Finally, at the death of Mullin, debts were so out standing that his family moved away, the well was capped, and the well house torn down, and today a few bits of foundations here and there are all that remain of this bit of Ray County history.

The nickname "Frog Eye" for this place, it seems, came about because there were two or three old lagoons which had been formed from the overflow of Crooked River and these made an ideal home for many frogs. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

GEORGEVILLE - GRANGE HALL - A village in northern in the northeast quarter of Section 15, Township 54, Range 27, Grape Grove township was founded in the 1860's at a crossroad. It was first named Grange Hall. The first store was opened in 1860 by Ephraim McGlothlin and two years later James Hatfield opened a seccussful store. The post office was located in the Hatfield store. By 1973 a small stock of staples and livestock feed could be found in the building where once there was a thriving business. Today (2000) nothing remains of the town. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

GRANGE HALL - GEORGEVILLE - A village in northern in the northeast quarter of Section 15, Township 54, Range 27, Grape Grove township was founded in the 1860's at a crossroad. It was first named Grange Hall. The first store was opened in 1860 by Ephraim McGlothlin and two years later James Hatfield opened a seccussful store. The post office was located in the Hatfield store. By 1973 a small stock of staples and livestock feed could be found in the building where once there was a thriving business. Today (2000) nothing remains of the town. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

GRAPE GROVE - This was mentioned several times in early family stories, but only that it was at a cross-roads, I found this notation grape Grove established a post office May 29, 1838. Grape Grove's name was changed to Millville June 27, 1847. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

HALLEVILLE - OIL CITY - It came into being north of Orrick about 1898 - 1900, when a sixteen-hundred foot oil well was drilled there. It proved to be a dry hole. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


HULL'S POINT -
According to the 1877 Ray County Atlas, about five miles west-northwest of Orrick. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

KNOXVILLE - Located north of Richmond on Highway 13 it was laid out in 1837 by John Grimes from Tennessee. It was the crossroads of the stagecoach lines from Carrollton to Plattsburg and from Lexington to Gallatin. The coal mines were a big business for Knoxville. Today it is marked by several homes along Highway 13. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


LAKEVIEW -
For over seventy years from 1880's to 1952 when the last mine closed this mining village, located about 3 1/2 mile northeast of Hardin, was very active. Heisinger Lake, which once lay to the southeast of the town, was the source of the name. Coal which so richly underlies most of Ray County was the source of employment foremost of the people in the village, as it was in many other Ray County towns of that period. The last store closed in 1948, and when the remaining mine stopped when the demand for coal declined due to natural gas and electricity coming into easy supply, Lakeview's reason for existing was gone and so was the town. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

"Lakeview, so called because of Heisinger Lake which once lay to the southeast, was for over 70 years an active, bustling, mining village of homes, stores, a school, post office and a brick and tile factory.
Among the first to open up mines in Lakeview were John Huston, James Edgar, Joseph Loeven bought 40 acres for $200 and hired miners for $1.25 and $1.50 for a 10 hour working day. In the later years, when the mines were at the height of production, there were 14 mines operating with an average of 12 men working each mine. The average digging per day was around 50 bushels.
"The mining industry also furnished employment for coal haulers. Before daylight, long lines of wagons formed at each mine. Fifteen hundred bushels of coal were required each morning just to get the fires going. During the threshing season, those who owned threshing machines would send as many as 10 wagons at a time to get fuel for the big steam engines which pulled the separators.
"Jeremiah Bryan had the first store in Lakeview and also built a brick and tile factory.
"William Edgar purchased the grocery store owned by Mr. Loeven, and served the community well for many years, closing in 1948. This was the last store in Lakeview, and as homes and industries converted to gas and electricity, the demand for coal declined, and the last mine shut down in 1952.
Ray County History 1973


LICK SKILLET - TAITSVILLE -
It was in 1833 that a settlement was first made here. It's demise was helped along by the coming of the railroad in 1887. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


LISBONVILLE - ALLEN'S MILL - CHICKEN BRISTLE -
This was located about two miles northeast of present day Elmira on the Ray-Caldwell line and started as Allen's Mill, when Ison Allen and a brother in 1866 installed a stream-powered sawmill, and equipped it with grist milling facilities. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

LISBONVILLE - ELMIRA -- Located in Northwest Ray County, in 1885 James and Francis Langford applied for a postal permit for this settlement. They had wanted to name it Allen's Mill for Isom Allen who had installed in 1866 a steam powered sawmill, but learned that Missouri already had a town by that name. An earlier suggestion by Dr. J.H. James to call the town Lisbonville was decided. Lisbonville had great hopes for expansion when the railroad built their line through this part of Ray County. However, the town was unfavorable fue to the Crooked River and a spot was selected two miles southwest and was named Elmira for the wife of a railroad official. Coal was discovered and it became a booming mine town. Once the mine swindled and the post office closed its doors in 1959, the town now marked by a few buildings and home. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


LOUELLA - In May 1900, a post office was established giving its location in the SE 1/4, Section 32, Township 54 North, Range 26 West or roughly in the center of a triangle formed by Fox, Regal and Ovid. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

McBEE'S LANDING - In 1836 a caravan of ox teams with the recently widowed Mrs. Rachel (Riley) McBee and her 4 married sons stopped and settled just east of Hardin where the Red Brick School was later located. But floods, very severe that year, forced them to uproot themselves and move on up into the bluff country in 1837 and they finally settled in the area past Millville where New Hope M.E. church is today. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


McCLAIN'S MILL - By 1935 there were enough settlers in the northwest part of present day Ray County to require a log schoolhouse. The "Battle of Crooked River" a day's skirmish between Mormons of adjoining Caldwell County and a militia of Ray County, took place in 1838, in a valley one mile south of that school. Upstream a short distance from where the battle took place, a Mr. McClain began operating a water-powered grist mill near the Ed Knutter ford over Crooked River; this being only a short distance southeast of present-day Elmira. The post office there was established in 1858 and ran until 1860, but then the name was changed to Pleasant View. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


MILLVILLE - Located Route K about 11 miles northeast of Richmond on the east fork of Crooked River. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

MINERAL CITY - FROG EYE - In the summer of 1903, just around the bend of Crooked River and Fire Creek, Stephen Mullin and some of his neighbors decided to drill a well on his land because there had been a severe water shortage, and Fire Creek was insufficient to supply everyone's needs in the emergency. The water from the well proved to be a strong soda-saline type similar to that of the defunct St. Cloud, and this revived hopes again of prosperity from the health giving water. Through the years following, Mullin's well became famous. In 1908, according to the records at the courthouse, Stephen M. and Louisa Mullin and Peter J. Carchas of St. Joseph, a lawyer whom Mullin had consulted about legal matters, filed a plat of the proposed Mineral City. The water became so famous it was shipped in barrels to other states. Finally, at the death of Mullin, debts were so out standing that his family moved away, the well was capped, and the well house torn down, and today a few bits of foundations here and there are all that remain of this bit of Ray County history.

The nickname "Frog Eye" for this place, it seems, came about because there were two or three old lagoons which had been formed from the overflow of Crooked River and these made an ideal home for many frogs. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

MORTON - SHAW'S SHOP - First known as Shaw's Shop, after Mr. Shaw. When it was established is unknown only that in 1864 a portion of Company F, 51st Division was stationed at Shaw's Shop. It is located east of Hardin. J.P. Hubbell bought the farm-town property in Shaw's Shop, not liking the name he changed it to Morton, which was the maiden name of his wife. Morton was a thriving town at one time. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

MUD CREEK COMMUNITY: Mentioned in the murder newspaper account of Jeff Evilsizer, 1886. Jeff Evilsizer owned land in Grape Grove Township, Township 54, Range 26, Section 10, just outside of Tinneys Grove. The newspaper account states the town was known as "Tinneys Point".


NEW GARDEN- FREDERICKSBURG
This location is near the western border of Ray County, about 4 miles east and a little south of Excelsior Springs. In this area in 1842 the New Garden Primitive Baptist Church was organized with 15 members, all with letters from Big Pigeon Baptist Church, Cocke County, Tennessee. There is a legend to account for the fact that for many years it was known as the Church of the Lost Child. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

North Lexington - An old memorandum says that there was an old town at the landing on the north side of the river - North Lexington - opposite Lexington, MO, on the Ray County side -- and that there was a hotel, two or three stores, a blacksmith shop and a cooper shop for making barrels and butter firkins. The old memoroondom says further that "Old Town fell into the river." {Ray County Chapters Vol I}

OIL CITY - HALLEVILLE - It came into being north of Orrick about 1898 - 1900, when a sixteen-hundred foot oil well was drilled there. It proved to be a dry hole. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


OLD FOOT - Sometimes called Foote Station, as a post office it is said to have been near or at the residence of William H. McGaugh. When a railroad was built from North Lexington to St. Joseph, the post office at Otsego was moved to Old Foot Station (this was evidently just before Haller, now Rayville, was platted in 1871.) {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


ORTON - During the years 1899 and 1900 there was a post office. It's location is in the area between Orrick and Elkhorn somewhere. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


OTSEGO - Jason N. Baker was the first postmaster beginning May, 1851. This location was, according to information from the National Archives, seven miles west of Knoxville, and one mile north of Rocky Ford Creek. James F. Blackwell was the last listed postmaster, the office being discontinued in 1871, giving way to the location of Old Foot along the newly built railrood line. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

OVID- About 5 miles northeast of Millville was this little settlement. There was not school, and the nearest church was West Antoich Church. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"} (This community was probably located in Grape Grove Township)


PETERSBURG -
Located a short way north of the Crooked River bridge which is on Highway 10 just before you reach Hardin. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


PIGGSVILLE - This little community was on the bank of Fishing River at the crossing of the Missouri City road 3 miles west of Orrick on Highway 210 and was named in honor of Jefferson Pigg. Known mostly as Pigg's Landing, a house built there in 1870 by Lewis Pigg has been occupied continuously by the same family and its descendants for over a century. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"} (NOTE: 2006, It is not known if the house is still standing and still occupied by the Pigg family.)


PLEASANT VIEW - FAIR VIEW - SLIP UP
- The village was situated on a tract of high, rolling prairie land, laid out about the year 1857 by a erman named Isaac Berry. The location ws in the west part of Section 27, Township 54, Range 29. Between Crooked River's flooding and the coming of the railroad this little village gradually faded away, only the cemetery remaining today. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


ROCKINGHAM - This agricultural community northeast of Hardin was founded by families from the Shenandoah Valley, Rockingham County, Virginia, following the ravaging of Sheridan's men during the Civil War. These early settlers were of deep religious convictions and were members of the Church of the Brethren. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

RUSSELLVILLE - FOX - Russellville was founded about 1853, 5 miles East of Millville. It was in the 1900's that it became necessary to change the name of the post office to Fox to avoid confusion with the mail with another Russellville, Missouri. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


ST. CLOUD -
In 1880 a mineral spring was found bubbling up through the earth on a farm 4 miles northwest of Richmond. It was called St. Cloud Springs and a company was formed to develop the area. The Maple Leaf Hotel, a two story building, was erected near the spring, and the complex grew to include a butcher shop, a saloon, a bathhouse where the ailing took mineral and mud baths, and even summer cottages. Four passanger trains per day came to the area bringing tourists, so a depot was added. Cave Spring was not far from here, which provided additional recreation for the walk there and back. But problems arose; business became slack, the hotel began to lose money, there were squabbles between the owners of the land, and finally, when the hotel burned in 1890, St. Cloud gradually disappeared, leaving only the little sprng. This, too, vanished when the creek changed its course and started flowing directly over the mineral spring, and St. Cloud was a thing of the past. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

SANDALS - Known first as the Grange store, then as Sandals Store, it finally was shortened to just Sandals. James Sandals had a grist and saw mill here as well as his store. It was located about 100 feet from the old Plattsburg State Road, but today would be easier placed if I say it was about one mile north and four miles west of Knoxville. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

More information on Sandals

SHAW'S SHOP - MORTON - First known as Shaw's Shop, after Mr. Shaw. When it was established is unknown only that in 1864 a portion of Company F, 51st Division was stationed at Shaw's Shop. It is located east of Hardin. J.P. Hubbell bought the farm-town property in Shaw's Shop, not liking the name he changed it to Morton, which was the maiden name of his wife. Morton was a thriving town at one time. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

SISK - In September 1883, Bartlett Sisk made an application to change the post office from New Garden a distance of 3/4 miles to his house and to call it Sisk's Mill. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


SLIP UP - PLEASANT VIEW FAIR VIEW - The village was situated on a tract of high, rolling prairie land, laid out about the year 1857 by a erman named Isaac Berry. The location ws in the west part of Section 27, Township 54, Range 29. Between Crooked River's flooding and the coming of the railroad this little village gradually faded away, only the cemetery remaining today. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

SIX MILE STRIP

SUNSHINE - Southwest of Henrietta lies an area known as the Sunshine Bottoms. The first school was built around 1840 here, and the first Methodist church of Sunshine was organized in 1848, it being only the second M.E. in Ray County at the time. Occupations in the area besides farming were sawing and rafting logs since this was very near the Missouri River. Tobacco and hemp were among the early crops raised and sold in this area. On July 2, 1915, erratic Missouri River cut a new channel, eliminating the "Great Bend" which had given prominence to Camden and Orrick. A beautiful natural lake was formed in the Bottoms as a result of this and it was called Sunshine Lake for the area where it formed. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


SWANWICK -
Located 5 miles northwest of Richmond, this was another little village which came into existence in the 1870's because of the railroad. It was named by Major R. J. Williams in honor of a lady in St. Joseph whose first name was Swanie. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

TAITSVILLE - LICK SKILLET - It was in 1833 that a settlement was first made here. It's demise was helped along by the coming of the railroad in 1887. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


VATTIE -
From 1892, August, through April, 1895, a post office existed in this area about 2 1/2 miles south of Elkhorn. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

TINNEYS GROVE - Northeast Ray County. It was often referred to as Tinney's Point and was incorporated and platted in the early 1800's. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}

TINNEY POINT: See Tinney Grove. {L.S.}


VIBBARD -
Located on M Highway between Highway 10 and C Highway, south of Excelsior Springs. It's establishment date is unknown. Today it is marked by houses and a church. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


WALCONDA -
All I ever could find on this was that a post office existed from August 21, 1856, through February 18, 1859 and that George S. Ewing was the postmaster of record. The name seems to be another attempt to spell Wakenda Creek, and so I have placed it in that area. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}


WILLMOTT -
A post office was opened here in 1874 with Charles L. Bowen as official in charge, followed by Alvina Bowen in 1879, then being discontinued in 1887. It's location is 4 miles north of Fox-Russellville, 6 miles south of Tinney's Grove and 4-1/2 miles southeast of Ovid. {Extracts from an article written by Virginia King McBee "Gone But Not Entirely Forgotten"}



Back to Ray County, Missouri Main Page

SEARCH THIS SITE


© L. Smalley