Towns of St. Francois, County

 

TOWNS

 

BISMARCK

     Bismarck in St. Francois county, was settled in I860 and incorporated twenty years later. Among its early settlers were C. Manlier, W. H. Evans, L. Sherrill, the Dent family, the Cooleys and the Matkins. The first merchants in the town wore Columbus Grider, Sims and Boss. The early importance of the town was due almost entirely to the construction of the Iron Mountain Railroad and its growth him depended principally upon the farming community in which it is situated and its railroad interests.

[source: History of Southeast Missouri 1912]

was a gift to St. Francois from Secret Santa 2013

BONNE TERRE

     The community was originally settled by the French in 1720 after lead ore was discovered. It was called La Bonne Terre, "the good soil." Bonne Terre was platted as a town in 1880

FARMINGTON

     The county seat of St. Francois county was located and surveyed as a town in February, 1822. It was located on land belonging to David Murphy, the site of the old Murphy settlement which was made about the year 1800. Murphy donated to St. Francois county fifty-two acres of land and the county appointed Henry Postom, John Andrew*. William Shaw, Mark Dent and William Alexander as commissioners to locate the seat of justice. The survey of the town was made by Henry Poston. The first store was opened in 1823 in a small log building on the west side of tube public square, by John D. Peers; later be removed to the east side of the square and in 1833 formed a partnership with M. P. Cayce. Among the other merchants at that time wore Henry W. Crowell and J. J. Brady; a saddlery shop was owned and managed by a Mr. Day. and the hotel was conducted by John Boaz. The town was incorporated as a village by order of the county court in 1856, with John Cobb and George W. Williams as trustees; William R. Taylor was city clerk. It was incorporated as a city of the fourth class in 1878, the first mayor being Alvin Rucker. The town grew slowly and deluded upon the farming community about it and also upon its possession of the county seat. At the breaking out of the war it had a population of about 500. At this time the principal merchants were M. P. Cayce, S. A. Douthitt & Son, Peers & Company, and Arnold & Rucker. The first grist mill was built in 1856 by M. P. Cayce and S. A. Douthitt; this mill, afterward enlarged and remodeled, was known as the Farmington roller mills. The town suffered considerable injury by the fact that the St. Louis & Iron Mountain Railroad was built at a distance of two and a half miles to the west, owing to the fact that the town refused to subscribe to the stock of the railroad. However, the injury to the town was neither serious nor permanent, and contrary to general expectation the business was not moved to the new town of DeLassus. The principal merchants in the period from 1880 to 1890 were Dalton & Marks. J. Krieger, S. S. Smith, Cole & Hackaday, M. Rosenthal, Simon J. Copson, Thomas Williams; general merchants. Orten & Davis, F. E. Klein & Company. S. C. Gosson and J. H. Waide; grocers. J. R. McCormick, Brad Robinson, A. Rucker and A. Parkhurst; druggist. Robert Tetlay; jeweler, C. E. Barroll; stationer. Lang & Brother; lumber dealers. Giessing Brothers, proprietors of the Farmington Roller mills. In 1887 the Bank of Farmington was organized, with A. Parkhurst as president and L. P. Cayce as cashier, with a capital stock of $15,000; it now has a capital of $50,000. The Farmers' Bank of Farmington was organized in April, 1904. and has a capital stuck of $35,000. The St. Francois County bank was organized in April, 1907, mid has a capital of $30,000. At the present time there are twelve general stores, two drug stores, two confectionery stores, three restaurants, one five- and ten-cent store, two express offices, one jewelry store, four barber shops, one book store mid three newspapers. The present manufacturing establishments are three wagon and buggy shops, three blacksmith shops, four lumber yards and one construction company. The town has a good system of electric lights and water works. The principal buildings are the court house, St. Francois hotel, the Realty building, the opera house and a high school building. The town now covers two and n half square miles and has a population of 2.800. Its assessed valuation is more than a million dollars. It is divided into four wards; there are eight aldermen. Hon. George M Wilson is mayor of the town.

[source: History of Southeast Missouri 1912]

was a gift to St. Francois from Secret Santa 2013

LlBERTYVILLE

     This village in St. Francois county is situated in the Cook settlement, one of the oldest communities in Southeast Missouri. It is six miles from Knoblick on the railroad and has a large flouring mill, a brick school building and a church.

[source: History of Southeast Missouri 1912]

was a gift to St. Francois from Secret Santa 2013

 

Back to St. Francois

Genealogy Trails History Group is a Volunteer Organization Dedicated to providing FREE access to Historical and Genealogical Data.

Debbie Gibson, Copyright 2006
IL Genealogy Trails and History Group!
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights
Reserved for Original Contributor