Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" E "

Rev. Joseph C. EI, S. M., president of the Chaminade College of St Louis county, was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, November 19, 1875, a son of Casper Joseph and Josephine (Tittlebach) Ei, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania and were of German descent. The father was a stationary engineer and resided in Pittsburgh for many years, or to the time of his death.
Rev. Mr. Ei was educated in St. Mary's College at Dayton, Ohio, where he pursued his high school course and his Junior college studies. Subsequently he went to France and studied at the University of Besangon, while later he was a student in Paris, completing his studies at the University of Fribourg, in Fribourg, Switzerland. He was ordained to the priesthood on the 30th of July, 1905, and with his return to America became a teacher in St. Mary's University at Dayton, Ohio, there remaining for two years. Subsequently he was chaplain and teacher in the St Louis College at San Antonio, Texas, where he remained for five years, and for four years was president of St Mary's College at San Antonio, Texas. In 1916 he came to St Louis county, Missouri, and was appointed to the presidency of Chaminade College and has since been at the head of this institution.
Professor Ei is a member of the Society of Mary. Since his ordination to the priesthood he has devoted his life to educational work and is particularly capable and successful in this field.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Herman Jacob Elson, treasurer and manager of Walter A. Zelnicker Supply Company of St. Louis, manufacturers of railroad equipment and materials, was born in Meridian, Mississippi, January 7, 1876. His father, Louis C. Elson, now deceased, was a native of Bavaria but was brought to America by his parents during his infancy in 1840, the family settling originally in Boston, Massachusetts, where he was reared and educated. He removed to Memphis, Tennessee, prior to the Civil war and was there successfully engaged in general merchandising, conducting business in that city at the time it was captured by the Union forces. In the early '70s he removed to Mississippi where he continued until 1898 when he came to St. Louis, and here lived retired until his death, passing away in 1917 at the age of seventy-six years. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Caroline Teller, is a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and belongs to one of the old families of that city of German lineage. She survives her husband and makes her home in St. Louis.
H. J. Elson, the eldest of the family, was educated in the public schools of Meridian, Mississippi, and in the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, from which he was graduated in 1898. He was first made ensign in the United States navy and served off Santiago during the Spanish-American war and then in the Philippines during the insurrection and in Chinese waters during the Boxer Rebellion. In 1902 he resigned from the navy and became identified with the Walter A. Zelnicker Supply Company and has since been connected therewith in an official capacity. In 1910 he was made lieutenant commander and chief engineer of the Missouri Naval Reserve, now part of the United States Naval Reserve force with which he is still connected.
At St. Louis, on the 2d of November, 1903, Mr. Elson was married to Miss Ophelia S. Scharff, a daughter of Adolph and Jeanette (Myer) Scharff. Politically Mr. Elson maintains an independent course, voting for the man whom he regards as best qualified for the office which he seeks. Fraternally Mr. Elson is a Mason, having membership in Brotherhood Lodge, No. 986, A. F. & A. M., of Chicago, in Oriental Consistory of that city and Medinah Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He now belongs to the Missouri Athletic Association, to the Columbian, Westwood Country, and Engineers' Clubs of St. Louis. During the World war he was inspector of machinery for naval vessels which were being rebuilt on the Great Lakes, the principal one being the conversion of the steamship Eastland into a modern gunboat now named "Wilmette" and used by the United States Navy for reserve force work on the Lakes. He acted in that capacity during the entire period of America's connection with hostilities in France and served until the spring of 1919. He is ever loyal to any cause which he espouses, is faithful to every trust reposed in him and by reason of a social, genial nature has become quite popular in the different club organizations with which he is identified.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Danl Evans, vice president of the Danl Evans Construction Company, was born September 28, 1840, in Wales, and since 1873 has been a resident of St. Louis. His father, Richard R. Evans, was also a native of Wales and came to America on the 17th of October, 1864, settling at Johnstown, Pennsylvania, while later he resided in Racine, Wisconsin, and afterward went to Emporia, Kansas, where he was living at the time of his death which occurred in 1880 when he was fifty-seven years of age. He was a woolen manufacturer and was very successful in the conduct of his business affairs. He married Catherine Edwards who was also born in Wales and passed away in that country in 1860.
Danl Evans was the fourth son in a family of five sons and two daughters. He was educated in the city of Towyn, Wales, attended the British schools and before coming to the new world entered upon an apprenticeship to the carpenters trade in his native country, gaining comprehensive knowledge of the building business there. He arrived in St. Louis in the fall of 1873 and for two years followed his trade in the employ of others. He then began contracting on his own account, establishing business in a small way in connection with Richard R. Evans, a younger brother, under the firm name of Danl Evans & Brother. This association was continued for about five years and subsequently Danl Evans conducted the business alone until 1908 when it was incorporated. The Danl Evans Construction Company is today one of the oldest contracting and building firms of the city. They engage in general building operations including office and residence property and have long enjoyed an extensive patronage. Among the buildings which they constructed are the St. Paul church; Lindell & Spring avenue; the Y. M. C. A. on Grand avenue; the Jewish Hospital and St. Luke's Hospital.
On the 17th of October, 1883, Mr. Evans was married in St Louis to Miss Jennie Jones, a native of this city and a daughter of James J. and Martha Jones, both of whom are now deceased. Her father and mother were natives of Wales. Mr. and Mrs. Evans have become parents of three children: Daniel, deceased; Jennie M. B. and Mabel U The daughter Jennie is now the wife of Otto G. Stauffregen of St Louis. Mabel was recently married to George D. Duntze. Both daughters took a very active part in war work during the World war.
Politically Mr. Evans has been a republican since attaining the right of franchise and he belongs to Wilder Lodge, I. O. O. P.; Anchor Lodge, A. P. I A. M.; St. Louis Chapter, R. A. M. and St. Louis Commandery, K. T. His life has long been dominated by his religious faith and his membership is in the West Presbyterian church. He had but limited financial resources at his command when he came to the new world but he sought the opportunities here offered and in the line of advancement which opens up before determination and energy, he has proceeded to the goal of success.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


EWING, FAYETTE CLAY, trustee of university of the South, was born May 28, 1862, in La Fourche Parish, La. He was educated at the University of the South; attended the University of Mississippi; and in 1884 graduated from Jefferson medical college. He is a successful physician of St. Louis, Mo.; and makes a specialty of the ear, nose and throat. He has been laryngologist of the Missouri Baptist sanitarium; aorist of the Methodist Episcopal home of St. Louis; and is co-editor of The Laryngoscope. He is a fellow of the British rhinological, laryngological and ontological association. He is trustee of the University of the South; and resides in St. Louis, Mo.
[Source: Herringshaw's American Statesman and Public Official Yearbook: 1907-1908; By Thomas William Herringshaw; Publ. 1909; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.