Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" D "

DOUGHERTY, Chester A., real estate; born, St. Louis, Sept. 18, 1883; son of Patrick J. and Ellen (Crowley) Dougherty; educated Ames (public) School, St. Louis, 1889-97; married, St. Louis, June 6, 1906, Winifred V. Walsh; one child: Ruth Mary. Began at age of fourteen and was engaged in various pursuits until entered real estate business at 929 Chestnut St., in March, 1903; now president Dougherty Bros. Real Estate Co. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange. Roman Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus. Clubs: Columbus, Automobile. Recreations: travel, motoring. Office: 818 Chestnut St. Residence: 5322 Wells Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

DOUGHERTY, Frank Joseph, real estate; born, San Francisco, Cal., Nov. 11, 1880; son of P. J. and Ellen (Crowley) Dougherty; educated in St. Louis public school, to eighth grade, and two years at public night school; married, St. Louis, June 17, 1902, Mayme Clara Drumm; children: Francis Russell, Melvin Joseph, Frank J., Jr., and Rosemary. After leaving school worked at various positions, in printing office, drug store, shoe factory, type foundry, incandescent lamp factory, Gould's Directory, etc.; in 1897 began in real estate business with the Nicholls-Ritter Realty and Financial Co. as office boy at $3 per week, advancing to cashier and bookkeeper. On Mar. 1, 1903, started out for self with desk room, and on Jan. 12, 1905, incorporated the Frank J. Dougherty Real Estate Co., now Dougherty Bros. Real Estate Co., general real estate and insurance, of which is president. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange. Roman Catholic. Independent in politics. Member Knights of Columbus. Recreation: outdoor sports. Office: 818 Chestnut St. Residence: 1386 Clara Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DOUGLAS, Alexander, railway official; born, Perthshire, Scotland, Mar. 31, 1848; son of James and Jane (Johnston) Douglas; educated in Blairgowrie (Scotland) public schools and Blairgowrie Academy, graduating 1865;. married, Chicago, Aug. 14,1881, Nancy, daughter of R. P. Kelly, M.D. Began railway service, May, 1866, as clerk in general office of Fast Freight Line, at Detroit, Mich.; general clerk, 1866-70, chief claim clerk, 1870-71, Blue Line Fast Freight; chief freight clerk, St. Louis Station, Atlantic & Pacific and Missouri Pacific railways, 1872-73; agent on line and in charge of train service, Carondelet branch, 1874-75; chief clerk, traveling auditor and general bookkeeper, auditor's office, St. Louis & San Francisco Railway Co., and its receiver, 1876-78; auditor St. Louis & San Francisco Railway Co., 1879, to June 30, 1896, also auditor St. Louis, Kansas City & Colorado R. R., June, 1890, to September, 1894, and auditor Central Division, Atlantic & Pacific R. R., 1879, to June 30, 1896; acted as secretary of all auxiliary companies of Frisco System, and also filled special duties assigned by vice president and general manager in absence of latter, 1879-85. General auditor St. Louis & San Francisco R. R. Co., July 1, 1896, to June 7, 1900, vice president and general auditor, 1900-03, fourth vice president and general auditor same company, Oct. 22, 1903, to June 30, 1908, vice president and general auditor since June 30, 1908; now director in twenty-eight auxiliary companies, Frisco System. Was director Colonial Trust Co. until its absorption by Commonwealth Trust Co., and director Continental Bank until its absorption by National Bank of Commerce. Originally Democrat, now independent. Presbyterian. Clubs: St. Louis and Noonday. Office: Frisco Bldg. Residence: 3837 Washington Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DOUGLAS, Archer Wall, wholesale hardware merchant; born, Key West, Fla., Jan. 26, 1858; son of Samuel J. and Elizabeth (Brown) Douglas; educated in public schools of Tallahassee, Fla.; married, St. Louis, Sept. 14, 1887, Hilda Clements; children: Winifred, Archer Donald, Beatrice Orme. Came to St. Louis, 1874, as clerk for Bellville Nail Mill Co.; in 1S76 entered employment of G. & W. Todd & Co., in 1877 of Robert B. Brown & Co. In 1878 entered employ of Simmons Hardware Co., in buying department; elected secretary of the company, 1898, and vice president in 1904, in which position continues; also vice president of the Simmons Saddlery Co. Member Business Men's League. Independent in politics. Episcopalian. Member National Geographic Society, Sons of Revolution, Archaeological Society of America, Washington University Association, Chairman of Executive Committee St. Louis Symphony Society. Clubs: Noonday, Normandie Golf, Contemporary, City, Public Question. Office: 9th and Spruce Sts. Residence: 5079 Waterman Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DOUGLAS, Scott Clive, physician; born, Fulton, Mo., May 2, 1879; son of John H. and Susan (Machette) Douglas; educated public schools; A.B., Westminster College, Fulton, 1899; M.D., Medical Department, Washington University, 1903; unmarried. In practice in St. Louis since 1903; specializes in skin diseases. Democrat. Presbyterian. Member Missouri State Medical Association, St. Louis Medical Society, Phi Delta Theta, Nu Sigma Nu. Recreation: country walks. Office: Lister Bldg. Residence: 4922 Fountain Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DOUGLAS, Walter Bond, lawyer; born, Brunswick, Mo., Dec. 20, 1851; son of James Marsh and Caroline (Bond) Douglas; graduated from Westminster College, A.B., 1873; Harvard University Law School, LL.B., 1877; married, St. Louis, Apr. 29, 1891, Fannie B. Kimball; children: Antoinette, Marjory, James Marsh, Francis, William Cerre. Admitted to practice of law in Missouri, May, 1878; judge of the Circuit Court of the City of St. Louis, 1901-1906, inclusive. Secretary of the Judicial Conference, 1903-1906. President for years 1893 and 1894, and since 1900 member of the Board of Directors of the Missouri Historical Society; member American Bar Association, American Historical Association. Democrat. Fond of country life. Office: Laclede Bldg. Residences: 4305 Delmar Ave., and Florissant, Missouri.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DOUGLASS, John H., lawyer; born, St. Louis, May 6, 1873; son of John H. and Caroline A. (Durfee) Douglass; educated in private schools, Stoddard (public) School, Central High School; A.B., Yale University, 1896; LL.B., St. Louis Law School, 1898; married, St. Louis, Apr. 26, 1905, Bessee Barrett Finney; one daughter: Elizabeth Finney. Admitted to bar July 1, 1898, and became identified, in a legal capacity, with The Knapp, Stout & Co.; in January, 1899, became connected with the law offices of Rowell & Ferriss, which firm changed to Ferriss, Zumbalen & Ferriss; engaged in general practice. Member St. Louis and Missouri State Bar associations. Republican. Congregationalist. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, New St. Louis Country, Racquet, Bellerive Country. Republican. Favorite recreations: horseback riding, golf and boating. Office: 820 Rialto Bldg. Residence: 16 Vandeventer PL.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DOWDALL, William Thomas, insurance adjuster; born, St. Louis, Dec. 21, 1873; son of John T. and Lenora (Wooldridge) Dowdall; educated in Penrose, Devoll and Stoddard public schools until twelve years of age; in father's office until fourteen, then attended high school two years; widower; one daughter: Catherine Lenora Loretta (died Dec. 11,1910). Served with Missouri State Fish Commission seven years, first as attendant, then as foreman and later as superintendent. Appointed on St. Louis Metropolitan Police Force, Mar. 6, 1895; promoted to special officer, November, 1896, sergeant, Aug. 21, 1899; resigned October 1, 1904, to enter the business of general adjustment of fire losses for the assured, organizing, December, 1904, and was elected vice president, Mangson, Harding & Dowdall Adjustment Co., which later became Mangson, Weiss, Harding & Dowdall Adjustment Co., of which is vice president and city manager. The company has offices also in Kansas City, Louisville and Cincinnati. Member of Civic League. Democrat. Methodist. Mason (Rose Hill Lodge, Kilwinning Chapter, St. Aldemar Commandery, Knights Templar). Clubs: Mercantile, Missouri Athletic, Blue Wing Hunting and Fishing. Office: 425 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 5072 Delmar Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DOWLING, John James, president John J. Dowling Real Estate Co.; born, St. Louis, Mar. 23, 1883; son of James J. and Mary (Dowling) Dowling; educated St. Lawrence O'Toole (parochial) School, 14th and O'Fallon Sts., to thirteen years of age; then entered Columbia (public) School, Garrison and St. Louis Aves., in which continued for three years; married, St. Louis, Jan. 14, 1903, Helen T., daughter of Owen J. Moran (wife died Sept. 24, 1909); married, 2d, Aug. 16, 1911, Katherine S. A. Moran, sister of first wife; two children by first marriage: L. Gregory and Dorothy Katherine. Began active career as partner of father in mercantile business in East St. Louis under title of J. J. Dowling & Son; disposed of interest to brother (firm still in existence), and became identified with real estate Jan. 1, 1908; president John J. Dowling Real Estate Co.; director Security Title Co., title examiners exclusively. Secretary and director of St. Louis Real Estate Exchange since 1909, present term ending 1914. Democrat. Catholic. President Irish-American Sons of Erin, of St. Louis; member Marquette Council of the Knights of Columbus. Clubs: Irish-American Athletic, Missouri Athletic, St. Louis Automobile. Recreations: motoring, baseball. Office: 1134 Chestnut St. Residence: 5253 Maple Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DOWLING, Patrick, retired; born, County Roscommon, Ireland, Mar. 18, 1844; son of Michael and Mary (McCormack) Dowling; educated in public schools; married, Davenport, La., 1875, Mary Carroll (died Apr. 1, 1880); 2d, St. Louis, April 23, 1881, Jane Cullinen; six children: Daniel, Michael, Jennie (Mrs. William Clark), Patrick, Thomas, Annie. Came to America, 1864; employed as track and bridge builder on Iron Mountain R. R., 1864-65; then as section man, Missouri Pacific, and later foreman section hands, Wabash B. R.; was foreman Iron Mountain R. R. until 1873, when began as railroad contractor, in which continued actively for various railways in southwest for thirty years; retired in 1902. Catholic. Member Legion of Honor. Residence: 5152 Maple Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DOWNMAN, Hugh Hamilton, vice president The Scudders-Gale Grocer Co.; born near Richmond, Va., Dec. 8, 1863; son of J. J. and Isabella (Hamilton) Downman; educated in private school at Fredericksburg, Va.; unmarried. Came to St. Louis from Fredericksburg, Va., 1883, and began business career in office of Krafft-Holmes Grocer Co.; this firm was succeeded, in 1890, by J. W. Scudder & Co. (of which became a member), and when that firm and The Scudder-Gale Grocer Co. were consolidated in January, 1903, as The Scudders-Gale Grocer Co., became secretary of latter corporation; vice president same since January, 1912. Episcopalian. Club: Mercantile. Office: 712 Spruce St. Residence: 4386 Laclede Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DOYLE, James Graflin, president H. G. Doyle Bricklaying Co.; born, St. Louis Co., Dec. 12, 1832; son of Marcus Lafayette and Helen (Godfrey) Doyle; educated in public and private schools, St. Louis, to 1849; married, St. Louis, Oct. 18, 1855, Mary Ann Graham (died 1883); married, 2d, St. Louis, May 27, 1885, Maggie B. Elam (died 1893); eleven children, six living: Lewis S., William G., Effie F., Harry G., Mrs. Birdell Cooney, James G., Jr., and five step-children. Began business career as brickwork contractor, St. Louis, 1855, then added brick making in 1858, and continued both until 1861. Enlisted in Confederate Army at Springfield, Mo., December, 1861, under Gen. Sterling Price; was with Gen. F. M. Cockerel's command during most time in service, also served under McCullough, Van Dorn, Beauregard, Joseph Johnson, Hood, Maury and Dick Taylor; taken prisoner at fall of Vicksburg, July 4, 1863; last engagement was at Fort Blakely, Mobile Bay, 1865; served until close of the war. Returned to St. Louis and reengaged in brick making until 1872; made investments in Kansas City, Mo., and operated brick plant there until 1873. Became president St. Louis Granite Wall Plaster Co., 1890, also of National Brick and Quarry Co., now known as the Continental Brick Co., until 1895; president of the Doyle Bricklaying Co., general brick contractors. Democrat. Methodist. Office: 521 Victoria Bldg. Residence: 5078 Fairmont Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DOZIER, Lewis D.; born in St. Charles Co., Mo., Aug. 25, 1846; son of Capt. James and Mary A. (Dudgeon) Dozier; educated in public and private schools and Bryant & Stratton Business College, St. Louis; married, St. Louis, 1886, Rebecca £. Lewis; two children: Lewis D., Jr., and Eleanore. Early became partner in baking business of Garneau & Dozier, which expired by limitation in 1872; then became one of partners in Dozier, Weyl & Co., of which father was senior member; on father's death partnership was succeeded by corporation, under name of Dozier-Weyl Cracker Co., of which he was president; in 1888 purchased interest of Mr. Weyl, and conducted the business as Dozier Cracker Co. until 1890, when the corporation was merged into the American Biscuit and Manufacturing Co.; in 1898 that corporation was purchased by the National Biscuit Co., in which is a director. Director of Mercantile Trust Co., Mercantile Library, St. Luke'8 Hospital, Provident Association, Pure Milk Commission. Member Business Men's League, Civic League. One of thirteen members of executive committee Louisiana Purchase Exposition; member of Missouri Historical Society; trustee (life) Bellefontaine Cemetery; ex-president Board of Trustees Rankin School of Mechanical Trades; member Board of Trustees Y. M. C. A. Clubs: Commercial, St. Louis, Noonday, University, St. Louis Country, Racquet, Log Cabin. Recreations: golf and traveling. Office: Security Bldg. Residence: Westmoreland PI.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DRACH, Edward Charles, electrotyper; born, Cincinnati, 0., Sept. 29, 1848; son of Louis and Barbara (Keller) Drach; educated in Cincinnati public schools; married, St. Louis, Sept. 16, 1872, Sybilla Bermel; children: Edward R., Lucien, Eugene J., Walter C, Charles A., William H., Lillian (Mrs. Henry Steimke). Learned trade of electrotyper at Chicago, and in 1867 came to St. Louis; worked for Strassburger & Drach for a few years, and later on the organization of the Charles A. Drach Electrotype Co., of which became secretary and is now vice president. Catholic. Member Catholic Knights of America, Knights of Columbus, St. Vincent de Paul Society. Office: 325 Locust St. Residence: 3535 Wyoming St.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DREES, Henry, clergyman; born, Freelandsville, Ind., Sept. 21, 1856; son of Henry and Wilhelmine (Schoene) Drees; educated at German Evangelical Bethel School, Freelandsville, from 1865-69, public school, Huntingburg, Ind., 1869-74, Proseminary (German Evangelical Synod of North America), Elmhurst, Dl., 1875-79, Eden College, St. Louis, same synod, 1879-82, graduating June, 1882; married, St. Louis, Apr. 19, 1883, Martha Braschler; children: Hulda (Mrs. J. J. Gruetter), Lydia, Fritz, Karl, Arthur, Arnold. Pastor German Evangelical St. Matthew's Congregation from July, 1882, to August, 1895, and again since September, 1899. From August, 1895, to April, 1899, had charge of a congregation at Buffaloville, Ind., and was engaged in mission work in Birmingham, Ala. Address: 2613 Potomac Street.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DREES, William Frederick, secretary and treasurer Natural Power Co.; born, St. Louis, Aug. 21, 1875; son of John H. and Maria C. (Imholz) Drees; educated in public schools, attending high school, to 1890; took course in Bryant & Stratton's Business College, 1891; unmarried. Bookkeeper with Peters Shoe Co., 1892-95; then secretary to president, Henry W. Peters, 1896-99; and traveling salesman, 1900-1907; elected president Dover Place Realty and Investment Co., 1908; secretary and treasurer Natural Power Co., since 1909. Republican. Lutheran. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Million Population. Office: 209-210 Houser Bldg. Residence: 2908 Sullivan Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DRESCHER, Frederick B., physician; born, St. Louis, Sept. 4, 1861; son of Gustave William and Ernestine (Hirschfeld) Drescher; educated public schools; Washington University; St. Louis College of Pharmacy, Ph.G., 1882; Missouri Medical College, M.D., 1884; married, St. Louis, June 21, 1893, Ida E. Schade (died May 25, 1906). Practiced at Lebanon, ILL., about three months, 1884, then became connected with the Wabash Hospital, Danville, ILL., continuing about ten months; in practice in St. Louis since May 7, 1885; in charge of medical department Alexian Brothers Hospital, 1887-90. Director Farmers and Merchants Trust Co. Member St. Louis Medical Society, American Medical Association. Clubs: Western Rowing, Tower Grove Turn Verein. Office and Residence: 2154 Stansbury Street.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DRESSELL, Harry Melvin, railway official; born, Cincinnati, Mar. 10, 1875; son of William and Elizabeth (De Vinney) Dressell; educated in public schools; married, St. Louis, Feb. 16, 1898, Stella Voerster; one child: Rolla Edwin. With Ohio & Mississippi Ry., auditor's office, Cincinnati, 1889-90, and in general passenger office, same road, 1890-92; with Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern By., 1892-97. Removed to St. Louis, 1898, and since connected with passenger department Wabash R. R.; general passenger office, 1898-99; city passenger agent, 1899-1908; since general agent passenger department. Methodist. Recreation: fishing. Office: 8th and Olive Sts. Residence: 5516 Maple Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DREW, John Graham, railway official; born, Hammondsport, N. Y., Feb. 12, 1864; son of John M. and Hannah (Graham) Drew; educated in public schools of St. Joseph, Mo.; married, St. Joseph, Mar. 19, 1890, Ella M. Bender; two children: Charles, Elizabeth. Began as station clerk at Seneca, Kan., St. Joseph & Western (now St. Joseph & Grand Island) R. R., January, 1881; continued eighteen years, telegraph operator to auditor of road; appointed assistant comptroller Great Northern Ry., 8t. Paul, Minn., June 1, J 899, comptroller, June 1, 1902; general auditor, Missouri Pacific-Iron Mountain System, June, 1911-July 9, 1912; since vice president Missouri Pacific and St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern railways. Republican. Presbyterian. Mason, Knight Templar, Shriner. Clubs: St. Louis, Triple A. Recreation: golf. Office: Missouri Pacific Bldg. Residence: 5092 Waterman Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DREY, Leo Albert, president Schram Manufacturing Co.; born, St. Louis, Sept. 4, 1876; son of Albert and Marie (Morgenstern) Drey; educated in St. Louis public schools and at private schools in Germany; unmarried. Began in 1888, in employ of Drey & Kahn Glass Co., advancing to secretary in 1898, vice president, 1902, later president, business being disposed of, 1906; since president of Schram Manufacturing Co., manufacturers of fruit jars. Jewish in religion. Clubs: Columbian, Amateur Athletic Association, Westwood Country. Recreations: golf and fishing. Office: 812 Wright Bldg. Residence: Buckingham Hotel.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DREYER, Eugene Charles, president Dreyer Commission Co.; born, St. Louis, Feb. 28, 1876 ; son of Charles and Fanny (Weisels) Dreyer; educated in St. Louis public schools from age of six to fourteen, then took six months' course in Perkins & Herpel Business College, St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Feb. 22, 1900, Irene Bender; children: Charles B., Felix S. and Stanley W. Began business career in country store, Stockton, Mo., for about year, then for six months in retail cigar store in St. Louis and for two years with Meyer, Bannerman Saddlery Co.; at National Stock Yards, East St. Louis, ILL., as assistant to superintendent of horse and mule department, until March, 1897; was connected with Hunter Bros. Milling Co. as bookkeeper until 1901 and secretary and treasurer until firm liquidated, January, 1910; since president Dreyer Commission Co. Jewish religion. Member St. Louis Merchants' Exchange. Clubs: Knobel, St. Louis Grain and St. Louis Millers'. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office: 412 Chamber of Commerce. Residence: 5716 Von Versen Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DRIEMEYER, George F., merchant tailor; born, St. Louis, Oct. 6, 1866; son of Frederick A. and Mary (Hildebrand) Driemeyer; educated Everett School, and Polytechnic, St. Louis; married, Red Bud, ILL., Oct. 5, 1892, Minnie Ahnefeld; seven children: Arthur, Adele, Fred, Norma, George, Bertram, Raymond. Began in tailoring business in St. Louis, Sept. 15, 1896; bought out the John H. French Tailoring Co., August, 1905, and consolidated the firms under title of "Driemeyer, Tailor." President Custom Cutters' Association of St. Louis, 1909-12; president International Custom Cutters' Association of America since Feb. 8, 1912; member West End Business Men's Association of St. Louis. Treasurer Riddick School Patrons' Alliance. Republican. Member Evangelical Church. Recreations: baseball, fishing. Office: n. w. cor. 7th and Pine Sts. Residence: 5410 Vernon Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DRISCHLER, Francis, architect; born, New York, Mar. 3, 1873; son of Francis and Marie (Wienecke) Drischler; educated in New York public schools and also in Belgium, Germany and France by traveling and private tuition; married, New York, Sept. 29, 1896, Ida Stier; children: Carl Stier, Marian. Served in Spanish-American war as sergeant of Troop A, Fourth U. S. Cavalry; served actively in the Philippines for three years, taking part in various skirmishes, the capture of San Isidro, Lawton's Northern Expedition, Oct. 11 to Dec. 5, 1899, and General Schwan's Southern Expedition, Jan. 3 to Feb. 15, 1899. Came to St. Louis after leaving army in 1901, and was for two and one-half years engaged as draughtsman with Eames & Young, architects; since January, 1904, engaged for self in practice as architect; entered into partnership with H. G. Clymer, July 1, 1909, as Clymer  Drischler; constructed the State Normal School, Springfield, Mo., Princess Theater, St. Louis, Schubert Theater, Denver, etc. Republican. Member American Institute of Architects, St. Louis Chapter. Member Army of the Philippines; Walker Jennings Camp, Spanish War Veterans; adjutant Department of Missouri, Spanish War Veterans, 1912-13. Mason. Club: Army and Navy of St. Louis (board of directors). Office: 619 Wainwright Bldg. Residence: 4610 Westminster PI.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DROSTEN, Frederick William, jeweler; born, St. Louis, Jan. 19, 1858; son of William and Rosalia (Gross) Drosten; educated at German Institute and Washington University; married, St. Louis, June 26, 1883, Rosa Muller; one son: William George. Apprenticed to trade of watchmaker and jeweler, 1873-77; employed by William Loeffel, jeweler and watchmaker, 1877-80; embarked on own account as retail jeweler in 1880, at 619 Olive St., and removed, 1898, to 7th and Pine Sts., and engaged in retail and manufacturing business and importer of diamonds and precious gems, gold and silversmith; removed to more commodious quarters, Nov. 20, 1905, 7th and Locust Sts. Member Business Men's League. Mason (32s); Anchor Lodge, Oriental Chapter, Ascalon Commandery, Knights Templar, and Moolah Temple, Mystic Shrine. Member Liederkranz Society and St. Louis Symphony Society. Clubs: Union, Mercantile, Glen Echo. Recreation: golf. Office: S. W. corner Locust and 7th Sts. Residence: 2011 Park Avenue
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUBROUILLET, Francois V., treasurer St. Louis Union Trust Co.; born, Linn, Mo., July 22, 1870; son of Theophile and Julie (Melin) Dubrouillet; educated in public schools; married, St. Louis, Apr. 24, 1895, Hattie Brown; one daughter: Julie Mary. Began active career in employ of the Orr & Lindsley Shoe Co., St. Louis, continuing until 1897; since connected with St. Louis Trust Co., and has been treasurer same since 1907. Republican. Catholic. Clubs: Bankers', Bellerive Country. Recreation: golf. Office: 401 X. 4th St. Residence: 5518 Cabanne Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUCKWORTH, Edmund, clergyman; born, Burnley, Lancashire, Eng., Aug. 26, 1857; son of Caleb and Ellen (Blakey) Duckworth; educated English public schools; Keswick College, England, 1878-80; special student under Pastor Just, of Bradford, Eng., 1880-81; married in New York, Nov. 12, 1883, Annie Birkby, of Liversedge, Yorkshire, Eng. (who died January, 1908); married, 2d, St. Louis, Jan. 25, 1910, Angeline E. S. Pullis; five children by first marriage: Leona B. (Mrs. T. J. Johnson), Millicent B. (Mrs. C. R. McDonald), Jessie B., Laurence E., George E. Came to America, October, 1881; was among the Indians and at the mines on Lake Superior two years, at Palmyra, Wis., three years, at Union Grove, Wis., three years, at Oconomowoc, Wis., five years; came to St. Louis, October, 1894; deacon, 1895, priest, 1896, Protestant Episcopal Church; rector St. James Church, 1895-1910, and since Apr. 1, 1910, rector of united parishes of St. James Church and the Church of the Redeemer. Club: Mercantile. Recreations: cricket and tennis. Residence: 4946 Washington Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUCKWORTH, Edward Chester, printer and publisher; born, St. Louis, July 1, 1866; son of Edwin James and Elizabeth (Brook) Duckworth; educated in public schools; married, St. Louis, June 12, 1889, Elizabeth Clobes; one daughter living: Edna Elizabeth, and one son, Edwin, deceased. Began in printing business at 312 Locust St., in August, 1893, and is now vice president Hughes & Co.; also vice president Hughes Realty and Investment Co. Episcopalian. Member Masonic Order. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office: 214 Pine St. Residence: 3520 N. Taylor Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUDLEY, Clifton Rogers, physician; born in Marion Co., Mo., Dec. 24, 186"; son of James Rogers and Sarah Waller (Rodes) Dudley; educated at Centenary High School, Palmyra, Mo., until 1886; University of Virginia, 1886-89; M.D., Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York, 1891; unmarried. After graduation in medicine entered Charity Hospital, New York, and served as interne eighteen months; then practiced medicine in Brooklyn, N. Y., for short time; came to St. Louis in March, 1894, and has since been engaged in practice of medicine in St. Louis. Medical director Missouri State Life Insurance Co. Member St. Louis Medical Society, St. Louis Obstetrical and Gynecological Society, Missouri State Medical Association, American Medical Association. Democrat. Baptist. Recreation: hunting. Office: 508 Carleton Bldg. Residence: Hotel Berlin.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUDLEY, S. Stockwell, commercial agent Merchants' and Miners' Transportation Co.; born, Flemingsburg, Ky., Mar. 12, 1865; son of Newton S. and Arabella (Stockwell) Dudley; educated in Flemingsburg (Ky.) public schools and Kentucky Wesleyan College, Millersburg, Ky.; married, St. Louis, Mar. 21, 1898, Mary Shumate Morris; children: Frances S., Arabelle S. Was telegraph operator on Kentucky Central Ry., Johnson, Ky., 1887-90; with Kanawha Dispatch as assistant auditor at Cincinnati, 1890-91; contracting agent, St. Louis, Dec. 1, 1891, to Aug. 1, 1894; agent, Toledo, Aug. 1, 1894, to March, 1897; agent, St. Louis, from March, 1897, to Nov. 1, 1905, when was appointed commercial agent Merchants' and Miners' Transportation Co. at St. Louis. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Tuscan Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and St. Aldemar Commandery, Knights Templar. Club: The Traffic. Recreation: hunting. Office: 220-221 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 1039 Goodfellow Avenue.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUFFY, Joseph Aloysius, real estate; born, St. Louis, Feb. 2, 1858; son of Michael (architect and builder) and Sarah Jane (McGee) Duffy; educated at St. Louis University; married, St. Louis, Nov. 13, 1884, Martha Gartside; children: Joseph Gartside (deceased), Ozite Elaine. Began business career as clerk for Graff, Bennett & Co., iron merchants; then engaged in grain and commission business until embarked in real estate and financial agency business; now head of firm of Joseph A. Duffy & Co. Also extensive breeder and raiser of thoroughbred stock, and owner of several valuable stock farms. Member Merchants' Exchange. Mason and Odd Fellow. Club: Missouri Athletic. Favorite recreation: breeding of fine cattle. Office: Room 2, 717 Chestnut St. Residence: 4038 Morgan St.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUGGAN, William J., secretary Mercantile Trust Co.; born, St. Louis, June 2, 1864; son of William and Mary (Nagle) Duggan; educated in St. Louis public schools; married, St. Louis, Sept. 23, 1894, Emma Townsend (died May 6, 1911); children: William T., Helen G., Thomas D. With Samuel Cupples Woodenware Co. as clerk, 1880-87; engaged with George T. Webb Woodenware Co., Kansas City, Mo., 1888-92; then with A. Giesel Manufacturing Co., as secretary, 1893-1902; credit manager, 1902-09, since secretary, Mercantile Trust Co. Democrat. Catholic Club: Mercantile. Recreations: fishing, baseball. Office: 721 Locust St. Residence: 5243 Raymond Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUNCAN, Abner Harvey, retired; born in Callaway Co., Ky., May, 1843; son of Crawford A. and Elizabeth (Harvey) Duncan; educated in school at Murray, Ky.; married, Henry Co., Tenn., January, 1869, Laura Henry; children: Crawford Henry, Mary (Mrs. William Everett), Lucy (Mrs. J. B. Rogers). Enlisted in Confederate Army on breaking out of Civil War, and was second lieutenant in Third Kentucky Regiment, serving under Generals Hood and Forrest. After war located in Tennessee, where was engaged in farming, general merchandise and drug business, and from 1889 to November, 1904, was vice president of Paris (Tenn.) Medicine Co.; came to St. Louis May, 1900, and was president of the Mayfield Woolen Mills Clothing Co. until 1909. Democrat. Member Tennessee and Kentucky societies of St. Louis. Mason (32°), Knight Templar, Shriner. Residence: Kirkwood, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUNCAN, Guilford, president The Ludlow-Saylor Wire Co.; born, St. Louis, Feb. 27, 1878; son of William and Frances Smith (Pickering) Duncan; educated in St. Louis public schools until 1893; Smith Academy, 1893-96; Yale University, 1896--1900, A.B., 1900; married, St. Louis, 1903, Emma L. Aull; one son: William Guilford. Entered employ of The Ludlow-Saylor Wire Co. in 1900, serving in various capacities at the factory until 1902, when was made secretary of the company; so continued until close of 1905, when was elected vice president, president May, 1912, the company being manufacturers of all kinds of wire work, window screen cloth and ornamental brass, copper and steel work. Presbyterian. Clubs: University, Missouri Athletic, Glen Echo. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office: Newstead Ave. and Wabash R. R. Residence: 4711 Westminster PI.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUNCAN, James P., assistant treasurer Buxton & Skinner Stationery Co.; born, Sidney, O.; son of John and Margaret (Fulton) Duncan; educated public and high schools, Sidney, and business college, Poughkeepsie, N. Y.; married at Rutland, Vt., 1881, Candice E. Cole, of Vermont; children: Robert C, James H., Andrew C, Miriam M. Began active career as clerk in store at Sidney; later spent two years in wholesale store of Cal Barker, Toledo, O.; served as deputy county treasurer Shelby Co., 0.; removed to St. Louis, 1879, and was placed in charge of office work of R. I). Patterson & Co., becoming secretary and treasurer of the company; after business was sold to the Buxton & Skinner Stationery Co. was made assistant treasurer of latter concern. Member St. Louis Credit Men's Association. Democrat. Presbyterian. Recreation: horseback riding. Office: 306 N. 4th St. Residence: 5886 Clemens Ave. Summer Residence: Hill Crest Cottage, Arcadia, Mo.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUNCAN, John Harris, dermatologist; born, Columbia, Mo., Aug. 16, 1852; son of William H. and Susan W. (Harris) Duncan; student University of Missouri, 1865-69; A.M., William Jewell College, Missouri, 1872; M.D., University of Missouri, 1874; M.D., Bellevue Hospital Medical College (New York University), 1875; (LL.D., William Jewell College, 1904); married S. Belle Dulany, of Hannibal, Mo., Dec. 21, 1881. Began practice at Columbia, Mo., 1875; professor physiology, University of Missouri, 1875-83; professor physiology and dermatology, University Medical College of Kansas City, 1883-93, St. Louis College Physicians and Surgeons, 1893-4; professor physiology, Barnes Medical College, St. Louis, 1898-1901; professor diseases of the skin and syphilis, Marion-Sims-Beaumont Medical College (St. Louis University), 1901 to 1908. Member American Medical Association, Missouri State Medical Society (president 1896-1907), St. Louis Medical Society, St. Louis Medical Library Association (vice president since 1898); president Academy of Medicine, Kansas City, 1892. Democrat. Baptist. Club: Glen Echo. Office: Humboldt Bldg. Residence: Buckingham Hotel.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUNCAN, Wayne Abel, president W. A. Duncan Land and Real Estate Co.; born, Memphis, Tenn., June 10, 1882; son of William A. and Katherine J. (Schultz) Duncan; graduated Memphis Grammar and High schools and from the preparatory school of Jones & Perry; matriculated in Law Department, University of Tennessee, graduating with degree of LL.B., 1902; married, Memphis, July 29, 190(5, Norma M. Seifred; one daughter: Lady Claudia. Was traveling freight agent for Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Ry. at age of twenty; engaged in real estate business at Memphis for three years and in same line of business in St. Louis since 1900; president W. A. Duncan Land and Realty Co., successors to W. A. Rutledge Realty Co., formerly the Rutledge & Horton Realty Co., organized in 1881, and located at 1005 Chestnut St.; also president Rinehart Realty Co., Hillside Real Estate and Investment Co. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange. Democrat. Mason; member Sigma Alpha Epsilon college fraternity. Recreation: motoring. Office: 1005 Chestnut St. Residence: 3810 Westminster PI.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUNCAN, William, manufacturer, capitalist; born, Birkenhead, England, Aug. 20, 1845; son of Robert and Mary (Thompson) Duncan; educated in St. Louis public schools and Jones Commercial College; married, St. Louis, Aug. 4, 1864, Fannie S. Pickering; children: Mrs. Joseph W. Jacob, Mrs. Frank Low, Guilford, Mrs. R. Calvin Dobson. Began business career in railroad service, 1863, as clerk in employ of Ohio & Mississippi R. R., at East St. Louis, ILL.; appointed general freight agent, same road, with offices in St. Louis, 1872; appointed vice president of Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Ry., a consolidation of the Ohio & Mississippi Ry. and the Cincinnati, Washington & Baltimore R. R., in 1893; resigned, 1896, to engage in manufacturing business; now president Charter Oak Stone and Range Co. and chairman advisory board of the Ludlow-Saylor Wire Co. Republican. Presbyterian. Clubs: Mercantile, Glen Echo. Recreation: golf. Office: 634 S. Newstead Ave. Residence: 4481 Westminster PI.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUNCKER, Charles Henry, carpet merchant; born, St. Louis, May 1, 1865; son of Henry and Mary (Bergesch) Duncker; educated in St. Louis public schools, Smith Academy, Washington University; married, Philadelphia, Apr. 20, 1892, Pauline E. Doerr; children: Charles Henry, Jr., Henry Philip. Began business career in 1882 in the wholesale and retail carpet and draperies house of Trorlicht, Duncker & Renard Carpet Co. (established, 1863) and advanced through various positions, being elected president, 1906; in January, 1907, firm name was changed to Trorlicht-Duncker Carpet Co., of which is also president. Republican. Protestant. Member Business Men's League, Civic League. Member B. P. O. Elks. Club: Missouri Athletic. Recreations: hunting, fishing and motoring. Office: Fourth St. and Washington Ave. Resilience: 3636 Page Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUNHAM, Charles Scott, dentist; born, Greeley, Colo., Dec. 29, 1871; son of Edward L. and Annie G. (Scott) Dunham; descendant of early Pilgrim ancestry of Massachusetts; educated in public schools and business college; matriculated in Ohio College of Dental Surgery (University of Cincinnati), graduating with degree of D.D.S., 1896; studied for one year with uncle, Dr. Charles Scott, of Zanesville, O.; married, St. Louis, June 28, 1904, Elizabeth Dirque. Practiced at New Orleans, and in employ of a dentist in St. Louis until 1898; has since conducted office on own account. Member St. Louis Society of Dental Science (treasurer, 1908-10), Missouri State Dental Society.  Presbyterian.  Odd Fellow. Expert musician; performer on trombone and euphonium; member St. Louis Orchestra Club, Orphans' Musical Society. Recreations: amateur photography and music. Office: Star Bldg. Residence: 3635 McRee Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DUNN, James Randall, chief of U. S. Immigration Service, St. Louis; born, Elmira, N. Y., Nov. 21, 1856; son of John Davis and Julia M. (Randall) Dunn; educated in public schools of Massillon, O.; married, Massillon, Aug. 7, 1879, Caroline R. Brown; children: John Randall, Helen Marjorie (Mrs. Jean De Shon). Engaged in general real estate and investment business at Massillon, 1878; acted as trustee, administrator and receiver of various estates, bought and sold lands in Kansas, Illinois, Georgia, Ohio, etc. Organized land and manufacturing corporations and syndicates in Kansas, Ohio and New York; removed to New York, 1890; retired from active business in 1892, and in 1893 was appointed as chief of office of U. S. Treasury special agents at World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago; has been an officer of U. S. Government almost continuously since 1892, filling special positions in charge at expositions and posts requiring special organization; was chief of Chinese Immigration Bureau in San Francisco, 1899-1903; after creation of Department of Commerce and Labor in 1903, an office was established in St. Louis and he was assigned to take charge, jurisdiction extending over Missouri, Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma. Republican. Christian Scientist. President Bishop-DeWaters Manufacturing Co. Mason, Knight Templar and Shriner. Recreation: golf. Office: 1305 Chemical Bldg. Residence: 4929 McPherson Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DURHAM, William Arthur, assistant general manager Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway Co.; born on farm in Gerrard Co., Ky., Mar. 22, 1867; son of James Harrison and Josephine (Dickerson) Durham; educated in the public schools to 1882; unmarried. Began railroad career as call boy with Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway Co., 1884; advanced to clerk, 1886, chief clerk to superintendent, 1S89, supervisor of wages, 1901, assistant to general manager, 1909, and assistant general manager since May, 1910. Democrat. Member Christian Church. Recreation: outdoor sports. Office: 408 Wainwright Bldg. Residence: Marquette Hotel.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DURNING, Thomas Roy, merchant; born, Allegheny, Pa., Sept. 17, 1882; son of Joseph S. and M. (Cooke) Durning; graduated public schools of Allegheny; married, Allegheny, Apr. 6, 1904, Ettie Loveless; two children, both of whom are deceased. Began active career as cash boy with Joseph Home Co., Pittsburgh, Pa., advancing to position of salesman; then became buyer in boys' clothing department; came to St. Louis, 1907, and for four years was in charge of young men's and boys' department in store of Werner & Werner; assisted in organizing the Durning-Ireland Co., boys' clothing, which has been in existence since Aug. 6, 1910, and of which is president and manager. Methodist. Member Tower Grove Improvement Association. Recreation: baseball. Office: 412 N. Broadway. Residence: 5619 Etzel Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DYAS, David Leonard, real estate; born in Floyd Co., Ia., Dec. 11, 1866; son of Charles and Susan (Hopkins) Dyas; educated in public schools and at the School of Mines and Metallurgy, Rollo, Mo.; married, Kansas City, Mo., Oct. 3, 1904, Minnie Kiel; one son: Richard. Began business career as clerk in wholesale grocery firm at St. Louis; traveling salesman for N. K. Fairbank Co., until 1893, when started in real estate business in firm of Dyas Bros. & Co., which was merged into the Dyas Realty Co., of which is president. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange. Member Christian (Campbellite) Church. Independent in politics. Favorite recreations: fishing and golf. Office: 107 N. 9th St. Residence: 5720 Chamberlain Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DYER, David Patterson, judge; born in Henry Co., Va., Feb. 12, 1838; son of David and Nancy R. Dyer; moved to Missouri, 1841; educated public schools and St. Charles College; married, Nov. 15, 1860, Lizzie Chambers Hunt, of Pike Co., Mo.; children: Ezra Hunt, Emma Grace (Mrs. Edgar R. Hunting), David P., Jr., Elizabeth, Horace L., Louise (Mrs. Frank Fay). Admitted to bar at Bowling Green, Mo., 1859; practiced in Pike and adjoining counties until 1875; member Congress, 1869-71; appointed U. S. attorney, 1875, and removed to St. Louis. Prosecuted the "Whiskey Ring," 1875-76; Republican candidate for governor, 1880, defeated; delegate-at-large, Republican National Convention, Chicago, 1888, and Philadelphia, 1900; U. S. attorney, Eastern District of Missouri, 1902-07; judge U. S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri, since Apr. 1, 1907. Member American Bar Association, Loyal Legion. Mason. Address: U. S. Custom House. Residence: 3807 Delmar Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DYER, Ezra Hunt, secretary and treasurer of the Mound City Paint and Color Co.; born, Louisiana, Mo., Mar. 27, 1864; resident of St. Louis since 1875; son of David Patterson and Elizabeth Chambers (Hunt) Dyer; educated in St. Louis public schools and Washington University; married, St. Louis, Nov. 21, 1888, Julia Frances Gregg; one child: Orian Elizabeth.  Began business career as clerk with Krafft, Holmes & Co., wholesale grocers, 1883-86; with F. K. Rice & Co., cigars and tobacco, 1886-87; secretary and treasurer Springfield Lumber and Cooperage Co., at Springfield, Mo., 1887-90; since December, 1890, secretary and treasurer of the Mound City Paint and Color Co. Also secretary and treasurer Gregg Varnish Co. Member Business Men's League. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Military Order of the Loyal Legion, Sons of the Revolution. Clubs: St. Louis, Noonday, Mercantile. Recreation: home diversions. Office: 1531 N. 11th St. Residence: 4544 Laclede Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DYER, George L., manager Columbian National Life Insurance Co.; born, Ottawa, Franklin Co., Kan., Oct. 16, 1878; son of Martin and Mary A. (Meade) Dyer; educated in Kansas, graduating from St. Mary's College, 1898; entered Kansas State Normal School, Emporia, from which graduated, 1900; married, Ottawa, Kan., Dec. 20, 1905, Katherine M. Dobson; one child: George L., Jr. Began business career as field manager Mutual Life Insurance Co., at Topeka, Kan., July 27, 1903, and continued until Dec. 1, 1905; then became general manager Union Central Life Insurance Co., at Kansas City, Mo.; resigned, Feb. 15, 1911, to become manager Columbian National Life Insurance Co., St. Louis. Member Life Underwriters' Association, Business Men's League, Civic League. Republican. Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus, B. P. O. Elks. Club: St. Louis. Recreations: golf and tennis. Office: 606-607 La Salle Bldg. Residence: 5553 Waterman Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DYER, H. Chouteau, lawyer; born, St. Louis, Aug. 9, 1872; son of John N. and Corinne (Chouteau) Dyer; graduated from Smith Academy, St. Louis, 1889; Harvard College, A.B., 1894; Harvard Law School, LL.B., 1896; married, Cambridge, Mass., June 15, 1897, Ethel M. Raymond (died, 1910); children: Grace, John Raymond, Randolph Harrison, Clarissa L., and Ethel Chouteau. Admitted to bar in 1897, and has since been engaged in general practice of law in St. Louis. Member St. Louis Bar Association. Member Civic League. First lieutenant and battalion adjutant First Regiment of Infantry, 1904-06; captain, 1906-09; major, 1909-11, National Guard of Missouri. Democrat. Episcopalian. Clubs: Racquet, City, Sunset Hill Country. Office: 1718, 506 Olive St. Residence: 29 Lenox PI.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DYER, Horace Levi, lawyer; born, Louisiana, Mo., Feb. 24, 1873; son of David Patterson and Elizabeth C. (Hunt) Dyer; educated in Stoddard School, St. Louis; Clark's Academy; Manual Training School; Smith Academy, graduating in class of 1890; University of Michigan, LL.B., 1895; married, Bettie Edgar, June 7, 1899 (died, 1901); 2d, Chicago,-Dec. 2, 1905, Betsy Wilcox; one son: David Wilcox. Admitted to bar in June, 1895, and since engaged in practice at St. Louis; assistant city attorney, 1899-1902; assistant U. S. attorney for the Eastern District of Missouri, 1902-07. Member Sigma Chi fraternity. Episcopalian. Republican. Favorite recreations: baseball, football and sailing. Office: 705 Olive St. Residence: 4475 Berlin Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DYER, Leonidas Carstarphen, congressman; born in Warren Co., Mo., June 11, 1871; son of James Coleman and Martha E. (Camp) Dyer; educated at Central Wesleyan College, Warrenton, Mo., and Law Department of Washington University, St. Louis; married, Apr. 10, 1898, Clara Hyer, of Warrensburg, Mo.; two children: Martha, Catherine. Admitted to bar, 1893, and since in practice at St. Louis. Assistant circuit attorney, St. Louis, 1909-10; member Sixty-second Congress (1911-1913), Twelfth Missouri District; Republican. Member Business Men's League. Served as private throughout Spanish-American War, in Santiago campaign; on staff of Governor Hadley, Missouri, with rank of colonel. Member Christian (Disciples) Church. Mason; member Odd Fellows, Modern Woodmen, Royal Arcanum, Eagles, Owls. Club: Million Population. Office: 315 Chemical Bldg. Residence: 3031 St. Vincent Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


DYSART, Thomas N., investment banking; born in Randolph Co., Mo., Sept. 2, 1880; son of Dr. William P. and Mary S. (Collins) Dysart; educated in public and high schools of Moberly, Mo., to 1896; matriculated in University of Missouri, 1899; entered St. Louis Law School, from which was graduated with degree of LL.B., 1903; married, Macon, Mo., May 24, 1905, Jessie M. Patton. Admitted to Missouri bar, 1903; began practice at Macon, Mo.; became attorney for William R. Compton Co., investment bankers, 1904; removed to St. Louis with the company, March, 1908, and served as vice president and general counsel, devoting entire time to legal department of company's business. Police judge, Macon, 1904-05. Episcopalian. Member St. Louis Bar Association, St. Louis Alumni Association of University of Missouri, and St. Louis Alumni Association of Washington University. Mason, Knight Templar; member Sigma Nu and Phi Delta Phi college fraternities. Clubs: Noonday, City, Bellerive Country. Favorite recreations: hunting, golf. Office: 206 Merchants-Laclede Bldg. Residence: 5642 Kingsbury Boul.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.