Newspaper Tidbits


A Valuable Farm at Private Sale
I WILL SELL at Private Sale, the farm on which I now reside, situated in-Ray county, on the State road, 9 miles northwest of Richmond, containing.
325 Acres, 100 of which is under good fence, 20 or 25 acres well set in blue grass, and about 7 acres will set in timothy. There is on the farm a very comfortable
Dwelling House, and all other necessary out buildings. It is decidedly the best situation for a tavern in the upper country, and would also be an excellent point to sell Goods. The price will be regulated by the payments. Quintus C. Tibbs, Jan. 12, 1844 -tf
March 3, 1844,
Liberty Banner


The railroad depot at Camden, Ray County, was fired by an incendiary and destroyed on the 4th inst. Before burning the building, he entered the ticket office, and after plundering the mail bags, left there by the up train, set fire to the depot and concealed the mail bags in rear of Kirkpatrick's store, where they were found the next morning.
The Quincy Whig, Saturday, June 26, 1869, Page1[transcribed by Debbie Gibson]


A Social Party
On Thursday evening, June 14th, 1883, quite a crowd of young folks gathered at the residences, of Mr. Lewis Frazier, Sr., who lived near Hickory Grove church, to have a party in honor of the return of his son, Jerry, from New Mexico, where he now makes his home. Extensive preparations had been made for their coming and magnificent collation was set before them consisting of not only the substantials of life, but of the delicacies also, and after the usual round of social intercourse in the parlors the company was invited to the dining room where they did ample justice to this feast. Among those present were the following: Misses Fannie Kimbrough, Mattie James, Bettie Moore, Emma Falk, Maggie Sharp, Alice Frazier, and Messrs. Douglas Bowman, Geo. Falk, Walter Bowman, Earnest Kimbrough, John Young, Price Boggess, John Cox, Adron Mayberry, David Mills, John Smith and others. The party spent a very pleasant evening and separated in the very best of humor in the world; hoping that such occasions would often occur.
Richmond Democrat (Richmond, MO) – Thursday, June 12, 1883
, Submitted by Jim Dezotell

Mr. L. S. Frazier, of Morton, called and renewed for his paper last week, and also ordered the paper sent to his son, J. F. Frazier, at Chama, New Mexico. J. F. Frazier writes his father that he is firing on an engine that runs from Durango to Chama, on the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. His run is 108 miles long. He has splendid health and is please with that country.
Richmond Democrat (Richmond, MO) – Thursday, March 29, 1883
, Submitted by Jim Dezotell

Items From Hickory Grove
As Mrs. L. S. Frazier was going to Morton on the 20th of March, a plank broke while she was crossing a small bridge which frightened the horse and he threw her off, injuring her very seriously.
Richmond Democrat (Richmond, MO) – Thursday, March 29, 1883, Submitted by Jim Dezotell



On the 9th inst., by Eld. N. B. Peeler, Mr. Calvin Hauser, of this city, and Miss Ada Smith. The wedding took place at the residence of the bride’s mother near Richmond. Now we know why Mr. Hauser bought the Conrow residence, and we extend to him and his bride our best wishes.

By. Eld. Peeler, on the 12th, Mr. Benjamin Bowman and Miss Alice E. Frazier, all of Ray county.
Richmond Democrat (Richmond, MO) – Thursday, October 16, 1884
, Submitted by Jim Dezotell


Recorder Milstead during the past week issued marriage licenses to the following parties: Wm. Phillips and Mrs. Mary Eldridge, Thos. Smith and Frances Wilson, James Boggess and Susan Smith, Jas. Humberd and B. A. Irons, Jesse S. Sullinger and Nannie J. Trigg, J. F. Frazier and Fannie Kimbrough, Daniel H. Wright and Luella Dethrage.
Richmond Democrat (Richmond, MO) – Thursday, January 14, 1886

County Correspondence
On the night of the 11th inst. Jerry Frazier and Miss Fannie Kimbrough were at the residence of the bride’s mother, united in the holy fetters of wedlock by Rev. John Hunt. The wedding was attended by a large number of relatives and friends. Jerry has drawn an enviable prize from the matrimonial lottery. We with their other friends wish their nuptial state may be one of peace and joy.
Richmond Democrat (Richmond, MO) – Thursday, January 14, 1886

Mrs. L. S. Frazier called Saturday and ordered the DEMOCRAT sent to her son, Geo. B. Frazier, who is attending the deaf and dumb institute at Fulton.
Richmond Democrat (Richmond, MO) – Thursday, October 14, 1886


The Noborne Leader says that the creamery at that place has secured the contract of furnishing 1,200 pounds of butter per month to the asylum at Fulton during the year 1890, at twenty-four cents per pound for the winter months, and nineteen cents per pound for the summer months.
Richmond Conservator, January 30, 1890





After the Merchants
Captain Shutts, of the Lawson Courier, has the following to say with reference to the encouragement he is receiving in the way of advertising at the hands of the merchants of that town.
"When the people of Lawson will support a newspaper as the people of other towns their home paper, some one will publish a paper in Lawson. There are 4 dry good stores in Lawson, and not one of them has an advertisement in the Courier, 5 grocery stores in Lawson, and not one of them mentioned in the Courier; 3 millinery stores in Lawson, and neither of them asks for trade through the Courier; 2 furniture stores in Lawson, and neither of them advertise in the Courier. Geo. Young, J.M. Morrow, and R.M. Miller have always kept an advertisement in the Courier, and we bespeak for them a continuance of the liberal patronage they deserve and are receiving. More than half the trade belonging to Lawson goes to other towns. J.C. Brown & Co., and the Brown Clothing Co., of Richmond, have been liberal advertisers in the Courier, and they are proud of the trade they get from Lawson."
Captain, you should make your paper so hot that they cannot do without it. There are a few merchants in Richmond, and very few, who do not advertise in the CONSERVATOR, and those who do not are gradually losing their trade. They are either sleepy heads or haven't business sense enough to know that advertising pays. We don't know that Lawson has any such people but we have a few in Richmond. The man who advertises always has trade, while men, who do not generally come to grief in the long run. Some men in Richmond do not advertise in the CONSERVATOR because they do not like its editor, and we frankly confess that we do not like some of them.


Guthrie, Ok., Dec. 24 - The story of A.W. Foote, one of the Guthrie, Ok., prisoners granted a Christmas pardon this evening by Gov. Barnes, is a very remarkable one, showing how a continual train of misfortune seemed to follow the man and drag him down. Foote is a graduate of the Nebraska state university, and his petition for pardon is signed by the governor of Nebraska, all of the faculty of the Nebraska state university, professors in Leland Stanford university, senators and congressmen and many other prominent men.
He left home at the age of 20, worked his way through the university and graduated with honors. Soon after graduating he married a college girl. He prospered for a time and three children came to gladden their home and swell the expense of living. Then came adversity, and in the fall of 1892 he determined to better his fortunes in Oklahoma, and came to Guthrie, landing here with his family and $4 in cash. He was unable to get money to ship his household goods from Lincoln or to purchase others, and for weeks they lived in a small house without furniture of any kind, sleeping on straw on the floor.
Later he bought a little furniture and was getting the family comfortable, when his parents and sister and husband arrived from Nebraska. The mother at once took sick and died in a month, and the funeral expenses took all of Foote's money. A month later he fell from a scaffold and was unable to work for months. He then secured a country school and provided the necessities of life for his family again, but in a short time his father was paralyzed and lay at their home for many months absolutely helpless.

While the father was laying there a sister came in on them and soon died, and they had her funeral expenses to pay. Other brothers and sisters who had secured all of the parents' property refused to care for the paralyzed father or to help pay the expenses and his sickness soon exhausted the Foote purse as well as the strength of Foote and his wife. A few months later Mrs. Foote, from over-exertion in caring for the father, was afflicted with spinal trouble, and became bedridden.
With a helpless father and wife, with three little children, and suffering from his own injuries, Foote struggled along for a year, existing on what he could earn at off jobs, but desperation finally drove him to crime, and he stole to keep his loved ones from starvation.. A series of small burglaries puzzled the police for months until one night Foote was caught leaving a house with stolen articles. He was arrested and confessed and part of the stolen goods were recovered. It was shown he stole only as a last resort to keep his family from starving but the courts knew no mercy, and he was sentenced to seven years in the penitentiary. His wife and children were sent to her parents' home in Ray county, Mo., but they were too poor to care for her, and sent her on to a sister at Valparaiso, Ind. She made this trip on a cot in the baggage car, but when they learned that her husband was a convict they shut their door in her face and sent her back to Ray county on the same cot. Here she was put in the poorhouse, where she died last May, and was buried in a pauper's grave.. The youngest child is with its grand parents, but the two little girls are thrown upon the world with nobody to care for them and Foote asked to be pardoned or paroled on any condition or terms simply to give him a chance to work and care for them.

The pardon was granted by Gov. Barnes as soon as the facts were presented to him and was to-night telegraphed to Foote at the penitentiary as a Christmas present.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas Texas, December 25, 1897


House on Clevenger Farm Near Vibbard Said to be Haunted
- Excelsior Springs Journal
There are strange tales that reach the ears of the people of this part of the country about a house on Sam Clevenger's place, about two miles from Vibbard, that is occupied by Aaron Clevenger.
It is said that the family of Mr. Clevenger see strange sights and hear loud noises, but nothing real can be discovered. Several have seen what appeared to be a headless man and one or two a woman dressed in white, without a head. The noise at times seems to be the wood box being emptied on the floor, but on examination, it hasn't been disturbed, while at other times a loud scratching is heard under the house.
The place is becoming so unbearable that no one will live in the house and Mr. Clevenger intends to have the building torn down.
The "spook" can be seen in the day time as well as at night and comes oftener from the 20th to the first of each month.
There is talk of a party going from here one night this week and taking one of the clairvoyants along to talk to the "hant." (sic)
The place is a part of the old Brown farm and the building is an old structure built many years ago.
Richmond Conservator, August 3, 1905

Unveiling of the Cowdery Memorial
Tabernacle Choir Takes Part in the Exercises at Richmond, Missouri
Richmond, Mo, Nov 22 - With appropriate exercises, which began early this morning with a sacred concert by the Mormon tabernacle choir at a memorial service in the Farris theatre, and in the presence of many high dignitaries and 500 members of the church who traveled from Utah in special trains to be present, a huge granite shaft erected to the memory of Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer and Martin Harris, the three apostles who witnessed the translation of the Book of Mormon, was unveiled here today.
The monument stands over the grave of Oliver Cowdery in the old Richmond Cemetery. Cowdery was one of the six members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at its organization, April 6, 1830, at Fayette, Seneca county, NY and died in Richmond in 1850. Whitmer died here a few years later. Both are buried in the old cemetery. Harris
died in Salt Lake and is buried there. The description on the shaft reads:
"Sacred to the memory of Oliver Cowdery, witness to the Book of Mormon and to the translation thereof by the gift and power of God. He was the scribe of the translation as it fell from the lips of Joseph Smith, the prophet. This monument has been raised by his fellow believers, and also to commemorate the testimony of the three witnesses to the truth of which they maintained to the end of their lives."

Heber J. Grant, an apostle of the Mormon church and second in line of the apostolic succession, who lives in Salt Lake, presided at the ceremonies. [The Salt Lake Tribune. (Salt Lake City, Utah), November 23, 1911, Page 12 Contributed by Kim Torp


A crowd estimated at between 1000 and 1500 attended the Fort Peck Rodeo Company's exhibition in the Fred Lee pasture south of Richmond, Sunday.

The rodeo was reported by those in attendance to be a very creditable performance. The Missourian, month and day unknown, 1927

© 2007 - 2015

Ray Co Mo Genealogy and History