St. Louis County
" B "
BABBITT, Byron Fenner, lawyer, U. S. commissioner; born, Corry, Pa., Apr. 4, 1874; son of Charles O. and Susan (Thayer) Babbitt; graduated from Corry High School, 1893, Corry Business College, 1894, Washington University Law School, St. Louis, LL.B., 1899; married, St. Louis, Nov. 6, 1901, Nellie A. Bagnell. Came to St. Louis from Corry, Pa., Nov. 6, 1895; resided with uncle, late Judge A. M. Thayer, U. 8. circuit judge, 8th Circuit; was his private secretary and also later private secretary to Judge Elmer B. Adams, U. S. circuit judge, for four years; studied law under Judge Thayer and at law school. Admitted to bar, 1899; appointed U. S. commissioner in January, 1901; reappointed Jan. 1, 1905, by Judge Adams, and again appointed Jan. 1, 1909, by Judge Dyer. Member American Bar Association, St. Louis Bar Association. Republican. Episcopalian (St. George's Chapel). Club: Masonic. Recreation: golf. Office: 1605 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 4477 Berlin Ave.
BABLER, Edmund Adam, surgeon; born, Appleton City, Mo., Oct. 11, 1875; son of H. J. and Sarah Saloma (Luchsinger) Babler; educated at El Dorado Normal and Business College and graduated from Missouri Medical College (now Medical Department Washington University), M.D., cum laude, 1898; unmarried. Was for two years interne St. Louis City Hospital; since 1900 engaged in general surgical practice. Surgeon Deaconess Hospital; visiting surgeon City Hospital; medical director International Life Insurance Co. Member City Hospital Alumni Medical Society, St. Louis Medical Society (corresponding secretary), Missouri State Medical Association. Associate editor St. Louis Courier of Medicine, American Medical Association. Republican. Methodist. Clubs: Arcadia, Missouri Athletic. Recreation: chess. Office: 1204, 915 Olive St. Residence: 4826 Delmar Ave.
BABLER, Jacob L., first vice president International Life Insurance Co.; born, Monroe, Wis., May 3, 1872; son of Henry J. and Saloma (Luchsinger) Babler; educated in public schools of El Dorado Springs, Mo., and Law Department, Washington University; unmarried. Began in life insurance business, 1902; was appointed manager New York Life office at New Haven, Conn., 1904; transferred to Buffalo, N. Y., 1905, and was manager and agency director for company in that city for three years; appointed manager territory west of Missouri River for North American Life, of Newark, N. J., Feb. 1, 1907, and continued with the company until 1909; organized the International Life Insurance Co. of St. Louis and is now it’s first vice president, also general manager agencies. Republican; former member Republican State Central Committee. Methodist. Member Knights of Pythias, B. P. O. Elks. Recreations: motoring and baseball. Office: Syndicate Trust Bldg. Residence: Marquette Hotel.
BACHMANN, Otto, optician; born, St. Louis, July 22, 1880; son of Francis Xavier and Mary (Hunckler) Bachmann; educated in public schools of St. Louis; married, Nov. 18, 1905, Miss Katherine Moerschel; two children: Irma Ida, Jacob Moerschel. Began active career with the Erker Bros. Optical Co., and continued for seven years, learning the business; became connected with the Western Optical Mfg. Co. in 1900; was it’s secretary and treasurer from Sept. 15, 1905, to Dec. 14, 1910, when acquired sole ownership in the business and became president of the company. Member Credit Men's Association. Catholic. Independent Democrat. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Century Boat, Liederkranz (director), Million Population. Recreations: tennis and golf. Office: 1002 Olive St; factory: 703-709 Holland Bldg. Residence: 3444 Halliday St.
BACON, Gary Harrison, grain commission; born, Louisville, Ky., Oct. 8, 1869; son of Byron and Fanny Young (Montgomery) Bacon; educated in public schools of Louisville and Chicago; married, St. Louis, June 22, 1893, Leva Sherry. Began business career as settling clerk with E. W. Bailey & Co., Chicago Board of Trade, 1886-93; then went to Louisville, Ky., and engaged in stock and bond brokerage business as the representative of New York companies until 1902; came to St. Louis and acquired an interest in the Sherry Bacon Grain Co., grain receivers and shippers, of which was at first vice president and is now president. Member St. Louis Merchants' Exchange, Chicago Board of Trade, Kansas City Board of Trade, Sons of American Revolution, Society of Colonial Wars. Presbyterian. Mason (Scottish Rite). Club: Traffic, of St. Louis. Recreation: reading. Office: 213 Chamber of Commerce. Residence: 5875 Cates Ave.
BACON, Frederick Hampden, lawyer; born, Niles, Mich., May 5, 1849; son of Nathaniel and Caroline S. (Lord) Bacon; graduated from Niles High School, June, 1866; studied in literary department, University of Michigan, two year; married, Niles, Mich., July 18, 1882, Clara J. Cleland; children: Ethel E., Clare Marie. Engaged in practice of law since 1871, and in St. Louis since 1874; practices alone. Author of "Bacon on Benefit Societies and Life Insurance," a standard legal text book. Lecturer Benton Law School since 1898. Republican. Presbyterian. Member St. Louis Bar Association, St. Louis Law Library Association. Mason (33°), Knight Templar, Shriner. Club: Mercantile. Office: 211 N. 7th St. Residence: 5217 Raymond Ave.
BAER, Julius Adler, vice president Stix, Baer & Fuller Dry Goods Co.; born in Germany, Sept. 1, 1861; son of Lazarus and Ernestina (Weil) Baer; educated in public and high schools at Sulzburg in Baden, Germany; came to United States, 1878; married, Fort Smith, Ark., Apr. 16, 1890, Freda Adler; one son: Arthur Bernard. Began business career at Fort Smith, 1878, and was connected with store of J. Adler until 1880; conducted general store, Magazine, Logan Co., Ark., 1880-85; opened store, "The Boston Store," Van Buren, Ark, 1885; also opened two stores at Springfield and Nevada, Mo.; sold out these two stores, 1888, in order to devote all his time to the Boston Store of Fort Smith, Ark., remaining there until 1892, when he came to St. Louis and joined in organizing Stix, Baer & Fuller Dry Goods Co., of which is vice president. Republican. Mason. Clubs: Columbian, Mercantile, Westwood Country, Triple A. Recreation: fishing. Office: cor. Washington Ave. and 6th St. Residence: 11 Washington Terrace. Summer Residence: Oden, Mich.
BAER, Samuel Harold, vice president and treasurer Blanke Baer Chemical Co.; born, Fort Smith, Ark., Jan. 4, 1876; son of Herman and Louise (Mergentine) Baer; graduated Michigan Military Academy, Orchard Lake, Mich., 1892; University of Michigan, B.S. in chemistry, 1896; A.M., Ph.D., University of Leipzig, Germany, 1898; married, St. Louis, Dec. 30, 1903, Ann Louise Brown. Was member of firm of Mergentine & Lamm, New York, 1898-1906; in 1906 became secretary and treasurer, and Jan. 1, 1912, was elected vice president and treasurer, Blanke Baer Chemical Co. (successors to The Arkwright Co.), manufacturers of flavoring extracts and essences, essential oils and colors, canned fruits, fountain fruits and syrups, and Dr. Arkwright Specialties. Secretary of Flavoring Extract Manufacturers' Association of the United States; member American Chemical Society, Society of Chemical Industry of London. Member Eureka Lodge No. 243, A. F. & A. M., New York. Clubs: Million Population, also University of Michigan and Chemists, of New York. Recreations: literature and tennis. Office: 212 8. 7th St. Residence: 5575 Waterman Ave.
BAER, Sigmund, secretary and treasurer Stix, Baer & Fuller Dry Goods Co.; born in Baden, Germany, July 5, 1862; son of Lazarus and Ernestina (Weil) Baer; educated in public and high schools in Germany; married, Fort Smith, Ark., Aug. 28, 1890, Marie Pappenheimer; children: Lewis and Sidney. Came from Germany, 1879, to Fort Smith, Ark., arriving in America with less than $100 in his pocket. Began business career on a salary of $3.00 a week, and today is in the management of one of the largest business concerns in the country, employing about 2,000 persons. Was a member of firm of Baer Bros. & Fuller, at Fort Smith, and is still director of the Boston Store there; came to St. Louis, 1892, and was one of the organizers of the firm of Stix, Baer & Fuller Dry Goods Co., incorporated, 1897, and has been secretary and treasurer of the company from the time of its organization. Republican. Clubs: Columbian, Mercantile, Westwood Country. Recreation: European trips. Office: corner Washington Ave. and Broadway. Residence: 5314 Waterman Avenue.
BAGNELL, William, contractor, lumberman; born, Province of Quebec, Can., Apr. 14, 1843; son of Captain William and Amelia Bagnell; educated in public schools of Toronto, Canada; married, Kansas City, Mo., 1889, Sallie A. Adams, daughter of the late Andrew Adams and niece of the late Judge Washington Adams of the Supreme Court of Missouri (both of Boonville, Mo.); children: William (died in infancy), Effie A. (Mrs. W. S. Culbertson, of Louisville) and Robert A. Came to United States in 1864, and has ever since been located in St. Louis and engaged as a contractor in railroad construction under firm name of Bagnell Bros.; since 1889, president of the Bagnell Timber Co., dealers in railroad material. Also director Mississippi Valley Trust Co. Episcopalian. Member A. F. & A. M. Clubs: St. Louis, St. Louis Country (life member), Noonday. Favorite recreations: golf, fishing and hunting, horseback riding. Office: 427 Title Guaranty Bldg. Residence: 12 Westmoreland Place.
BAIER, Frank William, Grand Treasurer Knights of Honor of Missouri; born, Peoria, ILL., Feb. 16, 1856; son of Henry and Marie (Glaenzer) Baier; educated in Peoria Grammar School, Pekin (ILL.) High School, and graduated from Polytechnic College, Bayreuth, Germany, 1873; unmarried. Began in jewelry business as apprentice in Pekin, ILL., 1873; came to St. Louis, May, 1876, and entered employ of J. Son & Co., then at 318 N. 4th St., succeeded the firm in business in 1886, remaining at old stand until 1900, when removed to 205 N. 8th St.; since retired from business in own name. Member Red Cross Lodge No. 54, Knights of Pythias, St. Louis Council No. 6, Legion of Honor, and St. Louis Lodge No. 13, Knights of Honor; has held various offices in these lodges and is now Grand Treasurer of Knights of Honor of Missouri. Favorite recreation: baseball. Office: 612 N. Broadway. Residence: 3447 Shenandoah Ave.
BAILEY, Howard, dealer in live stock; born, Scott Co., Ky., Oct. 24, 1861; son of Leonidas and Susan H. (Cooke) Bailey; educated Georgetown College, Ky.; married, June 7, 1905, Louise Salmon. Has interest in a number of St. Louis enterprises; since 1898 vice president Maxwell & Crouch Mule Co., located at National Stock Yards, St. Clair Co., ILL.; director and stockholder "09" Ranch & Cattle Co. of Texas. Clubs: St. Louis, Glen Echo. Recreations: farming, golf. Office: National Stock Yards, 111. Residence: St. Regis Apartments.
BAILEY, Warren, dealer in live stock; born, Georgetown, Ky., Oct. 22, 1859; son of Leonidas and Susan H. (Cooke) Bailey; educated at Georgetown College, Ky.; married, Jan. 5, 1897, Rena, daughter of James W. Morrison, of Fayette, Mo.; one daughter: Carolyn S. Came to Missouri in 1886; has interest in several enterprises in St. Louis and elsewhere in this and other states; since 1898 president of the Maxwell & Crouch Mule Co., operating at the National Stock Yards, St. Clair Co., ILL., and is actively engaged in that business. Member Business Men's League. Clubs: St. Louis, Bellerive, Recreation: golf. Office: National Stock Yards, ILL. Residence: 4048 Westminster Place.
Bain, George, merchant and manufacturer, was born May 5, 1836, in the ancient town of Stirling, Scotland, and died in St. Louis, October 22, 1891. His parents were Robert S. and Charlotte (Brown) Bain, and his father was the last of the governors of Stirling Castle, at one time a favorite abode of the kings of Scotland. His earlier education was obtained in a classical school in Stirling and completed at Montreal, Canada, to which city his parents removed when he was about fifteen years of age. After living at Montreal about three years, he went to Portland, Maine, his father's family having, in the meantime, removed to Picton, Canada, on the north shore of Lake Ontario, where the elder Bain occupied a responsible position in the government service. At Portland George Bain became connected with an importing house, in which he filled a position of trust and responsibility for two years. Leaving Portland about the time he attained his majority, he came West as far as Chicago and established the commission house of Bain & Clark, which failed soon afterward as a result of the monetary panic of 1857.
BAIN, Robert Edward Mather, passenger agent; born, Chicago, ILL., Aug. 9, 1858; son of George and Clara (Mather) Bain; educated at Washington University; married, St. Louis, Nov. 3, 1880, Mary Valle; children: Marie Zoo (Mrs. C. B. R. Fitz William), Catherine (Mrs. E. C. Bennett), George Valle, Marguerite Desloge (Mrs. Charles Henry Adams, of New Orleans), Lucie Clara. Was clerk in Atlantic Mills, 1875-79; broker in foreign exchange, 1879-82; foreign insurance and freight agent, 1882-84; freight and passenger agent, Anchor Line, 1883-85; passenger agent White Star Line, etc., 1884-96; general Southwestern passenger agent, White Star and Holland-America Lines, for entire southwestern United States, 1897-1903; since Feb. 1, 1903, Southwestern passenger agent, International Mercantile Marine Co. Vice president Colonial Leaf Tobacco Co.; was captain of Bain Zouaves, 1879-86; member Missouri legislature, 1884-86. Member Business Men's League, Civic League, Missouri Historical Society. Amateur photographer; traveled through lower Egypt, Palestine, Turkey, Greece and Italy, taking photographs for purpose of illustrating "Earthly Footsteps of the Man of Galilee," also illustrated "Child's Bible," "Romance of Palestine," etc., and is contributor to various photographic journals and annuals. President St. Louis Photographic Society, 1895-1901. Inventor. Chairman of Group Jury and member Department International Jury of Award of St. Louis World's Fair. Recreation: gardening. Office: Century Bldg. Residence: 3801 Flora Boulevard
BAIRD, William Edward, associate city counselor; born, Cornersville, Marshall Co., Tenn., Oct. 7, 1876; son of William E. and Martha Elizabeth (Gordon) Baird; prepared for college at Webb School, Bell Buckle, Tenn., 1892-95; A.B., Vanderbilt University, 1899; LL.B., Columbia Law School, New York, 1899, 1902; A.M., Columbia University, 1902; married, Moberly, Mo., Apr. 22, 1909, Anna Seelen. Editor of Columbia Law Review, 1901-02; admitted to St. Louis bar, 1902, and since engaged in practice in St. Louis; in December, 1910, appointed associate city counselor. Lecturer at St. Louis University Institute of Law. Assistant to general counsel of Louisiana Purchase Exposition Co., September, 1904, to May, 1905. Member of St. Louis, American and Missouri State Bar Associations, Law Library Association, American Historical Association, Legion of Honor. Presbyterian. Club: City. Office: City Hall. Residence: 3945 Lindell Boulevard.
BAKER, Alfred Edward, treasurer P. C. Murphy Trunk Co.; born, Jefferson City, Mo., Dec. 10, 1865; son of Dr. John and Amelia (Steele) Baker; educated in public and private schools; married. St. Louis, June, 1893, Mary E., daughter of P. C. Murphy; children: Jules Alfred, Hugh Edward, John Joseph, Thomas C., Mary Catherine. After leaving school in 1883, went to Stewart Co., Tenn., where was in the office of the LaGrange Iron Works, 1884-89; went to Montana, 1889, and was connected with the Granite Mountain Milling Co. at Granite Mountain, Mont., until 1893; also conducted from 1889, a general merchandise business at Rumsey, Mont., and Anaconda, Mont., and remained connected with that business until 1900. Since 1893 a resident of St. Louis, and since October, 1893, treasurer of the P. C. Murphy Trunk Co., manufacturers of trunks, traveling bags, etc. (established I860, incorporated 1892.) Office and Factory: 13th and Papin Sts. Salesrooms: 707 Washington Ave. Residence: 938 Catalpa Street.
BAKER, Allen H., dealer in grain and mill feed; born, Calvers, Tex., Dec. 20, 1871; son of William and Amanda (Harris) Baker; educated in public schools of Texas, and College of Texas, at Tehucany, Tex.; married, Fort Smith, Ark., Oct. 5, 1896, Marie McLoud; two children: Marie E. and William Allen. President Allen Baker Commission Co., grain and mill feed, since 1900; managing director truck department Brown Automobile Co. Member St. Louis Merchants' Exchange. Republican. Catholic. Office: 1057 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 4539 Washington Boulevard.
BAKER, Charles Andrew, real estate; born, Dayton, O., Apr. 29, 1856; son of John O. and Sophia Dorothea (Schriefer) Baker; graduate Dayton High School, in class of 1874; married, Fargo, N. Dakota, Sept. 11, 1884, Mary W. Hime; children: Herbert Oliver, Edith May, Ralph Irving. Came to St. Louis, 1878; was salesman for Graham Paper Co. for twenty years; gave up position in 1898 to push the sale of Webster Park and other suburban property in vicinity of Webster and Kirkwood; now engaged in general real estate business as the agent and one of the directors of Webster Park Realty Co.; secretary and treasurer Sherwood Forest Realty Co., West Webster Realty Co. Republican. Congregationalism Member Civic League. Clubs: Mercantile, Algonquin Golf. Office: 903 Wright Bldg. Residence: Rosemont Ave., Webster Park.
BAKER, George Arnold, Jr., president Stephens Lithographing and Engraving Co.; born, Helena, Mont., Aug. 21, 1866; son of George A. and Eleanor (Street) Baker; educated in public schools and Smith Academy, St. Louis, graduating, 1883; married, St. Louis, Nov. 2, 1892, Grace Heath. Began business career as clerk for E. C. Meacham Arms Co., St. Louis, 1883-90; since 1890 with Stephens Lithographing and Engraving Co.; in 1894, with associates, purchased the business and is now president of the company. Clubs: St. Louis, New England. Favorite recreations: horseback riding and driving. Office: 422 N. 2d St. Residence: 501 N. Clara Ave.
BAKER, George Reason, banking; born, Tippecanoe, Harrison Co., O., July 4, 1875; son of John Wesley and Rebecca (Phillips) Baker; educated in common schools; married, Lancaster, Mo., Dec. 22, 1898, Heleena Figge; one son, Lorenzo E., born Mar. 28, 1900. Became connected with the Farmers' and Merchants' Savings Bank of Lancaster, Mo., 1893, and advanced to cashier; appointed representative of National Bank of Commerce, St. Louis, 1903, and was in charge of the World's Fair department of the bank, 1904; assistant cashier since Jan. 1, 1907. Secretary Group No. 1, Missouri Bankers' Association, 1902. Member American Institute of Banking, St. Louis Credit Men's Association. Methodist. Mason. Clubs: Masonic, Midland Valley Golf. Recreation: golf. Office: National Bank of Commerce. Residence: 6911 Kingsbury Boulevard.
Bakewell, Paul, lawyer; born, St. Louis, Aug. 21, 1858; son of Robert Armytage and Nancy (de Lanreal) Bakewell; educated at St. Louis University (LL.D., October, 1904), and graduated from law school of Washington University, LL.B., 1879; married, St. Louis, Apr. 30, 1884, Eugenia Stella McNair; children: Marie, Eugenia (Mrs. Charles V. H. Roberts), Paul, Jr., Edward, Claude, Nancy, Vincent. Admitted to bar at St. Louis in May, 1879, and since continuously engaged in practice as specialist in patent, trademark and copyright law. Member of St. Louis Bar Association, Missouri State Bar Association, American Bar Association. Trustee St. Louis University. Democrat. Roman Catholic. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, Sunset Hill Country; Lawyers (New York). Recreations: shooting, fishing and horseback riding. Office: La Salle Bldg. Residence: St. Louis.
BALDWIN, Edward S., lumber; born, Memphis, Tenn.; son of James W. and Rose Ann (Nicholas) Baldwin; came with parents to St. Louis and attended school at Carondelet, later student in private school of Dr. McAnally; graduated Bryant & Stratton Commercial College; married Jessie Buchanan, of Memphis; children: Gertrude Kyle, Irene Mildred, Charles Sidney, Rose Lethenia. Began under uncle, George Baldwin, in stove, range and furnace business; became connected with the Clarkson Christopher Lumber Co. and was made manager at Elmore, Ark.; returned to St. Louis, 1890, and entered employ of the Bonsack Lumber Co., of which is superintendent. Member Christian (Disciples) Church. Republican. Mason. Member Royal Arcanum. Office: Angelica St. and Wharf.
BALDWIN, Frederick Amos, professor pathology, etc.: born, Kalamazoo, Mich., May 14, 1877; son of Charles E. and Dora J. (Warren) Baldwin; educated in public schools of Jackson, Mich. 1885-93; Medical Department, University of Michigan, M.D., 1898; Department of Literature, Science and Art, same, A.B., 1902, Sc.D., same, 1904. Served in Medical Department of University of Michigan, as assistant in histology, 1896-97, assistant in pathology, 1898-1902, instructor in pathology, 1902-04; assistant city pathologist and bacteriologist, St. Louis, 1904-07; professor pathology and therapeutics, Medical Department, Baylor University, Dallas, Tex., 1907-10; professor pathology, bacteriology and medicine, American Medical College, St.Louis, since 1910, also secretary same; secretary National University of Arts and Sciences. Member St. Louis. Missouri State and Southern Illinois Medical societies, Nu Sigma Nu, Sigma Xi college fraternities. Recreations: baseball, football and tennis. Office: 4500 Olive St. Residence: 3509 Morgan St.
BALDWIN, Richard Brackett, manager A. C. Lawrence Leather Co.; born, Boston, Mass., Feb. 18, 1873; son of W. H. and Mary Frances Augusta (Chaffee) Baldwin; educated in Boston public schools and Boston Latin School; married, Chicago, July 14, 1900, Belle Roberts. Began active career in leather business with Arey, Maddock & Locke, continuing from 1890 to 1898; since with the A. C. Lawrence Leather Co., first as manager at Chicago until October, 1903, and since then as manager of the St. Louis office. Republican. Recreations: hunting, fishing and farming. Office: 705-707 Lucas Ave. Residence: Kirkwood, Mo.
BALL, Frank O., safe deposit officer Mississippi Valley Trust Co.; born, Staplehurst, Neb., Apr. 3, 1886; son of Rev. Albert Dilworth, D.D., and Mary A. (Maeder) Ball; graduated at De Soto (Mo.) High School, 1903; unmarried. Began active career with Jefferson County Bank, De Soto, continuing May, 1903 to June, 1906; has been connected with the Mississippi Valley Trust Co. at St. Louis since June, 1906, and safe deposit officer same, since Apr. 12, 1911. President St Louis Chapter American Institute of Banking. Republican. Methodist. Mason; member Lambskin Lodge No. 460, A. F. & A. M.; St. Louis Chapter No. 8, R. A. M.; St. Aldemar Commandery No. 18, Knights Templar; Moolah Temple, A. A. 0. N. M. S. Club: Amateur Athletic Recreations: baseball and tennis. Office: Mississippi Valley Trust Co., 4th and Pine Sts. Residence: 2244 Red Bud Ave.
BALL, James Moores, physician, oculist; born. West Union, Iowa, Sept. 4, 1862; son of Dr. James Moores and Martha (Glover) Ball; educated in public schools of Waterloo, Iowa; Iowa State university, Iowa City, M.D., 1884; post-graduate instruction in New York and in Europe; married, York, Pa., Oct. 14, 1890, Naomi Marshall; children: Logan Marshall, Mary Josephine. Engaged in practice of medicine since 1886; practice confined to ophthalmology since 1890; professor diseases of the eye, American Medical College; oculist American Hospital and Christian Centenary Hospital; member numerous medical societies. Author of Ball's Modern Ophthalmology. Episcopalian. Office: 4500 Olive St. Residence: 4374 Washington Ave.
BALL, Otho Fisher, editor Interstate Medical Journal; born, Waterloo, Iowa, June 20, 1875; son of Dr. James Moores (Sr.) and Martha B. (Glover) Ball; educated in public schools of Iowa; took special science course in University of Wisconsin, and graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, St. Louis, M.D., 1897; married, St. Louis, Feb. 19, 1901, Leonora Montgomerie Clague. Engaged in practice of medicine until 1902; assistant editor, 1897-1903, since 1903 managing editor of the Interstate Medical Journal, also secretary and general manager Interstate Medical Journal Co., its publishers (incorporated 1901). Member various medical societies and social and local literary clubs. Club: University. Office: Metropolitan Bldg.
BALLARD, James Franklin, manufacturer proprietary medicines; born, Ashtabula, O., July 16,1851; son of James and Elisa (Heath) Ballard; educated in public schools, Almont, Mich.; married, Vincennnes, Ind., June 24, 1878, Emma Hill Hadley; children: William J., Berenice C. (Mrs. H. H. Clark, Jr.), Nellie E. Came to St. Louis, 1874; was connected with Richardson & Co., wholesale drugs, until 1882, when established the Ballard Snow Liniment Co., of which is proprietor. Director Mechanics American National Bank, of St. Louis, United States & Mexican Trust Co., of New York. Member Business Men's League (St. Louis). Clubs: St. Louis, Mercantile, Noonday (St. Louis), Salmagundi, Drug and Chemical (New York). Office: 500-502 Washington Boulevard. Residence: 4420 Washington Boulevard.
BALLARD, John O., grain commission; born, Logan Co., O., Dec. 31, 1872; son of Theodore R. and Elizabeth (Depew) Ballard; educated in public grammar and high schools and course in business college; married, St. Louis, Dec. 24, 1895, Lydia W. Harting; one daughter: Elizabeth. Identified with the grain business in St. Louis since 1893; started with Ballard Messmore & Co., and is vice president and treasurer of the company; also secretary and treasurer St. Louis Grain Clearing Co. Member St. Louis Merchants' Exchange. Democrat. Methodist. Mason (32°), Knight Templar. Clubs: St Louis, Bellerive Country, Glen Echo Country. Recreation: golf. Office: 520 Merchants' Exchange. Residence: 5171 Waterman Ave.
Balmer, Charles, professor of music, composer and artist, was born in Muehlhausen, Province of Thueringen, Germany, September 21, 1817, and died in St. Louis, December 15, 1892. He was the eldest son of Gottfried and Eva (Heyse) Balmer, and his father was a gentleman of means and culture, whose homestead was in the suburbs of Muehlhausen. When the son was six years of age he showed such remarkable talent for music that his father concluded to begin his systematic education by sending him to the conservatory at Goettingen. The director of the conservatory at first refused to take so young a pupil, but after witnessing his accomplishments consented to take him into his own family and give him the benefit of special instruction. Under this tutorage he learned to play on the piano, organ, clarinet and violin—the last named being his favorite instrument—making such rapid progress that at nine years of age he received a prize medal from Louis Spohr for playing one of that great maestro's compositions in concert. At ten years of age he began playing first violin in the orchestra at the conservatory, and two years later an episode occurred in this connection, which he remembered to the end of his life. He was playing in the orchestra when Kullack, the noted composer and pianist, came to Goettingen to give a concert. The orchestra was engaged to accompany him in the production of one of his own compositions, and the preliminary rehearsal passed off satisfactorily. At the public performance, however, the pianist had the misfortune to lose his place, and a clash between the piano and the orchestra was imminent, when the young Balmer, who was at the head of the violins, but who was a good pianist as well, shot a quick glance at the piano music, and, pointing with his bow to the place, prevented the threatened fiasco, no one but the leader of the orchestra noticing the act.
BALSON, William Lewis, president Balson Realty & Building Co.; born, Bridgeport, Dorsetshire, Eng., Oct 8, 1842; son of Lewis and Susan (Wheadon) Balson; educated in national schools of England until eleven years of age; came to America with parents in 1853, and attended public schools of St. Louis, and night schools; married, St. Louis, Dec. 23, 1866, Ella Schofield, whose father, William Schofield, came from Manchester, Eng., 1845; nine children: William S. (who died 1903), Ella E., Susan C., Edith M., Mary J., Ethel C., Lewis E., Eva and Olive A. Was in employ of U. S. Government about two years at Fort Leavenworth and Jefferson Barracks; learned carpenter's trade; entered building business in spring of 1866, in which has since continued, adding real estate business about 1880; incorporated under title of Balson Realty & Building Co., of which is president Democrat. Mason. Recreations: reading and home life. Office: 5899 Delmar Ave. Residence: Webster Groves, Mo.
BAMBER, Samuel Edward, secretary Hess & Culbertson Jewelry Co.; born, Batavia, O., Oct. 17, 1876; son of Henry and Justine (Favre) Bamber; educated in public schools of Cincinnati, O.; married, St. Louis, June 10, 1901, Louise Jenkins; children: Ruth Marie, Louise Justine. Came to St. Louis in 1893, and was with the Merrick, Walsh & Phelps Jewelry Co. as salesman until 1897; then was salesman with the Hess & Culbertson Jewelry Co. until 1902, when became secretary of the company. Republican. Was a member of Company G, 1st Missouri Volunteers, during the Spanish-American War, and served one year in Cuba. Baptist. Mason (32°), Knight Templar, Shriner; member Knights of the Maccabees of the World, Woodmen of the World. Club: Missouri Athletic. Favorite recreation: baseball. Office: 501 N. 7th St. Residence: Kenwood Springs, St. Louis Co.
BANISTER, Fred Arthur, real estate; born. St. Louis Co., Missouri, Nov. 28, 1861; son of John B. and Miriam (Voisey) Banister; educated in Webster School, St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Nov. 28, 1888, Nonie E. Morton; children: Marian, Edward W. Began business career as secretary to Gaius Paddock, president of the Paddock Hawley Iron Co., continuing for ten years; was for two years with E. S. Guignon & Bro., real estate; since then real estate and financial agent on own account. Member Business Men's League, St. Louis Real Estate Exchange. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason (32), Knight Templar, Shriner; secretary Masonic Temple Association. Member Legion of Honor. Clubs: Mercantile, Glen Echo, Oasis Fishing and Hunting. Favorite recreation: automobiling. Office: 1422- 1424 Syndicate Trust Bldg., 915 Olive St. Residence: 4542 W. Pine Boulevard.
BARCK, Carl, physician; born, Karlsruhe, Germany, July 29, 1859; son of Herrman and Ems (Riester) Barck; educated in public school till 9th year, gymnasium and lyceum until 18th year, and in Universities of Freiburg and Berlin till 22; M. D., University of Freiburg, 1880; married, St. Louis, June 26, 1891, Maud Schroeder; children: Amy, Edna. Engaged in practice of medicine since 1882; practice confined to diseases of the eye and ear. Professor of ophthalmology, St. Louis University; member of various medical societies, America and abroad, St. Louis Academy of Science. Member Ethical Society, etc. Recreations: chess, mountaineering. Office: 202-207 Humboldt Bldg. Residence: 3301 Shenandoah Ave.
BARCLAY, George Reppert, vice president Simmons Hardware Co.; born, Sacramento, Cal., Dec. 27, 1854; son of George R. and Julia Johnson Barclay; educated in public schools of Allegheny City, Pa., and Marietta, O.; married, St. Louis, Oct. 19, 1881, Lillie I. Swain; children: George F., Julia (Mrs. John D'Arcy), Thomas S. Began business career as clerk in the local freight office of the North Missouri R. R. Co., Oct. 1, 1870, remained with that company in various positions until March, 1875, when resigned to enter employ of Simmons Hardware Co., with which company continued, successively, as entry clerk, chief clerk of correspondence department, and manager of credit department; elected director, Jan. 1, 1898, office of assistant treasurer; and in 1904 elected to present position as vice president of the company. Was member of Company Q, 1st Regiment, National Guard of Missouri. Episcopalian. Clubs: Mercantile, Algonquin Golf, Triple A, Officers of 1st Regiment, N. G. M. Recreation: traveling. Office: 9th and Spruce Sts. Residence: 4305 Morgan St.
John Barclay, the first American ancestor, came to this country in 1684, and settled first at Plain field, East Jersey. He was one of the "original proprietors" of East Jersey, and was at different times commissioned as surveyor general and receiver general. Later he removed to Perth Amboy, New Jersey, and was the founder and first senior warden of St. Peter's Episcopal Church in that town. His grandson, Rev. David Barclay, became a missionary of the Presbyterian Church, and was for fifty years an active clergyman. He was the paternal great-grandfather, after whom the subject of this sketch was named; and Robert also was a family name.
BARCLAY, Robert, physician, specialist; born, St. Louis, May 8, 1857; son of David Robert Barclay (lawyer, journalist, author of Barclay's Digest, and proprietor and editor of the St. Louis Dispatch) and Mary Melinda (Shepard) Barclay, daughter of Capt. Elihu H. Shepard (soldier in four American wars, lawyer and teacher); of British and Norman ancestry on paternal side, and of Revolutionary ancestry on maternal side; attended schools of St. Louis, Mo., and Alexandria, Va.; A.B., Trinity College, Hartford, Conn., 1880, A.M., 1883; M.D., College of Physicians and Surgeons (Medical Department, Columbia University), 1883; married, Hartford, Conn., October, 1886, Minnie Genie, daughter of Thomas and Agnes (Gibson) Hamilton (both of distinguished Scottish ancestry); they have three sons: Robert Hamilton (with electrical department, Kansas City Terminal R. R. Co.), Shepard Gibson (member editorial staff, New York Sun) and McClelland (commercial artist and special marine painter, New York and Washington, D. C). Mrs. Barclay died Dec. 22, 1908. She was especially gifted as a musician and composer, and served as musical director of the St. Louis Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. Dr. Barclay has engaged in practice in St. Louis since October, 1885, as specialist in diseases of the ear, nose and throat; has served as chief, in his department, in St. Louis City Hospital, Missouri Pacific Railway Hospital, St. Louis Baptist Hospital, Missouri Baptist Sanitarium, St. Mary's Infirmary, South Side Dispensary, Maria Consilia Deaf and Dumb Institute, St. Philomena's Industrial School, House of the Good Shepherd, etc. Among improvements devised by him in surgical instruments, may be named a special pattern of shaft-and-handle for any instrument for operating in the depth of long narrow cavities; also an improved and shortened aural operating-speculum. Vice president St. Louis Medical Society, 1906. Contributor to medical periodicals, encyclopedias, society proceedings, etc. Chief articles: "Medical Treatment of Acute Diseases of the Middle Ear,'' Hare's System of Practical Therapeutics, 1892; '' Closure of the Ear by Growths of Bone,'' in the St. Louis Medical Review of 1894; "Can You Cure Deafness Caused by Catarrh" ("A Reply"), in The Laryngoscope of 1897; "A Practical Suggestion Respecting the Removal of Foreign Bodies from the Larynx; illustrated by a Case of Cockleburr upon the Vocal Cords," in The Medical Fortnightlv of 1905; "A Method of Radical Relief of Cases of Deafness Long Abandoned as Hopeless," Journal of Missouri State Medical Association, 1907; "Relief of Chronic Deafness by Tympanic Resection," in The Railway Surgeon, 1907; "Some Practical Problems in Ear, Nose and Throat Practice," Journal of Missouri State Medical Association, 1912; etc. Main Office and Address: 3894 Washington Boul. Supplementary Office: 3100 S. Grand Ave., corner Arsenal St.
BARCLAY, Shepard, lawyer; born, St. Louis, Nov. 3, 1847; son of Capt. Elihu H. Shepard, of pioneer American settlers; educated St. Louis public and high schools; A.B., St. Louis University, 1867; LL.B., University of Virginia, 1869; Paris, and University of Berlin, 1870-72; (LL.D., University of Missouri, 1897, St. Louis University, 1904); married, St. Louis, June 11, 1873, Katie Anderson. Practiced law, St. Louis, 1872-82; elected circuit judge, St. Louis, 1882; elected Justice Supreme Court, Missouri, 1888; chosen chief justice, 1897; resigned, 1898, and resumed practice; appointed judge St. Louis Court of Appeals, 1901; returned to practice, 1903; now member firm of Barclay, Fauntleroy & Cullen. Member Business Men's League. President University of Virginia Alumni, Beta Theta Alumni. Life member Missouri Historical Society. Clubs: University, Noonday, Bellerive, Schiller Verein. Mercantile, Alma Mater. Office: 214 N. 6th St. Residence: 3844 Delmar Boulevard.
Barclay, Shepard, lawyer and judge, was born November 3, 1847, in St. Louis. Captain Elihu H. Shepard, his grandfather was a pioneer American settler, who came to that city in 1823 from Ney York State. Judge Barclay’s education began in the public schools of St. Louis. From the High School he went to the St. Louis University, and was graduated there in the classical course in 1867. He then commenced the study of law at the University of Virginia under the tutelage of Professor John B. Minor, the noted author of the “Institutes,” and in 1869 he attained his degree of law there, and was also graduated in the School of Medical Juris-prudence. Judge Barclay, during his university career, was elected final president of the Jefferson Society by a unanimous vote. In 1869 he started to Europe, where he remained until 1872, attending two terms in the University of Berlin, in the study of the civil law, under the guidance of Drs. Gueist and Bruns. He spent also a considerable time in Paris in 1870, and saw the close of the empire of the third Napoleon. During his stay abroad he witnessed some of the great events of the last Franco-Prussian War, and wrote accounts of them, which appeared in one of the St. Louis journals. On returning home in 1872 he commenced the practice of law, and during the early days of his law practice wrote for the press in St. Louis as editorial contributor. In 1873 he was married to Miss Anderson, daughter of Honorable Charles R. Anderson, a well know citizen of St. Louis. In the same year Honorable William C. Marshall and he formed a law partnership, which continued until 1882, when Judge Barclay was elected circuit judge in St. Louis by a majority of 5,040. His associates on the circuit bench at that time were Judges Amos M. Thayer, Elmer B. Adams, George W. Jubke and William H. Horner.
BARDENHEIER, Charles William, wine and liquor merchant; born, St. Louis, Nov. 4, 1869; son of John and Elizabeth (Schaub) Bardenheier; educated in St. Louis public school, Christian Brothers College, and Bryant & Stratton Business College; married, Centralia, ILL., June, 1896, Flora Kohl; one daughter, Fernanda. After leaving school, in 1881, entered employ of his father, in the wholesale wine and liquor business; learned wine making in Europe, 1888-89; vice president John Bardenheier Wine and Liquor Co., 1895-1905, since president. Catholic. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office: 210-214 Market St. Residence: 5159 Fairmount Ave.
BARDENHEIER, John Henry, wholesale wines and liquors; born, St. Louis, Aug. 15, 1873; son of John and Elizabeth (Schaub) Bardenheier; educated in St. Louis public schools, Christian Brothers College, and Bryant & Stratton Business College; married, Nov. 28, 1906, Louise Lagomardino. In 1889 entered the wine and liquor house of John Bardenheier, thoroughly learning the business, and was sent by father to California, where, among the Italian-Swiss colony in the wine sections of that state, studied the processes of making, and especially of keeping, native wines; on return reentered the house and in 1895 when business was incorporated as the John Bardenheier Wine and Liquor Co., became secretary of the company, continuing until death of father, June, 1905, when, with three brothers, succeeded to the business, becoming vice president of the company. Catholic. Member of the Eagles, Knights of Pvthias, Travelers Protective Association. Office: 210-214 Market St. Residence: 6059 Kingsbury Boulevard.
BARDENHEIER, Joseph Anthony, wholesale wine and liquors; born, St. Louis, Dec. 21, 1880; son of John and Elizabeth (Schaub) Bardenheier; educated in St. Louis public schools, Christian Brothers College and Bryant & Stratton Business College; unmarried. Entered wholesale wine and liquor house of father (who established it in 1873) in 1894, and in 1895, when business was incorporated as the John Bardenheier Wine and Liquor Co., became assistant secretary of the company, so continuing until death of father in June, 1905, when succeeded, with three brothers, to the business and became secretary of the company. Office: 210-214 Market St. Residence: 5102 Maple Ave.
BARKER, Harry Clark, lawyer; born, Hartford, Kan., July 18, 1880; son of Rev. Joel Arlington and Alice R. (Smith) Barker; descended from English ancestry, landing in America about 1752; educated Fairbury (Neb.) High School, graduating, 1898; student University of Nebraska, 1898-1900; continued studies in McKendree College, Lebanon, ILL., but left that institution in senior year to enter business; read law in office of C. C. Collins, St. Louis; entered Law Department, Washington University, and graduated degree of LL.B., 1904; married, Webster Groves, Mo., May 29, 1906, Grace Lawrence Ferguson; one child: Harry C, Jr.(deceased.) In practice in St. Louis since 1904; member firm of Carter, Collins, Jones & Barker since 1905. Member St. Louis Bar Association, St. Louis Law Library Association, Beta Theta Pi college fraternity. Club: City. Office: 1016, 506 Olive St. Residence: Webster Groves, Mo.
BARKER, William Shirmer, physician; born, St. Louis, Oct. 18, 1863; son of Dr. William S. and Virginia (Shirmer) Barker; educated in St. Louis public schools; Ph.B., Washington University, 1887; M.D., Missouri Medical College, 1890; studied in Post-Graduate and Polyclinic schools in New York; married, St. Louis, Nov. 3, 1891, Mary E. Sprague; children: Sprague, Paul Shirmer, Ruth Lincoln, Elizabeth, Philip Charles, Virginia, Theodore. Engaged in general practice of medicine in St. Louis since 1890, with special work in diseases of children; member staffs Bethesda and Foundling hospitals. Member City Hospital Medical, St. Louis Pediatric and St. Louis Medical societies. Presbyterian. Office: 3502 N. Grand Ave. Residence: 3855 Delmar Boulevard.
BARKLAGE, Louis, stock and bond broker; born, St. Louis, Feb. 11, 1863; son of Frederick and Margaret (Henger) Barklage; educated in public schools and Polytechnic HighSchool, St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Apr. 26, 1893, Eugenia Ludwig. Began active career as clerk in Continental Bank, 1879; entered office of Wernse & Dieckman, stock and bond brokers, 1881, and has ever since been associated with that firm. Member St. Louis Stock Exchange (president, 1910, and now director). Mason; member Tuscan Lodge No. 360, A. F. & A. M. Club: Union (charter member). Recreations: fishing and traveling. Office: 317 N. 4th St. Residence: 6185 Kingsbury Boulevard.
BARLOW, Stephen Douglas, secretary of the Collier estate; born, St. Louis, June 13, 1845; son of Stephen D. and Lucy A. (Dickson) Barlow; educated in public schools and Washington University; married, Rolla, Mo., Sept. 29, 1883, Missouri Williams; one daughter: Margaret D. After leaving school, entered firm of W. H. Markham, wholesale iron dealers, continuing for six years; first assistant comptroller of St. Louis during the administration of Nathan Cole, Mayor; then became secretary and treasurer of the Kellogg Bridge Co., of Buffalo, N. Y.; afterwards first assistant comptroller during Mayor Henry Overstolz's administration until ill health necessitated a change of climate; for ten years thereafter was accountant with different iron manufacturing companies, for three years secretary and treasurer of the St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co., then for a time with the Mercantile Trust Co.; became secretary of the Collier Estate, 1900. Republican. Favorite recreations: literature and music. Office: 711, 105 N. 7th St. Residence: 5502A Maple Ave.
Barlow, Stephen Douglas, distinguished as railway official and public man, was born in Middlebury, Vermont, February 4, 1816, and died in St. Louis August 8. 1895. His father was Jonathan K. Barlow, member of a New England family, which has had numerous eminent representatives. His mother was Miss Honor Douglas before her marriage, and was an aunt of the late distinguished Illinois Senator and statesman, Stephen A. Douglas. Reared mainly in New York State, Stephen D. Barlow obtained his early education in the common schools of Genesee County, and completed his education at the Wesleyan Seminary, near Rochester, New York. He read law in the office of a prominent attorney of Batavia, New York, and was admitted to the bar in 1839. The same year he came to St. Louis, arriving on November 12th. Shortly afterward he was appointed assistant to General John Ruland, clerk of the Circuit Court of St. Louis County, and in 1842, after the creation of the Court of Common Pleas, he was made chief deputy to James W. Walsh, clerk of that court. Two years later the county court appointed him county clerk and recorder of deeds to fill out the unexpired term of a deceased official. In 1847, he was elected to this office by the people, and in 1848 entered upon a six years’ term, which expired in 1854. While serving the people with conspicuous ability as a county official, he had also been active in promoting railway and other enterprises of importance to the city, and when, in 1853, the St. Louis & Iron Mountain Railroad Company was permanently organized, he was made its secretary and treasurer. Upon the expiration his term as clerk and recorder he turned his entire attention to railroad affairs, and by successive re-elections continued in the position of secretary and treasurer of the railroad company until 1859, when he became president. For seven years thereafter he remained at the head of this corporation, and was known as one of the ablest of the old-time Western railway managers.
BARNARD, George D., manufacturing stationer; born, New Bedford, Mass., Oct. 6, 1846; son of Henry L. and Elizabeth Robinson (Curtis) Barnard; educated in public school and half through high school, at New Bedford, Mass., leaving school because of death of father; married, Alton, ILL., 1874, Mary L. Tindall. Began in stationery business as employee in 1860; came to St. Louis, September, 1868, and was clerk in manufacturing stationery house until 1872, when with two others started in manufacturing stationery business; partners died in 1876 and 1877; business later incorporated as George D. Barnard & Co., of which is president, and since 1895 has occupied the entire large factory building (345x212 feet) where is now located. Also vice president Art Metal Construction Co. Member Merchants' Exchange (ex-vice president). Vice chairman Committee on Fall Festivities; one of original World's Fair Committee of 200; chairman of many committees to raise money for public purposes. Mugwump, with Democratic tendencies. Episcopalian (Church of the Ascension). Clubs: Mercantile, St. Louis, University, Noonday, Round Table, St. Louis Country, Glen Echo. Recreations: motoring and traveling. Office: Vandeventer and Laclede Aves. Residence: 45 Portland Place. Summer Residence: Lake Geneva, Wis.
BARNES, Algernon Sidney, retired physician; born, Mont Albion, Miss., Mar. 8, 1831; son of John (M.D.) and Caroline (Clark) Barnes; came to St. Louis, 1841; educated in private schools of St. Louis, and graduated from medical department, University of Missouri, 1855; married, St. Louis, Apr. 26, 1859, Susan C. Bailey; children: Algernon Sidney, Jr., M.D., Percival Clinton, M.D., and Ida M. Crossed the plains with ox-team, 1850, walking from St. Joseph, Mo., to Salt Lake, and from Salt Lake to the gold mines of California, where joined a company of Texas rangers and dug gold for over two years; returned to Missouri, studied medicine, and engaged in practice at St. Louis, from 1855; now retired. Entered Government service, at beginning of Civil War, as surgeon, and served until close of war. Member American Medical Association, Mississippi Valley Medical Association, Missouri State Medical Association, St. Louis Medical Society; member Military Surgeons of National Guards of United States. Republican. Methodist. Mason; member Legion of Honor. Residence: 6312 Washington Ave.
BARNES, Algernon Sidney, Jr., physician; born, St. Louis. May 18, 1871; son or Algernon S. (M.D.) and Susan C. (Sheekley-Bailey) Barnes; educated in Smith Academy, Perkins and Herpel Business College, St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons, M.D., 1892; special course University of Pennsylvania, 1892; married, St. Louis, June 7, 1893, Florence I. Bethune; one son: John Algernon, born July 15, 1908. Practiced general medicine, 1892-97; in 1897 took up specialty of ear, nose, throat and chest diseases, as office assistant with late Dr. J. C. Mulhall; since then has practiced alone as specialist in ear, nose, throat and lungs. Professor microscopy, St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1893-95; assistant to professor nose and throat, Beaumont Hospital Medical College, 1895-97. Member St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri State Medical Association, American Medical Association, Obstetrical Society, Philadelphia, Pathological Society, Philadelphia; chairman Scout Masters Association, Boy Scouts of America, in St. Louis; chairman Tiny Tim fund; vice president Men's Club of Maple Avenue Methodist Church; delegate to Central Council of Social Agencies. Member American National Red Cross, St Louis Society of Social Hygiene, Social Service Conference, Washington University Association, Civic League. Republican. Clubs: City, St. Louis, Railway. Recreations: gymnastics and boy's work. Office: 210, 705 Olive St. Residence: 5589 Vernon Ave.
Barnes, Baron S., who was for many years conspicuous in St. Louis as a member of that body of traders known as the Chamber of Commerce, was born September 21, 1844, in the city of Utica, New York, son of Amos and Julia (Bush) Barnes. He was educated in the schools of Utica and trained to commercial pursuits. Coming West in his young manhood, he became a resident of St. Louis in 1876, and at once became actively interested in the grain trade in that city. Admitted to membership in the Chamber of Commerce he embarked in business as a grain, broker, and for more than twenty years was continuously engaged in that branch of trade. In his operations as a member of the Chamber of Commerce, he evinced rare judgment and evidenced that keen sagacity which results from a careful study of markets and trade conditions, a broad survey of the sources of supply and accurate estimates of the demand for the cereal products of our country. While he was a fearless operator in the sense of backing his judgment by his investments, he was, at the same time, careful in reaching conclusions, and as a result of this conservatism and his long experience, he was seldom found on the wrong side of the market. Successful in the accumulation of a fortune and known among 'his associates and acquaintances as a business man of high character and superior capacity, he was recognized also as a gentleman of cultured tastes, a lover of good literature and of the best things in art. His home on the heights west of St. Louis, on what is known as the Bonhomme Road, is one of the most beautiful of St. Louis residences, and evidences the artistic tastes of its late owner in its furnishings and embellishments. Upright in business, sincere in his friendships, hospitable in his entertainments, and genial in his intercourse with his fellow men, he was esteemed alike in business and social circles, a popular and useful citizen. He served in the Union Army in the Civil War as a member of the One Hundred and Fifth Illinois Regiment of Volunteer Infantry, and as a soldier discharged faithfully every duty and performed every obligation resting upon him. In politics, he was a Republican, and he was identified with fraternal organizations as a member of the Masonic order of the Knight Templar degree. He was married at Oskaloosa, Iowa, June 4, 1890, to Miss Eva Salisbury, and three children were born to them. The children are Edith Margaret, Baron Anderson and Annis Louise Barnes. Mr. Barnes died June 16, 1899, and the esteem in which he was held by the Merchants' Exchange, of which he had so long been a member, was evidenced by a series of resolutions adopted by that body, which gave expression to the following sentence: "His death removes from the ranks of business men of St. Louis one who will long be remembered for his high qualities of mind and heart. A courteous, generous gentleman, upright and honorable in all his dealings with his fellow men, and ever ready to respond to any worthy call for the relief of suffering humanity, or for the benefit of mankind."
BARNES, Charles Wardell, real estate; born, New York, June 5, 1845; son of George and Mary Louisa (Wardell) Barnes; educated in public school, New York, boarding schools at White Plains, N. Y., and Suffield, Conn., and private school, New York; married, St. Charles, Mo., Apr. 22, 1879, Lucie Belle Portmess; children: George, Margaret Ellen, Shepard, Charles W., Jr. Clerk in tea brokerage firm, New York, 1860-61, shipping and commission firm, 1861; went to China, via Aspinwall,Panama and San Francisco, to Shanghai (107 days); was with Olyphant & Co. at Shanghai, Kinkiang, Hankow, Hong Kong and Canton in various capacities until May, 1872; reached Shanghai when it was surrounded by the Tai-ping rebels, and joined the Shanghai Volunteers in defense of the settlement, in conjuntion with English, French and Indian troops. Returned to New York and entered U. S. Sub-Treasury, 1873; came to St. Louis, June 30, 1875; treasurer Crystal Plate Glass Co., 1875-95; since 1900 engaged in real estate and loan business. Also vice president Buxton & Skinner Stationery Co. Member Real Estate Exchange. Republican. Episcopalian. While in China visited many parts of the empire, also Japan; made acquaintance of Generals Forrester and Burgevine and of Colonel (Chinese) Gordon, commander of the "Ever Victorious Army," and of Li Hung Chang (then known as General Li). Club: Mercantile (from start). Office: 722 Chestnut St. Residence: 3754 Westminster Place.
Barnes, Robert A., merchant, banker and public benefactor, was born November 29, 1808, in Washington, D. C., and died in St. Louis, April 2, 1892. His father was Jesse Barnes, of Charles County, Maryland; and his mother, Mary Evans, of Prince George County, same State. He was of English descent, his paternal ancestor having emigrated in the year 1662 from the County of Suffolk, England, settling in Maryland near the present site of Port Tobacco. His father died when he was thirteen years of age, and he was placed under the care of an uncle, Richard Barnes, of Louisville, Kentucky, with whom he lived for several years. At that early date the advantages of literary training were meager, embracing only a common school education, which he received; but in after years by extensive reading he became well informed on all ordinary subjects, fitting him for the intercourse of cultured society. In equipment for his career the lack of early literary training was amply supplied by a strong character, a vigorous intellect, and especially by sound, common sense, which is nothing but sound judgment applied to the questions of daily life as they arise, and which was one of Mr. Barnes' most marked characteristics.
BARNES, Rollin H., physician; born, Fredericksburg, O., July 22, 1872; son of Dr. William T. and Almeda (Greer) Barnes; educated public schools of Ohio, Ohio Wesleyan University, Medical Department Wooster University and Marion-Sims Medical College, St. Louis, graduating from the latter with degree of M.D., April, 1897; unmarried. Has practiced at St. Louis since 1897; professor proctology, St Louis College Physicians and Surgeons, 1905-09; professor proctology, American Medical College, since 1910; publisher and editor of The Proctologist. Member American Proctologic Society, American Medical Association, Missouri State Medical Association, St. Louis Medical Society, Medical Association of the Southwest, Ohio Valley and Mississippi Valley Medical Associations; ex-president Alumni of Medical Department, St. Louis University. Republican. Member Ohio Society of St. Louis, B. P. O. Elks. Office: Rooms 219-223 Metropolitan Bldg. Residence: 612 N. Grand Ave.
BARNETT, George Dennis, architect; born, St. Louis, Oct. 7, 1863; son of George L and Elizabeth (Armstrong) Barnett; educated at Christian Brothers College; married, St. Louis, 1889, Nellie R. Haynes; children: George H., Theodosia. Started with father, who was one of the most prominent architects in the United States, 1880; and was with him until 1885, when took position of head draughtsman for City of St. Louis. In 1889 organized firm of Barnett & Haynes, architects, which changed, 1894, to present style of Barnett, Haynes & Barnett, firm architects of Liberal Arts Bldg., Louisiana Purchase Exposition; Hotel Jefferson, New Roman Catholic Cathedral, Star Bldg., Marquette Hotel, Hamilton Hotel, etc., St. Louis; also New Illinois Athletic Club Bldg., New Southern Hotel, Chicago; Mark Twain Hotel, Hannibal, Mo.; Colonial Hotel, Springfield, Mo.; New Joplin Hotel, Joplin, Mo., etc. Member American Institute of Architects. Democrat. Catholic. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Illinois Athletic, Cabanne. Recreations: reading and study. Office: 313 N. 9th St. Residence: 5530 Delmar Avenue.
BARNETT, Tom P., architect; born, St. Louis, Feb. 11, 1870; son of George I. and Elizabeth (Armstrong) Barnett; graduated from St. Louis University, 1886; married, St. Louis, 1890, Lillian Armentrout; children: Leontine, Tom, Doretbia, George. Engaged in practice of architecture in St. Louis since graduation, as member of firm of Barnett, Haynes & Barnett, architects for many notable structures, including the Hotel Jefferson, New Cathedral, Star Bldg., Marquette Hotel, also for churches, hospitals and residences; Liberal Arts Bldg. at the World's Fair; St. Louis Cathedral, etc Republican. Catholic. Member American Institute of Architects, St. Louis Artists' Guild. Clubs: Mercantile, Missouri Athletic, Amateur Athletic Association (St. Louis), New Illinois Athletic (Chicago). Recreations: golf and landscape painting. Office: 949 Century Bldg.
BARNHART, Gary Lee, retired; born, Independence, Mo., May 2, 1846; son of Robert and Susan (Randolph) Barnhart; educated in academy, Weston, Mo.; married, Kansas City, Mo., Dec. 28, 1876, Ann E. Woodson; children: Cara Meade, Robert, Randolph, Everard (all deceased), and Susan Randolph, Sallie Carter and Francis Lee. Vice president of the Barnhart Mercantile Co., 1875-1910. Member Kentucky Society. Democrat. Methodist. Mason (32°). Recreation: farming. Residence: 5817 Bartmer Ave.
BARNHART, William Randolph, wholesale grocer; born, Streetsville, Can., Mar. 8, 1850; son of Robert and Mary Susan (Randolph) Barnhart; moved with father to Weston, Mo., 1853; educated in public and private schools, Weston; married, St. Louis, Sept. 17, 1884, Fannie Greenwood Woodson; children: Woodson, William Randolph, Jr., Nancy Elizabeth, Robert Everard, Fannie Carter, Mary Randolph. Clerk in drug store, Leavenworth, Kan., 1868-70; salesman and commercial traveler for wholesale grocery house, 1870-75; established business for self, 1873, in grocers' specialties; president Barnhart Mercantile Co. since 1883. Also president Globe Realty Co., and director of Randolph Realty Co. Member St. Louis Merchants' Exchange, Business Men's League. Democrat. Methodist (Southern). Member Kentucky Society. Office: 200 S. Commercial Ave. Residence: Kirkwood, Missouri.
BARNS, William Eddy, editor St. Louis Lumberman; born, Vevay, Ind., Aug. 29,1853; son of R. M. and Susan S. (Smead) Barns; preparatory education at high school, Greensburg, Ind.; B.S., Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington, ILL., 1872; married, Bloomington, Nov. 1, 1875, Miss M. M. Rowe, who died Nov. 1, 1877, leaving one son, Frank Rowe; married, 2d, Indianapolis, Ind., Oct. 26, 1880, Louise Goode Gillett; one child: Helen Gillett. After graduation became city editor Daily Republican, Decatur, ILL., 1872-73; correspondent Chicago Inter Ocean, 1874; associate editor Central Christian Advocate, St. Louis, 1875-84; editor of The Age of Steel, St. Louis, 1886-1902; editor St. Louis Lumberman since 1886; also president of the Journal of Commerce Co., publishers St. Louis Lumberman. One of founders Concatenated Order of Hoo-Hoo (lumbermen's organization); secretary House of Hoo-Hoo; secretary Federal Rate Regulation Association; for years secretary St Louis Lumbermen's Exchange; member Jury of Awards (forestry) Louisiana Purchase Exposition. Member American Economic Association, Missouri Historical Society. Secretary Forestry Commission for State of Missouri. Republican. Clubs: Mercantile, St. Louis Railway. Author: The Labor Problem, 1888; Nobody Knows, 1889. Favorite recreations: aquatic sports and literature. Office: 1103 Wright Bldg. Residence: 4919 McPherson Ave.
BARON, Jules, physician and coroner; born, St Louis, Aug. 11, 1859; son of Jules C. and Euphrasia (Dubief) Baron; educated in public schools of St. Louis, Washington University and St. Louis Medical College, M.D., 1881; special courses in universities of Berlin, Paris and Vienna, 1881-84; married Frieda Rahner; married, 2nd, St Louis, May, 1903, Josephine Hecker; one son: Jules, Jr. Engaged in general practice of medicine in St. Louis since 1884; coroner City of St. Louis since November, 1904. President Banner Clay Works. Member St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri State Medical Association. Republican. Mason (32°), Shriner; member Knights of Pythias. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Offices: 3357 California Ave. and City Hall. Residence: 3357 California Ave.
BARRETT, Jesse W., lawyer; born, Canton, Mo., Mar. 17,1884; son of Harry H. and Jeannette A. (Bushman) Barrett; educated in common and high schools, Canton; B. Litt, Christian University, Canton, 1901, A.B., 1902; LL.B., Law Department Washington University, 1905; married, June 19, 1912, Miss Ethelyn Louthan, of Canton, Mo. Admitted to Missouri bar, 1905, and has since practiced in St. Louis; was with firm of Harlan, Jeffries & Wagner, 1905-08; associated in practice with Milton M. Dearing (then assistant U. S. attorney in charge of naturalization), 1908, but partnership was dissolved, 1909, when Mr. Dearing removed to California; has since practiced alone, confining attention to civil causes; served 1908-09 as special assistant U. S. attorney in conduct of revenue prosecutions. Member St. Louis Bar Association, Thayer Law Club. Active worker in progressive civic movements and has done considerable work in social service. Republican; vice president Young Men's Republican Association of Missouri. Member St. John's Methodist Church, South (member board of stewards; ex-president Men's Club). Vice president Arlington Chapter of Protected Home Circle; member Phi Sigma Kappa college fraternity. Clubs: City, Lewis County (vice president and ex-president). Office: 906 Third National Bank Bldg. Residence: 5205 Vernon Avenue.
BARROLL, Joseph Rollinson, merchant; born, Brooklyn, N. Y., Mar. 22, 1867; son of Henry Ballard and Adelia (Rollinson) Barroll; educated in public grammar school, Chicago; married, Chicago, Dec. 10, 1890, Katharyn E. Thorns, of Baltimore, Md.; two children: Joseph Rollinson, Jr., Eugenia Vassar. Entered employ of Wilson Bros., Chicago, as stock clerk, 1883, and was promoted to department manager and foreign buyer at age of 20, making first trip to Europe before 21 years of age; came to St. Louis, 1898, as house manager to assist in organizing the business of Butler Bros., wholesale general merchandise, then being established in this city. Director Merchants-Laclede National Bank, American Automobile Insurance Co. Democrat. Episcopalian; vestryman St. Peter's P. E. Church. Vice president Business Men's League; member board directors St. Louis Symphony Society: member Civic League, Society for Relief of Tuberculosis, Hospital Saturday and Sunday Association, St. Louis Academy Sciences, National Geographic Society. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, City, Aero, Automobile (director), Bellerive Country (director), Round Table, Contemporary. Favorite recreations: golf and fishing. Office: Butler Bros., 18th and Olive Sts. Residence: 4603 Berlin Ave.
BARRON, Sterling Price, vice president and general manager American Asphalt Association; born, St. Louis, July 14, 1865; son of James C. and Jane (O'Brien) Barron; educated at Elleardville and Cote Brilliant schools, St. Louis, and at Sedalia Seminary, Sedalia, Mo.; married, East St. Louis, ILL., Nov. 10, 1886, Margaret Ralls Foster; children: Osmond Martin, Helen Dorothy. Began business career as stenographer for the Famous Shoe and Clothing Co., and after that was stenographer and correspondent, successively, for George P. Plant Milling Co. and E. G. Scudder & Bro.; then secretary of the Gilson Asphaltum Co. until 1902; since vice president and general manager of the American Asphalt Association, miners of Gilsonite and Bitumenite. Democrat. Catholic. Member Royal League, United Commercial Travelers. Office: Wainwright Bldg. Residence: 6321 Berlin Ave.
BARROWS, John Chester, insurance; born, New York, July 23, 1858; son of Rev. N. (D.D.) and Isabel (Gibson) Barrows; prepared for college at military school; entered Trinity College, Hartford, Conn., 1876, graduating A.B., 1880, A.M., 1884; married, New York, 1887, Emma Louise Adams. Since 1886 in general insurance business; general agent for the Accident and Liability department of the Aetna Life Insurance Co. of Hartford, and general agent of the Title Guaranty and Surety Co. of Pennsylvania. Episcopalian. Member Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity. Clubs: Mercantile, Glen Echo, Sunset Hill Country. Recreation: golf. Office: Pierce Bldg. Residence: 5735 Von Versen Ave.
BARRY, James, heating and ventilating engineer; born, Newhall, Mo., Feb. 26, 1869; son of William and Elizabeth (Mulholland) Barry; educated in public schools of Newhall, Mo.; married, Belleville, ILL., Feb. 26, 1895, Louisa Courar; children: James, Veronica, Anna May. Began business career with M. E. Herbert, heating contractor, St. Joseph, Mo., for six months; then was for two and a half years as steam fitter with Haxton Steam Heater Co., Kewanee, ILL., and afterward for twelve years superintendent with Karr Supply Co., heating contractors, Belleville, ILL., and represented same firm as superintendent in St. Louis, 1900-03; in April, 1903, with Fred Elliott, established the Elliott & Barry Engineering Co., heating engineers and contractors. Democrat. Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus. Office: 705 Olive St. Residence: 5729 Chamberlain Ave.
Barrows, John C., who for a score of years has been one of the leading representatives of insurance interests in St. Louis, was born July 23, 1858, in the city of Rome, New York. His parents were Rev. Dr. N. Barrows and Isabella (Gibson) Barrows, and his ancestors landed at Salem, settled by John Endicott, in 1628, and next to Plymouth, the oldest town in Massachusetts. He was reared in New York State and educated at Trinity College of Hartford, Connecticut, from which institution he was graduated in the class of 1880. Immediately after his graduation from college he went to Philadelphia, Penn., and taught school there until 1884. In 1885 he embarked in the insurance business in New York City, and from there came to St. Louis in 1888. Since then, he has been A leader in that city in building up and popularizing that branch of insurance known as accident insurance, and he is now head of the firm of Barrows & Karst, managers of the accident department of the Aetna Life Insurance Company, of Hartford, Connecticut. His business career has been in all respects a successful one, and while building up a comfortable fortune he has also gained high standing in the business circles of St. Louis. Politically he is identified with the Democratic Party, and he is a member of St. Peter's Protestant Episcopal Church of St. Louis. February 17, 1887, Mr. Barrows married Miss Louise Adams, of Huntington, Long Island, New York.
BARTH, J. David, president J. D. Barth Coal Co.; born in St. Clair Co., ILL., Nov. 30, 1867; son of John and Catherine (Koob/ Barth); educated in country school and at Central Wesleyan College, Warrenton, Mo.; married, Marshall, Tex., May 27, 1899, Lorena Cole; one daughter: Margaret Cole. Early life spent in railway service; secretary and manager Consumers' Electric Light & Power Co., and De Soto Telephone Exchange, De Soto, Mo., 1891-96; secretary and treasurer Willis Coal & Mining Co., 1896-98; sales agent Sorento Coal & Mining Co., 1898-1901; in 1901, purchased the Sylvester Coal Co.; in 1908 organized J. D. Barth Coal Co., of which has since been president. Also secretary and director Consumers Electric Light & Power Co., De Soto, Mo., and director De Soto Telephone Exchange. Democrat. Episcopalian. Mason (32°), Knight Templar, Shriner. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Glen Echo Country. Recreations: golf, automobiling. Office: Victoria Bldg. Residence: 4222 Maryland Ave.
BARTHOLDT, Richard, congressman; born in Germany, Nov. 2, 1855; son of Gottlob and Caroline Louise (Wagner) Bartholdt; came to the United States in boyhood; classical education; learned printing trade; married Caecilie Niedner, of St. Louis, June 27, 1880. Editor-in-chief St. Louis Tribune, 1885-92. Member St. Louis School Board, 1888-92 (president, 1891-92); member Fifty-third to Sixty-second Congresses (1893-1913), Tenth Missouri District; Republican. President Inter-Parliamentary Union for Promotion of International Arbitration. Residence: 4066 Flora Boulevard.
BARTHOLDT, Richard, a Representative from Missouri; born in Schleiz, Germany, November 2, 1855; attended the public schools and Schleiz College (Gymnasium); immigrated to the United States in April 1872 and settled in Brooklyn, N.Y.; learned the printing trade and became a newspaper writer and publisher; moved to Missouri and settled in St. Louis in 1877; was connected with several papers as reporter, legislative correspondent, and editor, and at the time of his election to Congress was editor in chief of the St. Louis Tribune; member of the St. Louis Board of Education from 1888 to 1892, serving as president from 1890 to 1892; elected as a Republican to the Fifty-third and to the ten succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1893-March 3, 1915); chairman, Committee on Immigration and Naturalization (Fifty-fourth Congress), Committee on Levees and Improvements of the Mississippi River (Fifty-fifth through Fifty-eighth Congresses), Committee on Public Buildings and Grounds (Fifty-ninth through Sixty-first Congresses); in 1911 was appointed by President Taft as a special envoy to the German Emperor to present a statue of Baron Steuben as a gift from Congress and the American people; was not a candidate for renomination in 1914; engaged in literary pursuits; served as chairman of the Republican State convention at St. Joseph, Mo., in 1896; elected president of the Interparliamentary Union at the conference held in St. Louis in 1904, and for many years was president of the arbitration group in Congress, which he founded in 1903; died in St. Louis, Mo., March 19, 1932; his body was cremated and the ashes interred in Concordia Cemetery.
BARTLETT, James A, fire insurance; born, Boston, Sept. 11, 1834; son of Hosea and Abbie (Tilden) Bartlett; educated in public schools of Boston; married, St. Louis, Jan. 7, 1857, Margaret M. Wineland; children, Andrew W., Abbie T. (Mrs. Joseph Campbell), Hattie G. (deceased), James A., Jr., Warren G. Resident of St. Louis since 1851; began business career as clerk in mercantile house and in 1858 entered the insurance business as clerk for the Marine Insurance Co., with which remained many years, becoming successively secretary, vice president and president until 1891; organized the present firm of Bartlett & Miller, in 1870, general fire insurance business. Recognized as the dean of fire insurance men in St. Louis. Republican. Unitarian. Office: Pierce Bldg. Residence: 2654 Terrace Lane.
St. Louis County
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.