Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" C "

CABANNE, John P., vice president St. Louis Dairy Co.; born, St. Louis, Jan. 16, 1869; son of J. Charless and Susan (Mitchell) Cabanne; educated in public schools of St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Oct. 3, 1911, Mrs. Mary C. McDearmon. Since 1890, connected with the St. Louis Dairy Co., of which was manager until January, 1911, when was elected vice president: Clubs: Glen Echo Country, Missouri Athletic, Racquet. Recreations: hunting and golf. Office: 2008 Pine St. Residence: 316 Skinker Rd.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CABANNE, Joseph Charless, president St. Louis Dairy Co.; born, St. Louis, Oct. 16,1849; son of John Charles and Virginia E. (Carr) Cabanne; educated in public schools of St. Louis, and later attended Flushing (N. Y.) Institute; married, St. Louis, 1868, Susan Martha Preston Christy Mitchell; children: John P., Virginia (Mrs. E. W. Little), Martha (Mrs. Robert J. Kayser), Susan (Mrs. J. Shepard Smith), Mary (Sister Mary Ambrose of the Visitation Convent), Fannie (Mrs. E. Lawrence Pearson), Arthur Lee. Began business career as a dairy farmer in 1868; has been continuously identified with this interest, and acquired other interests in same line from time to time, organizing them, 1882, into the St. Louis Dairy Co., producers and dealers in dairy products, of which is president. Member Civic League. Citizens' Industrial Association. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Amateur Athletic. Recreations: music and golf. Office: 2008 Pine St. Residence: 4334 Westminster Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CABELL, Ashley, lawyer; born, Washington, D. C, Dec. 27, 1851; son of Hon. Edward Carrington and Anna M. (Wilcox) Cabell; educated in New York High School, Washington and Lee University, Va., 1870-1874, LL.B.; Polytechnic College, Carlsruhe, Germany, 1874-75; married, Nashville, Tenn., Oct. 19, 1881, Margaret Hodges Stretch; children: Margaret, Carrington. Admitted to bar, 1874; jury commissioner, City of St. Louis, 1879-83; president American School Book Co., 1883-85; engaged in practice of law since 1891. Commander De Soto Council, American Legion of Honor, 1889-91; chancellor Bonaparte Council, Legion of Honor, for several years; president Missouri Society Sons of the American Revolution, 1905-06. Member of Missouri State Bar Association and Law Library Association. Episcopalian. Democrat. Residence: Kirkwood, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CADY, L. Bertram, tailoring; born, New York City, Dec. 10, 1857; son of Ira L. and Chlotilda (Yale) Cady; educated in New York City public schools, New York College and Columbia University, graduating, E.M., C.E., and Ph.B., from Columbia University; married, June 8, 1884, Ellen C. Brindle, of London, Eng. Private assistant to Professor Thomas Eggleston, Columbia School of Mines, 1877-78; superintendent Moose Mining Co.'s mill, Dudley, Colo., 1878; general manager Dunn's Mountain Mines, North Carolina, 1879-81; general manager Chapin Mine, Chapin, Mich., 1881-82; partner James W. Bell & Son, 172 Fifth Ave., New York City, 1882-86; president Cady & Nelson Co., 226 Fifth Ave., New York City, 1886-92; president L. Bertram Cady Co., 327 Fifth Ave., New York City; from 1895 president and treasurer L. Bertram Cady Co., St. Louis, gentlemen's and ladies' tailoring, until 1912; business then changed from corporation to firm, "Cady," of which is proprietor. Member Civic League. Member Columbia Alumni, Phi Gamma Delta Society. Clubs: New York Athletic; also Noonday, Glen Echo Country, St. Louis Biding, Sunset Hill (St. Louis). Recreation: horseback riding. Office: 511 Olive St. Residence: 6158 Kingsbury Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAHILL, Thomas Francis, plumbers' gas and steamfitters' supplies; born, St. Louis, May 22, 1857; son of Patrick and Ellen (Slattery) Cahill; educated in Christian Brothers (parochial) School; married, St. Louis, Feb. 20, 1884, Nora Sullivan; children: John, Jr., Mary B., Thomas F., Roswell B., Francis, Louis, Richard. Began business career in 1871, in employ of M. C. Bignall & Co., heavy hardware, continuing until end of 1885; in 1886 joined in organizing firm of Clegg, Cahill & Collins, plumbers' supplies, which was succeeded by the Cahill, Swift Manufacturing Co. (incorporated in 1898), of which is president. Democrat. Roman Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus. Office: 20 S.12th St. Residence: Old Orchard, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CALE, George William, Jr., chief surgeon St. Louis & San Francisco B. B. Co.; born, St. Louis, Dec. 31, 1886; son of George William and Matilda L. (Carvell) Cale; educated in public schools, Smith Academy of Washington University, St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons, M.D., 1887; attended University of Berlin, 1890, University of Heidelberg, 1891; married, St. Louis, Apr. 8,1891, Neosho, daughter of B. F. Hobart, of St. Louis; children: Emily Longwell, George William, 3d, B. F. Hobart, Julian D. Engaged in practice of medicine in St. Louis, 1887-90 and 1892-98; in November, 1898, organized Medical Department of the St. Louis & San Francisco R. R. Co., which is known as the Employes' Hospital Association of the Frisco Line, with headquarters at Springfield; moved to that place from St. Louis, where General Hospital of the company was located; in 1905, the new hospital of the Frisco System was erected on Laclede Ave. and King's Highway, St. Louis, when again took up residence in St. Louis, to which the Medical Department headquarters were transferred. Professor of clinical surgery, Washington University; professor surgery, St. Louis University; late professor of anatomy and clinical surgery in St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons. First lieutenant Medical Reserve Corps, U. S. Army. Member Mississippi Valley Medical Association, St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri State Medical Association, American Medical Association; fellow Royal Microscopical Society of London. Director Hobart Lee Tie Co., Arkansas Mining and Mercantile Co., Newton County Fruit Farm Co., American Fire Clay Co. Republican. Was for several years major and surgeon First Infantry, National Guard of Missouri. Episcopalian. Clubs: St. Louis, Army and Navy (Washington, D. C), Army and Navy (New York). Recreations: hunting, motoring and yachting. Office: Laclede Ave. and King's Highway Boul. Residence: 12 Lenox Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CALFEE, Joseph Starke, cashier Mechanics-American National Bank; born near Graham, Va., May 22, 1868; son of John A. and Julia A. (Davidson) Calfee; removed to Windsor, Mo., in 1878; educated in public schools of Windsor; married, Kansas City, Mo., Nov. 16, 1904, Nellie A. Beedy; two children: Creighton Beedy and Arthur Davidson. Began business career with the Windsor Savings Bank, Windsor, Mo., 1883; cashier Citizens Bank of Windsor, 1885 to Feb. 1, 1904, when came to St. Louis to take position as first assistant cashier of Mechanics National Bank; held same position with the Mechanics-American National Bank, becoming cashier and director, in March, 1909; director Citizens Bank, Windsor, Mo. An active member of Missouri Bankers' Association for a number of years; served as secretary, vice president and president of same, presiding at convention of Missouri Bankers' Association held in Missouri Building of Louisiana Purchase Exposition, 1904; elected, 1912, member of the Executive Council of American Bankers' Association. Member Business Men's League, Civic League. Member St. John's M. E. Church, South. Democrat. Clubs: St. Louis, Mercantile, City, Glen Echo Country. Recreation: golf. Office: Broadway and Locust St. Residence: 33 Kingsbury Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CALHOUN, David Randolph, president Ely & Walker Dry Goods Co.; born, Hartford, Conn., Feb. 28, 1858: son of George W. and Sarah R. (Giles) Calhoun; educated in common schools, New Market, N. J., and Smith Academy, Dunellen, N. J.; married, New York City, Nov. 25, 1891, Marie Gardner Whitmore; children: Josephine C. (Mrs. C. Norman Jones), by previous marriage; David R., Jr., by present marriage. Began business career in New York with Noyes, White & Co., commission notions, 1876-78; came to St. Louis, 1878, and entered employ of Ely, Janis & Co., wholesale dry goods; firm was incorporated, 1883, as Ely & Walker Dry Goods Co., of which was elected president in 1903, and still continues in that capacity. Member Business Men's League. Independent in politics. Clubs: St. Louis, St. Louis Country, Log Cabin, Noonday, Racquet. Recreation: golf. Office: 1520 Washington Ave. Residence: 4446 Lindell Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CALHOUN, Gouverneur, commercial representative American Telephone and Telegraph Co.; born, Chicago, September, 1868; son of John B. and Frances (Thompson) Calhoun; educated in Chicago High School and took four-year regular academic course at Yale University; married, 1902, Felicia, daughter of Frederick N. Judson, of St. Louis. Continuously in service of American Telephone and Telegraph Co. (long-distance telephone) since 1893, serving successively as superintendent at Cincinnati, Indianapolis and at St. Louis, 1898-1911; now commercial representative. Member Civic League of St Louis. Episcopalian. Clubs: Mercantile, City, Algonquin. Office: Equitable Bldg. Residence: 3733 Washington Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CALHOUN, John Wolfinger, lawyer; born, St. Louis, Mar. 17, 1885; son of John R. and Caroline E. (Wolfinger) Calhoun; educated St. Louis High School; Washington University; LL.B., St. Louis Law School (Washington University), 1907; unmarried. Admitted to Missouri bar, 1907, and has since engaged in practice in St. Louis; attorney for Legal Aid Society of Bar Association of St. Louis; secretary Grant Undertaking Co., Croasdaile Realty Co. Served as private in Light Battery A, 1908-10. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Bar Association of St. Louis, Delta Chi college fraternity; also member Anchor Lodge, A. F. & A. M. Recreations: outdoor sports. Office: 602 Board of Education Bldg. Residence: 3024 Geyer Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAMPBELL, Charles, president Campbell Iron Co.; born, Johnstown, N. Y., June 29, 1843; son of John S. and Margaret (McVean) Campbell; educated in the public schools of Wisconsin; married, Milwaukee, Wis., Feb. 14, 1877, Emma J. Webster; children: Emma M. (Mrs. Lee A. McLean), Stuart, Charles, Jr. From 1865 to 1876 was employed with Benjamin Young, Milwaukee; came to St. Louis, 1876, and was connected with Waterman Bros. & Co., which later became the Waterman, Campbell Iron Co., and afterward the Campbell Iron Co., wholesale iron, steel and wagon material, of which is president. Republican. Presbyterian. Club: Missouri Athletic. Recreation: traveling. Office: 809 Cass Ave. Residence: 5841 Julian Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAMPBELL, Edward Taylor, president American Central Insurance Co.; born, Princeton, Ky., Sept. 25, 1861; son of Edward P. and Caroline E. (Taylor) Campbell; educated at Bethany College and in law department of Cumberland University; married, Lebanon, Tenn., Dec. 16, 1881, Alice Cary Pennebaker; children: Edwin Taylor, Lucile Cary (Mrs. B. G. Chapman, Jr.). Entered service of German-American Insurance Co. of New York as special agent and adjuster, in April, 1886; retired to engage in local insurance business at Kansas City, 1890; appointed, 1892, resident secretary of North British and Mercantile Insurance Co. and advanced to general agent of that company, with residence in New York, 1892-94; appointed assistant secretary American Central Insurance Co. of St. Louis, Sept. 1, 1894, first vice president, 1903-08, resident since January, 1908. Director of Mercantile Fire and Marine Insurance Co. of Boston; director National Bank of Commerce, St. Louis, Southern Surety Co. of St. Louis and Muskogee, Okla. Democrat. Formerly member Company D, Third Regiment, Kentucky State Guard. Member St. John's M. E. Church. Clubs: St. Louis, Commercial, Noonday, Mercantile, Glen Echo Country. Office: Odd Fellows Bldg. Residence: 6119 Kingsberry Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAMPBELL, Given, Jr., physician; born, New Orleans, Dec. 18, 1867; son of Given and Sue Betty (Woods) Campbell; educated public schools; Smith Academy, one year; Manual Training School, one year; Kentucky Military Institute, one year; Pennsylvania Military Academy, Chester, Pa.; M.D., St. Louis Medical College, 1889; post-graduate work in King's College, London, England, Paris, France, and Columbia University, New York City; married, St. Louis, Oct. 30, 1900, Sarah Winter Bryson; one child: Given Campbell, ILL, born Nov. 1, 1910. Interne St. Louis City Hospital, 1889-90; assistant physician St. Louis Insane Asylum, two years, 1890-91; studied in London and Paris one year, 1891-92; in general practice at St. Louis, 1892-1905; has specialized in diseases of the nervous system since 1905. Democrat. Presbyterian. Member American Neurological Association, St. Louis Neurological Association (secretary), Medical Society City Hospital Alumni (ex-president), St. Louis Medical Society. Recreation: motoring. Office and Residence: 5165 Washington Avenue.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAMPBELL, James, capitalist; born, Ireland, Apr. 4, 1848; came to United States when two years old; lived at Wheeling, W. Va.; educated in private schools; married, 1882, Florence A. Platener; one daughter: Lois. At age of eleven was employed in grocery store and at outbreak of Civil War became attached to General Fremont's staff as messenger; after the war, went to New York, and in 1866 came to St. Louis and was identified with surveying and engineering until 1876; then engaged in bond and stock transactions, and later became interested in street railways and other utility corporations. Director Republic Iron and Steel Co., etc. Director and member executive committee Louisiana Purchase Exposition. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, Glen Echo, Racquet. Office: 441 Olive St. Residence: 2 Westmoreland Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAMPBELL, James Alexander, oculist and aurist; born, Platteville, Wis., Jan. 12, 1847; son of Dr. James C. and Permelia C. (Oliver) Campbell; graduated from St. Louis High School, 1867; M.D., Homoeopathic Medical College of Missouri, 1869; post-graduate course in St. Louis University, also courses at Berlin, Vienna and Paris, 1872-73; married. St. Louis, Sept. 15, 1880, Eva B. Burden; children: Roy Alexander, Marjorie Evelyn, Ralph Burden. Began in general practice in St. Louis, 1869; later practice limited to eye and ear. Professor of chemistry in Homoeopathic Medical College of Missouri, 1869-72, professor of ophthalmology and otology in same since 1878. President of Homoeopathic Medical College of Missouri for ten years; oculist and aurist to St. Louis Children's Hospital. 1879-1910, to Good Samaritan Hospital, 1878-98, and to Girls' Industrial Home. Member American Institute of Homoeopathy, National Homoeopathic Ophthalmological, Otological and Laryngological Association, Missouri Institute of Homoeopathy, Academy Science, St. Louis. Protestant. Member Sons of the Revolution, Legion of Honor, Royal Arcanum. Mason, Knight Templar. Office: 206-207 Mermod-.Jaccard Bldg. Residence: 5097 Washington Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAMPBELL, James Campbell, lawyer; born, St. Louis, Nov. 13, 1882; son of Given and Susan Elizabeth (Woods) Campbell; graduated from Smith Academy, 1900; student Westminster College, 1900-02, University of Virginia, 1902-05; married, New York City, July 23, 1910, Hilde Depp; one child: James C. Admitted to Missouri bar, 1905, and since in practice at St. Louis. President Lawyers' Investment Co., Comet Realty and Investment Co.; secretary Jackson Park Realty Co. Member St. Louis Bar Association. Democrat. Presbyterian. Member Beta Theta Pi college fraternity. Club: City. Office: 1811 Third National Bank Bldg. Residence: Kirkwood, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAMPBELL, Oliver Howard, physician; born, Germantown, Pa., July 26, 1871; son of James R. and Mary Eliza (Douglas) Campbell; educated in public schools, University of Kansas, Washington University Medical School, M.D., 1899; unmarried. Engaged in general practice of medicine in St. Louis since 1899; member staff Bethesda Foundling Home; instructor Medical Department, Washington University. Member City Hospital Alumni Medical Society, St. Louis Medical Society. Episcopalian. Recreation: tennis. Office and Residence: 3542 Washington Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAMPBELL, Robert A., railway official; born, Mason, ILL., Apr. 13, 1854; son of William M. and Anna C. (Foster) Campbell; educated in public schools, Mason; married, Vincennes, Ind., Dec. 27, 1876, Isadora Scott; children: Walter Scott, Una Bell. Began railway service as telegraph operator, Illinois Central R. R. at Odin, ILL., 1872-74; clerk in freight office, Evansville & Terre Haute R. R. at Vincennes, 1874-77, chief clerk to general freight agent at Evansville, Ind., 1877-79; agent at Vincennes, 1879-82, traveling freight agent, 1882-83, same road; general agent same road and Chicago & Eastern Illinois R. R. at Terre Haute, Ind., 1883-91; general passenger agent Evansville & Terre Haute R. R., Evansville & Indianapolis and Louisville, Evansville & St. Louis Consolidated railroads, and Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Ry., 1891-9.1; general freight and passenger agent Louisville, Evansville & St. Louis Consolidated R. R. and Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Ry., 1893-94; general freight and passenger agent Louisville, Evansville & St. Louis Consolidated Ry., 1894 to Jan. 1, 1901; assistant general freight agent Southern Ry., Jan. 1, 1901-Jan. 1, 1908; since general freight agent. Also from Mar. 1, 1905, to Mar. 1, 1910, manager Asheville Line Routes, at St. Louis. Republican. Methodist. Mason (32°, Scottish Rite), Knight Templar. Shriner (Moolah Temple). Member American Association of Freight Traffic Officers. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Mercantile, St. Louis Railway, The Traffic of St. Louis, The Traffic of Chicago. Office: Chemical Bldg. Residence: 5457 Von Versen Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAMPBELL, Stuart, vice president and treasurer the Campbell Iron Co.; born, St. Louis, 1883; son of Charles and Emma J. (Webster) Campbell; educated public schools, and Manual Training School; unmarried. Began active career in employ of Campbell Iron Co., 1900; worked in various departments, now vice president and treasurer. Republican. Protestant. Member St. Louis Association of Credit Men. Clubs: City, Public Question. Recreation: tennis. Office: 819 Cass Ave. Residence: 5841 Julian Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAMPBELL, Walter Taylor, fire insurance; born, Hopkinsville, Ky.; son of Edward P. and Caroline E. (Taylor) Campbell; educated in public schools of Hopkinsville, South Kentucky College and Ferrall's Academy, Hopkinsville; unmarried. Began business career in employ of the Bank of Hopkinsville, of which father was president; then was in insurance business at Kansas City, Mo., one year, and at Chicago one year, prior to 1897, when came to St. Louis and engaged in fire insurance business; since 1905 representing several companies as local and general agent. Republican. Member Civic League. Clubs: University, Noonday, City, Bellerive Country. Office: Pierce Bldg. Residence: Buckingham Hotel.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAMPFIELD, Charles Henry, fire and marine insurance; born, Savannah, Ga., June 23, 1836; son of Charles H. and Elizabeth Augusta (Schellmann) Campfield; educated in various schools in Savannah, Ga., and at Russell's Military Academy, New Haven, Conn.; married, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., 1857, Josephine J. Campfield (cousin); children: George A., Ralph E. (deceased), Clara Gihon (Mrs. W. I. Harrison). Continuously engaged in fire and marine insurance business in St. Louis since November, 1866. Agents Lloyds of London; correspondent National Board of Marine Underwriters of New York, Board of Underwriters of New York. Member St. Louis Fire Prevention Bureau, Underwriters Salvage Corps. Hereditary member of the Society of the Cincinnati in the State of New Jersey, Sons of the Revolution, Military Order of Foreign Wars. Member Odd Fellows, Legion of Honor of St. Louis, Royal Arcanum. Favorite recreations: music and books. Office: Pierce Bldg. Residence: 6974 Julian Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CANDY, Gilbert, merchant; born, Bath, England, Aug. 18, 1864; son of J. B. and Asenath Candy; removed with parents to United States at age of six years; educated in public schools; resident of St. Louis since 1880; married, St. Louis, Ida Marcum; one child: Mildred Rosalind. Has been engaged in the candy business in St. Louis since 1885; was at 215 Chestnut St. until 1902 with Candy Bros. Manufacturing Co.; since 1902 manager of the Busy Bee, retail confections. Member Civic League. Mason. Recreation: fishing. Office: 417 N. 7th St. Residence: 5927 Clemens Avenue.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CANDY, William Edward, merchant; born, Burlington, La., Apr. 26, 1873; son of John B. and Asenath (Weaver) Candy; educated in Burlington (La.) public schools and Burlington Business College; married, St. Louis, September, 1902, May P. Allen; three children: Harold Weaver, Ruth Wentworth, Virginia Isabella. Resident St. Louis since 1891, entering the Busy Bee Candy Co., and in 1903 succeeding to present position as secretary and treasurer of the company. Recreation: fishing. Office: 417 N. 7th St. Residence: 5858 Etzel Avenue.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CANNON, John Franklin, clergyman; born in Cabarrus Co., N. C. Jan. 3, 1851; son of John Maxwell and Eliza Deborah (Robinson) Cannon; graduated from Davidson College, North Carolina, A.B., 1869, post-graduate course. University of Virginia, 1869-70; graduated from Union Theological Seminary, Virginia, 1873; D.D., Southwestern Presbyterian University, 1888); married, Clarksville, Tenn., Feb. 24. 1880, Mary Lupton; children: Julia, John Franklin, Jr., Mary L. Licensed, May, 1873, ordained, October, 1873, to ministry of Presbyterian Church of the United States (Presbyterian Church, South); pastor of Presbyterian Church, Leesburg, Va„ 1873-81, Shelbyville, Tenn., 1881-88; since November, 1888, pastor Grand Avenue Presbyterian Church, St. Louis. Was moderator General Assembly, Presbyterian Church of the United States, 1899. Democrat. Address: 3540 Pine Street.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CANNON, Thomas Doherty, lawyer; born, Killybegs, County Donegal, Ireland, Feb. 14, 1866; son of Patrick and Bridget (Doherty) Cannon; educated in National School of native town until sixteenth year, also by uncle, Rev. Francis B. Cannon, and at Jones Commercial College, St. Louis, and St. Louis Law School; married, 1908, Marguerite Carroll, of Norfolk, Va. Landed at Castle Garden a few days after sixteenth birthday; first employed in Western Union Telegraph Co.'s office at Union City, Ind., as messenger, May 1, 1882; learned telegraphy in odd moments; admitted to bar, June, 1895, St. Louis Circuit Court, and since engaged in practice. Member faculty St. Louis University Institute of Law. Member St. Louis Bar Association. Law Library Association. St. Louis. Catholic. Republican. Member Young Men's Sodality of St. Louis University. Club: City. Office: Suite 418 419 Liggett Bldg. Residence: 5092 Kensington Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAPEN, Charles Pond, president Capen Belting and Rubber Co.; born, St. Louis, Dec. 4, 1877; son of George D. and Frances Isabella (Pond) Capen: educated in Smith Academy, St. Louis, St. Paul's School, Concord, N. H., and Yale University, A.B., 1900; married, St. Louis, January, 1904, Clara Stegall; twin children: Frances Wentworth and Laura Weldon. Since 1900 engaged in business in St. Louis; about 1903 was elected president and manager of Capen Belting and Rubber Co., distributers of belting, mechanical rubber foods, engine packings and fire protection, Member Civic League. Mason (Blue Lodge, Chapter, Commandery and Shrine). Clubs: City, Kings Lake Hunting and Fishing. Office: cor. Main and Chestnut Sts. Residence: 4701 Westminster Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAPEN, George Henry, insurance; born, St. Louis, Sept. 3, 1868; son of George D. and Frances Isabella (Pond) Capen; educated at Smith Academy, St. Louis, and Yale University, class of 1890, and St. Louis Law School; married, Cairo, ILL.. Nov. 7, 1893, Lila Halliday; children: Lila, Esther Halliday. Admitted to St. Louis bar in 1892, then entered fire insurance office of George D. Capen & Co. and in same year became a partner in the firm and so continues. Also director H. L. Halliday Milling Co., of Cairo, ILL. Member Merchants' Exchange. Republican. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday. Office: Pierce Bldg. Residence: 4920 McPherson Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAPEN, Samuel Davis, fire insurance; born, St. Louis, Mar. 28, 1863; son of George D. and Frances Isabella (Pond) Capen; educated at Smith Academy, St. Louis; graduated from Yale University, A.B., 1885, Harvard Law School, LL.B., 1888; married, Milwaukee, Wis., Sept. 24, 1890, Effie Houghton; children: Adaline, Frances Isabel, Lucile, Samuel Davis, Jr. Was with the Phenix Insurance Co., of Brooklyn, as adjuster in Chicago office of the company, 1888-93; removed to St. Louis, 1893, and in the same year became member of firm of George D. Capen & Co., general fire insurance agents and brokers. Also president Capen Motor Car Co.; director Boatmen's Bank. Member Merchants' Exchange, Business Men's League. Republican. Presbyterian. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, Racquet, Automobile. Office: 1406 Pierce Bldg. Residence: Wentworth Terrace, Clayton, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAPLAN, Leo, physician; born, Kovno, Russia, May 27, 1865; son of Benjamin and Mary Caplan; educated in public and high schools in Russia, and University of Vienna, Austria, M.D., 1891; married, Vienna, 1892, Julia Levinson. Came to St. Louis from Austria, November, 1893, and has since engaged in practice in this city. Member St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri State Medical Association, American Medical Association, Academy of Laryngology and Otology. Club: Missouri Athletic. Office: 4500 Olive St. Residence: 5224 Delmar Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARD, Edward Albert, superintendent St. Louis City Rescue Mission; born, Windsor, Nova Scotia, Oct. 16, 1852; son of Charles William and Caroline (Dymond) Card; educated in common schools to fifteen; married, Chicago, Dec. 24, 1876, Mary Alice Mills; three children: Clarence William, George Dymond, Olive Caroline (Mrs. S. Edgar Cope, of Springfield, Mo.). Began business career as a boy on his father's boat at Windsor, Nova Scotia, as a fisherman, continuing until twenty years of age; came to United States July 5, 1872; first position was with John Featherstone's foundry company, of Chicago, 1872-73; then with W. C. Ritchie, paper box manufacturer, 1873-76; entered employ of United States Express Co., first as porter, later conductor on wagon service, then solicitor at Chicago, 1876-1902. Promoted to general agent United States Express Co. at St. Louis, 1902; resigned, 1903, to become superintendent of the St. Louis City Rescue Mission. Republican. Member Methodist Church, South. Member Garden City Lodge No. 141, A. F. & A. M., Chicago. Club: Masonic. Recreation: attending annual meeting of the Bible Conference at Winona Lake, Ind. Office: 616 Morgan St. Residence: 4265 Cleveland Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARL, Otto, lawyer; born, Havana, ILL, Mar. 1, 1859; son of August and Martha (Martin) Carl; educated in public schools, Havana; B.S., Notre Dame University, 1878; student Harvard Law School; LL.B., Washington University Law School, 1880; married, St. Louis, about 1892, Sadie Flint; children: Lora and Carl, Jr. Admitted to bar, 1880, and since continuously in practice. Democrat; active worker in politics and has been candidate of party for judge of Court of Criminal Correction, and also for circuit attorney. Mason. Clubs: Million Population, Good Fellowship of King's Highway Presbyterian Church. Office: 318 N. 8th St. Residence: 5745 Clemens Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARLETON, Jesse wholesale dry goods; born, Cumberland, Md., Aug. 20, 1862; son of Henry Dunlap and Mary Ellen (Boogher) Carleton; educated in public schools and Normal School, Cumberland; married, St. Louie, Feb. 27, 1895, Sarah M. Legat; one daughter: Frances Ellen. Came from farm in Cumberland, Md., in 1883, at age of 20, and took position of stock clerk in print department of J. H. Wear, Boogher Dry Goods Co., of which became a director in 1895, continuing as director with that corporation and its successor, the Carleton Dry Goods Co. (to which it changed, December, 1899) to the present time. Began as traveling salesman in 1887 in Indian Territory, and later in Oklahoma and a portion of Texas, and now has three other salesmen connected with him in that territory. Also director Curlee Clothing Co. Southern Methodist.  Mason (32°), Knight Templar, Shriner. Clubs: Glen Echo Country (president), St. Louis, Mercantile, Bellerive Country, Normandie Golf, St. Louis Country, Racquet, Sunset Hill Country, Noonday, Aero. Recreation: golf. Office: Carleton Dry Goods Co. Residence: 484 Lake Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARLETON, John, president Carleton Clothing Co.; born, Ederny Co., Fermaugh, Ireland, June 2, 1868; son of John and Isabella (Maguire) Carleton; attended the Black Bog National School, Ederny Co., Fermaugh, 1875-86; later took an academic course in the Model School, Omagh Co., Tyrone, graduating Dec. 1, 1888; married, St. Louis, Feb. 17, 1898, Helen Cahill; three children: Helen M., John J. and William P. Arrived in America Mar. 20, 1890; was secretary and general manager of the McGuire Clothing Co., St. Louis, 1892-1905; organized the Carleton Clothing Co., Dec. 1, 1905, and has since been its president and treasurer. Republican. Roman Catholic. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Offices: 823-825 Washington Ave. Residence: 1391 Temple Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARLETON, Murray, wholesale dry goods merchant; born, Cumberland, Md., Sept. 1, 1852; son of Henry D. and Mary Ellen (Boogher) Carleton; educated in common schools, and later one year high school; married, St. Louis, June 26, 1884, Annie Laurie Hays; children: Murray, Jr., Susan Rebekah, Alexandria, Ruth, Dorcas, Hope Dunlap, Esther Mayne, Patricia, Annie Laurie. Entered office of Alleghanian (newspaper), Cumberland, Md., at thirteen years; worked at printing business for five years; then attended high school one year; came to St. Louis, July, 1873; entered employ of Henry Bell & Son, wholesale dry goods, first as an employee at $25 per month, and has continued with same house and its successors ever since—J. H. Wear, Boogher & Co., Wear & Boogher Dry Goods Co., and Carleton Dry Goods Co., of which is now president. Vice president Boatmen's Bank; director United Railways Co., Laclede Gas Co., Mississippi Valley Trust Co., Title Guarantee Trust Co., and one of the trustees of the Robert Barnes Estate. Member Merchants' Exchange, Business Men's League. Member Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Trustee Y. M. C. A. Clubs: Log Cabin, Noonday, St. Louis, St. Louis Country, Glen Echo, Commercial. Office: Washington Ave and 12th St. Residence: 4511 Lindell Ave. (after Oct. 1, 1912).
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARPENTER, George Oliver, resident manager National Lead Co.; born, Wakefield, Mass., Feb. 17, 1852; son of George Oliver and Maria J. (Emerson) Carpenter; educated Park Latin School and English High School, Boston, and special course, 1869-70, in Massachusetts Institute of Technology; married, Boston, Apr. 7, 1880, Caroline G. Greeley; children: George Oliver, Jr., Kenneth Greeley. Came to St. Louis, 1870, and began business career with St. Louis Lead and Oil Co. as entry clerk; filled, successively, all office positions, also chemical work in the laboratory and assistant superintendent of works; was made secretary of the company in 1876, and later vice president, and president in 1890. National Lead Co. was formed in 1891, purchasing St. Louis Lead and Oil Co., Collier White Lead and Oil Co. and Southern White Lead Co. (all of St. Louis) and other concerns elsewhere; since that time in charge of the business of the company at St. Louis, and director National Lead Co. Vice president St. Louis Smelting and Refining Co.; director National Bank of Commerce, Commonwealth Trust Co. (member executive committee.) Republican. Was adjutant St. Louis National Guard, captain Co. C, same, and colonel First Regiment, Missouri National Guard, 1880-81. President St. Louis Public Library. Member board of directors Washington University, board of control Manual Training School. Unitarian. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, University, Country, Commercial, Round Table. Recreation: traveling. Office: Liggett Bldg. Residence: 12 Portland Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARPENTER, George Oliver, Jr., contractor; born, St. Louis, Aug. 24, 1881; son of George Oliver and Caroline Oilman (Greeley) Carpenter; educated in Lachmund School, St. Louis; Volkmann School, Boston; Harvard University, A.B., 1902; married, Deephaven, Minn., February, 1911, Mary Douglas, of St. Louis. In general insurance business with firm of W. H. Markham & Co. until Mar. 1, 1910; since secretary Unit Construction Co. Republican. Clubs: Noonday, University, City, St. Louis Country. Office: 801 Liggett Bldg. Residence: 5153 Waterman Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARPENTER, James Burton, business manager; born, Dixon, Lee Co., ILL., Sept. 10, 1842; son of Burton and Mary P. (Richards) Carpenter; educated, public and private schools of Griggsville, Pike Co., ILL.; married, Perry, Pike Co., Apr. 24, 1866, Delia Ayres; six children: Charles D. (deceased), Mary C. (Mrs. W. W. Howell), Maude (Mrs. I. P. Younglove), Nellie R. (Mrs. A. J. Austin), Clara L. (Mrs. J. M. Tompsett) and Fred Green. Was connected with the United States claim agency, February, 1866-April, 1867; teller and assistant cashier First National Bank, Knoxville, Tenn., until April, 1870; appointed manager for Singer Manufacturing Co., Nashville and Memphis, Tenn., 1870, so continuing until July, 1885; since manager wholesale department same company, at St. Louis. Enlisted August, 1862, in Co. B, 103d Regiment, Ohio Volunteers; commissioned first lieutenant, First Tennessee Artillery, Sept. 17, 1863; ordinance officer. Fourth Division Cavalry Corps, first part of 1864; then with Governor's Guard of Tennessee until resigned to enter business, February, 1865. Democrat. Member Loyal Legion, Royal Arcanum. Author: History of the Burton Carpenter Family, 1785 to 1907. Recreation: billiards. Office: Room 1018 Holland Bldg. Residence: 4403 Morgan St.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARPENTER, William Guy, lawyer; born, Macoupin Co., ILL., Dec. 20, 1872; son of Norman C. and Sophia (Benion) Carpenter; secured common and high school education and then attended the State Normal School, Normal, ILL., later becoming a student at University of Chicago; matriculated in St. Louis Law School (Washington University), graduating with degree of LL.B., 1901; married, St. Louis, Feb. 1, 1905, Josephine Wilcox; two children: Frank Leland and Dorothy. Admitted to Missouri bar, 1901, and has since engaged in general practice at St. Louis. Independent in politics. Presbyterian. Club: City. Recreation: outdoor diversions. Office: Security Bldg. Residence: 7413 Murdock Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARR, Alfred Chambers, fire underwriter; born, St. Louis, Jan. 12, 1870; son of Alfred and Angelica Charlotta (Yeatman) Carr; educated in public schools of St. Louis and Washington University; married, Austin, Tex., Jan. 2, 1900, Maud E. Bremond; one son: Alfred Chambers, Jr. With father in real estate business until Mar. 1, 1894, when with brother Charles Yeatman Carr, engaged under firm name of Carr Brothers, in fire insurance agency business, as representative of several strong companies. Democrat. Member Merchants' Exchange. Recreation: outdoor diversions. Office: 204 N. Third St. Residence: 5719 Cabanne Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARR, Charles Yeatman, insurance underwriter; born, Glencoe, Mo., Sept. 18, 1872; son of Alfred and Angelica Charlotta (Yeatman) Carr; educated at Smith Academy, St. Louis, and at Eastman College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y., graduating 1891; married, St. Louis, Mar. 15, 1899, Virginia Scudder. Has been engaged in the insurance business since Jan. 3, 1893, and since Mar. 1, 1894, has with Alfred Carr, conducted the insurance agency of Carr Brothers. President Yeatman Realty Co.; secretary and general manager Manufacturers' Equipment Co.; director United Elevator and Grain Co. Was president of Carr-McGrew Scale Co., 1901-02. Member Merchants' Exchange. Democrat. Episcopalian. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, Meramec Canoe, St. Francis Hunting and Fishing. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office: 204 N. 3d St. Residence: Glencoe, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARR, Joseph Samuel, cashier Chippewa Bank; born, Howard Co., Mo., Nov. 11, 1877; son of Dr. Washington Means and Bettie (Rice) Carr; educated in common schools and later became a student of normal school at Kirksville and at Stanberry, Mo.; unmarried. At seventeen years of age became connected with the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank, of Center, Mo., advancing to position of cashier at age of nineteen; came to St. Louis, 1906, and organized the Chippewa Bank, of which has since been cashier and member board of directors. Democrat. Member Christian (Disciples) Church. Mason; member Knights of Pythias, B. P. O. Elks. Clubs: St. Louis, Mercantile, Liederkranz, Bankers'. Recreation: hunting. Office: 3801 S. Broadway. Residence: 3635 Humphrey St.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARR, Peyton T., president Kehlor Flour Mills Co.; born, St. Louis, Nov. 24, 1864; son of Alfred and Angelica C. (Yeatman) Carr; educated in public schools, Smith Academy and Washington University, graduating in first class in the Manual Training School of the university; married, St. Louis, Nov. 15, 1893, Josephine Kehlor; three children: James Kehlor, Peyton T., Jr., Jessie Josephine. Began active career in machine shops of Frisco Ry., continuing for two years; then joined father in real estate business as junior partner of the firm; elected vice president and general manager Citizens Insurance Co. of Missouri, 1895, remaining with the company until sold out to Hartford Insurance Co. of Connecticut in 1898; president United Elevator and Grain Co., March, 1900-Sept. 17, 1907; president Kehlor Flour Mills Co. since 1906, plant having a capacity of 3,000 barrels per day. Member St. Louis Merchants' Exchange, Business Men's League. Democrat. Episcopalian. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, St. Louis Country, Bellerive, Racquet, City. Recreations: golf and motoring. Office: 402 Chamber of Commerce. Residence: 62 Vandeventer Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARR, Thomas Percy, lawyer; born, Hannibal, Mo., Mar. 27, 1871; son of Judge James and Marv (Hardy) Carr; graduated St. Louis High School, 1889; St. Louis University, A.B., 1891; St. Louis Law School (Washington University), LL.B., 1892; married, Cripple Creek, Colo., July 15, 1902, Zola Tucker; one daughter: Eleanor. Began practice, 1892, member of law firm of Carr & Carr, continuing two years; member of firm of Martin, Bass & Carr, 1894-95; again member of Carr & Carr, since 1896. Member St. Louis Bar Association, St. Louis Law Library Association. Democrat. Presbyterian; president board of trustees Richmond Heights Presbyterian Church. Served three years in Co. G, First Regiment, National Guard of Missouri (Branch Guards), 1892-95. Recreation: horseback riding. Office: Roe Bldg., 510 Pine St. Residence: Bellevue Ave. and Arlington Boul., Richmond Heights.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARROLL, John Bryce, lawyer; born, St. Louis, Sept. 13, 1870; son of Capt. John W. and Belle (Castleman) Carroll; educated in Stoddard School, Foster's Academy, Manual Training School and Benton College of Law; married, Kansas City, Mo., June 12, 1895, Mary J. Baltz; children: John Bryce, Lee Grant. Engaged in general practice of law in St. Louis since May, 1899, with Lee W. Grant and Pierre B. Kennedy, in law firm of Grant, Carroll & Kennedy. Democrat. Presbyterian. Office: Carleton Bldg. Residence: St. Louis Co.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARROLL, John Haydock, lawyer; born in Erie Co., N. Y., June 27, 1857; son of Michael and Margaret Carroll; educated in Quaker schools in Ohio, 1880; married, Lynchburg, OH., 1880. Priscilla Woodrow; children: John H., Jr., Frances M. Admitted to Ohio bar, December, 1880, and to Missouri bar at Unionville, Mo., 1881; engaged in practice ever since; was prosecuting attorney of Putnam Co., Mo., 1883-89; Since 1899 in practice in St. Louis; now general attorney for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy R. R. Co., Northern Pacific Ry. Co. and the Great Northern Ry. Co. Also president of the Vinsonhaler Shoe Co., wholesale dealers in fine shoes. Democrat; was colonel on the staff of Governor D. R. Francis. Delegate to Democratic National conventions, 1888 and 1900; alternate-at-large to the Democratic National Convention, 1892, and has been delegate to many state conventions. Member Missouri State Bar Association. Mason (32°). Clubs: Cabanne, St. Louis Field, Glen Echo Country, Mercantile, St. Louis, Noonday. Office: New National Bank of Commerce Bldg. Residence: 5465 Delmar Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARROLL, Joseph Charles, retired; born, New York City, Mar. 25, 1847; son of John and Mary (Farrell) Carroll; educated in Rhode Island public schools; married, Georgetown, D. C, Feb. 10, 1874, Eleanor Agatha Simms; six children: Joseph C, Jr., John H., Andrew J., Agnes M. (Mrs. Thomas D. Cannon), M. Eleanora, Ruth. Was business manager of the Evening News, Norfolk, Va., also engaged in the real estate and insurance business there. Elected supreme trustee, Catholic Knights of America, 1891, supreme secretary, 1895-1901; removed to St. Louis from Norfolk, Va. 1900; elected, 1901, and re-elected, July, 1905, supreme treasurer, Catholic Knights of America, so continuing until 1909, when retired. Catholic. Residence: 5642 Maple Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARROLL, Winfield S., president Forbes Bros. Tea & Spice Co.; born, Dayton, O., June 15, 1848; son of John Carroll; public school education; married, Aug. 11, 1886, Miss Lizzie A. McDonald, of Boston, Mass. (who died Mar. 10, 1911). Began as a traveling salesman, at St. Louis, 1878; became connected with Forbes Bros. Tea and Spice Co., 1878, of which was vice president, 1911-12; president since January, 1912. Independent Republican. Protestant. Member United Commercial Travelers' Association. Office: 112-116 Locust St. Residence: 4125 McPherson Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARSON, Gibbon William, physician; born in Washington Co., Mo., July 8, 1854; son of James A. and Mary H. (Wingo) Carson; educated in public schools of Washington Co., Mo.; Bellevue College, Caledonia, Mo., 1872; Westminster College, Fulton, Mo., A.B., 1874 (Sc.D., 1903); Missouri Medical College, St. Louis, M.D., 1878; married, Fulton, Mo., Oct. 2, 1879, Bettie N. King; one son: Gibbon King Carson (died in infancy). Assistant in City Hospital and Asylum, City Dispensary physician and secretary of Board of Health, 1878-85. Engaged in general practice in St. Louis from graduation. Member American Medical Association, Missouri State Medical Association, St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri Medical College Alumni Association, Westminster College Alumni. Democrat. Trustee Grand Avenue Presbyterian Church. Mason; Past Master Blue Lodge, Past Grand High Priest Royal Arch Chapter, Past Illustrious Master, Past Master Royal and Select Masters, Past Grand Commander Knights Templar. Recreation: baseball. Office: 301 Century Bldg. Residence: 4104 W. Pine Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARSON, Norman Bruce, physician; born, Somerset, Pa., Nov. 9, 1844; son of James O. and Barbara (Bruce) Carson; educated in private schools, Washington University and St. Louis Medical College, M.D., 1868; married, St. Louis, Apr. 23, 1888, Susan Reese Glasgow; one son, William B. Since graduation, March, 1868, continuously engaged in general practice of medicine and surgery in St. Louis. Member American Surgical Association, American Genito-Urological Association, International Surgical Association, St. Louis Surgical Society, American Medical Association, Missouri State Medical Association, St. Louis Medical Society. Club: University. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office: Humboldt Bldg. Residence: 4379 Westminster Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARTER, Charles Haynie, real estate and building; born, Como, Panola Co., Miss., Dec. 27, 1860; son of Richard Thomas and Sarah J. (Gilchrist) Carter; educated in private schools, Panola Co., to 1876; married, St. Louis, June 5, 1906. After leaving school assisted on plantations until 1882. Began active career at Fort Smith, Ark., and points in Texas, engaging in real estate business, 1882-85; then purchased timber lands and operated saw mill in partnership with his brother-in-law, W. C. Swoope, of Memphis, Tenn., in Lincoln and Desha counties, Ark., 1885-90; with E. E. Meacham conducted real estate business at Memphis, Tenn., 1890-93; removed to St Louis, June 1, 1893, and dissolved partnership, 1896. Conducted general realty and building alone until 1903; partner in firm of Carter-Cowen-Evers Realty Co., 1903-06; treasurer Fraternal Home Hotel Co. during World's Fair, 1903-05; organized Como Realty, Financial & Building Co., 1906, and subdivided and sold tract called King's Heights; now owner Shirley Hills and Maple Place subdivisions, doing business as Charles H. Carter. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange. Democrat. Episcopalian. Member Knights of Pythias, Knights of Khorassan, Mississippi Society of St. Louis. Recreations: automobiling and hunting. Office: 309 Liggett Bldg. Residence: 913 Bayard Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARTER, Edwin Farnham, business manager; born, Farmington, Mo., May 24, 1877; son of William and Maria (McILvaine) Carter; graduated St. Louis Manual Training School, 1875; Washington University; married, St. Louis, May 12, 1906, Mary Ida Bull; children: Edwin F., Jr., Jesse Mcl. Employed July, 1910, by Bell Telephone Co. of Missouri, at St. Louis, and served, successively, as inspector and chief clerk in construction department, solicitor in right of way department, St. Louis canvassing agent for long distance lines, contract agent and commercial manager; resigned, May 15, 1911, and entered employ of Eames & Young, architects, as general business manager. Member American Society Engineering Contractors, Phi Delta Theta fraternity. Clubs: Noonday, St. Louis, City, Missouri Athletic. Recreations: literature and walking. Office: 1702 Wright Bldg. Residence: 3955 Connecticut Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARTER, Howard, physician; born at Monkstown, County Antrim, Ireland, July 5, 1858; son of John T. and Grace (Larkin) Carter; early education in public schools in England, and Roxbury High School, Boston, Mass.; M.D., Beaumont Hospital Medical College, St. Louis, 1893; post-graduate work at Johns Hopkins Medical School, Baltimore, under Dr. Osler, 1901; unmarried. Commercial traveler for wholesale dry goods house of Boston for ten years before taking medical course. Spent one year in St. Louis City Hospital, and five months in St. Louis Female Hospital; was appointed milk inspector by Mayor Walbridge, coroner's physician under Dr. R. M. Funkhouser, 1900-04; since 1899, engaged in private practice at Webster Groves, specializing in internal medicine. Member St.Louis County Medical Society, Medical Society of City Hospital Alumni. Scottish Rite Mason; Master of the Kadosh, 1910-11. Office and Residence: Webster Groves, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARTER, John Scott, real estate; born, St. Louis, Aug. 1, 1871; son of Frank and Fannie Stone (Scott) Carter; educated in Smith Academy, St. Louis, and in University of Virginia, 1890-91; married, St. Louis, Nov. 5, 1896, Josephine H. Lane; children: John Scott, Jr., and Frances Lane. Engaged in real estate business as member of firm of Carter & McLanaban, 1891-96; with McNair & Harris, real estate, 1896-1902; real estate officer Germania Trust Co., September, 1902, to February, 1904; real estate officer Commonwealth Trust Co., February, 1904, to August, 1905; now treasurer and director McNair & Harris Realty Co., real estate and financial agents. Independent in politics. Episcopalian. Club: Racquet. Office: 8th and Locust Sts. Residence: 4944 Lindell Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARTER, Lemuel Ray, grain broker; born, Mexico, Mo., July 29, 1874; son of T. W. and Mary L. (Lupton) Carter; graduated from Stoddard (public) School, 1883, Smith Academy, 1894; Ph.B., Sheffield Scientific School, Yale University, 1897; married, St. Louis, 1902, May Dillon; children: Elizabeth, Mary and Margaret (twins). In business as grain broker since 1897. Member St. Louis Merchants' Exchange. Methodist. Clubs: St. Louis Country, Racquet, City. Office: Pierce Bldg. Residence: 5041 Waterman Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARTER, Thomas Whitman, grain commission; born in Callaway Co., Mo., Feb. 28, 1849; son of Lemuel and Clarinda (Hisey) Carter ; educated at State University of Missouri; married, Mexico, Mo., Oct. 8, 1870, Mary Louise Lupton; children: Lemuel R., Clayton Le-Roy, Clara Louise (Mrs. John W. Higgins, of Worcester, Mass.), Thomas W., Jr. After leaving university taught school, farmed, and was county surveyor of Audrain Co., six years; civil engineer for two years; in mercantile business at Mexico, Mo., for several years; in grain business as member of firm of Carter & Hisey; came to St. Louis, 1881, was with Billingsley & Nanson (commission) two years; member of Fraley-Carter Commission Co., 1883-88, Carter & Bowman, 1888-98; since 1898 in business alone. Director Schultz Belting Co. Member St. Louis Merchants' Exchange. Episcopalian. Clubs: Commercial, St. Louis, St. Louis Country. Recreations: golf, fishing and hunting. Office: 313-316 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 5 Portland Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARTER, William Francis, banker, lawyer; born, Farmington, Mo., Oct. 30, 1867; Son of William and Maria (McIlvaine) Carter; educated in public schools at Farmington, Mo.; Smith Academy, St. Louis, 1882-86; Law Department of University of Michigan, LL.B., 1890; married, Ferguson, Mo., Nov. 15, 1893, Grace Thoroughman; two children: Emmet Thoroughman and Martha Wright. Continuously engaged in practice of law since 1890; from Jan. 1, 1893, until his death, Dec. 25, 1896, was in partnership with late Thomas Thoroughman under firm name of Thoroughman & Carter; from Dec. 1, 1897, until Jan. 1, 1905, was in partnership with Arthur N. Sager (former circuit attorney) as Carter A Sager; then senior member of Carter, Collins, Jones & Barker (Charles Cummings Collins, William T. Jones and Harry C. Barker); now vice president Mercantile Trust Co., Mercantile National Bank. Member American and Missouri State Bar associations. Republican. Mason and Odd Fellow. Club: Noonday. Offices: 721 Locust St. and Third National Bank Bldg. Residence: 5846 Cabanne Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARTON, De Smet, bond and stock broker; born, St Louis, Sept. 28, 1882; son of John F. and Helen A. (Benoist) Carton and descended on maternal side of ancestry dating back to time of Louis XIV, France; educated at St Vincent's Seminary, St. Louis University, and Manual Training 8chool; married Dorothy Shapleigh, of St. Louis, Feb. 28, 1911; one son: Benoist. Was with National Bank of Commerce, 1900-05, since in bond and brokerage business. Member Missouri Historical Society. Club: St. Louis Country. Recreation: golf. Office: 502, 509 Olive St. Residence: 19 N. Taylor St.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARTON, J. Benoist, broker in stocks and bonds; born, Utica, N. Y., July 10, 1878; son of John F. and Helen A. (Benoist) Carton; educated in St Louis University, Smith Academy, and Cornell University; married, Kansas City, Mo., 1901, Julia Fay Hurt; children: Julia Fay, Helen Benoist and Mary Elizabeth. Began business career with A. G. Edwards & Co., and was afterward for four years with the St. Louis Union Trust Co., in various capacities, until November, 1904, then with Tracy & Co., as bond man, until Feb. 1, 1906; since member firm of Carton & Carton, stock brokers. Member St. Louis Stock Exchange. Member Delta Chi Chapter of Delta Kappa Epsilon. Roman Catholic. Clubs: Noonday, Bellerive Country. Recreations: motoring and aquatic sports. Office: 502 La Salle Bldg. Residence: 4328 Westminster Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CARTWRIGHT, Hugh Francis, first vice president The Banner Buggy Co.; born, Collierville, Tenn., June 11, 1877; son of Monroe Giddings and Laura (Cross) Cartwright; educated in Collierville College and under private tutelage; married, Mexico, Mo., Oct. 2, 1909, Stella Robertson; one daughter: Mariella Robertson. At the age of twenty became connected with The Banner Buggy Co., manufacturers of vehicles, with which has since been continuously identified; passed through various positions and is now vice president and general manager of the company. Member St. Louis Manufacturers' and Exporters' Association (executive board), Business Men's League. Democrat. Presbyterian. Member Masonic Order. Club: Missouri Athletic. Recreations: hunting, fishing, tennis and all outdoor sports. Office: Main and Rutger Sts. Residence: 5649 Cabanne Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


Hon. Sherrard Clemens
Mr. Clemens was the son of Dr. James W. Clemens, and was born in Wheeling, Virginia, April 28, 1826. He received a thorough home training in the rudimentary principles of an English education, and was sent to Washington College, Pennsylvania, from which he graduated A.B. in the class of 1840. He studied law in Wheeling and was admitted to the bar in 1843. He became eminent as an advocate and was a successful practitioner. He entered politics and was elected to the Congress of the United States as a Democrat in 1852, and was re-elected in 1857. He was a man of brilliant parts; was a great debater, and was one of the most attractive and entertaining public speakers of his time. He was seriously wounded in a duel with O. Jennings Wise, the eldest son of Governor Henry A. Wise, of Virginia. He moved to Missouri and died at St. Louis in 1874. He was regarded as an eminent lawyer while he resided in Virginia.
[Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]


Corby, Jerome Bauduy
Starting out to provide for his own support by working through vacation periods while still a schoolboy, Jerome Bauduy Corby has steadily advanced until he is now president and treasurer of the Corby Supply Company, a business of considerable importance in the commercial circles of St. Louis. He was born in this city May 21, 1875, a son of Francis Patrick Corby, whose birth occurred at Economy, Pennsylvania, on the 12th of May, 1821, and of Josephine Angelique (Robidoux) Corby, who was born at Savannah, Missouri, October 1, 1843. The mother was a daughter of Felix and Jane Catherine (Smith) Robidoux, the former born in St. Louis, May 4, 1820, and the latter in Nashville, Tennessee, March 10, 1818. Felix Robidoux was a son of Joseph Robidoux (II), who was the founder of St. Joseph, Missouri. Joseph Robidoux (I) came to St. Louis in 1761 from Canada and was very active in shaping public affairs in the embryo city. His home occupied the block fronting the levee between Walnut and Elm streets, and from that time to the present representatives of the Robidoux family have remained in St. Louis and have taken prominent part in her public affairs.
Jerome Bauduy Corby was educated in private and public schools and began his active business career in vacation time with the firm of D. Crawford & Company in 1887. In 1889 he became connected with the railway supply business of Andrew Warren, with whom he continued until the latter retired, at which time Mr. Corby secured a position with the National Tube Works and was thus a factor in the business circles of St. Louis until that firm sold out to the Crane Company. He continued with the successors until November, 1903, when he was made manager of the railway supply business of C. A. Thompson and occupied the position for four years. In March, 1907, he organized the Corby Supply Company, of which he is president and treasurer, and through the intervening period of thirteen years a business of substantial proportions has been developed. He is thoroughly familiar with every phase of the railway supply business and has always manifested the utmost thoroughness as well as energy and enterprise throughout his business career. He is also the president of the Campbell Machinery Company of Joplin, Missouri, and is a director of the Ball Ice Machine Company and a director of the Newmarket Bank. His interests have thus become important and extensive and his life work has been crowned with substantial success. He has never allowed obstacles or difficulties to bar his path but has advanced steadily as the years have gone by, overcoming all difficulties by determined purpose and ever recognizing the fact that when one avenue of opportunity seemed closed he could carve out another path whereby to reach the desired goal. During the World war he devoted much of his time to supplying the manufacturers of war material with equipment. He was offered and accepted a position in the ordnance department shortly before the armistice was signed, carrying with it the rank of major, but was never called to active service in that connection.
On the 9th of June, 1899, Mr. Corby was married in St. Louis, Missouri, to Miss Ann M. Woods, a daughter of John M. and Ann Woods. She was left an orphan when but three years of age and was reared by an aunt, Miss Mary E. Tucker, a daughter of C. L. Tucker, who in 1867 was president of the Merchants Exchange and was one of the pioneer flour mill operators in St. Louis. Mr. and Mrs. Corby have become parents of two children: Lieutenant Frank S. Corby, twenty years of age, now attending the University of Michigan; and Betty, fourteen years of age, attending Mary Institute.
In his political views Mr. Corby has always been a stalwart republican and keeps well informed on the questions of the day, so that he is able to support his position by intelligent argument, yet he has never been an office seeker, preferring that his public duty shall be done as a private citizen. He belongs to the Glen Echo Country Club, the Missouri Athletic Association, the St. Louis Railway Club1, the Rotary Club, the Engineers Club, the St. Louis Auto Club and the Chicago Auto Club and he is likewise a member of the St. Louis Real Estate Exchange. His interests and his activities have long been broad and varied, bringing him into touch with many people, and the esteem in which he is uniformly held indicates the possession of sterling characteristics.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

CORBY, Jerome Bauduy, president Corby Supply Co., railway supplies; born, St. Louis, May 21, 1875; son of Frank P. and Josephine A. (Robidoux) Corby; educated St. Louis public schools; married, St. Louis, June 9, 1899, Ann M. Woods; two children: Frank S. and Betty B. Began active career, in vacation, with D. Crawford & Co., 1887; entered railway supply business with Andrew Warren, 1889, continuing until he retired; became connected with the National Tube Works, 1896, and remained with this concern until it sold out to the Crane Co. and with the latter until November, 1903; then was made manager of C. A. Thompson's railway supply business; organized the Corby Supply Co., of which has been president and manager since Mar. 1, 1907; also southwestern agent of the Ashton Valve Co., Hayden & Corbett Chair Co., Pittsburgh Steel Products Co., Reading Chain Block Co. and southwestern manager Chicago Pneumatic Tool Co. Republican. Catholic. Member Order of Kokoal, Business Men's League. Clubs: Traffic, Missouri Athletic. Recreations: motoring and athletic sports. Office: 1822-1824 Locust St. Residence: 5428 Clemens Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


Otto Cramer is identified with one of the leading commercial establishments of St. Louis as the treasurer of the Carleton Dry Goods company and his life record illustrates what may be accomplished through individual effort when intelligence and ambition are the guiding spirit of energy and industry. From point to point he has advanced in his business career as the result of his close application and there is much that is inspiring in his record. He was born in Hermann, Gasconade county, Missouri, on the 13th of October, 1847. His father, Edward Cramer, was a native of Saxony, Germany, and came to America in 1833. He entered upon the practice of medicine at Hermann, Missouri, as one of the first representatives of the profession there. He had acquired his education in the medical college at Gottingen, Saxony, and after reaching Missouri took a prominent part in promoting the pioneer development of Hermann as well as in ministering to the needs of the inhabitants along professional lines. There he reared his family, including eight sons, all of whom became prominently connected with business interests in Missouri. He died in the year 1878 and his wife has also passed away.
Otto Cramer was the third in order of birth in a family of eleven children, five of whom are yet living. He acquired a district school education and afterward attended the St. Louis University up to the time of the Civil war. He was also a student in the Jones Commercial College and in 1862 entered the employ of C. Helm, a general merchant of Boonville, Missouri, leaving that place, however, when Marmaduke made his famous raid in that section, at which time he came to St. Louis. He became associated with the Jameson-Cotting Dry Goods company, in 1863, with which he continued until 1872 when the company dissolved. At that time he accepted an important position with the S. C. Davis Dry Goods company and remained with that house until the company retired in January 1896. Acquiring an interest in the Wear & Boogher Dry Goods company at that date he has since been associated with the business, for the company was succeeded by the Carleton Dry Goods company of which he is now the treasurer. The latter was incorporated in 1899 and today controls one of the most extensive commercial establishments of the west. Mr. Cramer acquired stock in the business and in 1897 was elected a director, while later he was chosen treasurer. He also became a member of the directorate of the International Bank and has become identified with other business concerns which have figured in the development and upbuilding of St. Louis. Throughout his life he has displayed undaunted enterprise and industry and has ever recognized the fact that when one avenue of opportunity seems closed he can carve out other paths whereby to reach the desired goal.
In September, 1872, Mr. Cramer was united in marriage in St. Louis to Miss Sophia Ludewig, a daughter of Johannes Ludewig, a hat and cap dealer. Mr. and Mrs. Cramer have become the parents of a son and three daughters: John, who is associated with the Carleton Dry Goods company; Dorothy, the wife of J. V. Henley, city representative for the Blumenthal Leather company; Ottilia, the wife of R. A. Kasting; and Elizabeth, wife of Chester L. Harvey. The daughters were educated at Mary Institute.
Mr. Cramer holds membership in the Liederkranz Club and is a member of St. Margaret's Roman Catholic church. His business career has been marked by steady advancement and a ready recognition and utilization of opportunities that others have passed heedlessly by, so that he is now a leading figure in the mercantile circles of the city.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

CRAMER, Otto, dry goods merchant; born, Hermann. Gasconade Co., Mo., Oct. 13. 1847; son of Dr. Edward and Margaret Cramer; educated public schools at Hermann to age of thirteen; St. Louis University; Jones Commercial College; married, St. Louis, September, 1872, Sophia Ludewig; four children: John, Dorothy (Mrs. J. V. Hanley), Ottillia, Elizabeth (Mrs. Chester L. Harvey). Entered employ of C. Heim, general merchant, of Boonville, Mo., 1863; next with the Jameson Cotting Dry Goods Co., continuing until the company dissolved, 1872; with the C. S. Davis Dry Goods Co., 1872-96; purchased an interest in the Wear & Boogher Dry Goods Co., predecessors of the Carleton Dry Goods Co., and is a director of the latter; also director International Bank. Club: Liederkranz. Recreations: athletic sports. Office: 12th and Washington Sts. Residence: 3626 Flora Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


Rev. Patrick Paul Crane, pastor of the Holy Name Catholic church in St. Louis, his native city, was born January 13, 1872, a son of William and Margaret (Lehane) Crane, who were natives of Ireland but came to the United States in young manhood and young womanhood. They settled in St. Louis where they were subsequently married and here resided to the time of their death.
Patrick Paul Crane was educated in St. Bridget's and St. Malachy's parochial schools and also in Christian Brothers College in which he pursued his classical course. He later entered the Kenrick Seminary and on the completion of his course in theology was ordained to the priesthood in June, 1899, Archbishop Kain officiating.
Father Crane's first assignment made him assistant to Father Tohyn, pastor of St. Mary and Joseph's church, where he labored for six years. On the expiration of that period he was sent by Archbishop Glennon to Washington, D. C, to attend the Apostolic Mission House to prepare for mission work in the diocese. For five years he was engaged in work of that character and in June, 1910, was appointed pastor of St. Lawrence O’Toole's church to succeed the Rev. M. S. Brennan. He remained in that charge for nearly ten years and on the 2d of February 1920, was appointed pastor of the Church of the Holy Name. While his labors in this parish have covered but a brief period he has already done excellent work in the further development of the parish and in the further entrenchment of the cause in the hearts of the people.
Father Crane is a member of the Seminary board in St. Louis and also president of the Catholic high school board. He is a representative as well of the Catholic orphanage board and is an ex-state chaplain of the Knights of Columbus. He served as a member of the executive board of the National Catholic War Council in connection with the war relief work of the Catholic church. His activities have thus covered a broad field and his labors have at all times been far-reaching and resultant.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Thomas Bouldin CrewsThomas Bouldin Crews, a prominent member of the St. Louis bar, is a representative of one of the oldest and most honored Missouri families representing its democratic aristocracy and its aristocratic democracy. He was born September 19, 1860, in the home of his maternal grandfather in Franklin county, Missouri, although his parents at that time were residing in Saline county, this state. His father, Colonel Thomas W. B. Crews, was a native of Henry county, Virginia, born in 1832, and was a youth of fourteen years when in 1846 he came to Missouri, settling in Howard county. He was graduated from Union College at Schenectady, New York, and afterward took up the study of law under Judge John C. Wright of Schenectady, and under Hon. W. B. Napton of Saline county, Missouri, who was later Judge of the supreme court. In January, 1855, Colonel Crews entered upon the practice of law at Marshall, Missouri, and so continued until the outbreak of the Civil war when he raised a company for the Confederacy and entered the service. He participated in the battles of Boonville, Carthage, Wilson's creek, Fort Scott, Dry Wood and Lexington, and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel of the Second Cavalry "for bravery in action." In 1862 he was captured while on a sick bed at his home and sent to St. Louis as a prisoner of war. He was soon afterward paroled, however, being the first paroled soldier of the state. Following the close of hostilities he took up his permanent abode in Franklin county, and there remained until his death in 1891. His long years of active practice brought him an enviable reputation as a lawyer, orator and citizen, and in 1875 he was called to represent his district in framing the constitutional convention of the state. His grandfather had served as a colonel in the Virginia militia when George III was king of England, and the family had long been connected with the history of the Old Dominion ere the removal was made from Virginia to Missouri. The mother of Thomas Bouldin Crews was in her maidenhood Virginia Jeffries, the daughter of C. S. Jeffries, one of the prominent citizens and pioneers from Franklin county, to which place he had removed from Virginia.
The youthful days of Thomas B. Crews to the age of eighteen years were spent on the home farm with the usual training and experience of farm bred boys, who represent the higher class of Missouri's agriculturists. He attended the public schools until he had mastered the branches of learning therein taught and afterward continued his education in an eastern academy. He started out in the business world' in a clerical position in the office of the circuit clerk of Franklin county, and improved his leisure time by studying law privately until he was able to enter the St. Louis Law School. Following his graduation he practiced for a time in his home county and then removed to St. Louis. He has remained in the general practice of law and has accurate and comprehensive knowledge of many branches of the profession. His mind is analytical, logical and inductive, and his clear reasoning is manifest in every case which he presents to the court. The precision and care with which he prepares his cases is always manifest and his defense of his position is well-nigh unassailable. It was the members of the bar of his own political party who nominated him to the office of Judge of probate court of St. Louis in 1902 and his election followed. He served with great credit and distinction but met defeat in the landslide that involved his party for the succeeding election. He then resumed the private practice of law and has won a most creditable success. The court records bear testimony to many notable court victories he has gained especially in litigation relating to real estate.
In 1889 Mr. Crews was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Moore of St. Louis, and they have one child, Thomas B., Jr., who was graduated from Cornell University in 1914. He volunteered for service in the World war in May, 1917, attended the officers' training camp at Fort Riley, Kansas, was commissioned first lieutenant of the Three Hundred and Forty-second Field Artillery, Eighty-ninth Division in August, 1917, and went overseas as such in March, 1918. He participated in the battles of St. Mihiel and the Argonne as acting captain in command of his battery and after the signing of the armistice continued in command of his battery in the Army of Occupation on the Rhine, during which time he was promoted to the rank of captain of A Battery, Three Hundred and Forty-second Field Artillery, Eighty-ninth Division, U. S. A., in recognition of his service during the campaign. He returned to the United States in June, 1919, and was honorably discharged at Camp Funston. He is now engaged in business in New York city.
Judge Crews has held no public office save that of probate judge except by the appointment of the supreme court when he served as a member of the Board of Law Examiners of Missouri from 1907 until 1910. He has spent much time in travel having recently returned from a trip of several months in South America. Of him, one who knew him well said, "the title of judge is given him instinctively as he looks, acts and talks the part." Judicial in the simplest matters, but without pomposity or arrogance; weighty without heaviness, serious without solemnity, dignified but genial; knowing him is to admire and trust him. Respected by his profession for his learning and power of analysis, he is one of its most popular members also, by reason of his courtesy, kindness and willingness to serve others.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Charles Cunliff, a prominent building contractor of St. Louis whose activities in this direction make heavy demands upon his time, yet finds opportunity for cooperation in many civic matters of broad scope and value, and he can be counted upon in support of all those interests which make for the uplift of the individual and the benefit of the community at large.
Mr. Cunliff was born in Manchester, England, February 12, 1861, and is a son of William and Elizabeth (Redfern) Cunliff. The father was born in Manchester, England, and became extensively engaged in the tanning of leather, conducting a business that was established by his father. He continued a resident of his native land until 1883, there passing away at the age of fifty-three years. His wife was a daughter of Benjamin Redfern, a leading contractor of Manchester, England. Following her husband's death she came to the United States in 1894 to make her home with her son.
Charles Cunliff spent the first twenty-two years of his life in his native country and in 1883 crossed the Atlantic to New York, spending one year in the eastern metropolis, after which he resided for one year in Boston. He then made his way westward to Chicago where he continued for a time, but thirty years ago came to St. Louis. He was associated with the Rice-Stix Dry Goods Company for seven years when he resigned to take up the business of building and contracting which he has successfully followed for a period of twenty-three years, during which time he has erected more than five hundred homes and buildings in St. Louis, over two hundred of which are in the Cabanne district. He is now specializing in the construction of depots for railroad companies.
In 1888 Mr. Cunliff was married to Miss Elizabeth J. Lewis and they have become the parents of eight children: Nelson, who is commissioner of parks and recreation for St. Louis and has done much notable work for the city, being mentioned at length on another page of this volume; Charles J., who is superintendent of the Zoo in Forest Park; Benjamin L., who is connected with the Barrett Company of Tennessee; Harold S., who is assistant superintendent of the Pioneer Cooperage Company of St. Louis; William H., who is with the Unit Construction Company; Ruth, at home; and Violet and Albert, Jr., who are attending school, the last named being a high school pupil. The family record is a notable one inasmuch as Charles, Benjamin, Harold and William all volunteered for service in the World war, joining the army as privates and returning either as first or second lieutenants, a record of which the parents certainly have every reason to be proud.
Mr. Cunliff has ever been interested in the cause of education and put forth every effort to provide his children with good opportunities in that direction. He has been particularly interested in maintaining a high standard of instruction in the graded and high schools and is active in the Parents Club for the Clark and Soldan schools. He belongs to the City Club and fraternally is connected with Tuscan Lodge, A. F. & A. M.; Kilwinning Chapter, R. A. M.; St. Aldemar Commandery, K. T.; and Moolah Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He is a charter member of the Maple Avenue Methodist Episcopal church, which he has served as treasurer and trustee. In politics he is independent, supporting the men whom he regards as best qualified for the offices sought. He is keenly interested in civic matters and is active in support of all interests pertaining to the good of St. Louis.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.