Welcome to...
St. Genevieve County, Missouri

Biographies
" N "

Louis Naumann, county collector for Ste. Genevieve County, Mo., was born in the town of Wetter, Kreis Marburg, Kursessen, July 4, 1842, and is the son of Christian and Elizabeth (Junk) Naumann. The father came to America in 1850 and settled in Philadelphia, where, three years later, his family came. In 1855 they removed to Ste. Genevieve, Mo., where the father followed his trade of butcher, which occupation he followed until his death. Louis Naumann learned his father’s trade, and in 1865 he established a meat market at Ste. Genevieve which he still conducts. In 1865 he married Miss Rosa Haug, a native of St. Louis, Mo., who came to Ste. Genevieve with her parents when a child. This union resulted in the birth of thirteen children, nine of whom are living. In 1880 he was elected sheriff of the county, and re-elected in 1882. In 1886 he was elected to his present position, that of county collector. The family are members of the Catholic Church, and are universally respected.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Dr. William P. Newman, a successful practitioner of Coffman, was born August 19, 1836, in Henderson County, Ky., and is the son of Thomas K. and Elizabeth E. (Powell) Newman. Thomas K. was born in Henderson County, Ky., March 13, 1795, and obtained a good literary education. He was married in 1826, located near the Highland Salt Works in Henderson County, and here was engaged in farming and stock raising, owning a large farm of 700 acres, 150 under cultivation. He was a colonel in the State militia a number of years. He at one time owned a number of slaves, and although he was a Southern man in principle he did not believe in slavery. He died in 1872. His wife was a daughter of Willoughby Powell, who was of Henderson County, Ky., born in 1808. To their marriage were born nine children, only five now living: Dr. William P., Willoughby P., Dr. Van Buren, John J. and Nancy M. (wife of H.H. Hancock). Mrs. Newman died in 1883 at the home of her son, Dr. Van Buren Newman. William P. Newman received his literary education in the common schools of Kentucky, and grew to manhood on the farm. When a small boy he was very desirous to study medicine, and in the summer of 1854 he began reading with Dr. George W. Campbell, of Carlow, Ky. In the fall of 1856 he entered the medical department of the University of Louisville, Ky. He began practicing in St. Francisville, Stoddard Co., Mo., in December, 1858, and remained there until the breaking out of the late war, when he removed to Patterson, Wayne Co., Mo., and in 1860 married Miss Harriet F. Spillman of Greensburg, Ky., born January 19, 1847. One child, William T., was born to this union March 29, 1866. He enlisted in the fall of 1862 as a surgeon of Maj. Dye’s battalion, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate States Army), and a short time afterward was transferred to the Twelfth Missouri Regiment as assistant surgeon. He participated in the battle of Prairie Grove, Ark., after which he was transferred to a cavalry regiment as surgeon, and took part in the battles of Boonville, Westport and others. He was with the regiment during Price’ raid through Missouri, Arkansas and Texas, and surrendered at the navy yard at the mouth of White River, Ark., in April, 1865, and went to his old home at Dickson, Ky., to visit his parents. Here he met his wife, and remained there engaged in the practice of his profession in company with Dr. F.J. Holman until October, when he located at Fredericktown, Madison Co., Mo., and after remaining a short time he went to Perryville. Here he formed a partnership with Dr. Reuben Shelby, and in 1870 he located at Columbus, Johnson County, and continued to practice his profession. In 1877 he located at Perryville, and in 1881 formed a partnership with Thomas L. Phillips in the drug business, but five years later he sold his interest in the store and located at Coffman, Ste. Genevieve Co., Mo., where he has a fine practice. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, also the A.O.U.W., and his family are members of the Catholic Church.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

 

Return to

St. Genevieve County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.