Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" F "

Hon. Victor H. Falkenhainer is judge of the circuit court of St. Louis, in which city he was born July 4, 1868, and is a son of Henry Falkenhainer of Worms Hesse, Germany. Crossing the Atlantic in 1856 he came at once to St. Louis, where he resided until his death at the age of seventy-eight years. He served his adopted country as a member of the Missouri Light Artillery during the Civil war and was wounded at the battle of Wilson Creek. He afterward became a successful grocery merchant and was regarded as one of the substantial residents of St. Louis. In politics he was a stanch republican and in religious belief was a Protestant. He married Rosa E. Stupp, who was born in Cologne, Germany, and came to St. Louis in 1867 with her husband on their wedding tour, Mr. Falkenhainer having returned to Germany for his bride. They were married by the American Consul at Frankfort, Germany, and later had a second ceremony by a clergyman. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Falkenhainer were born eight children, four sons and four daughters. The mother is still living and makes her home in St. Louis.
Judge Falkenhainer, the oldest of the family, attended the public schools of St. Louis, and started out in the business world as a clerk in his father's store. He afterward entered the office of the city assessor and subsequently occupied a position in the office of the court of deeds. While employed in the latter connection he took up the study of law in the St. Louis Law School, which later became the law department of Washington University, and was graduated therefrom in 1902 with the. LL. B. degree. On the 1st of January, 1903, he entered upon private practice in which he continued successfully until 1906 when he was elected assistant prosecuting attorney and filled that office for four years. He was then elected Judge of the criminal court of correction, division No. 2, and served upon the bench for two years, after which he resumed the general practice of law and devoted his attentions to the interest of his clients until 1916 when he was elected circuit judge and has since remained upon the bench. His decisions are strictly fair and impartial and he is recognized as an able jurist who is capable of submerging all personal opinions or prejudice andfully sustains the dignity and the high purposes of judicial service.
On the 21st of June, 1894, Judge Falkenhainer was united in marriage to Miss Lulu Schirr, a native of St. Louis and a daughter of August Schirr. They have one son, August H. Falkenhainer, who was born May 18, 1895, and who became connected with the medical corps during the World war but did not go overseas.
Judge Falkenhainer is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Cosmos Lodge No. 282, A. F. & A. M.; St. Louis Chapter, No. 8, R. A. M; Hiram Council, No. 1, R. & S. M.; Ascalon Commandery No. 16, K. T.; and has also taken the Scottish Rite degrees and has been honored with the thirty-third degree and a member of the Mystic Shrine. He likewise belongs to the Loyal Order of Moose. He is a republican, very active in politics, and never falters in support of any cause which he espouses. His life has been characterized by a steadfast purpose and by high professional ideals. Since entering upon the work of the bar he has been most careful to conform his practice to advanced ethical standards of the profession and has long maintained a most creditable position as a representative of the bar of St. Louis.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Christy M. Farrar, attorney and counselor at law whose recognition of opportunity and employment of his native talents has brought him to a position of distinction as a representative of the St. Louis bar, was born October 31, 1880, at Higginsville, Missouri. His father, William C. Farrar, is a native of St. Louis and a representative of one of the old pioneer families of the city originally from Carter county, Virginia, and of English descent. The family was founded in the new world by Nicholas Farrar who came to America among the colonizers who established Jamestown, Virginia. The great-grandfather, Dr. Bernard G. Farrar, was the first representative of the name in Missouri. He arrived in St. Louis in 1803 and was the first American physician to settle in the city. He was also the first president of the first medical society of St Louis and he passed away during the cholera epidemic of 1849. William C. Farrar, father of Christy M. Farrar, is mentioned at length on another page of this work. He wedded Clara Jennings, a native of St. Louis and a granddaughter of James G. Jennings who was a prominent agriculturist and in whose honor Jennings Station was named. The family came originally from Virginia and is of English lineage. To Mr. and Mrs. William C. Farrar were born two children: Christy M., of this review; and a daughter, Katherine, at home.
Christy M. Farrar began his education in the public schools, passing through consecutive grades to the high school and afterward attending Washington University from which he was graduated in 1904 with the LL. B. degree. He was admitted to practice, however, in May, 1903, and with the exception of the years 1917 and 1918, while serving with the army, has been continuously in active and successful practice, concentrating his attention upon civil law. He is a member and secretary of the St. Louis Bar Association.
During the war period he went to the Second Officers' Training Camp where he remained from August, 1917, until sent overseas. He was with the army until April 1, 1919, and spent one year and two months in France. He served with the heavy artillery and fought in a number of engagements in France. He was commissioned a captain April 1, 1919, a fact indicative of his excellent military record. He is now commander of Richard Anderson Post of the American Legion of St. Louis. Since his return he has concentrated his efforts and attention largely upon the practice of law but is also one of the directors and the treasurer of the Farrar Pump & Machinery Company.
Mr. Farrar belongs to two Greek letter fraternities, the Phi Delta Theta and the Phi Delta Phi. He is a member of the Racquet Club and the City Club and also of St. John's Methodist church in which he is serving on the board of stewards. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he served as assistant circuit attorney in 1910 and 1911. He is now the secretary of the City Club and is active in all civic matters. He served as chairman of the speakers committee which was instrumental in promoting the completion of the free bridge. His aid and cooperation have been matters of moment in the adoption of many plans and projects for the general good and his relation to all interests of general welfare is that of .a public-spirited citizen.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Miss Kate FieldFIELD, Miss Kate, journalist, lecturer and author born in St. Louis, Mo., in 1840. She was a daughter of the late Joseph M. Field, the well-known actor and dramatist. She was educated in seminaries in Massachusetts, and her education was broad and liberal, including thorough culture in music. Alter finishing her studies in the Massachusetts schools, she went to Florence, Italy, where she studied music and the modern languages. While living in Europe she corresponded for the New York "Tribune," the Philadelphia "Press" and the Chicago "Tribune," and contributed sketches for various periodicals. She studied music with Garcia and William Shakespeare. She became known in Europe as a woman of great powers of intellect and remarkable versatility.  Among her acquaintances was George Eliot, who took a strong fancy to the sparkling American girl. Returning to the United States, Miss Field, in 1874, made her debut as an actor in Booth's Theater, New York City, where she won a fair success. Afterward she gave a variety song, dance and recitation. In 1882 and 1883 she was at the head of the Cooperative Dress Association in New York, which was abandoned for want of success. During the following years she lectured on Mormonism and Prohibition, as well as other current topics. In 1890 she went to Washington, D. C., where she founded her successful journal, "Kate Field's Washington." Her published works are "Planchette's Diary" (New York, 1868). "Adelaide Ristori" (1868), "Mad On Purpose," a comedy (1868), "Pen Photographs from Charles Dicken's Readings" (Boston. 1868), "Haphazard" (1873), "Ten Days in Spain" (1875), and a "History of Bell's Telephone" (London, 1878). She was the author of an analysis of George Eliot's character and works, of dramatic criticisms without number, of a life of Fetcher, and of numerous political and economical essays. She spent much time and effort to secure an art congress in Washington, for the advancement of free art, with a governmental commission of art and architecture, and a national loan exhibition of paintings by American artists exclusively.  Her widely regretted death occurred in Honolulu, Hawaii, 19th May, 1896, her remains being subsequently brought to this country and cremated.
(American Women, Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1 Copyright 1897.  Transcribed by Marla Snow.)


Oliver Dwight Filley, a man of the strictest integrity and probity of character, actuated at all times by marked devotion to duty during the most troublous period in the history of Missouri as well as in the days of calm and orderly progression, left the Impress of his individuality in unmistakable manner upon the annals of city and state. While he never sought to figure in public life, he was the associate and was recognized as the peer of many of the ablest of the prominent men of Missouri. His birth occurred at Wintonburg, now Bloomfield, Connecticut, May 23, 1806, and his ancestral record is traced back to the earliest settlement of New England. When many were fleeing from the mother country to seek religious liberty in the new world, William Filley aided in founding the town of Windsor, Connecticut, in 1683 and thus established the Filley family on American soil.
Oliver D. Filley was one of a family of six children, fivesons and a daughter, whose father, Oliver Filley, Sr., was a tinner by trade and in his establishment the son began learning the business at an early age. He also attended the district schools and early in life became a factor in the industrial activity of Bloomfield. On attaining his majority he removed to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and worked at his trade in the shop of his uncle, Harvey Filley. He afterward removed to Pittsburgh, where he was employed for a time at his trade and then returned to Bloomfield but after residing there for a brief period started for the middle west, with St. Louis as his destination. He was accompanied by his brother, M. L. Filley, and the two made the trip in 1829, at which time Oliver D. Filley was but twenty-three years of age. On reaching this city he entered the employ of a Mr. Mansfield, for whom he worked as a Journeyman tinner and about a year later purchased the business from his employer and for more than forty-three years was one of the prominent factors in the industrial life of St. Louis. In 1834 his brother, Giles F. Filley, entered the establishment as an apprentice and after completing his term of indenture was admitted to a partnership in the business—a relation that was maintained for four years and from the business conducted by the brothers there developed the extensive stove works that constituted one of the important business enterprises of St.  Louis, conducted by Mr. Filley up to the time of his retirement in 1873. In that year he sold his interests to Rodney D. Wells and put aside the more active cares of business life, having in the meantime through his capable management, unfaltering enterprise and sound Judgment acquired a handsome fortune. In no section of the country, especially in the west and northwest, was Mr. Filley unknown, his business relations extending to all pdrts of the United States, St. Louis being at that time the distributing point for the Mississippi valley and the great middle western country. His plans were always carefully formulated and promptly executed and his determined purpose and enterprising methods enabled him to overcome all the .difficulties and obstacles in his path and ultimately reach the point of substantial success.
While ever averse to holding public office, Mr. Filley was yet an active worker in the ranks of the Benton and Jackson democracy and was an intimate friend of both Thomas Benton and Andrew Jackson, the latter always making Mr. Filley's residence his headquarters on every visit to the city, while Benton upon his return from Washington to St. Louis always made it a point to call at Mr. Filley's office and extend to him his first greeting. The latter was also a close friend and supporter of General Frank P. Blair. He stood with Benton in the split which subsequently led to a split on the nomination of General Gass for the presidency as against Van Buren, Mr. Filley following the fortunes of the latter. For a time Mr. Filley was a director in the Bank of the State of Missouri and resolutely opposed the policy of recognizing and dealing in the doubtful currency that prevailed in the west prior to 1857. In 1858 he actively entered public life as mayor of St. Louis and his administration was characterized by various reforms and improvements. The free Boilers in that year made him their candidate for mayor, much against his wish, but he was persuaded to accept the nomination, as he was convinced by his friends that he was the only man upon whom all the discordant elements would unite and thus prevent the defeat of the party. He was elected after a hot contest by a handsome majority and served for two years. He gave his support to the Union during the troublous times following the declaration of war in 1861 but strongly opposed the military levies of money on all who were not considered loyal, believing this to be an act of injustice. Under his administration many improvements were made in St. Louis. The fire alarm telegraph system was installed and a paid fire department was established. At the inauguration of the war he was given the chairmanship of the committee of safety, serving with James O. Broadhead, Samuel T. Glover, John How and J. J. Witzig. Mr. Filley stood as a strong Blair man in the difficulties originating in the removal of John C Fremont from the command of the military district. His position was never an equivocal one. He stood loyally for what he believed to be right and a sense of justice and honor guided him in all things.
At Bloomfleld, Connecticut, in 1835, Mr. Filley was married to Miss Chloe Varina Brown and at his death left six children: Oliver; John D.; Mrs. Ellen Richards; Mrs. Maria J. Davis, the wife of John T. Davis; Mrs. Alice Moore; and Mrs. Jeanette Morton, the wife of Isaac Wyman Morton mentioned elsewhere in this work.
Mr. Filley passed away in St. Louis, August 21, 1881. He was a man of the strictest honor and integrity who could be trusted at any and all times to stand loyally by his beliefs and in support of the high principles which guided his life. He was liberal in his charity to those in need and gave generously where he believed assistance would be of real value. He made his life count for good at all times, on the side of progressive citizenship, of municipal reform and progress, of commercial and industrial development and also on the side of that broad humanitarianism which seeks to ameliorate the hard conditions of life for the unfortunate. He was one of the city's most honored and respected residents, a public benefactor and a noble representative of true manhood.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


WALTER E FISH- son of John and Eliza J Fish, was born at Greentop Missouri September 16, 1880. He was married February 24, 1909 to Isabelle Shoop, daughter of Reverend James H and Cassy Shoop. They have one child, Nell Vivian, born April 01, 1911. Mr. Fish left the farm in 1899 and came to Kirksville, entering the State Normal School. He attended a little less than four years. For one year he served as principal of a school in Bevier Missouri. While there he organized the Young Men's Christian Association, and was its first general secretary. In October 1905 he accepted the position of Membership Secretary and Boys' Work Director, of the south side Branch, Y.M.C.A., St. Louis, Missouri. In the spring of 1906 he came to Kirksville, entering the Real Estate business. The same year, the present firm Fish & Sons, was organized. In September 1907, he was appointed Pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church at Greentop, Missouri, the place of his birth and childhood. He was appointed in 1908 to the *Wyaconda, M.E. charge, in the Missouri Conference in Clark County {Mo}, which position he resigned May 02, 1910, in order to bring his wife to the Grim & Grim Hospital in Kirksville. At this time he resumed his place in the firm of Fish & Sons, and is at present abstracting and doing general office work. Mr. Fish is a Republican and a member of the M.W.A. lodge.
[Source: The History of Adair County Missouri by E.M. Violette, 1911. Submitted by Desiree Rodcay]


Dr. John A. Flury, who for eight years has engaged in the practice of medicine in St. Louis and for five years has been associated in professional work with Dr. F. L. Henderson, was born in Toledo, Ohio, September 13, 1886, and is a son of Joseph Flury, who was engaged in hotel keeping and In the real estate business in Toledo to the time of his death, which occurred in 1893. He was a Frenchman by birth and came to America in his boyhood days. He married Louise Neander, who is of French descent but was born on this side of the Atlantic. She is still living and yet makes her home in Toledo. In their family were four children who survive, while one son, Joseph, died at the age of thirty-three. The living are: Mrs. H. C. Scanell, the wife of C. H. Scanell, of Toledo, Ohio, who is associated with an electric construction company of that city; Leo E., who is also living in Toledo, where he is engaged in the automobile business; Fred, a farmer living near Toledo; and John A., of this review.
To the public school system of Ohio Dr. John A. Flury is indebted for the early educational advantages which he enjoyed. After coming to St. Louis as a young man he attended the St. Louis University and later the Washington University from which he was graduated in 1912 with the degree of M. D. He then took up the practice of medicine in St. Louis and for the past five years has been associated with Dr. F. L. Henderson. He has made steady professional progress, keeping in touch with the trend of modern thought and investigation regarding the treatment of disease, and is now a member of the American Medical Association and also of the Missouri State Medical Association and the St Louis Medical Society. He likewise belongs to the St. Louis Ophthalmic Society and in his practice has specialized in ophthalmology,
Dr. Flury was in the service during the World war, holding the rank of captain in the Medical Corps for fifteen months at Camp Lee, Virginia. Politically he is a republican but has never been an office seeker, preferring to concentrate his time and energies upon his professional and other interests. He belongs to the University Club and also to the Riverview Club of St. Louis and is well known and popular among the younger social set of the city. He also enjoys the high regard of his professional brethren, who recognize his close conformity to the highest ethical standards of medical and surgical practice. He has been a resident of St. Louis for twelve years and active in his profession for eight years and has attained great prominence.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


J. D. Perry Francis, associated with the brokerage firm of Francis Brother & Company of St. Louis, was born October 31, 1876, in Normandy, Missouri, and is a son of Governor and Mrs. David R. Francis, his father being at one time chief executive of the state and now ambassador to Russia. The son was educated in private schools and in Smith Academy of St. Louis, while later he went east to enter Yale and completed his university course with the class of 1897. Upon his return he became associated with the firm of Francis Brother & Company in the conduct of a banking and a brokerage business and has since been active in this field. He is thoroughly familiar with the value of all commercial paper and has developed a large clientage in handling brokerage interests. He is also a director in the Mississippi Valley Trust Company, in the Mortgage Trust Company, in the Scruggs, Vandervoort & Barney Dry Goods Company, in the Scullin Steel Company and numerous others of the more important corporations of St. Louis.
On the 31st of January, 1900, Mr. Francis was married in St. Louis to Miss Emelie De Mun Smith, daughter of Dr. E. F. and Isabelle (Chenie) Smith, both now deceased. She is also a sister of Dr. Elsworth Smith, one of the prominent citizens of St. Louis. Mr. and Mrs. Francis reside at No. 4510 Maryland avenue.
Mr. Francis has always given his political allegiance to the democratic party. When America was engaged in war with Germany he took 'most active part in promoting the Liberty loan drives and was also registrar in his precinct. Mr. Francis is well known in club circles, belonging to the Racquet, St. Louis, Log Cabin, St. Louis Country and Noonday Clubs and various other clubs and social organizations. He finds his recreation in golf and outdoor sports. He belongs to one of the most distinguished families of Missouri and while he has never Bought prominence in the political field he has demonstrated the strength of his character, his business adaptability and his progressive spirit in the conduct of his business affairs and in his cooperation with interests of marked value and worth to the city at large.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Simon FreundSimon Freund
The poet has written:
"How blessed is he who crowns in shades like these
A youth of labor with an age of ease.”

These words find fitting exposition in the life record of Simon Freund, whose intelligently directed business activity has brought him to a point of notable success, enabling him since 1902 to enjoy the comforts and luxuries of life without further recourse to business beyond the supervision which he gives to his invested interests. For more than four decades he was an active representative of the bakery trade in St. Louis, where he has made his home since 1849. He was brought to this city when but two years of age, his birth having occurred in Pilsen, Austria, April 30, 1847, his parents being Maurice and Yetta Freund. The father had learned and followed the bakery business in his native country but in 1849, attracted by the opportunities of the new world, he came with his family to the United States and crossed the continent to St. Louis. Here he continued in the same line of business which he had followed in his native land, opening a bakery at 917 Soulard street. While his establishment was at first small because of his limited capital he built up a large and prosperous business in the course of years. This business was at length turned over to his sons when in 1872 the father was called to his final rest. For ten years he had survived his wife, whose death occurred in 1862.
In early boyhood Simon Freund, whose name introduces this record, became a pupil in the public schools of St. Louis and thus continued his education until it became necessary to take his place as an active assistant of his father in the bakery. He thoroughly learned every phase of the business so that he was ever able to direct carefully the labors of the men in his employ. For many years, however, his own activity was concentrated upon the administration and executive management of the business and he made the notable record of never being absent from his office for a single day in forty-three years. Following the death of his father in 1872 the business was incorporated under the name of the Freund Brothers Bread Company and was carried on under that style until they sold out to the trust at a profitable figure, at which time Simon Freund retired from business life to enjoy in well earned rest the fruits of his former toil. An analyzation of his record shows that his prosperity is the direct outcome of indefatigable effort, wisely directed, and unfaltering enterprise combined with the strictest business integrity.
On the 25th of February, 1872, Simon Freund was united in marriage to Miss Pauline Schwartz and they became the parents of ten children, namely: Mrs. Martha Mang; Samuel; Louis S., who wedded Miss Helen Weill; Albert B., who married Miss Stella Mayer; Charles J., whose wife was formerly Miss Hulda Arenson; Mrs. Jennie Gutfreund; Mrs. Augusta Littman; Walter L.; Eleanor; and Florence, now the wife of Dr. Julius A. Rossen of St. Louis. There are also sixteen grandchildren. The family home is a most attractive residence at No. 3011 Longfellow boulevard and hospitality and good cheer constitute most pleasing features of this household. Mr. Freund has always shown great appreciation for the best in literature and is the possessor of a fine library of the old classics as well as the modern literature. A contemporary writer has said: "Mr. Freund takes a great interest in everything which pertains to the higher development of men and is a broad-minded, cultured gentle* man who has reason to be ranked as connoisseur in art, his home containing some beautiful paintings which are the works of noted artists of the old world. He is also fond of dogs and horses and those which hb keeps are of the highest breed. His kennels and stables are attractive to all who love these two most intelligent of all the animals." Mr. Freund gives his political support to the republican party and has ever been a stanch advocate of its principles. He holds to the religious faith of his forefathers, is a member of the Liederkrans Club and the B'nai El Society. He is also well known in Masonic circles and has the distinction not only of being a thirty-second degree Mason but of having five sons who have taken the consistory degrees, and all are most loyal and exemplary representatives of the teachings and purposes of the craft, which recognizes the brotherhood of man and the obligations thereby imposed. Mr. Freund is now nearing the seventy-fourth milestone on life's Journey and his record throughout the entire period of his residence in St. Louis—and this covers practically his entire life—has been such as to win for him the confidence, regard, respect and honor of his fellowmen.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.