St. Louis County
" D "
Edward, lawyer; born, St. Louis, Jan. 8, 1875; son of Henry I.
and Harriet Lombard (Cheever) D'Arcy; educated in Peabody School, four
years; private school at Portarlington, Ireland, one year; St. Louis
University about five years; Washington University, LL.B., 1900;
unmarried. Was stenographer Medart Patent Pulley Co., 1891, stenographer,
George A. Madill, 1892, Wiggins Perry Co., 1894; clerk U. S. Local
Inspectors of Steam Vessels, St. Louis, 1895; admitted to bar, St. Louis,
on examination before Circuit Court, October, 1899, and since engaged in
practice. Member of St. Louis and American Bar associations. Secretary
Manhattan Lead and Land Co. Member Ethical Society. Member Blackstone
Society. Trustee McKendree College, Lebanon, ILL. Clubs: Contemporary,
City. Office: 724 Rialto Bldg. Residence: 5884 Bartmer Ave.
Guido, retired banker; born, near Liegnitz, Prussia, June 22,
1839; son of Rudolph and Adelheid D'Oench; educated in Germany and at
college in Texas; married, St. Louis, 1869, Pauline Limberger (now
deceased); two children: Lyda and Elizabeth F. Came to St. Louis from
Texas in 1857, and was engaged in mercantile pursuits from 1858 until
about 1866; then in banking, first with the Bank of the West, then for ten
years as cashier of the South Side Bank; cashier of the Lowell Bank, May,
1905-08, when retired. Director of the Pocahontas Mining Co. Member of the
Merchants' Exchange. Odd Fellow. Recreations: gardening and walking.
Residence: 4914 S. Broadway.
Richard, hardware merchant; born, Liegnitz, Germany, July 1,
1843; son of Rudolph and Adelheid (Roessler) D'Oench; came with parents
from Germany to Texas, in 1850; educated in Texas schools; located in St.
Louis, 1860, and was employed with wholesale grocery firm of Meyer &
Meister, first as shipping clerk and later as traveling salesman, 1860-67;
started in wholesale woodenware business under firm name of Schmieding,
D'Oench & Co., February, 1867, and continued until Jan. 1, 1879, when
sold out interest in that business and became secretary of the Witte
Hardware Co., St. Louis, from which retired, Jan. 1, 1896; since fall of
1896 engaged as manufacturers' agent and dealer in hardware specialties.
Director Missouri Crematory Association, St. Louis Altenheim. Republican.
Member Liederkranz, Royal Arcanum, National Union. Office: 309 Olive St.
Residence: 4914 8. Broadway.
William, vice president Friedman Shelby Shoe Co.; born, St.
Louis, June 21, 1860; son of William and Marie (Braasch) D'Oench; educated
in public schools of St. Louis and Washington University until 1872;
Realschule, Stuttgart, Wurtemburg, Germany, 1872-78; returned to United
States in September, 1878; married, Jefferson City, Mo., Dec. 16, 1885,
Nannie Bishop Berry; one daughter: Virginia Marie (Mrs. G. Pagenstecher,
New York). Began as clerk for hardware broker in New York City, and after
a few months entered employ of Giesecke, Meysenburg & Co., of St.
Louis, working in factory at Jefferson City, Mo., January, 1879; became
one of incorporators of the Giesecke Boot and Shoe Manufacturing Co., of
Jefferson City, 1881, and secretary until 1898; organized the D'Oench.
Hays Shoe Co., of Jeffersonville, Ind.; in 1901 consolidated D'Oench-Hays
Shoe Co. and the Giesecke Boot and Shoe Manufacturing Co. as the Giesecke,
D'Oench, Hays Shoe Co., of which was president until Feb. 1, 1910, when
this company was merged with the Friedman Shelby Shoe Co. and he became
vice president. Democrat. Office: 1621 Washington Ave. Residence: 5503
James Aloysius, wholesale fruit and produce; born, St. Louis,
Sept. 25, 1865; son of Patrick and Catherine (Cusack) Dacey; public school
education; married, St. Louis, May 10,1893, Louisa L. Pohle; three
children: Kathleen, James A., Jr., and Elizabeth. Began in wholesale fruit
and produce business at St. Louis, 1885, and has ever since been
identified closely with that line; proprietor of Dacey & Co., fruits
and produce. Member Merchants' Exchange, St. Louis Fruit and Produce
Exchange. Member House of Delegates two terms, 1891-95. Democrat.
Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus. Recreations: traveling, motoring.
Office: 1209-1211 N. Broadway. Residence: 4565 Easton Ave.
Herman, dry goods; born, Hanover, Germany, Mar. 16, 1846; son of
Rudolph and Pauline (Horst) Dallmeyer; educated in private school in
native land; married, St. Louis, 1867, Louise Prasse (died 1898); 2d, St.
Louis, Apr. 5, 1900, Mrs. Pauline Goetsch. Came to America, 1862; in
employ of brother in general store at Cooperhill, Mo., for three months;
removed to St. Louis, March, 1863, and became connected with dry goods
firm of Nieman & Co., continuing until 1868; then entered business on
own account at 1301 Franklin Ave., three years later forming partnership
under title of Dallmeyer & Koestring, which was subsequently
dissolved; since in business in own name. Republican. Member Evangelical
Protestant Church. Director German Protestant Orphans' Home. Office: 1237
Franklin Ave. Residence: 2902 Dickson St.
Charles Joseph, real estate; born, St. Louis, July 1, 1871; son
of John J. and Catherine (Whyte) Daly; educated in private school and St.
Louis University; graduated from St. Louis Law School, LL.B., 1896;
married, St. Louis, July 10, 1900, Mary E. Maginnis; children: Elizabeth,
Charles J., Louise Brook, John J., Richard and Kathleen Ann. Began in
employ of Pullman Palace Car Co., then for short time in post office. On
Aug. 1, 1890, entered service of Joseph P. Whyte, and on Apr. 26, 1901,
became vice president and treasurer or Joseph P. Whyte Real Estate Co.;
with real estate department Commonwealth Trust Co. since June 5, 1912.
Member of the Real Estate Exchange. Democrat. Catholic. Office:
Commonwealth Trust Co. Residence: 5937 Julian Ave.
DALZELL, Benjamin Wilson, life
insurance; born, Eldorado Co., Cal., Oct. 26, 1866; son of David F. and
Marietta (Wilson) Dalzell, the former reared at Penn's Manor, Bucks Co.,
Pa., and the latter a lineal descendant of John Hancock, Daniel Boone and
"Uncle Sam” Wilson; weighed 3 1/2 pounds when born and was passed around
on a dinner plate before a tribe of Indians, in California; crossed the
Isthmus of Panama on a burro when a child; educated Friends College of
Philadelphia; Jerseyville ILL high School; International College, St.
Louis; studied law, medicine and elocution and excelled as a young man in
amateur theatricals; married, St. Louis, Apr. 22, 1890, Eugenia Lambert
(died 1904); three children, one son, Benjamin, now living; married, 2d,
St. Louis, 1909, Florence Taylor. Engaged in real estate business with B.
F. Hammett, St. Louis, 1887-90; then in same line of business for self;
state superintendent Insurance Department, Knights of Pythias, since 1896.
Republican; stumped State of Missouri in both of the McKinley campaigns
and was offered consulship by President McKinley, but declined. Member
Free Bridge Committee, St. Louis. Clubs: Million Population, Damon (a club
of Pythians), Willow Slough Hunting. Owns a hunting lodge on the
Mississippi River, and a launch thirty-six feet long. Author: A Few
Thoughts for a Few Friends (containing poems, essays and excerpts of
speeches), 1906. Recreations: reading, hunting, fishing and motoring.
Office: 702 Carleton Bldg. Residence: 4128 Morgan Street.
James Ebeneser, lawyer; born, Princeton, Ind., Dec. 29, 1872; son
of Daniel Webster and Agnes (McMillan) Dame; graduated from Wabash
College, Crawfordsville, Ind., A.B., 1895; A.M., 1901, Washington
University, St. Louis, LL.B., 1899; married, Lila Belle Gelwicks, of St.
Louis, Nov. 29, 1910; one son: James E., Jr. Engaged in general practice
of law in St. Louis since 1901; has associated with Fred S. Hall, in firm
of Hall & Dame, since Jan. 1, 1906. Member St. Louis Bar Association,
St. Louis Alumni Association of Delta Tau Delta (secretary), West End
Business Men's Association (chairman legislative committee). Democrat.
Member United Presbyterian Church. Recreations: tennis and canoeing.
Office: 705 Olive St. Residence: 5940 Julian Ave.
DAMERON, Ernest Patton, dental
surgeon; born, Marionville, Lawrence Co., Mo., Nov. 9, 1873; son of John
Haywood and Estelle (Slaughter) Dameron; A.B., Marionville College, 1892;
completed course in Spalding's Commercial College, Kansas City, Mo., 1893;
D.D.S., Western Dental College, Kansas City, Apr. 2, 1898; married, Kansas
City, April, 1900, Cora B. Nixon. Has practiced dentistry in St. Louis
since May, 1898. Professor materia medica and therapeutics, Dental
Department, Barnes University, 1906-07. President National Dental
Association; member board of governors National Mouth Hygiene Association;
member Missouri State Dental Association, St. Louis Dental Society, 8t.
Louis Society of Dental Science, Delta Sigma Delta fraternity; honorary
member Tennessee State Dental Association. Democrat. Methodist. Served in
Third Regiment Band, Missouri National Guard, 1897; now member First
Regiment Band, Missouri National Guard. Member Independent Order Odd
Fellows. Author of several papers on professional subjects, read before
various dental societies and published in dental journals. Recreations:
fishing and golf. Office: 58 De Menil Bldg. Residence: 3803 Windsor
DAMES, Alphonse Ferdinand,
physician; born, St. Paul, Mo., June 15, 1877; son of Francis Joseph and
Laura Renford (Ensor) Dames; educated in classics at Creighton University,
Omaha, Neb.; M.D., Washington University, May 24, 1906; married, St.
Louis, Sept. 19, 1905, Charlotte Ann Lynch; two children: Violet Angela
and Alphonse Ferdinand, Jr. Has practiced in St. Louis since Sept. 1,
1906; gave up general practice Jan. 1, 1909, to specialize in diseases of
the nose, throat and ear; clinician in nose, throat and ear department
Washington University Medical School and Mullanphy Hospital since 1906.
Democrat. Roman Catholic. Member American Medical Association, Missouri
State Medical Association, St. Louis Medical Society, St. Louis
OtoLaryngological Society. Recreations: literature and athletics. Office:
816-818 Metropolitan Bldg. Residence: 3808 W. Pine Boulevard.
Henry, insurance; born, St. Louis, May 2, 1865; son of Herman and
Frances (Grone) Damhorst; educated in St. Nicholas (parish) School till
1877, Brinker Academy, Denver, 1877-78, Smith Academy, Washington
University and Jones Commercial College; married, St. Louis, Sept. 19,
1888, Alice Hafferkamp; one daughter: Edith Josephine Frances (Mrs. Albert
J. Werber). Traveled abroad, 1885-87; bookkeeper and cashier for Adam
Boeck & Co., 1887-91; engaged in general insurance business since
1891. Member Tower Grove Turn Verein, B. P. O. Elks. Recreations: riding
and driving. Office: 604 1/2 Chestnut St. Residence: 3453 Crittenden
DANA, J. D.,
treasurer Commonwealth Trust Co.; born, Lisbon, Me., Mar. 21, 1877; son of
Frank W. and Emma J. (Davis) Dana; educated in public schools and
graduated from Lewiston, Me., high school, 1895; then attended Phillips
Andover Academy, Andover, Mass., graduated, 1896; entered Yale University,
1896, graduating with degree of A.B., 1900; entered Harvard Law School,
1900; admitted to practice law in Massachusetts, 1902; married,
Jacksonville, ILL., Sept. 20, 1902, Clara Robb Brown; two children:
Richard, Robert Brent. Removed to Missouri, 1903; secretary Sligo Furnace
Co., Sligo, Mo., 1903-05; came to St. Louis, 1905, where has been engaged
in the iron business and associated with various real estate syndicates.
Treasurer Missouri Iron Co. since 1907; elected treasurer Commonwealth
Trust Co., 1910; president West End Light and Power Co.; vice president
King's Highway Apartments Co. Republican. Universalist. Clubs: Noonday,
Racquet, Island, City; also Yale (New York). Recreations: hunting, fishing
and genera) outdoor sports. Office: Commonwealth Trust Co. Residence: 4483
vice president Charter Oak Stove and Range Co.; born, St. Louis, Apr. 16,
1873; son of George Davis and Virginia (Lord) Dana; educated in public
schools, Smith Academy and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, class of
1894; married, St. Louis, Nov. 6, 1901, Judith Bledsoe Brown, daughter of
B. Gratz Brown; children: Judith Virginia, George Davis Dana, ILL, and
Mary Leslie. After leaving college served in various capacities with the
Excelsior Manufacturing Co. from Jan. 1, 1894, to July, 1896; since July,
1896, with Charter Oak Stove and Range Co., manufacturers of stoves and
ranges and other cooking and heating apparatus, of which is vice
president. Also president Manufacturers' Equipment Co.; director
Ludlow-Saylor Wire Co., Broadway Savings Trust Co. and Lafayette Mutual
Building Association. Served with Battery A of St. Louis in Missouri
Volunteers, with Puerto Rican Expedition, 1898. Member Chi Phi fraternity,
Sons of the Revolution. Clubs: Algonquin, Noonday, Ochtowan Hunting and
Fishing. Favorite recreations: reading, motoring, hunting and fishing.
Office: Antelope and Conduit Sts. Residence: Brentmoor, St. Louis
DANIELS, Dudley Woodbridge,
secretary and general manager Cole Bros. Lightning Rod Co.; born, Alton,
ILL., Jan. 5, 1869; son of Abram and Lydia Ann (Coleman) Daniels; removed
to St. Louis, 1870; educated in public schools and business colleges of
St. Louis; married, Mar. 1, 1893, Irma Starck. Began working for Cole
Bros, on a small salary, Feb. 7, 1884, and has since remained with the
company, now being director, secretary and general manager. Independent
Republican. Office: 316 S. 7th St. Residence: 3851 Juniata
Albert Edward, treasurer Simmons Hardware Co.; born, Dover,
England, Sept. 22, 1851; son of George and Elizabeth (Brett) Dann;
educated in national schools in England; married, St. Louis, June 13,
1877, Mary Jane Carter; two sons: Edward Carter, William James. Came to
St. Louis in April, 1871; took out final naturalization papers, May 11,
1883. Engaged in February, 1872, with E. C. Simmons & Co., which was
succeeded by Simmons Hardware Co., January, 1874, and has been with that
company ever since; since January, 1886, treasurer of the company.
Nonpartisan. Elder Kingshighway Presbyterian Church. Club: Mercantile.
Office: 900 Spruce St. Residence: 35 Lewis PI.
Clifford W.; born in Knox Co., 0., Mar. 22, 1851; son of Daniel
H. and Harriet L. (Clark) Darby; educated in public schools, Charleston,
ILL., and two years in Christian Brothers College, St. Louis; married, St.
Louis, Dec. 10, 1881, Mary Rice; one son: Clifford T. Began as a clerk in
the St. Louis agency of the Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Co., 1867; was
appointed cashier in 1873, and served as general agent, 1001-07, resigned.
Democrat. Residence: 34 Marshall PI., Webster Groves.
James Waters, real estate; born, St. Louis, May 1, 1856; son of
James E. and Mary A. (Hartnett) Darst; educated in public schools;
married, Denver, Colo., Oct. 16, 1889, Julia A. Perkins; four children:
James E., Nancy Lee, Julia Elizabeth and Mary Catherine. Began business
career in New Mexico, in mining, until 1887; came to St. Louis and engaged
in the coal business until 1890; since 1890 in real estate business;
member of firm of Darst & Downman, 1906-08; since alone. Democrat.
Catholic. Office: Wainwright Bldg. Residence: Ferguson, St. Louis
Joseph Charles, real estate and financial agent; born, Ferguson,
Mo., May 24, 1858; son of James E. and Mary A. (Hartnett) Darst; educated
at St. Louis University; married, St. Louis, Oct. 13, 1886, Annie
Miltenberger; children: Marian, Joseph, Laurence, Alice and Eugene. Began
business career farming in St. Louis Co., until 1886; from 1886 to 1888
proprietor of the Cantine Coal Co., with mines at Marissa, Duquoin,
Oakland and Freeburg. Since 1888 engaged in a general real estate and
financial agency business, making a specialty of railroad, manufacturing,
switching and terminal property. Democrat. Recreation: tennis. Office: 621
Fullerton Bldg. Residence: 4157 Maryland Ave.
DAUERNHEIM, Phillip Jacob,
general manager Glencoe Lime and Cement Co.; born, St. Louis, Nov. 29,
1859; son of Phillip L. and Elizabeth (Rathgeber) Dauernheim; educated in
German Institute and Polytechnic Institute, St. Louis; married, Chicago,
Sept. 12, 1894, Melanie Herrmann; one daughter: Emily M. After leaving
school associated with father in manufacture of lime, with which business
he has since been connected; general manager Glencoe Lime and Cement Co.
since Mar. 1, 1909. Republican. Member Ethical Society. Club: Mercantile.
Recreation: athletic sports. Office: 901, 915 Olive St. Residence: 4142
F., brick work contractor; born, St. Louis, Oct. 30, 1864; son of
Fred J. and Fannie (Hiemaneck) Daues; educated in parochial schools of
Cape Girardeau, Mo., and at Jones' Commercial College; married, Cape
Girardeau, Nov. 26, 1891, Bertha Krueger; five children: August F., Jr.,
Gregory W., Ambrose C, Amelia and Mary. Learned bricklayer's trade and
entered contracting business; secretary and treasurer Daues Bros.;
president Girardeau Building Co. Member Catholic Knights of America,
Knights of Columbus, Master Bricklayers' Association. Democrat. Residence:
2757 Chariton St.
James E., division passenger agent, Louisville & Nashville
Ry.; born, Salem, ILL., Jan. 10, 1866; son of James A. and Nancy C.
(Jennings) Davenport; educated in public schools of Salem, ILL.; married,
at St. Louis, July 11, 1906, Mrs. Grace F. Tait. Assistant agent and
telegraph operator at various points along the Ohio & Mississippi Ry.,
and agent for same road at Lebanon, ILL., 1881-89; passenger and ticket
agent for Cotton Belt Route, St. Louis, 1889-91; joint passenger and
ticket agent for Cotton Belt Route and Clover Leaf Route, St. Louis,
1891-93; district passenger agent for Toledo, St. Louis & Kansas City
Route, in charge of passenger traffic at St. Louis and all territory in
the West and Southwest, 1893-1900; traveling passenger agent Choctaw,
Oklahoma & Gulf R. R., with headquarters at Cincinnati,
October-December, 1900; since Jan. 1, 1901, division passenger agent
Louisville & Nashville Ry., at St. Louis. Member A. F. & A. M.
(Chapter). Clubs: Mercantile, The Traffic of St. Louis. Recreation:
tennis. Office: 312 N. 8th St. Residence: 5796 McPherson Ave.
DAVENPORT, Richard H., life
insurance; born, Sumner, ILL., Mar. 23, 1868; son of Henry L. and
Elizabeth M. (Hawkins) Davenport; educated in public schools of Sumner and
St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Feb. 11, 1891, Amanda Norberg; children:
Richard H., Jr., and Ruth L. Began active career in newspaper work, with
Sumner Press, continuing one year; then cigar salesman, 1884-87; in cigar
business for self, 1887-89; since in life insurance business. Was general
agent in St. Louis for Federal Life Insurance Co. of Chicago, about seven
years; supervisor of agencies, St. Louis, for Security Life Insurance Co.
of Chicago, two years; agency manager Pioneer Life Insurance Co. of
America since 1911. Democrat. Methodist. Recreations: fishing and reading.
Office: 705 Olive St. Residence: 4736 Washington Boul.
DAVIES, William Harbin, lawyer;
born, Richmond, Ind.. Jan. 23, 1877; son of William and Sarah (Ransford)
Davis; educated in common, high and business schools of Richmond; student
University of Indianapolis, 1898 and 1899; LL.B., Columbian (now George
Washington) University, Washington, D. C, 1901; LL.M., National
University, 1902; married, Washington, D. C, .June 12, 1907, Nellie A.
Everett, of Fremont, O.; one child: Everett Tindall. Admitted to practice
in Missouri state and federal courts, 1902, and in U. S. Supreme Court,
1906, having previously practiced in Supreme Court and Court of Appeals,
District of Columbia, the U. S. Court of Claims, and the Patent and
Pension bureaus at Washington; in office of general solicitor of Missouri
Pacific Ry., 1902, then opened office on own account. Member St. Louis Bar
Association. Republican. Methodist; trustee City Evangelization Union.
Mason; member Odd Fellows. Club: Methodist. Office: Merchants-Laclede
Bldg. Residence: Hampton Ave., Clayton, Mo.
Carroll Melvin, dean Christ Church Cathedral; born, Campo Seco,
Calaveras Co., Cal., Sept. 9, 1857; son of Thomas F. and Sarah M. (Chase)
Davis; received primary education in public schools; entered University of
California, 1875, and graduated, B.A., 1879, M.A., 1882; married, St.
Louis, Oct. 12, 1897, Miss Maud Reber (died, 1903). Deacon, 1881, priest,
1883, Episcopal Church; rector St. Paul's Church, Sacramento, Cal.,
1881-87; diocesan missionary, Missouri, 1887-89; dean Christ Church
Cathedral, St. Louis, since 1889. Trustee School of Social Economy.
Republican. Mason. Clubs: City, Contemporary. Recreation: fishing. Office:
1210 Locust St. Residence: 3141 Locust St.
B., lawyer; born, Hannibal, Mo., Mar. 9, 1877; son of William A.
and Mary F. (Mills) Davis; graduated Hannibal High School, 1897; A.B.,
University of Missouri, 1902, LL.B., 1905; unmarried. Admitted to Missouri
bar, 1905, and has since engaged in practice in St. Louis; associated in
practice with State Senator Charles F. Krone, 1905-09; appointed assistant
circuit attorney, January, 1909, a position he now holds. Republican.
Member Christian (Disciples) Church. Member St. Louis Bar Association, Phi
Delta Phi, Phi Beta Kappa and Royal Arcanum. Formerly president
Twenty-fourth Ward Improvement Association; now vice president
Gratiot-Lindenwood Improvement Association. Mason. Club: St. Louis
Railway. Recreation: fishing. Office: Municipal Courts Bldg. Residence:
6717 Arsenal St.
Dwight Filley, park commissioner; born, St. Louis, July 5, 1879;
son of John Tilden and Maria (Filley) Davis; graduated from Smith
Academy, 1895; A.B., Harvard, 1900; LL.B., St. Louis Law School, 1903;
married, Geneva, Switzerland, Nov. 15, 1905, Helen Brooks; two
children: Dwight F., Jr., Alice. President Security Building Co.;
director State National Bank. Member board of control St. Louis
Museum of Fine Arts; member Public Library Board, 1904-07; public baths
commissioner, 1903-06; public recreation commissioner, 1906-07; member
House of Delegates, 1907-09; member Board of Public Improvements and
serving as park commissioner since 1911; Republican. Vice president St.
Louis Playgrounds Association, 1905-08; director St. Louis Tenement House
Association, St. Louis Association for Prevention of
Tuberculosis, National Municipal League;
member National Civic Association,
etc. Clubs: Noonday, University, Missouri Athletic, St. Louis Country,
Racquet. Recreations: golf, fishing. Office: City Hall. Residence: 16
Emery Emmett, vice president and general manager Davis Expansion
Boring Tool Co., Inc.; born, Jefferson City, Mo., Jan. 4, 1874; Bon of
Robert E. and Matilda (Abbott) Davis; educated in public schools; married,
St. Louis, Aug. 25, 1898, Lotta Beatrice Koeln; one daughter: Theola
Loyal. Came to St. Louis, at eighteen, and learned trade of machinist,
filling position of foreman of the shop, 1896-1900; invented the Davis
expansion boring tool, adjusting to any size within its range, securing
patent October, 1905: organized the Davis Expansion Boring Tool Co., of
which is vice president and general manager. Republican. Baptist.
Recreations: bowling and billiards. Office: 3722 Forest Park Boul.
Residence: 1405 N. Park PI.
Everett, real estate; born. Pikevine, Ind., Nov. 17, 1882; son of
T. W. and Rachel L. (Russell) Davis; educated in public and high schools
of Ava, Mo.; married, Blanch M. Mepham, June 10, 1908; one son: Everett,
Jr. Lived one year at Spokane Falls, Wash., returned to Ava, and from
there came to St. Louis, in 1900; was private secretary to George Warren
Brown, of The Brown Shoe Co., for over two years; then established the
Everett Davis Mail Order Co., and conducted same until July, 1904, when
organized The Davis Realty Co., which later was changed to The Davis
Realty Development Co., of which is president and manager. Member St.
Louis Real Estate Exchange, Business Men's League. Republican. Member
Union M. E. Church. Mason (32°), Knight Templar, Shriner. Clubs:
Mercantile, City. Favorite recreations: music, tennis and rowing. Office:
816 Olive St. Residence: 6181 Westminster PI.
George Wesley, general freight agent Vandalia Railroad Co.; born,
Baltimore, Md., Dec. 21, 1845; son of William B. and Mary E.
(Purdy) Davis; educated public grammar and high schools, Cincinnati,
until 1863; married Olivia R. Shearer, of Cincinnati, Jan. 7, 1869; two
daughters: Lillian A. (Mrs. Frank B. Rutledge, of Zanesville, O.) and
Nellie P. (Mrs. Clifford L. Myers, of Cincinnati). Began railway service
as clerk, Little Miami R. R. (now Cincinnati division of the P., C, C.
& St. L. Ry.), Cincinnati, Mar. 1, 1864, with which remained until
1869 as clerk, chief clerk, in general freight office; agent, same road,
at Morrow, O., Apr. 1, 1869, to May 24, 1882, and at Dayton, O., May 25,
1882, to July 24, 1885; general freight and passenger agent Cincinnati
& Muskingum Valley Ry. (a part of Pennsylvania Lines). at Zanesville,
O.. July 25, 1885, to Oct. 14, 1888; division freight agent Chicago and
Richmond divisions, P., C. C. & St. L. Ry., Richmond, Ind., Oct. 15,
1888, to Apr. 30, 1897; division freight agent, Cincinnati division, same
road, at Cincinnati, May 1, 1897, to Mar. 20, 1903; genera] freight agent,
C, A. & C. Ry., and commercial agent, P., C C. & St. L. Rv., at
Columbus, O.. Mar. 21, 1903, to Jan. 20, 1907; general freight agent
Vandalia Railroad Co., St. Louis, since Jan. 21, 1907. Member
National Geographic Society, Washington. Mason (32°), Knight Templar,
Shriner; member Royal Arcanum, National Union. Clubs: Mercantile, Traffic
Club of St. Louis. Office: 1308 Syndicate Bldg. Residence: 456 N. Newstead
David, vice president Mississippi Valley Trust Co.; born St.
Louis, Mar. 30, 1851; son of Horatio N. and Margaret (Johnston) Davis;
educated at Smith Academy, Washington University, St. Louis, and Princeton
University, graduating, A.B., 1872, A.M., 1875; graduated from St. Louis
Law School. LL.B., 1874; married, St. Louis. Nov. 6, 1877, Marion,
daughter of John R. Lionberger; one son: John Lionberger Davis (lawyer,
St. Louis). Practiced law in St. Louis from 1874 to 1903; since vice
president of the Mississippi Valley Trust Co. Also president Lindell Real
Estate Co., Atchison Water Co.; vice president St. Louis Cotton Compress
Co. Democrat. Presbyterian. Trustee of Princeton University. Member
Business Men's League, Merchants' Exchange, Civic League. Member St. Louis
Bar Association, Missouri Historical Society, St. Louis Academy of
Science. Clubs: University (president, 1898-1899, 1904, 1905),
Noonday, Country, Bellerive Country (president), St. Louis, Florissant
Valley and Princeton (St. Louis), University (New York City), Adirondack
League (New York). Recreation: golf. Office: N.W. cor. Fourth and Pine
Sts. Residence: Brentmoor Park, Wydown and Pennsylvania Aves.
DAVIS, John Lionberger, lawyer;
born, St. Louis, Oct. 2, 1878; son of John D. Davis and Marion S.
(Lionberger) Davis; educated at Smith Academy, St. Louis; Lawrenceville
(N. J.) School; Princeton University, A.B., 1900; Harvard Law School; St.
Louis Law School, LL.B., 1903; married, Nov. 1, 1906, Julie M. Vietor;
children: Marion Lionberger, Anne Vietor and George Vietor. Engaged in
practice of law from 1903; assistant counsel St. Louis & Suburban
Railway System, 1904-05; member of law firm of Jones, Jones, Hocker &
Davis since 1907. Member American Bar Association, St. Louis Bar
Association, American Political Science Association. Member Civic League,
Neighborhood Association (president). Interested in settlement work.
Member Missouri Historical Society. Clubs: University, Round Table, St.
Louis Country, Bellerive Country, Noonday; also University, Princeton (New
York). Office: 506 Olive St. Residence: Brentmoor Park, St. Louis
T., capitalist; born in St. Louis; son of John T. and Maria J.
(Filley) Davis; grandfather, Samuel C. Davis, and father, John T. Davis,
were prominent merchants of St. Louis, and in their lifetime were
identified with such old firms as Davis, Tilden & Co., established
1835, and Samuel C. Davis & Co.; at death of father, John T. Davis,
succeeded to management of father's estate. Director St. Louis Union Trust
Co. Member City Council. Clubs: St. Louis, University, Noonday, Racquet,
St. Louis Country. Office: 220 Security Bldg. Residence: 47 Portland
T., lawyer; born, Berger, Franklin Co., Mo., Aug. 13, 1881; son
of Levi J. and Martha Jane (Mahon) Davis; educated district school,
Berger; high school, Jefferson City, Mo.; Columbia (Mo.) Normal Academy,
receiving degree of B.S., 1900; LL.B., Law Department, University of
Missouri, 1904; married, St. Louis, Oct. 3, 1906, Laura May Strong; one
child: Virginia May, born Aug. 12, 1910. Began practice at Union, Mo.,
1904; removed to St. Louis same year and has since practiced in this city;
associated with Judge R. E. and Edgar R. Bonbauer; member executive board
Orodol Chemical Co. Democrat; nominee for prosecuting attorney of Franklin
Co., Mo., 1904. Presbyterian. Brevet second lieutenant, Missouri National
Guard; first lieutenant Company I, First Regiment, Missouri National
Guard, 1905-06. Member St. Louis Bar Association. Mason; was member Order
Railway Telegraphers of America, 1898-1906. Club: City. Recreations:
fishing, hunting. Office: 808-810 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 4252A Cook
Manton, lawyer; born, Mayfield, Ky., July 15, 1876; son of Robert
Thomas and Sallie Elizabeth (Jenkins) Davis; educated in private schools
and West Kentucky College, Mayfield; graduated with degree of accountant
from Bryant & Stratton Business College, Louisville, Ky., 1895; LL.B.,
University of Virginia, 1901; unmarried. Began business career as shipping
clerk in the May-field (Ky.) Woolen Mills, 1890-95; bookkeeper for same,
1895-99; admitted to bar in June, 1901; member firm of Pearce & Davis,
1903-09, Pearce, Davis & Curlee, 1909-11, since alone. Member St.
Louis Bar Association. Democrat. Baptist. Clubs: Normandie Golf, City,
Code. Office: Wright Bldg. Residence: 5189 Raymond Ave.
Robert Hill, physician; born, University, Va., Sept. 20, 1875;
son of John Staige and Caroline Kean (Hill) Davis; educated in University
of Virginia, B.A., 1899, M.A., 1900, M.D., 1901; post-graduate student
University of Berlin, Germany, 1902, Vienna, Austria, 1903, New York City,
1904; married, Ocean Springs, Miss., Dec. 28, 1910, Ora May Lewis; one
child: Mathilde. Removed to St. Louis in 1905; assistant physician to
out-patients, Washington University, St. Louis Children's Hospital;
lecturer on physiology and skin diseases, Bethesda Training School; chief
department of dermatology, Jewish Dispensary, and alternate associate in
dermatology, Jewish Hospital. Member American Medical Association,
Missouri State Medical Association, St. Louis Medical Society, Phi Kappa
Psi and Nu Sigma Nu fraternities. Independent Democrat. Episcopalian.
Recreation: outdoor sports. Office: 4500 Olive St. Residence: 770A Aubert
Thomas Dewees, manufacturer of machinery; born, Morristown, N.
J., Mar. 4, 1856; son of Thomas D. and. Helen (Roper) Davis; educated in
public schools; married, St. Louis, Dec. 25, 1884, Fannie Myra Page;
children: Montrose P., Eleanor Margaret, Fannie Myra, Thomas D., Jr.,
Louis P. Began business career at Smithville, N. J., as apprentice, and
learned trade of machinist; came to 8t. Louis, 1877, and worked for Hall
& Brown as machinist and later as foreman; established in business for
self in 1882, and in 1888 became partner with Charles B. Fisher in present
firm of Fisher & Davis Manufacturing Co., manufacturers of machinery,
etc. Office: 934 N. Main St. Residence: 5237 Vernon Ave.
William Work, manufacturer of leaded art glass; born, Meadville,
Pa., Dec. 5, 1848; son of William and Mary (Johnson) Davis; educated
Allegheny College, Meadville, and Bryant, Stratton & Smith Commercial
College; married, Titusville, Pa., Aug. 26, 1874, Mary Frances Tefft (died
1898). In banking business in Titusville and Oil City, Pa., 1869-87;
represented the Standard Oil interest in Mahoning Gas Co., Youngstown, O.,
1887-89; associated with George W. Chambers, St. Louis, 1889, leaded glass
and interior decorations, until death of Mr. Chambers, 1897; since in
business on own account; also vice president St. Louis Galveston Coal Co.
Republican. Presbyterian. President Pennsylvania Society of St. Louis.
Recreation: traveling abroad. Office: 3922 Olive St. Residence: West End
DAWSON, James Parrish, lawyer: born in Woodford Co., Ky., July 17, 1851; son of John D. and Mary J. (Bell) Dawson; graduated from Washington University, LL.B., 1876; married, Centralia, HI., Sept. 3, 1881, Dell Mead; children: James Clifford, Frances. Was admitted to bar at St. Louis immediately after graduation in May, 1876, and has been continuously engaged in practice of law at St. Louis ever since; practice confined exclusively to the civil courts, and chiefly to corporation and probate law; member of law firm of Dawson & Garvin, with William E. Garvin as partner. Republican. Club: Mercantile. Office: 820-823 Wainwright Bldg. Residence: Webster Groves, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
Wilton, merchant in rubber goods; born, Marlborough, Hartford
Co., Conn., May 6, 1844; son of Asa and Charlotte Potter (Jones) Day;
educated at Bacon Academy, Colchester, Conn.; State Normal School, New
Britain, Conn.; Wilbraham, Mass.; Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass., 1862,
Yale College, 1864-65; left college, 1865, to engage in cotton business;
married, Detroit, Mich., June 10, 1869, Mary Rebecka Coit; children:
Robert C, Marion (Mrs. F. D. Seward), Alice Coit. With brother, John W.
Day, engaged in construction and running of a cotton yarn mill, 1865, in
Marlborough, Conn.; with Samuel J. Day, another brother, in construction
and running of a cotton yarn factory in Bridgewater, Conn., but latter
factory was destroyed by fire soon after completion; sold out all interest
in the yarn business, 1869, and became state agent for Connecticut for the
Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Co., of New Jersey; soon after associated
with Capt. H. P. Goddard, as Day & Goddard, adding fire insurance,
real estate and loans to the business; sold out in 1882 and removed to St.
Louis and engaged in rubber business with brother, Samuel J. Day, as Day
Bros. & Co.; bought out brother's interest in 1884 and incorporated
business as Day Rubber Co., of which became president and treasurer,
though since October, 1901, son Robert C. Day, vice president, takes most
of the burden of active management of the company, which has a jobbing
business in rubber goods, leather and cotton belting, pulleys, shafting,
hangers, etc. Also president Buffalo Zinc and Copper Co.; director New
York Zinc and Lead Co., Missouri Leadfields Co.; proprietor Day Metal Co.
Member Business Men's League. Democrat up to "free silver" craze, since
independent. Member Connecticut House of Representatives, 1868, as
Democrat. Brought up Methodist; Congregationalist since 1866. Clubs:
Mercantile, Glen Echo Country. Recreations: golf and automobiling. Office:
415-417 N. 4th St. Residence: 5117 Westminster PI.
DEACON, Arthur Richard, secretary
Lambert Pharmacal Co.; born, Witham, Essex, Eng., Nov. 7, 1858; son of
Arthur and Mercy Elizabeth (Tuck) Deacon; educated at Witham School;
married at Toronto, Can., 1897, to Miss Edith M. Harris; children: Arthur
Philip, Edith Victoria, Virginia Kettering. Engaged in manufacture of
pharmaceuticals since 1881; now secretary of the Lambert Pharmacal Co.
Also vice president Allen & Hanburys Co., Ltd., Toronto, Can., and
Niagara Falls, N. Y.; director Lambert-Deacon-Hull Printing Co., St. Louis
Surfacer Faint Co. Mason. Clubs: Algonquin (founder and first president),
Mercantile. Recreation: golf. Office: 2101 Locust St. Residence: Webster
Robert Tuck, printer, stationer, etc.; born, Witham, Eng., June
21, 1866; son of Arthur and Mercy Edith (Tuck) Deacon; educated in public
schools of Detroit, Mich.; married, Detroit, 1892, Ethelwyn Ruth Allen;
children: Margaret, Ralph, Robert T., Jr., Richard, Dorothy. Came from
England, with father, in 1873, and lived in North Carolina, 1873-75; moved
to Detroit, 1875, and after leaving school was in newspaper work in
Detroit, from office boy with the Detroit Evening News to manager of the
Detroit Times; went to Cleveland, 1892, as advertisement manager of the
Cleveland World, and afterward ran the Cleveland Voice; came from
Cleveland to St. Louis and took position with the Buxton & Skinner
Stationery Co., and in August, 1901, joined in organizing the
Lambert-Deacon-Hull Printing Co., stationers, engravers, printers and
blank book makers, of which is secretary and treasurer; treasurer Ben
Franklin Club of America; president Ben Franklin Club of St. Louis;
director Kirkwood Building and Loan Association. Republican. Episcopalian.
Clubs: Algonquin Golf (treasurer), Mercantile. Favorite recreations: golf,
tennis and other outdoor exercises. Office: 2100 Locust St. Residence:
K., typewriters; born, Washington, D. C, Jan. 5, 1859; son of
William Gott and Emmeline F. (Phillips) Deale; educated in public schools
of Washington, D. C, and Virginia Military College; married, Apr. 23,
1905, Grace Dodson. Began business career in 1878, in stationery house at
Washington, D. C; two years later engaged with Wilson Bros., Chicago,
wholesale furnishing goods, remaining there three years when with brother
established in grocery business. Owing to brother's ill health, sold out
and in 1889 accepted position with the Remington Typewriter Co., at
Chicago, was made assistant manager in 1893 and in February, 1897, was
transferred to St. Louis office, of which has since been manager.
Independent in politics. Christian Scientist. Mason (32°); Knight of
Pythias. Member T. P. A. Clubs: Mercantile, City. Recreation: fishing.
Office: 821 Pine St. Residence: 5744 Cates Ave.
Charles Luther, retired; born, Dracut, Mass., Dec. 19, 1844; son
of James and Sarah Bowers (Chase) Dean; educated in grammar and high
schools in Providence and Pawtucket, R. I.; married, St. Louis, June 8,
1865, Georgie E. Jenks; children: Charles L. (deceased), George J.,
William W., Harriet Allen (Mrs. William H. Johnston, of Easton, Md.),
Duncan W.r Louis F. Began business career, April, 1859, as office boy with
manufacturing company at Providence, R. I.; messenger, Bank of North
America, Providence, May, 1861; clerk in Clark Bros. & Co., banking
house, 1863-69; in railroad work from June 1, 1870, until Apr. 1, 1886;
from Apr. 1, 1886, to Sept. 1, 1909, actively connected with the
Ludlow-Saylor Wire Co., as vice president. Also vice president and
director St. Louis Transfer Co. Member Merchants' Exchange. Republican.
Formerly member of National Guard. Recreation: traveling. Residence: 1827
McHale, physician and surgeon; born, St. Louis, Aug. 29, 1874;
son of O. M. and Mary (Kilker) Dean; graduated from St. Louis University,
A.B., 1893, A.M., 1896; M.D., Medical Department, Washington University,
1896; unmarried. Interne and assistant superintendent, City Hospital,
1896-99; since engaged in general practice as physician and surgeon in St.
Louis; practice limited to surgery since 1909; surgeon St. Mary's
Infirmary since 1909. Independent in politics. Catholic. Member American
Surgical Association, Missouri State Medical Association, St. Louis
Medical Society, City Hospital Alumni Association, Knights of Columbus.
Club: Century Boat. Office: Metropolitan Bldg. Residence: 2855 Meramec
DEAN, Owen M.,
secretary and treasurer Hadley-Dean Glass Co.; born in Mayo Co., Ireland,
Nov. 12, 1838; son of Martin and Ann (Gallagher) Dean; attended the
Bellmullet Mercantile and Mathematical Academy until 14 years; on arrival
in this country attended high school in Cincinnati; married, St. Louis,
Nov. 14, 1858, Mary Kilker; children: Eugene G., Cecelia (now Mrs. George
F. Hefferman), Alice (Mrs. Leo G. Hadley, who is now deceased), Agnes (now
Mrs. Ralph W. Warner), Dr. John McHale and Julia. Arrived in United States
in the early part of 1853, with parents, who expected to settle in this
country, but they, and a younger brother, returned to Ireland in the
spring of 1854. He remained with a friend, the leading grocer in
Cincinnati, and entered his employ as a clerk; a year later he began to
learn steam engine business; after mastering business came to St. Louis
and helped to make machinery for gunboats during Civil War. In 1866
established the firm of O. M. Dean & Co., wholesale produce and
commission merchants, which continued until 1896; since March, 1897,
secretary and treasurer the Hadley-Dean Glass Co. Roman Catholic. Joined
in 1854 atCincinnati, O., the Young Men's Sodality and transferred
membership to the mother society of the St. Louis University Sodality in
St. Louis. Was member Merchants' Exchange, 1866-98. Recreation: chess.
Office: 11th and Lucas Ave. Residence: 2855 Meramec St.
DE CAMP, Frank
B., vice president De Camp Bros. & Yule Coal and Coke Co.;
born, Cincinnati, July 8, 1866; son of Lambert and Lydia (Garwood) De
Camp; educated in Cincinnati public schools; married, Cincinnati, October,
1891, Helen M. Jewett; children: Arthur L., Frank B., Jr., Cecelia, Joseph
M. Began business career with Rogers, Brown & Co., pig iron,
Cincinnati, and continued five years; came to St. Louis in 1890, and
engaged in iron, coal and coke business with A. P. De Camp & Co., firm
later becoming De Camp & Yule, to which was admitted in 1897; business
was incorporated in 1902 under present style of De Camp Bros. & Yule
Iron, Coal and Coke Co., of which is vice president. One of organizers,
1900, of St. Louis Blast Furnace Co., of which is vice president and
general manager. Republican. Christian Scientist. Club: Normandie Golf.
Favorite recreation: golf. Office: Missouri Trust Bldg. Residence: 940
F., lawyer; born, St. Louis, Aug. 21, 1869; son of Ernst W. and
Effie (Bruns) Decker; educated in public and high schools of St. Louis,
graduating 1888; St. Louis Law School, 1888-90; married, St. Louis, June
30, 1904, Magda Orbach; children: Dorothea M. and Gustav F., Jr. Read law
while attending law school in office of Rassieur & Schnurmacher;
admitted to bar in 1891; began practice in office of Paul F. Coste, and
remained with him until 1893, when entered office of Charles Nagel; became
member of firm of Finkelnberg, Nagel & Kirby, Jan. 1, 1903, and on
dissolution of firm in June, 1905, became a member of its successor, Nagel
& Kirby. Republican. Member American and St. Louis Bar associations,
Ethical Societv of St. Louis. Club: City. Office: 700 Security Bldg.
Residence: Webster Groves, Mo.
Florian; born, Naples, Italy, Aug. 27, 1858; son of Dr. Otto and
Angiolina (Di Franza) De Donato; twenty-second in a family of twenty-three
children; educated at College of Capuano; married, St. Louis, May 3, 1879,
Theresa B. Keating; sixteen children, of whom following are living: Annie
(Mrs. A. R. Fiorita), Mamie (Mrs. V. R. Fiorita), Florian, Jr., Kathryne
(Mrs. James McGrath), Marguerita (Mrs. F. Silberstein), Otto, Vincent,
Loretta, Saveria. Learned hair dressing and wig making at Naples under
uncle (who later came to America and established in business in St.
Louis); emigrated to United States, 1871, and became uncle's successor.
Republican. Catholic. Member of Order of Elks, St. Vincent De Paul
Society, Italian American Cavalry. Office: Basement Carleton Bldg.
Residence: 4920A McPhereon Ave.
DEGENHART, Joseph Henry, real
estate; born, St. Louis, Jan. 16, 1852; son of John C. and Rosina
(Guckert) Degenhart; educated St. Vincent's College, Cape Girardeau, Mo.,
and later at St. Louis University; married, St. Louis, Oct. 6, 1874, Emma
Koerntgen, of Arnsberg, Germany; children: Joseph C, Lulu (Mrs. Henry G.
Garthoffner), Harry J., Alice (Mrs. James B. Purcell), Carl D. and Emma.
Began active career in retail lumber business, continuing 1876-1904; sold
out to H. F. Reis & Co.; proprietor planing mill, Joplin, Mo.,
1904-07; in wholesale lumber business, 1907-08; identified with the real
estate business since 1909. Director of "Herold des Glaubens." Democrat.
Catholic. A patron of German Orphan Society. Office: 7428 Michigan Ave.
Residence: 7128 Michigan Ave.
Frederick, flour, hay and grain commission; born, St. Louis, Feb.
10, 1854; son of Louis and Barbara (Wolf) Deibel; educated in public and
private schools and night schools in St. Louis; married, St. Louis, April,
1879, Emma Meyer; children: Albert, Robert, Myra (Mrs. A. M. Wilson),
Charles, George, Fred. William. Began business career at age of fifteen as
clerk with Yaeger & Co., flour, for about a year; then for two years
with Holthaus & Bro., store and office fixtures; in wholesale drug
business of Scott & Mellier and Donnell, Tilden & Co., until 1876,
when returned to flour, grain and hay commission business, in which has
continued ever since; president of the Anchor Hay and Grain Co. Also
president of the National Warehouse and Storage Co. Member Merchants'
Exchange, Business Men's League. Republican. English Lutheran. Clubs:
Missouri Athletic, Rotary, Recreation: horseback riding. Office: 22d and
Morgan Sts.; also 10th St. and Walnut Ave., East St. Louis, 111.
Residence: 1737 Euclid Avenue.
DEITERING, Charles H., architect;
born, St. Louis; son of John and Maria M. Deitering; educated public
schools; Central High School; Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
Boston; married, St. Louis, Dec. 10, 1902, Emma Briedenbach. Began active
career in office of Isaac S. Taylor, architect, continuing with him until
1897, since operating on own account. Architect of many buildings in St.
Louis, including works of St. Louis Cordage Co., The Morrison. The Adams,
the M. Jacobs loft buildings, works of Standard Bagging Co., St. Louis
Screw Co.. Pechman Hotel, Hotel Linden, the Chesterfield and Louise
Apartment buildings, Warwick Court. Knickerbocker Hotel, and many private
residences. Drew plans for Chinese Government Building and Brazil
Building, the Distillery (Old Times) and many minor structures at
Louisiana Purchase Exposition, the Chinese Government Building gaining the
grand prize, and the Distillery a gold medal. Republican. Clubs: St. Louis
Architectural, Century Boat. Recreations: boating, motoring and dancing.
Office: 1320, 705 Olive St.
Wallace, insurance; born in Cincinnati, O., May 1, 1840; son of
John and Edith (Wallace) Delafield; educated in Edward Wyman's School and
Durkan's School, St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Apr. 23, 1874, Elizabeth
T. Hanenkamp; children: Agnes Hanenkamp (now Mrs. A. W. Niedringhaus),
Wallace, Jr., Edith, Elizabeth, Edna Simmons. Began active career in 1854,
and was clerk for F. A. Hunt & Co., 1854, for William N. Newell, 1856,
Pomeroy & Benton, 1857; member of firm of William H. Benton & Co.,
wholesale Dry goods, 1864-69; firm selling out in 1869 to Chase &
Cabot, entered into partnership with Lewis E. Snow, under present style of
Delafield & Snow, and since 1869 has been engaged in general insurance
business. Member Merchants' Exchange. Member St. Peter's Episcopal Church;
was treasurer of Diocese of Missouri several years; now president Sunday
School Missionary Host of Missouri. Member Sons of the Revolution, Society
of Colonial Wars, Missouri Historical Society. Mason. Clubs: St. Louis
(treasurer), Mercantile, Normandie Golf, Bellerive Golf. Favorite
recreations: golf and fishing. Office: 1415 Fierce Bldg. Residence: 5028
DELAHUNT, William Vincent,
trust officer Commonwealth Trust Co.; born, Chester, Pa., Feb. 24, 1870;
son of Edward and Helen (Nolan) Delahunt; educated in public schools and
at Gilbert's Academy, Chester; unmarried. Read law in office at Chester,
and was admitted to Pennsylvania bar in 1892; practiced law at Chester
until came to St. Louis, 1896; was in office of Charles H. Turner until
the organization, in 1901, of the Commonwealth Trust Co., of which has
since been trust officer. Secretary and treasurer of St. Charles and St.
Louis County Bridge Co. Office: Commonwealth Trust Co., Broadway and Olive
St. Residence: 775 N. Euclid Ave.
DELANO, Frederic Adrian, railway
president; born, Hong Kong, China, Sept. 10, 1863; son of Warren and
Catherine Robbins (Lyman) Delano (both natives of Massachusetts); lived
most of boyhood at Newburg, N. Y.; A.B., Harvard, 18S5; married, Matilda
A. Peasley, of Chicago, Nov, 22, 1888; children: Catherine, Louise and
Laura. Began railway service with the C, B. & Q. R. R. Co., with
engineering party in Colorado, Aug. 1, 1885; entered Aurora ILL. shops,
same road, Oct. 1, 1885, as apprentice machinist; appointed temporarily
acting engineer of tests at Aurora, April, 1887; placed in charge bureau
rail inspection at Chicago, July 1, 1887; assistant to second vice
president at Chicago, April, 1889; superintendent freight terminals at
Chicago, July, 1890: superintendent motive power at Chicago, Feb. 1, 1899;
general manager at Chicago, C, B. & Q. R. R., July 1, 1901-Jan. 10,
1905. After leaving service of Burlington was consulting engineer to War
Department, in relation to railroads in Philippine Islands; Wheeling &
Lake Erie R. R. Co., Wabash-Pittsburgh Terminal Railway Co. since May 1,
1905; first vice president Wabash R. R., May 1, - Oct. 5, 1905, president
since Oct. 5, 1905, also one of receivers same. Member American Society
Civil Engineers, American Institute of Mining Engineers, Western Society
Engineers, American Association for the Advancement of Science, American
Railway Association, Franklin Institute, American Master Mechanics'
Association, American Master Car Builders' Association, International
Railway Congress, Western Railway Club, Chicago. Clubs: Union League,
University, Chicago, Chicago Literary, Commercial (Chicago), St. Louis
(St. Louis). Office: Title Guaranty Bldg.
John O'Fallon, physician; born, St. Louis, Dec. 16, 1841; son of
Dennis (M.D.) and Octavia (Mullanphy) Delany; general education at St.
Louis University and abroad; M.D., Medical Department of Columbia College,
New York City, 1866; married, St. Louis, 1893, Elizabeth Sloan, Has never
practiced medicine; devotes time to looking after the estate left by
father. Catholic. Office: 16 N. 8th St. Residence: 5105 Lindell
president of Missouri Fire Brick Co.; born, Covington, Ky.; came to St.
Louis at fifteen years of age, with an elder brother; married in St.
Louis, Dec. 21, 1892, Miss Mary Wash, youngest daughter of Capt. Martin W.
and Margaret Jane (Humphreys) Wash, of St. Louis Co.; children: John
Morrison, Dorothy, Gertrude, Virginia and Humphrey Wash. In 1864 employed
by Moody, Michel & Co., wholesale grocers, as assistant bookkeeper;
went to Augusta, Ga., 1870; returned to St. Louis, 1873, on account of ill
health; with the Evens & Howard Fire Brick Co., as bookkeeper and
traveling salesman, 1874-80; with Laclede Fire Brick Co., as traveling
agent, 1880-1900; in June, 1900, elected president and general manager
Missouri Fire Brick Co., and holds same position at present. Mason; member
Occidental Lodge No. 163, A. F. & A. M. Democrat. Member Missouri
Manufacturers' Association, American Gas Institute, New York. Club:
Missouri Athletic. Office: Continental Bank Bldg., 411 Olive St Residence:
5121 Von Versen Ave.
LONG, Ralph Leighman, vice president Mill Shoals Cooperage Co.;
born, Oconto, Wis., Feb. 3, 1879; son of Charles Henry and A. Freddie
(McCausland) De Long; educated in public schools at Omaha to 1894; from
Omaha High School, 1897; married, Omaha, Oct 10, 1903, Mary Elizabeth
Livesey; four children: Ralph Leonard, Henry Livesey, Rebecca, William J.
Began active business career with Raber Printing Co., Omaha, 1897-1899;
with Omaha Packing Co. as purchasing agent until 1902; engaged as broker
in packing house supply business, Omaha, 1902-03; removed to St. Louis,
July 1,1903, when became salesman Ozark Cooperage & Lumber Co., until
resigned, Jan. 1, 1906; since vice president and sales manager Mill Shoals
Cooperage Co. Republican. Congregationalist. Mason (32°), Shriner. Club:
Mercantile. Office: Syndicate Trust Bldg. Residence: Webster Groves,
DE MENIL, Alexander Nicolas,
literary editor, author and capitalist; born, St. Louis, Mar. 23, 1849;
son of Dr. Nicolas N. and Emelie Sophie (Chouteau) De Menil; educated at
Christian Brothers College and Washington University, St. Louis, and
Central University, Indiana, receiving the degrees of B.S., M.S., A.M.,
LL.B., Ph.D., and LL.D. Married twice; children: Henry Nicolas (M.D.), of
Seattle, Wash., and George Shelley; present wife formerly Miss Bessie
Bacon, of Carlyle, ILL. Admitted to the bar in 1871; practiced law until
1882; then abandoned the law to devote his time to literature and his
large property interests; owns the De Menil Building. Elected to the House
of Delegates in 1877 and to the City Council in 1879; defeated for mayor
in 1893. Served several terms as Grand Orator Ancient Order of United
Workmen and Lieutenant Colonel Select Knights of America; president French
Fete Association, Society of the Fourteenth of July and the French
Benevolent Society. President Americus, Papyrus Club, Irving, and other
literary societies; one of the three St. Louisans elected member Poetry
Society of America (New York). Was a member of the Louisiana Purchase
Centennial Committee of 200 and a director Louisiana Purchase Exposition
Co. For forty years has been contributor to eastern and home Sunday
newspapers, literary weeklies, magazines and reviews; has conducted
magazines himself, notably "The St. Louis Magazine" (1883-90), and since
1894 has edited and published "The Hesperian," a high-class review.
Author: The Literature of the Louisiana Territory; Songs in Minority;
Forest and Town; and other works in prose and verse. Wrote almost all the
literary papers in the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri (6 vols.),
and the Encyclopaedia of the History of St. Louis (4 vols.). Office: De
Menil Bldg. Residence: 3352 S. 13th St.
E., vice president St. Louis Independent Packing Co.; born, St.
Louis, Dec. 22, 1860; son of Emil G. and Margaret (Juengst) Dennig, both
natives of Germany; educated in private schools and German Institute, St.
Louis; married, St. Louis, Nov. 22, 1898, Marie Schaefer; one son: Louis
S. Began active career, 1877, with firm of C. Conrad & Co.,
originators of Budweiser bottle beer; was serving as buyer for the firm
when the business was acquired by the Budweiser Beer and Wine Co.; later
became local manager Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association; was elected
secretary and treasurer Delmar Garden Amusement Co., continuing, 1900-06;
member firm of Busch & Everett, oil and gas business, 1906-08; now
vice president St. Louis Independent Packing Co.; director American
Bottle Co. Republican. Protestant. Member
Business Men's League, Civic League, T. P. A. Mason (Royal Arch); member
B. P. O. Elks. Clubs: Racquet, Glen Echo, Liederkranz, Automobile, Cantine
Hunting and Fishing Association, St. Louis Trap Shooters' Association.
Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office: Security Bldg. Residence: 3229
B., retired; born, Downpatrick, County Down, Ireland, Jan. 25,
1847; son of William and Mary (Crickard) Denvir; came to United States in
1853; educated at St. Louis University; married, St. Louis, Jan. 13, 1875,
Mary Agnes Gorman; children: William A., John B., Jr., James P., Francis
X., Mary, Lucina, Agnes, Helen. Left college, Jan. 25, 1802, and on next
day began as clerk in post office, St. Louis; gave up position in April,
1867, to become connected with the saddlery hardware business of Hayden,
Wilson & Allen; continuing with this company and its successor, the P.
Hayden Saddlery Hardware Co., of which was manager, until 1907, when
retired. Democrat. Catholic. Residence: 4434 W. Pine Boul.
DENVIR, John Bernard, Jr.,
lawyer; born, St. Louis, Aug. 23, 1877; son of John Bernard and Mary Agnes
(Gorman) Denvir; graduated from St. Louis University, A.B., 1896, A.M.,
1898; LL.B., St. Louis Law School, 1898; unmarried. Admitted to bar, 1898,
and since engaged in general practice in St. Louis. Member St. Louis Bar
Association, St. Louis Law Library Association, Civic League. Democrat.
Catholic. Clubs: City, Public Question. Office: 506 Olive St. Residence:
4434 W. Pine Boul.
DENYVEN, Joseph McKay, general
freight agent Mobile & Ohio R. R.; born, Boston, Mass., June 20, 1863;
son of James and Alexy (Sutherland) Denyven; educated in public schools;
married, St. Louis, Nov. 9, 1887, Ida Griffith; children: Raymond, Howard,
Lucile (deceased), Marian and Elizabeth. Began railway service with the
Missouri Pacific R. R., and continued in clerical positions from January,
1882, to December, 1886; then entered service of the Mobile & Ohio R.
R., in the general freight offices; promoted to assistant general freight
agent, December, 1890, and to present position as general freight agent,
April, 1905. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, St. Louis Traffic, Normandie Golf.
Office: 910 Fullerton Bldg. Residence: 5062 Maple Ave.
Peter, flour; born, Liverpool, England, June 2, 1868; son of
George and Sabine (Schroeder) Derlien; educated in Liverpool College,
Liverpool, England. Began business career in wholesale flour trade in
Liverpool, England, with Anton Kufeke & Co., and was later with
Krueger, Darsie & Co.; came to America and entered employ of New Ulm
Milling Co., at Minneapolis, Minn.; in 1900 went to Kansas City, Mo., and
assisted in establishing business of Kansas Milling & Export Co.,
removing to St. Louis in 1902 as general agent of the company. Member St.
Louis Millers' Club, Illinois Traveling Men's Protective Association.
Episcopalian. Office: 215 Chamber of Commerce. Residence: 4342 Page
Firmin, vice president and treasurer Desloge Consolidated Lead
Co.; born, Potosi, Mo., Aug. 30, 1843; son of Firmin and Cynthian
(Mcllvaine) Desloge; educated at St. Louis University, 1858-59, Bryant
& Stratton Commercial College, Wyman Commercial College; married,
Lexington, Mo., October, 1877, Lydia, daughter of Col. Joseph and Rebecca
Davis; children: Firmin, Joseph. Began business career in St. Louis as
clerk with John B. Valle & Co.; in 1867 engaged in mining in
Washington Co., Mo., and in 1873 organized the Desloge Lead Co.; operated
in St. Francois Co., Mo., until March, 1887, when the mill was destroyed
by fire and the company consolidated its holdings with the St. Joseph Lead
Co., of Bonne Terre, Mo.; present Desloge Consolidated Lead Co. (of which
is vice president and treasurer) was organized, 1890, taking over by
purchase the well-known Mine A Joe property, and the St. Francois Lead
Mining Co.; company engaged in mining, milling and smelting lead ores in
St. Francois Co., Mo. Catholic. Club: Mercantile. Office: Rialto Bldg.
Residence: Washington Hotel.
Firmin Rene, bank cashier; born, St. Louis, June 22, 1875; son of
Jules and Jennie (Thatcher) Desloge; educated in public schools to 1888;
entered St. Louis University, 1888, and continued until 1892; attended
private schools. New York; married, St. Louis, Oct. 6, 1902, Ellen Jane
Duross; three children: Zoe Jane, Elise, Rene Duross. Began business
career as clerk, St. Louis Post office. 1893, resigned, 1898; then clerk
Boatmen's Bank, 1899-1902; assistant cashier Olive Street Bank, 1902-08;
also assistant cashier Grand Avenue Bank, 1908-11; since cashier and
director Hodiamont Bank. Served as sergeant First Missouri Volunteers
during Spanish-American War, 1898. Democrat. Catholic. Member Knights of
Columbus. Recreations: handball and swimming. Office: 6143 Bartmer Ave.
Residence: 5859 Romaine PL.
DESLOGE, George Thatcher,
lawyer; born, St. Louis, Nov. 5, 1880; son of Jules and Jane Chambers
(Thatcher) Desloge; A.B., St. Louis University, 1901; A. M., Georgetown
University, 1902; LL.B., Washington University, 1904; married, Apr. 17,
1912. Madeleine Stith. Admitted to Missouri bar, 1904, and has since
practiced in St. Louis; lecturer on law in St. Louis University School of
Commerce and Finance. Member St. Louis Bar Association, Military Service
Institution of United States. Became member National Guard of Missouri as
second lieutenant, 1905; now captain and assistant inspector small arms
practice First Infantry Regiment. Democrat. Catholic. Member Knights of
Columbus. Recreations: tennis and horseback riding. Office: Suite 621,
Liggett Bldg. Residence: 4446 Laclede Ave.
Jules, retired banker; born, Potosi, Washington Co., Mo., Sept.
26, 1845; son of Firmin and Cynthian (Mcllvaine) Desloge; educated in Miss
Moulton's private .school, Potosi, 1852-56; St. Louis University, 1856-64,
graduating A.B.; married, St. Malachy's Church, St. Louis, Sept. 23, 1872.
Jennie C. Thatcher; children: Zoe, F. Rene, George, Marian (Mrs. J. Hayes
Campbell), Jane Pullis, Louis Francis, Marcel. Began business career as
assistant bookkeeper in foundry of Kingsland, Alter & Clark, St.
Louis, 1865; clerk in banking house of George H. Loker & Bro.,
1865-67; teller in Butchers' and Drovers' Bank, St. Louis, 1867-77; after
failure of the bank, 1877, was paying teller in St. Louis National Bank;
resigned to go to Boatmen's Bank, Apr. 1, 1878, as teller; elected second
assistant cashier, Apr. 23, 1891, and Nov. 27, 1894, was elected to
assistant cashier Boatmen's Bank, remaining until May 1. 1906, when
retired. Member Bank Clerks' Association of Missouri. Democrat. Roman
Catholic. Member Young Men's Sodality, Alumni Association of St. Louis
University, St. Vincent de Paul Society. Residence: 3847 W. Pine
Jerome B., retired shoe manufacturer; born on farm near Montreal,
Canada, Oct. 2, 1842; son of Jerome and Emelia (Bisson) Desnoyers; left
orphan at ten years of age; attended school in country, near Ottawa,
Canada; served in Union Army during Civil War, from Dec. 13, 1863, to July
10, 1865, in Battery E, First Ohio Volunteer Artillery; married, Sept. 4,
1865, Mary T. Woods; children: Victor E., Willis. Left farm at fifteen
years of age; began to learn shoe making as apprentice, November, 1857;
came to Cleveland, 0.. June, 1861, and worked at trade until entered army;
after honorable discharge, in 1865, took charge of a large shoe
manufacturing concern in Columbus, O.; located in St. Louis, November,
1877, and was an organizer of the first successful manufacturing
enterprise in St. Louis, then known as Bryan-Brown Shoe Co., afterwards as
the Brown-Desnoyers Shoe Co., and changed, Oct. 1, 1893, to Desnoyers Shoe
Co.; sold out, Jan. 1, 1903, and retired from active business. Member
Third Baptist Church. Extensive traveler. Mason, Knight Templar and
Shriner. Club: Mercantile. Residence: 5503 Vernon Ave. Summer Residence:
South Haven, Mich.
Edward, president Devoy & Kuhn Coal and Coke Co.; born, St.
Louis, Aug. 8, 1846; son of Denis and Mary (Mullins) Devoy; educated in
St. Patrick's School and Benton School; married, St. Louis, July 11, 1S67,
Maria Fallon; children: Stella (Mrs. W. T. Cartwright), Joseph Alexis,
George F., Charles L., Alice Dorothy (Mrs. M. B. Heinrichs). Engaged in
the coal business continuously since March, 1872. Member Merchants'
Exchange, Business Men's League. Democrat. Roman Catholic. Member Missouri
Historical Society, 8t. Vincent de Paul Society, Knights of Columbus,
Legion of Honor. Club: Liederkranz. Recreation: books. Office: 315 N. 7th
St. Residence: 5837 Cates Ave.
DICKINSON, William Calvin,
commission merchant; born, Cincinnati, 0., Sept. 20, 1849; son of Darius
L. and Lydia F. Dickinson; educated in Cincinnati public schools and at
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston; married, Alliance, O., Oct.
28, 1881, Evelyn B. Osterstock; children: Ruth B., Gladys, Dorothy.
Engaged in commission business since 1880; since August, 1895, member of
firm of F. W. Goeke & Co., wholesale dealers and commission merchants
in flour and feed. Republican. Swedenborgian. Office: 22 N. 2d St.
Residence: 5929 Cates Ave.
Joseph F., real estate; born, Paderborn, Westphalia, Prussia,
Germany, Dec. 22, 1855; son of Bernard and Dina (Haberhausen) Dickmann;
educated at Catholic School, Paderborn; married, St. Louis, Nov. 11, 1879,
Mary Eilers; children: Mary (Mrs. Otto J. Hezel), Joseph, Bernard, Anne
(Mrs. George Huth) Otto, Charles. Came to America, 1875; engaged in
grocery business, 1876-88, and in grain and seed business, St. Louis,
operating on Merchants' Exchange, 1888-1900; elected sheriff of City of
St. Louis and served, 1900 04; in real estate business since May 15, 1905.
Member St. Louis Merchants' Exchange, Real Estate Exchange. Member St.
Vincent De Paul Society, Knights of Columbus.
L., retired; born, St. Louis, Dec. 6, 1851; son of John R. and
Mary (Harmon) Dicks; educated at Christian Brothers School and public
schools, St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Oct. 17, 1878, Catherine, daughter
of Francis Lepere (she died Jan. 21,1910); children: Francis Joseph,
Catherine Lepere. Began business career as assistant cashier and
afterwards bookkeeper for Robert H. Franklin, dry goods, etc., 1868-74,
James Duncan & Co., dry goods, Baltimore, 1874-75; began with William
Barr Dry Goods Co., 1875, and became secretary and treasurer 1903; retired
January, 1907. Catholic. Residence: 5811 Plymouth Ave.
Joseph, Jr., lawyer; born, St. Louis, Apr. 12, 1876; son of
Joseph and Elizabeth (Robertson) Dickson; educated at Crow and St. Louis
High schools; Washington University; Harvard Law School, 1896-98; St.
Louis Law School, LL.B., 1899; married, St. Louis, Nov. 27, 1901, Sydney
Francis Boyd; one daughter, Mary Francis. Admitted to bar, Oct. 2, 1899,
and has since been engaged in practice; partner with father since Aug. 1,
1905, firm of Dickson & Dickson. Member American Bar Association, St.
Louis Bar Association. Director Tower Grove Bank, St. Louis Lumber Co.
Member Civic League. Republican. Clubs: Racquet, Bellerive, City, Noonday,
Harvard (St. Louis), Harvard (New York City). Recreations: golf and
motoring. Office: 712-716 Rialto Bldg. Residence: Brent-moor Park, St.
DIECKMAN, John Henry, bond and stock
broker; born, St. Louis, Dec. 20, 1848; son of Stephen H. and Gertrude
(Honerkamp) Dieckman; educated in German schools in St. Louis; married,
St. Louis, Apr. 9, 1872, Elizabeth Albietz; children: George Edwin, Julia
Adelaide (Mrs. Carl A. Niemeyer). Began business career as teller of a
bank (now out of existence), in which continued until April, 1881; then
became associated with H. H. Wernse, establishing firm of Wernse &
Dieckman, who have ever since been engaged as brokers in bonds and stocks.
Director Hope Mining Co. Member Merchants' Exchange, St. Louis Stock
Exchange. Treasurer Martha Parsons Free Hospital for Children. Member
Civic League. Republican; formerly member St. Louis School Board. Club:
Noonday. Office: 317 N. 4th St. Residence: 4537 W. Pine Boul.
Louis, retired; born, Hamburg, Germany, Aug. 30, 1851; son of
Frantz Adolph Th. and Frederika C. (Langenbach) Dieckmann; educated in
public schools in Hamburg; married, St. Louis, Nov. 9, 1881, Minna Hamel;
children: Charles A., Otto A., Max E., Hugo E. Learned carpenter's trade
when fifteen years old, and followed it for five years; emigrated to
United States, Oct. 9, 1871, and was engaged in carpenter's trade until
1878; then as employee in cabinet and refrigerator business until October,
1896, when started business with George H. Hollrah as Hollrah &
Dieckmann, incorporated, February, 1900, as the Hollrah-Dieckmann
Refrigerator and Fixture Co., of which was vice president and manager
until Oct. 15, 1911, when retired. Republican. Protestant. Member South
West Turner Society. Recreation: gardening. Residence: Wellston,
DIEDERICH, George Christ,
furniture manufacturer; born, St. Louis, Jan. 18, 1860; son of George
Henry and Charlotte Diederich; educated in public schools of St. Louis;
married, St. Louis, Oct. 16, 1888, Emily Kolusch; children: Emily Johanna,
George Henry, Olga Charlotte. As a boy began to learn the cabinet-making
business in father's furniture factory, and has been connected with the
business ever since; after its incorporation, Mar. 17, 1883, was made
president of the G. H. Diederich Furniture Co., manufacturers and
wholesale dealers in all kinds of furniture, with specialties in
bedsteads, extension tables and kitchen cabinets. Also director and vice
president St. Louis Malleable Iron Works. Republican. Member Evangelical
Church.Director German Protestant Orphans' Home. Member I. O. O. F.
Office: 1943 N. 2d St. Residence: 2933 University St.
Frederick, furniture manufacturer; born, St. Louis, June 3, 1865;
son of George Henry and Charlotte Diederich; educated in public schools of
St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Oct. 29, 1890, Lillian E. Holland. At age
of fourteen entered father's furniture factory to learn the trade and has
ever since been connected with that business, which was incorporated, Mar.
17, 1885, as the G. H. Diederich Furniture Co.; has charge of the
mechanical departments of the business, and since 1897 has been secretary
of the company. Republican. Member Evangelical Church. Member Liederkranz.
Office: 1945 N. 2d St. Residence: 3214A Dodier St.
Walter, lawyer; born, St. Louis, Feb. 8, 1882; son of Ferdinand
and Bertha (Steigerwald) Diehm; educated in St. Louis public schools and
Central High School; LL.B., St. Louis Law School, 1902; married, St.
Louis, Feb. 15, 1908, Alice H. Fisher; one child: Helen Virginia. Began
practice of law, 1902; since 1910 member firm of Schulenburg & Diehm.
Was member Light Battery A, National Guard of Missouri, 1905-08. Member
St. Louis Bar Association. Director Missouri Crematory Association;
secretary St. Louis Altenheim. Republican. Ethical Society. Mason (32°),
Mystic Shrine. Clubs: City, Masonic. Recreation: motoring. Office: 912-914
Rialto Bldg. Residence: 5728 Bartmer Ave.
Louis O., deputy commissioner of supplies; born, St. Louis, Sept.
1, 1857; son of Frederick W. and Elise (Wacker) Diekmann, both natives of
Germany; educated in public schools and one year in high school; married,
St. Louis, 1881, Sophie M. Bredemeyer; six children: Arthur (with St.
Louis Car Co.), Minnie, Elsie, Octavia, Verna, Esther. Began active career
at thirteen as office boy with Garrett, McDowell & Co., manufacturers
and dealers in pig iron, continuing until 1883; then entered coal business
in own name and in 1887 organized the Diekmann Coal Co., wholesale and
retail dealers, of which was president until 1909. In 1910 became
connected with department of commissioner of supplies, St. Louis, as
auditor of accounts, later chief clerk, and since June 1, 1912, deputy
commissioner. Republican; elected to House of Delegates, 1890, for
unexpired term, and reelected, 1891 and 1S93; served as speaker of the
house during last term and at times during 1905-07 as mayor, in the
absence of the city's chief executive. Mason; member Royal Arcanum,
Knights of Pythias (representative to Grand Lodge for about sixteen
years). Recreation: reading. Office: City Hall. Residence: 1119 K. Market
DIGGS, William Purnell proprietary
medicines; born, St. Louis, June 3, 1851; son of Francis W. (of
Virginia) and Amelia R. (Hill) Diggs (of Maryland); educated in
public schools, St. Louis, until 1857; academy, High Hill, Mo., 1858;
Towsley's School, New Albany, Ind., 1867; married, Forestell, Mo. Feb. 9,
1876, Eugenia N. May (now deceased); one child (deceased); married, 2d,
Jan. 26, 1910, Mary J. Ehrhardt; one child: William P., Jr. Began business
career in retail drug store at High Hill, Mo., Jan. 1, 1872; removed to
Wentzville, Mo., April, 1874, and was in retail drug business there until
Sept. 30, 1883, when established on small scale the business which he now
conducts as W. P. Diggs & Co., manufacturers proprietary remedies.
Democrat. Recreation: bowling. Office: 113-115 Locust St. Residence:
943 Laurel Ave.
William, hardwood lumber; born, St. Louis, Jan. 26, 1841; son of
Frederick and Ida (Stein) Dings; educated under private instruction by
Prof. Avery and Prof. Eno Saunders, and in Laclede School, St. Louis, also
in Germany; married, in Owen Co., Ky., Dec. 31, 1868, Tinie Bristow;
children: William Woods, Eleanor B. (Mrs. John S. Dobyns). During Civil
War was captain of Company C, 8th Missouri Infantry, C. S. A., until
surrender at Alexandria, La., under General Buckner. After war, was
engaged as farmer in St. Louis Co., 1867-73; in lime and cement business
with H. D. Hatch, 1873-74; bookkeeper for William Ziock & Co.,
1875-83, for Pratt, Todd & Co., 1884, Clarkson-Christopher Lumber Co.,
1888, vice president and secretary, same company, 1892-96; from 1896 to
1907 was vice president and secretary R. M. Fry Lumber Co.; since in
lumber business for self. Member St. Louis Lumber Exchange. Democrat.
Presbyterian. Mason. Member Royal Arcanum, Legion of Honor. Club:
Lumbermen's. Favorite recreation: literature. Office: Branch and Hall Sts.
Residence: 925 Beach Ave.
DISBROW, Charles Wesley,
president American Automobile Insurance Co.; born, New York City, Jan. 4,
1874; son of William and Harriet (Lusby) Disbrow; LL.B., New York Law
School, 1896; married, Hoboken, N. J., Apr. 15, 1897, Anna M. Oesterreich;
children: Ruth O., Marie K., Charles W., Jr., Franz O., John R. B.
Practiced law in New York City and Denver, Colo.; was manager mountain
department United States Fidelity and Guaranty Co. at Denver; later
manager western department same, at St. Louis; president American
Automobile Insurance Co. since Jan. 1, 1912. Republican. Presbyterian.
Clubs: St. Louis, Racquet, City. Author: Digest New York Code of Civil
Procedure, 1896; Analysis Banking and Currency System of the United States
(brochure), 1909. Recreation: literature. Office: Pierce Bldg. Residence:
5146 Cabanne Ave.
William, vehicle manufacturer, retired; born, Germany, Oct. 9,
1861; son of Henry and Katherine Dischert; educated in St. Louis public
schools; married. Began in 1876, in carriage and wagon shop of H.
Witticke, with whom remained seven years, learning trade and working as
journeyman; started for self as manufacturer of business vehicles, 1883,
incorporating, Jan. 16, 1902, as William Dischert Carriage and Wagon Co.,
of which was president until retired, 1911. Mason (32°), Knight Templar,
Shriner. Residence: 2209A E. Athlone Ave.
DITTMANN, William Henry, shoe
manufacturer; born, St. Louis, Oct. 21, 1852; son of George F. and
Caroline (Almstedt) Dittmann; educated in St. Louis public schools;
married, St. Louis, Nov. 10, 1877, Emma Biebinger; children: Adele (Mrs.
Philip A. Becker), Robert W. Engaged in manufacture of shoes since 1868;
now president of the Dittmann Shoe Co.; was for several years vice
president of the Fourth National Bank, resigning in 1902; also one of
organizers of Germania Trust Co., and was its vice president and president
for periods during its life; one of organizers of St. Louis Catering Co.,
and other corporations. Member board of directors, Tower Grove Park.
Republican. Clubs: Mercantile, Liederkranz. Office: 1107 Washington Ave.
Residence: 3463 Longfellow Boul.
DIXON, Brandt V.B. BRANDT V.B. DIXON, president of the H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial college of New Orleans, was born in Patterson, New Jersey, February 27, 1850. His father's family removed to St. Louis in 1858. He was educated in the St. Louis public and private schools, Amherst college, and Cornell university, from which last-named institution he graduated in 1870. From that time until the present he has been engaged in educational work and has held various positions in the St. Louis public schools, being engaged almost continuously in that work from 1870 to 1887, the last three years holding the position of principal in the Central high school. In 1887 he was called to New Orleans by the board of administrators of the Tulane Educational fund to organize the Newcomb college as its first president. He is an advocate of advanced methods of education, and the remarkable progress of the Newcomb college under his administration is evidence of their practical utility. Professor Dixon also occupies the chair of metaphysics in Tulane university. He was married on the 24th of June, 1873, to Miss Eliza Carson, of Caledonia, Mo., and has two sons, both students in Tulane university. [Source: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Louisiana; Chicago; The Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1892; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
DOBSON, William Davis, osteopathist; born, Greenville, Tenn., Nov. 28, 1848; son of David and Nancy (McAmis) Dobson; educated Tusculum College, Tennessee, graduating with degree of A.B., 1870, A.M., 1880 (LL.D., 1895); taught school near Trenton, Mo., until 1891; president first district State Normal School, Kirksville, 1891-99; graduated at American School of Osteopathy, Kirksville, 1902; married, Greenville, Tenn., July 5, 1878, Mantie J. Briton; three children: Walter N., Pauline (Mrs. George L. Gold), Robert Britton. Professor chemistry, American School of Osteopathy, 1902-04; dean same school, 1904-07; in charge A. T. Still Osteopathic Sanitarium, St. Louis, 1907-08; since in private practice. Democrat. Presbyterian. Member National, State and City Osteopathic societies. Mason, Shriller. Recreation: outdoor sports. Office: 455, 313 N. 9th St. Residence: 4519 Westminster Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
James Bell, president Champion Shoe Machinery Co.; born,
Hollidaysburg, Pa., Dec. 29, 1846; son of Stevenson W. and Margaretta
Grafius (Miller) Dobyne; educated in common schools and academy at
Hollidaysburg; married, Litchfield, ILL., Oct. 9, 1869. Calista J. Evans;
2d, Mar. 12, 1894, Nellie H. Moakley; children: Etta Bell, George A., Ruth
O., Jessie J. (Mrs. Louis F. Mahler). Was foreman of Missouri Pacific R.
R. shop at age of 22, later foreman of old St. Louis & Cairo Short
Line R. R., East St. Louis; master mechanic, Southwestern Car Works,
Jeffersonville, Ind.; superintendent Beach-Amsden Machine and Foundry Co.,
Litchfield, ILL.; in milling and grain business, Hillsboro, ILL.; in
manufacturing business, as vice president Fleming & Dobyne
Manufacturing Co., Chicago; secretary and manager Landis Machine Co., St.
Louis; now president of Champion Shoe Machinery Co., manufacturers of shoe
and harness machinery. Member Citizens' Industrial Association. Served in
Civil War in 1st battalion, Pennsylvania Volunteers. Republican. Member
Grand Army of the Republic (commander Ransom Post); member Union Veteran
Club, Chicago, Pennsylvania Society of St. Louis. Member Masonic Order.
Club: City. Recreations: traveling in Europe and America; fond of arts.
Office: 3727 Forest Park Boul. Residence: 6006 W. Cabanne Ave.
T., city surveyor; born, Columbus, O., Aug. 5, 1866; son of
Robert H. and Anna (Redpath) Dodds; educated public schools; academy,
Ypsilanti, Mich.; National Normal University, Lebanon, O.; married, St.
Louis, Oct. 16, 1901, Blanche B. Wegner; three children: James T., Jr.,
Douglas W., Albert R. In office of county surveyor, Columbus, O., 1888-89;
came to St. Louis, 1889, and entered employ of city surveyor, J. G. Joyce,
Sr.; vice president Joyce Surveying Co., 1892-98; in general surveying and
civil engineering practice on own account since 1898; city surveyor since
1901; agent for North St. Louis Quarries. Has laid out many of the
suburban districts of St. Louis and is responsible for much of the
important engineering work in connection with the city during past twelve
or fifteen years. Protestant. Member North St. Louis Business Men's
Association. Clubs: Engineers, City. Recreation:
reading. Office: 717 Chestnut St. Residence: 3843 Sullivan
Ernest Cole, lawyer; born, Belleville, ILL., Feb. 11, 1862; son
of Egbert and Sarah (Sherwood) Dodge; educated in St. Louis public and
high schools; Salem (Mo.) Academy; State University, Columbia, Mo.,
1880-82; taught schools in Scott Co., Mo., 1882-83; graduated from St.
Louis Law School (Washington University), LL.B., 1885; married, St. Louis,
Apr. 17, 1895, Bertha G. Layton; children: Odile Phyllis L., Mary Lois.
Admitted to bar, June 12, 1885; since May, 1887, in general practice of
law in St. Louis; member firm of Dodge & Mulvihill, 1887-1905, since
practiced alone. Assistant city attorney under Mayor Walbridge, 1894-99.
Commissioned as notary public by Governors Francis, Stone, Stephens,
Dockery and Folk. Member St. Louis Bar Association, Missouri State Bar
Association. Illinois Society, Sons of the Revolution (Missouri).
Republican. Catholic. Member State Militia three years. Recreation:
fishing. Office: 319 Commercial Bldg. Residence: 4149 W. Pine
DODSON, George Rowland, clergyman;
born, Jacksonville, Mo., Aug. 20, 1865; son of Shelley Martin and Susan
Eleanor (Proctor) Dodson; A.B., University of Missouri, 1887; student
Stanford University, 1894, University of California, 1901; A.M., Harvard
University, 1902, Ph.D., 1903; married, Fulton, Mo., June 24, 1891, Nellie
Wheeler; children: Rowland W., Eleanor, Proctor W. Ordained ministry, at
Mexico, Mo., 1886; pastor First Unitarian Society, Alameda, Cal.,
1891-1901, Church of the Unity, St. Louis, since Oct. 1, 1903. Member
Western Philosophical Association, Washington University Association,
Contemporary Club. Address: Church of the Unity. Residence: 48 Nicholson
John William, retired; born, Kirksville, Adair Co., Mo., Oct. 10,
1851; son of Thomas and Lucinda (Grogan) Dodson; educated in district
schools of Adair County and Normal School at Kirksville; unmarried.
Engaged in farming with father until 1873; traveling salesman for Yarnall
Bros., manufacturers of pickles and grocers' sundries, 1873-82; organized
firm of Dodson & Hils, in same line, 1882, which later incorporated as
Dodson-Hils Manufacturing Co., changing in February. 1897, to Dodson-Braun
Manufacturing Co.; retired, 1910. Republican. Club: Mercantile. Address:
DONAHOE, Martin Hassett, cotton
duck; born, St. Louis, July 2, 1881; son of Martin P. and Mary J. (Shaw)
Donahoe; graduated from St. Louis University, class of 1901; married, St.
Louis, June 8, 1910, Helen Wertheimer; one son: Martin H., Jr. Began
business career in December, 1901, as salesman at the St. Louis branch of
J. Spencer Turner Co., managers of sales for the Consolidated Cotton Duck
Co., Baltimore, and has since continued with the company, becoming
resident manager in St. Louis, Sept. 1, 1905. Recreation: golf. Office:
501 Silk Exchange Bldg. Residence: 4401 Forest Park Boul.
DONAHOE, Martin Patrick, dry
goods merchant; born, Sibley, Jackson Co., Mo., Nov. 18, 1846; son of
Thomas and Mary (Nolan) Donahoe; educated at Sibley day school until 12
years old, afterward at St. Louis night school, as opportunity offered;
married, St. Louis, Oct. 16, 1878, Mary J. Shaw; children: Martin H.,
Edgar T., Clarence O., Arthur J., John, Mary Frances, Alice Shaw. Was
employed by Majors, Russell & Waddell, government freighters across
the plains, 1860-62; came to St. Louis, 1863; employed by Samuel C. Davis
& Co., wholesale dry goods, from Sept. 3, 1863, to Jan. 1, 1896; made
director, 1900, became fourth vice president, 1903, Hargadine McKittrick
Dry Goods Co. President Western Commercial Travelers' Association, 1905.
Democrat. Roman Catholic. Club: Mercantile. Recreation: traveling. Office:
911 Washington Ave. Residence: 5070 Westminster PI.
DONALDSON, Walter Scot, printing
and engraving; born, St. Louis, Feb. 4, 1871: son of John and Katherine
(Watson) Donaldson; educated in public schools of St. Louis; married, St.
Louis, 1897, Adelaide Daniels. Learned printing trade and has been
continuously connected with the Great Western Printing Co. since 1884;
became manager, and, in 1900, president. The company is now the St. Louis
branch of the National Printing & Engraving Co. of New York, of which
he is vice president. The business was originally the job office of the
Globe-Democrat, changing to Great Western Printing Co. in 1884. Member
Advertising Men's League, Typothetae. Republican. Presbyterian. Member
Royal Arcanum. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Creve Coeur Canoe Club. Favorite
recreations: aquatic sports. Office: 513 Elm St. Residence: 2717 S. King's
DONALDSON, William Rhind,
lawyer; born, Murfreesboro, Tenn., Jan. 8, 1844; son of Andrew and Ellen
(Rhind) Donaldson; educated in St. Louis public schools; Central High
School; A.B., Washington University, 1863; studied law with Sharp &
Broadhead and admitted to St. Louis bar, 1865; LL.B., Harvard Law School,
1866; married, Pittsfield, Mass., Oct. 20, 1869, Elizabeth Lamed, daughter
of Thomas Allen; children: Annie Maud (Mrs. Marshall Hodgman), William
Rhind, Jr., Elizabeth Allen (Mrs. George A. Randolph). In general practice
of law in St. Louis since 1866; 1901, senior member of firm of Donaldson
& Donaldson. Vice president Southern Hotel Co.; director Allen Estate
Association. Democrat. Episcopalian. Member Missouri Historical Society,
St. Louis, American and Missouri State Bar associations, Tennessee Society
of St. Louis. Clubs: St. Louis, St. Louis Country. Office: 818 Bank of
Commerce Bldg. Residence: St. Louis Co.
DONALDSON, William Rhind,
Jr., lawyer; born, St. Louis, Aug. 16, 1875; son of William Rhind
and Elizabeth Lamed (Allen) Donaldson; educated in Rugby Academy, St.
Louis, 1890-94; Harvard University, 1894-98, A.B.; traveled in Europe,
1898-99; attended St. Louis Law School,
Edmond Charles, president Donk Bros. Coal and Coke Co.; born,
Crefeld, Germany, Feb. 19, 1851; son of Henry and Josephine Lucretia
(Hinzen) Donk; came to United States in childhood; educated in private
schools of Peoria, HI., and St. Louis; married, St. Louis, 1882, Josephine
Conrades; children: Edna M., Edmond 0., Jr., Marie E. Spent earlier years
in Peoria, ILL., and came to St. Louis, 1863, to join brother, the late
August Donk, who had established the coal firm of A. P. Donk & Co., in
1861. Entered employ of that firm in 1868, and later was admitted to
partnership, the firm becoming Donk Bros. Firm later became incorporated
as Donk Bros. Coal Co., of which has been president since death of brother
in 1894. Republican. Unitarian. Member Merchants' Exchange Benevolent
Association, Royal Arcanum, Legion of Honor. Clubs: Union, Missouri
Athletic, Liederkranz. Recreation: fishing. Office: 314 N. 4th St.
Residence: 3643 Castleman Ave.
Forrest C, lawyer; born, Quitman, Mo., Aug. 20, 1884; son of John
C. and Barbara Lee (Waggoner) Donnell; educated Maryville (Mo.) High
School; A.B., University of Missouri, 1904, LL.B., 1907; unmarried.
Admitted to Missouri bar, 1907, and since practiced in St. Louis.
Appointed general attorney for enforcement of collateral inheritance tax
law of Missouri by Board of Curators of University of Missouri, 1909;
member firm of Spencer & Donnell since 1911. Director Southern
Electric Co. Republican. Member American Bar Association, St. Louis Bar
Association. Mason. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, University. Recreations:
tennis, reading. Office: Suite 510, Commonwealth Trust Bldg. Residence:
John Walter, manager White Babbit Dye Co.; born, Carrollton, O.,
Feb. 22, 1847; son of James H. and Annie (Lea) Donnell; educated public
schools of Ohio; married, St. Louis, Apr. 23, 1872, Maria Tilden; 2d,
Godfrey, ILL., 1886, Fanny M. Bartlett; children: John Tilden, Maria L.
(Mrs. Will S. Thompson, Hutchinson, Kan.), Walter Bartlett, Harold
Channing, Everett Malcolm. Was clerk in drug store; went to Colorado,
1862; lived in Rocky Mountains four years, mining and merchandising;
returned to St. Joseph, Mo., 1867; removed to St. Louis, 1868, and was
clerk with Vandwater, Loker & Co., wholesale druggists, one year, then
with William D'Oench & Co., wholesale druggists, until 1870; business
manager, A. A. Mellier Drug Co., 1870-72. Started in business for self
1872, firm of Donnell, Tilden & Co., wholesale druggists; consolidated
with firm of Wengler, Blow & Co., 1875, and organized as St. Louis
Drug Co.; burned out in 1876, and in March, 1877, organized firm of
Donnell Manufacturing Co., manufacturing grocers' and druggists'
specialties, of which was president until 1910, since manager White Rabbit
Dye Co. Member Missouri Historical Society, Ohio Society. Mason (32°);
member Legion of Honor. Republican. Unitarian. Office: 1700 Morgan St.
Residence: 4043 Westminster PL
Thomas G., dentist; born, Decatur, ILL., Apr. 17, 1873; son of
John Michael and Mary Alzino (Gresbam) Donnell; removed with parents to
the Northwest in boyhood and was graduated at Umpqua Academy, Roseburg,
Ore.; subsequently attended Garden City Business College; student for one
year at Cooper Medical College, San Francisco; entered Dental Department,
Washington University, graduating with degree of D.M.D., 1901; married
Mabel Talbot, of England, Apr. 17, 1911. In practice in St. Louis since
1901; professor of metallurgy and dental anatomy, Barnes Dental Department
of National University. Member Missouri State Dental Society, St. Louis
Society of Dental Science. Formerly member Oregon National Guard, and
Served in volunteers, Camp Presidio, San Francisco, Spanish-American War.
Mason (32°). Recreation: hunting large game in the Rockies. Office and
Residence: 2247A S. Grand Ave.
DONNEWALD, George Henry,
wholesale coal and ice; born, St. Louis, June 21, 1857; son of Henry and
Elizabeth (Miller) Donnewald; educated in public schools; unmarried. Began
business career as sales agent for the Excelsior Coal Mining Co., 1872,
and became officer and director of the company, with headquarters at St.
Louis; senior member Donnewald & Herring, owning and operating coal
mines at Lebanon, ILL., 1875-85; bought interests of partner, 1885, and
continued business as G. H. Donnewald & Co.: in 1897 organized
Donnewald Stephens Coal Co., and in 1900 incorporated under present style
of Donnewald Ice and Coal Co., of which is president; also president
Consumers' Ice and Fuel Co. Roman Catholic. Favorite recreation: driving.
Office: 602 Times Bldg. Residence: 5 Jameton Place.
Daniel C, president and manager St. Louis Daily News; born, St.
Louis, Dec. 4, 1862; son of Denis and Ellen (Milner) Donovan; educated at
St. Louis University; married, St. Louis, Nov. 24, 1887, Annie V. Crowley;
children: Nellie Francis, Mario Genevieve, Daniel C, Jr., Virginia Mary
(deceased) and Rosemary. Began business life with the M. M. Buck
Manufacturing Co. (now the Handlan Buck Manufacturing Co.) in a minor
position, and was advanced until had full charge of the shipping and
delivery departments, remaining with the company for sixteen years until
embarked in the newspaper business, in which has since continued.
President and manager of the St. Louis News Publishing and Printing Co.
(established October, 1895), printing and publishing St. Louis Daily News,
and also the St. Louis News (weekly). Purchased the Daily Hotel Reporter,
Dec. 20, 1905, and consolidated same with the St. Louis Daily News, paper
being then known as the St. Louis Daily News and Daily Hotel Reporter;
sold Hotel Reporter to Daily Record, Jan. 1, 1908. Member North St. Louis
Business Men's Association, South Broadway Merchants' Association,
Southwestern Mercantile Association, West End Business Men's Association.
Democrat; nominee for City Council, 1893, and three times candidate for
police commissioner. Roman Catholic. Office: 201 Temple Bldg., Broadway
and Walnut St. Residence: 5087 Minerva Ave.
Patrick, clergyman; born, Parish of Murroe, County Limerick,
Ireland; educated at Sacred Heart College, Limerick; College of Native
Diocese at Thurles; came to America, 1889, and pursued theological studies
at St. Mary's Seminary, Baltimore, Md. Ordained priest Roman Catholic
Church, Dec. 17, 1892; assistant to Bev. Thomas J. Cooley, Assumption
Church, St. Louis, 1892-96, then rector same; appointed by Archbishop
Glennon as rector St. John's Church; now serving as rector St. Bridget's
Church. Residence: 1108 N. Jefferson Ave.
DOOLITTLE, Charles Almond,
treasurer Blackmer & Post Pipe Co.; born on farm in Ontario Co., N.
Y., May 22, 1868; son of Asa and Jano L. (Foster) Doolittle; educated in
State Normal School, Geneseo, N. Y.; married, St. Louis, Oct. 18, 1900,
Clara Seifarth. Engaged in farming in New York and Massachusetts; came to
St. Louis 1890, and was employed by Blackmer & Post, first as a
stenographer and later as a bookkeeper; was elected treasurer of the
Blackmer & Post Pipe Co., 1898. Republican. Scottish Rite Mason;
member Ascalon Commandery, Knights Templar, Moolah Temple, Mystic Shrine.
Office: 613 Wainwright Bldg. Residence: 5676 Cates Ave.
DORR, Lorenzo Engelbert,
president Dorr & Zeller Catering Co.; born, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany,
May 15, 1857; son of Victor and Elizabeth (Scherrer) Dorr; educated in
public schools of native land; married, St. Louis, Mar. 17, 1886, Rose
Stein; three children: Victor, Oliver, Roy Henry. Learned catering
business and followed same in old country until twenty-five; came to
America, 1882, and was connected with catering house in St. Louis, two
years; started in business for self, 1886; organized firm of Dorr &
Zeller, 1887, of which has since been the head. Director Vandeventer Trust
Co. Member Business Men's League. Catholic. Member Royal Arcanum.
Recreation: traveling. Office: 3924 Washington Ave. Residence: 3922
DORSETT, Walter Blackburn,
physician and surgeon; born, St. Louis Co., Mo., June 13, 1852; son of
Henry Leonidas Dorsett (born in Loudoun Co., Va.) and George Ann(
Blackburn) Dorsett (of Versailles, Ky.); course of study in civil
engineering, Washington University; later took up study of medicine at St.
Louis Medical College, graduating with degree of M.D., Mar. 4, 1878;
married, Olney, ILL., Oct. 20, 1880, Eleanor C. French; one son: E. Lee,
now engaged in practice of medicine. In practice at St. Louis since 1878;
superintendent and surgeon in charge of Female Hospital, St. Louis,
1887-92; gynecologist Evangelical Deaconess Hospital, and Missouri Baptist
Sanitarium since 1893; consultant St. Louis Maternity Hospital; professor
gynecology and pelvic surgery, Medical Department St. Louis University.
President St. Louis Medical Society, 1893; president Missouri State
Medical Association, 1900; president American Association of Obstetricians
and Gynecologists, 1903; member Southern Surgical and Gynecol.
Association, Western Surgical Association, Southwestern Medical
Association, St. Louis Academy of Science, American Clinical Congress.
Democrat. Mason. Clubs: University, Glen Echo. Author of numerous
monographs on medical subjects. Recreations: horseback riding, fishing.
Office: 26 Linmar Bldg. Residence: 5070 Washington Ave.
DOSTAL, Antoine Robert, merchant
tailor; born, Hermanmestetz, Austria, July 1, 1852; son of A. R. and Anna
(Blecha) Dostal; educated in public schools in Austria and in Paris,
France; married, Waterbury, Conn., Feb. 18, 1883, Augustine Brassart;
children: Charles A., A. R., Jr., George B., Harry R., Louise Anna. Lived
in Vienna and Paris for sixteen years; learned the tailoring trade in
Vienna, Paris, London; came to United States first in 1882; returned to
France for a short period, then located in New York for three years as a
designer with one of the leading tailoring establishments of the city;
afterward came to St. Louis, 1889, and in 1890 established for self as a
merchant tailor in this city. Episcopalian. Mason (32°), Shriner. Clubs:
Missouri Athletic, Liederkranz. Favorite recreations: traveling, fishing
and hunting. Office:' 209, 207 N. 8th St. Residence: 2828 Euclid
St. Louis County
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.