Welcome to...
St. Genevieve County, Missouri

Biographies
" L "

Dr. Richard F. Lanning, a well known member of the medical fraternity of this county, was born in Sessex County, N.J., September 23, 1834, the son of David and Elizabeth (Pittinger) Lanning, both worthy people of New Jersey. In 1855 he came to the West and located in Jefferson County, Mo. One year later he began reading medicine with Drs. Bruce and Beverly of that county, but in 1861 he threw aside his books and enlisted in Hunter’s battalion of Missouri State Guards, Confederate States Army. Later he joined the Second Regiment Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, Confederate States Army, and served until the close of the war, having previously been commissioned captain of Company F. At the close of the war he returned to Jefferson County and resumed his medical studies and his former occupation, that of a teacher in the public schools. On March 13, 1869, he graduated at the St. Louis Medical College, St. Louis, Mo., and immediately after graduating he settled in Ste. Genevieve County, and in 1885 removed to the city of Ste. Genevieve. In 1870 he married Miss Elizabeth Gammel, and to them have been born three children. The family are members of the Catholic Church, and Mr. Lanning is a Democrat in politics.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

J.B.C. LeCompte, general superintendent of the Cone Mills, at Ste. Genevieve, was born August 31, 1837, and is the son of Eloy and Melanie (Bogy) LeCompte. Eloy LeCompte was born in Prairie du Rocher, Ill., December 1, 1806, and is a descendant of the early French settlers of that region. His wife was born in Ste. Genevieve, March 17, 1811. They were married in 1832, and to them were born eight children – six sons and two daughters. The father, after locating in Ste. Genevieve, engaged in merchandising with his father-in-law in that city, and later became the sole proprietor and owner of the business, remaining as such for many years. In 1856 he erected the Cone Mills, and continued in the milling business until 1869, when he retired from active business life. He has held various positions of honor and trust, among which may be mentioned his services as sheriff and collector, county judge, treasurer and probate judge, serving in all about thirty-six years. J.B.C. LeCompte was the third child born to his parents, and remained with them until his marriage. In 1852 he entered the St. Louis University, where he remained for some time. After his father erected the Cone Mills he became his assistant, and has since continued in the mill. In 1862 he married Mrs. Kate Hoffman, a native of Ste. Genevieve, and a daughter of James and Mary (Gregoire) Hoffman, who were of German and French descent. The result of the union of Mr. and Mrs. LeCompte was the birth of nine children, of whom three sons and five daughters are now living. In 1881, when the mill became the property of M. Borgess & Co., Mr. LeCompte was appointed general superintendent, which position he still holds. He is a Democrat in politics, is a member of the Catholic Church, and has served as mayor of Ste. Genevieve twice. He has also been a member of the board of aldermen.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Emile C. Lelie, junior member of the saddlery house of H. Lelie & Son, was born in Ste. Genevieve, Mo., March 13, 1855, and is the son of Herman and Alida (Van Vain) Lelie. Herman Lelie is a native of Holland, born at Goringhan, April 26, 1815. He learned the saddlery trade of his father, and in 1840 he was united in marriage to Miss Alida Van Vain, also a native of Holland. To them were born two sons, Herman, now in St. Louis, and Emile C., whose name is given above. In 1849 Mr. Lelie came to America, locating in St. Louis, Mo., where he followed his trade until 1854, when he came to Ste. Genevieve, and has followed his trade in this place ever since. He was elected judge of the county court in 1870, and held that position for twelve years. He is a well-known and highly respected citizen. Emile C. Lelie grew to manhood in the home of his parents, and learned the saddlery trade of his father. In 1875 he married Miss Catherine M. Schumert, a native of Ste. Genevieve, and to their union were born four children. In 1885 he was elected to the position of alderman of the city of Ste. Genevieve, which he has held to the present date.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Daniel and Joseph Loida, of the general merchandise firm of Loida Bros., of Lawrenceton, Mo., were born in St. Louis, September 15, 1848, and April 30, 1861, respectively. They are the sons of Albert and Anna (Woracheck) Loida, natives of Austria. The father was born in the city of Dolan, Bohemia, February 25, 1821, and, like his father before him, was a weaver by trade. At the age of seventeen years he left his native place and traveled in various places in Austria, and at the end of seven years returned home, where he was married on the 4th of November, 1845, to Anna Woracheck, who was born May 16, 1823. The fruits of their union were eight children, five of whom are living: Daniel, Joseph, William, Anna and Josephine. In 1847 Mr. Loida came to America, landing in St. Louis the 4th of July, and worked at various callings until the breaking out of the war, when he joined the three months’ service, and at the expiration of his term enlisted for three years. In 1863 he came to Ste. Genevieve, where he followed agricultural pursuits until his death, September 1, 1884. His wife is still living. Daniel F. Loida was educated in St. Louis, and in 1881 began teaching school in this county. August 25, 1874, he was married to Madeline Ritter, a native of the county, born November 7, 1854, and by her is the father of seven children: Mary, Frank, Daniel L., Leo, Henry, Catherine and Edward. These children were born as follows: Mary, July 18, 1875; Frank, August 1, 1877; Daniel L., April 17, 1879; Leo, May 31, 1881; Henry, August 13, 1883; Catherine, February 14, 1886, and Edward, March 24, 1888. In 1887 he became a partner with his brother in the mercantile business. Joseph Loida was reared on a farm, and on May 25, 1886, married Mary Uhrich, born in 1861. In September of 1887 he purchased, with his brother, their present general merchandise store, which has been carried on with remarkable success to the present time. Mr. Loida is also postmaster of Lawrenceton. The family are members of the Roman Catholic Church.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.


 

Return to

St. Genevieve County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.