Welcome to...
St. Charles County, Missouri

Forts

BOONES FORT
(1812 - 1815) Matson
Located in Darst's Bottom on Femme Osage Creek .A settlers' fort built by the son of the famous pioneer Daniel Morgan Boone with the help of his neighbors.
The fort was the largest and strongest in the district. The fort seems to have had two or three blockhouses. Daniel Morgan Boone's house was located within the fort.


CALLAWAYS FORT

(1812 - 1815) Marthasville
Little is known about the fort. Flanders Callaway built a log house near Charette, a French settlement that has long been washed away by the Missouri river.
Some historians believe that this two-story log house was part of Callaways Fort. his could possibly be a local militia fort built by the Missouri Rangers under 2nd Lt. James Callaway

CASTLIOS FORT
(1811 - 1815) near Weldon Spring
John Caslito built the fort on Howells prairie near the Dardenne creek.
It was a settlers fort located one and one-half miles from Howell's Fort on Howell's Prairie, near Dardenne Creek. Castlios Fort was not as large as Howells.
Located in the present day Busch Wildlife area.

COONTZS FORT
(1812 - 1815) Cottleville
A settlers' log fort built by Colonel John Coontz and his brother Nick Coontz in 1800, not much is known about the fort.
It was built on Boones Lick road, one and a half miles east of present-day Cottleville, Missouri. Coontzs fort became a tavern after the war. The site is marked as "Kountz Fort".


FEMME OSAGE FORT

(1812 - 1815) Mechanicsville
A settlers' fort.


FORT CHARETTE----(Historic Village and Museum)
(1790 - 1804) Washington
 An Anglo-American and Creole village called La Charette later grew around the old fort after 1804, but the site was later washed away by the river.
A recreation of a settlers' fur-trading post in Spanish Upper Louisiana. Admission fee.


FORT CLEMSON
(1812 - ????) St. Charles
Built by the Missouri Rangers in 1812, the fort was named in honor of Colonel Eli Brady Clemson. It was located on the Loutre Island, next to the Missouri River. Captain James Callaway spent a considerable amount of time at the fort during the war, and referred to it as Camp Clemson in letters to his wife. The only description of Fort Clemson calls it a "small, crude fort with barracks".


HOWELLS FORT

(1811 - 1815) Weldon Spring
Francis Howell built this fort in 1811. It was A settlers fort located on Howell's Prairie near Dardenne Creek and Weldon Spring in the present day Busch Wildlife area.
Militia musters and drills were held there frequently.


JACOB GROOMS FORT

(1814) near Big Spring
A settlers' fort located eight miles up the Loutre River from its mouth.


LOUTRE ISLAND FORTS

Loutre Island is located northeast of the present town of Hermann, Missouri. The island is located in the Missouri river basin.


McCOYS FORT

This fort is only mentioned once in records. I have found no other reference to it.


McDERMITS FORT
(1812 - 1815) near Big Spring ?
McDermits Fort was a settlers fort probably located several miles up the Loutre river from the other Loutre Island forts.
No exact location for the fort is known.


POND FORT

(1812 - 1815) near Wentzville
This fort consisted of a group of log homes in a square, south of a large pond. A local militia used this fort which is located on Dardenne Prairie, southwest of town.
This fort possibly still exists.


QUICKS FORT

Quicks Fort was located on the west side of the Loutre river, not far from its mouth, near Loutre Island. Little is known about this fort.


ROUND STONE FORT

(1690 - 1770's ?) St. Charles
A circular stone tower built of notched stone, 30-feet high and 30-feet in diameter, was once located at Third and Adams Streets.
Round Stone Fort was torn down after the Civil War.
Of unknown origin, it may have been built as early as 1690.


ST. CHARLES TRADING POST

(1769) St. Charles
A settlers trading post in early St Charles.

ST. CHARLES POST
(1804 - unknown) St. Charles
A Federal stockaded post located at the foot of Clay Street. Later used as a trading post. This site was destroyed in 1960 for a parking lot.


ZUMWALTS FORT

(1798 - ????) St. Charles
Jacob Zumwalt built the main saddle-bag log house in 1798. A spring was located at the bottom of the hill, below the house.
There were as many as ten families that lived at the fort during the War of 1812.

(c) 2006 Andrea Myers

 

Return to

St. Charles County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.