Welcome to...
St. Genevieve County, Missouri

Biographies
" M "


Edward L. McClanahan was born in the county where he now resides in 1851. He is the son of Madison and Virginia McClanahan, who were born in Missouri and Virginia in 1812 and 1811 respectively. They were the parents of ten children, three of whom are living. Edward L. was educated in the common schools, and has always resided on a farm. He is the owner of 167 acres of land, and is one of the prosperous farmers of the county. In 1875 he united his fortunes with those of Emma Bitticks, who is a native of the county, born in 1850. They have five living children: William H., Thomas S., Bertha A., Henry E. and Clarence E. Mr. McClanahan is a Democrat in his political views.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler

McHENRY, WILLIAM, member people's national committee for Louisiana, was born in 1840 in St. Genevieve county, Mo. He was educated in the public schools of his native state and at St. Genevieve academy of Missouri. He is a successful farmer of Pawnee. La. In 1904 he was appointed a member of the people's national committee of Louisiana; and resides in Pawnee, La.
[Source: Herringshaw's American Statesman and Public Official Yearbook: 1907-1908; By Thomas William Herringshaw; Publ. 1909; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

Mrs. Augustine Menard, widow of the late Louis C. Menard, and a daughter of Augustus and Felicity Desile LeClere (see sketch of Capt. Gustavus St. Gem), is a native of Ste. Genevieve, where she was born April 23, 1822. She was educated at the Convent of the Visitation, at Kaskaskia, Ill. October 15, 1845, at the age of twenty-three, she was united in marriage to Louis C. Menard. Mr. Menard was a native of Kaskaskia, Ill., born March 2, 1819, and was the fourth son of the late Col. Pierre Menard, who came from Canada, and settled in Kaskaskia, Ill., about the year 1795, where he afterward became a leading and influential citizen and lieutenant-governor of Illinois. Louis C. Menard was educated at Mount St. Mary’s College, at Emmettsburg, Md., from which institution he graduated. He then read law in the office of Bevely Allen, of St. Louis, and was admitted to the bar in 1842, but, having no taste for the legal profession, he did not practice it. Had he done so, many of those who knew him best are confident in their belief that he would have become famous as one of the ablest attorneys of the country. He was a man of unimpeachable character, a philanthropist seeking the good and welfare of his fellow men. It may truly be said that he had no enemies. He died at Ste. Genevieve June 2, 1870, leaving a widow and six children. He was a man universally esteemed and respected. To Mr. and Mrs. Menard were born ten children, six still living. Mrs. Menard now resides at her pleasant home in the town of Ste. Genevieve, and is living in the house built by her great-grandfather, Vital St. Gem de Beauvais, and in its rooms have gathered the descendants representing six generations of the family. Mrs. Menard is a woman of wonderful memory, and is perhaps, the best posted person, regarding the history of this country, of any one now living. She is pleasing in her conversation, and can relate many valuable and interesting anecdotes of the early history of Ste. Genevieve. She has in her possession many valuable papers treasured as family heirlooms, dating back two centuries. She is well known to the historical societies of Chicago, Wisconsin and St. Louis, having furnished them much valuable information. Her family are devoted Catholics, and are well known and highly respected.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Ferdinand N. Moser, quarryman and manufacturer of lime, is own of remarkable and inexhaustible quarries of oolitic limestone, situated about two miles southwest of the city of Ste. Genevieve, where, for thirty-one years, he has been engaged in the manufacture of lime celebrated for its purity. Much of this stone, which is of snow-white beauty, he ships to St. Louis, where it is used in the manufacture of soda water, and a considerable portion to Crystal City, to be utilized in the manufacture of plate glass. He is quite successful at the business, and gives employment to about twenty-five men daily, during the year. He is the son of Pierre Moser and Louise (Mestle) his wife, both born in Alsace, France, July 12, 1785, and June 12, 1800, respectively. Pierre Moser was an expert gunsmith and locksmith. He immigrated to the United States about the year 1830, and settled at Kaskaskia, Ill., the same year. Thence he moved to Ste. Genevieve County, Mo., where he purchased 125 acres of land, being among the first settlers of the county who came directly from Europe. Here he passed the remainder of his days, dying July 31, 1863. His wife died October 15, 1878. They had twelve children, six of whom, now living, are Catherine, the widow of Pantaleon Vogt; Magdalen, the wife of Peter Thomure; Louise, the widow of F. Anton Kempf; Ferdinand N.; Virginia, the wife of Peter Grassmuck, and Felix P. Mr. Ferdinand N. Moser was the fourth child of this marriage. He was educated at Ste. Genevieve. From the age of nineteen years he has been engaged at his present business. During the war he served in the State militia, and at the close of hostilities was discharged at Ironton, Mo. In 1865 he was married to Miss Maggie Gerard, of Dubuque, Iowa. She was born in 1848, and was a daughter of Reuben Gerard. The fruits of this union were three children: Edward, Evariste A. (deceased) and Alice. Mr. Moser is a member of the Catholic Church, and in politics is a Cleveland Democrat.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Edward Mueller, head miller at the Cone Mills, at Ste. Genevieve, and son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Meyer) Mueller, was born in Madison County, Ill., October 26, 1851. Joseph Mueller was a native of Baden, Germany, and came to America in 1835. He located in Madison County, Ill., engaged in farming, and later engaged in the milling business at Lebanon, Ill., which occupation he had followed in his native country. He resided at Lebanon until his death, which occurred October 2, 1872, at the age of sixty-one years. Edward Mueller is the fifth of a family of seven children, three sons and two daughters now living. They are named as follows: Theresa, married Louis Wasem and died in 1867; Elizabeth, widow of Conrad Sauter, died at Lebanon, Ill.; Josephine, now Mrs. Joseph Bold of Trenton, Ill.; Christian, who died in 1887; Edward, whose name heads this sketch; Oswald, a merchant at Glasgow, Ky., and Joseph, of Moline, Ill. Edward remained at home until after he became of age and learned his father’s trade. He spent some time at his profession in Minnesota, and returned to Lebanon, where he remained until 1883, when he came to Ste. Genevieve to accept the position of second miller in the Cone Mills. He was afterward promoted to his present position. In 1881, while at Lebanon, he married Miss Elizabeth Schwab, a native of Lebanon and a daughter of Thomas and Catherine (Mueller) Schwab. To them were born three children – two sons and a daughter. Mr. Mueller is one of the inventors of a patent adjustable feed-roller for mills, which is destined to become one of the necessities of the milling trade.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

 

Return to

St. Genevieve County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.