Welcome to...
St. Genevieve County, Missouri

Biographies
" C "

Judge Adolph P. Carron was born in Ste. Genevieve County, Mo., in 1844, and is the son of Joseph and Malanie Carron, who were born in 1809 and 1811, and died in 1884 and 1880, respectively. Of the ten children born to them eight are living. Adolph Carron was the ninth of the family. He was educated in the common schools, and in 1864 was united in marriage to Mary Lawrence, who was born in 1842, and became the mother of eight children: George, Phillomena, James, Emily, Julia, Louise, Andrew and Henry. Mr. Carron has always followed agricultural pursuits, and is a man of broad views. He has gained the confidence of many of his fellow citizens, and in 1886 was elected judge of the First District in Ste. Genevieve County, serving to the satisfaction of all. He owns 200 acres of land in Jackson Township, and he and family are members of the Roman Catholic Church. He is a Democrat in his political views.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Dr. Charles F. Carssow, physician, of Ste. Genevieve, was born in Ellrich, at the foot of the Broken Hartz Mountain, Germany, January 26, 1835, and is the son of Julius and Rosalie (Fischer) Carssow. The father was a district inspector of customs under the king of Prussia, and died on the island of Helgoland, a British possession, in 1844, being thirty-nine years of age. Charles F. was educated at various institutions in his native land, and when sixteen years of age he went to South America, where he spent some time in different cities and countries there. He returned to Germany, and in 1853 came to New Orleans, where he remained three years, and then came north to Iowa and Minnesota. In 1860 he came to St. Louis, resumed the study of medicine, which he had commenced at New Orleans. He attended lectures at St. Louis Medical College, from which he graduated on March 1, 1863. He served as assistant hospital surgeon in the United States Army. In the summer of 1863 he removed to New Offenburg, in Ste. Genevieve County, and began the practice of his profession, which he continued at that place, afterward removing from there to the city of Ste. Genevieve, where he has been ever since. In 1874 he established his present drug store at Ste. Genevieve. In 1863 he married Miss Annie Schwartz, of Ste. Genevieve County, and to this union were born ten children, seven sons and one daughter yet living. Dr. Carssow and family are members of the Lutheran Church. He was alderman and a member of the board of education, and has also been county physician for three years.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Jesse M. Coffman, another successful farmer and stock dealer of Ste. Genevieve County, and son of John and Jane (Lane) Coffman, was born April 23, 1851. John Coffman was born June 23, 1817, in Albemarle County, Va., and received a good English education. His father, Col. Joseph Coffman, came to Ste. Genevieve County, Mo., in 1832, and settled on a farm. He owned a tract of land and a large number of slaves. John was married in 1840, and settled on a farm in the Saline Creek bottom. He served two terms as judge of the county court, and was one of the leading men of the county. He was a very successful man in all business enterprises, owning, when the war broke out, about 4,000 acres of land in Ste. Genevieve County, and 119 slaves, besides a large tract of land in Scott County. His wife was born in Ste. Genevieve County, and by her marriage to Mr. Coffman became the mother of nine children: James W., John R., Frank E., Jesse M., Lucinda (wife of F.D. Bull), Ida M. (wife of R.V. Tillman), Joseph A., Jennie M. (wife of John Crowder), and Charles Y., who died in March, 1863. Jesse M. Coffman received a common school education, and attended the Washington University, at St. Louis. He graduated at Jones’ Commercial College, at St. Louis, and then went to Ironton, where he remained two years, engaged in the livery business. In 1881 he went to Texas, but returned the following year to his father’s home. He owns the original Coffman farm of 1,000 acres, and lives in the house built by his grandfather in 1839. He is farming on quite an extensive scale.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Caleb Cox was an early and prominent settler of Southeast Missouri. He was born on the 18th of February, 1787, in Orange County, Va. In 1812 he removed to New Orleans, La., where he engaged in business with his brother, Nathaniel Cox. In 1814 he was commissioned captain of militia, by Gov. Claiborne, of Louisiana, and participated in the battle of New Orleans, January 8, 1815. His company was posted behind breastworks made of cotton bales, the protection from which was so complete that the entire company emerged from the battle entirely unscathed, with the exception of one man killed by quite unnecessary exposure. In 1819 he ascended the Mississippi River as far as St. Louis, engaged in trading with towns on the river bank. Upon his return to New Orleans, in the spring of 1820, he was married to Louisa C. Heins, and directly afterward he returned to St. Louis, accompanied by his wife. He engaged in business at this place, then quite a small village, but only remained two years, when he removed to Fredericktown, Mo., where he remained till the time of his death. During his long residence at Fredericktown, he was engaged in merchandising, which was mostly carried on by barter. Furs, peltries, tallow, beeswax, dried venison, etc., taken in exchange for goods, were shipped to Philadelphia, where they were sold, and from the proceeds the stock was renewed. He was a man of prominence, and took an active part in measures calculated to advance the interest and promote the prosperity of the section of country where he resided. He represented his county twice in the State Legislature, and enjoyed the confidence and respect of his constituents. He died in October, 1852, regretted by a community among whom his lot had been cast for so many years.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Joshua B. Cox, M.D., a successful practitioner of Ste. Genevieve, Mo., was born in Fredericktown, Madison County, February 10, 1828, being the son of Caleb and Louisa C. (Heins) Cox, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. His education was limited to such schools as the village afforded, the principal of which was taught by D.M. Fox, father of the present judge of the Twenty-sixth Judicial Circuit, except a session attended at Cumberland University, at Lebanon, Tenn. He commenced the study of medicine in 1848, and attended the lectures of St. Louis University during the sessions of 1848-49 and 1849-50. During the epidemic of cholera which devastated St. Louis during the summer of 1849 he was stationed at the City Hospital, as an assistant, where he acquired valuable information. In 1850 he entered the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, from which he graduated with honor in the spring of 1851. During the summer of 1851 he located at Valle Mine, situated in St. Francois County, and soon built up an extensive and lucrative practice. In January, 1859, he was married to Catharine E., daughter of Robert T. Brown, and to them six children were born, four of whom are living. In 1880, after a country practice of twenty-nine years, he removed and settled at Ste. Genevieve, Mo., where he now resides. Robert T. Brown, father of the wife of Dr. Cox, was born in Tennessee, November 19, 1775. He immigrated to Ste. Genevieve County at the early date of 1804, and was a prominent citizen throughout a long residence here. June 1, 1807, he was married to Catherine Valli, the daughter of Francis Valli, Jr., the commander of the post of Ste. Genevieve, under Spanish regime. He was chosen a member of the convention that formed the original constitution of Missouri, and was twice elected to represent his country in the Legislature, and once as a member of the Senate. Generous, hospitable and chivalrous, his friends were as extensive as his acquaintance, for enemies he had none. He died January 14, 1846.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Hon. William F. Cox, postmaster at Ste. Genevieve, a native of Madison County, Mo., was born October 1, 1832, and is the son of Caleb and Louisa (Heins) Cox, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. They were married in New Orleans, and about the year 1820 they went to St. Louis, where Mr. Cox engaged in mercantile pursuits. About 1822 they removed to Fredericktown, and again engaged in merchandising. Here Mr. Cox died in 1852. William F. Cox remained with his parents until of age. He received a good public school education, and in 1852 engaged in clerking in New Orleans, which occupation he followed for some time. After the death of his father, he assumed control of the business which he conducted until 1861. Previous to this, in November, 1858, he married Miss Emily M. Janis, a native of Fredericktown, Mo., who bore him one child, a daughter, named Mary C. In 1863 Mr. Cox removed to Ste. Genevieve, and engaged in merchandising with Mr. Janis, under the firm name of Janis & Cox. This continued until 1874. In that year Mr. Cox was elected to the State Legislature, and was re-elected in 1879 and 1881. January 1, 1887, he was appointed postmaster at Ste. Genevieve. Eleven years previous to this he served as public administrator of the county, and also acted as county treasurer of the board of public education of the city of Ste. Genevieve, and is highly respected and widely known. He and family are members of the Catholic Church.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

 

Return to

St. Genevieve County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.