Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" D "

Milton Louis Daugherty, general secretary of the Big Brother Organization (Inc.) of St. Louis, his native city, was born May 9, 1899. His father, Charles B. Daugherty, is a native of Indiana and of Scotch descent. In the early '80s he came to St. Louis and has since been successfully engaged in manufacturing. In former years he took a very active part in civic and political affairs. He married Frances Wall, a native of Missouri, who is of Irish lineage on the paternal side and of French descent in the maternal line. She has become the mother of two children, Milton Louis, and Wallace.
Milton Louis Daugherty was educated in the public schools and in the St. Louis Manual Training School. He is now attending the St. Louis University pursuing a course in law. His life thus far has been largely devoted to public service. His first position was with St Louis Industrial School, later the Juvenile court of St. Louis, where he served for a period of three years as investigator. In October, 1918, he was appointed general secretary of the Big Brother Organization (Inc.) of St. Louis, and has since so served with credit to himself and with excellent results for the betterment of the organization and the extension of its work. His broad humanitarian spirit and his deep interest in the welfare particularly of young boys have resulted in most effective effort. He has studied the problems of the youth and his executive ability is also manifest in the management of the affairs of the organization.
His activity does not extend alone to this organization, for he is the secretary of the Social Service conference of St. Louis, is a member of the executive committee of the Cardinal Knot Hole Gang, the civic committee of the Junior Chamber of Commerce, "boys work" committee of the St. Louis Rotary Club, and the children's committee of the central council of social agencies. It will thus be seen that his interests and activities largely lie along the line where organized effort is meeting sociological conditions and problems. He is an exemplary representative of Anchor Lodge, No. 443, A. P. &A. M., and a member of Brilliant Lodge, No. 65, K. P. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party where national questions and issues are Involved but at local elections he caste an Independent ballot
On the 17th of March, 1913, Mr. Daugherty was married at Collinsvilie, Illinois, to Miss Florence Stamm, a native of Missouri and a daughter of William and Emily (Hoch) Stamm. They have two children: Ruth Ellen, born January 16, 1915; and Jack Ethridge, born August 14, 1920.
During the late war Mr. Daugherty was active in support of the Red Cross, the sale of Liberty bonds and the Boy Scout drive. His dominant characteristic is his humanitarianism and his labors have been far-reaching and beneficial.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Walter N. DavisWalter N. Davis, attorney at law practicing in the courts which convene in St. Louis, his native city, was born November 29, 1876. He is descended from Welsh ancestry, the family having been founded in America by four brothers who came to the new world in 1700, Nicholas Davis being the progenitor of the branch to which Walter N. Davis belongs. He settled in Cecil county, Maryland, and among his descendants were those who participated in the struggle for American liberty as Colonial soldiers in the Revolutionary war. The grandfather, George N. Davis, served in the War of 1812. The father, Alexander Davis, was a native of Kentucky, his people having been early settlers of Carter county, that state. He was reared and educated in the Blue Grass state and in 1850 came to Missouri, settling first in St. Joseph. In 1851 he crossed the plains with an organized company from St. Joseph. They traveled over the Santa Fe Trail to California and returned by way of the Isthmus of Panama. In 1867 he was married in Jefferson City, Missouri, and after his marriage took his bride to Montana, a hard and hazardous Journey for a woman, but she cheerfully endured the trials and difficulties in order to be with her husband. In fact both displayed a most earnest and courageous spirit in meeting the conditions of frontier life, their strong purpose and good cheer carrying them over the hard places which brought discouragement to so many of the early settlers. In 1869 he removed to St. Louis, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1896, when he was sixty-four years of age. He was a lawyer by profession and was a graduate of Jefferson College. From 1869 until 1876 he was connected with the law department of the Missouri Pacific Railroad and was widely known as a prominent representative of the profession. During the Civil war he served with Steen's Division under General Price and was taken prisoner west of Jefferson City, Missouri. Later he was paroled and subsequent to that time removed to Montana, becoming one of the pioneers of that state and the first Judge, holding court at Virginia City during the Vigilantes days. A stanch democrat, he was active in politics both in Montana and Missouri. He served as a member of the Missouri state legislature from St. Joseph for two terms before the Civil war period. His religious faith was that of the Methodist church and he was a Knight Templar Mason. He married Alice Edwards, who was born in Jefferson City, Missouri, a daughter of John Henry and Mary (Chappell) Edwards. Her maternal grandfather was from Roxborough, North Carolina, and his wife from Danville, Virginia. The first maternal ancestor who came to America was John Chappell. He was captain of the Speedwell, a vessel that brought the emigrants to Virginia in 1630, and after abandoning a sea-faring life he settled on the James river. To Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Davis were born six children, three sons and three daughters.
Walter N. Davis, who was the fourth in order of birth, was educated In Smith Academy of St. Louis and in the Vanderbilt University, from which he was graduated in 1898, winning the Bachelor of Arts degree. He then entered the St. Louis Law School and won his LL. B. degree upon graduating in 1900. The same year he was admitted to the bar and entered upon practice in St. Louis, since which time he has been a faithful and active follower of his profession. He continues in general practice, trying all kinds of cases and trying them well. He is a member of the St. Louis and Missouri State Bar Associations. In politics he is a democrat and the official positions which he has filled have been along the strict path of his profession. He was special assistant United States attorney in charge of war work from September, 1917, until October, 1918, and handled on an average more than one hundred persons per day. He was the democratic nominee for circuit Judge in 1916 and received the hearty support of the local bar, but was defeated in the republican stronghold.
On the 6th of September, 1911, Mr. Davis was married in St. Louis to Miss Roberta Randolph Morrison, a native of Missouri and a daughter of T. Ellis and Margaret P. (Guy) Morrison, the former now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Davis has been born a son, Robert Morrison, whose birth occurred in St. Louis, July 17, 1915.    The family resides at No. 5567 Perching avenue.
Mr. Davis is a member of Rose Hill Lodge, No. 550, A. F. & A. M. He also belongs to the Normandie Golf Club and he is a member of Sterling Price Chapter of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. He is likewise a member of St. John's Methodist Episcopal church, South, and high and honorable principles have ever guided him in all of the relations of life. He has manifested many of those sterling characteristics which enabled his honored father to meet difficult conditions as a California Argonaut of 1851 and as a pioneer settler of Montana at a period when the work of the Vigilantes was the only thing that prevented an era of unbridled crime. Under different conditions Walter N. Davis has displayed the same substantial qualities and as a lawyer he has been most loyal in upholding the highest standards of the profession, exemplifying in his career its most advanced ethics.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

DAVIS, Walter Naylor, lawyer; born, St. Louis, Nov. 29, 1876; son of Alexander (judge of the People's Court in Montana during the days of the Vigilantes, 1863-68) and Alice (Edwards) Davis; graduated from Smith Academy, 1894; Vanderbik University, Nashville, Tenn., 1898; St. Louis Law School, 1900, LL.B.; married, St. Louis, Sept. 6, 1911, Miss Roberta Randolph Morrison. Admitted to bar, 1900, and since continuously engaged in practice of law; formerly member firm of Blodgett & Davis, and since May, 1911, of Bates, Blodgett, Williams & Davis. Member St. Louis Bar Association. Democrat. Member of Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Member of Beta Theta Pi college fraternity. Club: Normandie. Recreations: golf, hunting and fishing. Office: 506 Olive St. Residence: 427 Lake Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


Raymond J. Denyven is a well known stock broker of St. Louis, in which city he was born on the 24th of November, 1888. His father, Joseph M. Denyven, was of Scotch descent and was born in Dorchester, Massachusetts. For many years he was general freight agent for the Mobile & Ohio Railroad at St. Louis and passed away December 16, 1919. He married Ida Forrest Griffith, a daughter of John C. and Susan (Haley) Griffith, who came of American ancestry represented in this country through four generations. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph M. Denyven occurred in St. Louis, November 9, 1887, and they became the parents of five children, three daughters and two sons: Raymond J.; Howard; Lucille, who died at the age of sixteen years; Marion; and Elizabeth. The living children are all residents of St. Louis.
Raymond J. Denyven was educated in his native city, attending the Crow school and also the Central high school, from which he was graduated on the 24th of January, 1908. He immediately afterward entered the employ of A. G. Edwards & Company, stock brokers of St. Louis, as board room boy and has continued in their employ to the present day, being now in charge of the St. Louis stock department. Thus gradually he has worked his way upward to a place of responsibility and prominence in connection with the stock brokerage business of the city and is widely and favorably known in financial circles. During the period of the World war he spent considerable time on the bond drives, securing subscriptions to the Liberty loans, and he never hesitated in supporting any of the necessary war activities.
In St. Louis on the 4th of February, 1913, Mr. Denyven was married to Miss Margaret Winter, a daughter of Ruffin S. Winter and a representative of a family that has been in America through four generations. Mr. and Mrs. Denyven have two daughters: Isabella Ray, six years of age; and Mary Margaret, three years.
In his political views Mr. Denyven is an independent republican. He belongs to the Kings Highway Presbyterian church and gives a helpful assistance to all those forces which make for public progress and improvement. He is also a member of the St. Louis Stock Exchange and of the Missouri Athletic Association and has qualities which make for personal popularity in club circles.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Arthur B. DewesDewes, Arthur B.
One of the most progressive of the younger representatives of the printing trade in St. Louis is Arthur B. Dewes, the head of the A. B. Dewes Printing & Stationery Company. Never content with what he has accomplished he is constantly reaching out along new lines, continually seeking to improve his business and to afford the highest possible satisfaction to his patrons. His initiative is constantly manifest in one form or another and his business has established standards which others have followed.
Arthur B. Dewes was born in St. Louis, February 18, 1881, his parents being Alexander H. and Matilda M. (Droege) Dewes. The father, who was a native of St. Louis and engaged in the notion business, passed away in 1888. The mother, who is still living, is of German descent and her parents were residents of the south side. To Mr. and Mrs. Alexander H. Dewes were born six children: Joseph A., who is the treasurer of the Woerner Sawmill Company; Edward, who is with the United States ordnance department; Matilda, now the wife of E. J. Andrae; Arthur B.; Olivia, the wife of Allen Bethal, copy editor with the Post-Dispatch; and Lydia.
Arthur B. Dewes attended the public schools of St. Louis and afterward pursued a commercial course, being graduated on the completion of his studies in bookkeeping and accounting in 1897. He then began work in the printing line and has since been so engaged. Gradually he advanced and became the organizer of the A. B. Dewes Printing ft Stationery Company, of which he is now the president and treasurer. The organization was effected in 1902 and in 1907 the present firm style was adopted. The company not only does a large local business but receives an extensive patronage from various other states, including Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi and Texas.* Mr. Dewes publishes a little pamphlet called Points, which is most original, unique and attractive in character, in which every word points to the thought it is intended to convey, the little booklet carrying conviction to the minds of its readers concerning the progressive style and initiative of the man who is at the head of the business. The word Points itself, according to its various letters, is taken to mean promptness, originality, individuality, neatness, thoroughness and service, all of which characterize the establishment of the Dewes Printing Company.
On the 20th of September, 1905, Mr. Dewes was married to Miss Corinne Schoenle, daughter of Louis Schoenle, who was a dry goods merchant, well known in St. Louis, but is now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Dewes have eight children: Raymond, Emmet, Corinne, Lucille, Grace, Matilda, Bernice and Mercedes. The religious faith of the family is that of the Catholic church and Mr. Dewes is a member of the Knights of Columbus. He belongs also to the Century Boat Club, the Liederkranz, the City Club, the White Squadron and the Ben Franklin Clubs. The last named is a printers organization, of which he was president for the year 1920. He was one of the organizers of the White Squadron, formed to establish and maintain friendly and sociable relations amongst each other and our friends, regardless of religious or political differences or affiliations," and for seven years he was elected captain of the organization, this being its chief executive office. His political support is usually given the democratic party although he is not a strong partisan. He took an earnest interest in all war activities, including the Y. M. C. A. drives, the Liberty bond sales and other projects, doing effective work along those lines. It has been said of him: "He is a good Missourian, a most loyal friend and a most progressive business man whose notable success can be attributed to straightforward dealings, promptness, efficiency and conscientious regard for all obligations of his contracts.” He is a most interesting conversationalist and enlightening public speaker upon any question which he discusses and his utterances are always enlivened by humor and enriched by sound logic.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Mrs. Susanna Wayn DoddsDODDS, Mrs. Susanna Way, physician, born in a log cabin in Randolph county, near Richmond, Ind., 10th November, 1830 Her father was a lineal descendant of Henry Way, a Puritan, who emigrated from England to this country in 1630. Both father and mother were members of the Society of Friends. Their ancestors, who went west from Guilford, N. C., were originally from Nantucket. Susanna was the eldest of thirteen children. The father was in moderate circumstances and could give them only a common-school education. The eldest daughter was ambitious, and early set her heart on going to college. To her great grief, she soon found that, with the exception of Oberlin, there was not a college in the land that would admit women. There were only ladies' seminaries. She therefore decided to go to Oxford Female Institute, which was then conducted by Rev. J. W. Scott, the father-in-law of President Benjamin Harrison. To do this, Miss Way began teaching in the common schools at a salary of eight dollars a month, and boarded herself. She was then seventeen years of age. By rigid economy she saved a small sum of money, and in her twenty-third year received her diploma from Dr. Scott's seminary. The much-coveted college course was not given up. The university in Ann Arbor was founded, and its doors were afterwards thrown open to women. Antioch, with Horace Mann at its head admitted women and in the spring of 1856 Miss Way entered the preparatory department of that college. Again her plans were frustrated. Sickness in her father's family called her home and also prevented her from earning money. The following year she became the wife of Andrew Dodds, a young Scotchman, whose liberal views were in harmony with her own. They made their home in Yellow Springs, Ohio, and Mrs. Dodds renewed her studies in Antioch, where she afterward graduated. She also completed a medical course, in 1864, in the New York Hygeio-Therapeutic College. Her husband at that time enlisted in the Federal army, and by exposure in the mountains of Virginia contracted a fatal disease. A short time before his death the family moved to St. Louis, Mo., and in 1870 Dr. Dodds began to practice in that city. She was joined by her husband's sister, Dr. Mary Dodds, with whom she is still associated. As physicians they have done much for the physical redemption of women. Dr. Susanna Way Dodds is dean of the St. Louis Hygienic College of Physicians and Surgeons, and also a member of its faculty. She has written and published a work on dietetics, entitled "Health in the Household," and has contributed to a number of health journals and other papers.
(American Women, Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1 Copyright 1897.  Transcribed by Marla Snow.)


George S. DrakeDrake, George S.
St. Louis was just entering upon the second quarter of the nineteenth century when George S. Drake became a resident of the town and when the period of his boyhood and youth passed he entered upon a business career that made him one of the foremost citizens. In tracing the ancestral line from which he was descended it is learned that through many centuries the Drake family has figured conspicuously in connection with the affairs of Great Britain. As early as 1272 John Drake held lands by grant of King Edward I and in 1313 John Drake had permission of Edward II "to go beyond the sea." Many distinguished clergygmen, martyrs, authors and navigators have borne the name and among the most noted of the last mentioned class was Sir Francis Drake, prominent during the reign of Queen Elizabeth. In the year 1552 Richard Drake, the ancestor of the branch of the family to which George S. Drake belonged, was high sheriff of Dublin, Ireland. This family was also represented by Robert Drake, minister of Thundersly, in Essex England, who died a martyr at Smith-field during the reign of Queen Mary. When exhorted by Bishop Bonner to renounce his "heresy" he made this remarkable and courageous reply: "As for your Church of Rome, I utterly deny and defy it, with all the works thereof, as I deny the devil and all his works." In the year 1630 John Drake, of Devon, England, crossed the Atlantic and established his home in Connecticut, ten years after a landing was first made by the Pilgrims on Plymouth Rock on the completion of the first voyage of the Mayflower. In 1637 he took up his permanent abode at East Windsor, Connecticut, and to that place the ancestral line of the various branches of the family in America is traced. The name has long been a most honored one in various sections of the country for representatives of the family have been recognized as people of strong intellectual attainments and of marked ability in various lines.
It was on the 11th of October, 1825, that George S. Drake was born at Hartford, Connecticut, his parents being Silas and Elizabeth (Warburton) Drake, who in 1827 removed westward to Missouri and established their home in St. Louis, at which time George S. Drake was but two years of age. He continued a resident of this city to the time of his death and after attending the private schools to some extent he continued his education at Kemper College and when sixteen years of age made his initial step in the business world by Securing a clerkship in the dry goods house of Warburton ft King, one of the oldest established commercial houses of the city. His fidelity to the interests of his employers, his reliability and his diligence brought him steady promotion and after six years he was admitted to a partnership when but twenty-two years of age, under the firm style of Warburton, Rossiter & Drake. His association with the house was continued until 1852 when he withdrew and became a member of the firm of Manny, Drake ft Company, dealers in boots and shoes.   Thirteen years later he withdrew permanently from mercantile circles to devote his attention entirely to the management of his invested interests, but according to the statement of a contemporary biographer, "these did not take Mr. Drake out of constant and active relation with the business interests of St. Louis. The value of his opinion in matters of finance and investment was recognized by all who had business relations with him and there were few men—if indeed there were any—who were more minutely familiar with the course of business, banking and money in St. Louis for the last half century than George S. Drake; and there were none who excelled him in legal habit of mind and quick discernment of the equities of questions. It was not strange, therefore, that his services should have been claimed and his counsel desired by institutions with which he was connected. He was one of the men whose long relations with the Boatmen's Bank were so fortunate to that institution—a connection which began in 1859 and continued almost unbroken to the time of his death." For twelve years Mr. Drake served on the directorate of the Boatmen's Bank, after which he became vice president and occupied that position for twenty-four years. He resigned in 1895 but in 1897 was again elected a director and continued to serve in that connection throughout his remaining days. He was also vice president of the Bellefontaine Cemetery Association for many years and did much to make the cemetery a most beautiful place of burial.
Mr. Drake was twice married and was the father of two children—a son, George S. Drake, Jr., and a daughter, Mrs. Henry C. Scott, who is mentioned elsewhere in this work.
When his country needed him Mr. Drake at once responded and served through the Civil war as a member of the Lyon Guards who successfully defended the state against the invasion of Price's army. He was also a member of the board of control in charge of Confederate prisoners. He had a wide acquaintance among men of prominence as the years passed and was a close personal friend of William Clark of the Lewis and Clark expedition into the northwest. He held membership with the Masonic fraternity, was a devoted member of the Second Presbyterian church, served as an elder thereof and was active in all charitable work. He was made a member of the advisory board of the Home of the Friendless and was a most liberal contributor to the support of that institution. He was likewise a member of the advisory board of the Protestant Orphans' Asylum, was a member of the Provident Association and belonged to the St Louis Club, the St. Louis Country Club and the Mercantile Club. His interests were of a comprehensive character and his activities were at all times such as contributed to the welfare and advancement of the community in which he lived. He passed away July 27, 1908, after a residence of eighty-one years in St Louis. To him had come "the blest accompaniments of age—honor, riches, troops of friends," and the name of George S. Drake is still revered and his memory cherished by all with whom he was associated throughout the long period of an exceedingly active and useful life.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Dr. George S. Drake, Jr., an alumnus of the Johns Hopkins University of Baltimore, has since 1905 been engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery in St. Louis and his pronounced ability has brought him to a position of prominence in professional circles. He was born June 5, 1875, in St. Louis, and is a representative of one of the old and prominent families of this city, his parents being George S. and Bertha (Molloy) Drake. The father was brought to St. Louis in 1827 when but two years of age, so that Dr. Drake is of the first generation of the family here. He was sent east for educational training, attending St Paul's School at Concord, New Hampshire, while later he matriculated in Yale University and was graduated with the class of 1897. Subsequently he entered the Johns Hopkins University of Baltimore, Maryland, from which he received his professional degree in 1901. After completing his course there he served for four years as house surgeon at the Union Protestant Infirmary in Baltimore and in 1905 returned to St. Louis, where he was made associate attending surgeon to the St. Louis Free Skin & Cancer Hospital and also associate attending surgeon to the St Louis Children's Hospital. He was associated with the former institution for five years and for two years with the latter. During the past fifteen years he has built up an extensive private practice and ranks high among the surgeons of the city, confining his attention solely to surgical practice. He keeps in touch with the most advanced methods and is thoroughly familiar with the latest scientific researches and discoveries having to do with the practice of surgery. He belongs to the St. Louis Medical Society, the Missouri State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. Dr. Drake enlisted for service in the European war and was assigned to duty at Camp Logan, Texas, in the Base Hospital Later he was transferred to Jefferson Barracks and afterwards to the Base Hospital at Camp Zachary Taylor, in Kentucky, being mustered out on the 19th of May, 1919, with the rank of captain.
On the 3d of June, 1911, Dr. Drake was married to Miss Myrtle Clark of St. Louis, a daughter of Henry Clark of Montgomery, Missouri, who was chairman of the convention that first nominated Champ Clark for congress. Dr. Drake is a member of the University Club, the Racquet Club, the St. Louis Country Club, the Bellerive Country Club, the Florissant Valley Club and of other social organizations in which he is prominent and popular. His political support is given to the republican party and he and his wife are of the Episcopal faith, attending St. Peter's church. He belongs not only to one of the old and prominent St. Louis families but is a representative of one of the old and distinguished American families descended from a notable English ancestry that can be traced back through many generations. The nobility of character manifest in his forebears finds expression in his own career. Nature endowed him with strong intellectual force which he has wisely directed along the lines of usefulness to his fellowmen and his position is today an enviable one and his name an honored one in the annals of St. Louis.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Jerome F. DugganDuggan, Jereome F.
Among the attorneys of St. Louis who are natives of the city is Jerome F. Duggan, who was born on the 30th of August, 1893. His father, Patrick Duggan, is a native of Ireland and on coming to America first settled at Jerseyville, Illinois, but subsequently removed to St. Louis, where he has since made his home. He is a stationary engineer and followed that business for many years very successfully but is now living retired. He married Ellen Dougherty, also a native of the Emerald isle, and on coming to the new world she took up her abode in Chicago, where they were married. They began their domestic life in Jerseyville and Mrs. Duggan is still living, theirs being a pleasant and comfortable home in St. 'Louis. They became the parents of eight children, five sons and three daughters, three of whom have passed away. The record of the family is as follows: Lawrence A.; Mary, deceased; Jerome F., of this review; Margaret, who has also passed away; John J.; Patrick, who is deceased; Richard L.; and Ellen Grace.
Jerome F. Duggan was educated in the parochial and public schools of St. Louis and prepared for his professional career as a student in the Benton College of Law, from which he was graduated in 1915 with the LL. B. degree, while in the following year his alma mater conferred upon him the Master of Laws degree. Prior to entering college, however, he was connected for eight years with the St. Louis board of education. Immediately after his graduation he entered upon active practice and while advancement at the bar is proverbially slow, no dreary novitiate awaited him. He has made steady progress, devoting his attention to general civil practice, and his clientage has been extensive and important. He is a well known member of the St. Louis Bar Association and enjoys the high regard of many of his professional brethren. Aside from his practice he is also a director and the secretary and treasurer of the Mangold Oil &Development Company, a Missouri corporation.
Mr. Duggan is quite actively interested in politics and for the past four years has been president of the Fifteenth Ward Democratic Club, in which capacity he is still serving. He belongs to the Immaculate Conception Catholic church, is a fourth degree Knight of Columbus and a member of the Western Catholic Union. He is also connected with the Woodmen of the World, with the Fraternal Aid Union, and with the Century Boat Club of St. Louis.
After America's entrance into the World war Mr. Duggan on the 13th of May, 1917, entered the officers' training camp at Fort Riley, Kansas, and was honorably discharged July 7, 1917. He reentered the service July 15, 1918, and was discharged in December following with the rank of second lieutenant of the Reserve Corps. He belongs to the American Legion and is past commander of Jackson Johnson, Jr., Post No. 72 and is a member of the national executive committee for the department of Missouri. He finds diversion and recreation in baseball and in tennis. His record is that of a self-made man, for he paid his own way through college with money he had previously earned and his success is attributable entirely to his own labors, for industry and capability have marked his course at all points, his thorough preparation of his cases being one of the salient features in his continued success.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Miss Eugenie DussuchalDUSSUCHAL, Miss Eugenie, musical educator, born in St. Louis, Mo., 29th October, 1860. She is of French parents, and, with the exception of a short course of study in New York, received her school and musical education in her native city. Her father died when she was but four years of age, leaving herself and an older sister to be brought up by her mother, who was left in moderate circumstances. Eugenie showed her musical talent at an early age. The French citizens of St. Louis honored her by presenting her a gold medal after she sang the anthem "La Marseillaise," at the French Fete of 1890. She has a rich contralto voice, which has kept her in church positions and before the public since her fourteenth year. For a short time she traveled with an opera company and was most successful, but her family objected to her adopting the stage as a profession, and she returned to St. Louis. She was appointed public school music supervisor in the fall of 1890, a position that until then had been filled by men only.
(American Women, Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1 Copyright 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow.)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.