Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" B "

Wells Howard BlodgettWells Howard Blodgett was born January 29th, 1839, at Downers Grove, DuPage county, Illinois. His father, Israel P. Blodgett, was a native of Belchertown, Massachusetts, and his mother, Avis (Dodge) Blodgett, was born in the nearby town of Amherst, in that state. In 1830 they traveled across the country by wagon to Albany. The Erie Canal had then been opened, and they went by that route from Albany to Buffalo. From Buffalo they took a schooner (there were no steamboats on the Lakes in those days) to Chicago, which was then better known as "Fort Dearborn." From Chicago they traveled west about twenty-five miles, across the open country (there being no established roads), to the DuPage river, where they located their home. At that time the tribe of Indians known as the Pottowatomies occupied the DuPage river country. Locally they were friendly with the white people who were coming to settle in their country. But when Black Hawk, Chief of the Sacs and Foxes, declared war against the whites and commenced crossing to the east side of the Mississippi with his warriors, the white settlers residing west of Fort Dearborn became alarmed and fled to the fort for protection. Afterwards, however, when Black Hawk had been defeated and captured, the Blodgett family returned to their home on the DuPage, but soon afterwards they moved to a new location and established their home at the place now known as Downers Grove, where Wells H. (the subject of this sketch) was born and grew up on a farm as other boys do in a new country. He was one of a family of eight children, seven sons and one daughter. His eldest brother (Henry W. Blodgett) was Judge of the federal court at Chicago for many years. Another brother (Asiel Z.) served through the war 1861-5 as a captain in the Ninety-sixth Regiment, Illinois Volunteers, and was severely wounded at Mission Ridge. Another brother (Edward A.) was adjutant of that regiment and received a brevet commission as Major of Infantry. His youngest brother (Charles B.) still resides in the old home at Downers.
In 1856, '57 and '58 Wells H. Blodgett was a student at Wheaton and Mount Morris, and at the close of the school year in 1858 he entered the law office of Norman B. Judd as a student. Mr. Judd was at that time one of the best known citizens of the state. He was chairman of the Republican State Committee and the member of the National Republican Committee from Illinois. He was general counsel for the Rock Island Railroad Company, and in the great suits brought, in both the state and federal courts, by the river interests, to prevent the placing of a bridge pier in the channel of the Mississippi river, he employed Mr. Lincoln as his associate, and at the National Republican Convention that met at Chicago in June, 1860, Mr. Judd presented the name of Mr. Lincoln as the candidate of his state and party for the presidency. In March, 1861, Wells H. Blodgett presented himself before the examining committee for admission to the bar, and received a certificate that entitled him to enrollment. On the 15th day of April, 1861, Mr. Lincoln issued his first call for an army of 75,000 men "to protect the national capital and suppress insurrection." On April 17 of that year he (tire subject of this sketch) enrolled as a private in a military company then being organized at Chicago by Captain (afterwards Colonel) C. C. Marsh. That company was not called into active service, but in July of the same year he again enrolled as a private for "a term of three years or during the war," in Company D, Thirty-seventh Regiment, Illinois Volunteers, and afterwards, in August, 1861, he was commissioned by Governor Tates as a first lieutenant in that company and regiment. In the autumn of that year he marched, with his company and regiment, to Springfield, Missouri, in the army commanded by General John C. Fremont. But as the Confederate Army commanded by General Sterling Price had fallen back to a point farther south, the army commanded by Fremont returned north to a camp in Missouri, near what was then the western terminus of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. General Price, however, soon returned with his army to Springfield, and General Samuel R. Curtis, who had succeeded Fremont, decided to move his army against the Confederate forces at Springfield, and in February, 1862, that movement began and continued until the main army, under Curtis, had reached Sugar Creek, Arkansas, at a point two or three miles south of Pea Ridge. In the meantime the army under Price had been reinforced by a division of Confederate troops from Louisiana commanded by General Hebert; by a division from Texas commanded by General Ben McCullough, and a division from Arkansas commanded by General Mclntosh. Such being the situation, and while the troops of the main army under Curtis were quietly resting in their camp on Sugar Creek, they were, on the afternoon of March 6, 1862, suddenly startled by the roar of artillery in the direction of Bentonville where the division of the Federal Army under Siegel was in camp. During the night of March 6 the Confederate Army moved from its position near Bentonville, and, on the morning of March 7, it was occupying a position north of the army under Curtis. The Thirty-seventh Illinois Infantry was in the division of the Union Army commanded by General Jeff C. Davis of Indiana, and instead of moving south to the attack it moved north, and at daybreak on the morning of March 7 the fighting began and continued until the night of that day. It was renewed the next morning and continued until between one and two o'clock p. m. of March 8. In the final charge of the Union Army, at the point known as Elkhorn Tavern, it so happened that the right of Company D, Thirty-seventh Illinois, rested on the highway leading up (they were then moving north) to what was known as the Elkhorn Tavern. Down the slope to the north some seventy-five or one hundred yards, the Confederates had been compelled to abandon two pieces of artillery, and the next day, March 9, Company D of the Thirty-seventh Illinois, commanded by Lieutenant Blodgett, was detailed to escort the two captured guns to the headquarters of General Curtis, who thanked the lieutenant and his company and complimented, in generous terms, the gallantry of the regiment to which they belonged. In the two days' fighting at Pea Ridge (March seventh and eighth, 1862), the Thirty-seventh Illinois Volunteers lost fifty-four men killed on the field, six of whom belonged to Company D. The number of wounded in the regiment exceeded one hundred.
In April, 1862, Lieutenant Blodgett was detailed to support Major James M. Hubbard of the First Missouri Cavalry, in an expedition from Cassville, Missouri, into the Indian Nation. Standwaite, then Chief of the Cherokees, was an officer in the Confederate Army and had fought with his regiment under Price and Van Dora at Pea Ridge. The force under, Hubbard consisted of about three hundred cavalry armed with carbines; sixty selected men from the Thirty-seventh Illinois Infantry, armed with Colt's revolving rifles and two six-pound guns from Davidson's Peoria Battery. Hubbard's command was furnished with ten army wagons, each of which was hauled by six army mules. The wagons served a double purpose; they not only transported the needed commissary supplies, but also enabled the infantry to ride and rest when the marching was too fast or too far for them to walk. Armed and equipped as above, the command moved out from its camp at Cassville and headed for the Indian country. The first day out they met with no opposition, but on the second day, whenever the route lay through brush or timber, small bodies of armed horsemen would form across the narrow roads, and thereupon one of the cannon would be brought into position and upon its discharge a platoon of Hubbard's men would charge down the road and the enemy would disappear. Before reaching the place then known as Seneca Mills Hubbard had captured more than thirty prisoners, but at that point the number was largely increased. At Seneca Mills Hubbard was informed that a Confederate camp, composed of both whites and Indians, was located over in the nation, on what was then known as Cow Skin Prairie, and at daylight the next morning he started with the cavalry and one piece of artillery to find and capture that camp. He found the camp, but its defenders had fled, and Hubbard returned to Seneca Mills, and from there he marched his command to Neosho, the county seat of Newton county. On reaching Neosho he first took possession of the public square and placed his prisoners in the court house, but he soon concluded that in order to hold the court house he would be compelled to divide his forces, and thereupon he moved his men to a ridge that overlooked the town, and was then covered with scattering timber. On the point nearest the town he stationed the artillery and supported it with the sixty men from the Thirty-seventh Illinois, commanded by Lieutenant Blodgett. Before reaching Neosho Hubbard had learned that a Confederate force, outnumbering his own, and composed largely of Indians, had been following him, and just at dawn the next morning the white men and Indians composing that force came charging into Hubbard's camp and for a few moments there was a din of shooting and shouting that was most bewildering. The fighting did not last long, however, and when it was over the enemy was seen to be in full retreat. In that brief engagement Hubbard lost two men killed and five were wounded, and inside of Hubbard's camp two Indians were killed and three white men were taken prisoners. In that engagement a bullet fired from what is known as a squirrel rifle struck Lieutenant Blodgett in his left foot and caused a serious but not a permanent injury. The excitement of that attack being over, Hubbard informed his officers that he intended to move, and that his destination would be the Stone barn, then owned by Judge Richie, on the Newtonia prairie. The prisoners and the men of the Thirty-seventh Illinois were then quietly loaded into the wagons, and, at the sound of the bugle, the movement began. The first two or three miles were in a valley and the road was rough, but the Stone barn on the prairie was reached that afternoon. Soon afterwards, however, squads of mounted men armed with shotguns and rifles began to appear just outside the range of their guns, and it soon became apparent that Hubbard's force was greatly outnumbered. It so happened, however, that Hubbard had with him a young man employed as a civilian scout and guide, who, while at Neosho, had volunteered to pass through the lines of the enemy at night, and go on to Cassville and advise Colonel Black of the situation. The young man succeeded, and at daylight the morning after his arrival at Cassville, Colonel Black left for Neosho with four companies- of the Thirty-seventh Illinois Infantry, two companies of cavalry, a section of Davidson's Peoria Battery, and some wagons in which to rest the infantry. Arriving at Neosho, Black learned that Hubbard had gone to the Newtonia prairie, and, after giving his men a short rest, he moved in that direction, and before daylight the next morning the men of Hubbard's command welcomed the sound of the big bass drum of the Thirty-seventh Illinois as it announced the approach of Black and the men of that regiment. Soon after daylight the next morning the squads of Confederate horsemen that had been on guard begah to move further away from the Stone barn, and by ten o'clock of that morning they had entirely disappeared, and Black, after resting one day with his men, took command of the entire force and returned to Cassville. As showing the manner in which the prisoners captured by Hubbard on that expedition were treated, the following quotation from a letter written many years afterwards by one of them may be of interest:
                                                        "Muskogee, April 15, 1898.

Lieutenant Blodgett,
     St. Louis, Missouri. Dear Sir:
I address you as 'Lieutenant' because that was your rank when I was your boy prisoner, thirty-six years ago.

Last week I saw your name mentioned in a Washington dispatch as being one to whom the President would offer a command, as brigadier general, in case we go to war with Spain.

If we are to have another war I think old Confederates ought to be given the first chance.
*               *              *
Treat me as good as you did when I was your prisoner thirty-six years ago. If you enter the service and do not take me with you I shall be greatly disappointed.
                                                      Very respectfully yours,

In September, 1862, General Shelby of the Confederate Army was in camp on the Newtonia prairie, and it was reported that he had a force of 10,000 cavalry and several field batteries. On receipt of that report General Schofield, then in command of the Federal Army in the southwest, took the field. In making an attack on Shelby it was ordered by General Schofield that a brigade of cavalry commanded by Colonel George H. Hall of Missouri should make a night march and at daylight attack the Confederate camp from the east, and that he (General Schofield) with his infantry and artillery, would, at daylight, approach the Confederate camp from the west. Such was the plan, but when General Schofleld reached a point from which he could with his glass see the head of the cavalry column under Hall, a staff officer appeared and reported to General Schofleld that Shelby and his army were retreating south on the road leading to Pineville. On receipt of that report General Schofleld ordered General E. B. Brown to send a member of his staff to Colonel Hall and direct him to move forward with his command, and bring on an engagement, and that he (Schofleld) would support him with his infantry and artillery. What happened to Blodgett in his effort to execute that order has since been printed and told on many occasions. We copy from a statement, made at the time, by General E. B. Brown, and published in 1865 in a volume entitled "The Civil War in Song and Story, 1860-1865." The events described in that volume were selected and arranged by Frank Moore, who edited for the United States government the official records of the Union and Confederate Armies. In 1882 that volume w&s reissued and on page 71 thereof the following statement appears exactly as it did in the edition of 1865:
"One of the coolest and most extraordinary exploits of the war is thus described in a letter written by Brig. Gen. E. B. Brown, dated at Springfield, Mo., 1862. After a preliminary description of an engagement of the enemy eighteen miles from Newtonia, Gen. Brown proceeds;
" 'Then General (Schofleld) sent Lt. Blodgett with a single orderly with orders to Col. Hall of the 4th Missouri Cavalry, to move to the left and attack in that direction. The route of the lieutenant was across a piece of woods, in which he suddenly found himself facing a squad of the enemy drawn up in irregular line. Without a moment's hesitation he and the orderly drew their revolvers and charged. The cool impudence of the act nonplussed the foe, and, probably thinking there was a large force in the rear, eight of them threw down their arms and surrendered.
It is difficult for me to say which I admired most in the Lieutenant, his bravery in making the charge against such odds when to have hesitated a moment was certain death, or his presence of mind and coolness in offering to accept them as prisoners.
The orderly, too, deserves more than a passing notice. His name is Peter Basnett, and he was at one time Sheriff of Brown County, Wis.
The Lieutenant and orderly were well matched—both are quiet and determined men. I am glad to bear witness to the bravery and soldierly conduct of Lt. Wells H. Blodgett, and I hope he will be rewarded as he deserves.'"
The substance of the foregoing statement was contained in the official report of General Brown, and several years afterwards, at the request of General John C. Black of Illinois, the War Department examined the record and the following citation was then issued:
"Wells H. Blodgett was mustered into the service on the 18th day of September, 1861, to serve three years. He held the grade of Captain of Company 'D,' 37th Regiment, Illinois Volunteers, and a Medal of Honor is awarded to him for most distinguished gallantry in action, near Newtonia, Missouri, September 30th, 1862, where this officer, with a single orderly, captured an armed picket of eight men and marched them in as prisoners."
On the Medal the following words are engraved.
"The Congress to Colonel Wells H. Blodgett, 48th Regiment, Missouri Volunteers, for most distinguished gallantry near Newtonia, Missouri, September 30, 1862."
On December 7, 1862, the battle of Prairie Grove, Arkansas, was fought between the Federal and Confederate Armies in the southwest. In that campaign Lieutenant Blodgett was on duty as a staff officer, and, accompanied by a single orderly and a citizen guide, he conveyed messages and orders between General Frank J. Herron (Commanding the Army of the Frontier) and General James G. Blunt, who was then approaching the battle field with his division. For that service he (Blodgett) received the personal thanks of both the generals. In that battle his company, in the Thirty-seventh Illinois Volunteers, was commanded by Lieutenant William Johnson, who was killed in the action. On January 8, 1863, General Marmaduke, with a cavalry force, reported to be 3,000 strong, and a battery of six guns, made an attack on the military post at Springfield, Missouri. In the battle fought on that day General E. B. Brown (commanding the Federal forces) was severely wounded in the right shoulder, and Blodgett received a severe wound in his right leg above the knee. In March, 1863, Lieutenant Blodgett was commissioned by Governor Yates as Captain of Company D, Thirty-seventh Regiment, Illinois Volunteers, and on the face of that commission, above the signature of the Governor, the following words are written:
"Promoted for meritorious services at Pea Ridge,. Arkansas, March 7 and 8, 1862."
"Promoted for meritorious services at Prairie Grove,' Arkansas, December 7, 1862."
Early in April, 1863, the Thirty-seventh Regiment, Illinois Volunteers (Captain Blodgett commanding Company D), was rushed from southwestern Missouri into St. Louis in freight cars, and then hurried through the city to a steamer waiting at the wharf to transport the regiment to Cape Girardeau to meet and repel an attack upon that post by a Confederate force commanded by General Marmaduke. General John McNeil was in command of the Federal troops at the Cape, and as the men of the Thirty-seventh Regiment were moving off the steamer in the morning they were saluted by the roar of artillery in the very suburbs of the town, and quickly forming line at the wharf, and sending up a "yell" that could be heard by Marmaduke and his men, they went forward, double quick, 4o the position assigned them. It was soon discovered, however, that General Marmaduke and his troops were in retreat, and thereupon the Thirty-seventh Illinois (commanded by
Colonel John C. Black, and some other troops, followed in pursuit down through Bloomfield and on to the St. Francis river at Chalk Bluffs. In approaching the river the highway passed for some distance through a low bottom that was at that time rather sparsely covered with large trees and but little underbrush. When some two or three hundred yards from the river Colonel Black halted his regiment (37th Illinois) and ordered three companies (one of which was commanded by Captain Blodgett) to deploy as skirmishers and advance towards the river. That order was quickly obeyed, but when the skirmish line reached the river it was found that the bridge had been blown up and rendered impassable. The river at that point was not very broad, and as no enemy could be seen on the other side the men of the Thirty-seventh Regiment left their alignment and sat down on the fallen logs to rest and wait for orders. Soon, however, the silence was broken by the sharp crack of rifles from behind the stumps and trees on the other side, and as the river could not be crossed nor the enemy seen General Black directed his bugler to sound the retreat. In that affair Lieutenant Eaton of Company H, Thirty-seventh Illinois, was killed and two men of Company D of that regiment were wounded. In his official report General William Van diver (commanding the brigade)  stated:
"Colonel John C. Black, Thirty-seventh Illinois, brought his command gallantly into action, and deserves special mention for his services. I regret to announce the loss of Lieutenant Joseph Eaton, Thirty-seventh Regiment, Illinois Volunteers."
In April, 1863, Blodgett was commissioned by President Lincoln as Judge Advocate of the Army of the Frontier with the rank of Major of Cavalry in the Army of the United States. In September, 1864, he was commissioned by Governor Willard P. Hall of Missouri as Lieutenant Colonel of the Forty-eighth Regiment, Missouri Volunteers. In October, 1864, he was commissioned by Governor Hall Colonel of the Forty-eighth Regiment, Missouri Volunteers. In December, 1864, he was ordered to proceed with his regiment (Forty-eighth Missouri Volunteers) to Nashville, Tennessee, and report to General George H. Thomas, but while ascending the Cumberland river, from Paducah to Nashville, all traffic on the river was blocked by an artillery force commanded by the Confederate General Lyon, and during the delay so occasioned General Thomas moved out of Nashville with his army and the battle was fought in which the Confederate army under General Hood was defeated. Arriving at Nashville Colonel Blodgett, with the troops of his command, joined in the pursuit of Hood and followed the retreating army as far as Columbia and Pulaski, Tennessee. The war having ended with the surrender of Lee in April, 1865, Colonel Blodgett was, on the 1st of June, 1865, ordered to proceed to St. Louis with his regiment to be mustered out of the service. Upon its arrival in St. Louis his regiment was said to present a very fine appearance, and in the Missouri Democrat (now the Globe-Democrat) of June 12, 1865, the following complimentary notice appeared:
"As the Forty-eighth Missouri Infantry, Colonel Blodgett commanding, marched up Fourth street yesterday afternoon they halted in front of the Democrat office and gave three rousing cheers for the Missouri Democrat, the gallant Colonel proposing the compliment.
"We return our thanks to the Forty-eighth for its appreciation of our course, and promise them and all the other noble soldierly of the country who have been battling for the Union our hearty cooperation whenever the government shall call upon their valor and patriotism."
Again, on June 15, 1865, the following appeared in the same paper:
"This regiment was raised principally in the second congressional district. Its organization was completed at Rolla, and in November, 1864, it started for Nashville. In connection with the Forty-fifth and Forty-seventh Missouri Regiments, it opened the Cumberland river—at that time blockaded by the Confederate forces under General Lyon, and on account of that delay the Forty-eighth arrived at Nashville two days after the Confederate army under General Hood had been defeated by General Thomas. The Forty-eighth Regiment joined in the pursuit of the army under Hood and when that army had been driven across the Tennessee river the Forty-eighth returned and took post at Columbia, where it remained until April 1865. The officers have brought the regiment up to a perfection in drill and in the manual, which shows great energy on their part and great aptitude on the part of the men. We paid a visit yesterday morning to Benton Barracks, in company with General White, General McNeil tend Senator Henderson. While there we had the pleasure of witnessing their drill and dress parade of the regiment. The party was joined by Colonel Bonneville, commanding the Post, and by other distinguished visitors, both civil and military. Without notice of such intention from Colonel Blodgett, the men appeared promptly at the call of the bugle with their arms and accouterments in order; their evolutions and manual, as we have just stated, were admirable and elicited the warmest commendations from every one present. After forming into a square, Senator Henderson was introduced to the regiment by the commanding officer. Three cheers greeted his introduction, to which he replied in a brief but eloquent address. Senator Henderson paid a deserved compliment to the regiment for the high qualities it exhibited of discipline and proficiency in arms, and expressed the solicitude with which he had watched its course.
"General White was then introduced as a soldier who had served through the entire struggle. Many of the regiment seemed acquainted with that gentleman, and at the suggestion of someone in the ranks, three hearty cheers were given to him. General White also briefly addressed the regiment, complimenting the men and officers, as only a soldier can, on their military bearing and the proficiency they exhibited in their military acquirements. General McNeil was next introduced. Three cheers were accorded the General, whom all the regiment seemed to know. He also addressed the men and officers, praising the regiment for its appearance and the rapid proficiency it had shown, and expressing the belief that their experience and training in the service would make every man in the regiment a wiser and better citizen in civil life. The visit was in every respect a pleasant one, affording, as it did, independent of the parade, an interesting conversation with Colonel Bonneville; his reminiscences of St. Louis forty years ago were thrown in with great freshness and vivacity."
A letter from Colonel Bonneville reads:
                               St. Louis, Missouri, June 16, 1865.

Col. Blodgett,
48th Regiment, Mo. Vols. Inf.

Dear Sir:
I write this note to express my thanks for the cordial reception given me yesterday by the officers and men of your command.
I noted with pleasure their efficiency in the manual as well as in their Company and Battalion movements.
Please say to Senator Henderson that his words were grateful to the ears of an old soldier.
I am, sir,
                                                 Yours respectfully,
                                                            Bonneville, Comdr.

Colonel Bonneville, the author of the foregoing letter, and who is mentioned in the foregoing article quoted from the Missouri Democrat, was the famous Captain Bonneville of the regular army, whose thrilling adventures, at an early day in the far west, were so interestingly described by Washington Irving in his Volume entitled The Adventures of Captain Bonneville.

Following is the military record of Wells H. Blodgett:
(A)—April 17, 1861—Enlisted as private for three months in company commanded by Captain C. C. Marsh.
(B)—July 18, 1861—Enlisted as private for three years in Company D, Thirty-seventh Regiment,  Illinois Volunteers.
(C)—August 1, 1861—Commissioned by Governor Yates as First Lieutenant, Company D, Thirty-seventh Regiment, Illinois Volunteers.
(D)—January 1, 1863—Commissioned by Governor Yates as Captain, Company D, Thirty-seventh Regiment, Illinois Volunteers.
(E)—April 9, 1863—Commissioned by President Lincoln as Judge Advocate, Army of the Frontier, with rank of Major of Cavalry in Army of the United States.
(F)—-September 22, 1864—Commissioned by Governor Hall as Lieutenant Colonel Forty-eighth Regiment,  Missouri Volunteers.
(G)—November 25, 1864—Commissioned by Governor Hall as Colonel Forty-eighth Regiment, Missouri Volunteers.
(H)—July 1, 1865—Honorably mustered out of military service at St. Louis.

The esteem in which Colonel Blodgett was held by his regiment was clearly shown in the words they caused to be engraved upon the beautiful watch they presented to him on the day of their discharge from the service. The words are: "Presented as a token of admiration to Col. Wells H. Blodgett, 48th Regt. Mo. Vols., by his Officers, July 1st, 1865'
In July, 1865, after his regiment had been mustered out of the service, Colonel Blodgett married Miss Emma Dickson, of Dixon, Illinois, and immediately located at Warrensburg, Missouri, to begin the practice of his profession as a lawyer. In November, 1866, Colonel Blodgett was elected member of the Missouri legislature from Johnson county. In November, 1868, he was elected to the state senate for a term of four years, from the district composed of the counties of Johnson, Henry, Benton and St. Clair. In 1869 he prepared and on the 25th day of January of that year, he introduced in the Missouri senate the act providing for the establishment of two Normal schools in the state, one to be located north and the other south of the Missouri River. Under that act one Normal school was located at Kirksville and the other at Warrensburg. In 1873 he removed to St. Louis and became a member of the law firm of Blodgett £ Dickson. During the year 1873 he was employed as an assistant attorney of the St. Louis-Kansas City and Northern Railway Company, and in 1874 he was elected by its board of directors as the general attorney of the company. The last named company was soon afterwards consolidated with the Wabash Railway Company of Ohio, and the consolidated corporation took the name of the Wabash-St. Louis & Pacific Railway Company. At that time David Dudley Field and General Wager Swayne were general counsel for the company in New York, and Blodgett was its general solid-* tor with his office in St. Louis. As general solicitor he had supervision of all the litigation arising out of the operation of all the lines in the system. Under the advice and supervision of Mr. Jay Gould new lines were added until 1884, when there were, in round numbers, six thousand miles of road in the system. In the latter year the Wabash System fell into the hands of receivers, appointed by the federal courts, and the main lines remained in their hands until 1889 when they were reorganized under the name of The Wabash Railway Company. In December, 1911, the company again became insolvent, and on a bill filed in the federal courts by a general creditor, receivers (of all its property) were again appointed. The receivers so appointed were directed to take charge of all the property of the company without regard to mortgages, and by that order of the court, Wells H. Blodgett was appointed counsel for the receivers. Later on the trustees in the First Refunding and Extensions Mortgage filed their bill, in the federal court, to foreclose that mortgage. In that foreclosure proceeding the creditors, secured by the Refunding and Extensions Mortgage, were only entitled to the proceeds arising from a sale of the property therein described. And in order to ascertain exactly what property was covered by that mortgage, he (Blodgett), as counsel for the receivers under the creditors' bill, filed in said court a petition for an accounting, which is now (1920) pending before a special commissioner. In politics he is, and always has been, a republican. During the Civil war he was in favor of refusing the ballot to all who would not take an oath to support the federal constitution, but when Lee surrendered and the war was over, he was among the first to advocate a restoration of the ballot to every citizen.
Speaking of his early years with the St. Louis-Kansas City and Northern Railway Company, Colonel Blodgett recalled that among its directors were such men as James B. Eads, who designed and constructed the St. Louis Bridge and Tunnel Railroad, and who afterwards, by his skill as an engineer, gave to commerce a channel at the mouth of the Mississippi river that now enables the oceangoing ships to receive and discharge their cargoes at the dock in New Orleans. On that same board was Thomas A. Scott of the Pennsylvania System (commonly known as "Tom Scott") who, in his day, was thought to be without a peer in the science of railroad construction and operation. Again, in the operating department of the Kansas City and Northern Company, was William C. Van Horn, who afterwards constructed and operated the great Canadian Pacific System, and who, when knighted by King Edward, became known as Sir William Van Horn. On the Wabash board in those early days were such well known men as James F. Joy of Michigan, Solon Humphreys, Jay Gould, Russell Sage, Thomas H. Hubbard, O. D. Ashley and E. T. Jeffrey of New York, and among the younger men who grew up on that line was Charles M. Hays, who went from the Wabash to the Grand Trunk Company of Canada, and as its general manager constructed and operated the lines extending across the continent from Montreal to the Pacific ocean. It will be recalled that the wonderful career of Mr. Hays was suddenly ended when the Titanic, the great ocean liner, on her first voyage collided with an iceberg in mid-ocean. And speaking again of his forty years of service on the Wabash lines Colonel Blodgett said to the editor of this sketch that he could not recall a single instance in which, during all that time, he had received an unkind look or word from either an' associate or superior.
Colonel Blodgett has three children, one son and two daughters. His son, Henry W. Blodgett, was United States District Attorney at St. Louis, and is now a member of the state senate of Missouri, and his two daughters, Margaret and Edith, reside at the family home, 4449 West Pine Boulevard, St. Louis. He has membership in Blair Post, Grand Army; Missouri Commandery Loyal Legion; Society Army Tennessee; Society Army Cumberland; St. Louis Club; Noonday Club.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

BLODGETT, Wells Howard, lawyer; born, Downer's Grove, Du Page Co., Illinois, Jan. 29, 1839; son of Israel P. and Avis Blodgett; educated at Illinois Institute (now Wheaton College), Wheaton, ILL.; served in Union Army in Civil War, 1861-65; received congressional medal of honor for gallant and meritorious service in 1862, and in July, 1865, was mustered out as colonel of the 48th Regiment of Missouri Volunteers; married, Waukegan, ILL., July, 1865, Emma Dickson; children: Margaret, Henry and Edith. Studied law previous to Civil War and was admitted to bar in 1861; resumed practice after war and has continued ever since; member Missouri House of Representatives, 1866-68, and of State Senate, 1868-72; assistant attorney, 1873-74, and general attorney, 1874-79, St. Louis, Kansas City and Northern R. R.; general solicitor of the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Ky., 1879-84; general counsel for the receivers, Wabash Lines, 1884-89; general solicitor, 1889-1900, vice pres­ident and general counsel, 1900-1911, general counsel for receivers since Dec. 11, 1911, Wabash R. R. Member St. Louis Bar Association. Member of Blair Post No. 1, G. A. R., and Missouri Commandery Loyal Legion. Clubs: Mercantile, Noonday. Office: R. 1110, 706 Chestnut St. Residence: 4449 W. Pine Street.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


Richard Werner Boisselier, a certified public accountant of St. Louis, was born September 17, 1862, in the city which is still his home. His father was Charles Gerhardt Boisselier, a native of Birkenswee, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, and a grandson of Casper Dethart Boisselier, who was the founder of the American branch of the .family, arriving in St. Louis in 1827. He was of French descent, his ancestor being one of the Huguenots who were driven out of France at the time of the suspension of the edict of Nantes, who settled in Bremen, Germany, which was then a free city. His descendants emigrated to Schleswig-Holstein. The grandfather, Casper D. Boisselier, was a farmer who located in St. Louis county, Missouri, taking up his abode in Bonhomme township, where he cleared a tract of land and developed a farm, residing thereon for a number of years but afterwards returning to Schleswig-Holstein, leaving his three sons in America. Two of the sons, Martin and Edward, became farmers in St. Louis county, while the youngest, Charles Gerhardt Boisselier, was first employed as a clerk in St. Louis and later established a hardware business at Thirteenth street and Franklin avenue, where he conducted his store for many years. In 1866 he, too, returned to Schleswig-Holstein, taking with him his four children: his son Richard W., also one younger son, and two daughters. Charles G. Boisselier, during his visit abroad, passed away in his native country. While he possessed a love of his native province which belonged to Denmark, he sympathized with Germany, and when Schleswig-Holstein became a part of the German Empire he proclaimed American citizenship for his children, while in his native country he conducted his father's farm which he later inherited.
Richard W. Boisselier was educated in Schleswig-Holstein and in Bremen, and early In 1873 he returned to the United States, settling in St. Louis. After he had been in this country for two years his brother followed him to St. Louis and a little later the German government tried to have them return to Germany with the object of forcing them to enter military service, but Mr. Boisselier of this review had become imbued with the spirit of American liberty and he and his brother refused to leave the United States. After much diplomatic correspondence the matter was finally adjusted.
On the 1st of February, 1891, Mr. Boisselier entered the profession of public accountancy and when the state established a certified public accountant's degree on the 13th of October, 1909, Mr. Boisselier qualified and has since been actively engaged in the practice of his profession. In point of time he is the dean of the profession in St. Louis.
On the 6th of June, 1889, in Highland, Illinois, Mr. Boisselier was married to Miss Carrie Louise Crouch, a native of Marine, Illinois, a daughter of the late Dr. Crouch of that place, the latter a representative of an old Vermont family. Mrs. Boisselier, during the World war, was very active in Red Cross work. Mr. Boisselier is identified with many organizations, which indicate the nature and trend of his interests. He belongs to the Merchants Exchange, Missouri Athletic Association, the Apollo Club, the American Philatelic Association, the Missouri State Historical Society, the Million Population Club, the Automobile Club of St. Louis, the American Institute of Public Accountants, the St. Louis Stamp Collectors Society, the Universal Brotherhood, Theosophical Society of Point Loma, California, and the Child Labor Committee of New York. He is also a member of the Altenheim Society. Politically he maintains an independent course, voting according to the dictates of his Judgment. His experiences have been wide and varied, making him a man of liberal culture and progressive views.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Charles D. Bolin, president and treasurer of the American Thermometer Company of St. Louis, is a descendant of 'an old Virginian family that was represented in the Revolutionary war. He was born in Princeton, Indiana, August 29, 1866, and is a son of Benjamin T. and Alta (Baker) Bolin. At different periods during his boyhood the family home was maintained in Tennessee and in Arkansas,' so that he pursued his education in the public schools of those states. He also took a commercial course in a business college at Memphis, Tennessee, subsequent to which time he began learning the printing trade in Forrest City, Arkansas. He was reared on a farm in the latter state and had early become familiar with the methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops. His advantages were somewhat limited during his youthful days and it was after attending the public schools that he qualified for his business career by attending a commercial college at night. He was a youth of seventeen when he entered upon an apprenticeship in a printing office in Forrest t3ity, Arkansas, and later accepted a position in a woolen mill at Jackson, Tennessee. He next entered the employ of the Memphis & Charleston Railroad Company at Memphis as an apprentice in car building and later accepted a more lucrative position with an insurance company, becoming solicitor for the Union Central Life Insurance Company of Memphis. He was afterward transferred to St. Louis and promoted to the position of general agent, remaining with the Union Central from 1893 until 1912. At this time he resigned because in the meantime he had invested in banking and manufacturing enterprises and* had constantly extended his business connections, which by 1912 had become of a most important character. In 1918 he was elected president of the St. Louis & St. Charles Bridge Company and was also made president and treasurer of the American Thermometer Company of St. Louis. He is likewise vice president of the Easton Taylor Trust Company of St. Louis, is a director of the Grand Avenue Bank and vice president of the St. Louis Crystal Water & Soda Company. His business interests and connections have thus become extensive and his sound judgment and cooperation are sought in the conduct of various business concerns. He displays keen sagacity in discriminating between the essential and the non-essential in business affairs and has employed the most constructive measures in upbuilding the various interests with which he is identified.
On the 5th of June, 1889, in Memphis, Tennessee, Mr. Bolin was married to Miss Minnie Richmond, a daughter of Captain Edward and Tranquilla Richmond, the former -a planter and slave owner in antebellum days in Tennessee. Both parents have passed away. Mr. and Mrs. Bolin have a family of five children: Alline; Ray, who is president of the Crystal Water & Soda Company of St. Louis; Mary Jane; Virginia; and Dorothy, who is a student in the Mary Institute of St. Louis and will graduate at the early age of sixteen.
Mr. Bolin is a member of the Missouri Athletic Club, also of the Glen Echo Club of St. Louis. He is well known in Masonic circles, having attained the Knights Templars degree in the York Rite and he has also taken the Scottish Rite degrees and Shrine—in fact is a member of every branch of Masonry. He belongs to the Methodist church and his life has ever been actuated by high and honorable principles. He is prominently and widely known in business and social circles, having for more than two decades been closely associated with many of the progressive business interests of St. Louis, where his ability, forcefulness and resourcefulness are widely recognized.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Col. Benjamin G. BrinkmanColonel Benjamin G. Brinkman, vice president of the La Fayette South Side Bank and identified with several other business interests of St. Louis, was born in this city in 1885. His father, William F. Brinkman, was a native of Franklin county, Missouri, and was formerly engaged in the iron and steel business but is now living retired in St. Louis. He wedded Mary Wolken, who was born in St. Louis, a daughter of Henry Wolken, a representative of one of the old families of this city.
Benjamin G. Brinkman obtained his education by attending the public and high schools of St. Louis and St. Mary's College at Dayton, Ohio, being graduated from the latter institution. He initiated his business experience in connection with banking in 1905, when he entered the La Fayette Bank, with which he remained as assistant cashier until 1916, when the institution was consolidated with the South Side Bank under the name of the La Fayette South Side Bank, at which time Mr. Brinkman was chosen vice president and still fills that position, bending his efforts to administrative direction and executive control in this connection. His fifteen years' experience in banking have well qualified him for the onerous and responsible duties that devolve upon him. He has ever recognized the fact that the bank is most worthy of support which most carefuly safeguards the interests of its depositors and in bank management he has always followed that course. He is a director to the South Side Trust Company and is president of the Yaryan products in the world. He was also at one time president of the Cardinal Base-Rosin & Turpentine Company of Brunswick, Georgia, the largest producers of these ball Club of St. Louis.
On the 1st of September, 1909, in St. Louis, Colonel Brinkman was married to Miss Marie Doerr, a daughter of P. J. Doerr, formerly president of the La Fayette Bank, and they now have a son, Jerome, who is ten years of age. The parents attend St. Margaret's Catholic church and Colonel Brinkman gives his political allegiance to the democratic party. He has served as colonel on the governor's staff and has been captain of the Missouri Home Guard, commanding Troop A. He was also general of the South St. Louis district in the Liberty Loan drives. His personal popularity is manifest whenever he visits the various clubs with which he is identified. He belongs to the Sunest Hill Gun Club, the Century Boat Club, the River-view Club, the St. Louis Club and the Liederkranz Club, of which he was formerly the president. He has a wide acquaintance in St. Louis, where he is highly esteemed as a representative and progressive financier and as a well known and popular clubman.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


William Cox BrownWilliam Cox Brown is the treasurer of the Pioneer Cooperage Company of St. Louis, which had its inception at an early period in the industrial development of this city. In fact the name of Brown has been closely associated with business enterprise here for three-quarters of a century for in 1845 William Brown, father of William Cox Brown, arrived from the east and thereafter remained a factor in the industrial and business development of the city to the time of his death. The son was born in St. Louis, January 23, 1858. He pursued a public school education and received his early business training under the direction of his father, who established a lumber and milling company at Cape Girardeau, Missouri. After a brief period, however, he returned to St. Louis and became one of the organisers of the enterprise that eventually assumed the name of the Pioneer Cooperage Company. Following the death of the father in? 1888, Daniel S. Brown, brother of William Cox Brown, became the head of the company and so continued until his demise. Both the father and brother are mentioned at length on another page of this work. William Cox Brown remained an active factor in the management and control of the business in association with his brother for a number of years and eventually was elected treasurer of the concern, which is one of the most important enterprises of the kind in this section of the country. He also spent a part of his time with the branch house that was established in Chicago but later concentrated his efforts upon the further development of the St. Louis business in association with his brother, Daniel S. Brown.
In 1889 William Cox Brown was united in marriage to Miss Ottilie Eisenhardt, and by this marriage has one daughter, Dorothy Lydia Brown. Mrs. Brown passed away in 1893, and in 1896 Mr. Brown wedded Miss Edna Histed, of St. Louis, and they have become the parents of two sons, William Cox, Jr., and Warren Elliott.
Mr. Brown is a man of most charitable and kindly spirit who makes generous response to many calls for aid and is always willing to extend a helping hand to a fellow traveler on life's journey. He is a member of the Missouri Athletic Club, but his time outside of business is largely devoted to his home, where his interest centers for he finds his greatest happiness, at his own fireside. In business affairs he fully sustains an honored family name and manifests the same spirit of enterprise that has characterized the entire connection of the Brown family with the cooperage development of St. Louis. At all times he keeps in touch with the trend of public thought and feeling and his aid and, influence are ever on the side of progress and improvement.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


William Christy BryanBryan, William Christy
Following his graduation from the St. Louis Law School as a member of the class of 1894, William Christy Bryan entered upon the practice of his profession in St. Louis, where he has since continued, advancing steadily from that dreary novitiate which usually awaits the young member of the bar to a place of prominence in professional circles, his life record standing in contradistinction to the old adage that "a prophet is never without honor save in his own country. A native of St. Louis, William C. Bryan was born on the 6th of April, 1868, and is descended from an old and prominent family of North Carolina, in which state his grandfather, the Hon. John H. Bryan, was born and reared. He became a distinguished lawyer there and member of congress from his district from 1824 until 1828. He then declined reelection, but although he retired from official life, his labors and opinions continued to be an influencing factor on public thought and action in his state, and when he passed away the state government requested permission to hang his picture in the capitol at Raleigh.
His son, Francis T. Bryan, also a native of North Carolina, was a West Point student, being there graduated with the class of 1846, after which he did active duty with the topographical engineering corps until 1861, when he resigned, having in the meantime surveyed the line between North Carolina and Virginia, also the proposed ship canal route across Florida and the present route of the Union Pacific Railroad. He likewise made early government surveys of much of the western country and was thus in the vanguard of that movement which opened up the great west to the influences and labors of civilization. He served as a soldier of the Mexican war and was brevetted lieutenant for gallantry and good conduct at the battle of Buena Vista. Subsequently he was in action against the Indians. In 1855 he was stationed in St. Louis, where his remaining days were passed. In early manhood he wedded Edmonia Taylor, a daughter of Nathaniel P. and Matilda Nicholas (Christy) Taylor, the latter a daughter of William Christy, who was a distinguished citizen of St. Louis and in whose honor the subject of this review was named. His old home, erected in 1814 at Second and Monroe streets, is still standing, one of the interesting early landmarks of the city. There was also an interesting military chapter in his life record, for he served under command of Generals Wayne and St. Clair in the Revolutionary war and participated in the expedition against Vincennes, Indiana. His father was Thomas Christy, who had come to America with Braddock's army. In the family of Mr. and Mrs. Francis T. Bryan there were six sons, four of whom are yet living: Francis T., who became a business man of Chicago; P. Taylor, a member of the St. Louis bar; William C; and Dr. Richard Shepard Bryan, who became a well known member of the medical fraternity of St. Louis. Another son, Dr. John H. Bryan, was also a physician, practicing to the time of his death, while George Frederick, the fourth child of the family, died in infancy.
William Christy Bryan, who was the fifth in order of birth, supplemented his public school education by study in Smith's Academy and in Racine College of Racine, Wisconsin, while later he entered Princeton University and there won the Bachelor of Arts degree upon graduation in 1891. He made preparation for the bar in the St. Louis Law School and won his Bachelor of Law degree as a member of the class of 1894. The previous year, however, he had been admitted to practice and has since been active as an attorney of St. Louis, giving his attention to general practice but largely specializing in civil law. His success in a professional way affords the best evidence of his capabilities in this line. The wide research and provident care which he has always displayed in the preparation of his cases has made him notable among lawyers. In no instance has his reading ever been confined to the limitations of the questions at issue; it has gone beyond and compassed every contingency and provided not alone for the expected but for the unexpected, which happens in the courts quite as frequently as out of them. His logical grasp of facts and principles of the law applicable to them has been another potent element in his success, and a remarkable clearness of expression, an adequate and precise diction which enables him to make others understand not only the salient points of his argument but his every fine gradation of meaning, may be accounted one of his most conspicuous gifts and accomplishments.
Mr. Bryan was married in St. Louis, June 3, 1896, to Miss Mary Walker White, a native of Tennessee and a daughter of R. J. and Anne (Walker) White, natives of Madison county, Kentucky. The only son of this marriage, William Christy Bryan, Jr., was born October 7, 1899. The parents are communicants of the Episcopal church and Mr. Bryan has since 1903 been a member of the board of management of the St. Louis Industrial School. He belongs to the Ridgedale and Sunset Hill Country Clubs, to the St. Louis, Missouri State and American Bar Associations and the St. Louis Law Library Association. He has ever voted with the democratic party and was its candidate for Judge of the district court in 1904. However, he has always preferred to concentrate his attention and energies upon the private practice of law and his devotion to his clients' interests has ever been a forceful factor in his successful career. Whatever he does is for the best interests of his clients and for the honor of his profession. No man gives to either a more unqualified allegiance or riper ability.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Louis Buschart, president of the Buschart Bros. Printing Company of St. Louis, was born March 4, 1868, in the family home, then situated at Second and Walnut streets. His father, Edward Buschart, was a native of Belgium and became a resident of Waverly, Missouri, in 1845, when in 1860 he removed to St. Louis. He was a tailor by trade and conducted a tailoring establishment at Third and Locust streets until 1869, when his place of business was destroyed by fire. He later was connected with and worked for different firms in the tailoring business until the time of his death in April, 1895. His wife, Mrs. Catherine Buschart, was of German descent, and in their family there were five children, three sons and two daughters, all of whom are living. The three brothers are engaged in the printing business as members of the firm of the Buschart Brothers Printing Company, with Louis Bus-chart as the president, Edward as secretary and treasurer and Charles Buschart as vice president and manager. The two daughters of the family, Ida and Philippine, are engaged in the millinery business at No. 2852 North Grand avenue.
In his youthful days Louis Buschart received but limited educational advantages, for the family was in somewhat straitened financial circumstances and he had to start out in the business world at an early age and aid in providing for the expenses of the father's household. Though he attended school for only a brief period he has since learned many valuable lessons in the school of experience and is now a well informed and practical, business man. He had to work hard, however, from the time he was ten years of age but his training was such as laid the foundation for his success in later years. The present firm of the Buschart Brothers Printing Company was organized in 1896, their first location being at No. 1516 Locust street where they had a small printing press. They remained at their original location fifteen years, during which time they built up a good business whose continual growth necessitated their seeking larger and better quarters. Accordingly in 1896 they leased the present site where they have continued to develop their business and where they are conducting a general line of commercial printing, stationery and bookbinding. The building which they occupy is sixty-five by one hundred and fifty feet, a three story concrete structure equipped with modern printing presses and other necessary machinery to carry on the business. The firm employs an average of seventy-five people. They do soliciting in the city and state for stationery and general printing and their business has become one of large and gratifying proportions.
In St. Louis on the 20th of October, 1889, Mr. Buschart was married to Miss Sophie Shattgen of this city, a daughter of Peter Shattgen. They have six children. William Louis, who is with the printing company in charge of the stationery department; Mrs. Ruth Armerding, the wife of Ludwig Armerding, a grain dealer of Chicago; Grace, the wife of George R. Nelson of Minneapolis; Charles, twenty years of age, who is with the Purina Mills of St. Louis; and Catherine and Margaret, who are high school pupils of this city.
Mr. Buschart is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, also a member of the Brethren. In politics he is a republican. He has been a lifelong resident of St. Louis and has witnessed the development and growth of the city for many years. For almost four decades he has been prominently known in business circles here and his position in connection with the printing trade is an enviable one. Step by step he has advanced, his progress being due to his energy and ability, and he has justly won the proud American title of a self-made man.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.