Welcome to...
St. Genevieve County, Missouri

" O "

Andrew Oberle, blacksmith at Lawrenceton, is a native of Baden, Germany, born May 1, 1858. His parents, Bernhard and Mary (Lipp) Oberle, were also natives of Baden, born in 1811 and 1813, and died November 18, 1884, and February 19, 1881, respectively. The father was a shingle maker in the old country, but after coming to the United States in 1866 followed the occupation of farming. He and wife were the parents of seven children, six of whom are living: Andrew, Frank, Joseph, Paul, William and Mary. Andrew Oberle attended school both in Germany and America, the greater portion of his education being acquired in the United States. He worked on a farm while a boy, and at the age of sixteen years became apprenticed to the trade of blacksmithing. He served in this capacity for about two and a half years, and then worked at that trade in Farmington, St. Louis and Ste. Genevieve. He then purchased a shop in Lawrencton April 20, 1879, where he has proved a successful and enterprising business man. He was married May 3, 1881, to Clara Staab, who is a native of the county, born August 13, 1859. She is the mother of three children: Henry, born January 8, 1882; Louisa, born March 14, 1885, and Matilda, born January 30, 1887. The family are members of the Roman Catholic Church. Paul Oberle, brother of Andrew, was born in Baden, Germany, on June 28, 1848, and there received his education. He was married in 1873 to Lena Buckencamp. She was born July 1, 1854. By her he is the father of seven children. These children were born as follows: Andrew, December 23, 1874; Mary, December 25, 1876; Clara, August 13, 1880; Lawrence, September 1, 1882; Robert, October 18, 1883; Pauline, November 4, 1885, and Bernhard, 1884. Mr. Oberle is the owner of a good farm, and he and family are members of the Roman Catholic Church.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Louis Obuchon, farmer and stock raiser, was born in St. Francois County, Mo., May 2, 1835, and is the son of Francis and Judith (Calliot) Obuchon. Francis Obuchon was born in Ste. Genevieve County, March 9, 1791, and received a fair education in French. He served in the War of 1812 and in the Black Hawk War, and in 1816 he married the widow of B. Pratte, settled at New Bourbon, and here followed farming a number of years. His wife died in 1831, and in 1832 he married Miss Judith Calliot, a native of Fredericktown, Madison Co., Mo. Her great-grandfather came to America with Lafayette to fight for American independence and remained here afterward. From him sprang all the Calliots in America, so far as is known. Mrs. Obuchon’s father came to Ste. Genevieve County when a young man, and afterward located in Fredericktown. To Mr. and Mrs. Obuchon were born five children: Louis, Peter, Matilda B., Louisa (wife of Charles Green) and Frank. Louis Obuchon attended the schools at Ste. Genevieve County, and remained with his parents until eighteen years of age, when he started for California in 1853, driving cattle for La Grove & Bogy. He arrived at the terminus in October of the same year and remained there three years, mining most of the time. In 1856 he was attacked with rheumatism and came home by way of the Isthmus. He reached home September 25, and in 1858 married Lucinda Perry, of Ste. Genevieve County, located on a farm in Scott County. In 1861 he returned to Ste. Genevieve County, and again engaged in farming. In 1867 he moved to his father’s farm, his parents making their home with him. His wife was born April 10, 1841, and by her marriage became the mother of eight children: Frank, Louisa (wife of G.W. Kelly), Charles, John, Edmund, Ella, Louis, Jr., and Eliza. Mr. Obuchon has an excellent farm of 280 acres, and he and family are members of the Catholic Church.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Henry Okenfuss, one of Ste. Genevieve’s prominent business men and dealer in hardware, stoves, tinware, queensware, etc., is a native of Ste. Genevieve, and was born February 21, 1861, being the son of Max M. and Barbara (Harter) Okenfuss, both natives of Germany. They came to America about 1847, and were married at Ste. Genevieve. The father was a carpenter and builder by occupation, and died in Ste. Genevieve in 1881 at the age of sixty-four. The mother is still living and is fifty-eight years of age. Of a family of eleven children Henry Okenfuss is the fourth child. At the age of twelve years he began to learn the tinner’s trade under the instruction of Carl A. Mueller. In 1881 he went to Memphis, Tenn., worked for A. Kohlbry several years, and was engaged in business in Ripley, Miss., up to 1886. In 1886 he returned to Missouri, settled in Ste. Genevieve, and here established his present business. He has a good trade and is doing well. Mr. Okenfuss is a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Catholic Church.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

John O’Shea is a stone dealer, and was born in Virginia in 1840. He is a son of James and Margaret (Welch) O’Shea, who were both natives of Ireland, the former born in 1800. In 1838 he came to America and landed in Philadelphia, where he learned the stone cutter’s trade, and followed it until his death in 1866, at Richmond, Va. The mother died also in Richmond in 1876. Of their seven children only two are living: John and James. John was educated in Virginia, and learned the stone cutter’s trade, which he followed for years. He finally located in Missouri, where he has a fine quarry about four miles from Ste. Genevieve. In 1871 he married Ellen Lally, of Chester County, Penn. She was born on the banks of the Brandywine, and is a daughter of Frank Lally. She was educated at Keokuk, Iowa, where he parents moved when she was but four years of age. Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. O’Shea, but only four are now living: Thomas, John, Ellen and James. Mr. O’Shea served four years and nine months in the Confederate army during the late war, and was a participant in the following battles: Manassas Gap, Williamsburg, siege of Richmond, the second battle of Manassas, Harper’s Ferry, Antietam, Wilderness, Cold Harbor and Fredericksburg. He held the rank of captain, and during his entire service only received two wounds. He surrendered with Lee, and after the war went to Philadelphia to see a sister. After remaining there for some time he went to Keokuk, Iowa, and there helped to construct a bridge over the Mississippi River. Mr. O’Shea met and married his wife at this place. He came to Missouri, and from his fine stone quarry has been taken stone for some of the finest buildings in the United States. He is a Democrat, and a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.


Return to

St. Genevieve County


Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.