Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" B "

BAKEWELL, Claude Ignatius, a Representative from Missouri; born in St. Louis, Mo., August 9, 1912; graduated from St. Louis University High School, St. Louis, Mo.; graduated, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.,1932; graduated, St. Louis University School of Law, 1935; lawyer, private practice; member, board of aldermen of St. Louis, Mo., 1941-1945; postmaster, city of St. Louis, 1958; United States Navy, 1944-1946; elected as a Republican to the Eightieth Congress (January 3, 1947-January 3, 1949); unsuccessful candidate for reelection to the Eighty-first Congress in 1948; elected as a Republican to the Eighty-second Congress in a special election, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of United States Representative John B. Sullivan (March 9, 1951- January 3, 1953); unsuccessful candidate for reelection to the Eighty-third Congress in 1952; died, in University City, Mo., March 18, 1987; interment at Calvary Cemetery, St. Louis, Mo.
Missouri (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)


BARRET, John Richard, a Representative from Missouri; born in Greensburg, Green County, Ky., August 21, 1825; attended the common schools and Centre College, Danville, Ky.; moved to St. Louis, Mo., in 1839; was graduated from the St. Louis University in 1843; studied law and practiced; elected to the State house of representatives in 1852 and served four terms; became identified with the St. Louis Agricultural Society and organized its exhibitions; presented credentials as a Democratic Member-elect to the Thirty-sixth Congress and served from March 4, 1859, to June 8, 1860, when he was succeeded by Francis P. Blair, Jr., who contested his election; subsequently elected as a Democrat to the same Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Francis P. Blair, Jr., and served from December 3, 1860, to March 3, 1861; unsuccessful for reelection in 1860 to the Thirty-seventh Congress; moved to New York City and engaged in numerous occupations; died in New York City on November 2, 1903; interment in Cave Hill Cemetery, Louisville, Ky.
Missouri (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)


BATES, Edward, (brother of James Woodson Bates), a Representative from Missouri; born in Belmont, Goochland County, Va., September 4, 1793; attended Charlotte Hall Academy, Maryland; acted as sergeant in a volunteer brigade during the War of 1812; moved to St. Louis, Mo., in 1814; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1817 and practiced; circuit prosecuting attorney in 1818; member of the State constitutional convention in 1820; State’s attorney in 1820; member of the State house of representatives in 1822; United States district attorney 1821-1826; elected as an Adams to the Twentieth Congress (March 4, 1827-March 3, 1829); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1828 to the Twenty-first Congress; resumed the practice of law; member of the State senate in 1830; again a member of the State house of representatives in 1834; declined the appointment as Secretary of War in 1850 in the Cabinet of President Fillmore; judge of the St. Louis land court 1853-1856; presided at the Whig National Convention in 1856; appointed by President Lincoln as Attorney General of the United States and served from March 5, 1861, to September 1864; died in St. Louis, Mo., March 25, 1869; interment in Bellefontaine Cemetery; removed from Bellefontaine Cemetery, place of reinterment not known.
Missouri (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)


BAY, William Van Ness, a Representative from Missouri; born in Hudson, N.Y., November 23, 1818; attended the public schools; studied law; was admitted to the bar; moved to Union, Franklin County, Mo., in 1836 and commenced the practice of law; member of the State house of representatives 1844-1848; elected as a Democrat to the Thirty-first Congress (March 4, 1849-March 3, 1851); resumed the practice of law; appointed judge of the State supreme court in 1862; elected to this position in 1863 and served until removed by Governor Fletcher in 1865; moved to St. Louis, Mo., and again resumed the practice of law; retired in 1886 and moved to Eureka, Mo., where he died February 10, 1894; interment in Oak Hill Cemetery, Kirkwood, St. Louis County, Mo.
Missouri (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)


Brodhead, Garland Can, soldier, educator and geologist of St. Louis.Mo., was born Oct. 30, 1827, in Charlottesville, Va. He served in the civil war. He was assistant geologist for the state of Missouri; and in 1887-97 he lectured on geology in the University of Missouri.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw and American Publishers' Association, 1914, Transcribed by AFOFG]


BRY, Nathan, president Bry & Bro. Cloak Co., manufacturers of cloaks, suits and skirts; born, Rawitsch, Germany, Nov. 24, 1854; son of Moses E. and Rosa (Rothstein) Bry; educated in Realschule (high school), Rawitsch; married, St. Louis, 1890, Julia Singer; three children: M. Erwin, Rosalind and Henry. Came to America, 1871; began business in Camden, Ark., 1872, as Bry & Bro., which in 1904 was changed to Bry & Bro. Dry Goods Co. and continued until 1911, when sold out; commenced in St. Louis, under firm name of Bry & Singer, 1893, manufacturing cloaks, etc.; sold out interest in this concern, 1897, and entered same line, 1898, under title of Bry & Bro. Cloak Co. (brother, Louis Bry, who is now living in New York, has been a partner since 1876.) President Bry & Bro. Cloak Co., Bry-Block Mercantile Co., of Memphis, Tenn., Premium Realty & Investment Co.; vice president Lauran Realty Co.; director Mid-City Realty Co. Independent in politics. Jewish religion. Vice president Home for Aged and Infirm Israelites; director and treasurer Jewish Hospital. Member Business Men's League, Civic League. Mason. Clubs: Mercantile, Westward Country. Recreation: golf. Office: 10th and Lucas Ave. Residence: 46 Washington Terrace.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BRYAN, P. Taylor, lawyer; born, St. Louis, Oct. 30, 1861; son of Francis T. and Edmonia (Taylor) Bryan; educated at Washington University, St. Louis; Princeton University, graduating A.B., 1882; St. Louis Law School, LL.B., 1884; married, Montgomery City, Mo., June 26, 1889, Katherine Clark; children, P. Taylor, Jr., Henry C, George F., Francis T., and Edmonia T. Admitted to bar, 1884, and since in general practice at St. Louis; member of firm of Bryan, Richards & Rozier, 1896-1900, Bryan & Christie, 1900-10, since Stewart, Bryan & Williams. Member American, Missouri State and St. Louis Bar associations. Democrat. Episcopalian. Clubs: St. Louis, Mercantile, Noonday, Bellerive Country. Office: Pierce Bldg. Residence: 4346 McPherson Avenue.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BRYAN, William Christy, lawyer; born, St. Louis, Apr. 6, 1868; son of Francis T. and Edmonia (Taylor) Bryan; educated in public schools, Smith Academy, Racine College, Princeton University, A.B., 1891; St. Louis Law School, LL.B., 1894; married, St. Louis, June 3, 1896, Mary Walker White; one son: William Christy, Jr. Admitted to bar in 1893, and since engaged in general practice. Democratic nominee for judge of the Circuit Court, 1904. Member St. Louis and Missouri State Bar associations, Law Library Association. Member of board of managers of St. Louis Industrial School. Democrat. Episcopalian. Clubs: City, Bellerive Country. Favorite recreations: literature, music and outdoor athletic sports. Office: 1651 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 3689 W. Pine Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BRYAN, William James Samuel, assistant superintendent public schools; born, St. Louis, Mar. 12, 1853; son of William and Martha Elizabeth (How) Bryan; educated in Central High School, St. Louis, graduating 1869, and Washington University, graduating B.A., 1873, M.A., 1905; twice married; children: Dr. Wm. M. C, Grace, Howard. Began as teacher Central High School, May, 1873, became assistant principal, March, 1886, vice principal, August, 1893, principal, November, 1905; now assistant superintendent. Member Missouri State Teachers Association, St. Louis Society of Pedagogy, National Society for the Scientific Study of Education, National Educational Association, North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, Washington University Association. Member Civic League. Club: City. Recreation: literature, along classical and scientifical lines. Office: Board of Education Bldg. Residence: 6102 Waterman Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BRYAN, William Morgan Case, physician; born, St. Louis, Nov. 24, 1875; son of William J. S. and Nethie A. (Case) Bryan; A. B., Washington University, 1897; M.S., University of Michigan, 1898; M.D., Johns Hopkins University, 1892; interne German Hospital, Philadelphia, twenty-seven months; married, Quincy, ILL.. June 24, 1908, Helen L. Kimlin. In practice in St. Louis since 1905; instructor ear, nose and throat diseases, Medical Department, St. Louis University; otolaryngologist Mt. St. Rose Hospital and Alexian Brothers Hospital. Member American and Missouri State Medical associations, St. Louis Medical Society, American Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology; lieutenant Medical Reserve Corps, U. S. Army. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Civic League, Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Mason. Recreation: outdoor sports. Office: 306, 508 N. Grand Ave. Residence: 4163 Delmar Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BRYANT, Augustus Hager, glass manufacturer and importer; born, Bloomington, Ind., Mar. 28, 1870; son of James R. and Helen M. (Riley) Bryant; educated in Stoddard (public) School and High School, St. Louis; married, Philadelphia, Oct. 1, 1904, Mary Ford Pilling; children: James Ray, Augustus Hager, Jr., Mary P., Helen M. Began business career in employ of Simmons Hardware Co., Nov. 2, 1884, remaining with that company in various capacities until October, 1897, when became connected with firm of Featherstone & Co., bicycle manufacturers, Chicago; sales manager, 1900-01, for American Bicycle Co., controlling all large bicycle factories in America; purchased interest, 1901, in Missouri Glass Co., of which was vice president and general manager until 1910, at which time became president of company; also president of Bryant, Gore & Bowman Co., a $300,000 corporation, distributors of foreign specialties and druggists' sundries. Democrat. Episcopalian. Member Business Men's League, Interstate Merchants' Association. Club: Noonday. Recreations: athletics, fishing and hunting. Office: 1723 Locust St. Residence: 6341 Washington Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BRYANT, William McKendree, instructor psychology, etc., in St. Louis Normal and High School to 1912; born in Lake Co., Ind., Mar. 31, 1843; son of Eliphalet W. and Esther Eliza Bryant; graduated Ohio Wesleyan University, 1868 (A.M., Ohio Wesleyan; LL.D., University of Missouri); married, 1867, Sarah Augusta Shade, of Columbus, O.; one son: Maxmueller. Private 3d Iowa Infantry, April 1861, to September, 1862; then adjutant 34th Iowa Volunteers until November, 1864 (special honorable mention in the official history; assistant adjutant general brigade during last months of service). Superintendent schools. New Lisbon, O., 1868-69, Burlington, Ia., 1870-73; then teacher in St. Louis city schools and lecturer St. Louis Kindergarten Normal. Author: Hegel's Philosophy of Art; Philosophy of Landscape Painting; The World-Energy and Its Self-Conservation; A Syllabus of Ethics; Hegel's Educational Ideas; Life, Death and Immortality; also numerous monographs and magazine articles on psychology, ethical and pedagogical subjects. Address: Webster Groves, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BRYARS, Robert, vice president and treasurer Huttig Sash and Door Co.; born, Dunganson, County Tyrone, Ireland, June 1, 1854; son of James and Mary (Ritchie) Bryars; educated in national school of birthplace: married, St. Louis, Oct. 17, 1888, Catherine Huttig; children: Mildred Margaret, Helen Beatrice, Roberta Catherine. From 1880 to 1885 was traveling salesman for Gray & Holekamp and R. A. Holekamp, who were succeeded by Huttig Sash and Door Co., for whom continued to travel for about one and one-half years; manager Huttig Bros. Manufacturing Co., St. Joseph, Mo., 1888-90; then assistant manager Western Sash and Door Co-Kansas City; returned to Huttig Sash and Door Co., St. Louis, of which was secretary several years, and is now vice-president and treasurer. Democrat. Presbyterian. Recreation: horses and driving. Office: 1206 S. Vandeventer Ave. Residence: 5024 Raymond Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BRYSON, Joseph Montgomery, general counsel Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway Co.; born, Pittsburgh, Pa., Mar. 26, 1867; son of John Campbell and Nancy (Chambers) Bryson; attended public and high schools at Warrensburg, Mo., and later the State Normal School at same place, graduating, 1887, with degree of B.S.D.; married, St. Louis, Oct. 17, 1894, Mazie Barret Finney; children: Chambers Fulton, Mary Finney, Alice Dalton. Entered law offices of Warner, Dean & Hagerman, Kansas City, Mo., 1887, and studied law under immediate tutelage of James Hagerman of that firm; admitted to bar, 1889, and ever since engaged in practice; now general counsel Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway Co. Member of St. Louis, Missouri State and American Bar associations. Republican. Presbyterian. Clubs: Mercantile, Missouri Athletic, Automobile. Office: Wainwright Bldg. Residence: 5570 Chamberlain Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUCHANAN, James Edward, manager Missouri Athletic Club; born, Chicago, Dec. 4, 1809; son of Joseph O. and Jennie Buchanan; educated in Chicago public schools; married, Chicago, June 21, 1908, Louise Darnall. Previous to 1908 engaged in railroad service; manager Missouri Athletic Club since Oct. 1, 1908. Independent in politics. Mason, Knight Templar, Shriner. Address: Missouri Athletic Club.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUCHANAN, William John, wholesale grocer; born, Gosport, Ind., Apr. 6, 1872; son of Henry M. and Hannah T. (Foreman) Buchanan; educated in public schools of Indiana and Illinois; married, St. Louis, Aug. 7, 1894, Helen G. Whitman. Began as clerk in retail grocery at Morrisonville, ILL., continuing until nearly of age; then came to St. Louis and was with Adam Roth Grocery Co., later with Benjamin W. Clark Grocer Co., until 1905; president of the Krekeler Grocer Co. for several years, now president Buchanan Grocer Co. Office: 510 N. Main St. Residence: 3653 De Tonty St.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUCK, John, planing mill business; born, Holstein, Germany, Oct. 2, 1840; son of John and Kate Buck; educated in public schools of Germany; married, St. Louis, 1881, Fredericke Niehaus; children: Bertha, Albert, Eugene. Learned carpenter's trade in Germany, and in 1868 came from that country direct to St. Louis, where followed trade first as journeyman and then for self; joined in organization, 1875, of the Mechanics' Planing Mill Co., and in 1877 was elected treasurer and a director of the company. Member North St. Louis Turn-Verein. Office: 3742 N. Broadway. Residence: 3506 Sullivan Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUDER, Edward, treasurer Mercantile Trust Co.; born, St. Louis, Dec. 27, 1863; son of Anton and Appolonia (Schmidt) Buder; educated in public schools to fourteen; married, Sept. 17, 1910, Lulu F. Hammond, of St. Louis. Began active career in law office of Finkelnburg & Rassieur, continuing two years; after spending a year in a mercantile house became connected with the Mechanics' Bank (later the Mechanics' National Bank); assisted, 1902, in organizing the American Central Trust Co., of which was secretary and treasurer until 1904, when the company was absorbed by the Mercantile Trust Co.; was made assistant treasurer latter organization and has served as treasurer since 1907; also cashier Mercantile National Bank since its organization in December, 1908; director Mercantile Trust Go. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange. Republican. Clubs: Mercantile, Century Boat, Bankers', Lemp Hunting and Fishing (president). Recreations: fishing and hunting. Office: 8th and Locust Sts. Residence: 5337 Delmar Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUDER, Eugene, lawyer; born, St. Louis, Sept. 9, 1871; son of Anton and Appolonia (Schmidt) Buder; educated in St. Louis grammar schools until 1887; graduated St. Louis High School, January, 1891; LL.B., St. Louis Law School, 1898; unmarried. Began active career, 1891, as bookkeeper for F. W. Feuerbacher & Co., maltsters, and continued 1891-92; bookkeeper for H. P. Philper & Co., refrigerating machinery, 1892-95; occupied a similar position with the Balmer & Weber Music House, 1895-99; in general practice of law in St. Louis since 1899. Democrat. Recreations: golf and tennis. Office: 508 New Bank of Commerce Bldg. Residence: 3321 Shenandoah Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUDKE, Conrad, advertising agent; born, St. Louis, Jan. 23, 1859; son of Gerhard and Hannah (Caldemeier) Budke; educated at Kopf's private school, 1865-72; Clay public school during 1872; married, St. Louis, June 17, 1880, Carrie Vette; children: Conrad, Jr., and Louis. Started in newspaper advertising business (1872) at age of twelve with Sheffield & Stone, firm failing, 1873; was employed by receiver until business was wound up late in 1873. Sheffield started new agency under name of St. Louis Advertising and Publishing Co., and was employed by him late in 1873 and until his second failure in 1876. Entered employ, 1876, of Rowell & Chesman (established 1874 as advertising agents), taking to them Sheffield's unfinished contracts; firm of Rowell & Chesman, changed to Nelson Chesman & Co., in 1879, of which became secretary on incorporation of the business in 1888, later vice president; now president and treasurer, company being extensive newspaper and magazine advertising agents. Member St. Louis Advertising Men's League; trustee University Heights, Mo. Member Y. M. C. A. Republican. Presbyterian. Mason (Tuscan Lodge, St. Louis Chapter, St. Aldemar Commandery, Moolah Temple). Clubs: Mercantile (director), Missouri Athletic, Arcadia. Office: 1127-29 Pine St. Residence: 7 Princeton Ave., University Heights, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUETTNER, Julius Henry, house furnishing; born, St. Louis, June 23, 1874; son of Henry  and  Margarctha   (Gaul) Buettner; graduated from Bed Bud, ILL., public schools, 1889; from Christian Brothers College, St. Louis, as Master of Accounts, 1891; married, Belleville, ILL., Oct. 7, 1897, Matilda Mohr; children: Marguerite Marie, Carl Theodore. Began as office boy with Excelsior Brewery, St. Louis, remaining two years and advancing to bookkeeper; then cashier Columbia Brewery, and later in wholesale drug business with Moffitt-West Drug Co.; credit man with St. Louis House Furnishing Co., 1901-03; organized, Feb. 8, 1903, the Union House Furnishing Co., of which was president until 1909, when firm name was changed to J. H. Buettner Furniture and Carpet Co., of which is president. Independent in politics. Member Evangelical Church. Club: Missouri Athletic. Member Masonic Fraternity, Knights of Pythias, Odd Fellows, Royal League. Office: 7th and Washington Sts. Residence: American Hotel.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUHMAN, Rudolph, physician; born, St. Joseph, Mo., Aug. 3, 1872; educated in public schools of St. Joseph, Mo.; M.D., Medical Department, St. Louis University, 1894; unmarried. In practice in St. Louis since 1894; specializes as pathologist. Protestant. Member American Medical Association, Missouri State Medical Association, St. Louis Medical Society. Office and Residence: 5264 Page Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUICK, James McNair, vice president American Car and Foundry Co.; born, Detroit, Mich., Nov. 7, 1867; son of James S. and Ellen (McNair) Buick; educated in public and high schools of Detroit. Began active career, 1880, in shops of the Michigan Car Co., Detroit, and when original company was succeeded by the Michigan Peninsular Car Co., in 1892, was made assistant superintendent; later became auditor; was appointed general auditor American Car and Foundry Co., St. Louis, 1899, and has been vice president and executive officer at St. Louis since 1906; also vice president Helmbacher Forge and Rolling Mill Co., Sligo Furnace Co., Sligo & Eastern Railway Co.; director American Street Flushing Machine Co., Rogers Ballast Car Co. (Chicago), National Dump Car Co. (Chicago.) Presbyterian. Mason. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, University, Racquet, Glen Echo. Office: 915 Olive St. Residence: The Buckingham.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BULLOCK, Richard Benbow, retired; born, Malvern, Worcestershire, England, Mar. 19, 1842; son of Richard and Violetta Bullock; educated in private school; married, St. Louis, 1873, Sarah S. Absolom; children: Richard A., George B., James A., Violet S. Started active career in England in 1854; began in dry goods business in St. Louis in 1872 with H. J. Powell under firm name of Powell & Bullock; after two years started for self in retail dry goods business, later incorporated as the B. B. Bullock Dry Goods Co., of which was president until 1909, when sold out and retired. Also vice president Jefferson Bank. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason. Club: Glen Echo Country. Recreations: motoring and traveling. Residence: 16 Kingsbury PL.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUNCH, Rodney J., physician and surgeon; born, Cairo, ILL., Dec. 13, 1880; son of Andrew J. and Minerva Isabel (Sams) Bunch; educated in Cairo public schools to 1898; University of Illinois, 1898-1900; entered medical department St. Louis University, 1901, graduating with degree M.D., May, 1905; married. Served in St. Louis City Hospital as junior physician and surgeon, 1906-07; senior physician and surgeon, 1907-08; assistant superintendent and surgeon, 1908-10; then began private practice. Member St. Louis City Hospital Alumni Association, St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri State Medical Society, American Medical Association. Protestant. Author: Surgical Treatment Amebic Dysentery, 1908; Perforating Gun Shots of Abdomen, 1908; Diphtheria from Medical Standpoint, 1910; Thoracic Aneurysms, 1909. Recreations: outdoor sports. Office: 2601 Washington Ave. Residence: 4027 Maffitt Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUNTIN, Davis Carpenter, contractor; born, Terre Haute, Ind., July 9, 1858; son of Toussaint Campbell and Emma (Steele) Buntin; educated in graded and high schools, Terre Haute; graduated from Indiana State University, Bloomington, Ind., A.B., 1880; married, Indianapolis, Feb. 12, 1901, Stella Walcott; two daughters: Katherine and Sue. After leaving college, 1880, entered service of Vandalia R. R. as clerk in general office, and later secretary to general counsel and general manager, and assistant paymaster, to 1887; contractor for public work as member of firm of Buntin & Shryer, Duluth, Minn., 1887-94, and with Indianapolis as headquarters, 1894-1902; since 1902 in St. Louis; assisted in organizing and incorporating the Granite Bituminous Paving Co., of which has since been general manager, treasurer and a director, the company being engaged in contracting for all kinds of public work. Republican. Methodist. Club: St. Louis. Office: 409 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 20 N. Kingshighway.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURG, Henry, flour and grain; born in St. Louis Co., Mo., Aug. 23, 1851; son of Henry and Katherine (Shoenling) Burg; educated in public schools and at Bryant & Stratton Business College; married, St. Louis, Lillie Schuler; children: Ada C, Lydia L., Paul H. Began business career as clerk in store of David Nicholson, wholesale and retail groceries, and in 1878 in similar position in store of brother, Philip Burg; in 1879 entered office of August C. Miller & Co., commission merchants in flour, grain and mill feed; and after one year with that firm engaged in brokerage business for self, later becoming member of present firm of Annan, Burg & Co., flour, grain and mill feed. Member St. Louis Merchants' Exchange, St. Louis Millers' Club. Member Mound City Council Royal Arcanum. Office: 107 N. Third St. Residence: 3831 Cleveland Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURG, William, iron and steel broker; born, St. Louis, Mar. 1, 1847; educated in public and private schools of St. Louis; married Margaret Henderson, of St. Louis, Oct. 26, 1875; three children: Arthur H., Chester E. and William H. Began business career with James Archer, iron merchant, and later joined the firm of William H. Markham & Co., dealers in iron and steel; traveled for this concern throughout the middle west from 1870-75; when the Ewald Iron Co. (Tennessee Rolling Works, Ky.) was organized, he was elected first secretary and manager of the St. Louis house, and was connected with this company as stockholder and secretary until 1896, when he sold his interest to L. P. Ewald; has since been in business for himself as dealer and broker in iron and steel. Member Merchants ' Exchange, Business Men's League, St. Louis Academy of Science, Hospital Saturday and Sunday Association, St. Louis Pure Milk Commission, National Geographic Society (Washington, D. C), Civic League, Washington University Association, and for fifteen years a member of the board and now secretary of the St. Louis Provident Association. Was a member of the February Grand Jury of 1902. Was appointed by the governor as a delegate to the Third National Peace Congress, held at Baltimore, May 3-5, 1911; also a delegate by appointment of the governor to the Southern Commercial Congress, held at Atlanta, Ga., March, 1911. Member Second Presbyterian Church. Club: Mercantile. Recreation: music. Office: 119 Merchants' Exchange Bldg. Residence: 4439 Washington Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURGER, Ferdinand, vice president of Feuerborn Toy Co.; born, Baden, Germany, Jan. 15, 1873; son of Joseph and Margaret (Huber) Burger; educated in public schools in Germany; married, St. Louis, July 1, 1895, Mrs. Mary (Hoer) Plasmeier; children: Bernard Plasmeier, John Plasmeier, Marie, Joseph, Edward, William. Came to United States in 1889, and worked as stonemason at Boonville, Mo., having learned that trade in Germany. Located at St. Louis in 1895 and started in the retail toy and notion business, in which continued until Jan. 1, 1905, when assisted in the organization of the Feuerborn Toy Co., of which is vice president. Roman Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus, United Commercial Travelers. Favorite recreations: hunting and theatres. Office: 919 N. Broadway. Residence: 4587 Cote Brilliante Ave. Princeton University, 1903; LL.B., St. Louis Law School (Washington University), 1905; married, St. Louis, Dec. 30, 1907, Ada P. Davis; two children: Margaret Davis and Robert, Jr. Admitted to Missouri bar at St. Louis, June, 1905; member firm of McPheeters & Burkham, 1905-May, 1909. Secretary Young Men's Republican Auxiliary, November, 1908-May, 1909, resigned; U. S. commissioner, January-May, 1909, resigned; secretary to mayor of St. Louis, May, 1908-October, 1911, resigned; second associate city councilor since Oct. 1, 1911. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Bar Association of St. Louis (treasurer and member executive committee, 1908-10), Civic League, Phi Delta Phi law fraternity, Blackstone (law) Club. Clubs: Racquet.City. Recreation: books. Office: City Hall.   Residence: 5035 Westminster PI.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURKS, Eugene, real estate; born in Hancock Co., ILL., Nov. 25, 1867; son of Allen J. and Mary S. (Wagner) Burks; educated in public schools of Missouri, and at Stanberry (Mo.) Normal School; married, Bismarck, Mo., Nov. 20, 1894, Eddie M. Wallen; children: Lelia Fern, Eugenia Irene. Began business career as clerk for Willard Case & Co. in 1894; began the manufacture of hardwood lumber in Arkansas, near Little Rock, and in 1900 became one of the incorporators of the Willard Case Lumber Co., of which was vice president and secretary until 1909; since in real estate business. Democrat. Member Christian (Disciples) Church. Office: 706 Chestnut St. Residence: Webster Groves, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURLINGAME, Ira L., railway official; born, Franklinville, N. Y., Sept. (6, 1862; son of Ira L. and Harriet (Lyon) Burlingame; educated at Ten Broeck Academy, Franklinville, N. Y.; married, Pana, ILL., Oct. 4, 1883, Alice H. Eichelbcrger; children: Katharine H., Ruth L. Began railway service as telegraph operator, on Ohio & Mississippi R. R., 1879-83; train dispatcher, 1883-95, and trainmaster, 1895-1903, with the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Ry.; assistant superintendent, December, 1903, to March, 1904, superintendent, March, 1904, to October, 1905, general superintendent since Nov. 1, 1905, Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis. Republican. Presbyterian. Mason, Knight Templar, Shriner. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, The Traffic of St. Louis, St. Louis Railway. Recreation: baseball. Office: 103 Union Station. Residence: 5655 Bartmer Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURNES, Kennett Farrar, secretary Granby Mining and Smelting Co.; born, St. Louis, Feb. 15, 1878; son of Daniel Dee and Martha Sweringen (Farrar) Burnes; matriculated in Harvard University, 1897, graduating with degree of A.B., 1901; married, St. Louis, Aug. 24, 1907, Adele Mellier; one son: James Nelson. After leaving college engaged in banking business at St. Joseph, Mo.; secretary and director Granby Mining and Smelting Co. since 1905. Member Masonic Order. Clubs: St. Louis, Bellerive Country. Office: Third National Bank Bldg. Residence: 1 Lenox PL.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURNETT, Edwin Clark, physician; born, Mansfield, O., Jan. 19, 1854; son of Dwight and Mary Ann (Bristow) Burnett; educated in public schools and by private tutors at Olney, ILL.; graduated from St. Louis Medical College, 1883; unmarried. Began practice of medicine at Olney, ILL., March, 1883; moved to St. Louis, June 14, 1884, and has since practiced in this city. Formerly clinical professor genitourinary diseases, Medical Department of Washington University. Member St. Louis Academy of Science, St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri State Medical Association, American Association of Genito-Urinary Surgeons (ex-president). Republican. Clubs: University, Racquet. Recreation: field sports. Office: 547 Century Bldg. Residence: University Club.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURNHAM, Cyrus Barrett, retired; born, Strafford, Orange Co., Vt., June 6, 1822; son of John and Harriet (Barrett) Burnham; educated in public school in native town and at Norwich University, Vermont, 1837-39, receiving diploma of civil engineer; married, Standstead, Canada, 1845, Miss Mary J. Reed. Lived on farm until went to university; clerk in country store, Strafford, Vt., 1840-42; went to Canada, 1842, and was connected with mercantile business there until September, 1847; arrived in St. Louis, Nov. 6, 1847, and in January, 1848, became associated with Greeley & Gale, which connection was continuous under changes of name as wholesale grocers until August, 1893, when became Greeley-Burnham Grocer Co. Elected, November, 1862, director in St. Louis Building and Savings Association, which was renamed Bank of Commerce, of which was president, 1875-83; from that bank was developed the present National Bank of Commerce in St. Louis; resigned as director of latter in August, 1893, after continuous service in directorate of the bank and its predecessors for thirty-one years. Now director Washington Land and Mining Co. Served as quartermaster general State of Missouri, from November, 1861, to August, 1862; was on staff of Gov. Hamilton R. Gamble until death of latter, and on staff of his successor, Gov. Willard P. Hall, until the expiration of official term in 1865. Club: St. Louis Commercial. Office: Wainwright Bldg. Residence: 456 N. Newstead Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURNS, George MacCleary, sales agent Railway Steel Spring Co.; born, Coshocton, O., Aug. 25, 1858; son of Joseph and Mary (Johnson) Burns; educated in public schools of  Coshocton to fifteen. Entered employ of Pennsylvania Railway as timekeeper, 1876; division storekeeper Texas Pacific R. R., 1881, and chief clerk to general superintendent Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton R. R., 1882-85; Queen & Crescent R. R., at Meriden, Miss., 1885-86, to superintendent same road, at Birmingham, Ala., 1886-91, and at Somerset, Ky.,1891-92;after serving as chief clerk to general manager of the Big Four Road, 1892-93, he filled a similar office under the general manager of the Queen & Crescent R. R., 1893-96. Came to St. Louis, 1896, as fuel agent Wabash Railroad Co., also chief clerk to vice president and general manager; superintendent Wabash Road at Detroit, Mich., 1900-06; then returned to St. Louis and has since acted as sales agent of the Railway Steel Spring Co.; also director Wagner Mercantile Co. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason (32°). Clubs: St. Louis, Missouri Athletic, Mercantile, Algonquin. Recreation: golf. Office: 1405, 915 Olive 8t. Residence: 5897 Washington Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURNS, Louis N., motor cars; born, St. Louis, Jan. 16, 1866; son of Lewis H. and Julia (Hildebrand) Burns; educated in country district school and in business college at Peoria, ILL.; married, Peoria, ILL., May 17,1887, Flora E. Bethard; children: Ray Alexander, Gladys, Julia, Robert, Florence Virginia, Donald. Began in 1882 with Kingman & Co., at Peoria, ILL.; in 1884 came to the St. Louis house of same firm; when in 1894 company was reorganized as the Kingman St. Louis Implement Co., became manager and a few years later also vice president; now president Burns-Ramsden Motor Car Co. Republican. Methodist. Member Implement and Vehicle Board of Trade, Business Men's League. Mason. Club: Missouri Athletic. Residence: 5541 Chamberlain Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURNS, Patrick, president P. Burns Saddlery Co.; born in County Roscommon, Ireland, June 29, 1834; son of Hugh and Catherine (McCauley) Burns; educated in schools in Ireland and United States; married in Cooper Co., Mo., Oct. 31, 1865, Ann McCubbin; children: Edward V., Robert A., Hugh J. Left Ireland in 1849, coming to Nashville, Tenn., where was employed as apprentice by uncle, M. Burns; remained in Tennessee until 1854, then went to Pisgah, Cooper Co., Mo., and established in business. Began in St. Louis, 1864, as Burns & Degnan, continuing until July, 1881, when firm was dissolved and the firm of P. Burns & Co. was established, thus continuing until December, 1904, when business was incorporated as P. Burns Saddlery Co., of which is president. Democrat. Catholic. Office: 713-715 Lucas Ave. Residence: 4924 Berlin Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURNS, Robert, surgeon; born, St. Louis, Aug. 17, 1879; son of Robert and Emily Mary (St. Gemme) Burns;   educated in public schools, St. Louis University, Smith Academy and by private instruction; graduated from Medical Department, Washington University, M.D., 1901; married, St. Louis, Jan. 6, 1903, Kathrynne Frances Ziegler. Began practice of medicine, May 5, 1901; was appointed assistant surgeon to Polyclinic Hospital and Clinic; became associated with Dr. H. Tuholske as assistant at St. Louis Surgical Hospital (private), September, 1901, and still remains with him as private assistant and anesthetist; appointed junior assistant to surgical clinic and surgical staff, Washington University Hospital, 1904; appointed senior assistant surgeon to Washington University, 1906; assistant surgeon to Bethesda Hospital, 1911. Member St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri State Medical Association, American Medical Association, Alumni Society of Medical Department of Washington University. Independent in politics. Mason (Royal Arch). Club: Automobile. Recreations: motoring and fishing. Office: 4500 Olive St., Rms. 1 and 2. Residence: 4953 McPherson Ave..
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURNS, Robert Augustine, real estate; born, St. Louis, July 25, 1874; son of Patrick and Ann (McCubbin) Burns; educated at St. Theresa's (parish) School, Wyman Crow (public) School, Christian Brothers College, A.B., 1894, A.M., 1896, and one year at St. Louis Law School; married, Aberdeen, Miss., Dec. 17, 1902, Mary Weller Carter; children: Robert Carter, Jane Carter. Entered firm of P. Burns & Co. as clerk in 1894, and worked in various departments and also as traveling salesman; took charge as general manager, 1902, and when business was incorporated as P. Burns Saddlery Co., Jan. 1, 1905, was elected vice president and secretary. Withdrew from the company, January, 1899, and organized the Bush-Burns Realty Co., of which is president. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange. Catholic. Club: Mercantile. Recreation: motoring. Office: 1105 Chestnut St. Residence: 4521 Forest Park Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURR, Henry Bell, president Carterville Coal Co.; born, Boonville, Mo., Dec. 27, 1860; son of William E. and Harriette (Brand) Burr; completed early education in St. Louis High School; married, Dallas, Tex., Apr. 28, 1906, Mrs. Eula W. Dayton; three children: Kinsey, Minnie G. and William E. Went to Texas, 1883, and engaged in business in that state for twenty-five years; was elected president and general manager Carterville Coal Co., with mines at Carterville, ILL., Nov. 27, 1908, and has since resided in St. Louis. Member KoKoals; also Illinois Commercial Men's Association, International Travelers' Association. Democrat. Episcopalian. Recreations: fishing and bowling. Office: 912 Rialto Bldg. Residence: 6132 Kingsbury Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURRITT, William Henry, president Banner Rubber Co.; born, Huntsville, Ala., Feb. 17, 1869; son of Armatus Robbins and Mary King (Robinson) Burritt; educated in private schools of Huntsville, Ala.; Bingham School, North Carolina; Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn., M.D., 1890; married, St. Louis, Nov. 29, 1900, Mrs. Josephine T. Drummond. Engaged in general practice of medicine at Huntsville, Ala., 1890-1900; came to St. Louis, 1901; in July, 1902, was elected president and general manager of the Banner Rubber Co., manufacturers and wholesalers of rubber boots and shoes. Episcopalian. Clubs: Glen Echo, Missouri Athletic. Recreation: motoring. Office: 500 Bittner St. Residence: 4014 Lindell Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BURROWES, Alexander J., president St. Louis University; born, St. Louis, Oct. 14, 1853; son of Michael and Mary (Quirk) Burrowes; educated Christian Brothers School, St. Louis, six years, Niagara University, one year, Woodstock College, Maryland, seven years (mental and moral philosophy, theology, science and mathematics). Ordained priest, R. C. Church, 1886; vice president Detroit (Mich.) College, 1889-90; president St. Zavier's College, Cincinnati, 1893-97, Marquette College (chartered as university during his term of office), 1900-08, St. Ignatius College, Chicago, Feb. 11, 1908, to February, 1912 (Loyola University, established 1909, with departments of Law, Medicine and College of Arts and Sciences, is an expansion of St. Ignatius); president St. Louis University since February, 1912. Trustee St. Ignatius College and Loyola University, Chicago. Member Civic League, Federation of Catholic Societies. Address: St. Louis University.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUSCH, Adolphus, president Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association; born, Mayence-on-the-Rhine, Germany, July 10, 1842; son of Ulrich and Barbara (Pfeifer) Busch; educated at gymnasium at Mayence, the Academy at Darmstadt, and high schools at Brussels; married, St. Louis, Mar. 7, 18G1, Lilly Anheuser; children: August A. (Mrs. Jacob W. Loeb), Mrs. Hugo Reisinger, Mrs. Paul von Gontard, Mrs. Edward A. Faust, Wilhelmina, Carl. Came to United States, 1857; entered Union Army, June, 1861, and had four months' service under General Lyon; became associated with E. Anheuser in the brewing business, and in 1865 was admitted to partnership in the E. Anheuser Brewing Co., later became the Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association, of which is president. Also president South Side Bank, Manufacturers' Ry. Co., American Diesel Engine Co. (New York), Geyser lee Co. (Waco, Tex.); director St. Louis Union Trust Co., Third National Bank, Kinloch Telephone Co., North American Co.. American Car and Foundry Co., American Bottle Co.  Decorated by Emperor of Germany. Republican. Unitarian. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, University, Mercantile (St. Louis), Engineers and Midday (New York). Office: Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association. Residence: Busch Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUSCH, August Anheuser, vice president Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association; born, St. Louis, Dec. 29, 1865; son of Adolphus and Lilly (Anheuser) Busch; educated at Lyon (public) School, St. Louis, Morgan Park Military Institute, Chicago, ILL., and Kemper School, Boonville, Mo.; married, St. Louis, May 8, 1890, Alice Zisemann; live children: Adolph, Jr., Marie, Clara, August, Jr., Alice. After leaving school was sent to Germany, where received practical course of instruction in the brewing schools of that country; returned to United States and spent time to similar purpose in New York; then served for three years as brewer's apprentice with the Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association; then entered general office as scale clerk; now first vice president of the association. Member A. F. & A. M., B. P. O. Elks, and Legion of Honor. Clubs: St. Louis, Mercantile, Missouri Athletic, Noonday, Liederkranz, University, Racquet, etc. Recreations: hunting, fishing, yachting and all outdoor sports. Office: Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association. Residence: Busch Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUSCH, Otto Schubert, brewers' supplies; born, Chicago, Mar. 6, 1871; son of Ulrich and Anna (Anheuser) Busch; nephew of Adolphus Busch; educated in public schools of Chicago and at Racine (Wis.) College; married, Louisville, Ky., Apr. 28, 1893, to Miss Anna Bonn; one son, Ulrich. Resident of St. Louis since 1891; has been engaged in the brewers' supply business since 1898, now representing M. Seidenberger Sons, of Germany, hop growers and importers. Democrat. Member Masonic Order, Fraternal Order of Eagles, B. P. O. Elks. Clubs: Union, Liederkranz. Residence: 6152 Washington Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUSH, Benjamin Franklin, railway official; born, Wellsburg, Pa., July 5, 1859; son of James and Rosella (Henry) Bush; educated in Wellsburg High School and Mansfield State Normal School; married. River Falls, Pierce Co., Wis., May 30, 1883, Catherine Idelia Hawkins; one daughter: Idelia Frances Bush. Began railway service with Northern Pacific R. R., 1882, as rodman, and later became assistant and division engineer, same road, until 1887; division engineer Union Pacific R. R.. in Idaho and Oregon, 1887-89; chief engineer and general superintendent of the Oregon Improvement Co., 1889-96; general manager of Northwestern Improvement Co. (which controlled coal properties of Northern Pacific R. R.), 1896-1903; vice president and general manager. Western Coal and Mining Co. since Feb. 1, 1903, and vice president and general manager of the Consolidated Coal Co., of St. Louis, since Nov. 1, 1903. Appointed fuel agent of the Missouri Pacific Hy., February, 1903; president Western Maryland B. B., at Baltimore, 1907 08; receiver same road until reorganized, when again became president; president Missouri Pacific Ry. with headquarters at St. Louis since April, 1911; also president Denver & Bio Grande By. since January, 1912; director Maryland National Bank, Durham Coal and Iron Co. Appointed by President Roosevelt in 1907 as member Advisory Board on Fuels and Structural Materials. Member American Mining Congress, American Institute Mining Engineers, Business Men's League. Presbyterian. Clubs: St Louis, Mercantile, Noonday, The Traffic, Automobile, Bellerive Country (St. Louis), Maryland (Baltimore). Favorite recreations: tennis and fishing. Office: 708 Missouri Pacific Bldg. Residence: 30 Portland PL.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUSH, Wade Hampton, real estate; born, Lancaster, Ky., Nov. 23, 1868; son of William N. and Osee (Salter) Bush; educated at public school, Lancaster, until fifteen years of age; unmarried. Came to St. Louis at age of sixteen and began active career in employ of the Missouri Pacific Ry. Co., with which continued for two years; then engaged with Albert Wenzlick in title business, 1888-99; cashier Aiple & Hemmelmann Real Estate Co., 1899-1906; in real estate business for self since 1906; vice president Bush-Burns Realty Co.; secretary McPherson Ave. Development Co. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange. Democrat Protestant. Recreations: billiards, baseball. Office: 1105 Chestnut St. Residence: 4778 Greer Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUTLER, James Gay, capitalist; born, Saugatuck, Mich., Jan. 23, 1840; son of William O. and Eliza (McKennan) Butler; educated in high schools of Suffield, Conn., and Allegan, Mich.; entered University of Michigan as sophomore, 1858, missed senior year by enlisting in army, in 1861, and received B.S. degree forty-three years after, in 1904; served in Third Michigan Cavalry, in ranks eight months, and afterward as second lieutenant, first lieutenant, adjutant, quartermaster, and major, and commanded regiment during last eight months of its service of four and one-half years in the Civil War; married, Grand Haven, Mich., Oct. 15, 1868, Maggie Leggat. Engaged in the manufacture of tobacco in St. Louis from July, 1866, and was afterward director of the American Tobacco Co., until retired from business (still large stockholder). Director and member of executive committee Mercantile Trust Co., and Mercantile National Bank. Served in Missouri National Guard, 1876-91, as colonel police reserves and of the Third and First Regiments. Republican; candidate for mayor, 1880. Director Louisiana Purchase Exposition. Presbyterian. Past Supreme Chancellor Legion of Honor; Past Commander St. Louis Commandery Loyal Legion; Past Commander Ransom Post, G. A. R.; member Sons of the Revolution, New England Society, Society Army of the Tennessee. Clubs: St. Louis, Mercantile (St. Louis), New York Yacht (New York). Residence: 4484 W. Pine Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUTLER, James Joseph, lawyer, congressman; born, St. Louis, Aug. 29, 1862; son of Edward and Ellen (O'Neil) Butler; attended St. Louis public schools, St. Xavier's Catholic School; graduated St. Louis University; admitted to bar, June 2, 1884; married, Aug. 11, 1896, Rose Mary Lancaster, St. Louis; one son: Edward Lancaster. Member St Louis Board of Education one term; city attorney two terms, 1886-94; member of Congress from Twelfth Missouri District, 1901-05. Was twice elected to Fifty-seventh Congress and twice unseated by party vote, the second unseating bringing about the longest and bitterest filibuster in the history of the House of Representatives; reelected to Fifty-eighth Congress and seated; Democrat. Engaged since 1905 in looking after family estate and private interests. President Empire Circuit Co., an Ohio corporation, operating about fifty theaters in different parts of America. Member B. P. O. Elks. Residence: 3711 W. Pine Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUTLER, Louie Picot, physician; born, Beaufort, S. C, Oct. 11, 1866; son of Pierce N. and Aurelia (Picot) Butler; educated in public schools until 1882; Wyman Institute, Alton, ILL., 1883-85: graduated from St. Louis Medical College, M.D., 1888; post-graduate student in medical schools and hospitals in New York, Germany and England, 1900-02; married, Buffalo, N. Y., 1892, Miss E. E. Thompson; one son: Ralph. Practiced as interne at St. Louis City and Alexian Brothers hospitals, 1888-90; in practice in Franklin Co., Mo., 1890-1900; since 1902 in practice at St. Louis. Member medical staff St. Luke's Hospital, St. Louis Maternity Hospital; instructor St. Louis University. Member American Medical Association, Missouri State Medical Association, St. Louis Medical Society. Catholic. Clubs: St. Louis, Missouri Athletic, Noonday. Office: 4661 Maryland Ave. Residence: 4475 Laclede Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUTLER, Wallace Clark, insurance adjuster; born, Louisville, Ky., Sept. 21, 1833; son of Mann and Martha (Dedman) Butler; educated in Wyman's School, St. Louis; served in the Confederate Army as major and pay quartermaster; widower; children: Julia B., Nina B. (wife of Dr. T. C. Witherspoon), Wallace C, Jr., Sadie B. (wife of Dr. B. D. Carman.) In the insurance business in 1865 and since 1869 continuously engaged in business in St. Louis as an insurance adjuster; member of firm of W. C. Butler & Son, with W. C. Butler, Jr., as partner, 1899-1906, since alone. Presbyterian. Member Confederate Veterans. Club: St. Louis. Office: Pierce Bldg. Residence: 5530 Cates Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUTLER, Wallace Clark, Jr., insurance; born, St. Louis, Mar. 17, 1873; son of Wallace Clark and Evie (Henly) Butler; educated Smith Academy, St. Louis, 1884-90; Rugby Academy, 1890-91; Hamilton College, Clinton, N. Y., 1891-93; married, St. Louis, June, 1899, Leila North Smith; one daughter: Elinor Witherspoon. Entered office of father, W. C. Butler, insurance adjuster, in 1893, as clerk, and in 1899 was made partner, the firm becoming W.C. Butler & Son, adjusters for insurance companies; in 1906 became connected with Chas. L. Crane & Co., and when the firm was incorporated in 1909 as Chas. L. Crane Agency Co., was made secretary; also manager and attorney Manufacturers' and Merchants' Requitable Exchange and Inter-Insurance Agency. Democrat. Presbyterian. Member Sigma Phi, and Theta Nu Epsilon. Office: 1301-1322 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 4916A Washington Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUTTS, Cornelius Lillard, real estate broker; born, Craig, Mo., June 13, 1879; son of Christopher Lillard and Wayne A. (Dennis) Butts; educated in private schools, Cameron, Mo.; married, St. Louis, Oct. 21, 1908, Caroline Cunningham; one child: Gordon Cunningham. Began business career as office boy with Simmons Hardware Co., St. Louis, 1897, advanced to assistant buyer and continued with same house until 1900; engaged with Stanley Rule and Level Co., New Britain, Conn., in charge central west sales department, 1900-07; then with brother William organized present firm of Butts Realty Co. Member Real Estate Exchange, Civic League, Business Men's League. Republican. Mason. Club: Normandie Golf. Recreations: golf and motoring. Office: 118 N. 7th St. Residence: Clayton, St. Louis Co.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BUTTS, William Wayne, real estate broker; born, Hamburg, Fremont Co., Ia., June 10, 1875; son of Christopher Lillard and Wayne A. (Dennis) Butts; educated in private schools, Cameron, Mo.; married, St. Louis, Oct. 15, 1903, Susan A. Parker; two children: Katharine L., Francis W. Began business career at St. Joseph, Mo., with C. D. Smith Drug Co., continuing until 1899; engaged in wholesale drug business, Denver, as member firm of Bridaham-Querean Drug Co., 1899-1902; manager Philadelphia branch of National Gum & Mica Co., of New York, 1902-03; Omaha representative H. K. Mulford Co., of Philadelphia, 1903-07; then with brother Cornelius organized Butts Realty Co., St. Louis. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange, Business Men's League. Republican. Congregationalism Club: Normandie Golf. Recreation: golf. Office: 118 N. 7th St. Residence: 5907 Washington Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BYARS, William Vincent, journalist; born, Covington, Tenn., June 21, 1857; son of James and Mary (Vincent) Byars; educated by his father (principal Tipton Male High School, Covington), gaining classical and scientific education; married, Brownsville, Tenn., June 15, 1880, Loula Clement, daughter Rev. Charles Francis Collins. Associate editor Weekly Record, Covington, Tenn., 1877-78; on city staff St. Louis Daily Times, 1879, St. Louis Globe-Democrat, 1880; city and editorial staff Missouri Republican and its successor, St. Louis Republic, 1881-93 (except one year on editorial staff St. Louis Chronicle); editorial staff Morning World and contributor to Evening World, New York, 1893-97; editorial and local contributor to Harper's Weekly, 1897-98; contributor to various journals. Author: Tannhauser—a Mystery; The Tempting of the King; The Glory of the Garden; The Pools at Milburn; Old Songs to New Tunes; Studies in Verse—all verse; Homeric Memory Rhymes, and other papers on language; introductions to each play in Shakespeare's Complete Dramatic Works. Editor: An American Commoner, The Handbook of Oratory; was managing editor (original American and British editions) World's Best Essays (10 vols.), World's Best Orations (10 vols.). Also wrote Tales of a Schoolmaster, etc., serials, pamphlets, etc. Member Tennessee Society. Office: Temple Bldg. Residence: Kirkwood, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BYRD, Abraham Ruddell, Jr., secretary Alsop Process Co.; born, Jackson, Mo., Nov. 29, 1883; son of A. R. and Sallie (Hunter) Byrd; educated Carlisle Training School, Jackson, Mo.; University of Texas, B.S., 1903. After graduation engaged in ranching and mining in New Mexico and at El Paso, Tex., until 1904; with Alsop Process Co., mill machinery, since 1904, secretary since 1905; also member A. R. Byrd & Sons, investments. Member Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Office: 420 Olive St. Residence: 5598 Waterman Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BYRD, J. Hunter, president American Forest Co.; born, Cape Girardeau Co., Mo., May 8, 1880; son of Abram Ruddell and Sarah Minerva (Hunter) Byrd; educated in University of Virginia and later became a student in University of Texas; married, Jackson, Mo., Nov. 30, 1904, Emma Evangeline Howard. Left college at twenty-one and spent several years prospecting and mining in New Mexico, Mexico and on the border of Central America; flour salesman, 1904, and in 1905 became connected with the Alsop Process Co., dealers in electrical equipment for flour mills, St. Louis, of which is treasurer; an organizer, 1906, and was director and cashier Central National Bank, St. Louis; president American Forest Co.; member firm of A. R. Byrd & Sons, investments. Democrat. Methodist. Clubs: Mercantile, University. Office: 420 Olive St. Residence: 4211 Westminster Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BYRNE, Frank Thomas, railway agent; born, Albany, N. Y., May 3, 1859; son of Michael and Bridget (Price) Byrne; educated at Albany, N. Y., public schools; married, Albany, Apr. 18, 1893, Elizabeth Wilson; children: Margaret, J. Wilson. Began active career in fancy grocery business at Albany; came to St. Louis, 1882, and became connected with local freight department of the Chicago & Alton R. R.; then consecutively with the St. Louis Freight Committee as clerk for four years, agent for National Dispatch Fast Freight Line, and commercial agent for Grand Trunk Ry. until 1905, when became Southwestern agent for the Cincinnati, Hamilton is Dayton and Pere Marquette System; Southwestern agent of Pere Marquette System since Apr. 1, 1911. Was agent for Erie Dispatch from Nov. 11 to Dec. 31, 1905. Member Merchants' Exchange. Democrat. Catholic. Member National Union. Club: The Traffic (St. Louis). Recreation: baseball. Office: 817-818 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 5575 Maple Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


BYRNES, James Williamson, belting manufacturer; born, Memphis, Tenn., Apr. 4, 1868; son of M. J. and Irene (Williamson) Byrnes; educated in private school, Memphis, preparatory and collegiate departments of St. Louis University, A.B., 1886; graduated from Eastman Business College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y., 1899; married, St. Louis, Oct. 10, 1903, Genevieve von Phul. Began business career as clerk in hardware business of Caruth & Byrnes Hardware Co. for two years; then was connected with Meacham Arms Co. for three years, and subsequently five years with the Revere Rubber Co., two years as manager of its St. Louis house. Organized, 1896, and was president and treasurer of the James W. Byrnes Belting and Hose Co., manufacturers of leather belting and jobbers of hose and packings; in 1909 name of firm was changed to Byrnes Belting Co., of which is president and treasurer. Also president and treasurer the St. Louis Fire Hose Co., dealers in fire hose and fire department supplies. Democrat. Catholic. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, Bellerive Country, Racquet. Recreations: shooting and fishing. Office: 2109-11-13 Locust St. Residence: 3800 W. Pine St.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.