Welcome to...
St. Genevieve County, Missouri

Biographies
" D "

David Ditch was born in Illinois, in 1834, and is the son of William and Catherine Ditch, who were natives of Virginia. They were early residents of Illinois, and owned the land on which Waterloo now stands. David Ditch moved from Illinois to Missouri in 1869, where he purchased 300 acres of land. He was married to Elizabeth C. Fultz, who was born in Illinois in 1839, and by her became the mother of five children: Goforth J., Catherine, Price, Spurgeon and William. Mr. Ditch and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and he is a Democrat. Goforth J. Ditch was born in Waterloo, Ill., October 8, 1856, and came with his parents to Missouri. He was reared on the farm and educated in the common schools, and in 1875 began teaching school. This occupation he followed for eleven years, with exceptionally good success. In 1880 he was elected constable of Jackson Township, and after serving three months resigned, and in 1882 he was elected justice of the peace, and so well did he serve the people that he was re-elected in 1886, and holds the office at the present time. He was married February 28, 1881, to Miss Julia A. Hipes. He is one of the intelligent farmers of the county, and in his political views is a stanch Democrat.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Mrs. Augustus C. Dodge,
widow of the late Hon. Augustus C. Dodge, is a native of Ste. Genevieve, where she was born in 1819, June 30th, being the daughter of Joseph and Marcelite (de Villars) Hertich (for further particulars of parents, see sketch of Dr. Charles S. Hertich). Mrs. Dodge received a thorough education under the supervision of her father, and March 21, 1837, she was united in marriage to Hon. Augustus C. Dodge, afterward United States Senator from Iowa and minister to Spain. She spent about four years with her husband at Madrid. His death occurred November 20, 1883. He was born in Ste. Genevieve, Mo., January 2, 1812. To their union were born an interesting family of eight children, only two now living: Charles J., of Burlington, Iowa, where he is a prominent attorney and prosecuting attorney of Des Moines County, and William W., State senator of Iowa.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Charles F. and Jules C. Drury,
of the general merchandise firm of Drury & Co., of Bloomsdale, Mo., were born in Ste. Genevieve County, in 1857 and 1850 respectively. They are sons of Clem and Mary Drury, who were born respectively in St. Francois and Ste. Genevieve Counties. The former’s birth occurred in 1829 and the latter’s in 1830. They were parents of eleven children. Charles Drury was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. In 1885 he and his cousin, Dumas F. Drury, became partners in a general merchandise establishment in Bloomsdale, but at a later period Jules Drury purchased the cousin’s interest in the store, and the firm is now known as Drury & Co. They have erected a fine new business house and are doing a large and lucrative trade. Their annual sales amount to about $12,000. Charles Drury is unmarried. Jules was married in 1870 to Jane Hipes, and six children have blessed their union: Amos, Mary, Landra, Moses, Bertha and Peter. The Drury brothers have the exclusive control of the mercantile business at Bloomsdale and are men of strict integrity and of good business capacity.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

 

Return to

St. Genevieve County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.