Welcome to...
St. Genevieve County, Missouri

Biographies
" W "

Nicholas Wehner, a well known and prosperous citizen of Ste. Genevieve, and son of John G. and Flora (Miller) Wehner, was born in Hesse Futda, Germany, May 30, 1825. John G. Wehner and wife were both natives of Germany, and the father was a farmer by occupation. He died at the age of ninety-three and the mother at the age of sixty-three. In 1847 Nicholas Wehner married Miss Clara Schneider, a native of Germany, and they came to America the same year. Of the six children born to this union four are now living. Mr. Wehner, after landing at Baltimore, proceeded at once to Louisville, Ky., from which city, in the fall of the year, he removed to Cape Girardeau, Mo. From here he removed to Pilot Knob, Mo., in 1848. Five years later he removed to Ste. Genevieve County on business for the Iron Mountain Company, and in 1860 he moved into the city of Ste. Genevieve, where he began business for himself by establishing a lumber yard and grocery store which he still continues. In politics he affiliates with the Republicans, and he and family are members of the Catholic Church.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

George Wehner, senior member of the firm of Wehner & Bolle, proprietors of the City Mills, at Ste. Genevieve, Mo., is a native of Missouri, born at Pilot Knob, April 28, 1850, and is the son of Nicholas and Clara (Schneider) Wehner, of whom a complete sketch is given elsewhere. George Wehner, at the age of fifteen, began working in the Cone Mills at Ste. Genevieve, where he remained until 1883. The same year the firm of Wehner & Bolle was organized, and they at once began the erection of the City Mills, in which they began working in October of the same year, and where they have been doing a good and profitable business. In 1873 Mr. Wehner chose for his companion in life Miss Thresa Vaeth, a native of Ste. Genevieve, and the result of this union was the birth of seven children – two sons and five daughters. Mr. Wehner is a stanch Republican in his political views, and he and family are members of the Catholic Church.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Joseph Weiler, senior member of the firm of Weiler & Steigle, manufacturers of harness and saddlery at Ste. Genevieve, and son of Anton and Saloma (Dozk) Weiler, was born in Ste. Genevieve Township, March 7, 1851. The parents were natives of Germany, and came to America in 1845, settling in Ste. Genevieve Township, where the father engaged in agricultural pursuits. Both are still living in this township, and both are in their seventy-fifth year. They were married in their native country about the year 1837, and reared a family of twelve children – seven sons and five daughters. Joseph Weiler was the sixth child born to his parents. At the age of fourteen he began learning the harness maker’s trade in Ste. Genevieve with a Mr. Dover. In September, 1872, he began business for himself, and November 25, 1875, he married Miss Caroline Huck, a native of Ste. Genevieve and a daughter of Florian and Mary U. (Fisher) Huck. To Mr. and Mrs. Weiler were born four children – three sons and one daughter – of whom but one son is now living. In 1885 the firm of Weiler & Steigle was established, and they are now doing a fairly large business. Mr. Weiler is Democratic in his political views, and the family worship at the Catholic Church.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Rev. Father F.X. Weiss, pastor at the church at Ste. Genevieve, which position he has held for more than twenty-three years, is a native of Alsace, Germany, born July 17, 1821. His parents, Francis X. and Eliza (Thoman) Weiss, were both natives of Alsace, Germany. Francis X., whose name heads this sketch, suffered the loss of his father when a mere child, and after attaining sufficient age he entered the seminary at Alsace. At the age of eighteen he determined to fit himself for the priesthood, and at once entered upon his studies at the seminary at Alsace. In 1847 he came to America, landing in New York on the 19th of June, and at once proceeded to St. Louis, visiting on his way the stations at Baltimore and Philadelphia. He arrived in St. Louis Sunday, July 4, 1847, and resumed his studies at St. Vincent’s Theological Seminary in that city. Finishing his studies he was ordained to the priesthood April 23, 1848. His first parish was St. Joseph’s Church in Ste. Genevieve County. Here he remained over fourteen years. From there he was sent to River Aux Vases parish in Ste. Genevieve County. March 1, 1865, he assumed his duties at the city of Ste. Genevieve, where he has since resided. He is probably one of the best known priests in this part of the country.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

John W. Whitt, farmer, and an influential citizen of Union Township, Ste. Genevieve Co., Mo., was born in Southeast Ohio, Jackson County, in 1837. He is a son of Edward and Virginia Elizabeth (Faulkner) Whitt. Edward Whitt was born in Greenbrier County, Va., grew to manhood on the farm, and after marriage located in Jackson County, Ohio. They were the parents of thirteen children, eleven now living: William, Andrew, Nancy (deceased, Mrs. James Silrey), Margaret (deceased, Mrs. Gabriel Silrey), James, Sarah (Mrs. Cuppet, of Ohio), John W., Mary Ann (who was twice married, her first husband being a Mr. Andrews, and the second a Mr. Taylor), Isabella (Mrs. Miller), Edward, George, Robert H. and Ella A. (Mrs. John Warren). John W. was the seventh child born to this marriage. He was educated in Ohio, and engaged in agricultural pursuits when a young man. He moved to Chillicothe, Mo., from there farther north, and from there to Southeast Missouri, where he settled in Ste. Genevieve County in 1865. He here purchased eighty acres, and afterward traded it for the homestead of 120 acres. He was married in 1869 to Mrs. Angeline Williams, of St. Francois County. She is the daughter of William Clay. To this marriage were born six children: Laura A., Arabella, Viola, Gordon, Luman and Hoyt. Mrs. Whitt had previously married Mr. Williams, by whom she had one child, George W. Mr. Whitt served in the three months’ call for troops in 1861, and was discharged at Athens, Ohio. He is a Republican in politics, and was twice appointed district clerk.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

William W. Wilder, senior member of the firm of Wilder Bros., general merchants at Ste. Genevieve, was born in that city December 13, 1857, and is the son of Peter and Ludwina (Klein) Wilder, both natives of Germany. Peter Wilder left his home at the age of twelve and began life for himself. He first went to South America, and after remaining there until 1854 he came to the United States and settled in Ste. Genevieve, where he engaged in the grain business. Later he engaged in steamboating on the Mississippi River. After this he established a mercantile business, and then an agricultural warehouse. He died February 18, 1880, at the age of fifty-five years. The mother is still living, and is fifty-one years of age. William W. Wilder went to Belmont County, Ohio, where he engaged in the machinist’s trade at Martin’s ferry. Here he remained until 1879, when he returned to Ste. Genevieve, and took charge of his father’s business, the present firm being established September 1, 1883. Previous to this (1881) he was elected a member of the board of public education, and re-elected in 1885. He also served two years as city treasurer, and in 1886 he was elected treasurer of Ste. Genevieve County, which position he is still holding. May 23, 1888, he was united in marriage to Miss Sophia M. Rottler, a daughter of Valentine and Mary (Iseman) Rottler. (See sketch.)
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Frederick Wunning, of Union Township, and proprietor of the old Turley grist, carding and saw mills, was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1842. He secured a fair education in the old country, and learned milling and millwrighting. In 1866 he landed in St. Louis, and worked at his trade in that city, and also traveled through the west as far as California, until in 1876 he rented the Rock Haven Mills, Ste. Genevieve, for three years, after which he purchased the property he now owns. Mr. Wunning was twice married; his first union being with Miss Theresa Rotte, of this county. She died at the end of a brief marriage period of about fifteen months, leaving a baby boy, and in 1879 he married Miss L. Krauch, his present wife, who became the mother of three children. Mr. Wunning is a good Republican in politics, and was appointed postmaster under President Arthur’s administration.
Source: History of Southeast Missouri (1888). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

 

Return to

St. Genevieve County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.