Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" C "

Dr. Isaac H. & Ella C. (Brown) CadwalladerCadwallader, Dr. Isaac H.
(Photo: Dr. Isaac H. & Ella C. (Brown) Cadwallader)
Time gives the perspective that places each individual and each event in its proper relation to the history of the world. The memory of some men passes into oblivion while that of others becomes brighter as the years go by owing to their valuable contribution to the world's work. Such is the record of Dr. Isaac H. Cadwallader who for many years was in charge of the Missouri Baptist Sanitarium of St. Louis and who was a specialist on gynecology and displayed expert knowledge and skill in the field of professional duty. The story of his life contains much that is of exceptional value and sets an example that may well be followed by younger representatives of the profession.
Dr. Isaac H. Cadwallader was born in Warren county, August 29, I860, and was the son of Dr. John T. and Rachel (Farquhar) Cadwallader who moved with their family to Illinois. The son Isaac, therefore, became a pupil in the public schools of Lincoln, Illinois, and later continued his education in the Lincoln University from which he was graduated in 1868. In the choice of his profession he followed a course pursued by several of his ancestors including his father, and was, as it were, to the manner born. At an early age he became interested in the practice of medicine in which some of the representatives of his family had won fame and prominence and he determined to enter the medical profession with the hope of himself making valuable contribution to the world's work through that avenue. A contemporary writer has said of him, "From his early years all his aspirations were in that direction, a predisposition he may be said to have Inherited from his father; while from his mother—a woman of rare force of character, yet withal gentle, unassuming, self-sacrificing, ever seeking the welfare of others rather than her own—he received as a precious heritage those ideals which have characterised and dominated his life and which should be the peculiar endowment of all who aspire to that noblest of professions, whose guerdon is humanity and whose watchwords are loyalty, service and sacrifice.”
Dr. Cadwallader pursued a course in pharmacy as well as a thorough course in the Rush Medical College, Chicago, in preparation for his professional duties and won his M.D. degree upon graduation with the class of 1875. In the same year, he opened an office in St. Louis and won success and prominence in the general practice of medicine, his business assuming large proportions as the years passed by. To his scientific knowledge and training he added broad human sympathy which contributed much to the understanding of his patients and his consequent success. In 1891 he was made a member of the medical staff of the Missouri Baptist Sanitarium and his valuable hospital work lead to his appointment in 1900 as physician in charge of that institution. He became the director of one of the large and fine hospitals of St. Louis. The brick buildings are commodious and stand in the midst of a three acre tract of land made beautiful with fine shade trees and flowers. Dr. Cadwallader surrounded himself with an able staff of physicians and surgeons and more than that he had the assistance and wise council of his wife, who was made superintendent of the institution. In fact Dr. Cadwallader always attributed much of the success of the sanitarium to Mrs. Cadwallader, whose kindly nature, whose tact and sagacity were continuously manifest in her work. The activities of the hospital were thoroughly systematized and a New York health report called attention to the Missouri Baptist Sanitarium an "an institution second to none of its kind in the country, where high quality in such institutions is readily conceded by the medical profession of the entire civilized world. From whatsoever viewpoint we consider it, the establishment in question is entitled to foremost rank, and a consideration of its essential features will demonstrate good reason for singling it out from among similar establishments in St. Louis.
"Primarily, the selection of a location for this institution indicates noteworthy Judgment, for while wisely situated sufficiently near leading car lines to be readily accessible, it is located far enough away from the hurly-burly of downtown to escape the dust, noise and confusion accompanying the daily traffic and business turmoil naturally incident to a large city. Moreover, its environment is of healthful character, and this fact, in connection with most excellent advantages of drainage and readability to ventilation, gives the Missouri Baptist Sanitarium decided sanitary features not often found.
"In point of equipment this sanitarium deserves unqualified praise, for few of the magnificently endowed hospitals found in the eastern states are as thoroughly prepared in this respect, and we know of none in our own city of New York that has more promptly availed itself of modern hospital equipment or demonstrates greater zeal in securing for its use the auxiliaries for treatment offered in the steady progress of advanced surgical knowledge and evolution in the field of medicine. Every authentic appliance recognized by the leaders of the mastermarch of curative science is made use of; every commendable feature is utilized, and keeping, as it does, in close touch with the advancement of the science of medicine, nothing for the benefit or the convenience of its clientele is overlooked; and herein is found one of the salient reasons for the popularity of the Missouri Baptist Sanitarium both with the laity and with the recognized leaders in the medical profession throughout the state and even adjacent states.
"Dr. Pancoast once declared that the physician offered one-third and the nurse offered two-thirds toward the recovery of the patient, and conceding the truth of this statement, there is but small cause for wonder at the remarkable successful record of this sanitarium, the nursing afforded is such as to exact praise from every physician familiar with the routine work of the corps of trained and intelligent nurses connected with this institution. With neither space nor inclination for persona) eulogium, we cannot but mention the recognized skill and high personal worth of the physician in charge and the earnest, conscientious efforts of the superintendent that have aided so materially in placing this establishment in the high position this institution occupies. These are some of the essential features that help make, it a leader among its kind and entitle it to the unreserved editorial endorsement of the New York Health Reports."
In his profession, Dr. Cadwallader long specialized on gynecology and obstetrics and became a recognized authority on that branch of professional service. He carried his researches far and wide and learned many scientific principles which he generously shared with his professional brethren. He belonged to the St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri State Medical and American Medical Associations, and through their proceedings kept in touch with the advanced thought of the profession.
It was in 1896 that Dr. Cadwallader was united in marriage in St. Louis to Miss Ella C. Brown, a sister of George Warren Brown, chairman of the board of the Brown Shoe Company, and of the late A. D. Brown of the Hamilton and Brown Shoe Company, a most noted philanthropist, both brothers being pioneer shoe manufacturers of St. Louis, their efforts being a most potent force in making this one of the great shoe manufacturing centers of the country. Dr. Cadwallader was appointed head of the Missouri Baptist Sanitarium and Mrs. Cadwallader was made superintendent, and throughout her connection with the institution manifested marked executive ability and administrative force. She studied every phase of the hospital life and her ideas were at once practical and progressive. Dr. Cadwallader was continually giving her credit for the successful development of the Institution. However, their aims and interests were one and their labors were most harmoniously carried on to the benefit of the sanitarium which they represented. Both Dr. and Mrs. Cadwallader had membership in the Third Baptist Church and the doctor attained the thirty-second degree in the Scottish Rite Masonry. He belonged also to the Missouri Athletic Club, the Amateur Athletic Association and the Ohio Society. His associates in professional and in private life ever spoke of him in terms of the warmest regard. His philanthropy ever constituted an even balance to his scientific knowledge and professional skill. He passed away July 22, 1919, but it wi^l be long ere his influence ceases to be a factor for good in his profession and in the lives of those with whom he came in contact.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

CADWALLADER, Isaac Henry, physician; born, Waynesville, Warren Co., O., Aug. 29, 1850; son of John T. and Rachel (Farquhar) Cadwallader; educated in public schools, Lincoln, ILL., and Lincoln University, finishing course 1868; graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, M.D., 1875; married, St. Louis, 1896, Ella C. Brown. Began practice of medicine in St. Louis in 1875, and continued in general practice until 1900; in 1891 became a member of the medical staff of the Missouri Baptist Sanitarium, and in 1900 was appointed to present position as physician in charge of that institution. Specialist in gynecological surgery and practice. Member St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri State Medical Association, American Medical Association. Vice president the Central Slate Quarrying Co. of Missouri. President Eureka Auto Parts Manufacturing Co. Mason. Member Third Baptist Church. Office and Residence: Missouri Baptist Sanitarium, 919 N. Taylor Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


Patrick H. Carville
Patrick H. Carville, for forty-four years a resident of the city of Galveston, was born in county Down, Ireland, March 19, 1827, being a son of Daniel and Margaret
Carville, both also natives of Ireland. The father came to America in 1828, followed two years later by his family, and settled in Perry county, Ohio, where he spent
the most of the remaining years of his life. He was a farmer by occupation, a man of small means, but of industrious habits and upright life. He died at Martinsville,
Morgan county, Indiana, in 1853, at the age of fifty.  His widow survived many years, dying at the home of her son in Galveston, in 1890, at the advanced age of
ninety-seven. The subject of this sketch was one of four children of his parents, the others being: John, who was a resident of Galveston a number of years, dying
at New Orleans in 1859, leaving no descendants; James, who lived and died in Galveston, also without issue; and Margaret, now Mrs. James Brougham, living at
Rockport, this State.
Patrick H. Carville was reared and educated in Perry county, Ohio, and learned the trade of a cooper in Chillicothe, in that State. After working at his trade in Peoria,
Illinois; St. Louis, Missouri, and New Orleans, Louisiana, he came to Texas aboard the steamer Mexico, landing at Galveston November 4, 1850. He secured employment
, shortly after reaching this place, with John Tronson, who ran a small cooper shop on the corner of Mechanic and Twentieth streets. From the employ of Tronson he
went to Brazoria county the following spring, where he worked for two seasons on the Darlington plantation, making molaases barrels. Returning to Galveston, he
started in business for himself, opening a little shop on Twentieth street, between avenues A and B. After two years spent there, and a year on the corner of Strand
and Bath avenue, his business assumed such proportions that he felt justified in enlarging his plant   and extending his lines of operation, and accordingly leased
a lot on the south side of Mechanic street,  between Twenty-fourth and Twenty-fifth, where he carried on his business successfully until he was burned out in 18S3.
He then bought a lot on Mechanic, between Twenty-seventh and Twenty-eighth, where he put in another shop, and has since conducted his business. Mr. Carville
has thus been constantly in business in this city for forty years, during which time he has made thousands of cisterns and barrels, adding his due proportion to the
manufactured products of the city, and incidentally thereto amassing some wealth for himself. His investments, made from time to time as his means have
accumulated, have steadily grown in value, and he is now one of the comparatively large taxpayers of the city. His policy has been to improve his holdings, and
thus derive from them some revenue, and at the same time add to the wealth of the community. During the war Mr. Carville enlisted in the Confederate army, and
was placed on detail duty, so serving till the close of hostilities. He joined Washington Fire Company, No. I, in 1851, and was a member of it till Island City Company
No. 2 was organized, March 7, 1856, when he joined the latter, and was an active member of the same until the opening of the war. He was a member of the City  
Council in 1866-7-8, and in 1873-4-5-6. In 1854 he joined the Odd Fellows and Chosen Friends in this city, and was an active member of each a number of years.
In July, 1859, Mr. Carville married Miss Johanna Dwyer, then of Galveston, but a native of Ireland, where she was born in 1835, and came to Galveston in 1855,
and the issue of this union was eight children, but three of whom became grown, namely: Margaret, who was married to F. P. Killeen, of   Galveston, and is now
deceased; Lillian, now Mrs. William E. Doyle, of Galveston; and Nellie,   unmarried.
With all the heterogeneous elements that enter into the constituency of our national life there is no foreign land that has perhaps contributed more effectively to
the vitalizing and vivifying of our magnificent commonwealth, with its diverse interests and cosmopolitan make-up, than has the Emerald Isle, the land of legend
and romance, the land of native wit and honest simplicity of heart, the land of sturdy integrity and resolute good nature. To Ireland we owe the inception of many
of our most capable, most honest  and most patriotic families in these latter days; and there has been no nationality that has  been more readily assimilated into
the very fabric of complex elements that go to make up the nation, no class of people that has been more in touch with the spirit of progress that is typical of our
national life. The subject of this brief sketch is an exemplification, in a large measure, of the foregoing statement, and certainly in the somewhat long list of honored
pioneers of this island which appears in the present volume, none have achieved more substantial financial results with so little aid, or reached a more secure place
in public esteem than has the one of whom we here write. 
[History of Texas, together with a biographical history of the cities of Houston and Galveston, etc.,  Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1895. Transcribed by Genealogy Trails staff]


Charles Teatman Carr, who since 1893 has been engaged in the insurance business in St. Louis, was born September 18, 1872, at Glencoe, Missouri, his parents being Alfred and Angelica (Yeatman) Carr. In the acquirement of his education he attended Smith Academy of St. Louis and also the Eastman Business College of Poughkeepsie, New York. He started out in the business world in connection with insurance interests in 1893 when a young man of twenty-one years, and in the following year became identified with the firm of Carr Brothers. In this connection he has so directed his efforts and energies that notable success has been achieved. He is familiar with all phases of the insurance business and has won a large clientage, while at the same time he has extended his efforts into other fields, becoming the secretary of the General Equipment company, the secretary of the Manufacturers Equipment company, a director of the United Elevator & Grain company and a member of the Merchants Exchange.
In St. Louis, in March, 1899, Mr. Carr was married to Miss Virginia Scudder, a daughter of Charles Scudder. Their religious belief is that of the Episcopal church and Mr. Carr is identified with the democratic party, to which he has given his political support since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. During the time when America was at war with Germany he served as a member of the executive bureau of the aircraft Service in the eastern division at New York. He belongs to the St. Louis and Noonday Clubs and is identified with various hunting and fishing clubs, associations which indicate the nature of his recreation and diversion, for to those pursuits he turns when business admits of a leisure hour.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Dr. Eustathius Chancellor is a widely known representative of the medical profession who since 1880, or tor a period of forty years, has practiced in St Louis. His professional and scientific attainments and his genial nature have called him to leadership in various connections and there are few men outside of public life who have a wider acquaintance or more friends than has Dr. Chancellor. While he comes from English ancestry the family has long been represented on this side of the Atlantic and his birth occurred August 29, 1854, in Chancellorsville, Spotsylvania county, Virginia, his parents being Dr. J. Edgar and D. Josephine Chancellor who were representatives of a number of the oldest and most distinguished families of Virginia. He began his education in private schools of his native county and afterward pursued his studies at Charlottesville, Virginia, continuing his classical education until 1870. He then initiated his business career when in October of that year he visited Columbus Georgia, and accepted a position as assistant cashier and bookkeeper in a railway office. His health forced him to resign his position, however, a year later. He was not content with the educational opportunities which he had already enjoyed and in October, 1871, he returned to the University of Virginia where he entered upon a, course in civil engineering as a member of the Junior class and at the close of the session received certificates of proficiency in several departments. He remained a student in the State University through the succeeding two years, devoting his attention to classical courses and higher mathematics and then entered upon the study of medicine in the fall of 1874. After two years of thorough work he graduated with honors on the 29th of June, 1876, and his professional degree was conferred upon him by the medical department of the University of Virginia. He further promoted his knowledge of the science of medicine by attending the clinics of the University of Pennsylvania for several weeks, at the end of which time he entered upon educational work in the line of his chosen profession, being appointed prosector in the chair of anatomy in the School of Medicine of the University of Maryland and also was made clinical assistant in the hospital. He likewise continued his studies in the Maryland University and a second diploma was conferred upon him in 1877 with a certificate of proficiency from the University Hospital. A further recognition of the excellent work which he had done came in his appointment as assistant resident physician at the University Hospital in the spring of 1878. He served in that capacity for a year and during much of the time acted as chief physician but resigned in March, 1879. He then returned to the University of Virginia and about the same time entered into partnership with his father, Dr. J. Edgar Chancellor, for the practice of medicine and surgery and became a member of the Medical Society of Virginia. Throughout his professional career he has been a well known contributor to leading medical Journals of the country, beginning his writing soon after leaving college.
Attracted by the opportunities of the growing west Dr. Chancellor came to St Louis July 9, 1880, and was not long in becoming firmly established in an extensive and lucrative practice. He has always been a close student of his profession, examining with thoroughness every theory and idea that has to do with the laws of health and the abolishment of disease. He has ever kept in touch with the latest scientific researches and discoveries and his opinions are based upon long experience, keen sagacity and an almost innate perception as to the value of a course to be pursued.
Dr. Chancellor's service as medical examiner for many fraternal, insurance and other organizations has brought him a most extensive acquaintance and his genial qualities have gained for him the friendship of nearly all with whom he has come in contact. He has served as medical examiner for twenty of the leading fraternal organizations of St. Louis and through this avenue he became an active representative of Masonry, taking the degrees of the lodge, the commandery, the Scottish Rite and the Mystic Shrine. He also belongs to Elks Lodge, No. 9, and he became one of the active members of the Knights of Pythias and in 1886 was elected supreme medical director of the Legion of Honor, filling the position most efficiently and satisfactorily for three years or until he declined a reelection in 1889. Subsequently he was appointed supervising medical examiner of the Royal Arcanum of Missouri. It has been said of him: "No man has done more than he to advance the high standard of life insurance examination and characterize this field as a distinct specialty. He has the good fortune to be medical examiner of many of the best life and accident insurance companies in the land and represents several traveling men's mutual accident and health associations."
In the educational field Dr. Chancellor has won distinction. In 1885 he became one of the founders of the Beaumont Hospital Medical College and filled the chair of cutaneous and venereal diseases for five years, when he resigned on account of his growing private practice. Throughout his professional career he has continued to write largely for the leading medical Journals and is regarded as a clear, forceful and impressive lecturer. His utterances in the Kansas City, Missouri State and American Medical Associations are always listened to with eagerness, the profession recognizing that his opinions are well worth while. He had been a resident of St. Louis for but four years when in 1884 the St. Louis University conferred upon him the honorary Master of Arts degree. Among his many valuable contributions to medical literature are the following: Researches Upon the Treatment of Delirium Tremens, 1881; Successful Operations for the Deformity of Burnt Wrist, 1881; Treatment of Diabetes Insipidus, 1883; Gonorrheal Articular Rheumatism, 1883; Syphilis in Men, 1884; Causes of Social Depravity and a Remedy, 1885; Woman in her Social Sphere, 1885; Marriage Philosophy, 1886.
There is a most interesting military chapter in the life record of Dr. Chancellor, who in 1883 became a private of Company H, First Regiment of the Missouri National Guard. In 1886 he was advanced to the rant of captain of the medical department of the First Regiment and in 1891 was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel as medical director of the First Brigade of the Missouri National Guard. In the same year he was one of the organizers and co workers with Colonel Nicholas Senn and became a charter member of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States. He was chosen secretary and editor of the organization and continued to serve in the dual capacity until 1898. It was through his efforts that the first annual meeting of the Association of Military Surgeons was held in St Louis in 1892 and on that occasion he was chairman of the entertainment committee. A recognition of the value of his contribution to the work of the National Guard is indicated in the fact that in 1893 he was made an honorary member of the Illinois organization. In 1895 he became a member of the Medico-Legal Society of New York. For an extended period Dr. Chancellor has been a member of the St. Louis Medical Society and in the decade of the '80s served for several years as corresponding secretary thereof. It was also in that decade that he was chosen representative from the St. Louis Medical Society to the International Medical Congress, held in Washington, D. C. In November, 1896, be was made the delegate from the St. Louis Medical Society to the Pan American Medical Congress which met in the city of Mexico, being the only delegate from this part of the United States and not only was he accorded the honors due his position as a delegate to the convention but was also entertained by President Diaz when in that republic. In 1896 he spent almost a year visiting leading clinics in Europe and in that year was official delegate to the British Medical Association at London from the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States. In 1902 he was elected vice president of the American Congress of Tuberculosis and in 1903 was made a member of the American Electro-Therapeutic Association. In 1904 he served as chairman of the finance committee for the fourteenth annual meeting of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States, held at St. Louis during the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. On the 9th of November, 1918, he received a commission in the United States Volunteer Medical Service Corps, No. 9895. It would be almost impossible to say which branch of his professional service has brought to him greatest prominence. Of him it has been written: "Personally he is one of the most genial of men, possessed of a vast amount of personal magnetism, and as a gentleman, civilian-soldier and a physician, his word is as good of his bond.”
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

CHANCELLOR, Eustathius, physician and surgeon; born, Chancellorsville, Spottsylvania Co., Va., Aug. 29, 1854; son of Dr. James Edgar and Josephine D. (Anderson) Chancellor; educated in private schools, Locust Dale Academy, Rapidan, Va., 1870-72; graduated from University of Virginia, 1874, M.D., 1876; University of Maryland, M.D., 1877; St. Louis University, A.M., 1885; unmarried. Prosector to chair of anatomy, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 1878; clinical assistant University Hospital, Baltimore, 1878; practiced with father, Charlottesville, Va., 1879-80; located in St. Louis, 1880; practice limited to skin and genito-urinary diseases. Professor of cutaneous and venereal diseases, Beaumont Hospital Medical College, 1885-90; lieutenant-colonel and medical director National Guard of Missouri, 1891-97; delegate Pan-American Congress. Washington, 1893. and City of Mexico, 1896. Member American Medical Association, Association of Military Surgeons of the United States, American Congress of Tuberculosis, Virginia Society of St. Louis, Psychic Research 8ociety (New York), Medico-Legal Society of New York, 1895; honorary member Military Surgeons of Illinois National Guard, 1893. Democrat. Methodist. Mason, Knight Templar, Shriner; member Knights of Pythias, Elks. Contributor to medical journals. Office: Oriel Bldg., 316 N. 6th St. Residence: American Hotel.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


Augustus
                  L. ChetlainChetlain, Augustus L., brigadier-general, was born in St. Louis, Mo., Dec. 26, 1824. His parents moving to Galena, Ill., he obtained a common school education there, and, at a meeting called in response to President Lincoln’s appeal for troops, was the first man to enlist. He was elected captain of a company which afterwards became part of the 12th Ill. Regiment, of which he was commissioned, April 26, 1862, at Smithland, Ky., then joined his regiment and led it in the Tennessee campaign. He participated in the capture of Forts Henry and Donelson, was promoted colonel, and led his regiment at Shiloh and at the siege of Corinth. After the battle of Corinth, in which he distinguished himself, he was left by Gen. Rosecrans in command of the city, and while in this service recruited the first colored regiment enlisted in the west. He was relieved in May, 1863, was promoted to brigadier-general in December of that year and placed in charge of the organization of colored troops in Tennessee and afterwards Kentucky. He was successful in raising a force of 17,000 men, receiving for this work special commendation from Gen. Thomas. He was in command of the post of Memphis from Jan. to Oct., 1865, was then given command of the district of Talladega, Ala., and on Feb. 5, 1866, was mustered out of the service. He was brevetted major-general of volunteers, June 17, 1865. After the war Gen. Chetlain served as collector of internal revenue for Utah and Wyoming, and as U.S. consul-general to Brussels, and then became a banker in Chicago. In 1891 he organized and became president of the Industrial bank of Chicago.
(Source: The Union Army, Vol. VIII. Page 68. Published 1908.)


Chouteau, Auguste, one of the founders of St. Louis and for many years its most distinguished citizen, was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, August 14, 1750, son of Rene and Marie Therese (Bourgeois) Chouteau. It sounds strange to hear that one of the founders of the great city of St. Louis was a boy less than fourteen years of age; nevertheless it is true that Auguste Chouteau was only a boy thirteen years and six months old, when he was sent by Laclede to mark out the spot, fell the trees, erect cabins, and make the first beginning of their tradingpost near what is now the foot of Walnut Street. It gives us some idea of his character to know that he was entrusted with the task by his stepfather. It was an age when the French were the most enterprising and intrepid of adventurers and explorers, and Auguste Chouteau seems to have possessed these qualities in a hardly less degree than Laclede himself.
When he landed with his party of thirty persons on the shelving shore of the Mississippi and pitched his camp in the solitude, the party were alone in a region they knew nothing about and entirely at the mercy of whatever band of Indians might attack them. West of them was a vast wilderness, and east of them was a deep, wide and rapid river, which they knew flowed past New Orleans to the Gulf, but of whose extent north of them they were ignorant. In an attack from Indians, they might hope to escape by taking to their boats and fleeing to Fort Chartres, or Ste. Genevieve, the little settlements below; but this would be an abandonment of the fur-trading enterprise that had brought them from the charming society of New Orleans to seek their fortunes in this rude and remote region—and such an ending was not to be thought of so long as it was possible to hope for something better.
The party recognized their boy leader, and he proved worthy of the trust confided in him. Under his direction, ground was selected for the camp in the locality indicated in a general way by Laclede, and when Laclede, who had remained below at Fort Chartres, came up, his step-son had fairly begun the work of starting the "settlement." Young Chouteau had no dreams of founding a state—nor did Laclede. No hint of the populous and mighty empire west of the Mississippi, which we see in the year 1898, crossed their minds; no hint, even, of what Auguste, lived to see occurred to him, for the change that took place in his lifetime was too great to be conjectured. Laclede died twelve years before the close of the eighteenth century, and while his settlement was still part of the Spanish domain, living only long enough to see his post successfully established and beginning to secure the fur trade which was the object of it.
But Auguste Chouteau survived nearly to the second generation of the nineteenth century, living during the Spanish and French regimes, and for a full quarter of a century under a regime of which probably he did not dream at the beginning, but which his descendants fondly between will last to the end of time. It is to be presumed that Laclede was recognized as the official proprietor of the settlement while he lived; but there is no person connected with this interesting enterprise of whom we know less. We have little else than his name—Ligueste de Laclede— and even that is a puzzle, for he sometimes wrote it Laclede and sometimes Ligueste. The probabilities seem to favor the latter as the name which he preferred; but the former looks better to our American eyes and comes easier to our American lips, and Laclede it will continue to be to the end. During the twenty-four years from the founding of the post, in 1764, to the death of Laclede, in 1788, he was frequently absent, visiting New Orleans and the lower river settlements, and maintaining his connection with and making reports to the firm of Maxent, Laclede & Co., which had sent him out—and in his absence, the supervision of the business of the post of St. Louis devolved upon his step-son, Auguste. He was fitted for the responsibility, even while still a boy, for all the authentic accounts of him that we possess represent him as grave and reflective, self-possessed, abstemious in his habits, moderate in his opinions, and with but a small share of the vivacity of the French people. It may be that his natural temperament and habits were modified by the fact that he was much looked up to, and that matters were constantly coming up in the settlement that demanded his counsel, decision and action. Certain it is that before Laclede died, in 1788, Auguste Chouteau had become the first person in the settlement— and this character he maintained, not by any efforts or through any desire to maintain it, but by virtue of his wisdom, kindness, and the royal hospitality which his wealth enabled him to dispense.
At first the entire trading operations were conducted by Laclede and Chouteau on account of the New Orleans firm that had sent them out, and after the death of the former, Chouteau—now thirty-eight years of age—not only managed the business on his own account in St. Louis, but made occasional visits to the Osage Indian villages in central and western Missouri, rode on horseback over the mountains to New York and Philadelphia to arrange for shipments of robes and furs to England and France by way of New Orleans and to confer with his partner, John Jacob Astor. The journey to the Eastern cities, as then made, required some forty days. He also made visits to New Orleans, to wind up his relations with the old firm of Maxent, Laclede & Co., and afterward to sell his packs of furs, which were sent down the river in his own boats, the boats returning laden with merchandise for the St. Louis trade. The trade had proven profitable from the beginning, and this was due, in great measure, to Chouteau. He was singularly fortunate in his dealings with the Indians, for while some of the traders, whom his success had attracted to the business, had their expeditions attacked and their men killed by the savages, Chouteau's expeditions were exempt from this trouble.
At the beginning, his just and humane spirit concurred with his judgment in a general policy of treating the Indians. That policy was fairness, friendliness and confidence, and it saved him from attacks, disasters and losses and made his trading experiences peaceful and successful. He was the wealthiest person in the post, in the village, in the town, and in the city of St. Louis while he lived—the largest landholder and the largest trader, living in the largest mansion, and the recognized head of the largest and most influential family. Under the Spanish and French domination, he was simply Monsieur or Mr. Chouteau—the leading Frenchman in a community almost entirely French, and in which nothing but French was spoken; but when the transfer in 1803 made him an American citizen and families began to come in from Kentucky, Virginia and other States, it was not long before his popular manners and his high position marked him for promotion. The Americans —with whom, from the beginning, he was and continued to be, on as happy terms as he had been and always continued to be, .with the French—could not allow him to go unhonored, and so, in 1808, he was appointed a colonel of militia and bore the title of colonel during the remainder of his lifetime. Colonel Chouteau, seems never to have had political aspirations; if he had had such aspirations, with his wealth, kindness and affable manners, he might easily have risen to any coveted position in the Territory or State of Missouri. But he was, nevertheless, a man of affairs and everything was thrust upon him. The government at Washington made him Revolutionary Pension Agent and Commissioner to treat with the Osage Indians. Under the treaty concluded at Ghent, December 24, 1814, between Great Britain and the United States, it was stipulated that the United States should put an end to the warfare with the hostile Indians; and to execute the article above alluded to in good faith, the President appointed Colonel Chouteau one of the commissioners, with full power to conclude a treaty of peace and annuity with such tribes.
Owing to his great influence the hostiles came to Portage des Sioux and signed the treaty. The government held him in such high esteem that it entrusted him with immense sums of money, without even a scratch of a pen in the shape of a bond, and when any trouble arose with the Indians of this region he was chosen as arbiter. A copy of the treaty made by Colonel Chouteau and his associates with the Sac tribe of Indians is in possession of his grandson, J. Oilman Chouteau, and is an exceedingly interesting document. The signature of the Indians attached to it are very odd and ingenious and are specimens of the most primitive style of Indian chirography. In negotiating this treaty, the argument used by the commissioners was given a poetic turn, which appealed to the aborigines and secured the desired results. Said Colonel Chouteau: "Put in your mind that as soon as the British made peace with us they left you in the middle of a prairie without a shade or cover against the sun and rain. The British left you positively in the middle of a prairie, worthy of pity. But we Americans have a large umbrella which covers us against the sun and rain, and we offer you, as friends, a share of it." This picturesque presentation of the case won the Indians, and it is not improbable that some of the descendants of Colonel Chouteau will see that "umbrella" cover the whole of North America. When St. Louis was invested with the dignity of town government, in 1809. he was made one of the trustees, and when the Territorial Legislature appointed a commission to regulate the public schools, he was one of the commissioners. He was a justice of the peace, a judge of the court of common pleas, and when the Bank of Missouri was organized, in 1817, he was made its first president. In the early days of the town his land extended from what is now Main Street back into the country, and for many years he kindly allowed the part nearest the town to be used as a general burying-ground for those who might not be buried in the Catholic Church cemetery.
In 1825, Lafayette, who was then traveling over the United States, visited St. Louis. It was a great event in the history of the city, for, while the citizens of American lineage delighted to honor him as the friend of Washington and our ally in the Revolution, the French citizens had an additional cause for rejoicing in the fact that he was a Frenchman. Colonel Chouteau was made a member of the committee on arrangements, and was one of the three citizens—Mayor William Carr Lane and Stephen Hempstead being the other two—who rode in the open barouche with Lafayette through the town to the mansion of Pierre Chouteau, where the formal reception took place. At the time of the cession, and for many years afterward, Colonel Auguste Chouteau lived in a spacious mansion on the west side of Main Street, between Market and Walnut, the place occupying the whole square. The house was built of stone, two stories with an attic and dormer window, and with three windows on each side of the main door in front. There was a wide piazza, in front, extending round the ends, giving to the mansion that open and generous air which the free-handed hospitality of the proprietor fully bore out; and it was here that many a distinguished person, traveler, author, and adventurer, was entertained; and here, too the public meetings were held during the times when there was no sufficiently spacious public building that could be used. The only portrait we have of Colonel Chouteau represents a man about forty-five years of age, with oval face, smooth shaved after the fashion of that day, light brown hair, high, intelligent forehead, classic mouth, straight nose, and the general expression of the face quiet and grave.
Auguste Chouteau was married September 21, 1786, at the age of thirty-six years, to Marie Therese Cerre, daughter of Gabriel Cerre, a merchant of Kaskaskia. He died February 24, 1829, in his seventy-ninth year, and was buried in the Catholic Church cemetery on Walnut Street, but his remains were afterward removed to Calvary cemetery, where they rest on the brow of the mornings unlit hill overlooking the great river, on whose bank he founded his last monument, that will be the undying pride of generations yet to come. Upon the simple tablet is the epitaph: "Sa fie a etc un modele de vertus dinks ct sociales"—His life was a model without a stain.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri: a compendium of history; Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Chouteau, Charles P., was born in St. Louis, December 2, 1819, and died there in 1901. He received his earlier education in the school of Mr. Savare, in St. Louis, and at eight years of age was sent to the Jesuit Seminary in the old town of St. Ferdinand, near the city, and six years later was sent to the civil and military school of the Peugnet Brothers, in New York, where he remained four years. All the elder Chouteaus were fur traders, because St. Louis was settled as a trading post, and fur trading of the old style was, for three-quarters of a century and more, the most profitable business with capital that could be followed in the West. Mr. Chouteau's father, Pierre Chouteau, Jr., was perhaps, the most enterprising and successful of them all; and in the early part of his business life, Charles P. had an opportunity of seeing what it was before it lost its ancient character of romance and adventure, and was trained down to modern methods. In 1838 he was taken into his father's establishment, Chouteau & McKenzie, and there received a part of the business training which prepared him for the long, prosperous and honorable career that followed. After four years' service in this connection, he spent a year in New York, and, after that, two years in Europe. He returned to St. Louis in 1845, and in November of that year was married to Miss Julia' Augusta Gratiot, younger of the two daughters of General Charles Gratiot, of the United States Army. He was continuously in business for over sixty years, and in that time he had much to do with the industrial development of St. Louis, particularly the iron interest, in which he was concerned after 1850.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri: a compendium of history; Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Chouteau, Henry, upon whose shoulders fell the mantle of his illustrious father, Colonel Auguste Chouteau, was born February 1805, in St. Louis, and died November 1855. He was the third son of Colonel Chouteau, who was eldest of the Chouteau family in St. Louis, stepson of Laclede, and his chief lieutenant in making the first settlement here. Henry Chouteau was educated at the Catholic College, which at the time stood on Second Street, near Walnut, and which was the first institution of the kind established west of the Mississippi River. In 1827, when he was only twenty-two years of age, he was appointed clerk of the county court and recorder of St. Louis County, positions which he filled continuously until 1842, when he founded the mercantile house of Chouteau & Riley, not long afterward changed to Chouteau & Valle, which continued to be up to the time of his death one of the staunchest and foremost mercantile houses of St. Louis. Mr. Chouteau married, July 10, 1827, Miss Clemence Coursault, of Baltimore. He was in the ill fated excursion on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, wrecked at the Gasconade Bridge, in 1855, and was one of the thirty persons killed in that disaster.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri: a compendium of history; Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Chouteau, Jean Pierre, was born at New Orleans, Louisiana, October 10, 1758, and died in St. Louis, July 10, 1849. He was not of the party that landed at the foot of what is now Walnut Street, and made the first beginning of St. Louis, in February, 1764; he did not come to the settlement until the following September. He was only about six years of age at the time, too young to take any responsible part in the work of founding the trading post. But he grew up with it, for his whole life, with the exception of the visits he made to his own trading posts among the Indians, and to New Orleans, Detroit and Montreal in connection with his business, was passed in St. Louis. He built a fort and established a trading post in what is now southeast Missouri, on the headwaters of the Osage—a district abounding in beaver and occupied by the Osage, Pawnee and Kansas Indians. He prosecuted the fur trade successfully for twenty-five years, withdrawing from it shortly after the transfer of Louisiana Territory to the United States, in 1804, and contenting himself with local business in St. Louis. He was held in high esteem by the American population that began to come in after the transfer. He was chosen a member of the Town Council and appointed United States sub-Indian agent for treating with the tribes whose confidence he had gained in his trading operations. Major Chouteau was twice married; first, to Miss Pelagic Kirsereau, July 26, 1783, who died ten years afterward, leaving four children; and next to Miss Brigitte Saucier, of Cahokia, February 14, 1794, who died May 18, 1829, leaving four children.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri: a compendium of history; Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Chouteau, Joseph Oilman, was born in St. Louis, December 2, 1836, son of Henry and Clemence G. (Coursault) Chouteau. Mr. Chouteau is a grandson of Colonel Auguste Chouteau, who laid out the town of St. Louis under the direction of Pierre Laclede, and who was the chief citizen of the French settlement, which was the foundation of the city during the early years of its existence. Born to a rich inheritance, he was educated at St. Louis University, and after devoting some time to travel and study abroad, he returned to St. Louis and engaged in the general commission business as head of the firm of Chouteau & Edwards. In the course of a few years the firm of which he was the head obtained control of a large Southern trade, which proved exceedingly remunerative. At a later date he interested himself in the manufacture of flour, and for some years was the owner of the largest flouring mill in southern Illinois, located at the town of Waterloo, twenty miles distant from St. Louis. Of this mill, which had a capacity of one thousand barrels per day, and which became famous for the excellence of its products, he was owner for twenty years, disposing of it finally in 1883. Since then he has been interested as an investor in various manufacturing enterprises, and in banking institutions as a director and stockholder. He has also been the administrator of several large estates, and to trusts of this character and his private business interests the larger share of his time and attention has been devoted in later years. A thoroughly educated and accomplished gentleman and the master of several languages, he has enjoyed to the fullest extent his extensive travels, and is a cosmopolitan in his manners and tastes. He devotes a share of his time to outdoor sports, is an expert horseman, and a lover of the rod and gun. With his love of recreative amusements, however, he couples studious habits, and has always been deeply interested in the mechanical arts, having been the originator of several valuable inventions.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri: a compendium of history; Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Chouteau, Marie Therese Bourgeois, wife of the founder of St. Louis, and ancestress of a family which has been most prominently identified with the history of St. Louis from its beginning down to the present time, was born Marie Therese Bourgeois, in New Orleans, Louisiana, in 1733, and died in St. Louis, August 14, 1814. Being left an orphan at an early age, she was placed in the Ursuline Convent, from which she married Auguste Rene Chouteau. This marriage did not prove congenial, and a separation was effected; she afterward married Laclede, with whom she came to St. Louis. She was unquestionably a woman of unusual sagacity and intelligence. During Laclede's lifetime, with Auguste, her eldest son, she controlled and directed his affairs at St. Louis during his frequent absences on trading expeditions, and after his death she continued to be engaged to a considerable extent in the fur trade, made extensive investments in real estate and acquired a great deal of property. That she was a woman of strong character is evidenced by the fact that she left a marked impress on the community in which she lived for fifty years, and in which she died, honored and esteemed, at the age of eighty-one years. Her house was for three years the home of St. Ange de Bellerive, commandant of the post of St. Louis, and it was there that he died, after appointing his friend Laclede his executor.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri: a compendium of history; Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 2011]


Chouteau, Pierre, son of Jean Pierre Chouteau, and grandson of Laclede, was born at St. Louis, January 19, 1789, and died there October 16, 1865. Although not so long-lived as his father, who died in 1849, at the age of ninety-one years, nor his uncle, Auguste Chouteau, who died in 1829, at the age of eighty-one years, nor his cousin, Gabriel Chouteau, who died in 1887, in his ninety-third year, he lived out of one century into the middle of another, and stands as a strong connecting figure between the old era and the new, between the fur-trading post of 1800 and the St. Louis of 1865, with its population of 200,000 and all the agencies and accessories of a modern metropolis. He was known, in his day as the prince of the fur traders. All the Chouteaus’ before him, and his son, Charles P. Chouteau, after him, were fur traders, and successful ones, too, but it was he who organized the business into a methodical and efficient system and extended its operations throughout the length and breadth of the vast unsettled West, increased the forts and stations, and established such confidential relations with the Indians that the United States government was glad to secure his assistance in its distribution of annuities and in other dealings with the tribes. He began his acquaintance with the trade at an early age, being only nineteen years, old when he accompanied his father on a perilous expedition among the savages of the upper Missouri.
After embarking in the business, as successor to his aged father, he stood for more than forty years the central directing figure of commercial enterprises and development in the regions of the upper Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. Mr. Chouteau's earlier partners in the fur trade, Bartholomew Berthold, Bernard Pratte, Sr., and John P. Cabanne, died in 1831, 1837 and 1841, respectively, and John Jacob Astor, of New York, withdrew from the western branch of the American Fur Company about the year 1834, leaving a portion of his funds, however, still under the management of his old friend. In 1842 the company was reorganized, Mr. Chouteau associating with himself John B. Sarpy, Joseph A. Sire and J. F. A. Sandford, and the house was thenceforth known as Pierre Chouteau, Jr., & Co. The headquarters of the old company had been for many years on the levee, in a rambling building constructed from the rock blasted for its cellars, but after the reorganization a larger and more commodious building was erected on Washington Avenue, near Main, and here this notable company busily fulfilled and finally closed its mission. It was for a time a rendezvous for strange characters—a meeting place for persons whom nothing but the fur trade could have brought together— hunters and trappers moving with the silent tread which they had learned in their life of perpetual danger in the far West; deputations of gaudily clad and feathered Indians from the upper Missouri, who were attached to the fortunes of the company and sometimes fond of showing their devotion by too frequent visits to the headquarters; robust, good-natured Canadians, just returned from an expedition, or waiting for the departure of one; gay and brisk French attendants and employees, engaged in unpacking or epacking the bales of furs; visitors from New York, or New Orleans, or Montreal, or from Europe, come to pay their respects to Mr. Chouteau and his partners; with an occasional author, naturalist or traveler, come to ask of the liberal and courteous proprietors the privilege of accompanying the next expedition; and the coming and going loiterers and dependents always found in the retinue of the prosperous St. Louis traders. Mr. Chouteau was fond of active life, with a taste for adventure, and in his younger days would accompany the annual expeditions sent out with goods to be exchanged for furs—for he understood the importance of maintaining the friendship of the tribes among whom his posts were located, and also of keeping up personal relations with the hunters and trappers in the service of the company; and whenever the interests of the fur trade seemed to require a visit to the distant posts he was ready to go.
There were always dangers to be encountered, but Mr. Chouteau possessed a courage which even the hunters and Indian fighters in the service of the company respected; and when it came to hardships, he was always ready to take his share of them with the others. Occasionally, too, he was called to the East and to Europe; but he managed the extensive business of his company from St. Louis, and it was in the office of the company that he was usually to be found, seated at his desk, conducting the important correspondence, examining the accounts, receiving the visitors who came with letters of introduction, engaged in easy conversation with his partners, or passing through the factory examining the packs, with a pleasant word for every one whom he encountered. The books, voluminous correspondence and miscellaneous papers of the famous peltry house, together with those of the original Missouri Fur Company and the American Fur Company which preceded it, were fortunately preserved after his death, and are still in the possession of his grandson and namesake, Pierre Chouteau.
They are said to abound in curious and interesting facts of the pioneer times, their personages, customs and notable incidents; and it is fortunate that they are in the keeping of a gentleman who is a worthy representative of this historic family and who takes the heartiest interest in the early history of St. Louis and the West. Pierre Chouteau, Jr., was a man of noble presence, erect, uncommonly tall, of a countenance habitually grave and thoughtful in repose, but in conversation animated and cheerful. His manners were easy and affable. He had to do with the accomplished society of Eastern and European cities, with the army officers, authors, explorers and adventurers with whom St. Louis was a starting point and returning point; and with Indian chiefs, trappers and Indian fighters—and he was equally at home with all—the liberal patron, the upright merchant, and the accomplished man of the world. He was married to Emilie Gratiot, June 15, 1815, and had five children: Emilie, who married John F. Sandford; Julie, who married William Maffitt; Charles P. Chouteau, still living in 1898; and Pierre Charles and Benjamin Wilson Chouteau, who died in infancy.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri: a compendium of history; Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Chouteau, Pierre, was born at St. Louis, July 30, 1849, son of Charles P. and Julia Augusta (Gratiot) Chouteau. After receiving a thorough education in St. Louis his tastes and talents inclined strongly to the mechanical arts, and with the object of developing and disciplining them and turning them to active usefulness for the benefit of others he went to Europe and took the course in the Royal School of Arts, Mines and Manufactures, at Liege, Belgium. When he returned, in 1874, he contemplated engaging in civil engineering, for which he was well prepared, but his father needed his assistance in the management of his business properties, and he has never found the opportunity to devote himself exclusively to the vocation in which he delighted, and in which he would certainly have risen to eminence. As the father advanced in years his business devolved chiefly upon the son, with the result of making Mr. Chouteau a very busy man of affairs. Nevertheless, he has found time to give some attention to the mechanical arts and to exhibit his mechanical genius in the invention of appliances and devices, whose merit is recognized and demonstrated in their general adoption. Mr. Chouteau's tastes and inclinations are not exclusively mechanical. They incline to literature and art, and lead him into other quiet fields, where he finds recreation after the exacting duties of his business.
He is an accomplished writer and accurate critic, and there are few whose opinion of a work of art, whether it be edifice, painting, statue or literary composition, is as valuable as his. He has a fond affection for old things, old names and old places in and around the city founded by his ancestors, and where they have lived for nearly a hundred and forty years, and he could, with the pictures of old houses and objects in his possession, almost reproduce the appearance of St. Louis as it was three-quarters of a century ago. He is an active member of the Missouri Historical Society, and has done more, probably, than any one else to collect and preserve ancient documents, papers and books illustrating the early conditions and history of that city. He is a man of fortune, as his father and grandfather and great-grandfather were before him—for the Chouteaus’ are farseeing, prudent men of business, who have usually commanded success, whether in trading, manufacturing or investing—and his purse is always ready to respond liberally to a cause that appeals to his sympathy for the distressed, or to any enterprise in behalf of the welfare of the city of which he has such good reason to be proud. November 27. 1882, Mr. Chouteau married Miss Lucille M. Chauvin, who comes, like himself, of one of the old French families of St. Louis.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri: a compendium of history; Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Clayton, Ralph, one of the most honored citizens of St. Louis County, and the man after whom its county seat was named, was born February 22, 1788, in Bath County, Virginia, and died at his home, in the town of Clayton, July 22, 1883. When he was a small child his parents removed to Augusta County, Virginia, and there he grew up and received a good practical education. His father, whose name was John Clayton, and his mother whose maiden name was Margaret Rice, were both natives of England. From the land in which they were born and reared they came to Virginia, and for many years they lived on a large estate, which has been handed down from father to son through several generations, and which is still in the possession of their descendants. Ralph Clayton came to Missouri in 1820, at the time when the new Commonwealth was preparing to assume the duties and responsibilities of statehood. He settled on a farm which was nine miles west of what was then the little city of St. Louis, and for more than threescore years thereafter he was a prosperous agriculturist and one of the leading citizens of St. Louis County. On this farm he lived for sixty-two years, and in the later years of his life he saw a thrifty and prosperous village grow up on the lands which he had cleared and cultivated. When St. Louis County was separated from the city and it became necessary to establish a new county seat, he donated to the county a site for its capital, and, in honor of him, the town was named Clayton.
Near his home he built a Methodist Church, in which he and his family worshiped for many years. In this good work he was generously aided by his neighbors and friends, and those who applied to him for favors in turn were never disappointed in his contributions, no matter what religious denomination benefited by his gift. A most hospitable and generous man, he was the friend of all who came to him for aid, and no unfortunate was ever turned away from his door unblessed by his benefactions. Frequently urged by his friends to accept office, he as frequently declined the honors, preferring the quietude of his home and his farm life to public position. Only once did he vary from this rule, and that was when he consented to serve a term as justice of the peace. After a long, useful, happy and contented life, he died when in his ninety-sixth year.
One of his distinguishing characteristics was his temperance in everything and total abstinence from the use of intoxicating drinks, and doubtless this had much to do with the prolongation of his life. Notwithstanding his remarkable age, as long as he was able to walk he could be seen every day directing his workmen on the farm and in the village of Clayton. Two weeks before his demise he walked from his home to a Sunday service at the church which he loved so well. He had a remarkably retentive memory and was a great reader, his Bible being the best beloved of all his books. It was his custom to spend the early morning of each day in the privacy of his own chamber reading the Book of Books, and the old volume which was his constant companion through life is treasured as a sacred heirloom by his family. In all his business relations his integrity was of the ideal kind, and the good name which he left behind him is a precious inheritance to his children. May 31, 1831, he married Miss Rosanna McCausland, of St. Louis County, who died in 1862. Their children were John A. Clayton, Rev. William D. Clayton and Mrs. Mary McCausland.
Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri: Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 2011~


Charles A. Clark, president of the Egyptian Tie & Timber Company, was born in Wayne county, Illinois, December 25, 1873, a son of Elias and Ulissa Jane (Leach) Clark. The father was a native of Wisconsin and belonged to one of the old pioneer families of that state of English descent. He removed with his parents to Wabash county, Illinois, prior to the Civil war, and in that state engaged in farming and stock raising for many years but when the country needed his aid in defense of the Union he became a private in an Illinois regiment and served on various battle fields of the south until the final victory was won. He then resumed his agricultural and stock raising interests in Illinois where he is now living retired. His wife was born in Edwards county, that state, where her parents had lived from any early day. The Leach family also came of English ancestry. Mrs. Clark departed this life in 1910 at the age of sixty years. By her marriage she had become the mother of six sons and a daughter.
Charles A. Clark of this review was educated in the country schools of Wayne county, Illinois, and spent his youthful days on the home farm, early becoming familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops. At the age of twenty-seven years, however, he left the farm and entered the employ of the firm of L. D. Leach & Company, dealers in timber, with whom he continued for ten years and during that period he acquainted himself with all branches of the business. He then resigned his position and in 1911 organized, the Egyptian Tie & Timber Company of St. Louis of which he has since been the president! This company operates in Illinois and Missouri and in addition to dealing in timber products they also engage in the manufacture of lumber. The .business has been steadily developed to extensive proportions and is the tangible expression of the ability, enterprise and determined purpose of Charles A. Clark. In addition to his activities of this character he is the president of the Egyptian Gravel Company and a substantial business has been built up in that line.
On the 7th of October, 1900, in Wayne county, Illinois, Mr. Clark was married to Miss Beatrice Barnett, a native of Wabash county,. Illinois, and a daughter of Thomas and Ruth (Brown) Barnett who were representatives of old and well known families of Wabash county. Mr. and Mrs. Clark have become parents of two children, Freda, born in Wayne county, Illinois, and Lena. The family now resides at No. 5361 Pershing avenue in St. Louis. Mr. Clark gives his political support to the republican party while fraternally he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and his family is identified with the Methodist church. Mr. Clark started out in life as a poor boy. His first earnings on a farm were but twenty-five cents per day and from that humble beginning he has steadily advanced, his success being due entirely to his industry and perseverance. He attacks with contagious enthusiasm anything he undertakes and his unfaltering purpose and industry have enabled him to surmount all the difficulties and obstacles in his path and climb steadily to the goal of prosperity.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Forced to abandon a college course when eighteen years of age in order to provide for his own support and that of a widowed mother with her family of children Milton G. Clymer has since that time made steady progress in the business world and today his name is known throughout the country by reason of what he accomplished in connection with the business of canning and preserving fruit. It seems hardly credible that one man could have accomplished what he has—the upbuilding of a business amounting to seven and a half million dollars annually. Today this mammoth business is conducted under the name of the Temtor Corn & Fruit Products Company and the genius and directing head of the enterprise has always been Mr. Clymer of this review, who came to St. Louis from the neighboring state of Illinois, his birth having occurred in Polo, October 5, 1866. His father, H. G. Clymer, who was born in Pennsylvania, arrived in Chicago in 1857 and twenty years later, or in 1877, removed to Missouri, where he engaged, in the preserving business until his death in 1885. His wife, Mrs. Mary Clymer, was also a native of the Keystone state and long survived her husband, passing away in 1910.
Milton G. Clymer was educated in the public schools of St. Louis and in Illinois College at Jacksonville, Illinois, where he was pursuing his studies at the time of his father's death. The parents had endeavored to put aside a sufficient sum to give their children good educational opportunities but now the widowed mother faced a different problem as the income of her husband's labors was no longer to be had. Death had called him, and his son Milton G. Clymer must now enter upon the battle of life. He returned home, took up the burdens laid down by his father and brought to his task the enthusiasm of youth combined with a firm determination and indefatigable energy. The preserve company which his father had established was carried on by him for a time and later was sold to the American Preserve Company. In 1891 Mr. Clymer accepted a position as superintendent of a Cincinnati preserve concern, for it then seemed to him that a weekly wage was a more sure and stable thing than a possible income of a business which he owned. His salary at that time was one hundred dollars per month and for this salary he personally supervised the manufacture of the products of the company and in time actually made the product himself. A little later a similar position was offered him by a preserving company of Chicago, the new position carrying with it a salary of eighteen hundred dollars per year. In 1896 he became one of the organizers of the Columbia Preserve Company and he placed in the new venture an investment of three thousand dollars and was elected vice president of the firm. The company operated successfully for three years and the business was then reorganized under the name of the St. Louis Syrup & Preserve Company with M. Q. Clymer as the vice president. In turn this company sold out to the Corn Products Company in 1906 and again Mr. Clymer occupied a position as superintendent of a preserving plant. He worked at this for six years, standing over steaming kettles of boiling strawberries and other fruits day after day, actually producing products for this concern Just as he had been taught to do in his apprenticeship under his father. Though many changes have occurred in his business career each one has brought him valuable experience and many have brought him financial advancement as well. In 1913 he became one of the organizers of the original Best-Clymer Company which established a plant in a little building housing approximately fifty employes not far from the company's present extensive plant. The new firm met much competition and it was with difficulty that the business was placed upon a paying business but the excellence of its output assured its success. Patrons were well pleased with the products and the trade kept growing until a point was reached that made the future assured. The business was originally capitalized for one hundred and fifty thousand dollars and the stock was all held by St. Louis men save that owned by Mr. Best, the president of the concern. In the beginning Mr. Clymer bent his energies to the upbuilding of the trade. He sought business everywhere and concentrated his efforts upon the undertaking from five o'clock in the morning until ten o'clock at night. Never did he deviate from his rule of maintaining the highest standards in production. Honest labels and pure ingredients were the watchwords in the plant and this policy which has been rigidly followed throughout the years of the company's existence has demonstrated in Mr. Clymer's opinion that the public is ever appreciative of the products of honest manufacturing. From a very small beginning the business constantly developed until its annual sales reached seven million five hundred thousand dollars, largely through the personal efforts of the founder. The demand for the output increased with such rapidity that in 1919 it was thought wise to form the present company known as the Temtor Corn and Fruit Products Company. The St. Louis plant has been recently doubled in size and in addition to this the company's holdings consists of a factory in South Ft. Smith, Arkansas, and Penn Tan, New York, and it has purchased the thirty-three acre plant of the Corn Products Refining Company in Granite City, Illinois, besides leasing three thousand acres of land upon which is grown the cane for the manufacture of sorghum syrup. Mr. Clymer had been the vice president of the Best-Clymer Manufacturing Company and upon the organization of the Temtor Corn & Fruit Products Company he was elected to the presidency.
In St. Louis in 1891 Mr. Clymer was married to Miss Addie Hausman, who is a daughter of C. A. Hausman, a candy manufacturer. Their children are: Adelyn M., now the wife of M. L. Pittman of New York; and Charles L.
Mr. Clymer is a member of the Maple Avenue Methodist church and belongs also to the Midland Valley Country Club, the Sunset Hill Country Club, the St. Louis Club and the City Club, being a well known factor in club circles in the city. Politically he is a republican and is a student of the questions and issues of the day, never lightly regarding the duties and obligations of citizenship. He has come through severe trials in the business world with few marks and scars of battle. His has ever been a genial nature and a kindly disposition, combined with fair-mindedness and recognition of the rights and privileges of others. While he has built up a business of mammoth proportions his course has never been strewn with the wreck of other men's fortunes. He has followed constructive measures and an analyzation of his character shows the utilization of qualities that any might cultivate—thoroughness, persistency of purpose, diligence and unfaltering integrity. The results that he has achieved mark him as a man of high purpose and his example should serve as a source of inspiration and encouragement to others.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


It is a long way from the position of office boy to the vice president of an important business corporation, but this road Martin J. Collins has traveled, progressing steadily until he has reached the second position of executive control, being now vice president of the Graham Paper Company of St Louis. He was born in this city November 6, 1869, and is a son of Thomas and Bridget Collins, who came from Galway, Ireland, to the new world. His education was acquired in St Vincent's Catholic school of St. Louis which he attended to the age of eleven years and then started out to earn his living by working as a bobbin boy in a hemp factory in South St Louis. He afterward acted as messenger boy with the Western Union and later became office boy with the Graham Paper Company. Here his willingness, his industry and faithfulness won him promotion and he steadily advanced from one position to another until he reached the vice presidency and is now bending his efforts to administrative direction and executive control in connection with one of the most important commercial interests of the city.
On the 17th of October, 1895, in St Louis, Mr. Collins was married to Miss Mary A. McDonough, of Boston, Massachusetts, representative of one of the old New England families. They have become the parents of five sons: Harry J., Charles T., Robert B„ William and Thomas. The religious faith of the family is that of the Catholic church and in political belief Mr. Collins is a democrat.He belongs to the St Louis Club, the Missouri Athletic Association and a number of the other leading clubs of the city. He has never filled political office but served as chief of staff under Governor H. S. Hadley, being the first democratic colonel on a republican governor's staff in Missouri. He takes a keen interest in both city and state politics and has been identified with many of those wholesome and purifying reforms which are now common to both parties and which receive the endorsement of all high-minded American citizens who hold to the most advanced standards of civic life. He supports all measures which tend to civic betterment and improvement and is keenly interested in boys and welfare work. He is the vice president of the Big Brother organisation, is the president of the Papa Club, is the president of the Missouri School for the Blind and a director of the St Louis Cardinal Baseball Club. He believes in fostering a love of manly sport among boys and has studied the boy problem from the standpoint of child psychology, while actual experience in his own household has given him most comprehensive and valuable knowledge. His labors have indeed been a most forceful element in protecting boy life in St. Louis and as vice president of the Big Brother organization he is putting forth great influence in this connection, his labors being at all times beneficial and resultant.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Pheobe CouzinsCOUZINS, Miss Phoebe, lawyer, was born in St. Louis, Mo., in 184- and has passed most of her life in that city. On her father's side her ancestry is French Huguenot, and on her mother's side English. She inherits her broad views of justice from both parents. Her mother, Mrs. Adaline Couzins, was among the first to offer her services as volunteer aid to the Sanitary Commission in the Civil War, and Phoebe also was active in relieving the miseries of the wounded and sick soldiers. They served after many of the great battles of that conflict, and during those years the daughter was studying the question of prevention of war, and she came to the conclusion that woman, clothed with political powers, would be as powerful to prevent war, as, without such powers, she is to ameliorate its horrors and evils. In 1869 her ideas were crystallized in the Woman's Franchise Organization, which included some of the best and most intelligent women of St. Louis. Miss Couzins at that time began to think of entering some profession. Acting on the advice of Judge John M Krum, she chose law and applied for admission to the Law School of Washington University, in St. Louis, in 1869. She had been educated in the public schools and high school of St. Louis, and the board of directors and the law faculty of the university were familiar with her career. Her application for admission was granted without a dissenting voice, thus giving the St Louis university the honor of first opening a law-school to the women of the United States. Miss Couzins was an earnest student in the law-school, and she was graduated in 1871, and a public dinner was given to signalize the event. She did not enter largely into the practice of law, but she was one of the few who presented their cases to General Butler, when he was chairman of the judiciary committee of Congress in Washington. In 1876 she entered the lecture field as an advocate of woman suffrage, and her record was a brilliant one. She has been admitted to practice in all the courts of Missouri, in the United States District Court, and in the courts of Kansas and Utah. She has held positions of trust and honor. She was at one time United States Marshal for the Eastern District of Missouri, the first woman in the United States appointed to a federal executive office, receiving her commission from Justice Miller. Two governors of Missouri have appointed her commissioner for that State on the National Board of Charities and Correction. Superintendent of the Eleventh Census Robert P. Porter appointed her manager of the division of mortgage indebtedness for the city of St. Louis. She was appointed in July, 1890, a lady commissioner for Missouri on the World's Fair Board of Directors.
(American Women, by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1, Publ. 1897, Transcribed by Marla Snow.)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.