Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" C "

CASE, Clarence Theodore, lawyer; born, Chillicothe, Mo., Feb. 11, 1874; son of Henry and Matilda (Hoffman) Case; graduated from Chillicothe High School, 1892; attended Academic Department of Missouri State University, 1893-94; principal Second Ward School, Chillicothe, 1895-97; student St. Louis Law School, 1897-99, LL.B., 1899; married, Kirkwood, Mo., Sept. 16, 1907, Alice M. Kitchen; one son: Theodore Jackson. In practice of law at St. Louis since June, 1899. Member St. Louis Bar Association, St. Louis Law Library Association. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason. Clubs: Mercantile, City, Public Question. Recreation: books. Office: Third National Bank Bldg. Residence: 5914 Clemens Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CASEY, John Patrick, manufacturer; born, St. Louis, Apr. 4, 1874; son of John and Ellen (Brown) Casey; educated in St. Louis public schools to 1885; took electrical engineering course, International Correspondence School, Scranton, Pa.; married, St. Louis, June 15, 1902, Mary E. Durkin; five children: John P., Jr., James, Ellen, Joseph and Marie. In employ Edison Electric Co., 1886-88; with Porter Electric Construction Co., 1888-90; with stock and sales department Southern Electric Supply Co., 1890-92; with St. Louis Electric Supply Co., 1892-94. Engaged with different contractors as inside wireman, 1894-96; superintendent construction with Singer Auto Fire Alarm Co., 1896-98; then city and traveling salesman St. Louis Electric Supply Co., 1898-1901; traveling salesman, and subsequently sales manager Commercial Electric Supply Co., 1901-11; sales manager Maloney Electric Co., 1911-12; now president and general manager Eddy Arc Lamp Windlass Co., manufacturers, and vice president Guarantee Electric Co. Democrat. Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus. Office: 816 Spruce St. Residence: 223 Cedar St., Webster Groves, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CASPARI, Charles Edward, chemist; born. Baltimore, Apr. 9, 1875; son of Charles and Leslie (Heinichen) Caspari; educated in public schools of Baltimore, and Johns Hopkins University, degree of B.A., 1896, Ph.D., 1900; married, Baltimore, 1903, Emilie Ganz; three children: Florence L., Charles E., Jr., Emilie C. Instructor in chemistry, Columbia University, New York, 1900-1901; research chemist, Mallinckrodt Chemical Works, St. Louis, 1901-03; professor chemistry, St. Louis College of Pharmacy, since 1903; chief chemist Meyer Bros. Drug Co. since 1904. Co-editor Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. Member American Chemical Society, American Pharmaceutical Association. Democrat. Unitarian. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, City (St. Louis), Chemists (New York). Office: 2108 Locust St.  Residence: 4060 Westminster Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CATES, John Mullanphy, real estate; born, St. Louis, Feb. 11, 1864; son of Joseph Byron and Catherine Jane (Clemens) Cates; graduated St. Louis University, 1883; attended St. Mary's (Kan.) College and Georgetown College (Washington, D. C); married, St. Louis, Oct. 11, 1886, Elizabeth Patterson La Motte; children: Joseph Byron (deceased), John La Motte, Lucille Mullanphy (Mrs. Francis P. Hardaway), Kathleen Glendower, Joseph Soulard, Edith Elizabeth, Harriet Lane. After leaving college was ranching in West Texas, then came to St. Louis and engaged in real estate business, Apr. 15, 1890, as partner in the firm of Giraldin Bros. & Cates until Oct. 1, 1905, when the firm was dissolved; since in business alone as real estate and financial agent under the firm name of J. Mullanphy Cates & Co.; ex-president of the Mullanphy Emigrant Relief Fund; director of the Trust Co. of St. Louis Co. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange. Member Missouri Council Knights of Columbus; ex-president Alumni Association of St. Louis University. Catholic. Democrat. Club: Noonday. Favorite recreations: hunting, fishing and golf. Office: 216 Wainwright Bldg. Residence: 4280 Washington Ave. Summer Residence: Normandy, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CATHEY, James D., manufacturer; born near Columbia, Tenn., Sept. 4, 1872; son of James R. and Laura C. (Sowell) Cathey; self-educated; married, Newport, Ky., 1899, Louise W. Helm. Was engaged with brothers in lumber business in Western Tennessee until 1891, when came to St. Louis to enter the buggy business. In 1893 went to Columbus, O., to enter employ of Russell E. Gardner; returned to St. Louis with him when he moved his vehicle manufacturing industries to this city in 1897; with him as general manager of sales and advertising until 1907; since president Regal Buggy Co. Mason. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, St. Louis Chess. Recreations: fishing and chess. Office: 1700 N. 11th St. Residence: 1215 Amherst Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CATLIN, Daniel, retired manufacturer; born, Litchfield, Conn., Sept. 5, 1837; son of Dan and Emily E. (Merwin) Catlin; eighth in direct descent from Thomas Catlin, who settled in Connecticut from England. Came to St. Louis, 1850; educated St. Louis schools; married, St. Louis, 1872, Justina G., daughter of Henry Kayser, one of early settlers of St. Louis; children: Daniel K., Irene, Theron E., Emily (deceased). In 1859, became manager of tobacco factory established by father in 1840, which became one of the largest tobacco factories in the country; incorporated, 1876, as Catlin Tobacco Co., of which became president, until, in 1898, it was merged with American Tobacco Co.; since then has devoted attention to management of private interests, including real estate holdings, interests in banks and other important St. Louis enterprises. For over forty years director State Bank, director St. Louis Trust Co., Security Building Co.; for many years member board of directors of Art School, and has assisted materially in development of interest in art in St. Louis. Member Business Men's League. Clubs: St. Louis, University, Noonday, Commercial. Recreation: travel. Office: 603 Security Bldg. Residence: 21 Vandeventer Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CATLIN, Ephron, vice president Mechanics-American National Bank; born, Litchfield, Conn., Apr. 6, 1840; son of Dan (pioneer tobacco manufacturer in St. Louis) and Emily Esther (Merwin) Catlin; came to St. Louis in infancy, and was educated in St. Louis public schools; married, St. Louis, 1880, Camilla Kayser; children: Ephron, Emily (Mrs. Arthur Shepley). On leaving school was apprenticed to drug business, which he followed as wholesale and retail merchant until a few years ago, when retired. Elected vice president of the Mechanics-American National Bank, in 1905. Member Business Men's League. Club: St. Louis. Office: 603 Security Bldg. Residence: 15 Vandeventer Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CATLIN, Theron Ephron, ex-congressman; born, St. Louis, 1878; son of Daniel and Justina G. (Kayser) Catlin; A.B., Harvard, 1899, LL.B., 1902; unmarried. Admitted to bar, 1903, and since in practice at St. Louis. Member Missouri House of Representatives, 1907-09; member Sixty-second Congress, Eleventh Missouri District, but unseated in contest, August, 1912. Republican. Clubs: St. Louis, Racquet, University, Noonday, St. Louis Country. Office: Security Bldg.. 319 N. 4th St. Residence: 21 Vandeventer Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAULFIELD, Henry Stewart, judge; born, St. Louis, Dec. 9, 1873; son of John and Virilda (Milburn) Caulfield; educated in public schools: St. Charles College, St. Charles, Mo.; LL.B., Law Department, Washington University, 1895; married, Fannie Alice Delano, of Cuba, Mo., 1902; three children: Elizabeth, Frances, John. Admitted to Missouri bar, 1895; practiced in St. Louis; attorney Lincoln Trust Co., 1897-1904; candidate for Congress, November, 1904; elected to Congress, November, 1906, serving 1907-09; excise commissioner City of St. Louis, April, 1909-September, 1910; since judge Court of Appeals; term expires Jan. 1, 1913. Republican. Presbyterian. Member St. Louis Bar Association, Law Library Association. Club: Mercantile. Chambers: 1707, 112 N. 4th 8t. Residence: 6253 Washington Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAULFIELD, William Edward, real estate; born, St. Louis, June 28, 1871; son of John and Virilda (Milburn) Caulfield; educated in St. Louis public schools; married, St. Louis, 1892, Edith Hinman; children: William Edward, Jr., Hazel. Began business career in employ of J. B. M. Koehler, and St. Louis United Grain Elevator Co., continuing until 1899; in real estate department of Lincoln Trust Co. until 1905; with D.P. Leahy Real Estate and Investment Co. until Jan. 1, 1906, when associated with A. N. Lewis in organizing present firm of Caulfield & Lewis, real estate. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange, Million Population Club. Republican; elected councilman November, 1911, to fill unexpired term; was chairman 11th Congressional District Republican Committee; member board directors of Piasa Chautauqua Association. Mason (Knight Templar); member Royal Arcanum. Recreation: management of Chautauqua amusements. Office: 700 Chestnut St. Residence: 1399 Union Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CAVENDER, John Howard, Jr., sales manager; born, St. Louis, Dec. 23, 1877; son of John Howard and Effie Hodge (Greenleaf) Cavender; grandson Gen. John S. Cavender, Civil War, 1861-65; educated in Smith Academv, St. Louis, to 1895; married, St. Louis, Dec. 26, 1901, Blanche Phillippi, of Crystal City, Mo.; four children: John Howard, III, Louis Phillippi, Rogers Greenleaf, Florence Phillippi. With Missouri Edison Electric Light and Power Co., 1895-96; went west on account of health. Returned to St. Louis, 1896, engaged with Chicago, Burlington & Quincy R. R., 1896-1900; resigned to become salesman for The Philip Carey Co., continuing with this company since: manager Kansas City, Mo., branch, 1901-05, Little Rock, Ark., branch, 1905-10, then St. Louis branch, which district includes Missouri and six other states. Republican. Unitarian. Club: Glen Echo Country. Recreations: golf, tennis, baseball. Office: 24 S. Main St. Residence: 5628 Cates Avenue.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHADDOCK, Charles Gilbert, physician; born, Jonesville, Mich., Nov. 14, 1861; son of Gilbert and Anna (Sinclair) Chaddock; graduated from public schools of Jonesville, 1878; two years work in literary department, and graduated from Medical Department, University of Michigan, M.D., 1885; student at University of Munich, Germany, 1888-89, University of Paris, France, 1897-99; married, Buffalo, N. Y., 1890, Adelaide Gowans Macpher-son. Assistant medical superintendent Northern Michigan Asylum, 1889-92; since 1892 engaged in practice in St. Louis as a specialist in neurology; professor of diseases of the nervous system, St. Louis University since 1892; visiting neurologist, St. Louis City Hospital. Member American Medico-Psychological Association, American Medical Association, Missouri State Medical Association, Chicago Academy of Medicine (honorary), St. Louis Medical Society. Author of various translations of German medical works, a text-book on insanity, articles in works on medical jurisprudence and numerous contributions to periodical medical literature. Independent in politics. Office and Residence: 3705 Delmar Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHAMBERLAIN, Frederick Bradley, food products and cereals; born, St. Louis, Nov. 27, 1866; son of Frederick B. and Laura Ann (Simmons) Chamberlain; educated in Smith Academy and Washington University; married, St. Louis, Apr. 22, 1897, Abby W., daughter of J. W. Goddard. Left college in junior year, 1887, to enter the business, founded by father in 1846, as a jobber of cereals and manufacturer of food products; as brother went to Kansas City and into business there, took charge of father's establishment, and when it was incorporated, in 1901, as the F. B. Chamberlain Co., was made president (father, who founded the business, died 1897). Member Merchants' Exchange (director, 1912), Business Men's League, Civic League. Republican in National politics. Clubs: Contemporary, City. Recreations: travel, athletic sports and bowling. Office: 118-124 Vine St. Residence: 4312 McPherson Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHAMBERS, George C, railway official; born, Tipton, Ia., Apr. 29, 1865; son of Dr. Charles L. and Anne Elizabeth (Hudson) Chambers; educated in public schools of Cedar Rapids, Ia.; widower. For past twenty-five years has represented the passenger department of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Co., successively at Cedar Rapids, Ia., Des Moines, Peoria, ILL., and St. Louis, in capacity of clerk, traveling passenger agent, and, since July, 190o, as general agent, passenger department. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Elks, St. Louis Railway, The Traffic. Office: 209 N. 7tb St. Residence: 4399 W. Pino Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHAMBERS, James Henry, publisher; born, Enon Valley, Pa., Dec. 19, 1836; son of James and Nancy (Taylor) Chambers; self-educated; married, Quebec, Canada, Oct. 2, 1884, May E. Terhune; children: John R., Ethel (Mrs. Frank Boone, of Alaska), Arthur T., Leslie T. In book publishing business in St. Louis since 1860; president J. H. Chambers Publishing Co.; president Dios Chemical Co. Democrat. Presbyterian. Member Merchants' Exchange. President Pennsylvania Society of Missouri. Club: Automobile. Recreations: fishing, hunting, traveling. Office: 2940 Locust St. Residence: 5001 Waterman Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHAMBERS, John Barbour, treasurer N. O. Nelson Manufacturing Co.; born, Eufaula, Ala., Nov. 12, 1865; son of W. H. and Anna (Flewellen) Chambers; educated at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn.; married, St. Louis, Apr. 28, 1892, Byrd M. Baker. Began business career in mercantile establishments at Montgomery, Ala., whence came to St. Louis in 1888; chief clerk of the St. Louis Republic until 1890, when entered employment of the N. O. Nelson Manufacturing Co., manufacturers and jobbers of plumbers, steam fitters and machinists supplies, and since 1897 has been secretary and treasurer of the company. Independent in politics. Recreations: motoring and baseball. Office: 10th and Chestnut Sts. Residence: 320 Skinker Rd.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHAMP, Charles E. M., manufacturer vehicle and automobile springs; born, Cincinnati, Apr. 11, 1853; son of Charles and Sarah (Barnard) Champ; educated in public schools of Cleveland; married, Cleveland, Nov. 26, 1876, Sophia F. Farrell; children: Lulu M., Ina E., Norman B. Began business career as an apprentice in spring factory in Cleveland; removed to St. Louis, 1881, and established in manufacture of vehicle springs; in 1896 organized Champ Spring Co., of which is president and general manager; in 1900 organized the Cincinnati and Hammond Spring Co., of Cincinnati, of which is president; vice president and general manager Western 8pring and Axle Co.; general manager Rice Coil Spring Co., of St. Louis. Member Business Men's League (made Panama trip, February, 1912). Member Implement and Vehicle Board of Trade. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Royal Arcanum, Legion of Honor. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Arcadia Country. Favorite recreations: farming and fishing. Office: 2109 to 2119 Chouteau Ave. Residence: Good Wood Farm, St. Louis Co.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHANDEYSSON, Pierre Ismael manufacturer electrical machinery; born, St. Marcel d'Ardeche, France, Aug. 20, 1875; son of Louis and Lisma (Datuit) Chandeysson; preliminary education in various schools of native land, until eighteen years of age; arrived in America, Apr. 18, 1893; student Trinity University, Toronto, Canada, 1896-98, Washington University, 1898-1901; unmarried. Began in electrical manufacturing business at St. Louis, 1902; now president Pan Electric Manufacturing Co., manufacturers of Chandeysson dynamos and motors. Democrat. Roman Catholic. Office: 735 S. 4th St. Residence: 1337 Hickory St.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHANDLER, Albert B., lawyer; born, Kirkwood, Mo., July 2, 1878; son of John Goshen and Emeline (Barber) Chandler; educated at Kirkwood (Mo.) public schools, 1884; entered Smith Academy, St. Louis, 1892, graduating, 1896; graduated Washington University, A.B., 1900; entered St. Louis Law School, graduating, 1904; married, 1906, Harriet Hunt, daughter of James G. and Victoria L. Duchouquette Whyte; one daughter: Victoria Louise. Clerk in treasury department Lindell Ry., 1897; business manager 1898, editor 1899, Student Life; clerk Rice-Stix Dry Goods Co., 1900; on editorial staff St. Louis Republic, 1900-02; bailiff U. S. Circuit Court, St. Louis, 1903; admitted to bar, June 1, 1903 and entered law offices of Clinton Rowell; in World's Fair Law Department 1904; in general civil practice in office of Rowell & Ferriss, 1905; city attorney of Kirkwood, Mo., Jan. 1, 1906-08; Alderman, Kirkwood, 1912. Republican. Member St. Louis Society of Social Hygiene. Council legal fraternity of Phi Delta Phi. Club: City. Recreations: camping and canoeing. Office: 504 Laclede Bldg. Residence: Kirkwood, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHANDLER, Kelly R., lumber commission; born on farm in Cooper Co., Mo., July 24, 1848; son of Leroy and Sarah Ann (Quarles) Chandler; educated in country public schools of Cooper Co., Mo., 1854-60; afterward, in 1868, at Kemper Family School, Boonville, Mo.; married, Savannah, Tenn., 1882, Mary C. Broyles; one son: Frank C. (formerly of U. S. Navy.) Began business career Apr. 20, 1870, as traveling solicitor for Harlow, Gelston & Co., general commission merchants, and Feb. 12, 1871, in same capacity with W. N. K. Beall, in same line, and November, 1871, went in same capacity with Andrew McDowell & Co., with whom was later salesman; employed with W. K. Sherwood & Co., flour merchants, 1878-82; established on own account, 1884, as lumber commission merchant, in which business has since continued, and in panic of 1893 was the only strictly commission lumber merchant who paid 100 cents in cash on the dollar. Democrat. Member Third Baptist Church of St. Louis. Mason (Blue Lodge). Office: 22 N. Second St. Residence: 4358 McMillan Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHAPLIN, Trescott Fox, lawyer; born, Orono, Me., July 22, 1874; son of Winfield S. (chancellor of Washington University since 1891) and Harriet B. (Caldwell) Chaplin; graduated Washington University, A.B., 1896; University of Chicago, A.M., 1897; Washington University, LL.B., 1899; married, St. Louis, Apr. 16, 1904, Alice Luedeking; children: Elise L., Harriet U., Alice. Admitted to bar, 1899, and has since engaged in practice; member of firm of Eliot, Chaplin, Blayney & Bedal. Member Missouri State and St. Louis Bar associations. Member Civic League. Republican. Club: Missouri Athletic. Office: 506 Olive St. Residence: Clayton, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHAPMAN, Henry Normanton, physician; born, Halifax, Yorkshire, England, Sept. 24, 1866; son of George Edward and Mary (Normanton) Chapman; removed to Waterford, Ireland, at age of six and to St. Louis at age of sixteen; attended national schools in England and Ireland; continued studies in Missouri State University and Missouri Medical College, M.D., 1893; married, St. Louis, Apr. 26, 1893, Isabella Mary Hodges; children: Dorothy Agnes, Henry Normanton, Abel Ward. At age of fourteen learned trade of wood-working machinist in Ireland, and worked at it a year or two after coming to St. Louis; took up stenography and worked in that capacity until began medical studies in 1889; in general practice of medicine in St. Louis since 1893. Member Bethesda Pediatric Society, St. Louis Medical Society. Republican. Member Board of Health of St. Louis, 1899-1903. Member Protestant Episcopal Church. Recreations: athletic sports and church work. Office and Residence: 3814 Washington Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHAPPELL, Edwin Rutherford, lawyer; born, St. Louis, Apr. 17, 1875; son of Edwin F. and Julia (Whitehill) Chappell; educated in Manual Training School, Washington University, and St. Louis Law School, LL.B.; married, St. Louis, Nov. 1, 1894, Esther C. Collins; children: Robert E. C, Esther Lindell, Edwin Rutherford. Admitted to bar, June 17, 1898, and since engaged in general practice in St. Louis; now member of firm of Collins & Chappell. Member St. Louis Bar Association, Law Library Association. Royal Arch Mason. Office: 700-704 Rialto Bldg. Residence: Kirkwood, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHAPPELOW, Branch Earl, secretary and treasurer Chappelow Advertising Co.; born, Logansport, Ind., Sept. 28, 1875; son of John Albert and Adelia C. (Griffith) Chappelow; graduate of Logansport High School and Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Ind.; married, Kokomo, Ind., Sept. 20, 1905, Alpha Blackledge. Began active career as newspaper reporter, and continued for five years as city editor, special writer, advertising solicitor and manager at Logansport, Galesburg, ILL., Louisville, Los Angeles, Stockton, and San Francisco. Removed to New York City, 1900, and engaged in advertising agency business until 1903; then came to St. Louis; since secretary and treasurer Chappelow Advertising Co.; also director Kutterer-Jansen Printing Co. Independent in politics. Presbyterian. Member Phi Kappa Psi fraternity. Mason. Club: St. Louis Automobile. Recreation: motoring. Office: Liggett Bldg. Residence: 6331 Waterman Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHARLES, Benjamin Hynes, clergyman; born, Brandenburg, Ky., May 11, 1829; son of William B. and Elvira (Crutcher) Charles; A.B., Center College, Danville, Ky., 1853; graduated Danville Theological Seminary; (D.D., Parsons College, Fairfield, la., 1855); married, Chester, ILL., Mar. 17, 1859, Achsah S. Holmes; children: Benjamin Hynes, Jr., Joseph William. Licensed to ministry of Presbyterian Church, Apr. 26, 1856; ordained, October, same year. Pastorates: Springfield, Ky., 1856-58; Chester, ILL., 1858-67; Boonville, Mo., 1867-75; Marshall, Mo., 1875-77; president Synodical Female College, Fulton, Mo., 1877-88; president Ward Seminary, Nashville, Tenn., 1891-93; pastor Clayton, Mo., 1895-1900; Brank Memorial Church, St. Louis, 1900-06.  Author: "The Interpretation of Certain Prophesies. Address: 5050 Maple Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHARLES, Benjamin Hynes, Jr., lawyer; born, Chester, ILL., Apr. 26, 1866; son of Benjamin Hynes and Achsah Susan (Holmes) Charles; graduated from Westminster College, Fulton, Mo., A.B., 1885; taught school, 1885-88; studied law, 1888-91, graduating from Law Department, Yale University, LL.B., 1891; married, Keokuk, Ia., June 30, 1903, Nancy McCandless Home; one son: Benjamin Hynes, ILL. Admitted to bar, 1892, and since engaged in practice; senior member of law firm of Charles & Lackey (W. G. Lackey), 1898-1900; second associate city counselor, 1903-05; first associate city counselor, 1905-10; since in private practice. Member American Bar Association, Missouri State Bar Assn., St. Louis Bar Association, Civic League. Democrat. Presbyterian. Club: City. Favorite recreation: fishing. Office: 604-605 Merchants-Laclede Bldg. Residence: 20 Parkland Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHARLES, Joseph William, physician, born, Boonville, Mo., Feb. 9, 1868; son of Benjamin^ H. and Achsah S. (Holmes) Charles; graduate from Westminster College, A.B., 1887, A.M., 1890; Medical Department of Washington University, M.D., 1891; married, St. Louis, 1902, Laura M. Foster. Engaged in general practice in St. Louis since 1891; clinical professor Medical Department, Washington University. Member American Ophthalmological Society, St. Louis Medical Society. Presbyterian. Clubs: University, Bellerive, City, Contemporary. Office: 505-511 Humboldt Bldg. Residence: 3739 McPherson Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHARLOT, Fred S., cooperage and lumber; born, St. Louis, Dec. 19, 1871; son of Chapman S. and Virginia (Blodgett) Chariot; graduated from St. Louis Manual Training School; married, Lexington, Ky., July 16, 1900, Willa Engman; one son: Harry. Began business career in minor position with the Taylor Manufacturing Co.; general sales agent Cherokee-Lenyon Spelter Co., 1896-98; subsequently secretary and treasurer of the Crescent Iron Works, Springfield, Mo., and the Springfield Lumber and Cooperage Co.; vice president and treasurer, Ozark Cooperage Co., from 1902; firm changed in 1906 to Ozark Cooperage and Lumber Co., of which became president, 1908. Also director Pemiscot Land and Cooperage Co. Served as first lieutenant, 1st Missouri Volunteers, Spanish-American War, 1898. Member Society of Foreign Wars, Spanish War Veterans. Office: 1417 Liggett Bldg. Residence: University Heights.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHAETBAND, Mark E., stock, bond and insurance brokerage business; born, Carondelet (now part of city), St. Louis, Jan. 19,1858; son of Michael Chartrand (mayor of Carondelet) and Amelia (Guion) Chartrand; ancestors on both sides located in Carondelet in 1760; attended Blow (public) School, Carondelet, 1866-72; married, Oct. 17, 1900, Anna M. McKasson, of Grand View, Ind. Appointed page in office under Mayor Joseph Brown, January, 1872; custodian of records in office of recorder of deeds, St. Louis, 1875-84; special rate clerk in auditor's office, Wabash Ry., 1884-89; special agent Mutual Insurance Co. of New York, 1889-98; manager, for Missouri, of United States Life Insurance Co. of New York, 1898-1901; appointed, 1899, by Circuit Court, as receiver of North End Building and Loan Association (the largest west of Philadelphia); paid dividends amounting to 75 per cent to stockholders, making final settlement to court, March, 1905. District agent of John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Co. of Boston, August, 1905-March, 1909; since engaged in the stock, bond and insurance brokerage business. In October, 1899, incorporated the Leesberg Shoe Co. (now Kerens-Leesberg Shoe Co.) and was it’s first president. Republican; has been member of City, Congressional and State Republican committees. Member Anchor Lodge No. 443, A. F. & A. M.; Supreme Vice Chancellor Legion of Honor, 1894; member National Union (Senate Deputy, 1887-90), Knights of Pythias. Club: Mercantile. Office and Residence: Mercantile Club.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHASE, George Griffith, lawyer and trust officer; born, Topeka, Kan., Oct. 10, 1877; son of George S. and Alice Margaret (Griffith) Chase; educated in public schools of Topeka and high schools of Washington, D. C; B.S., Columbian (now George Washington) University, Washington, D. C, 1900, LL.B., 1902; unmarried. Lived at Topeka, Kan., until 1894, when moved to Washington, D. C., with parents. Admitted to bar of District of Columbia, 1902, Indian Territory, 1903; came to St. Louis, December, 1903, and engaged in general law practice until 1909; since assistant trust officer St. Louis Union Trust Co. Member of St. Louis Bar Association. Republican. Club: Missouri Athletic. Recreations: tennis and golf. Office: 4th and Locust Sts. Residence: 4715 Westminster Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHASE Henry Leverett, with H. & L. Chase Bag Co.; born, New York City, June 30, 1867; son of Irah and Ellen Josephine (Leverett) Chase; educated in public schools of Newport, R. I.; married, June 8, 1896, Frances Constable Robertson; four children: Eleanor Duane, Anne Leverett, Rebecca Duane, Frances. Since Feb. 27, 1889, has been engaged with H. & L. Chase Bag Co. Served three years' enlistment in Massachusetts Volunteer Militia. Member Civic League. Republican. Episcopalian. Member of the Sons of the Revolution. Clubs: City, St. Louis Country, Florissant Valley. Recreation: tennis. Office: 18 N. Main St. Residence: 5836 Clemens Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHASNOFF, Jacob, lawyer; born, Mitchell, S. D., June 21, 1883; son of Moses and Tobie (Agrant) Chasnoff; graduated Sedalia (Mo.) High 8chool, 1899; A.B., University of Missouri, 1903, A.M., 1904; LL.B., Harvard Law School, 1909; married, Dorchester, Mass., Apr. 1, 1910, Julia Linenthal. Was manager Kansas City Office of the Elliott-Fisher Co., 1904-06; in practice in St. Louis since Aug. 10, 1909, associating with McDonald & Taylor. Independent Democrat. Jewish religion. Professor law of suretyship, Law School of St. Louis University. Mason; member Odd Fellows, B'nai B'rith. Clubs: Thayer Law, City, Harvard. Was associate editor Harvard Law Review, 1907-08. Office: 1806 Third National Bank Bldg. Residence: 5536 Page Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHAUVENET, William Marc, analytical chemist; born at Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md., Mar. 4, 1855; son William and Catherine (Hemple) Chauvenet; educated in academic, scientific and mining schools of Washington University; unmarried. Employed as expert special agent, United States Geological Survey, division of mining geology, 10th census, 1879-83; chemist, United States Geological Survey, 1881-82, making reports on the iron ores of Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri, Tenth census; assistant United States Geological Survey, Lake Superior Division, 1882-85; engaged in general practice since 1882 as analytical chemist and mining engineer. Author of Notes on Minnesota Geology on Northern Boundary, and of reports on Mexico, Venezuela, California and Missouri. Member American Institute of Mining Engineers, American Geographical Society and the Audubon Society; fellow American Association for the Advancement of Science. Member National Conservation Association. Simple Ballot League, American Red Cross, Civic League. Received Officer's Cross of civil merit, Bulgaria. Clubs: Country, Noonday, University, Contemporary, City. Recreations: literature, art and athletics. Office: 620 Chestnut St. Residence: The Pendennis, 3737 Washington Avenue.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHENERY, Edward A., superintendent of telegraph, Missouri Pacific Railway; born on the Atlantic Ocean, Oct. 17, 1859; son of George and Eliza (Mison) Chenery; educated in public schools of Michigan; married, 1896, May, daughter of M. Sells, of Indianapolis. Began railway service 1872, as telegraph operator with Grand Rapids & Indiana R. R., serving until Jan. 6, 1879; then until June 15, 1886, successively telegraph operator, train dispatcher, car accountant and secretary to general superintendent of Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railway; secretary to general superintendent of the Union Pacific Railway, June 20 to Dec. 15, 18S6; superintendent of telegraph, Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis and St. Louis Merchants' Bridge Terminal Railway, Dec. 15, 1886, to May 15, 1903; since superintendent of telegraph. Missouri Pacific System. Vice president Real Estate Building and Loan Association. Scottish Rite Mason (32°), and Shriner. Clubs: St. Louis Railway (ex-president and ex-secretary), Masonic. Office: Missouri Pacific Bldg. Residence: 7207 Anna Ave., Maplewood, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHENERY, Winthrop Holt, librarian; born, Belmont, Mass., Mar. 8, 1872; son of Winthrop Louis and Ruth Baldwin (Holt) Chenery; S.B., Massachusetts Institute Technology, 1896; A.B., Harvard University, 1897, A.M., 1898, Ph.D.. 1904; studied at University of Paris, 1904-05; unmarried. Instructor in Spanish, University of Michigan, 1901-04; instructor in Spanish and Italian, 1905-07, assistant professor Spanish, Italian and Romanic philology since 1907, Washington University. Appointed librarian, Library of Washington University, 1912. Member Modern Language Association of America; St. Louis Academy of Science, Language and Literature Club of Washington University, Ethical Society, Civic League. Clubs: City, Public Question, Contemporary, Faculty of Washington University. Recreation: bibliography. Address: Washington University. Residence: 6030 Berlin Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHENEY, Fred Nelson, manager The Mutual Life Insurance Co. of New York; born, Areola, Washington Co., Minn., July 9, 1858; son of Frederick Porter and Louisa B. (Hill) Cheney; educated in public schools; married, Glover, Vt., 1882, Lula Irene Davis; children: Ruth Irene (Mrs. Erland Gjessing), Dorothy Zaphira, John Willoughby, Margaret Louise. Early life spent on farm; at age of 15 entered business career as clerk in retail store of O. D. Owen, Barton, Vt., continuing until 1883; then entered insurance business at Manchester, N. H., with brother, R. H. Cheney, opening agency for The Mutual Life Insurance Co. of New York, under title Cheney & Cheney; firm soon advanced to general agents for states of Vermont and New Hampshire; served in that capacity many years for the company, later employed in special work, and since 1902, has been manager of the general agency at St. Louis. Mason (32°), Knight Templar, Shriner. Clubs: Mercantile, Arcadia Country (treasurer). Recreation: gardening. Office: second floor, Chemical Bldg. Residence: 3515 Longfellow Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHESBRO, Crombie Stuart, secretary Louis Werner Saw Mill Co.; born, Grand Rapids. Mich., Apr. 29, 1861; son of George .J. S. and Isabella (McBain) Chesbro; high school education. Began business career as bookkeeper with the LaCrosse Lumber Co., at Louisiana, Mo.; later was traveling salesman with the Eau Claire Lumber Co., St. Louis, and afterwards southern purchasing agent for the Chicago Lumber & Coal Co.; secretary Louis Werner Saw Mill Co. since Jan. 1, 1903. Mason, Knight Templar, Shriner. Republican. Club: Mercantile. Recreation: golf. Office: 510 Fullerton Bldg. Residence: 5653 Cabanne Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHILD, Philip Sheridan, merchant; born, Weybridge, Addison Co., Vt., Oct. 24, 1864; son' of Andrew J. and Elizabeth M. (Burt)Child; educated in public schools, Independence, Mo., and St. Louis, and high school, St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Oct. 24, 1894, Lulu M. Messmore. After leaving school in 1882, became connected with the A. J. Child & Sons Mercantile Co. (established 1874), doing a general mail order business in everything used on farm, ranch, plantation, etc., in which has since continued, now being vice president and treasurer of the company. Independent Republican. Member Valley Council, Royal Arcanum. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, City. Recreations: hunting, fishing and gardening. Office: 515-517 N. Main St. Residence: 5244 Kensington Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHILDRESS, Levi Wade, president Columbia Transfer Co.; born, Murfreesboro, Tenn., Mar. 20, 1870; son of William S. and Inez (Wade) Childress; educated in public schools of Murfreesboro; married, Wickliffe, Ky., Oct. 7.1903, Lucy Marshall Turner; two sons: Wade Turner, Fielding Turner. Came to St. Louis from Murfreesboro, 1893, and began with the St. Louis Drayage Co. as clerk; then was clerk in freight department of Illinois Central Railroad, and afterward clerk and freight agent in St. Louis for the Missouri, Kansas & Texas R. R.; was commercial agent for same road at Shreveport, La., until February, 1902, when returned to St. Louis and became traffic manager of the Columbia Transfer Co., engaging in local freight transfer from depot to store door and vice versa; was made general manager, October, 1903, and since May, 1905, has been president and general manager, same company; also president Columbia Taxi Cab Co. Independent in politics. Presbyterian. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Noonday, City. Office: cor. 9th St. and Clark Ave. Residence: 5934 Clemens Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHILDS, Oliver W., civil engineer; born in Clinton County, Iowa, Jan. 11, 1866; son of Thomas P. and Kate Childs; educated in public schools, Nevada, Iowa, and State University of Iowa, graduating, with degree of C.E., 1889; married, Alton, ILL., Sept. 15, 1900, Alma Wine. Engaged in engineering work with the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co., of Chicago, 1890-94; chief engineer of Stupp Bros. Bridge & Iron Co., of St. Louis. 1894-1905; bridge engineer of the City of St. Louis, 1905-11; now manager American Cement Tile Manufacturing Co. Member St. Louis Engineers Club, American Society of Civil Engineers, Western Society of Engineers. Democrat. Episcopalian. Member Civic League. Club: City. Office: 1230 Syndicate Trust Bldg. Residence: 4211 Flad Avenue.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHIVVIS, William Reinhart, lumber; born, Memphis, Tenn., June 3, 1858; son of Daniel S. and Harriet (Reinhart) Chivvis; educated in public, private and business schools of St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Oct. 26, 1886, Ada Mary Chaphe; children: Leland, Norman, Ruth. Began business career in the employ of Liebke & Schrage, lumber manufacturers, as bookkeeper, Oct. 1, 1883; when firm was incorporated, 1894, became secretary and so continued until October, 1901; since in business for self. Member Lumbermen's Exchange of St. Louis. Independent in politics. Congregationalism Clubs: Congregational, Lumbermen's. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office and Yards: Main and Lesperance Sts. Residence: 4232 W. Pine St.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHRISTOPHEL, Caesar Joseph, trunk hardware; born, St. Louis, Sept. 27, 1865; son of John and Frances (Dinzler) Christophel; educated in public schools of St. Louis; married, St. Louis, 1890, Anna Miller; children: Gertrude, Louis, Arthur. Began business career in 1881 in employ of John Baumann, trunk hardware, and was with him twenty years. In 1901 joined in organizing the St. Louis Trunk Hardware Manufacturing Co., and was its secretary and treasurer, 1901-03, since vice president of the company. As traveling representative, has systematically covered principal points between New York and San Francisco. Mason (32°), Shriner. Member Royal Arcanum, Knights and Ladies of Honor, Travelers' Protective Association. Office: 609 Chouteau Ave. Residence: 6320 Washington Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHRISTOPHERSEN, Louis, wholesale coffees; born, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, Dec. 23, 1871; son of Peter and Maria (Lorenzen) Christophersen; educated in public schools in Germany and Perkins and Herpel’s business College, St. Louis; married, Belleville, ILL., Oct. 7, 1896, Margaretha Schmidt; one daughter, Elsa. Came to United States at age of 17, and entered employ of uncle, John Lorenzen, retail grocer, at Belleville, ILL., serving as clerk for three years; then, for six months, each, clerked for the St. Louis houses of Cornet Bros, and W. O. Gibson & Son; at age of 21 entered service of Edward Westen Tea & Spice Co., as city salesman, remaining with that house until joined in establishing, Jan. 1, 1902, the St. Louis Coffee & Spice Mills, of which is president. Mason, Knight Templar. Office: 407-411 N. Main St. Residence: 3519 Crittenden Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHUBB, Percival, educator; born, Devonport, Eng., June 17, 1860; son of James Purnell and Adelaide (Bell) Chubb; educated Stationer's School, London; technical education for English Civil Service ten years in Local Government Board, London; married, Louise Walston, of Decatur, ILL., Sept. 23, 1891 (died 1903); three children: Bronwen, Walston and Mavia; married, 2d, July 25, 1910, Anna Hartshorne Sheldon, of St. Louis. Formerly lecturer on literature, Brooklyn Institute Arts and Sciences; instructor pedagogy, Pratt Institute;  head English  department, Manual Training High School, Brooklyn; principal high school department of Ethical Culture School, New York; director English and festivals there; associate leader Society for Ethical Culture, New York; lecturer on English, University of New York School of Pedagogy. Leader of Ethical Society of St. Louis, since September, 1911; director of the School of Social Economy.  Member National Education Association, Playground Association, English Teachers' Association, Civic League. Clubs: City, Town and Gown, Players (director). Editor: Emerson's Selected Writings, 1888; Montaigne's Essays, 1891; Pope's Homer's Iliad (with William H. Maxwell), 1898; Dryden's Palamon and Arcite, 1899; Browning's Poems, Boy Life—Readings from Howell's, 1909; Select Writings of Lincoln, 1909; Travels at Home Readings from Mark Twain. Author: The Teaching of English, 1903; Festivals and Plays, 1912. Also contributor to magazines. Recreations: woodcraft, boating and mountaineering.   Office:  Seldon Memorial Bldg. Residence: 4533 Westminster PL. Summer Residence: Center Lovell, Me.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CHURCH, Alonzo Christy, lawyer; born, Ft. Washita, Indian Territory, Nov. 3, 1859; son of John R. and Mary F. (Christy) Church; educated Christian Brothers College, St. Louis, and later in France and Germany; LL.B., St. Louis Law School, 1880; married, June 25, 1895, Carlota Clark, of St. Louis. Has served as vice president and counsel for Wiggins Ferry Co., St. Louis Transfer Ry. Co., East St. Louis Connecting Ry. Co. Member Missouri legislature, 1890-92; Democrat. Clubs: St. Louis, Racquet, Noonday, St. Louis Country. Office: 901, 319 N. 4th St. Residence: 4 Lenox Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CICARDI Louis, produce merchant; retired; born, Italy, Mar. 7, 1837; son of Manuel and Angela Cicardi; received limited education in native land; married at St. Louis, Apr. 15, 1860, Katharine Canepa (now deceased); children: Manual, Rosa (Mrs. Frank Devoto, Victor, Angelo, Augustin, Louis, Olivia (Mrs. Alexander Bruce), Julia (Mrs. Herbert Fletcher), Catharine; also six children deceased. Came to America, 1857; engaged in various lines of business in St. Louis until 1867 and then returned to Italy where he lived for six years; once more took up residence in St. Louis and for thirty years was identified with produce business; retired upon selling business to his sons, Louis J. and Victor, in 1907. Catholic. Recreation: gardening. Residence: 6203 Wagner Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLAIBORNE, James Robert, lawyer; born, St. Louis, June 22, 1882; son of James R. (Colonel "Bob") and Fannie (Moore) Claiborne; educated in St. Louis public schools and High School; entered University of Missouri, 1903, graduating LL.B., 1907; unmarried. Admitted to Missouri bar, 1907; began practice with father, well-known criminal lawyer, continuing principally in criminal law, with office opposite Four Courts until 1909; since practiced both civil and criminal law. Democrat. Methodist. Member Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity. Recreations: political and civic affairs. Office: 714 Wainwright Bldg. Residence: 4295 Page Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLARK, Alfred, manager St. Louis office Oneida Community, Limited; born, Baltimore, Md., Oct. 17, 1846; son of Robert R. and Mary Jane (Murray) Clark; educated St. Joseph's College, Bardstown, Ky., St. Mary's College, near Lebanon, Ky.; married, Shelbyville, Ind., Jan. 9, 1867, Clara De Witt (now deceased); four children: Alfred, Jr., Carrie C. (Mrs. George T. Higgins, of Los Angeles, Cal.), May (Mrs. W. L. Wingate, of Kansas City, Mo.), Robert R., of Indianapolis; married, 2d, St. Louis, Oct. 21, 1906, Addie Wilson Thorn. Began as traveling salesman, 1867, with Belding Bros. Cincinnati office, continuing until 1872; with Nonotuck Silk Co., at Cincinnati office, 1872-79; sold goods on own account, 1879-83; became connected with Oneida Community, Limited, as salesman, 1883; in charge of St. Louis house, 1898-1902; then in charge of Chicago branch, 1902-1906; since at St. Louis. Independent Democrat. Scottish Rite Mason (32°), Knight Templar, Shriner; member Odd Fellows (Past Grand) and Encampment. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Glen Echo Golf. Recreations: golf, fishing. Office: 410 Victoria Bldg. Residence: 5015 Cabanne Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLARK, Allen Walter, president American Paint Journal Co.; born near Topeka, Kan., Dec. 28, 1867; son of Rev. W. A. Clark, D.D. (well known Baptist minister and editor) and Jane Clark (Jordan) Clark; educated at Franklin College, Franklin, Ind.; married, South Whitley, Ind., June 9, 1889, Florence Shun; children: Charles Allen, March Alicia, Florence June, Cummings Collins. Began journalistic work, 1888, as editor of Morning Record, Chico, Cal., and after that was, successively, manager of the Arkansas Baptist Publishing Co., Little Rock, Ark.; manager Arkansas Democrat, Little Rock; manager Morning Post, South Bend, Ind.; publisher New Era, Greensburg, Ind.; manager National Rural, Chicago; served with organization and press departments, National Democratic Committee, in 1896 and 1900 campaigns; left Indiana in 1900, and settled in St. Louis in 1901, and for one year was office manager Barnes Crosby Engraving Co.; from Jan. 1, 1903, to July 1, 1908, president Kinloch Paint Manufacturing Co.; then established American Paint and Oil Dealer. Member Business Men's League, etc. Democrat; in 1895-96 organized anti-administration forces for Indiana Democratic State Convention, which sent instructed delegation to Chicago. Baptist. Office: Kinloch Bldg. Residence: 5524 Maple Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLARK, Charles O., grain and milling business; born, Buffalo, Scott Co., Ia., Apr. 10, 1860; son of Warner Lewis and Harriett (Baker) Clark; educated in country school at Buffalo; high school, Davenport, Ia.; State University of Iowa, Iowa City, la.; Bayles Commercial College, Dubuque, la.; married, St. Louis, Jan., 1889, Lilla Webb Cunningham, of Lexington, Ky.; two children: Anna Cunningham and Mildred Harriett. Engaged in grain and implement business at Buffalo, Ia., 1879 and 1880; in wholesale grocery business as Clark & Stuyvesant Grocery Co., at St. Louis, 1880-1901; president Valley Milling Co. since 1901; chief executor of Clark properties; also has property and business interests in Iowa. Was one of the organizers and for the first three years a member board of directors of the Lowell Bank of St. Louis. Formerly connected with Iowa State Militia; was member of the grand jury which made the report on the city auditor that started the reform movement resulting in election of Folk as governor and many important changes in public affairs. Liberal Democrat. Presbyterian. Member Merchants' Exchange, Travelers' Protective Association. Clubs: Mercantile and Commercial, of Davenport, Ia. Assisted in interesting the late Austin Corbin, banker of New York, in the purchase of the old Anchor Line, late in the 90's, but soon after he secured control he died and the managers of the estate did not care to push the enterprise. The most of the property was destroyed by the cyclone. Recreations: motoring, hunting and fishing. Office: 422 DeSoto Ave. Residence: 5574 Chamberlain Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLARK, Charles McLure, broker; born, St. Louis, Dec. 19, 1871; son of Charles and Sue (McLure) Clark; educated in public schools of St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Apr. 10, 1901, Lenore Scullin; one daughter: Mary Denman. Practiced two years as architect; since 1903 in bond and stock brokerage business; now associated with Lorenzo E. Anderson. Member St. Louis Stock Exchange. Clubs: Racquet, City. Office: 710 Locust St. Residence: 15 Hortense Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLARK, Cyrus Edgar, president James Clark Leather Co.; born, Rahway, N. J., Feb. 19, 1853; son of Daniel and Harriet (Williams) Clark; educated in public schools of St. Louis, graduating from high school; married, St. Louis, Sept. 12, 1876, Mary Cliff Warren; children: Celeste W., Warren D., Arline, Robert E. On leaving high school entered the leather establishment of which his father was the head and after filling various positions was admitted to partnership; in 1885, on death of father, organized James Clark Leather Co., of which is now president. Republican. Presbyterian (trustee and treasurer Second Presbyterian Church). Member Wholesale Saddlers' Association, Leather and Finders Association, St. Louis Shoe Manufacturers and Jobbers Association. Member Ancient Order of United Workmen, Legion of Honor. Club: St. Louis. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office: 1601 Washington Ave. Residence: 4363 McPherson Avenue.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLARK, Edward P. Jr., secretary Materne Manufacturing Co.; born Georgia, Vt, Dec. 25, 1870; son of Edward P. and Mary (Jocelyn) Clark; removed to St. Louis, 1878; educated in St. Louis public and manual training schools; married, St. Louis, 1895, Florence D. Moore; children: Helen E., Edith J., David P. and Charles W. Learned trade in St. Louis as steamfitter and machinist and has been engaged in steam fitting since 1888; in Feb., 1898, became connected with firm of J. P. Materne Manufacturing Co., manufacturers of wrought iron pipe fittings, and has been secretary since its incorporation in Feb., 1900, as Materne Manufacturing Co. Mason, Knight Templar. Recreations: hunting, fishing and boating. Office: 800 S. 18th St. Residence: Wheaton, St. Louis County.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLARK, Uriel L., lumber; born, Hunter's Creek, Mich., Oct. 1, 1854; son of John and Elizabeth Clark; educated in public and high schools of Lapeer, Mich.; married, Inlay City, Mich., Oct. 1, 1879, Lillie M. Lamb; one daughter: Lillie L. Began in lumber business in Michigan in 1875, and was member of firm of J. Clark & Son, lumber manufacturers, Hunter's Creek, Mich.; removed to St. Louis, 1896, and organized the Detroit Timber Co., of which is president. Also president Earl Mining & Smelting Co. Member Southern Lumber Manufacturers' Association, Business Men's League. Mason, Knight Templar. Clubs: St. Louis, Mercantile, Glen Echo Country. Recreation: golf. Office: 506 Olive St. Residence: 29 Portland PL. Summer Residence: Hunter's Creek, Mich.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLARK, Willis Henry, lawyer; born, Cascade Township, Kent Co., Mich., Nov. 20, 1861; son of Henry Morgan and Delia Ann (Waters) Clark; educated partly in public schools but principally under private tuition; married, Lincoln, ILL., Oct. 16, 1888, Inez Langdon Andrew; four children: Lucille (Mrs. M. S. Covington), Raymond, Martha and Howard. Admitted to Missouri bar, and has practiced at St. Louis since Feb. 6, 1888, except when on bench; judge Court of Criminal Correction, Dec. 1, 1898-Dec. 1, 1902. Republican. Recreation: reading. Office: 1111 Clark Ave. Residence: 5172 Kensington Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLARKE, Charles S., railway official; born, Frederick, Md., July 16, 1862; son James C. and Susannah (Schaeffer) Clarke; educated in public schools and Soule University of New Orleans; unmarried. Began in 1880 as apprentice with Illinois Central Railroad at Weldon Shops, Chicago; then was machinist, mechanical draughtsman and chief clerk to master mechanic, and later, master mechanic; moved to Mobile, 1890, as division superintendent Mobile & Ohio and Mobile & Bay Shore railroads, continuing as general superintendent and general manager until Sept. 30, 1904; vice president Missouri Pacific Railway from Sept. 30, 1904, to May 1, 1911 (resigned); director Missouri Pacific Railway, St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Ry. Co., National Bank of Commerce. Member American Railway Association, American Railway Guild, American Railway Engineering and Maintenance of Way Association (since organization), Maryland Society of New York, National Geographic Society. Clubs: St. Louis, Bellerive, Noonday, Mercantile, The Traffic of St. Louis; also Calumet (Chicago), Manassas, Athelston and Mobile Yacht (Mobile). Recreations: golf and walking. Address: Hotel Jefferson.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLARKE, Enos, retired lawyer; born St. Clairsville, O.; son of George and Nancy Clarke; graduated, Hamilton College, New York, A. M.; studied law at Utica, N. Y., and there admitted to bar, 1863; same year removed to St. Louis; married, 1863, M. Annette, daughter of Hon. John J. Foote, New York; one child: Rowena A. Served in 7th Regiment Missouri State Militia; practiced law in St. Louis with Ed. R. Bates, later with Geo. A. Madill, until 1868, when, by Chief Justice Chase, was appointed register in bankruptcy U. S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri, serving until 1880; prostrated by continued years of illness, 1882-93. Curator State University. 1865-68; member 23d General Assembly of Missouri. Republican. Member Committee of 200 of Louisiana Purchase Exposition, 1899-1901. Member American Economic Association, American Bar Association, Missouri Historical Society, Academy of Science, National Geographic Society; president St. Louis County Civic League, Ohio Society. Clubs: Contemporary, Papyrus, City, Washington University, Algonquin. Residence: Seven Gables, Kirkwood Branch P. O., St. Louis, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLARKE, Pat H., contractor and ex-sheriff of St. Louis; born, Dundalk, Ireland, Mar. 25, 1845; came to this country with parents and settled in Kenton Co., Ky.; educated in schools there; married, Frankfort, Ky., June 24, 1873, Nancy Barton; children: Owen J., Mary (Mrs. Donald Neary), Elizabeth, Robert, Kevin, Margaret. During Civil War served in Union Army in Company H, 37th Kentucky Infantry; after the war learned the blacksmith's trade in Cincinnati Locomotive Works; came to St. Louis in 1879 and worked at trade, and later in the Iron Mountain Railroad shops and Missouri Pacific shops, and was foreman blacksmith in the Fulton Iron Works. Served four years in the City Council; during Mayor Walbridge's administration served three years as factory inspector; sheriff of St. Louis, 1905-06; since engaged in general contracting. Republican. Member Knights of Father Mathew, A. O. U. W. and Royal Arcanum. Office: 815 Chestnut St. Residence: 3133 Eads Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLARKSON, W. Palmer, attorney and secretary Pioneer Cooperage Co.; born in Essex Co., Va., Feb. 13, 1S67; son of James L. and Loulie C. (Turner) Clarkson; graduated from St. Louis High School, 1888; LL.B., St. Louis Law School, 1889; married, St. Louis, Oct. 18, 1897, Marie Soulard Turner (daughter of late Gen. John W. Turner, who was street commissioner of St. Louis for eleven years); children: John Turner, Marie Louise and Palmer. Practiced law in St. Louis from 1889 to Aug., 1902, and during that time was attorney for Missouri Southern Railroad Co., Fidelity and Casualty Insurance Co., Clarkson Saw Mill Co. and other corporations; since Aug., 1902, attorney and secretary of Pioneer Cooperage Co., devoting all his time to this corporation, which operates large factories in St. Louis and Chicago, and numerous stave and heading factories in the South, and also owns large hardwood timber properties in the South. Director Clarkson Lumber Co., Christian Board of Publication, and vice president National Benevolent Association. Democrat. Member Board of Education, City of St. Louis, appointed by Mayor Wells to fill vacancy in board in 1902; elected for term of two years, April, 1905, and elected vice president of board, October, 1905; on Apr. 20, 1909, appointed by Mayor Kreisman to fill unexpired term of John Schroers. Member Christian (Disciples) Church; chairman board Union Avenue Christian Church since 1906. Member Bar Association of St. Louis, also Missouri State Bar Association. Member Virginia Society, Business Men's League, Manufacturers Association, Citizens Industrial Association, National Cooperage Association (president for two years). Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, City, Bellerive Country. Recreations: golf and tennis. Office: 2212 DeKalb St. Residence: 4243 Maryland Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLAUSEN, James; born in Denmark, Oct. 7, 1846; educated in public schools of native place; came to United States, 1871; married, Philadelphia, 1880, Julia Vincent; children: Maud and F. Joseph. Came to St. Louis, 1895, and formed present partnership with K. M. and D. W. Herriott, under the style of Herriott Bros. & Co., manufacturers of shoe polishes; superintendent of factory. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Grand Council Royal Arcanum; first vice president Post A, St. Louis Travelers Protective Association; member Million Population Club, North St. Louis Business Men's Association, Public Schools Patron's Alliance, etc. Recreation: trip east or west each summer. 0ffice 2801-2807 N. Broadway. Residence: 2232 St. Louis Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLEAVELAND, Holbrook Gilson, lawyer; born, Plymouth, Ind., Aug. 13, 1870; son of Gilson S. and Jane N. (Thompson) Cleaveland; educated at Smith Academy, St. Louis, 1887-89; University of Michigan, graduating A.B., 1893, LL.B., 1894; unmarried. Located permanently in St. Louis, 1894, and has since engaged in general practice. Member of St. Louis Bar Association. Episcopalian. Democrat. Member Psi Upsilon Fraternity. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, City, Century Boat. Recreation: canoeing. Office: 410 Security Bldg. Residence: 4011 Cleveland Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLEMENS, James Ross, physician; born St. Louis, Sept. 19, 1866; son of Bryan Mullanphy and Mary Ross (Warfield) Clemens; went in 1884 to Stronghurst College, England, from there to London University and thence to Cambridge University, England, graduating, M. D., 1892; continued medical studies at St. Thomas and London Hospitals, London; admitted by examination Member Royal College of Surgeons and Licentiate Royal College of Physicians of England; married, Claverach, St. Louis Co., Mo., 1899, Katherine T. Boland; children: Mary Muriel, Cyril Coniston. On completion of medical studies came to St. Louis, where has since been engaged in practice of medicine, with specialties in diseases of children and internal medicine. Now professor of diseases of children in medical department of St. Louis University, chief of clinic at St. John's Hospital and Grand Ave. Dispensary; physician on medical staff St. Louis Skin and Cancer Hospital; chief physician St. Anne's Infant Asylum, St. Joseph's Orphan Asylum, and Salvation Army Nursery; visiting physician City Hospital; pediatrician to St. Louis Maternity Hospital. President St. Louis Pediatric Society; member St. Louis Medical Society; Bethesda Pediatric Society. Roman Catholic. Recreation: boating. Office: Metropolitan Bldg. Residence: 3720 W. Pine Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLIFFORD, Patrick James, contractor; born, County Limerick, Ireland, Oct. 15, 1853; son of David and Honora (Cagney) Clifford; educated in Christian Brothers College, St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Dec. 14, 1875, Catherine Hamm; children: Eugene L., Cora, Florence. Was for thirty-two years cashier for Forbes Bros. & Co., prior to Apr. 21, 1902; license collector of St. Louis, 1902-06; then with Gilsonite Construction Co., 1906-09; since in contracting business for self as the P. J. Clifford Contracting Co. President Midland Building & Loan Association for fifteen years. Democrat. Roman Catholic. Recreations: fishing and boating. Office and Residence: 5191 Von Versen Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLOPTON, Malvern Bryan, surgeon; born, St. Louis, Oct. 8, 1875; son of William H. and Belle (Bryan) Clopton; educated in St. Louis High School; University of Virginia, classical course, 1893-95; Medical Department of University of Virginia, M.D., 1897; Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, 1898-1900; widower. Engaged in practice of surgery in St. Louis since 1897; visiting surgeon, St. Luke's Hospital; instructor in surgery, Medical Department of Washington University. Member St. Louis Medical Society, American Medical Association, Western Surgical Association. Episcopalian. Clubs: University, Racquet, St. Louis Country. Office: 405 Humboldt Bldg. Residence: 5391 Waterman Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLOPTON, William Hickman, lawyer; born, Madison Co., Ala., Aug. 24, 1847; son of James A. and Mary E. (Penney) Clopton; educated boarding school, Sulphur Springs, Ala.; La (Grange Military Academy, Alabama, 1860-61; Southern University, Greensboro, Ala., 1861-62; University of Virginia, 1865-68, graduating with degree of LL.B., 1868; married, St. Louis, Jan. 29, 1873, Belle Bryan (who died Nov. 9, 1893); three children: Dr. Malvern B. (of St. Louis), William H., Jr. (captain Thirteenth Cavalry, U. S. A.), Emily. Entered Confederate Army, 1864, and served under Gen. Dan Adams as member of his escort; later with scouts for Department of Alabama, and with General Buford's escort. Admitted to Missouri bar and has practiced at St. Louis since November, 1868; appointed by President Cleveland as U. S. attorney for the Eastern District of Missouri, Feb. 20, 1894, and served for one term. Democrat; was for several terms member of Democratic State Central Committee. Catholic. Member Sigma Chi college fraternity. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office: Wainwright Bldg. Residence: 5365 Cabanne Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


CLYMER, Harry G., architect; born, Polo, ILL., Juno 29, 1873; son of Henry L. and Mary M. Clymer; educated in public schools to fourteen; married, St. Louis, Mar. 1, 1899, Miss Lottie Long; children: Dorothy, William H. Began in architecture in office of A. F. Rosenheim, St. Louis; became head draftsman for A. M. Beinke and after death of employer, 1901, assumed practice of architecture; now member of firm of Clymer & Drischler; has erected a number of residences and mercantile and manufacturing establishments of St. Louis. Lutheran. Mason. Office: 619 Wainwright Bldg. Residence: 5228 Maple Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COAKLEY, Jeremiah Joseph, railway official; born, Allenton, St. Louis Co., Mo., July 5, 1859; son of Jeremiah and Ellen (Callahan) Coakley; educated primary schools of Allenton and Kirkwood, St. Louis Co., and. public schools, St. Louis; married, Agnes Bowe, of St. Louis, June 14, 1883 (died August, 1883); married, 2d, Elizabeth Fairbank, of Seymour, Ind., Nov. 3, 1887 (died Aug. 28, 1900); one daughter by second marriage: Ruth Elizabeth (now Mrs. Donald Carlisle Welty, of Hamilton, Mont.). Began active career in employ of the Union Railway & Transit Co., St. Louis, Sept. 11, 1875, and ever since connected with said company or it’s successors; superintendent Terminal Railroad Association, St. Louis Merchants Bridge Terminal Railway Co.; director St. Louis Belt Terminal R. R. Democrat. Catholic. Served as member House of Delegates. City of St. Louis, 1886-87. Decorated Order of the Crown Prince of Prussia (confirmed by Emperor William) for courtesies extended Prince Henry on his visit to the United States. Clubs: Automobile, Sunset Inn, St. Louis Railway. Recreations: motoring, fishing, billiards. Office: 101 Union Sta. Residence: 3232 Lafayette Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COAXES, Harold Penn-Gaskell, assistant executive officer Rice-Stix Dry Goods Co.; born, Chester, Pa., June 17, 1870; son of Isaac Taylor (M.D.) and Mary (Penn-Gaskell) Coates; educated in Lawrenceville School, Lawrenceville, N. J., 1884-88; Lafayette College, Easton, Pa., 1888-91; married, Philadelphia, July 2, 1891, Florence Elizabeth Jarvis; children: Rosalind Penn-Gaskell, Lucretia Jarvis. Left college, 1891, to enter real estate business with J. T. Jackson in Philadelphia; went to Salt Lake City, Utah, same year, in pursuit of health; engaged in mortgage loans and fire insurance business in Salt Lake, 1891-95; entered electric lighting business in Salt Lake, 1895-98, and was called to St. Louis, July, 1898, by financial interests behind former Imperial Electric Light, Heat and Power Co.; was secretary, treasurer and director, and so continued after the North American Co. acquired the company. In 1902, by consolidation local electric lighting interests were unified under name of Union Electric Light and Power Co., of which was secretary and assistant treasurer; also secretary, treasurer and director the Seckner Contracting Co., and officer and director of several companies subsidiary to these two; assistant executive officer Rice-Stix Dry Goods Co. (wholesale) since April, 1908. Member Delta Tau Delta, and Theta Nu Epsilon college fraternities. Republican. Episcopalian. Recreation: athletics. Office: 1000 Washington Ave. Residence: 5638 Kingsbury Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COBB, Charles Simeon, president Southern Surety Co.; born, Jamaica, Windham Co., Vt., May 25, 1856; son of Roswell Lyman and Ellen (Howard) Cobb; B.S., Cornell University, 1877; LL.B., University of Michigan, 1879; married, West Schuyler N. Y., Dec. 21, 1880, Icy Van Vleck; children: Myra (wife of Dr. J. W. Ousley, of Kansas City, Mo.), Abby, Icy. Admitted to bar, 1879; practiced at Eaton Rapids, Mich., 1879-84; in banking business at Eaton Rapids, 1884-90, at Denison, Tex., since 1890; president Southern Trust Co. (bank stock investments), Atoka, Okla., since 1904; president Southern Surety Co. since 1907; also chairman of board National Bank of Denison, Tex.; treasurer W. C. Belcher Land and Mortgage Co., of Ft. Worth, Tex. Member Business Men's League. Republican. Unitarian. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, Normandie Golf. Recreation: chess. Office: 4th floor New Bank of Commerce Bldg. Residence: 5700 Bartmer Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COBB, Charles Willis Snow, president Glencoe Lime and Cement Co.; born, Rockland, Me., Oct. 6, 1849; son of Francis and Martha (Chandler) Cobb; educated in public schools, Rockland, Johnson's Academy, Topsham, Me., and Norridgewock (Me.) Academy; married, Augusta, Me., June 15, 1880, Sarah S. Haskell; children: Ruth Bradford, Helen Chandler. Began business career as clerk in grocery store in Rockland; later member of firm of Cobb, Wight & Co.; moved to St. Louis, 1880, and became partner in firm of Goetz & Cobb, lime manufacturers, which dissolved 1889; then established Glencoe Lime and Cement Co., of which is president. Member Francis Cobb & Co., wholesale grocers, and of Cobb, Butler & Co., shipbuilders, Rockland, Me. Republican. Congregationalist. Formerly trustee Drury College, Springfield, Mo. Clubs: Mercantile, Glen Echo, City. Office: 904 Syndicate Trust Bldg. Residence: 4415 Morgan St.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COBBS, Thomas Harper, lawyer; born, Napoleon, Lafayette Co., Mo., Aug. 26, 1868; son of Thomas T. and Catherine (Harper) Cobbs; B.S., Odessa College, Odessa, Mo., 1889; student Missouri Valley College, Marshall, Mo., 1890-92; A.B., Washington University, 1896; studied law in St. Louis Law School and later in Yale Law School, Yale University, graduating with degree of LL.B., 1897; married, Carrollton, ILL., Aug. 30, 1898, Lucie Mae Jones. Taught school at various times while receiving his education and earned money for expenses in college; superintendent schools, Roodhouse, ILL., 1892-95; admitted to Missouri bar, August, 1896; associated with law firm of Flower, Smith & Musgrave, Chicago, 1897-1901; in practice at St. Louis with John E. Bishop, as Bishop & Cobbs since 1901. Democrat. Presbyterian. Member American Bar Association, Missouri State Bar Association, St. Louis Bar Association, Sigma Nu college fraternity, Yale Alumni Association, Washington University Alumni Association. Mason (Tuscan Lodge); member Knights of Pythias. Club: Mercantile. Recreations: golf, fishing. Office: 1111-1115 Third National Bank Bldg. Residence: 6224 Waterman Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COBURN, Maurice, principal assistant engineer Vandalia R. R.; born, Cleveland, O., Dec. 5, 1875; son of Forrest A. and Helen A. (Stickney) Coburn; educated in Cleveland public schools and Case School of Applied Science, graduating with degree of B.S., 1897; unmarried. Engaged with Pennsylvania Lines West of Pittsburgh, 1897, since continuously with that system and the Vandalia R. R.; principal assistant engineer Vandalia R. R. since May, 1909. Member American Railway Engineering Association. Clubs: University, City. Recreation: golf. Office: Century Bldg. Residence: 3737 Washington Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COCHRAN, Alexander G., lawyer; born at Allegheny City, Pa., Mar. 20, 1846; son of John Turner and Anna (Richardson) Cochran; educated in public and private schools and Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass.; studied law at Columbia Law School, and admitted to bar, 1866; married Mary Virginia Andrews, of Allegheny City, June 1, 1869. Practiced at Pittsburgh, 1866-74; member Forty-fourth Congress (1875-77), Twenty-third Pennsylvania District; defeated for Forty-fifth Congress; Democrat. Member special committee to South Carolina to investigate Tilden-Hayes election and one of the objectors on the part of the House in the South Carolina case, before the Electoral Commission; member special committee to investigate whisky frauds in St. Louis. Appointed general solicitor Missouri Pacific Ry., 1888; vice president Missouri Pacific and Iron Mountain lines, Oct. 1, 1904, to Dec. 1, 1909, when retired from railway service; also was general solicitor Cotton Belt and International Great Northern Ry. Judge advocate Missouri National Guard on staff of Brigadier General Clarke. Member American Bar Association, Missouri State Bar Association. St. Louis Bar Association. Episcopalian. Clubs: St. Louis, St. Louis Athletic (one of governors), St. Louis Country. Office: Pierce Bldg. Residence: 7 Westmoreland Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COCHRANE, Manning West, motor trucks; born, Bushnell, ILL., Mar. 22, 1868; son of Thomas and Hannah M. (Hartman) Cochrane; educated in public schools and attended Tabor College, Tabor, Ia.; married, Lincoln, Neb., Feb. 7, 1894, Olive Ethel Moore; children: Dorothy (deceased), Ruth. Associated in grain business with father at Lincoln, 1888-1902; came to St. Louis as representative of father's business in 1902 and in 1903 was made a partner in the firm under style of Cochrane Grain Co., being the resident partner until 1910; now manager Cochrane Motor Sales Co. Member St. Louis Merchants' Exchange (president, 1910). Methodist. Mason. Office: 1820 Locust St. Residence: 5109 Kingston Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COCKE, William Horner, president Commercial Acid Co.; born, City Point, Va., Sept. 12, 1874;  son  of  Henry Teller and Elizabeth (Horner) Cocke;  educated  Staunton (Va.) High School, Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Va., 1890-94, graduating, degree of C.E., 1894; professor of mathematics and commandant of cadets, Kemper Military Academy, 1894-97; graduated from Law Department of Washington University, degree of LL.B., 1898; married, St. Joseph, Mo., Dec. 20, 1905, Annie Jeanette Owen.   Admitted to bar, Apr. 22, 1899, and engaged in general practice in St. Louis from that date until December, 1906; senior member law firm of Cocke & Trigg, March, 1904-Jan. 1, 1906. Organizer, and president of the Commercial Acid Co. since Jan. 1, 1907. Member Business Men's League of St. Louis. First lieutenant Fourth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, 1898-99; captain and adjutant. First Regiment Infantry, N. G. Mo., 1903-04; major same regiment, 1904-06. Mugwump in politics.  Club: Normandie Golf. Recreation: Golf.  Office: 3943 Duncan Ave. Residence: 5432 Clemens Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COE, Edward Davis, merchant; born. Philadelphia, Pa., Apr. 14, 1843; son of Richard and Hannah Maria (Lippincott) Coe; educated at William Whitalls Private Academy of Friends ("Quakers"); served in Union Army as private Starr's battery, Pennsylvania State Militia, 1861; private Battery L. 1862, attached to Seventh Regiment Pennsylvania State Militia; attached to Thirty-second Regiment Pennsylvania Militia, 1863, and 1864-65 was sergeant Company H, 196th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry; married, Philadelphia, Jan. 8, 1874, Maggie Emily Barr. Entered wholesale dry goods business at Philadelphia in 1858 with Joseph Lea & Co., and remained with the firm, during period of war service, until 1870. Came to St. Louis in October, 1870. and established in wholesale notion business, in which has since continued; since 1874 associated with Robert G. Yonge, under firm name of Coe, Yonge & Co. Republican. Member Ransom Post, No. 131, G. A. R. (historian since 1900), Legion of Honor. Mason. Office: 905 Lucas Ave. Residence: 4157 Washington Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COFFIN, Edward H., president Berry-Bergs Coal Co.; born, Milton, Ulster Co., N. Y., Nov. 25, 1844; son of William and Rhoda A. (Birdsail) Coffin; educated in district schools of Orange and Ulster counties, Nine Partners Boarding School, Dutchess Co., N. Y. (one term), Westtown (Pa.) Boarding School one year, and one year at Post's Academy, Ellenville, N. Y.; taught district school, winters of 1864-65 and 1865-66; married, Moorestown, N. J., Jan. 24, 1882, Sarah A. Pancoast (died May 3, 1896); children: William H. and S. Frances; married, 2d, Sept. 5, 1906, Mrs. Lelia M. Jack, of St. Louis. Entered service of Missouri Pacific Ry. Co., Dec. 1, 1866, as clerk in freight office at Jefferson City, Mo., and remained with that company as clerk and telegraph operator at Holden, and agent and operator at Lees Summit, and Kansas City, Mo., until June 30, 1872; was agent for Kansas Central R. R. at Leavenworth, Kan., July 1 to Dec. 31, 1872; returned to Kansas City, Jan. 1, 1873, and was freight agent for Missouri Pacific Ry. Co. until Jan. 31, 1875; came to St. Louis, Feb. 1, 1875, and entered service of Wabash R. R. as city ticket agent, and remained with same company as city passenger and ticket agent until Apr. 7, 1902; engaged in coal business, Sept. 1, 1904, as president of the Berry-Bergs Coal Co.; also secretary and treasurer National Pickle and Canning Co. Republican. Friend ("Quaker"). Mason, Knight Templar. Club: Mercantile. Office: 1404-1406 New National Bank of Commerce Bldg. Residence: 3439 Lafayette Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COFFIN, William Halleck, secretary and treasurer Berry-Bergs Coal Co.; born, St. Louis, Oct. 28, 1882; son of Edward H. and Sarah A. (Pancoast) Coffin; educated at Smith Academy, St. Louis, Pennsylvania Military College, graduating C.E., 1902, and finished at Cornell University, 1902-03; married, St. Louis, Sept. 6, 1909, Esther Estey, of Eldon, Mo.; one son: Edward H. Entered office of Berry-Bergs Coal Co., wholesale and retail coal and coke, in August, 1903, and upon reorganization of the company in September, 1904, was elected to present position as secretary and treasurer. Member Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity. Recreation: traveling. Office: 1404 New National Bank of Commerce Bldg. Residence: 2607 S. Compton Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COLBY, Branch Harris, civil engineer; born at Cherry Valley, O., July 20, 1854; son of Lewis and Celestia (Rice) Colby; brother of J(une) Rose Colby; C.E., University of Michigan, 1877; post-graduate course in mining, engineering, 1877-78; married Minnie Bary, of Detroit, June 28, 1883; two children: Vine and Dorothy. Assistant on survey of Great Lakes, 1875-78; U. S. assistant engineer Mississippi River, 1878-84; in private practice, 1885-89; U. S. assistant engineer, in charge of survey of Portage Lake Ship Canal, 1888-89, for Straight Channel, Sandusky (O.) Harbor, River Commission, 1889-90; principal assistant engineer sewer department, St. Louis, 1890-95; sewer commissioner and member Board of Public Improvements, 1895-99; civil and consulting engineer, American Car and Foundry Co., 1900; in private practice since 1901; also city engineer of University City since 1906. Member American Society of Civil Engineers, American Society for Municipal Improvement (vice president), St. Louis Engineers Club (ex-president). Member Company B, Michigan National Guards, 1873-76. Unitarian. Scottish Rite Mason (32°), Shriner. Office: 812 Security Bldg. Residence: 5790 McPherson Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COLCORD, Walter Rea, machinery and supply merchant; born, St. Louis, Mar. 6, 1867; son of William and Sarah Maria (Cousins) Colcord; educated in public schools of St. Louis; married, St. Louis, June 1, 1896, Meta Elise, daughter of G. W. and Lena Garrels; children: Gerard Rea, Eunice. Engaged in business as machinery merchant since May 1, 1895; was president of W. R. Colcord Machinery Co., dealers in metal working machinery and machine shop equipment; now president Colcord-Wright Machinery and Supply Co.; director Franklin Bank. Independent in politics. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Midland Valley Golf. Recreation: golf. Office: 1223-1229 N. Broadway. Residence: 4943 Parkview Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COLE, Amedee B., president John Jackson Investment Co.; born, St. Louis, Sept. 21, 1855; son of Nathan and Rebecca Lane (Fagin) Cole; educated Franklin (public) School, Washington University and Shurtleff College; married, St. Louis, June 18, 1879, Annie, daughter of John Jackson, of St. Louis; children: Annie J. (wife of Dr. William B. Shields), John J., Ernest J., Reba J. (Mrs. Charles N. Morton), Marjorie (wife of Dr. G. D. Royston). Began business career as assistant in the management of his father's grain commission business, operating on the Merchants' Exchango until 1900. In 1892, when the estate of his father-in-law, who died in 1889, was incorporated under the name of John Jackson Investment Co., he became a director and in 1899 was elected its president; retired from the grain business and devoted himself exclusively to the management of a large tract of mining land near Joplin, Mo., owned by the company. Member Business Men's League, St. Louis Merchants' Exchange, New York Produce Exchange, Trans-Mississippi Commercial Congress. President Missouri State Society, Sons of the American Revolution, 1911-12; first vice president general of National Society, Sons of the American Revolution. Republican. Mason (32°), Shriner. Clubs: St. Louis, Racquet, Automobile, Aero. Recreations: outdoor life, motoring. Office: 318 N. 8th St. Residence: 3705 Lindell Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COLE, Howard, timber lands; born, Parkersburg, W. Va., May 1, 1868; son of Joseph Howard and Bettie (Dudley) Cole; educated in public schools, Parkersburg, W. Va., to 1887. Cashier State Savings Bank, Roanoke, Va., 1887-89; in 1889 went South and was engaged in land business in Louisiana and Mississippi; was resident in Vicksburg, Miss., five years before coming to Chicago, Apr. 1, 1904. President Mississippi Realty Co., incorporated in 1899, and operating in timber lands in Mississippi and Louisiana; in 1908 organized firm of Howard Cole & Co., Incorporated, of which is president. Also president Columbia Timber Co. (Vancouver, B. C), Howard Cole Timber and Investment Co. (Vancouver, B. C), Silver Lake Timber Co. (Florida), Florida Land and Timber Co.; director Morris Lumber Co., and vice president and director in a number of other concerns. Republican. Recreation: driving. Office: 235 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 4564 W. Pine St.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COLES, Walter De Rosset, lawyer; born, Parkersburg, W. Va., Jan. 6, 1868; son of Walter and Anne Taylor (Preston) Coles; attended University of Virginia, 1884-88; graduated from Law Department, Washington University, LL.B., 1889; unmarried. Admitted to bar, 1889, and since engaged in practice in St. Louis; assistant United States District Attorney, 1894-98; referee in bankruptcy at St. Louis since 1898. Episcopalian. Democrat. Member of American Academy of Political and Social Science, Missouri Historical Society, St. Louis and American Bar Associations. Clubs: University, Noonday, Racquet, City, Bellerive Country. Office: Room 415, Security Bldg.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COLLARD, Guy A., life insurance; born, Bremond, Tex., Feb. 11, 1876; son of James H. and Laura B. (Brown) Collard; educated Southwestern University, Georgetown, Tex.; married, Denver, Colo., Apr. 18, 1906, Minnie L. Body; one son, Sneed B. Engaged in mining brokerage business principally in Mexico City, Mex., also in the United States and Alaska, until Feb. 15, 1906; then entered life insurance business in Denver, as solicitor, and became local superintendent of agents for The Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Co.; in July, 1908, was appointed manager at St. Louis for the Germania Life Insurance Co. of New York; supervisor of agents, same company, Jan. 1, 1911-Nov. 25, 1911; supervisor of agents, Equitable Life Assurance Society, until June 25, 1912; since manager and general agent Union Central Life Insurance Co. Democrat. Protestant. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office: Fullerton Bldg. Residence: North University City, St. Louis Co., Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COLLETT, George Richard, vice president St. Louis National Stock Yards; born, Hartford, Mich., Jan. 6, 1872; son of George F. and Serah A. Collett; educated in public schools of Hartford; married at Fort Worth, Tex., Apr. 29, 1902, Florence Marsden Herendeen, of Chicago (died Mar. 29, 1908); one child: Nellie Herendeen. In railroad service at La Porte, Ind., and Chicago, 1890-96; connected with Armour & Co. interests at Chicago and Fort Worth, Tex., 1896-1905; vice president and general manager Milwaukee Stock Yards Co., 1905-07; vice president St. Louis National Stock Yards since February, 1907. Also president East St. Louis Rendering Works; vice president National Cattle Loan Co.; director National Stock Yards National Bank. Episcopalian. Mason, Knight Templar, Shriner. Clubs: St. Louis, Glen Echo, Missouri Athletic. Recreation: golf. Office: National Stock Yards. Residence: Buckingham Hotel.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COLLIER, Charles Cox, cashier Union Station Bank; born, Keokuk, Ia., Jan. 14, 1876; son of Alexander and Mary (Wilson) Collier; educated in public schools of Keokuk; unmarried. Began in banking business at Keokuk as a messenger and became assistant cashier 1904; moved to St. Louis and was teller Missouri Trust Co., 1904-06; assistant treasurer, 1906-07; then with Mercantile Trust Co. six months; assistant cashier Union Station Bank, January, 1909-July, 1911, since cashier. Republican. Presbyterian. Office: Union Station Bank. Residence: 4058 Lindell Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COLLINS, Charles Cummings, lawyer; born, Memphis, Tenn., July 6, 1872; son of Charles Standish and Katherine Julia (Comfort) Collins; educated in public schools of Little Rock, Ark., until 1888; Washington University, A.B., 1892; St. Louis Law School (Washington University), LL.B., 1894; married, St. Louis, Oct. 16, 1895, July Hargadine, daughter of William H. Thomson, of Boatmen's Bank; children: Anne Acrata, Julia Comfort, Mary Virginia, Elizabeth Cummings. Taught school in Smith Academy, department of Washington University, 1892-94; admitted to bar and engaged in practice, June, 1S94; now member of law firm of Carter, Collins, Jones & Barker. Member St. Louis, Missouri State and American Bar associations. Member Washington University Association. Democrat. Methodist. Clubs: St. Louis, Mercantile. Office: 1016 Third National Bank Bldg. Residence: 20 Lenox Pl.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


COLLINS, John Patrick, undertaker; born, St. Louis, Jan. 6, 1867; son of Patrick and Margaret (Mahoney) Collins; both of Irish descent; educated in public schools; married, St. Louis, 1890, Isabella Scott (died 1905). Learned undertaking business and entered the office of Christ Schawacker, undertaker, after leaving Polytechnic High School, Oct. 1, 1882; entered undertaking business on own account Mar. 1, 1888; studied law and admitted to Missouri bar, 1902, but now devotes his attention to undertaking business. Elected member Board of Education to fill unexpired term, 1891, and again elected, 1893; was candidate for State Senate, 1896 (defeated); elected to Senate 1900 and served term of four years; elected Democratic Presidential Elector of Twelfth Congressional District at Joplin, Mo., Feb. 20, 1912. Catholic. Elected president Undertakers and Embalmers Association, 1908, reelected, 1909, 1910, 1911 and 1912. Member Knights of Pythias, Knights and Ladies of Honor, Knights and Ladies of Security. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Million Population (director). Recreations: billiards and pool. Offices: 517 Walnut St.; 2732-2734 Park Ave.; 1917-1921 S. Jefferson Ave. Residence: 517 Walnut St.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.