Scott County Missouri
JULIUS ALBRECHT, a prominent farmer of Kelso Township, Scott Co., Mo., was born in Hesse-Cassel, Germany in 1843. His parents, George and Mary (Mogge) Albrecht, were born and reared in a village near the birthplace of Julius. The father was born in 1803 and the mother in 1807. George Albrecht was a baker by trade, which he followed until 1850, when he with his family came to the United States. On June 1 they landed in Baltimore, from whence they went to Greene County, Ohio, whee they remained four years engaged in agricultural pursuits, after which they went to Iowa. Soon after they came down the Mississippi River to Southeast Missouri, and located in Scott County. There George Albrecht purchased a farm lying near the river. This was in the spring of 1855, and he remained there until his death in 1866. His widow survived until 1877. They had five children--four boys and one girl--all dead but the subject of this sketch. Louisa was married and died leaving three children, two of whom are living. Soon after the death of his parents Julius began work for himself. During the Civil War he served in the State Militia, and after the war was over resumed work on the farm. He first married Catherine Roth, a native of Germany. She died, having borne an infant that died soon after its birth. On September 5, 1872, Mr. Albrecht was united in marriage with Eva B. Eifert, a native of Germany, who came with her parents to America in 1854, when she was but three years of age. By this union Mr. Albrecht has seven children: Anna, Julia, Eliza, John, Mary, Amelia and Lewis. In religious faith the family are Lutherans, of which church Mr. Albrecht has been a member since a child, has been treasurer and trustee for two years, and has also served as elder for two years. He is a self-made man, and has liberal education, being well informed on all general topics. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 914.]
James M. Allen
REV. JAMES M. ALLEN was born in New Madrid County, Mo., January 16, 1851, and is a son of David C. and Angeline (Strong) Allen, the former a native of Louisiana and the latter of Tennessee. The parents came to Missouri at an early day, and entered land in Scott County, which, after a few years, they sold, and removed to New Madrid County, locating near Sikeston. They resided there until Mr. Allen's death, in 1856. He was the father of five children: James M., Samuel M., Martha (Mrs. J. B. Burton), Cyrus J. (deceased) and Benjamin (deceased). Mrs. Allen was married three times, and had children by each husband. She died in August 1885. Rev. James M. Allen has always been engaged in farming, but in 1887 he engaged in the mercantile business, which he still manages in connection with farming. In 1882 he began studying for the ministry and was ordained a minister in the Missionary Baptist Church in 1885. He has since been preaching the gospel at different points, and has been instrumental in building several churches in Southeast Missouri. Although he has been preaching but a short time he has done much good for the cause of religion. In 1870 he was united in marriage with Sarah E. Holmes, by whom he had four children, one of whom is living: William D. His wife died in 1878 and he was again married in 1879, choosing for his second wife Maggie Martin. This union has been blessed by two children (twins), one of whom, George M., is living. The one deceased is Samuel. Mrs. Martin had five children by a former marriage: Katie (deceased), Lila, Bettie, Alvan and Thomas. Mr. Allen is a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the Agricultural Wheel. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 915.]
James B. Ancell
JAMES B. ANCELL, a substantial farmer residing on a fine hill-farm of 240 acres, near Kelso, Mo., was born in Kentucky in 1813. He is the son of Henry and Nancy (Beesley) Ancell, who were born and reared in Virginia. Several years after his marriage Henry Ancell removed his family in wagons to Kentucky, where he resided working at the brickmason's trade, until his death, which occurred when the subject of this sketch was a small boy. Besides the latter, there were six children: Washington, Thornton, Pascal E., John, Henry and Harriet, all of whom are dead. James B. came to Southeast Missouri in 1830 from Todd County, Ky., and located on land which he entered from the government near his present home. He afterward entered the farm on which he now resides. Here his mother died in 1856. In 1859 he married Frances Adaline Clark, a native of Cape Girardeau County, born in 1825 and a daughter of John and Sarah Clark , natives of Kentucky, who came to Missouri before their marriage and located in Cape Girardeau County. After their marriage they still remained in Cape Girardeau County, and reared a large family, consisting of ten girls and one boy. The girls all lived to maturity and married. Mr. and Mrs. Ancell are the parents of five children: Emma (wife of Walter Goddard), Sarah M. (wife of S. McFerron), Mary J. (at home), James P. and Mattie J. (both also at home). Mr. Ancell, his wife and two children are devoted members of the Baptist Church. Emma belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church South. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 915.]
John Harvey Ancell
JOHN HARVEY ANCELL, a farmer of Kelso Township, Scott Co., Mo., was born where he now resides in 1835, and is a son of Thornton W. and Elvira (Wright) Ancell, natives of Virginia. They were married in Kentucky, where they resided until about 1830, when they came to Missouri and located in Cape Girardeau County. Remaining there one year they removed to Scott County and located on a farm near the Rock Church, in Kelso Township, where they died, the father in April 1887, aged eighty-two years and the mother sometime previously. To them were born eight children--four boys and four girls--of whom four are living: Thornton A., Parthenia (wife of James Powell), Mildred (wife of John McKinley, residing on a part of the Ancell homestead) and James (sic-John) Harvey. Those dead are: Leander, John, Georgia Ann and Nancy. Georgia Ann was the wife of Edward Joyce, of Cape Girardeau. Thornton W. Ancell first married a Miss Williams, who died previous to his second marriage. James (sic-John) H. Ancell remained with his parents until 1868, when he was united in marriage with Mrs. Emeline (Baldwin) Wiley, the widow of Wilson Wiley, by whom she has two children: Edward and Albert, living near Commerce and Sikeston, respectively. Mrs. Ancell was born in July 1835. Her first husband died in 1862. Mr. and Mrs. Ancell are the parents of four children: Mary E. (who lives with her step-brother near Commerce), Naomi, Ada and Alice. Mr. Ancell is a successful farmer, and also a member of the Wheel. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 915-916.]
ARNOLD, Marshall, a Representative from Missouri; born at Cook Settlement, near Farmington, St. Francois County, Mo., October 21, 1845; attended the common schools; professor at Arcadia College in 1870 and 1871; deputy clerk of the circuit, county, and probate courts of St. Francois County, Mo.; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1872 and commenced practice in Commerce, Scott County, Mo.; prosecuting attorney of Scott County 1873-1876; member of the State house of representatives 1877-1879; elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-second and Fifty-third Congresses (March 4, 1891-March 3, 1895); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1894 to the Fifty-fourth Congress; resumed the practice of law in Benton, Scott County, Mo., and died there June 12, 1913; interment in Benton Cemetery. [Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present]
William S. Babb
WILLIAM S. BABB, an intelligent and energetic young farmer of Scott County, was born in West Tennessee, January 24, 1852. He is a son of Thomas and Emily (Davis) Babb, both of whom were natives of Tennessee. The family immigrated to Kentucky at an early day, and located at Hickman, where the father died. The mother still lives in Kentucky. They were the parents of nine children, six of whom, James L., William S., Martha, Henry, Charles and Mary, are living. William S. was reared to farm life, and received a liberal education in his own district. He remained with his parents in Kentucky, until 1881, when he came to Missouri. After remaining in Mississippi County one year, he went back to Kentucky. In 1884 he made a permanent settlement in Scott County, Mo. He then purchased the farm he now owns and occupies. He has chosen farming as a life vocation, and bids fair to become one of the first farmers in the county. In 1885 he was united in marriage with Ida Holmes, by whom he has one child, Clarence. Mr. Babb is a member of the I. O. O. F. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 916.]
WILLIAM BALLENTINE, a prominent citizen of Scott County, Mo., was born in Scotland in 1826. He is a son of James and Elizabeth (Stoddard) Ballentine, both of whom lived and died in Scotland. His mother dying when he was a child. William was reared by his grandfather until he was ten years of age, after which he lived on sheep-farms with Mrs. Carson and others, until he was fifteen years of age. He then served as an apprentice in a blacksmith shop for five years, after which he worked at his trade until he had saved money enough to pay his way to America. In 1847 he set sail for New York, and upon his arrival went to Middleton, Conn., where he remained two years working at his trade. It was about this time that the news of the excitement over the discovery of gold in California reached him, and he accordingly started west. Reaching Winnebago County, Ill., he worked at his trade until the next March (1850), when he with ten other men started across the plains with teams for the gold fields. They lost their wagon-load of supplies in Weber River, near Salt Lake, but were provided by other emigrants with crackers to eat until they reached Salt Lake City. Arriving in California, in August, Mr. Ballentine worked at his trade and in the mines until the fall of 1851, when he came to Commerce, Mo., via New Orleans. Locating in Commerce he worked at his trade five years. In 1853, on the 4th day of April, he was married to Nancy Pierre, a native of Humphreys County, Tenn., and resided in Commerce until the beginning of the Civil War, when he removed his family to Santa Fe, Ill. He returned to Missouri, and in 1862, under Gov. Gamble, was appointed clerk of Scott County Court, and served until January 1, 1867. In the same year, under Gov. Fletcher, he was appointed judge of the common pleas court. Soon after this court was abolished. Meantime Mr. Ballentine had read law and was admitted to the bar. In 1866 he entered the land on which he now resides. Since entering the land he has cleared and improved over 500 acres, nearly all swamp lands. Mrs. Ballentine died in 1884, leaving one child, Charles. She left four children, now dead, viz: Elizabeth, William, Nancy and Lucy. Lucy lived to be grown and was postmistress in Commerce for several years. He married the second time, choosing for his wife, Mrs. Emily (Brooks) Sewell. Mrs. Ballentine had three sons and five daughters by her first marriage, viz: Alice, Jane and Florence at the home of our subject; Josephine and Dora, married, and Frank, living near Commerce. Of the other two boys, one is dead. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 916-917]
William R. Batts
WILLIAM R. BATTS, an enterprising farmer and stock grower of Scott County, Mo., was born in Cheatham County, Tenn., August 13, 1851. The parents, Benjamin F. and Sarah Ann (Gupton) Batts, were born in Tennessee, the former on January 5, 1828, and the latter on February 1, 1832. They were reared and married in their native State, after which they engaged in farming. In 1866 they came to Southeast Missouri, but after four and one half years returned to Tennessee. However, they came back to Southeast Missouri in 1876, and located on land which they purchased near the farm of William R. Batts, on which they have since resided. To them were born thirteen children. Those living are: William R., Sarah (Mrs. H. H. Daugherty), Martha (Mrs. D. A. Potter), Nicholas C., John T., and Caledonia. Those dead are Mary F. (wife of I. E. Wilson), Robert (aged seven years) and Juda (aged ten years). William R. remained with his parents until he reached his majority, when he engaged in farming for himself, first in Stoddard County, and then in Tennessee, but in 1871 he came back to Missouri, and after working eighteen months in Dunklin County, returned to Tennessee. In 1875 he returned to Scott County and located on his present farm in Morley Township. He was elected justice of the peace of the township on November 15, 1886, and is clerk of his school district. He has been married twice; first February 7, 1878 to Julia A. Finley, who was born January 2, 1842, and died December 20, 1883. To them were born two children: Benjamin R. (born March 24, 1879) and John A. (born March 24, 1882). He next married Emma E. Jones, on January 15, 1885. She was a native of Kentucky, born March 5, 1869, and is a daughter of George W. L. and Sophronia I. (Potter) Jones. Her father died in July 1879 after which her mother and family came to Southeast Missouri in 1880, and located on a farm in Scott County. She is the mother of nine children: Lewis A., Marion A., Alice D., Ada A., Emma E., Ella M., Henry A. (deceased), Robert J. (deceased) and Charles H. (deceased). By this union Mr. Batts has two children: Industry (born October 15, 1885) and Marion (born April 2, 1887, died when three days old). Mrs. Batts is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He belongs to the I. O. O. F. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p917.]
Jesse R. Berry
JESSE R. BERRY, a substantial farmer of Scott County, is a native of that county, born on November 27, 1823. He is a son of Thomas and Sarah (Frend) Berry, natives of Kentucky and Scott County, Missouri, respectively. The paternal great-grandfather was born in Ireland, and married a French lady, after which he removed to France, but had to leave that country in order to hold his slaves. He and family soon after immigrated to the United States. The grandfather of our subject, Joseph Berry, died in Hopkins County, Ky. The Frend family emigrated from Switzerland to the United States to fight for Gen. Washington. After independence had been gained and peace restored, they removed west and landed at Cairo on June 4, 1801. They crossed the river and entered a Spanish claim, one mile square, now known as the Watkins farm. Here two or three generations lived and died. They were farmers and successful business men. Thomas Berry, the father of Jesse R. with his three brothers, Joseph, William and Reuben, served under Gen. Jackson in the War of 1812, and were in the battle of New Orleans. Thomas immigrated to Scott County, Mo., about 1815, and entered 120 acres of land near the Watkins farm. After erecting a little log house in the timber, he began clearing the land which he afterward converted into a good farm, upon which he lived until his death, about 1835. His wife died in 1858. They had six children, of whom Louisa, Jesse R. and Maria are living. Thomas J., Elmira and Richard are dead. Jesse R. has been a resident of Scott County during his life and has witnessed its growth from a wilderness to its present high state of cultivation. He has made farming his chief occupation, and now cultivates about 200 acres of land. He has been married twice, the first time in 1856 to Hannah Andrews, who died in 1861. In 1874 he married Julia A. Snyder, by whom he has five children: William M., Charles J., Virginia J., Sarah A. and Lysander. Mr. Berry is a Mason and a member of the Wheeler Society. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p917-918.]
Eliphalet L. Brown
ELIPHALET L. BROWN, one of the prominent citizens of Scott County, Mo. was born in Mississippi County, April 10, 1845. He is a son of Francis M. and Julia A. (Seaton) Brown. The subject of this sketch was reared on his father's farm in Mississippi County, and was mostly educated in the common schools. He attended one session at Christian Brothers' College, St. Louis. In 1872 he was married to Cleo P. Lane, by whom he has one child, E. Lindsay. Mrs. Brown died in 1877, and he was again married on June 17, 1878, choosing for his second wife S. Alice, a daughter of Amalphus and Mary A. (Hacker) Simonds. The former was a native of New York. Mrs. Simonds was born in Union County, Ill., and is a daughter of Capt. John S. Hacker, who settled in Union County, Ill., about 1810, and figured prominently in Southern Illinois during the remainder of his life. He spent thirty years in Jonesboro, where he erected the Pioneer Hotel. At the head of a company of ninety six men he served through the Mexican War, after which he made an overland trip to California. His wife, Eliza Miliken, whose father gave the name of Miliken Bend to a curve in the Mississippi River, died in 1853. Capt. Hacker then removed to Cairo, and died at Anna, Ill., in 1878, in his eighty-ninth year. Mr. and Mrs. Brown have one child, Amalphus S. On December 9, 1884, Mr. Brown removed to his present farm in Scott County. He owns 1,800 acres of land, 1,000 acres of which are under cultivation, with good improvements. He also owns what is known as Price's Landing, one of the oldest steamboat landings in Southeast Missouri. Mrs. Brown is a member of the Episcopal Church. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p918.]
Elisha F. Bryant
ELISHA F. BRYANT, resides on a fine farm of 600 acres, with about 200 acres under cultivation, in Morley Township, Scott County, Mo. He is a native of the county, born in 1855, and is a son of Joseph and Manthesous (Merritt) Bryant, natives of Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively. When a boy Joseph Bryant came from his native State to Southeast Missouri with his parents, Elisha and Margaret (Penn) Bryant. The family located on Little River and engaged in farming, where the parents died at a ripe old age. They had nine children, all of whom are now dead. Joseph Bryant was reared on his father's farm, and about 1846 settled on the farm where the subject of this sketch now resides. The former lived near until his death in 1861. His widow, who afterward became the wife of R. B. Steele, of Kentucky, is residing near the home place. To Joseph Bryant and wife were born six children: Mary F. (Mrs. J. H. Greer), Elisha F. and John J. (twins, deceased), Wilson (deceased), Margaret (Mrs. George A. Mathews) and Josephine Ann (Mrs. W. F. Miller). By her marriage with Mr. Steele, the mother has two children, Wilson B. and Donno Inis, both of whom are at home. After he reached fifteen years of age Elisha F. assisted his mother on the farm, and about 1878 purchased the farm and has since resided there, with the exception of fourteen months in Morley. He was married in 1878 to Alice Owens, a native of the county, born in 1859 and a daughter of John and Lucretia (Hamilton) Owens, natives of Southeast Missouri and Indiana, respectively. They came to Scott County at an early day, and had seven children, of whom Alice is the only one living. Those deceased are: Edward T., William M., Elvira, Lucretia, Mary A., and an infant unnamed. The parents both died in 1875, the father on October 28, aged forty-two years, and the mother on November 28, aged forty-six years. Mr. and Mrs. Bryant have three children, Goeda A., Cora C. and John F. Mr. Bryant is now serving as constable of Morley. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p918.]
William H. Bugg
WILLIAM H. BUGG, a prominent farmer of Scott County, Mo., was born in Tennessee in 1847, and was reared in Kentucky. His parents, Jesse and Eliza (Atchison) Bugg, were natives of Tennessee and were reared and married in their native State. In 1848 they removed to Kentucky and located on a farm in Hickman County, where they remained until 1867, when they came to Southeast Missouri and settled on a farm in Morley Township, Scott County, where the subject of this sketch now lives. Mr. Bugg died in 1870, aged sixty years. Mrs. Bugg died about 1860, aged thirty-eight years. They had seven children, four of whom are dead, viz: Martha E., Anna M., Mary S. and Jesse H. Those living are William H., John A. and James R. After the death of Mrs. Bugg, Mr. Bugg married Mrs. Mary E. Sanders, by whom he had one child, Eliza C., the wife of O. M. Wilson. William H. remained on his father's farm until the death of the latter, and in 1872 was united in marriage with Miss Janie Wilson, who bore him two children, Thomas L. and William E., deceased. She died in April, 1876, aged twenty-two years. Mr. Bugg was married again January 24, 1878, choosing for his wife, Lucy W. Townes, a daughter of William M. and Mary C. (Dodson) Townes, natives of Virginia and North Carolina, respectively. The family removed to Tennessee in 1854 and resided until their deaths, the father's in 1863 and the mother's in 1873, aged forty-one and forty years, respectively. They had six children, Stephen A., Eddie E. (Mrs. James Trainer, of Arkansas), L. A. (deceased), Lucy W., William M. (of Texas), and Nathaniel F. By a previous marriage with Eliza Thomas, Mr. Townes had four children, of whom one, James M., is living. Those dead are Thomas J., Monroe C. and Mary I., wife of Dr. C. C. Harris, of Benton, Mo. Mrs. Bugg came to Southeast Missouri in 1874 and resided with Mrs. Harris until the former's marriage. Mr. Bugg has a fine farm of 160 acres, with 100 acres under cultivation. He and wife have two children, Minnie I. and Otto. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p918-919.]
William W. Campbell
CAPT. WILLIAM W. CAMPBELL, a prominent stock farmer of Scott County, Mo., was born in Kentucky in December, 1826, and is a son of William J. and Priscilla (Asbell) Campbell, natives of North Carolina, where they were reared, being married in Kentucky, to which they removed about the time of the Jackson purchase. In the winter of 1833 they came to Southeast Missouri, and located near Charleston, where they both died, the father in 1848, aged forty-six years, and the mother on November 5, 1855, aged forty-eight years. They had nine children: Eson C. (deceased), William W., Joseph M. (deceased), Malissa C., Granderson M., Aaron D. (deceased), Martha I. (deceased), and Polly Ann (deceased). Granderson M. is in Texas engaged in farming. Malissa C. lives with the subject of this sketch. William W. came to Missouri with his parents, and remained at home until 1848, when he went to North Missouri, but was taken sick soon after and returned home and engaged in the grocery business in Charleston. After continuing about two years he sold out, and in the spring of 1850 went to California. Four years later he left the latter State and went by ship to Key West, thence to Virginia, where he left the ship and proceeded to Baltimore, Philadelphia, and from here on to Southeast Missouri. After one year's merchandising at what is known as Lane's Landing, on the Mississippi River, he purchased 260 acres of land near his present farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits. The next year (1856) he sold that and purchased the farm on which he now resides. In 1864 he was mustered into the Federal army as captain of Company D, Fiftieth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and was discharged in St. Louis in July, 1865. At the close of the war he returned home and resumed farming, but his house had been burned by guerrillas. In 1854 he was married to Molly Daniel, a native of Mississippi County, Mo. She died in 1859, leaving one daughter, Louisa, who afterwards became the wife of Martin L. Terrell, and died in 1877. On August 18, 1859, Mr. Campbell married Emily J. Hinton, who was born in Scott County, Mo, on April 12, 1838 and died October 8, 1879. To this union six children were born as follows: Alexander Joseph (born on December 19, 1862, died on September 1, 1864), Alice (born on February 15, 1855, died on August 19, 1871), Murray (born April 1, 1875), Thomas (born April 2, 1876), and George A. (born February 15, 1879) Mr. Campbell is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. His wife was also a member of the same church. Mr. Campbell is enterprising and progressive, and has done much to promote the educational facilities of his district. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p919.]
William L. Carroll
WILLIAM L. CARROLL, a successful farmer of Scott County, was born in Indianapolis, Ind., July 4, 1856, and is a son of Matthew and Anna (Burns) Carroll, both natives of County Wexford, Ireland. They were married in their native country and immigrated to America. Locating at Indianapolis, Ind., they resided there until 1859, when they immigrated to New Madrid County, Mo., and located a few miles south of Sikeston. Mr. Carroll was a farmer, and in 1861 he removed his family to Stoddard County, Mo., where he purchased at a good price, a great deal of swamp land, which afterward proved to be worthless. He, in partnership with Sterling Smith, built what is known as the Levee Road. Although possessing considerable wealth, he was broken up during the war, and died on August 5, 1870. His wife died in 1862. They had five children, only two of whom are living: Patrick (who resides in New York) and William I. Those deceased are Mary A., Hannah and Nicholas E. The subject of this sketch was but an infant when his parents removed to Southeast Missouri. He remained with his father until the latter's death, and received his education at Bloomfield and Cape Girardeau. In 1873 he came to Scott County, and worked for others until he was married, January 15, 1879 to Susan M. Marshall, when he began working for himself. He now owns 320 acres of valuable land. His home farm contains 160 acres, mostly under cultivation with good improvements. He and wife had had five children: Franklin M., William N., Mary A., Oscar E. and Parthena F. (deceased). Mr. Carroll is a member of the A. F. & A. M., I. O. O. F. and Wheeler Society. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p919-920.]
CHARLES CHANEY, a farmer and stock raiser of Scott County, Mo., was born in the county in 1840, and is a son of Levi D. and Mary E. (Neely) Chaney, both natives of Kentucky. Levi D. Chaney came with his mother to Southeast Missouri about 1828 or 1830, and located in Perry County. He afterward removed to Cape Girardeau County, from whence he came to Scott County, and located near Sikeston, where he died in 1862, aged fifty-two years. His widow died in 1853, age forty-six years. They were the parents of eleven children, five of whom are living, viz: Charles, Sarah E. (Mrs. Jasper Wilson), Jason (of Dunklin County, Mo.) Benjamin F. (of Sikeston), and Susan (wife of Dr. Kendall of Sikeston). Charles remained at home until he was twenty-two years of age and assisted his parents on the farm. Some time during the Civil War, he enlisted in the State Guards under Jeff. Thompson, and served four months when he returned home and was married. He located on a farm in Richwoods and remained two years, when he sold out and removed to Sikeston and engaged in merchandising, but after nine months he abandoned the mercantile business, and removed to a farm again. About 1880 he removed to his present location. He has been married three times, first to Frances Moore, who was born and reared in Scott County. She died in 1877, having borne six children: Charles, Mary C., Francis B., John L. (deceased), Cassie (deceased) and Cora (deceased). He afterward married Mrs. Mary E. (Bugg) Timmons, a native of Kentucky. She had two children by her first marriage, Charles and Bruce. She died about one year and nine months after her marriage with Mr. Chaney. In 1879 he married his present wife, Mrs. Evaline (Reeves) Allen, who had four children by her first marriage: Benjamin F., Louisa, John and an infant (deceased). By this union, Mr. Chaney has four children: Thomas, Alonzo, Sarah and Jamesettia. Mr. Chaney is a member of the A. O. U. W. He and wife are active members of the Baptist Church. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p920.]
George W. Chrismon
GEORGE W. CHRISMON, a promising young farmer of Scott County, was born in Henry County, Tenn., on February 21, 1853. His parents, James H. and Mary (Liggett) Chrismon, were natives of Williamson County, Tenn. Grandfather Chrismon came from England, and settled first in Pennsylvania, but afterward immigrated to Tennessee, where he was killed by a horse kicking him. The Liggett family immigrated to the United States from Ireland, and settled in Tennessee. James H. Chrismon was reared in his native State. His early life was passed in the mercantile business, but his later years were spent on the farm. He removed to Missouri in 1872, making the entire journey in wagons. He located in Mississippi County, but after one year he immigrated to Crawford County, Kas. Not being satisfied with that climate, he returned to Missouri after one year, and settled in Scott County, where he died in October, 1875. His wife died in April 1877. They were the parents of eight children, three of whom, Lizzie (Mrs. Matt Simon), Thomas J. and George W., are living. The subject of this sketch was reared on his parents' farm, and received a liberal education in the common schools. He remained with his parents until their deaths, since which time he has worked for himself and has been very successful in business. He has purchased 120 acres of forest land, which he is now clearing and turning into a valuable farm. Mr. Chrismon is a member of the Wheeler Society. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p920-921.]
John W. Clemson
JOHN W. CLEMSON, station agent and notary public or Oran, Mo., was born in Dresden, Weakley Co., Tenn., July 12, 1848. He is a son of Jonathan S. and Lumega (Fowler) Clemson. Jonathan S.Clemson was born in North Carolina in 1818 and removed to Tennessee in 1844. Lumega (Fowler) Clemson was born in Granville County, N. C., in 1821 and is a daughter of John and Nancy (Henrrick) Flowler, natives of North Carolina and Virginia, respectively. When seven years of age, Lumega Flowler, with her parents left her native State and located on a farm near Dresden, Tenn., where the parents died--John Flowler in 1855, age eighty-seven years; and his wife in 1835, aged forty-six years. To them were born seven children. Those living are Sarah H. (aged seventy-three years), Charles E. (of Texas), John T. (of Fulton, Ky., with whom Sarah H. resides) and Mrs. Clemson (now living in Commerce, Mo.). Lumega (Fowler) Clemson remained with her parents until she was married in 1846. She and her husband remained in Tennessee until 1856, when they came to Missouri and located in Ripley County, but the next year removed to Commerce, whee Mr. Clemson died on March 28, 1868. They were the parents of five children: Magarie A. M. (wife of ex-county judge S. R. Jones, of Commerce), Nancy L. (widow of Virgil Porterfield), John W., Georgiana (wife of Raymond Dodge, (of Kansas City) and Charles E. (deceased). John W. remained with his parents until about twenty years of age, after which he was employed at various occupations until 1874, when he was elected constable of Sylvania Township and served four years. In March, 1879, he entered the railroad office at Oran, Mo., as agent, and remained till 1880, when he went to Commerce and worked in a mill until May 21, 1881, when he came back to Oran and took his present position in the railroad office. He first married Louisa Pugh, of Commerce, who died November 9, 1876. On July 4, 1877, he wedded Jennie Friend, who died on January 7, 1885, leaving two children: Georgia R. and Jennie W. She lost two children in infancy: Thomas F. and John S. Mr. Clemson married his present wife, Ella J. Harris, on February 24, 1886. She is a member of the Baptist Church. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the A. O. U. W. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p921.]
John R. Coffman
JOHN R. COFFMAN, M.D., a prominent physician of Commerce, Mo., was born in Ste. Genevieve County, Mo., in 1846. His grandfather, Joseph Coffman, was born in Pennsylvania of German parents, and although he spoke English well, was much more thoroughly versed in German. He located in Virginia. The family residence was within fourteen miles of Monticello--the abode of Thomas Jefferson. In 1832 Joseph Coffman left Virginia, with his family, and came to Ste. Genevieve County, Mo., where he resolved to settle. Learning that there was good land for sale twenty miles south of Ste. Genevieve, he proceeded in that direction and purchased the estate on which his family has since resided. This estate contained 1,200 arpents of land, which he afterward cultivated, and which formed the foundation of his fortune, and that of his son, John, who inherited the estate. Joseph Coffman died in 1856, and John Coffman, the father of the subject of this sketch, took possession of the property, and managed it with rare skill, until his death. The emancipation of 116 slaves diminished the value of the property $75,000. In 1840 John Coffman and Jane L. Smith were united in marriage. She was the daughter of Judge Smith (judge of the court of quarter-sessions at Ste. Genevieve). John Coffman died October 25, 1887, with chronic pleurisy. His wife died previously, in 1880. They were the parents of ten children, viz.: James W., Charles, Frank, John, Jesse, Lucinda (now Mrs. Bull), Ida (now Mrs. Tillman), Joseph, Jennie ( Mrs. Crowder) and Menard. Charles and Menard are deceased.
John R. Coffman remained with his parents in Ste. Genevieve County until he was sixteen years of age, when he entered the Washington University of St. Louis, and remained four years, after which he entered the St. Louis Medical College, from which institution he graduated in 1869. In 1870 he took a diploma from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York. Returning home, he soon after went to Hood County, Tex., and remained there four years, practicing his profession. He then located at Commerce. He is a member of the Southeast Missouri Medical Association, and has taken special courses on the eye. He was married in 1871 to Anna P. Saunders, a native of Arkansas, born in 1850. She is a daughter of John and Martha Saunders, natives of Alabama. Besides his profession, Dr. Coffman has large farming interests. He and his wife are the parents of five children: Federic, Harry, Normante, Yancy and Marie. Normante is dead. Dr. Coffman is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and of the A. O. U. W. Both he and Mrs. Coffman are earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. -- Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 921-922.
James L. Crow
JAMES L. CROW, an enterprising farmer of Scott County, Mo., was born in West Tennessee on December 14, 1846, and is a son of Edward and Elizabeth (Hopkins) Crow. The paternal great-grandfather immigrated to the United States from Germany and settled in Crittenden County, Ky. The grandfather Levi S. Crow, emigrated from Kentucky to Tennessee, and resided there until his death. Edward Crow's family, after his death, removed from Tennessee to Cape Girardeau County, Mo., in 1854, and remained there until 1861, when they removed to Union County, Ill. The mother of our subject died in 1879. She had one other child, Mary A. (deceased). James L. remained with his mother until the war broke out, when he enlisted in Company F, One hundred and forty-fifth Illinois Regiment (afterward consolidated with the Eighteenth Illinois) and served until the close of the war. While on the boat going from St. Louis he received a fall which disabled him for some time. He served as corporal and also as sergeant. In September, 1864, at Mozelle Bridge, he received a gunshot wound in the right leg. After the war in 1867 he removed to Scott County, Mo., and located where he now resides, and has lived ever since, with the exception of one year in Stoddard County. He cultivates 335 acres of good land and is a successful and intelligent business man. In 1864 he was united in marriage with Amanda A. Radden, a native of Illinois. They are the parents of eight children, three of whom are living: William, Charles A. and Edward D. His wife died in 1876, and in 1877 he married Paralee Radden, by who he had one child, Robert G. She died in 1884. He was married to Mary A. Man in 1885. To this union one child has been born--Ebert. Mr. Crow is a Mason and a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of P. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p922.]
Benjamin S. Curd
BENJAMIN S. CURD was born in Kentucky in 1833, and is a son of Charles and Sarah (Martin) Curd, natives of Virginia and England, respectively. The Curd family immigrated to the United States from Ireland, and located in Virginia, from whence they removed to Kentucky, where the parents of our subject died. The latter came to Missouri in 1856, and located on Price's Landing on the Mississippi River. He was engaged in shipping grain until the Civil War and for a short time after the close of the war. He then removed to Point Pleasant, Mo., and engaged in the same business, but after a short stay there he removed to New Madrid County and remained until 1869, when he removed to Morley, Scott County, where he has since resided, engaged in merchandising. He was married in 1856 to Miss Kate Price, of Price's Landing, a daughter of Archie A. Price, a cousin of Gen. Price, and Mary Hunter, a daughter of Col. Abram Hunter. The Price family are all dead except Mrs. Curd and her sister, Mary Griffith, (now living at Morley). Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Curd: Lutie P. (who is married and resides in Morley), Mary (deceased) and Lyman (also deceased). Mrs. Curd is a consistent member of the Baptist Church. Mr. Curd received his education in the seminary at Murray. He is quite fond of literature, and owns a very fine library. Mr. Curd's parents had a family of fifteen children, nine of whom grew to maturity and seven of whom are living at present. Besides Benjamin S. are Dr. E. B. and James E. of Kentucky, Richard, Thomas, Elizabeth, Austin and Sarah Russell of Texas. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p922.]
Samuel F.M. Darby
SAMUEL F. M. DARBY, farmer and a member of the firm of Stallup & Co., grain merchants, was born in Scott County, Mo., on September 1, 1845. He is a son of William T. and Delphia C. (Kirkpatrick) Darby, the former a native of South Carolina and the latter of Tennessee. William T. Darby immigrated to Scott County about 1838, and stopped near Price's Landing, where he remained a short time, when he entered 120 acres of land at Sandywoods. He removed to the latter place, and remained there until his death, on December 23, 1883, aged sixty-five years, six months and fourteen days. His widow still resides there. They were the parents of eight children, five of whom are living: William, Casper, James A., John W. and Martha Jane. Those deceased are Nancy E., Mary L. and Margaret Ann. Samuel remained on his father's farm until he was twenty-four years of age, when he was married to America Ballard, and located six miles north of Charleston. After three years he moved to Wayne County, Mo., and remained there until December, 1873, when he removed to his present home near Sikeston. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Darby: Grady C., Effie E., Charles M., Mary C. and Samuel E., living, and James William and Albert King, deceased. Mr. Darby is a member of the A. O. U. W. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p922-923.]
H. H. DAUGHERTY, sheriff of Scott County, Mo., was born in Dunklin County, in 1849, and is a son of John H. and Catherine (Summers) Daugherty, both natives of Southeast Missouri. John H. Daugherty was born in 1816, and died on December 14, 1887. He was a son of Elijah Daugherty, one of the first settlers of the Cape Girardeau District. The former went from Cape Girardeau County to Dunklin County in 1849, and served as sheriff of the county for two terms. Returning to Cape Girardeau County he remained until 1855 or 1856, when he removed to Scott County, but at the beginning of the Civil War he went to Illinois and remained until the war was over, when he returned to Scott County, and resided on what is known as Daugherty Landing, until eight years before his death, when he removed to Morley. He was a farmer by vocation. To him and wife were born twelve children, eight of whom are living, viz.: Columbia (Mrs. John T. Gaither, of Commerce), Alexander, Henry H., James A. (a resident of St. Louis), Elijah (a merchant of Morley), Ruth, Llewellyn (a druggist of Benton), and John. Those deceased are: Ashley (who died in March, 1886), Minnie, Martha (the wife of A. M. Massey), and an infant. Mrs. Daugherty is still residing in Morley. Henry H. remained with his parents until he was twenty-two years of age, when he married Luttice Singleton, a native of Marietta, Ohio. She died in 1875, having born three children, all of whom died in infancy. Their names are: Fannie, Ella and Eva. Mr. Daugherty afterward married Sarah Batts, a native of Tennessee. To them have been born five children: Leda, Marvin, Willie and John (deceased) and one that died in infancy. In November, 1884, Mr. Daugherty was elected sheriff of Scott County, and was re-elected in 1886. From 1875 to 1883 he served as postmaster of Morley. Since 1873 he has resided in Morley. Besides his town property he has two farms near town, and a drug-store in Benton. Mr. and Mrs. Daugherty are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and the A. O. U. W. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p.924.]
John W. Daugherty
JOHN W. DAUGHERTY, a stock farmer and fruit grower, of Scott County, Mo., was born in Cape Girardeau County, Mo., February 28, 1835, and is the son of William and Pauline (Mansfield) Daugherty. William Daugherty was born in Cape Girardeau in the same house in which the subject of this sketch was born. Pauline Mansfield was was born in Kentucky, in 1806, and came to Missouri with her parents about 1809. The family located in New Madrid County, but after the earthquake of 1812, removed to Scott County. William Daugherty was a son of Elijah Daugherty, a native of Virginia, who removed to Missouri, and located near Jackson in the early settlement of Cape Girardeau County. He died in 1856 at about seventy-eight years of age. His wife, Patty Daugherty, died about 1840. Their children were William, John H., Jarvis, Joseph, Sarah, Betsy, Emily, Mary and Martha (all deceased). To William and Pauline Daugherty were born six children, viz: Elijah (deceased), Agnes (also deceased), Mary (living in Illinois), John W., Joseph (of Scott County), and Jarvis (of New Madrid County). Their mother died on December 24, 1839, after which Mr. Daugherty married Jane Griffin, a native of Indiana, who died in 1859, leaving three children, Sarah, Matilda and Patty. William Daugherty died in April 1873. John W. commenced work for himself in 1857, but made his home with his father until his marriage in 1861, when he located on a farm in Scott County, but removed to his present improved farm in 1866. He was married February 28, 1861 in this county by Rev. Rucker, to Elizabeth Price, who was born March 6, 1839 and reared in Scott County, Mo., but was educated at Hopkinsville, Ky. She is the daughter of Thomas H. and Mary (Baldwin) Price, early settlers in Scott County. Thomas Harrison Price was born March 2, 1808, in Alexander County, Md., near the Potomac River. His parents died when he was quite young, leaving a family of two girls and six or eight boys. Harriet and Ann were the daughters. One of them married a John Wood, the first settler of Woodville, Ky.; the other married John Wilcox. The sons were Richard, Robert, Joseph and William Elgin. William Price lived in Hopkinsville, Ky, about fifty years, and died there about 1869 or 1870. He was married to a Miss Margaret Coleman of Hopkinsville. Thomas H. Price's first wife was from Kentucky--Miss Mildred Mansfield. They moved to Missouri about 1831 or 1832, and had two children: John Wesley and Mary. Mrs. Price died about 1834. Mary Baldwin, his second wife, was born August 8, 1813. They were married October 20, 1836, and had the following named children: Thomas William (deceased), born September 7, 1837; Elizabeth Winafred, March 6, 1839; Termelia Adaline, March 20, 1841; Ann Eliza, November 1, 1843; Edward Harrison, March 14 1846; Washington Price (deceased), January 28, 1849; Charles Robert, April 7, 1851; Benjamin Franklin, (deceased), May 25, 1854; and Richard Jefferson, February 1, 1856. Mr. Price died October 7, 1864. His widow lives in Texas with her youngest son. Her children are Elizabeth, Adaline, Anna, Edward, Robert and Jefferson.
Mr. Daugherty is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and of the Agricultural Wheel. Mr. and Mrs. Daugherty have eight boys and two girls, one of whom is dead, Elijah M., born April 14, 1862 and died September 28, 1863. Those living with dates of birth are as follows: Margaret Elnora, March 18, 1864; William Thomas, May 18, 1866; Pearl Edward, August 27, 1868; John Alexander, September 14, 1870; Mary Alberty, February 10, 1873; Benjamin Robert, April 13, 1875; Marshal Ernest, October 31, 1877; Holcombe May, December 12, 1879; Paul Batten, August 10, 1882. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p923.]
Carter F. De Wint
CARTER F. DE WINT, a druggist of Commerce, Mo., was born in Kansas City, Mo., in 1852, and is the son of Dr. Frederick and Sarah De Wint. Frederick De Wint was a graduate of the St. Louis Medical College. He came to Commerce in 1866, and remained until his death. During the Civil War he served as surgeon in the Federal army. By his first wife, the mother of the subject of this sketch, he had three children: Carter F., John (who died in 1866), and Sarah A. (widow of Madison Petty), of Commerce. The second time, Dr. De Wint married Maggie Arnold, who was born and reared in Cape Girardeau County, Mo. To this union were born two children, Ada and Alma, now residing with Mrs. Petty, and attending school in Commerce. Their mother is dead. Carter F. De Wint engaged in business on his own account, in Commerce, in 1881. After the death of his father he continued the business at his father's old stand. In 1877 his marriage with Miss Maggie Billing was celebrated. She was born and reared in Commerce and is a daughter of D. C. Billing, a ferryman on the Mississippi River. Their union has been blessed by the birth of three children, Harry C., Alta and Grace. Mr. and Mrs. De Wint are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p.924.]
George R. Diamond
MAJOR GEORGE R. DIAMOND was born in Giles, W. Va., in 1837, and died at the home of his son, Charles Diamond, in Sandywoods, Mo., in December, 1919, at the age of eighty-two years. George Diamond enlisted at Prestonburg, Ky., October 26, 1861, in the Confederate army and rose to the rank of major. He was captured and paroled May 8, 1865, at Athens, Ga. He commanded a company of cavalry that bore his name and won considerable fame for bravery and daring. He was wounded once when capturing a guerrilla, who shot him in the hand. At one time he was the only officer who stayed with the colors, and he surrendered a large number of men. Major Diamond went to Scott County, Mo., from Kentucky about eighteen years ago. He was married to Mrs. Tina Graham in 1885 and was the father of eight children, two sons and six daughters. One brother, Joshua Diamond, aged eighty-one years, living at Louisa, Ky., also survives. While a resident of Kentucky "Colonel" Diamond, as he was known, was elected to the House of Representatives and wrote a bill that later became a law appropriating $15,000 for the deepening of the Little Sandy River. [--Source: THE CONFEDERATE VETERAN, 1920, Vol. 28.]
Thomas B. Dodge
THOMAS B. DODGE, a substantial farmer of Scott County, was born in Jefferson County, Ky., on December 11, 1845. His parents, Martin B. and Lucinda E. (Bacon) Dodge, were natives of New York and Kentucky, respectively. The grandfather, Jerrod Dodge, emigrated from his native land, Scotland, to America and settled in Erie County, N. Y., where he resided until his death. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. Martin B. Dodge was reared at his father's home near New York City, and when a young man, immigrated to Kentucky, where he married and reared a family. In 1860 he brought his family and goods in wagons to Mississippi County, Mo., and located about fifteen miles form Charleston. Several years later he purchased and removed to a farm near Charleston, where he resided until his death, September 4, 1874. His widow still resides there. They were the parents of four children: Thomas B., Emma (Mrs. Richard Harris), Melvina A. (Mrs. Frank Grayson) and Mabel Harper (deceased). The subject of this sketch left the home of his parents soon after coming to Missouri, and worked out until he was married on December 27, 1868 to Mary, a daughter of John and Almiranda (Kirkpatrick) Martin, natives of Virginia. He then settled on a farm near Price's Landing, but after one year he removed to Charleston. In November, 1878, he purchased his present farm. At that time the land was in the forest, and it has required several years of hard labor to put it all under its present state of cultivation. Mr. and Mrs. Dodge have four children: Ida, John M., Thomas R. and David E. Mrs. Dodge is a consistent member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Dodge is a member of the Wheeler Society. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p.924-925.]
JOSEPH DOHOGNE, an enterprising farmer of Kelso Township, Scott County, Mo., was born in Belgium in 1848 and in 1854 came to the United States with his parents, John Joseph and Mary Ann Dohogne, both natives of Belgium. They engaged in agricultural pursuits on a farm near New Hamburg, Scott County, Mo., where the parents died in 1875, within four weeks of each other. To them were born seven children, five of whom are living: Josephine (now the wife of Philip Mueller of Wisconsin), Angeline (wife of Philip Rassman, of Wisconsin), Constantine (residing in Kelso), Joseph and Adolph (residing in New Hamburg). Those dead are John and Clementine. Joseph lived with his parents until their deaths. In December 1873, he married Miss Victoria Heisserer, who was born and reared in Scott County. Their union has been blessed by the birth of five children, all boys, two of whom died in infancy. Those living are John, Louis and William. In 1881 Mr. Dohogne removed to his present farm, consisting of 100 acres. In religious belief the family are members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Dohogne served seven months in 1864 in the State Militia, under Capt. Samuel Tanner, now of Sikeston, Mo. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p.925.]
Nelson O. Ellis
NELSON O. ELLIS, a prosperous farmer of Commerce Township, Scott Co., Mo., was born June 1, 1838. He is a son of Edward Ellis, a native of Maryland, who married Harriet R. Nelson, in Virginia, of which State she was a native. After their union they removed to Kentucky, and located in Washington County, where they remained about four years, and then came to Southeast Missouri. Locating near the present town of Benton, they soon after removed to a place on the Mississippi River, now known as Gray's Point. There Mr. Ellis built a large frame grist and sawmill, the first one in Scott County. He afterward sold his mill, and removed back, near Benton, but later removed to the farm now occupied by Miss Emily Ellis. He and wife reared a large family of children. Those living are: Emily, Susan (Mrs. B. B. Gaither), Eliza (Mrs. Daniel H. Leedy), and Nelson O. Those dead are Jackson, Benjamin, Edward, William, Nancy, Sarah, Mary, Elizabeth and Harriet. Nelson O. lived at home until the death of his parents, which happened about the commencement of the Civil War. He then enlisted in the Confederate army, under Col. Alexander Waugh, and after the war came home, and engaged in dealing in horses and mules. On September 19, 1865 he married Martha Jane Ancell, a daughter of Pascal E. and Martha (Whitelaw) Ancell. Pascal E. Ancell was married three times, Martha Whitelaw being his first wife. The latter died when Martha Jane, her child was three months old. Pascal E. Ancell died in 1883. Mrs. Ellis was reared by her grandmother, Nancy Ancell, who lived to be very old at the home of the former's father. Mr. and Mrs. Ellis' union has been blessed by the birth of five children: Fannie, Earlie P., Joseph F., Theodore F., and Eliza A. Mrs. Ellis is an earnest member of the Missionary Baptist Church. He has a nice farm of 360 acres, and resides in a brick house that was built about 1859 by Henry Ancell. On March 20,1866 it was destroyed by a cyclone, and rebuilt in 1867. Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 925.
James F. Evins
JAMES F. EVINS, postmaster at Blodgett, Mo., and a member of the firm of Evins & Marshall, general merchants, was born in Lyon County, Ky., January 20, 1854, and is the only child of William S. and Elizabeth (Withrow) Evins, both natives of Kentucky, the latter of German descent. The grandfather, Louis Evins, was also a native of Kentucky. He died in Scott County, Mo., in March 1884. William S. Evins was reared in his native State, and immigrated to Missouri in 1856. He purchased a farm from A. Hunter, about one and a half miles south of Blodgett, upon which he resided until his death in 1884. He served in the Civil War, and being a carpenter by trade, much of his time was devoted to building flat-boats for the service. However, he was in several skirmishes, and was twice wounded by gunshots. Upon the death of Mrs. Evins, in 1856, James F. was sent back to Kentucky, where he remained with his aunt until 1869. He then returned to Missouri, and located on the old homestead, and remained until March, 1872, when he went to Dardanelle, Ark., and attended school about three years. Returning home he assisted his father on the farm two years, after which he went to Fort Smith, Ark., and served for a time as captain and pilot of a steam ferry boat. He was then successively engaged in running on a steamboat, clerking in a store and working in a chair-factory, etc. Returning home again he speculated for a time in stock and watermelons, after which he was employed as clerk in a government snag-boat, running between Wichita, Kas., and Little Rock, Ark. In 1884 he removed to Blodgett, and was engaged as clerk in A. J. Pigg's store until February 1885, when he engaged in the mercantile business for himself, but in 1887 he sold out, and soon after built a grist-mill, which he still manages in connection with his mercantile business. On June 12, 1883, he was united in marriage with Elizabeth J. Pigg. They have had three children, two of whom are living. Mr. Evins is an intelligent and enterprising gentleman, and is possessed of good business qualifications. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 925-926.]
John D. Foster
JOHN D. FOSTER, ex-judge of the Tenth Judicial Circuit Court of Missouri, and a prominent attorney of Commerce, was born in Clark County, Ky., in 1828. His grandfather, William Foster, was born and reared in Virginia, and enlisted in the Revolutionary War, as a private soldier under Gen. Washington, but was afterward promoted to brigadier-general, and served six and one-half years. The Colonial Government granted him a tract of land in Kentucky, to which he removed his family. He improved the land and made a home, at which he died at the age of eighty-two years. His son, Peyton Foster, father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., but was reared in Clark County. He was a captain in the War of 1812, and after the close of the war, engaged very extensively in stock-farming at which he was successful, being regarded as one of the most practical farmers of his section of the county. He married Mary Daniel, a native of Frankfort County, who was reared in Montgomery County, Ky. She was a niece of John Daniel, the first governor of Kentucky. To her and husband were born twelve children, of whom Jeannette, William H., George W, John D., Mary and Peyton lived to maturity. Jeannette, William H., John D. and Peyton are still living. Peyton Foster, the father, died in 1872, aged eighty-one years, and his wife, in 1871, aged seventy-eight years. When but a boy in 1846, John D. Foster went as first lieutenant to Mexico, to serve in the war against that nation. Thirty-seven days after he started, his captain died, and he was promoted to that rank, and later was promoted to major. Remaining in the service until the close of the war, almost twenty-three months, he returned home, after which he began the study of law, which from his youth, had been his chosen profession. He read law in the office and under the direction of John L. Steward, of Springfield, Ill., and was first admitted to the bar in that city. In 1851 he removed to Missouri and located at Kirksville, Adair County, and resided until 1861, when he entered the Federal army as colonel of the Twenty-second Missouri Volunteer Infantry. After three and one-half years' service, he was mustered out at St. Louis. In 1865 he came to Commerce, Mo., where he has since practiced his profession. In 1880 he was elected circuit judge for six years on the Republican ticket with a majority of 534 in a circuit of 3800 Democratic majority. From 1852 to 1856 Judge Foster represented Adair County in the Legislature, and from 1856 to 1860 was in the State Senate. He was also a member from 1861 to 1864 of the State convention which formed the Provisional Government. He was first married in 1831 to Euncy Miller, and after her death, married Losetta A. Knowles, a native of Mississippi County, Mo., born in 1848. Her parents were natives of Ohio and Kentucky. She died in 1875, aged twenty-seven, leaving one child, Addie Earl. Judge Foster afterward married Mary A. Williams, who was born in Mississippi County in 1853. Her parents were natives of Maryland and Kentucky. Her father died when she was seven years of age, and her mother now resides in Commerce. The Judge is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and the A. O. U. W. He, his wife and daughter, Earle, are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Besides his other interests Judge Foster is one of the large land owners of Southeast Missouri. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 926.]
Theo. F. Frazer
DR. THEO F. FRAZER, a physician of Commerce, Mo., and present Representative of Scott County, was born in Warren County, Ky., in 1846, and is a son of Alexander and Zuriah (Atchison) Frazer, natives of Kentucky. Soon after the Revolutionary War the paternal grandfather came from Scotland and located in what is now Warren County, Ky., where he lived to be a very old man, engaged in farming and speculating. He and wife had four sons and two daughters, all of whom grew to maturity, but are now deceased. Alexander Frazer was born in 1797, and died in 1859. He was reared in his native State and was also a farmer. His wife is of Irish descent and was also reared in her native State. Seven children were born to them, of whom Thomas, Samuel, Nancy H., Julia and Theo F. are living. George went to California in 1861 and has not been heard from. Sarah is dead. Mrs. Franzer is still living in Hopkins County, Ky., with her son Samuel. She was born April 4, 1803. The subject of this sketch was but thirteen years of age when his father died, after which he remained with his mother until he reached his majority, when he was employed as a clerk in a mercantile house. The next year (1866) he began the study of medicine under the direction of Dr. W. L. Johnson, of Charleston, Ky., and in the fall of the same year studied under T. A. Atchison, now of the Vanderbilt University. In 1868 he came to Scott County, Mo., and began practicing his profession in Benton, which he continued until 1873, when he removed to Commerce, his present location. He graduated from the University of Nashville in 1882, and in 1885 from the Vanderbilt University. He is a member of the Southeast Missouri Medical Association, of the A. F. & A. M. and of the A. O. U. W. In 1886 Dr. Frazer was elected to represent Scott County in the Legislature. His marriage with Miss Ida V. McPheters, a native of Illinois, was celebrated in 1879, and to their union was born two children, Roy and Nellie. Mrs. Frazer was a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. She died in 1885, aged twenty-nine years. Dr. Frazer served as mayor of Commerce from 1882 to 1887. Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 926-927.
JAMES FRIEND, the oldest native citizen of Scott County, was born on May 10, 1806, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Robinson) Friend, natives of Bedford County, Va., and Ohio, respectively. When sixteen years of age, Elizabeth Robinson came to Southeast Missouri with her parents and located on land entered from the Spanish Government, near Morley, known as the Abram Hunter farm. The Robinson family are all dead. Elizabeth was born in 1786 and died on July 8, 1840. In 1796 John Friend came by water with his parents, Charles and Nancy (Gough) Friend, to Southeast Missouri. Locating near Bird's Point, they soon after removed to 640 acres of land near Benton obtained from the Spanish Government. Here Charles Friend died about 1814, aged ninety-six years. He had a family of eleven children. John, the father of the subject of this sketch, obtained from Spain a tract of land one mile square near Morley, on which he and wife reared their family. They had eleven children, five of whom grew to maturity, viz: Andrew, James, Jacob (deceased), Margaret (deceased), and Catherine (the widow of Darius Mullen). John Friend was born on February 14, 1777 and after a very active and useful life, died in 1863. James Friend remained with his parents until 1832, when his father gave him the farm on which he now resides. He has been very energetic and industrious, and now has 220 of his 240 acres under cultivation with good improvements. In 1832 he married Catherine Cotterell, a native of the county. She died, and Mr. Friend, on July 7, 1884, was united in marriage with Malissa Ann (Wiley) Snyder, who was born in Kentucky and reared in Indiana. She came to Southeast Missouri in 1841, was the widow of Jacob Snyder and the mother of two children: James (who died in 1873, leaving one child, Charles Edward, living with the subject of this sketch) and Nancy (Mrs. John Friend). To James Friend and wife were born six children: Thomas B., Missouri (Mrs. James E. Harrison), Harden, Francis and William (twins), and Virginia (who died in infancy). Mrs. Friend died on January 17,1884 in her sixty-seventh year. Francis lives on the home place with his father, and manages the farm. He married Amelia Rosenburg and has two children: Pearle and Presley. James Friend is a highly respected citizen of Scott County, and a zealous member of the Baptist Church. Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 927.
JOHN FRIEND, a highly respected citizen and retired farmer of Scott County, Mo., is a native of the county, born in 1830. His grandfather, John Friend, came to Southeast Missouri about 1796, and accumulated considerable property. He was a very active man, and died at the age of eighty-six years, in 1863. He and wife had five children, who grew to maturity: Andrew, James, Jacob, Margaret and Catherine. James and Catherine are still living, the former resides at Oran, and the latter in Scott County. Their mother was of German descent, a native of Pennsylvania and died in 1840. Andrew Friend was the father of the subject of this sketch. He was born and reared in Southeast Missouri, and married Elizabeth Evans, also born and reared in the same district. He resided near his home place until 1854, when he removed his family to Ozark County, Mo., and remained until his death, in 1868. His wife died in 1854. Their children were John, Margaret, Elizabeth, James, Catherine, Israel, Emily, Mary, Jane and Martha. Martha, Emily and John are living. Catherine was killed during the war while trying to protect her husband, who was a Union soldier. John lived with an older brother and grandfather, but worked for his parents until he reached his majority. In connection with farming he worked in the carpenter's trade until 1861, when he enlisted in the army. After the war he was engaged in saw-milling, until 1867, when he began a contract with the Iron Mountain Southern Railroad for building bridges and trestles, which when he completed, he acted as foreman of the track-laying force, until the road was completed in 1869. He was then engaged in saw-milling for several years and then he engaged in farming. His wife, Nancy Snyder, is a daughter of ?Jacob and Malissa (Wiley) Snyder, natives of Germany and Kentucky, respectively. James Snyder was a stonemason, who came to Southeast Missouri from Kentucky, and died soon after, leaving his wife and two children: James (deceased) and Nancy. Mr. and Mrs. Friend have had three children: ? (deceased), James (deceased) and Nancy (the wife of Dr. W. E. Harris. Virginia was the wife of J. W. Clemson, now agent of the railroad (illegible) left two children. In religious belief all the members of the family are ?Baptist. Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 928.
Benjamin B. Gaither
BENJAMIN B. GAITHER, one of the most prominent citizens of Scott County, Mo., was born in Kentucky in 1824. He is a son of John Gaither of ?English descent, born near the District of Columbia, in Maryland. When young the latter's parents came to Maryland, and resided there until their death. They had three children: Horace, Harriet (Pierce) and John. The last named moved to Kentucky, where he married Rebbecca Bell, a native of Kentucky of Welsh parentage. In March 1833, they came to Cape Girardeau County and purchased land on which they located, and afterward improved and built their home. John Gaither died in September 1837 and his wife died in 1835. They were the parents of eight children, viz: Benjamin B., (illegible) (of Texas), John T. (a merchant of Commerce, Mo.), Harriet (wife of J. Ellis, residing near Commerce). Margaret, Rebecca and Harriet were married and raised families. Benjamin B. was thirteen years old when his father died. He went to Jackson, Mo., and learned the tanner's trade with James M. McGuire serving an apprenticeship of six and one-half years. In 1845 he went to Commerce and established a tan-yard, which he managed until 1856, after which he engaged in general merchandising at Benton, and continued two years when he returned to Commerce and engaged in the grocery and milling business. During the war he dealt in grain, mostly corn, which he sold to the built a store-house in Morley, and sold goods there until 1870. In 1872 he traded the store and goods at Morley to his brother, John T. for the farm where he now resides. On January 26, 1847 he was united in marriage (illegible) a native of Scott County, born on what is now the county poor farm. She was born January 4, 1828 and is the daughter of Edward and Harriet (illegible), natives of Maryland and Virginia, respectively, who removed to Kentucky and from thence to Southeast Missouri in 1827. They had thirteen children: Emily, Eliza, Nelson, Susan, Elizabeth, Jackson, Benjamin, Nancy, Mary, Harriet, William and Edward. The last nine are dead. Eliza is the wife of Daniel H. Loody, and Nelson lives Scott County and is engaged in farming. Mr. Ellis died in the spring of 1858 and his wife in 1859. In 1859 or 1860 Mr. Gaither was appointed justice of the peace and in 1881 was elected to represent Scott County in the Legislature. Gaither is extensively engaged in stock-raising. He has about 120 acres of land under cultivation, most of which he rents. He is a member of the A. M. His wife is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They have no children of their own, but have reared sixteen orphans, only two of whom are with them now: Jefferson Tisdle and ??, daughter of Samuel T. Davis, a prominent attorney of New Madrid, who died in 1881. Mr. Gaither and wife are highly esteemed by all who knows them, and are two of Scott County's best citizens. [Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 930.]
John F. Grant - Read Biography
Henry F. Grupe
REV. HENRY F. GRUPE, pastor of Eisleben Evangelical Lutheran Church, Kelso Township, Scott Co., Mo., was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1848, and is a son of Frederick Grupe and Georgiene (Wiebrok) Grupe, both natives of Hanover. In 1854 Frederick Grupe set sail for America. Landing in New York he went to Crete, Will Co., Ill., and located. He was born on April 19, 1808, and when young learned the carpenter's trade. His wife died in 1879, aged sixty-nine years. They were the parents of five children: Fredeick (on the home place in Illinois, engaged in farming), Friedericke (Mrs. Christopher Rust, of Illinois), Caroline (Mrs. Philipp Mueller of Illinois), Henry F. and George H. (who died June 18,1887, at Oak Park, Ill., aged thrity-eight years). The father is still living at Crete, engaged in agricultural pursuits. Henry F. began his education at Crete and took a private commercial course while clerking in a store. His education was finished in the Concordia Seminary of St. Louis, Mo., from which he graduated in the theological department in 1871. In August of the same year, he came to Southeast Missouri and was ordained pastor by D. Bohnhardt, Daniel Ruebel and others. It now has voting membership of forty-nine, and has a school of seventy-nine pupils. In October 1871, Rev. Grupe was married to Miss E. D. Schweer, who was born in Germany on February 2, 1850, and came to Crete, Ill., in 1865. Four children were born to this union, as follows: Gustavus, January 12, 1873, died in October, 1875; Paul, August 5, 1875; Otto, December 3, 1876, died in August, 1877, and Emilie, July 25, 1879. A few hours after the birth of this child, Mrs. Grupe died. On the 30th of May, 1880, Rev. Grupe married Miss Katharina Hoffmann, born in St. Louis, Mo., September 7, 1850. Two children have been born to this union: Arthur, April 23, 1881, and Henry, January 2, 1886. Rev. Grupe is an earnest Christian, who devotes his whole time to his church and is beloved by his members. --Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 928.
Abner J. Gupton
DR. ABNER J. GUPTON, a physician of Morley, Mo., was born in Montgomery County, Tenn., in 1841, and is a son of Robert T. Gupton, a native of Tennessee. The latter's father, Abner Gupton, was a native of North Carolina and removed to Tennessee about 1800. He served as magistrate of Montgomery County, Tenn., for forty-eight years, from 1802 to 1850. He was a soldier in the war for independence, and was wounded at the battle of Guilford Court House. After a very active life, he died in 1858, aged one hundred and four years. He had never been sick a day in his life. Robert T. was one of a large family of children. He also led a very active life, and served as magistrate in the same county as his father from 1836 until the beginning of the Civil War. After the war he filled the same office until his death in 1866, aged fifty-six years. His wife, Henrietta Power, was a native of North Carolina, who when an infant came to Tennessee with her parents, and located in Montgomery County on a farm, where the parents remained until their deaths. Robert T. Gupton and wife had eight children, five of whom lived to be grown. Martha was married to Andrew J. Harrison, a native of Virginia. They are both dead, and their children: Henrietta, Robert, Allen, Virgin and John are living with the subject of this sketch. The other four are Abner J., Cave J. (who died in 1872), John (holding the office of magistrate of Cheatham County, Tenn) and Henrietta (Mrs. John M. Duke, who died in 1886). The mother of these children died in 1863, aged forty-two years. Abner J. chose medicine as his profession. In 1861 he enlisted as a private in the Forty-second Tennessee Infantry, Col. (afterward Brig. Gen.) W. A. Quaries, C. S. A., commanding, and was promoted to the position of assistant-surgeon on the battlefield, at Fort Donelson, by his colonel. He was examined by the medical board in 1863, who, in passing him, recommended his commission to date from February 13, 1862. He was in every engagement with his command, and was never absent from duty but once during the war--when on a two weeks' furlough in April 1865. At the close of the war he returned home and began practicing his profession. In November 1866 he removed to New Providence, Tenn., and resumed his practice. In 1875 he located in Morley, Mo., and is now the oldest practicing physician in the town. In July 1866 he wedded Mary F. Crow, a native of Alabama, born in 1845, and a daughter of Isaac F. Crow, a native of South Carolina. The doctor and wife have had four children: Fannie B., Mary P., Harry (deceased) and Ernest (deceased). They have a nice home, and all are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The Doctor is an active church worker, and is now one of the trustees, and Sunday school superintendent. [unknown source]
Jack Carson High
Jack Carson High was born May 17, 1921 in Commerce, Missouri to Ambrose High and Ruth Jane Carson High. Jack was baptized in the United Methodist Church in Commerce. His folks moved to Aurora, Illinois in 1926. He was raised near Aurora, Illinois, Jack was of French-Indian-American nationality. He started professional boxing in 1936 and continued until entering the United States Army in 1939. While in service Jack was on the shores of France during the Normandy Campaign. Jack High earned the European-African-Middle Eastern Theater Campaign Medal, the Combat Infantryman’s Badge, the American Defense Service Medal and the American Theater Campaign Medal. Jack left the Army in 1945 and moved to Utah.After service Jack worked at the Naval Supply Depot at Clearfield, Utah as clerk general. He worked his way up to supervisor of the BuShips material section. He was then supervisor of the aviation section where he started flying private airplanes, a hobby he enjoyed the rest of his life.In 1949, Jack High started working as the supervisor of the Technical Sections Unit at the Clearfield Naval Depot. In 1950, he became supervisor of the Progress Section. Jack moved to Idaho in 1950 and in October of 1950, he became Chief of Inventory of the U.S. Atomic Energy in Idaho Falls, Idaho. In 1951, Jack went on to be Chief of Records, and in 1952, Property and Supply Assistant.Jack High worked for Phillips Petroleum as Records Officer supervisor in 1953. In 1956, he went on to be Assistant Branch manager of Phillips Petroleum. In 1956, he also started raising and training registered English Setter hunting dogs. In 1960, he started his registered Black Angus Ranch, The High Cienda, just north of Idaho Falls, Idaho. Jack considered The High Cienda one of his greatest accomplishments.In 1967 Jack High worked for Aerojet Nuclear, doing nuclear research and later Jack served as manager of community relations. In 1977 he worked for EG&G Idaho in Idaho Falls as senior communications specialist. EG&G became INEL and Jack High retired from INEL in 1982.After retirement Jack became a freelance photographer and was a lifetime member of the International Freelance Photographers Organization. He also trained individuals in investing and speaking.Jack High was engaged in Toastmaster International, an international speakers organization, starting in 1950. In 1977 The Idaho Falls Jack C. High Toastmasters Club, Club Number 1489-15, was formed and named after its many time awarded speaker. In 1985, Jack High founded a charitable trust fund for the Toastmasters Club.In 1953, Jack High was name a third degree Mason, Eagle Rock Lodge, Idaho Falls, Idaho. He was also a life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.In 1989 Jack moved to Logandale, Nevada where he enjoyed fishing, traveling around the country. He later moved into Las Vegas, Nevada.
Jack worked with the Fort Hall Indians for better conditions and better jobs. H also worked for women’s rights in Equal Pay for Equal Work. Jack was a personal friend of U.S. Senator Frank Church of Idaho. Jack was involved in community affairs and politics throughout his life. Jack was a life member of the Custer Battlefield Historical and Museum Association, Inc. in Montana and was involved in a historical dig on the battlefield. Jack was a life member of the Scott County historical society and a founder of the Commerce Historical Society and the Commerce Museum in Commerce, Missouri. Jack was a member of the Cooley Association, the Johnson County Historical Society in Illinois, and was a avid historian.Jack enjoyed good dancing music and loved to dance. Jack was an avid hunter and fisherman. He enjoyed going to Alaska, where he would travel the remote wilderness with his son, hunting, fishing and enjoying life. In 1990 Jack and his wife went to Christmas Island, 1500 miles south of Hawaii where they fished for bone fish. In 1995 Jack bought the old Dr. Blackledge home in Commerce, Missouri. Dr. Blackledge had delivered Jack High in 1921. Jack died at home September 22, 1998 in Commerce, Missouri, just a few feet away from where he was born. Jack Carson High is survived by his wife, Dixie Jane Johnson High. He is also survived by four children, Jack Carson High, Jr., Virginia; Judy Ann High Barney, Oregon; Dennis Dee High Barney, Oregon; Dennis Dee High, Alaska and Shauna Ruth High Gulso, Utah; five step-children, Alicia Jane Miss, Arizona; Don Wesley Moss, Idaho; Judy Lynn Moss Stott, Utah; Travis Lee Moss, Australia; Kristina Maria Moss Bybee, Idaho; fourteen grandchildren and one great-grandchild. He is also survived by one niece, Joan Roth, Aurora Illinois, and his ex-wife Erma High, Utah. He was preceded in death by his parents, Ambrose and Ruth Jane High and his sister, Mary Jeannette High Roth. Friends may call at the High RV Park on the Mississippi River from noon to 1:30 p.m. on Friday, September 25, 1998. Funeral service will follow immediately with Brad Collins and Rev. Jim King officiating. Entombment will be in the Memorial Park Cemetery Mausoleum in Cape Girardeau. All arrangements were handled by Ford & Sons Mt. Auburn Chapel, Cape Girardeau, Missouri. [Source: Southeast Missourian, Thursday, Sept. 24, 1998-5B; Submitted by Catherine Allison; Transcribed by Angelia Carpenter]
JOLLY, John C., farmer; born in Scott Co., Mo., Feb. 25, 1871; son of Isaac Bryant and Martha Jane (Dickerson) Jolly; received common school education; married Ann Boaz Nov. 23, 1890; member of Masons, I.O.O.F. and W.O.W.; Democrat; elected Tax Assessor of Weakley Co., Tenn., Aug., 1908, and is the present incumbent; began teaching vocal music in 1900, and is now President of the Weakley Co. Singing Convention; serving the fourth year; member of the M.E. church, South. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by K. Mohler]