Saline County, Missouri
Part of the Genealogy Trails History Group
JOSEPH McKIM BARKS
JOSEPH McKIM BARKS, editor of the Blackburn Record, is a young man who is making a success in the editorial field in this county. He is a man of ability, the son of a minister who is still doing efficient work in his chosen line. Mr. Barks was born in Benton County, Mo., February 18, 1860. His father, Joseph V. Barks, is a native of Delaware County, Ohio, where he was born September 17, 1817. His grandfather, Solomon Barks, was a Pennsylvanian by birth, while his great-grandfather was a native of Germany. The grandfather emigrated to Ohio, where he died.
The Rev. Joseph V. Barks is a graduate of Mariatta (Ohio) College, and taught school for the purpose of earning means to defray his expenses through college. He took up theological studies in Lane Seminary, completed his theological education in Massachusetts, and entered the ministry in 1848, being an Old-school Presbyterian.
In October, 1849, Rev. Mr. Barks married and came to Warsaw, Benton County, this State, where he began his work as a minister. He has always preached in Missouri, has filled many pulpits, and is still engaged in his chosen work. His wife was Miss Diana Bancroft, of Granville, Licking County, Ohio, and her parents were members of a colony which came from Granville, Mass., in the early days and settled in Ohio. Her father was a soldier in the War of 1812, and became a prominent man of Licking County, Ohio, being Associate Judge in that county for several years. He died in 1817, at the age of ninety-tow. Mrs. Barks’ mother is now in her seventy-third year.
Joseph McKim was the fourth of seven children, four of whom are living. He received his preliminary education in the common district schools, and afterward spent about two years in Westminster College, Fulton, Mo. He was reared on the farm, where he remained until he reached his majority, and for several years afterward, managing the estate for his father.
In 1889 Mr. Barks came to Blackburn and associated himself with L. G. King, establishing the Blackburn Record. Six months later, he purchased Mr. King's interest, and since then has conducted the work alone. The paper is a seven-column folio, and is Democratic in politics. It follows that Mr. Barks is a Democrat, and, as we have said,he is a man of ability, and gives promise of still greater power. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, being a Ruling Elder. Beside his editorial work on the Record, Mr. Barks is associated with Dr. Thomas M. Bridges in the publication of the Corder Gazette.
The editorial pen is a power in the country, and if wielded aright may be a means of great good and advancement. It has given to posterity the beliefs of some of our strongest and clearest minds, and is destined in the future to shape, to a large extent, the character of the masses. With this in mind, it behooves every controller of a paper to see that its pages are of benefit to the readers of them, and Mr. Barks’ friends are confident that such is and will always be his aim.
["Portrait and biographical record of Lafayette and Saline Counties, Missouri : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the presidents of the United States". Chicago: Chapman Bros., 1893, 648 pgs. (Page 121) Submitted by Lisa - 2009
REV. DEWITT CLINTON BOLTON
Religious Activity in Missouri 1874-1914
Rev. G. W. Hatcher, D. D.
On June 17, 1846, there was born to Dr. Thomas L. Bolton and wife (nee Cassandra Glover), in Cole County, Missouri, a son to whom they gave the name De Witt Clinton. For eight years after this event his father continued to reside in Cole County. When five years of age, this boy lost his mother. When he was eight years old his father moved to Lexington, in Lafayette County, where he lived until his death, many years after.
When De Witt was ten years old his father married again, and when he died, he left two sets of children – three boys by his first wife, one girl and three boys by his last wife.
In 1864 De Witt was converted and baptized by Rev. J. W. Warder, in Lexington. If a faithful, consistent life is an evidence of genuine conversion, this boy was converted at that time. There was no backsliding, letting go and taking hold in his life, but an upward, downward, outward growth of that which was then given him.
He went to a private school in Lexington after his conversion, and then to Westminster at Fulton, and then to William Jewell College.
The “Call to the Ministry” had gripped him, and to this he was looking, and into this he was being led, and for this he was equipping himself while in school.
In 1874, ten years after his conversion, he was ordained at Lexington. The Presbytery on the occasion was composed of Rev. Edward Roth, Rev. Geo. W. Smith and Dr. Henry Talbird, with representatives from the Second Baptist Church at Lexington.
The first service rendered as a minister was given to the work of the Missouri Baptist Sunday School Convention as Secretary. In this department he did faithful and conscientious service for one year, and then accepted the care of Fairville Church in Saline County. This was a young, vigorous church. Just the field for a young, promising preacher. He was cultivating almost virgin soil, he being the second pastor that this church had called. His work there was well done. He gripped the people in such a manner as enabled him to “come back,” for after a short sojourn at Lamar, in Barton County, he was recalled at Fairville, and served them as faithfully as he had served during his first term.
One the 17th day of November, 1881, he was married to Miss Lena Graves of Saline County, near Fairville. Time revealed the fact that he made no mistake in selecting this woman to be his future companion, for she was suitable, congenial, helpful in all places at all times and in all things.
From Saline County he moved to Carroll County and became pastor of some country churches; among them was Wakonda, Bethlehem, Morton and McCrookins Creek. Among these people he moved as genial, warm, pure sunlight – a blessing to every home into which he went, and a friend to every person he met. He was fully identified with the work in the entire county, as his interest in and attendance at all the 5th Sunday meetings proved. His presence on these occasions was hailed with delight – and his absence was sorrowfully noted.
From the country churches he was called to Norborne Church in Carroll County, where he made good as preacher, teacher and man. In this town, as in every town, there was “lots” of devil. Sometimes he got into the church, but he always met his foe in De Witt Bolton. His pastorate at Norborne was a blessing to the church and community. The purity of his life; the Scripturalness of his preaching; his firm, yet gentle, course, gave him him the confidence and sympathy of the community, which he used in lifting the cause of Christ to a higher plane.
From Norborne he moved to Marshall, and took up country work again, serving Mt. Leonard, Napton, Nelson, and possibly others. He was then called to Miami, where he served for five years. During these five years he so lived among the people to whom he preached, as to give them an object lesson in practical religion. He was a “living epistle,” which the humblest as well as the greatest could read and understand.
After his sojourn in Miami, he moved back to Marshall, which was his last more, for he lived there until his death.
During this second residence in Marshall he was recalled to Mt. Leonard, where he served for thirteen years, his longest pastorate, and the longest in the history of the church. He was also pastor at Grand Pass and at Antioch, resigning the latter a short time before his death. When called home, he was working in the interests of the “Home for Aged Baptists,” at Ironton, Missouri, in addition to his work as pastor.
On Tuesday night, April 14, 1914, about 11 o’clock, after a very brief illness, this servant of God, was called to his rest and reward. He died in Marshall, Missouri, where he had lived so long, and among the many friends he had made and kept. His funeral was preached by the writer of this sketch, who had known him, loved him and worked with him for nearly forty years. His burial was largely attended by men, women and children, representing all ranks and conditions of town, village and country people; showing the extent to which he had embedded himself in the confidence and affection of all who appreciate true merit and noble, Christlike manhood.
He left a large family. He was the father of nine children, seven of whom, with the mother, survive him. To these he has left an untarnished name and an example worthy the imitation of all.
Rising above the plane of his every day uniformly consistent life were mountain peaks that were attractive. As a preacher, his strong points were not eloquence, oratory or fireworks. What he lacked in these, if it be a lack, was more than compensated in his clear analysis and logical presentation of the truth. It was impossible for him to sermonize without analysis, as it would be to make a stalwart human body without bones.
As a man, he was true to what he conceived to be right. For it, he contended, and with it, he stayed, regardless of consequences. In extending to others the right to think and act for themselves, he never surrendered his right to exercise the same privilege.
He was a clean, pure man. In thought, speech and action he was as pure, as innocent and as guileless as a child. This virtue often exposed him to the friendly jokes of his brethren.
As a “resident minister” he was a help to church and pastor, and never a hindrance. He was always at the mid-week prayer-meeting when at home, ready to assist in every possible way.
His influence was known and felt in the Baptist ranks in County and State. For sixteen years he was Clerk of Saline Association, and no man in that position ever filled it more faithfully or more efficiently.
Just what this gentle, pure, consecrated life of 66 years accomplished in good can only be revealed in eternity, for while he rests from his labors, his work will follow him, accumulating in depth and power as the years roll on.
ADDED BY J. C. M –
In preparing the sketch of the life of Rev. D. C. Bolton, Dr. Hatcher, solely because of a lapse of memory at the time of writing, failed to mention the History of the Baptist Churches of the Saline Association.
This history is not only proof of the love of his own people on the part of the author, but also an evidence of the great industry that was characteristic of his life. By careful research he collected all the facts from personal interviews, church records and minutes of the Associational gatherings, and then wrote them in his own matter of fact style. It may be possible for some one in future to find additional truths bearing upon the history of these churches, but such facts must come from some source that was not within the reach of D. C. Bolton. This history is thoroughly reliable. The writing consumed much time, but the labor of gathering the data required much more exertion, but it was all done from motives of love. He sought no other reward than that which comes to the heart of one who seeks to preserve the memory of those who serve the Lord, and the Lord’s people, and by recording the story of their unselfish toils give incentive to others to follow the example thus nobly set.
Mr. Bolton’s life was an open book. See the years of his residence in Marshall; he so lived that his daily walk proclaimed that the Christ lived in him and that he lived in the Christ.
There was no service that he could render to aid the pastor and hedp the church when there was no pastor, that he did not readily perform.
He was truly a good man, an able expositor of the Scriptures, with no question as to his faithful adherence to the teachings of the Baptists, and yet never an un-Christian thrust at any people who served the Lord and yet differed from him in their understanding of the inspired Word.
His life and preaching showed how one can be faithful to the truth and yet not offensive to other good people.
(Source: "Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society" by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) transcribed by Mary Saggio)
REV. THOMAS ANDERSON BOWMAN
Religious Activity in Missouri 1871-1915
J. C. M.
It has fallen to my lot to write of many good and useful men, of whom I had by personal contact no knowledge. Had, therefore, to write upon the basis of facts furnished by others. This was in no sense less reliable than the truths that come to my knowledge concerning the life-work of those with whom there had been personal and intimate association upon the many and varied fields of labor that fall to the lot of every gospel preacher that gives his whole life to the work that opens up before him.
T. A. Bowman was one of the faithful who never seemed to claim the right to select the place of the work that he should do in the Lord’s vineyard. Whenever and wherever a door was opened to him he went in, and with all his strength labored diligently until called to another task. Even preachers do not always seem to realize that “both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.” We all want to be reapers, and often are too restless if our mission is to sow the gospel seed that another may reap the abundant harvest.
This is not written because there were not great results accompanying Brother Bowman’s labors. In one series of meetings he held in Marble Hill, there were about 100 conversions and additions to the church.
T. A. Bowman was the son of Benjamin and Sophia Bowman, and was the youngest of eleven children. He was born at what is now St. Albans, Kanawah County, West Virginia, though the two Virginias were one state then. The date of his birth was May 7th, 1850.
The family at a later date moved, and this time established a residence in Jackson, Cape Girardeau County, Missouri.
Here again the father was employed as a miller.
In 1861 the Civil War burst upon our country, and soon the hostile armies were marching across the State of Missouri. The mill in Jackson was burned, and Mr. Bowman, Sr., then took charge of the mill at Burfordville. This, too, was soon destroyed by fire.
A new location was now chosen farther up the Whitewater, which stream had furnished the power for the mill. Here he learned the carpenter’s trade, and thus provided a living for his family.
Benjamin Bowman and wife, when they came to Missouri, united by letter with the Bethel Church, and remained members until that church ceased to exist. They then united with Goshen Church.
This did not imply any change of sentiment on their part, as they had before this time become, at heart, in full sympathy with the effort to have the Gospel preached to all nations.
They remained in hearty co-operation with the activities of the church until the end of their lives. They were both good Christians, and earnestly prayed for the triumphs of Christianity.
At the age of 18 years, in a series of meetings held by Rev. James Reid and Rev. J. P. Bridwell, T. A. Bowman was converted, and by Rev. Jas. Reid was baptized into the fellowship of the Goshen Baptist Church. This church was located some two miles from the present town of Oak Ridge. For many years it was one of the most vigorous churches in the Cape Girardeau Associations.
In later years, the membership having become greatly depleted by removals and death, the church disbanded, and the few members left joined with others and formed the Oak Ridge Church, which body still continues to hold regular services, and now worships in an elegant and modern house dedicated to the Lord’s services.
In January, 1871, the Goshen Church licensed the youth to preach the gospel. The next fall he entered William Jewell College. He is said to have been the first student from southeast Missouri to enter this institution, that now has become one of the great colleges of the Mississippi Valley.
There were then only about 150 students enrolled, and fifty of these were preparing to preach the gospel. Since that date there have been enrolled, at a single session full 500 students, and at times over 200 of these had the Gospel ministry in view.
After two years of faithful study in the college, his means having become exhausted, he taught one year at Orrick, a small town in Ray County, Missouri.
The father of T. A. Bowman, having died, and he being the youngest child, returned to his mother, who was left alone.
It was not long after this that the New Bethel Church of Cape Girardeau County called him to become pastor, and June 14th, 1873, he was ordained to the full work of the ministry, and accepted this pastorate.
Having now entered fully into his life work of preaching the Gospel, he was, on the 21st day of October, 1873, married to Miss Sarah Emma Ghotson, who was to him a most faithful helper throughout his more than forty years as pastor, Missionary, field editor of the Central Baptist, and superintendent of the Baptist Orphans’ Home.
Six children were born to them, two of whom survive – John J., who is cashier of the People’s Bank at Bonne Terre, Missouri, and Thomas D., who is American consul at Fernie, British Columbia.
The others were Connie Irene, who died in 1891 at the age of 14; Myrta May, who died in 1898 at the age of 19; Bessie Beulah, who married J. W. Alexander and died in 1912 at the age or 30, and Orren Clyde, who died in infancy.
The widow also survives her husband. Her faith in Him who is the widow’s God, will sustain her until she is called to join the members of her own family in the presence of Him whose love and power never fail those who believe.
For more than forty years Mr. Bowman continued to preach the Gospel. His work was varied. Sometimes he was pastor of one local church, as when he was stationed at Salem, Steelville, Slater, and at other places. And always he preached the gospel of the Lord Jesus with all the earnestness, and with unwavering faith, that this is God’s message to men, and this alone is the “power of God unto salvation to every one that believes.”
T. A. Bowman and wife made most diligent effort to give their children all possible mental and moral training.
The older of the two surviving sons graduated from William Jewell College in the class of 1897. The thorough training he received has enabled him to gain and hold the responsible position he now fills as cashier of the People’s Bank at Bonne Terre, Missouri.
The other son graduated from the same college in 1907, and is now American consul at Fernie, British Columbia.
The inheritance thus left to the two sons is of greater value than merely great worldly possessions. They have such mental culture that prominence is very becoming to them, and the richest of all inheritances, the record of a good, Christian life on the part of a noble father.
More than once Mr. Bowman turned aside from regular pastoral work, and labored in the general denominational enterprises of the State.
He was employed by the Board of State Missions, and preached to weak churches and in destitute regions, and solicited funds for other parts where Missionaries were stationed. He was also Missionary for more than one District Association, which led him to investigate the needs of many localities, where help should be given to make the cause self-sustaining. For several years he was field editor of the Central Baptist.
The writer of this sketch of the life of this faithful man of God was once in the editorial office of the Central Baptist, and asked the editor if he read every communication that came to the paper before handing it to the printers for insertion in that journal. He said, yes, except in cases like the letters from T. A. Bowman, who is canvassing the churches. We know his letters are all right and do not feel it necessary to read them before they are printed. This is written to show how his wisdom was appreciated, and how unlimited was the confidence with which those who knew him best trusted his acts and the products of his pen.
We can here merely mention the names, which point out the locations of the many churches that were blessed by his faithful services. He was pastor at Jackson, Salem, Steelville, Pacific, Slater, Fredericktown, Chaffee, Corder, Owensville and Belle. Besides these, he served a number of churches in the country, of which the names or localities cannot be here stated. His services as representative of the Board of State Missions and Sunday Schools has been mentioned above, and also his work as field editor of the Central Baptist. For a few years he was superintendent of the Orphan’s Home.
The writer of this sketch of his life, once heard him pleading the cause of the Orphans. His whole heart was in the work. It was not done mechanically, or without zeal. While speaking of the needs of these poor children, who were left without father or mother to care for them, he could not control his own emotions, but with flowing tears and aching heart showed that their interests were to him the object of his own heart’s love.
He put his whole manhood into his work, and that manhood was tempered by the consciousness that Christianity seeks the best of God’s love for every human being.
At one time Mr. Bowman engaged in the newspaper business, and issued a weekly paper at Fredericktown, and then engaged in the same work for a short time at Sikeston. This was done because he could not be idle, and as writing was to him a means of doing good, and at this time also one way of supporting his family, it was easy for him to perform the duties of an editor.
But his heart was not in any secular employment, and therefore, he was soon in his “loved employ” of preaching the Gospel.
That he could have been a triumphant success in this field no one who knew his varied abilities could doubt. But it was a short departure from his life motto: “This one thing I do” – preach the Gospel – and so, as soon as a door opened to him he was again in the pulpit, and so continued to the end of his life.
From 1870 onward he attended almost every meeting of the General Association and was fully identified with all the work of the denomination in the State.
He was a life member of the General Association, of the Ministerial Aid Society and of the Orphans’ Home. He not only gave his time and energies, but also used his own earnings to advance the cause he loved.
He kept a complete record of all his work. He recorded the time, place and text of all his sermons.
According to this record, from 1873 to 1913, he preached more than 5,000 sermons, baptized 727 believers, married 180 couples, and received for his work $29,800. This made an average salary of $745 per year.
But, if from this we should subtract his marriage fees and the expense of travel in his work when preaching to more than one church, as he sometimes did, we can see that he and his wife must have been most careful economists to support a family, and, as they did, keep out of debt.
His last pastorate was at Bille, a town of about 600 population in Osage County.
Here, on the 16th day of March, 1915, he passed from earth to the kingdom of glory, after a short illness.
He was yet in his prime, being only 64 years, 10 months and 9 days of age.
His body was brought to Jackson, which had been his home in the days of his youth, and there, after the funeral services conducted by the pastor, Rev. F. W. Carnett, assisted by Rev. F. Y. Campbell and the writer of this sketch of his life, it was by loving hands placed in the grave.
After hearing the kind words spoken of him in the church, one man said to his son, J. J. Bowman, “I would rather have those things said about me that were said over his body today, than to be president of the United States.”
But every word spoken on that occasion was sincerely uttered. Those who spoke, knew him well for many years and meant every kind word that was spoken.
As an appropriate close of this brief sketch of his life, the following quotation is taken from a tribute written by his son, and printed in the Word and Way of April 1st, 1915:
With the closing of the year he resigned his last pastorate and expressed the belief that his work was about done. Though seriously ill only a few days, he said he was tired and wanted to rest. He knew he was going and was ready. After a night of suffering, as the morning sun was rising, “God’s finger touched him and he slept.” As a tired child falls asleep, his spirit entered into that new day of everlasting sunshine to meet his Master whom he has served so long and so faithfully. He crossed over the river and now rests under the shade of the trees.
And so we are proud that we can pay him this humble tribute, through our sorrow, for we know that he fought a good fight, he finished the course, he kept the faith, and that a crown was laid up for him. – John J. Bowman.
(Source: Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume Ill.; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) transcribed by Mary Saggio)
JOHN J. HAWKINS
JOHN J. HAWKINS, who is one of the best known, and considered one of the best informed and ablest attorneys in the state, came to Arizona in 1883. He is recognized as an authority on mining law, but his practice is general, and is the largest in Northern Arizona. He was born in Saline County, Mo., January 4, 1855, and is the son of George Scott and Frances Gauldin Hawkins. He was educated at William Jewell College and the University of Missouri, studied law with Honorable Thomas Shackleford, Glasgow, Mo., was admitted to the bar of that state in 1878, and there until 1883 he continued the practice of his profession. In the latter year he came to Arizona to make his home, and in the almost thirty years that Judge Hawkins has been a resident of the state he has made and maintained a record that is unexcelled. He was soon selected Judge of the Probate Court of Yavapai County, and has held numerous positions in the Territory, among them Territorial Auditor, member of Council in the Legislative Assembly, and Justice of the Supreme Court. He has also been President of the Arizona Bar Association and Northern Arizona Bar Association ; member of the General Council of the American Bar Association, and is now Vice President of the American Bar Association for Arizona, and was delegate to the Universal Congress of Lawyers and Jurists, at St. Louis, in 1904. Judge Hawkins is a member of the P. E. Church and an earnest worker in its behalf, being Chancellor of the Missionary District of Arizona, and on two occasions has been Lay Delegate to the General Convention. He is a member of the National Geographic Society, the American Academy of Political and Social Science and of the Chamber of Commerce at Prescott ; is a prominent Mason, belonging to both the Mystic Shrine and Knights Templar, as well as to the Yavapai Club and the California Club. He was married May 5, 1885, to Miss Olive Birch, of Glasgow, Mo. [Source: "Who's Who in Arizona" Volume 1 1913 Compiled and Published by Jo Connors. Submitted by Barb Z]
SAMUEL McCLELLAND FAMILY
Samuel McClelland was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, in 1818 of Scotch-Irish parents. In 1840 he went to Holmes county, Ohio, to farm land that his father had purchased from the government. In 1843 he married Nancy Moorhead, a distant cousin, also of Westmoreland county.
During the Civil War he was an active worker in the Republican party and was a member of the Underground Railroad in Ohio. Often his children would come down to breakfast and find their mother feding Negroes in the kitchen. The Negroes slept in a tenant house during the day and at night were taken in tightly curtained carriages to the next station.
Mr. McClelland grew tired of farming around stumps in Ohio and decided to move to Missouri, where others from his area were settling. He moved to Saline county in 1867 and bought a farm in the Salt Springs community. He brought his household goods, farm tools and livestock to Miami by boat.
There was a Catholic school building on the farm he bought. The family lived in it until 1875, when it was torn down and the good walnut lumber of which it was built was used to build a comfortable 6-room house which is still in a good state of preservation and is being used at this time, (1964). After arriving at the new home, he set out a grove of walnut trees and a [page 308] row of soft maples. A number of those trees are still standing.
There were three good fresh water springs on his land. He made several ponds on about ten acres and arranged a system whereby his springs fed all the ponds, which were stocked with German carp. The ponds were quite a novelty and were a great attraction to the public. When the fish were large enough the ponds would be systematically drained and the carp offered for sale. The boys of the community were invited to go into the drained ponds and catch the other kinds of fish by hand for their own use. They can testify to a number of catfish stings received while participating in this sport. The fish-raising venture did not prove to be a money making business and after a few years it was given up.
Mr. McClellland raised good saddle horses. He was one of the first men to build barbed wire fence in the community and as a consequence his fellow church members threatened to put him out of the church.
He was a man of original wit, liked to read and was an active member of the Methodist church. He was interested in politics and in 1884 was a candidate on the Republican ticket for state representative, but was not elected. He died in 1886 and his wife died in 1876. Both are buried in the Salt Springs cemetery. Their children were Mary, James, William, Emma, and Craig, all born in Holmes county, Ohio.
Mary (1884-1925) was graduated by Baldwin College at Berea, O., majoring in foreign languages. She taught her first school in the Salt Springs community, also taught at Malta Bend and in a ladies’ seminary at Glasgow. She married Jesse P. Fulkerson in 1876. More details of this family are found in the biography of the Fulkerson family in the History of the Salt Springs community.
James (1846-1928) attended Baldwin College at Berea and served in the Ohio Militia. After coming to Missouri, he married Florence Houston and they were the parents of seven children, six of them born in Saline county. In 1889 he moved to Fullerton, Nebr., hoping to find relief from malaria. In 1901 he returned to Missouri and until moving to Olathe, Kans., in 1909 he farmed at Warsaw. He and his wife are buried in the Olathe cemetery and two of his daughters, Belle and Alice, live at Olathe. Other children in the family were Samuel Houston, James Dexter, Nancy Ellen, Elizabeth and Esther.
Houston (1877-1952) farmed and died at Wilmar, Ark., leaving no chilcren.
Dexter ( 1878-1941) did irrigation farming and developed oil fields in the vicinity of Carlsbad, N. M.
Nancy (1880-1905) is buried at Warsaw, Mo.,
Esther (1883-1960) did secretarial work and for a time was secretary for Vice President Curtis.
Elizabeth married W. S. Davis of Warsaw, Mo., who died in 1933. She lives at Stayton, Ore., and her children are John Dexter, Joseph Houston, Mrs. Florence Lewisohn and Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Peters.
Belle remained at home and managed family business affairs.
Alice taught school and served three terms as the county superintendent of schools at Olathe, Kansas, and later taught in a teachers’ college in North Dakota.
William McClelland (1848-1917) a son of Samuel, never married. He farmed in the Salt Springs community for a long time. He moved to Oklahoma, where he continued to farm. He was a philanthropist and was credited with helping many a young man over rough places in getting an education or a start in business.
Emma McClelland (1851-1915) a daughter of Samuel, married Alexander Miller and they farmed for a time in the Salt Springs community, later moving to Cresbard, S. D., where he farmed and raised Percheron horses which were shown at fairs in the United States and abroad. Their children were John Lambert, Samuel Harold, Sarah Frances and Edna, all deceased, and Hugh of Simi, Calif., and James, who farms near Cresbard.
Craig McClelland (1861-1913) was a mining engineer and explorer. He operated extensively in Mexico and is buried at Durango, Mexico. [SOURCE: "History of Saline County Missouri". Marceline, MO: Walsworth Publishing Co., 1967. Pp 307-308 - Sub. by Alice McClelland]
BERNARD V. MEAD.
A railroad engineer's life is so attended with danger that one needs to have a remarkably sunny and sanguine temperament to be happy and at ease in tilling such a position. Our subject is an ideal member of the brotherhood. He is a clever man and a genial, good-natured companion. As a teller of stories, either in the family, where, by the way, he is most delightful, or on the road, he is quite unapproachable. Located at Slater, Saline County, Mo., Mr. Mead is the engineer of a passenger train on the Chicago & Alton Railroad, running from Kansas City, to Roodhouse.
Our subject was born in Birmingham, Erie County, Ohio, September 13, 1840, a son of Dr. Alrie B. and Salle (Warner) Mead. His father was a native of Hartford, Conn., as. was also his grandfather, who was a manufacturer of iron, having a furnace and foundry. Mr. Mead traces his ancestry back to his Puritan fathers of English origin. His father graduated as a physician a Hartford, Conn., and on removing to Ohio, studied two years at Oberlin College. He began practice at Birmingham, Ohio, but in 1844 located at Twelve-Mile Grove, Ill.., near Wilton Center. In connection with his profession as a physician, he carried on fanning, being the owner of one hundred and twenty acres of good land. In 1847, he removed to Joliet, Ill.., where he practiced until November, 1879, at which date his decease occurred. He was a prominent man and a highly esteemed physician. He served as County Coroner for many years and also as County Physician.
Our subject's mother was born in Vermont, near Montpelier, and was a daughter of Alfred Warner, a farmer in the Green Mountain State, who early settled in Ohio. His daughter Sallie graduated from a college in Virginia and was engaged as a teacher. She still survives and makes her residence at Morris, Ill. Of her six children our subject is the second in order of birth. The others are: Flavius J., who is in the furniture business at Georgetown, Colo.; Solon S., who resides in Indianapolis; Melville, who is in charge of the library at Joliet; Amanda, who is now Mrs. Bowers and lives at Hennepin, Ill.; and Theresa, who is Mrs. Field, of Morris, Ill.
Our subject was but four years old when taken by his parents to Illinois. The journey was made with team and they located at Twelve-Mile Grove. After a residence of seven years there, they removed to Joliet, and in that early day Mr. Mead shot more than one deer, beside other game. He attended the public and High Schools at Joliet, and his ambition to get on in the world found vent by working on the neighboring farms, for which labor he received from $7 to $14 per month. He later purchased a threshing-machine and a span of horses, and did a good business with this outfit.
Upon the breaking out of the war, our subject enlisted in Company A, of the Fourth Illinois Cavalry, in August, 1861. He was mustered in at Ottawa, at Camp Hunter, and marching to Centralia took the Main for Cairo. He participated in the battles of Belmont and Ft. Henry, and in March, 1862, was in the six days' siege at Donelson. He was also a participant in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth, luka, Holly Springs and Coffeeville. He was then sent to Louisiana and joined the camp at Millikan's Bend, where he was detailed to scout duty and engaged in several skirmishes. On returning to Illinois, he was dispatched to the front, and took part in the siege of Vicksburg, also in the battles of Grand Gulf, Point Gibson, Raymond, Jackson (Miss.), Champion Hill, Black River, and in the forty-seven days' siege at Vicksburg. He then accompanied Gen. Custer on the Red River expedition, and was taken sick at Alexandria, La. After convalescing in hospital, he went to Galveston in 1865, and during the furlough home which was granted him, received his discharge by general order. He was made Orderly-Sergeant, and while lying sick at Galveston received his commission as Second Lieutenant. His terra of service extended from August, 1861, to April, 1866. Naturally, our subject had many adventures and escapades that would be interesting reading could they be here given.
For a time after the close of the war, Mr. Mead was very ill, and on recovering was placed in charge of the cooper shop and chair factory in the penitentiary at Joliet. While there one hundred and fifty-eight convicts were working under him. His shop was an extensive place and his responsibility was great. On one occasion, he discovered a plot laid by the prisoners for the escape of all. March 7, 1867, Mr. Mead was offered a position on the Chicago A Alton Railroad by John A. Mitchell, the President. The position was that of a fireman out of Joliet. In 1869, he took charge of engine No. 12 and continued to run on that until October, 1871, when he came to Missouri. He ran a construction engine at the time of laying the track between Mexico and Cedar City. He then engineered a passenger train for five years, and in the full of 1877 ran engine No. 165 on the Kansas City Division.
In 1879. our subject encountered a broken rail, which whirled his engine around, heading it the other way. The expressman was killed and our subject received twenty-seven cuts on his body. On recovering from his two months' sickness after this catastrophe, he was given charge of No. 188, while since 1886 he has run engine No. 222. Mr. Mead has laid up a comfortable sum out of his earnings, and owns some valuable real estate in Kansas City, beside a residence in Slater that makes a comfortable and pleasant home for his family. He was married in Joliet, October 16, 1867, to Miss Mettie A. Campbell, who was born in Quincy, Branch County, Mich. Her father, Thomas Campbell, was a native of Schenectady, N.Y., and was a farmer in Michigan. He now resides with our subject. Mr. and Mrs. Mead became parents of three children, whose names are Fred E., Louisa and Adell. The eldest is a foreman on the Chicago & Alton Railroad. The elder daughter died at the age of nineteen, at Coldwater, Mich. The younger daughter, Adell. is at home.
Our subject belongs to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, being a Chief. He was a delegate to the National Convention in 1885, and to that held in Chicago in 1887. He is the General Chairman of the Brotherhood Adjusting Committee on the Chicago & Alton Railroad. He belongs to the Free & Accepted Masons and also to the Royal Arch Masons, and to the Missouri Commandery No. 36, of Knights Templar, Marshall, Mo. In politics, Mr. Mead is a Democrat.
Mr. and Mrs. Mead celebrated their silver wedding on Tuesday, October 18,1892 (their anniversary falling on October 16, it being Sunday), when they were the recipients of many costly presents from their friends. [Source: "Portrait and biographical record of Lafayette and Saline Counties, Missouri : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the presidents of the United States". Chicago: Chapman Bros., 1893, Page 168 - 169 submitted by Lisa]
PITMAN, J. H.
Local Boy Makes Good
Driving a shiny new surrey drawn by an equally shiny span of matched bays, Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Pitman came to Hereford from Amarillo in November of 1906. They had come to Amarillo earlier in the year and had brought a home on Harrison Street there. He was in the real estate business there and continued in the same business here. In his later years he lived to read the court house records reported on the local paper and muse over the times he had sold certain tracts.
J. H. Pitman was born at Winchester, Va., April 8, 1869. Minnie Eloise Miller was born in Saline County, Mo., on July 27, 1867. They were married at her home on Feb. 20, 1896 and made their home in Saline County for the first 10 years of their marriage.
Moving with them to Amarillo were their three sons, Jonathan (April 24, 1897), Mac (Nov. 25, 1898), and W. C. (Nov. 17, 1900), and Mrs. Pitman's sister, Miss Anna Miller (Auntie) who made her home with them. A daughter, Eloyse, was born in Amarillo on May 18, 1906.
The Pitman's first home in Hereford was on Twenty-Five Mile Avenue. Some two years later he built a home at 801 E. Third St., where the elder Pitmans lived for the rest of their lives. Eloyse (Mrs. Don S. Taylor of Amarillo) still re-tells a story she heard told many times as she grew up in Hereford, where ladies were ladies, even in the early 1900's.
The barn at the new home on Third was completed before the house, and since he house on the Avenue had been sold, the family moved into the barn for two or three weeks.
"Mother and Auntie were invited to a reception at Mrs. George Barker's, not too far from our house. Though we had a horse and buggy, word was sent to the livery stable for a cab to call for them. It always struck me as hilarious to be so fancy when you were living in a barn, but that was my mother!" Mrs Taylor wrote.
Inheriting the business acumen of their parents, all four of the Pitman children became business leaders as Hereford developed. J .A. and J. M. were co-owners of Pitman Grain Company, which at one time was the largest non-terminal elevator in the world. Beginning in 1930 with the purchase of the Harrison Elevator, their concrete elevator plant became a land-mark in Hereford. W. C. (Dub) owned and operated a filling station on South Main in Hereford. Eloyse taught in the Hereford Public Schools for many years before her marriage.
Jonathan (J. A.) Pitman married Douglas Wilson. Their son, John Douglas, and his wife and four children live in Hereford. Their daughter, Mrs. J. A. McWhorter, with her husband and three children live in Dallas, Tex. Mac never married, and W. C. married Eva Skelton; they had no children. The Don Taylors have no children.
(A History of Deaf Smith County, by Bessie Patterson, 1964 ; transcribed by Susan Geist)
J. HERBERT SMITH, Surgeon in charge, Tulsa Hospital. This is one of the very best Hospitals in the Southwest, made so by the many changes since the new management took charge under Dr. Smith. A new addition is planned which will make 100 thoroughly modern bedrooms, the largest hospital in the state. Dr. Smith was born in Napton, Saline county. Mo., January 6, 1864, son of James Monroe and Mary Ann (Adkinson) Smith. Was educated in advanced country schools and received M. D. degree from Washington University, St. Louis, 1887; was seven years professor of gynecology in medical department Kansas University and professor of gynecology and secretary of the post graduate course Kansas City Medical School; was ten years assistant medical director the Brotherhood of American Yeomen, Des Moines, Iowa. (Source: "Men of Affairs and Representative Institutions of Oklahoma" 1916. Submitted by Vicki Hartman)