Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" B "

Sara Lord BaileyBAILEY, Mrs. Sara Lord, elocutionist and teacher of dramatic elocution, born in Tottington, near Bury, England, 9th September, 1856. She is the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Lord, her parents bringing her to the United States the year following her birth and making their home in Lawrence, Mass., where they now reside. She early showed a fondness and talent for dramatic elocution, and it was developed by her participation in amateur plays given in Lawrence under the auspices of the Grand Army posts. She was educated in the Oliver grammar school, passing thence to Lasell Seminary, Auburndale, Mass., where she studied two years. She afterwards studied under the best teachers of elocution in Boston, and was graduated in 1888 from the Boston School of Oratory. A few years ago she was married to Elbridge E. Bailey, and in 1882 to benefit Mr. Bailey’s health they went to the Sandwich Islands where they lived for nearly two years. They were present at the coronation ceremonies of the king and queen in Iolani palace, 12th February, 1883. In 1884 they returned to the United States, and Mr. Bailey went into business in St. Louis, Mo., where Mrs. Bailey taught elocution most successfully in the Mission School for the Blind. They afterwards removed to Kansas City, where Mr. Bailey has built up a flourishing business. Mrs. Bailey for some time taught elocution and voice-culture in the school of oratory there, but was obliged to return to Massachusetts on account of her failing health. She is devoted to her profession, having several large classes in elocution in Lawrence, besides fulfilling engagements to read in various cities.
(American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Volume 1, Publ. 1897.  Transcribed by Marla Snow)


Henry A. BakerHenry A. Baker, a St. Louis lawyer, is one of the substantial citizens that the Empire state has furnished to Missouri. His birth occurred at Webster, New York, August 3, 1867, his parents being Charles J. and Mary Anna (Wiedmann) Baker, both of whom were natives of Germany and came to the new world in 1848, prior to their marriage. Charles J. Baker settled at Webster, New York, and there continued to make his home until his death, which occurred May 14, 1895, when he had reached the age of seventy-six years. He followed agricultural pursuits throughout his entire life and was very successful. It was in the Empire state that he wedded Mary Anna Wiedmann and to them were born five children, four sons and a daughter, but the daughter is now deceased.
Henry A. Baker was the fourth in order of birth in his father's family. He was educated in the district schools of Webster and in the Union school there, after which he attended the New York State Normal School at Geneseo, from which he was graduated. For his university course he entered Tale at New Haven and was there graduated in 1895, winning the Master of Arts degree. He prepared for the practice of law in the St. Louis Law School and in 1897 the LL. B. degree was conferred upon him. In 1895 Mr. Baker came to St. Louis and taught school in the Smith Academy, during which period he devoted his leisure hours to reading law, being admitted to the courts in June, 1897, as a member of the bar. He has engaged in general practice and since 1898 has given his undivided attention to his professional duties. Stimulated by a laudable ambition he has constantly worked his way upward and his clientage is now of an important character.
While America was at war with Germany he was assistant on the legal advisory board to men who were enlisting. His political support is given to the republican party and during President Taft's administration he was supervisor of census at St. Louis through the appointment of the president. He belongs to the University Club and is a member of Anchor Lodge, No. 443, A. P. & A. M., while in the Scottish Rite he has attained the fourteenth degree. He is a loyal follower of the craft and it is his purpose to take the higher degrees which will make him a Consistory Mason. For a quarter of a century he has been a resident of St. Louis and since his admission to the bar has made steady progress along professional lines, where advancement depends entirely upon individual merit and ability. He belongs, to the St. Louis Bar Association and is also a member of the Phi Delta Phi.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Andrew C. Barnett, general passenger and ticket agent for the Terminal Railroad Association at St. Louis, was born on the 18th of August, 1872, in the city which is still his home. His father, the late Andrew C. arnett, was a native of Virginia and a representative of one of the old families of that state of English and French lineage. The father was for a quarter of a century connected with the St. Louis police department and was ever a stanch supporter of the democratic party, giving unfaltering allegiance to its principles and doing everything in his power to promote its success. He married Nannie Carver, a native of Kentucky, and descended from English ancestry. Both have now passed away, the mother's death occurring in 1887, while the father died in 1904 at the age of fifty-one years. They were the parents of seven children, six sons and a daughter.
Andrew C. Barnett of this review was the eldest of the family and was educated in the public schools of St. Louis, but his opportunities in that direction were somewhat limited for he started out to provide for his own support when a lad of but fourteen years. He was first employed in clerical lines in the passenger department of the St. Louis ft Southwestern Railroad, known as the Cotton Belt, there continuing for about a year. He next became connected with the Terminal Railroad Company as a clerk and from that position has steadily worked his way upward through various departments until he has reached the place which he now fills, having been called thereto on the 2d of June, 1919. He has made an excellent record and his business qualifications are thoroughly adequate to the heavy responsibilities and duties that now devolve upon him.
In 1901, in Carrollton, Illinois, Mr. Barnett was united in marriage to Miss Maude E. Finch, a native of Jerseyville, Illinois, and to them has been born a daughter, Mildred Barnett, whose birth occurred in St. Louis, June 21, 1903. The parents have many friends throughout the city and they are members of the Bowman Methodist Episcopal church, the teachings of which guide their lives in all their varied relations.
In political affairs Mr. Barnett is a republican where national questions and issues are involved, but in local elections casts an independent ballot. He keeps well informed on all the questions and issues of the day and is able to support his position by intelligent argument He has membership in George Washington Lodge, No. 9, A. F. ft A. M. and is a consistent follower of the craft He belongs to the St. Louis Railroad Club, and to the Ticket Agents Association and the major part of his time and attention are devoted to his business and his home. Early in his career he recognized the fact that industry and faithfulness are essential and indispensable elements to success, and his loyalty to the company which he has served, his laudable ambition and the thoroughness of his work have won for him advancement until step by step he has reached the position of responsibility which he now fills.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Alonzo F. Barr, chief examiner of the efficiency board of St. Louis, is a man of broad vision and splendid executive ability who in his present position passes upon the qualifications of all candidates for positions in the classified service of his city, of which there are about seven thousand. He has advanced to this position by reason of his own ability and without political influence. Mr. Barr was born at Florissant in St. Louis county, August 24, 1878. His father, John P. Barr, a native of Lorraine, France, came to America in 1832, making his way direct to St. Louis and soon thereafter settling in St. Louis county. The voyage to the new world was made in company with his parents, Nicholas and Mary Barr, John P. Barr being at that time a lad of twelve years. He was educated in a private school of St. Louis county and in young manhood purchased farm lands in the vicinity of Florissant, there successfully carrying on general agricultural pursuits from 1856 until the time of his death in 1911. He was a Mexican war veteran and served in the Doniphan campaign as a private with the artillery* In 1849, with others, he crossed the plains to California, remaining on the Pacific coast during the height of the gold excitement there, returning to Missouri in 1855. In 1856 he was married to Frances De Salme, a native of St. Louis and representative of an old and prominent French family early established in the city. Mrs. Barr, who is still living, has become the mother of ten children, six sons and four daughters, of whom Alonzo F. is the youngest. But two survive, his brother being Nicholas Barr, also of St. Louis. The death of the father occurred at Florissant, February 28, 1911, when he had reached the notable age of ninety-one years.
Alonzo F. Barr was educated in the public schools of Florissant, in St. Louis University and is now attending the St. Louis Institute of Law. Following the completion of his college course he took up the profession of teaching which he followed in the Florissant public schools for a period of five years. He next entered the government service as a post office employee, there remaining for fifteen years, serving during the latter part of that period as superintendent of the Field station. He was then appointed assistant examiner of the efficiency board in April, 1916, upon a competitive examination, and was promoted to chief examiner in August, 1918. He is a tireless worker and conscientious in all of his efforts. He has recently made surveys of the largest city departments and as a result of these surveys has made recommendations with reference to the conduct of these departments, which recommendations have met with uniform favor. He is recognized as one of the most competent efficiency experts in America and his reputation has brought to him numerous offers of municipal positions from various places throughout the United States, including New York on the far east and Los Angeles on the west.
On the 20th of June, 1906, Mr. Barr was married in St. Louis to Anna Hanlon, a native of this city and daughter of Mathew and Mary Hanlon, now deceased. Mrs. Barr passed away May 12, 1908, at the age of twenty-eight, leaving a daughter, Jane Frances, who was born on the 25th of March of that year.
During the World war Mr. Barr served as a speaker for the Red Cross and was also a member of the local war service board of the Knights of Columbus. In politics he is a stalwart republican. Of the Roman Catholic church he is a communicant and is a district deputy of the Knights of Columbus. He takes a most helpful interest in the work of St. Francis Xavier's church, laboring untiringly for his parish. He is a charter member and vice president of the Knights of Columbus Choral Club, possessing much natural ability, his voice having been well trained. He participates in all the concerts of the Choral Club, which is recognized as one of the leading male singing organizations of the country. He is likewise an able pianist. As a graduate of St. Louis University, with an A. B. and A. M. degree, he is much devoted to educational development in general and to any plans or undertakings of his alma mater in particular. The care and protection of young men, assisting them to become better and truer citizens, is a matter of deep concern to him. He is president of the Catholic Civic Center, which has for its object the betterment of citizenship among young men, especially for those away from their own homes, and in this connection directs one of the most important activities of the present day. His leisure is devoted to the reading of good books and he keeps informed on all events of current interest. His literary standards are high and he is a clear, logical and forceful writer, while his fund of knowledge and excellent voice combine to make him a pleasing and convincing speaker.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


REV. THOMAS WASHINGTON BARRETT
1835-1894
Religious Activity in Missouri  1860-1894
J. C. M. 

            T. W. Barrett was born in Wood County, Virginia, in 1835.  In 1856 he united with the Baptist Church in Marietta, Ohio, and was baptized by Rev. Dr. Leonard.  The same year he came to Missouri, and soon after entered William Jewell College.

            He was ordained to the ministry Oct. 28th, 1860, and immediately began work as a Missionary of the North Liberty Association.  This work he continued for one year, and then located in Weston, Mo.  At the end of one year’s service here, he was called to the pastorate of the Tabernacle Baptist Church of Leavenworth, Kansas.  After two and one-half years on this field he was chosen as pastor in Saint Joseph, Mo.  He then accepted an appointment as financial agent of the Sunday School Board of the Southern Baptist Convention for the northern part of Missouri.  He soon relinquished this work and was appointed Missionary and general agent for the General Association.  This work he continued for a part of the years 1866 and 1867.

            In the latter part of the year 1867 he was recalled to the oversight of the church in Weston.

            Here his work was very fruitful.  In two and one-half years the membership was more than quadrupled in number, and a beautiful and substantial house of worship was erected.

            In 1869 Mr. Barrett was invited to the pastorate in Hannibal, Mo.  Here again a new house of worship was built, and the membership developed into larger activity and increased in numbers.

            For a number of years the State Mission Board had sought the establishment of a self-supporting and vigorous Baptist Church in the Capital of our State.

            It was believed that T. W. Barrett was the man whom God had endowed for this work.  He was, therefore, induced to take this field and invest a few years of his life, at least, in this enterprise.  The anticipations of the Board and of the brotherhood at large were not disappointed.

            In speaking of his work in Jefferson City, the writer, from personal experience, knows whereof he writes.  At one period of his pastorate there it was my privilege to labor with him for about three weeks in daily meetings.  By faithful preaching and diligent pastoral work the seed had been sown and the soil well prepared, and therefore the reaping time had come.  And he that had sown the good seed, and he that aided in reaping, rejoiced together.

            During his pastorate in Jefferson City he served as Chaplain of the State Senate and also of the State Prison.  In these official positions there was the same quiet and gentlemanly fidelity as in all the other positions he held.

            He was blessed with ability to be firm, and yet always gentle.

            When he became pastor in Jefferson City there was a heavy debt upon the house of worship, and outside help had been given.  This debt was all paid, and the church became fully self-sustaining.

            He was not able, when a student at William Jewell College, to complete the entire course and receive the degree given to students who had made high grades in all the studies essential to graduation.  But he had proved himself so diligent in study and so proficient in all lines of research work, that in 1872 the College conferred upon him the merited degree of A. M.

            He was an active member of the Board of State Missions, and seldom failed to attend the quarterly meetings, though at the time members paid the expenses of travel out of their own private funds.

            For a portion of the time that he served on this board he was recording secretary.  Before the State Sunday School work and the State Mission work were put into the hands of a single Board, he was also a member of the Board of the State Sunday School Convention.

            After a long and successful pastorate at Jefferson City Mr. Barrett was chosen President of Stephens College, of Columbia, Missouri.

            For ten years he managed this College for Women with entire satisfaction to the Board of Managers and to the patrons of the school.

            Though many of his friends felt that one who was so well adapted to fill the office of pastor ought not to have turned aside, even for such an office as training young women for a high and honorable mission in life, yet all knew that his work here would be a blessing to many homes, and continue to life up multitudes to a higher purpose throughout their lives.

            That he did his work well here, need not be written for those who know of his fidelity to every trust reposed in him.  But his health began to fail, and he survived the surrender of this position only about one year.

            He died in Columbia in July, 1894, and was buried in the cemetery of that city.

            He left the record of one who lives a good life and faithfully serves in every position that he was placed.  He was honored and loved by the Baptist brotherhood and sisterhood in all parts of the State, and many of the pupils in Stephens College who were under his instruction from other states have a warm place in their hearts for him, both as teacher and friend.

            The two Barretts, Rev. W. C., the father, and T. W., the son, left an unspotted record in the annals of Missouri Baptist history.

(Source: Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) transcribed by Mary Saggio)


Frederick Emil  BauschFrederick Emil Bausch, resident manager of the Hooven, Owens, Rentschler Company of Hamilton, Ohio, builders of Hamilton Corliss engines, sugar mills, etc., and manager of the Terry Steam Turbine Company of Hartford, Connecticut, and the Griscom-Russell Company of Massillon, Ohio, was born in Mannheim, Germany, January 8, 1871, son of Bernhard and Emilie Bender Bausch.
In June, 1871, when he was six months of age, his parents came to the United States, settling in St. Louis. The father was a chemist of renown who passed away in 1877. The mother survives, having taught for twenty-nine years in the St. Louis public schools and at present, at the age of seventy-seven years, is very active in a business enterprise established by her son in 1893. They have a family of four children: Oscar, who is sales manger with Meyer Brothers Drug Company; Emily, a well known landscape painter and wife of Emil Summa; Frederick E. of this review; and Adolf, who is superintendent of the Frederick E. Bausch Fire Clay Works.
Frederick E. Bausch attended the St. Louis public schools, passing through consecutive grades to the high school and afterward attended the Washington University, from which he was graduated in 1892 with the degree of Electrical Engineer. Immediately afterward he taught in the Manual Training School of St. Louis and at night in the Polytechnic night school until 1895. The following year 1895-1896 he took post graduate work at Cornell University, where the degree of Master of Mechanical Engineering (M. M. E.) was conferred upon him.
His first work in the-engineering field was that of assistant to the chief engineer of the Bell Telephone Company and in 1897 he became assistant chief engineer at the Missouri Edison Electric Company, now the Union Electric Light & Power Company, St. Louis. From 1900 to 1901 he was appointed chief engineer of the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company at Crystal City, Missouri. From 1901 to the present—for twenty years— he has been district manager of the Hooven, Owens, Rentschler Company of Hamilton, Ohio, builders of Hamilton Corliss engines, uniflow and poppet valve engines, sugar mills, marine engines, etc. In this connection he has supervision over the trade that extends throughout Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, part of Tennessee and Kentucky and Southern Illinois. He is likewise manager of the Terry Steam Turbine Company of Hartford, Connecticut, and the Griscom-Russell Company of Massillon, Ohio.
In addition to the machinery connections above listed Mr. Bausch is proprietor of one of the most modern fire clay plants in St. Louis county, designed and equipped with labor saving devices of all kinds, specializing in the mining and grinding of fire clays. He also owns a crucible clay plant at Kaolin, Illinois, and a China Clay plant in southern Missouri. It is of interest to note that Mr. Bausch's mother is active manager of his fire clay plant in St. Louis county and is never so happy as when the day's mail brings the customers' instructions for more clay.
Mr. Bausch is a member of the Protestant church. Politically he is a republican with liberal tendencies. He belongs to no lodges but is identified with the City Club, the Missouri Athletic Association, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the American Institute of Electrical Engineers and the local Engineers' Club. During the war period he was greatly interested in various activities for the support of the government and the soldiers in the field. He was a captain in the United War Work campaign and his organisation was one of three to win a prize for efficient work in securing the largest number of subscriptions. That Mr. Bausch is an excellent salesman is manifested in the fact that he accomplishes, splendid results when he goes out into the field in connection with his business. He easily inspires and wins confidence and today enjoys wide trade connections. At all times he keeps abreast with the spirit of the age and is actuated by progressiveness in everything that he undertakes. He is a lover of literature, art and music and all those things which have cultural value in life, while at the same time he is most practical and enterprising in his business affairs and is accomplishing splendid results in the management of important interests.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

Bausch, Frederick Emil mechanical engineer; born, Mannheim-on-the-Rhine, Germany, Jan. 8, 1871; son of Bernhard and Emilie (Bender) Bausch; educated in St. Louis grammar and high schools, graduating 1887; Washington University, graduating, E.E., 1892; post-graduate course at Cornell University, degree, M.M.E., 1896; unmarried. Instructor St. Louis Manual Training School in St. Louis public night schools (Polytechnic Department), 1892-95; after course at Cornell became electrical engineer for Bell Telephone Co. of Missouri, 1896-98; mechanical engineer, Missouri Edison Electric Co., 1898-1900; chief engineer at Crystal City (Mo.) plant of the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co., 1900-1901; southwestern manager at St. Louis for the Hooven, Owens, Rentschler Co., of Hamilton, O., since 1901. Proprietor Fire Clay Plant, St. Louis Co. Member American Institute of Electrical Engineers, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Engineers' Club of St. Louis. Member Civic League. Republican. Protestant. Clubs: Mercantile, Missouri Athletic, City. Recreations: music and books. Office: 1316-1317 Chemical Bldg. Residence: 6139 Berlin Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


Edgar De Forest Bell, the general manager of the Illinois Traction System was born in Hopewell, Indiana, May 6, 1875. His father, a prosperous farmer, was Jesse Bell, and his mother Elizabeth (Hood) Bell, both of whom were natives of that town. Of the three boys and three girls born to them Edgar De Forest Bell was the third. He received his early education in the grade and high schools of Urbana, Illinois, and graduated from the University of Illinois in 1901 with the degree of Bachelor of Science and Engineering. He began work immediately with the Illinois Traction System and has advanced steadily to his present position as the general manager.
Mr. Bell is one of the stockholders of the University Bank of Urbana, Illinois, and is connected with three prominent building and loan associations in that city. He has participated actively in all Liberty loan drives.
A member of the Rock Springs Country Club of Alton, Illinois, and the Riverview Club of St Louis, Missouri, Mr. Bell is also a Mason who has achieved the Scottish Rites. His party affiliations are republican and his religious faith is that of the Quakers.
Mr. Bell was married in. Indianapolis, Indiana, in 1905, to Amelia Seifferman, daughter of Charles Seifferman of Urbana, Illinois, of the Transportation Department of the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad. They have one daughter, Mary Elizabeth Bell.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


A. Samuel BenderA. Samuel Bender, attorney at law, is one of the representatives of the St. Louis bar of Russian birth. Brought to the new world in early life he is a product of the educational institutions of St. Louis and his course has been a credit to his adopted city. He was born at Odessa, Russia, January 31, 1893. His father, Isadore Bender, is also a native of Odessa and engaged in commercial pursuits in St. Louis as a dealer in groceries'and sundries. He came to the United States in 1900, making his way direct to this city, where he has since resided and has successfully engaged in the line of business indicated. He married Bessie Swerdlich, who was also born in Russia and who passed away March 7, 1910, at the age of forty-eight years. Ih the family were seven children, five of whom have passed away, Louis and A. Samuel, both of St. Louis, being the surviving members of the family.
The latter was the youngest of the family and was educated in the public and high schools of St. Louis and also in the Washington University, in which he pursued his professional course, being graduated In 1914 with the LL. B. degree. He had started out to earn his living as a newsboy when but eight years of age and he continued to sell papers to the time that he entered the university, and from his earnings he paid his way while pursuing his legal course. In fact he continued to sell papers until January 15, 1915, and it was In that month he was admitted to practice. He then entered upon the active work of the profession, and although advancement at the bar is proverbially slow he has steadily progressed and already has won a large clientage of considerable importance. He prepares his cases with thoroughness and care and his ability and skill are manifest in the many favorable verdicts he has won for his clients.
On the 13th of June, 1920, Mr. Bender was married in St. Louis to Miss Ruth Reichman, a native of this city and a daughter of David and Minnie Reichman. Mr. Bender is a member of the orthodox Hebrew church. Fraternally he is connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and along professional lines has connection with the St. Louis Bar Association. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he is interested in all that pertains to the progress and welfare of city and state. During the period when America was at war with Germany he was active in all Liberty Loan campaigns, 'frequently addressed public gatherings upon the vital questions of the hour and he served in the bureau of air-craft production and later was discharged at Camp Hancock, where he was attending the Machine Oun Officers' Training School, having been connected with the army for ten months. Though born across the water he has spent all but the first seven years of his life in St. Louis and is thoroughly imbued with American spirit and ideals, while in his profession he is steadily forging to the front by reason of those qualities which show him to be imbued with a high sense of professional honor.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Tom Wightman Bennett, well known in financial circles as the organizer and promoter of the Mortgage Guarantee Company and also of the Mortgage Trust Company of St. Louis, was born in Arkansas, November 30, 1872, his parents being Zachary T. and Othelia M. Bennett. He pursued his education in the public schools of Little Rock, Arkansas, being there graduated from the high school with the class of June, 1892. He entered upon his business career in connection with the cotton commission business, in which he was engaged in 1894 and 1895. In the following year he became identified with shoe manufacturing and was thus active until 1906. In the latter year he became an officer of the Mississippi Valley Trust Company of St. Louis and remained with that corporation until January, 1909, when he organized the Mortgage Guarantee Company of this city and two years later organized as an associate company the Mortgage Trust Company, since which time the two companies have continued as associate concerns in investment banking and trust business, with Mr. Bennett as president and directing head of both. He is largely interested financially in both concerns as well as in other corporations, the affairs of which are controlled or managed by the Mortgage Trust Company. On January 1, 1921, the Mortgage Guarantee Company and the Mortgage Trust Company entered into a combination with the St. Louis Union Trust Company and the First National Bank of St. Louis, whereby the latter institution owns the controling interest. The Mortgage Trust Company becomes the investment division of the First National Bank and will retain its present officials. This combination of interests makes the largest banking group west of the Mississippi river. Mr. Bennett is likewise an officer in several private corporations and his business affairs are most carefully and wisely managed, bringing substantial results.
Mr. Bennett is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and his political position is that of an independent democrat. He is well known in club circles of the city, belonging to the Noonday, Racquet and St. Louis Country Clubs. Those who know him—and he has a wide acquaintance—speak of him In high terms because of his social qualities as well as his business ability.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

BENNETT, Tom Wightman, president Mortgage Trust Co. and vice president Mortgage Guarantee Co.; born in White Co., Ark., Nov. 30, 1872; son of Zachray T. and Othelia (Har­lan) Bennett; educated in public schools of Little Rock, Ark.; unmarried. Came to St. Louis, August, 1894; was with Jerome Hill Cotton Co., two years; then with Brown Shoe Co., from fall of 1896 to April, 1905, first four years of which time was traveling salesman in Northeast Texas, then for a period in entire charge of the selling forces in the southern states, and from April, 1903, to April, 1905, general manager of the company's factories; resigned and sold interest in company, and after a few months of rest and travel was elected, Oct. 8, 1905, to position as real estate officer of the Mississippi Valley Trust Co. Resigned position in December, 1908, and in January, 1909, organized the Mortgage Guarantee Co. of St. Louis, of which was president during 1909 and 1910. The Mortgage Trust Co. was formed, 1911, to operate in connection with the Guarantee Co., and he was elected president of the Trust Co. and vice president of the Guarantee Co. Member Business Men's League, Civic League. In 1904 was treasurer and executive manager of the World's Exhibit Shoe Factory, a corporation organized to conduct the manufacturing shoe exhibit at the World's Fair. Democrat. Methodist. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, Racquet, St. Louis Country. Office: Southeast comer 4th and Pine Sts. Residence: Racquet Club.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


George F. Bergfeld, engaged in the real estate business in St. Louis, was born in Chicago, Illinois, October 16, 1865. His father, Alexander A. Bergfeld, who passed away in 1900 at the age of sixty-one years, was a merchant devoting many years to mercantile pursuits in St Louis. He married Elizabeth Wesseling, who survived him until 1905 and was sixty-six years of age at the time of her demise. In their family were five sons and a daughter but three of the sons and the daughter have passed away. One son, Rudolph, is living in Tyler, Texas, where he occupies the position of vice president of the Citizens National Bank. He married Lena Pabst.
The other, surviving member of the family is George F. Bergfeld of this review who was the youngest of the household. He was educated in the public schools of St. Louis, passing through consecutive grades to his graduation from the Central high school in June, 1887. He then entered the real estate business as a clerk for Henry V. Lucas and was with that house between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five years, or until 1890. Gradually he had won advancement through intermediate positions so at the time he left the company he had full charge of the office. He was ambitious, however, to engage in business on his own account and organized the George F. Bergfeld Realty Company with office at No. 1027 Chestnut street. From that time to the present he has successfully engaged in the real estate business, although he has not continued at his original location. He removed first to No. 617 Chestnut street and finally to 610 Chestnut street where he is now located. He engages in the buying and selling of real estate and the building of fine residences and he has erected over two hundred and twenty-five fine homes. His company is one of the largest operating in the real estate field in St Louis. An analyzation of the record of Mr. Bergfeld indicates the clearness of his business vision, the thoroughness of his plans and the efficiency with which he promotes his purposes. While he has conducted a business that has brought to him notable success it has been of a character that has contributed to the progress and prosperity of the city.
On the 12th of June, 1889, in St. Louis, Mr. Bergfeld was married to Miss Ella Hufft, a daughter of Judge Hufft of New Orleans, and they have one son, Lucas L., who has become president of the George F. Bergfeld Realty Company and who married Virginia Phillips, a member of one of the old families of St. Louis.
Mr. Bergfeld is a member of Tuscan Lodge, A. F. ft A. M. and he was raised in 1895. He belongs also to the Chamber of Commerce and to the Real Estate Exchange and in addition to the conduct of his important and extensive realty business in which his official position is that of chairman of the board of directors he is now a director of the Liberty-Central Trust Company of St. Louis. His religious belief is Presbyterian, his membership being in the Kings Highway Presbyterian church in which he is a member of the board of trustees. Politically he is a republican but without desire or ambition for public office. His activities have not been withheld from various organized efforts for the public good; on the contrary he supports every measure of progressive citizenship and at the same time his energy and efforts have been so directed in the channels of business that today he stands among the leaders in real estate circles in St. Louis.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

BERGFELD, George Frank, real estate and building; born, Chicago, Oct. 16, 1865; son of Alexander and Elizabeth Bergfeld; educated in St. Louis public schools; married, St. Louis, June 16, 1889, Ella M. Hufft; one son: Lucas Lee. Began in employ of Henry V. Lucas, real estate, 1880, remaining with him until 1887; with Scruggs, Vandervoort & Barney Dry Goods Co. as assistant cashier until 1889; president Bergfeld-Parker Real Estate Co., 1889-98; now president George F. Bergfeld Realty Co., George F. Bergfeld Investment and Construction Co. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange, Civic League. Mason. Republican. Office: 610 Chestnut St. Residence: 5171 Cabanne Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


John Berthold
About the year 1836 there came to America, from Prussia, Germany, one Herman Berthold, then unmarried and a carpenter by trade, who settled at Hermann, Gasconade county, Missouri, and who, through his frugal and industrial habits, and the opportunities America afforded, acquired such earthly means as he could not have secured in the old world. He also followed the oft repeated example of supplying funds for bringing to" America those nearest and dearest from the old world. Through his generosity there came to America in 1850 his brother,' John C. Berthold, his second wife, and Ferdinand, Fred W., Edward, Louise and Ida, the children of his former marriage to Wilhelmina Becker. The Bertholds removed from Hermann to Union, Missouri, thence to Washington, the men working all the time at the carpenter's trade in which all were skilled and adept doing all of the labor in house building from hewing the logs for the frame work to that of the finest cabinet finishing. Eventually they settled in Gray Summit, Missouri, where certain members of the family became pioneers in the mercantile business and at that place Fred W. Berthold, who was born March 30, 1836, and was the second eldest of the family, met and on the 14th of June, 1862, married Miss Amalia Kierspe, a daughter of William and Amelia Kierspe who were natives of Germany and prosperous farmers living near St. Albans, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Fred W. Berthold were born eight children of whom three died in infancy, while those who reached adult age were Edward W.; Laura W., who became the wife of Henry G. Knappmeier of Grover, Missouri; Lena, the deceased wife of Herman Steines of Centaur, Missouri; John C. and William H,
Mr. Berthold had been married only a brief period when he answered to his country's call, enlisting in the Union Army in the Civil war. He served with Company G, Seventeenth Missouri Infantry and joined his command near Vicksburg, Mississippi, taking an active part in Grant and Sherman's campaign. The Seventeenth Missouri, at the end of two years' service, was merged with the Fifteenth Missouri in which Mr. Berthold served until the end of the war. Returning home he settled on a farm near St. Albans where his family was reared and where he prospered as the years passed by.. He also took an active part in civic and social matters, was a stanch republican in politics and a strong advocate for better schools and roads. . He was also an active member of D. N. Keeler Post, G. A. R., at Melrose, until depleted in ranks and disbanded, when he became connected with Brouster Post, at Clayton, Missouri. He now lives retired from business at Kirkwood, Missouri, surrounded by the families of his three sons, and at the ripe old age of eighty-five years is still active in body and mind.
It was on his father's farm near St. Albans that John C. Berthold was born April 10, 1870, and he acquired the rudiments of an education in an old log schoolhouse adjoining the farm and there dreamed his dreams of the future while following the plow or riding the reaper. At eighteen years of age, when the family nest became too small for the entire family, he severed his home ties and entered upon a two year's apprenticeship at general blacksmithing under Arthur J. Hardt, at Fox Creek, St Louis county. There and in the city of St Louis and at Rock Hill, Missouri, he mastered the craft to. the extent that in 1892 he rented and conducted the very shop in which he began his apprenticeship some four years before. It was during this short business career that he felt the need of a better education and after one year's successful operation of the smithy he sold out to the former owner and in September, 1893, entered the Toensfeld Institute, then a popular educational institution of St. Louis. As his first year's course was nearing a close, realizing that his life's savings would not permit another year's school work, he undertook and successfully passed the teacher's examination in St. Louis county and was engaged to teach the Smith school near Pond, Missouri, a position which he filled for three terms. He then became teacher at the Rott school near Kirkwood and utilised his summer vacation in additional training including that of a business course.
On the 9th of May, 1899, Mr. Berthold was married to Henrietta Ossenfort, who was born June 7, 1878, the only daughter in a family of six children, whose parents were William and Eliza (Kincaid) Ossenfort. Mrs. Bertholds's father was born and reared near Melrose and her mother was born just across the line near St Albans, in Franklin county, Missouri. Her paternal grandfather, Frederick C. Ostlenfort, was a native of Germany and came to America in 1844, settling near Melrose where he spent the remainder of his days. There he invested his early savings in realty when land was yet low in value, thus displaying his unbounded faith in St. Louis county real estate. He lived to see his dreams realized when his large holdings became valuable property. The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Berthold was Dr. Peter Kincaid, a native of Scotland and a graduate of the University of Edinburg. He arrived in St Louis at an early period when the city was yet young and passing it by acquired a large tract of land in Franklin county at a prominent steamboat landing on the Missouri river, becoming one of the pioneer physicians in that section. There he laid out the city of St Albans, naming it after a famous city in Scotland. The treacherous Missouri, however, played havoc with this prospective city, when in 1844 the high water covered it and from the land it has never receded. Thus Mr». Berthold is descended from two .of the pioneer families of Missouri. She was reared in this state as a member of the Ossenfort household whose six children were Charles H., Fred W., John T., Henrietta, August L. and Edward of Melrose, Missouri, beside Mrs. Berthold.
To Mr. and Mrs. Berthold were born four children: Harold J., whose birth occurred July 31, 1900; John, who was born December 20, 1902, and is now deceased; Mildred Leona, born December 14, 1905; and Marjorie Marie, born February 5, 1914.
In 1903 after a successful career of eight years as a teacher, Mr. Berthold entered the St. Louis postoffice as an employe in the registry division and at the same time acquired a home at No. 374 South Taylor avenue in Kirkwood where he has since lived. On the 16th of March, 1908,. he became identified with the office of clerk of the circuit court of St. Louis county as deputy under C. C. Wolff, then circuit clerk, and later was chief deputy under A. D. Willecken, successor to Mr. Wolff. In this office his long and active service has aided materially in bringing about the essential and needed reforms.
Mr. Berthold has always taken an active interest in the public welfare. He served as an alderman of the city of Kirkwood and he is a stockholder and at one time was a director of the Kirkwood Trust Company. He is a stalwart advocate of better schools and of good roads and did much for progress in that direction while serving on the city board. He is a stanch supporter of the republican party, believing that it will best serve the public needs and welfare and in his activity along that line Mrs. Berthold has Joined since suffrage has been extended to her sex. Fraternally Mr. Berthold has been closely identified with the Sons of Veterans, an auxiliary of the Grand Army of the Republic, and he is also a Mason and a member of several benevolent and farmer organisations. His has indeed been an active and useful life, characterized by kindly purposes, fraught with good deeds and actuated by high and worthy motives.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


BIGGERS, William David, manager the Continental Co.; born, St. Louis, MO July 1, 1864; son of David A. and Rebecca J. (Lowry) Biggers; educated in public and high schools, St. Louis; married at St. Louis, Oct. 6, 1887, Emma M. Fisse. Began active Career, 1883, in employ of the Simmons Hardware Co., St. Louis, advancing for 19 years through various positions, resigning position of buyer to become secretary and manager of the Walter A. Zelnicker Supply Co.; resigned from this position Dec. 1, 1904, and became manufacturers' agent for hardware trade; removed to Detroit, Oct. 1, 1906 as secretary of The Continental Co., manufacturers of screen doors and window screens for hardware jobbing trade, and has also been general manager of the company since Apr., 1907. Member school board, Webster Groves, Mo., 1900-02. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Detroit Board of Commerce, Royal Arcanum. Recreations: Golf and baseball. Office: 1120 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 80 Hague Av.
(Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908. Contributed by Christine Walters)


John Edmond BishopJohn Edmond Bishop, who is engaged in the practice of law in St Louis as a member of the firm of Bishop & Claiborne, was born in Rocheport, Boone county, Missouri, August 6, 1869, a son of David and Ann Eliza (Stice) Bishop. It was in the. year 1844 that the father removed from Clark county, Kentucky, to Boone county, Missouri, where he successfully carried on farming, while subsequently he engaged in merchandising at California, Moniteau county, Missouri. He passed away in 1908 at the ripe old age of eighty-four years, his birth having occurred in 1824. His widow is still living.
John Edmond Bishop was educated in this state, completing a high school course at California, Missouri, with the class of 1889, after which he pursued his academic studies in the Missouri State University. He became a law student at, Tale and was there graduated in 1896 with the degree of LL. B. In the meantime Mr. Bishop had taken up the profession of teaching and was assistant superintendent of the public schools of California, Missouri, in 1892 and 1893 and also through the ensuing term. In September, 1896, he came to St. Louis and entered alone upon the practice of law, thus continuing until January 1, 1901, when he formed a partnership with Thomas H. Cobbs under the firm style of Bishop & Cobbs. Today lie is the senior partner of the firm of Bishop & Claiborne, which was organized in the fall of 1918. He has always concentrated his efforts and attention upon general civil practice save that he filled the office of city attorney at California, Missouri, from 1892 until 1894. His law practice is now extensive and important and he is also a director of a number of corporations.                      
On the 11th of March, 1916, Mr. Bishop was married to Miss Maria Claiborne, of St. Louis, daughter of Judge James R. Claiborne, a prominent Jurist and the present partner of her husband in the practice of law.
Mr. Bishop is well known in club circles. He is the secretary of the St. Louis Club and a member of the Noonday, the Bellerive Country and the Sunset Hill Country Clubs. He is very prominent in Masonic circles, belonging to Tuscan Lodge No. 60, A. F. & A. M., of which he is a past master, while in the consistory lie has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite. He is likewise a member of the Mystic Shrine and in 1920 was elected potentate of Moolah Temple. He belongs to the Christian church and the active forces of his life have always been such as have made him a highly esteemed and valued resident of St. Louis.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

BISHOP, John Edmond, lawyer; born, Rocheport, Mo., Aug. 6, 1869; son of David and Ann Eliza (Stice) Bishop; educated in California (Mo.) High School, class of 1889; academic course, Missouri State University, and Yale Law School, class of 1895; unmarried. Assistant superintendent of public schools, California, Mo., 1892-93, and 1893-94; located in St. Louis, September, 1895, and practiced law alone until Jan. 1, 1901, when formed partnership with Thomas H. Cobbs in present law firm of Bishop & Cobbs. Was city attorney, California, Mo., 1892-94. Democrat. Member Christian Church. Clubs: Noonday, St. Louis (secretary), Racquet, Glen Echo (vice president). Recreations: golf, motoring. Office: Third National Bank Bldg. Residence: St. Louis Club.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BLAKE, Mrs. Lillie Devereux, woman suffragist and reformer, born in Raleigh, N. C., 12th August, 1835. Both her parents were descended from the Rev. Jonathan Edwards, D. D., and by other lines of descent were of highly distinguished ancestry. Lillie received every advantage of education at New Haven, Conn., to which place her widowed mother had removed, taking the Yale College course from tutors at home. She grew up a beautiful and brilliant girl and was an acknowledged belle until she was married in 1855 to Frank G. Q. Umsted, a young lawyer of Philadelphia. They made their home in St. Louis, Mo., and New York City until 1859, when she was left a widow with two children. She had already begun to write for the press, one of her first stories, "A Lonely House," having appeared in the "Atlantic Monthly." A novel, "Southwold." had achieved a decided success. The handsome fortune she had inherited was largely impaired, and the young widow began to work in earnest, writing stories, sketches and letters for several leading periodicals. She made her home mostly with her mother, in Stratford. Conn. In 1862 she published a second novel, "Rockford," and subsequently several romances. In 1866 she was married to Grinfill Blake, a young merchant of New York. In 1869 she became actively interested in the woman suffrage movement. A woman of strong affections and marked domestic tastes, her speaking outside of New York City has been almost wholly done in the summer, when her family was naturally scattered. In 1872 she published a novel called "Fettered for Life," designed to show the many disadvantages under which women labor. In 1873 she made an application for the opening of Columbia College to young women, presenting a class of qualified girl students. The agitation then begun has since led to the establishment of Barnard College. In 1879 she was unanimously elected president of the New York State Woman Suffrage Association, and held that office eleven years. Her lectures, printed under the title of "Woman's Place To-day" (New York), have had a large sale. Among the reforms in which she has been actively interested has been that of securing matrons to take charge of women detained in police stations. As early as 1871 she spoke and wrote on the subject. Public sentiment was finally aroused, and in 1891 a law was passed enforcing this much-needed reform. The employment of women as census takers was first urged in 1880 by Mrs. Blake. The bills giving seats to saleswomen, ordering the presence of a woman physician in every insane asylum where women are detained, and many other beneficent measures were presented or aided by her. In 1886 Mrs. Blake was elected president of the New York City Woman Suffrage League, an office which she still holds. She has attended conventions and made speeches in most of the States and Territories, and has addressed committees of both houses of Congress and of the New York and Connecticut Legislatures. She is a graceful and logical writer, a witty and eloquent speaker and a charming hostess, her weekly receptions through the season in New York having been for many years among the attractions of literary and reform circles.
(American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Volume 1, Publ. 1897.  Transcribed by Marla Snow)


Eugene Blodgett is the senior partner in the firm of Blodgett &Rector, attorneys at law of St. Louis. Missouri numbers him among her native sons, his birth having occurred at Shelbina, January 12, 1884, his parents being S. L. and Alice (Smith) Blodgett, the former a native of Iowa and the latter of Michigan. The father was of English descent, while the mother belonged to one of the old families of New York. Mr. Blodgett carried on merchandising at Shelbina, Missouri, for many years, but passed away in August, 1884, when thirty-nine years of age, his birth having occurred in 1845. He was but sixteen years of age when he enlisted for service in the Union army as a member of Company K of the Sixth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, in which he rose to the rank of captain. His wife survives and is a resident of St. Louis. They had a family of five children, two sons and three daughters.
Eugene Blodgett, the youngest of the family, was educated in the public and high schools of his native city and in the University of Missouri, from which he was graduated in 1905, winning the Bachelor of Arts degree. In 1904 he obtained the first Rhodes scholarship of Missouri and was graduated from Oxford in 1907 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, in the honor school of Jurisprudence. In the same year he entered the law department of Washington University at St. Louis, Missouri, and there completed his course in 1909, at which time the LL. B. degree was conferred upon him by that institution. Subsequent to his graduation he entered upon practice in St. Louis in the office of Morton Jourdan and subsequently was with the firm of Boyle & Priest On the 1st of January, 1914, he entered into his present partnership relation as senior member of the firm of Blodgett ft Rector. Mr. Blodgett belongs to the American Bar Association, the Missouri State Bar Association and the St. Louis Bar Association, and of the state organization was treasurer in 1915 and 1916. He has made steady advancement in a profession where progress depends entirely upon individual merit and ability. His knowledge of the law is comprehensive and exact and he is seldom at fault in the application of a legal principle.
During the World war Mr. Blodgett served as a member of the legal advisory board of the eighth ward. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he has been active in local, state and national politics. He belongs to the University Club, the Missouri Athletic Association and the Sunset Hill Country Club and enjoys a personal popularity that has gained for him many friends. Nature endowed him with keen intellectual force and he has used his talents wisely and well, advancing step by step until he now occupies an enviable place in professional circles in his adopted city.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.