Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" G "

Roy Carl Gans, civil engineer, connected with the Department of Streets and Sewers of St. Louis was born in Ashland, Boone county, Missouri, September 29, 1877. His father, George Ache Gans, was born, near Uniontown, Pennsylvania, March 8, 1845 and came with his parents to Missouri from Fayette county, Pennsylvania in 1868 settling near Columbia, Boone county. In later years he resided in Columbia where his death occurred January 7, 1919. His wife, Laura Loraine (Russell) Gans, was born near Ashland, Boone county, May 19, 1866, her grandparents being among the early settlers of that county. Mrs. Gans now makes her home in Parsons, Kansas. She was married in 1872 and became the mother of two sons and tour daughters, Walter Russell, Roy C, Nora J., G. Loraine, Ruth E. and Alma M.
Roy Carl Gans, the second of the family, was educated in the public schools of Ashland and Nevada, Missouri, and in the State University at Columbia from which he was graduated in 1901 with the degree of Bachelor of Science in civil engineering. He has been engaged in the practice of his profession in various branches since his graduation and has been in the employ of the city of St. Louis since 1910. He has steadily advanced through various positions in the engineering department until promoted in 1918 to the position of Senior Civil Engineer, Department of Streets and Sewers, which he now holds.
On the 22nd of August, 1902, at Coffeyville, Kansas, Mr. Gans was married to Cosette Aleen Davidson, daughter of Marshall and Mary Davidson of Nevada, Missouri, who came to Vernon county this state in 1880 from Woodford county, Illinois. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Gans are E. Maurine and George M.
Mr. Gans is a member of the Church of Christ, the outgrowth of the reformation movement that was begun about 1809 by Alexander Campbell and others at Washington, Pennsylvania, near the home of Mr. Gans' ancestors.
He gives his political support to the republican party and fraternally is connected with the Tau Beta Pi. He is a Mason belonging to Itaska Lodge, No. 420, A. F. & A. M., and is a member of the American Association of Engineers. During the World war Mr. Gans was active in the promotion of Liberty Loan and Red Cross drives.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Herbert S. Gardner, president of the Gardner Advertising Company of St. Louis, was born December 22, 1872, in Warsaw, Missouri, his parents being Nicholas S. and Susan Frances Gardner. The father was a merchant of Warsaw, Missouri, at one time and afterward lived at Appleton City, Missouri, where he continued in business for a. number of years. In 1887 he came to St. Louis and was associated with the Brown Dougherty Company, in the wholesale dry goods business. In later years he retired and passed away in 1891. For several years he was a member of the state guard of Missouri. His wife was the daughter of John M. Holmes of St. Louis, who died when Mrs. Gardner was but a small child, and she afterward made her home with her uncle, Charles Holmes, who was a well known citizen of St. Louis, where he engaged in business as a cracker manufacturer and dealer. Mrs. Gardner survives her husband and yet resides in St. Louis.
Herbert S. Gardner, of this review, was educated in the public schools of St. Louis and at the old Polytechnic school, then located at Seventh and Chestnut streets. He afterward worked in the public library under Frederick Crunden, who was librarian for a number of years. In November, 1888, he entered the employ of the Frisco Railway Company, in the accounting department, doing clerical work and thus continuing until January, 1894, when he accepted a position in the general passenger department of the Cotton Belt Railroad in St. Louis. There he continued until October, 1902, and during that time was chief rate clerk for the road. Subsequently he was appointed advertising agent of the company. On the 1st of October, 1902, he went to the H. E. Lesan Advertising Company of St. Louis, as office manager, and in 1903 was promoted to the position of secretary of the company. In 1904 he was elected to the vice presidency. In 1907 the Lesan Company and the Gould Directory Company consolidated and Mr. Gardner became vice president of the new corporation, but in July,  1908, the Lesan-Gould Company disorganized and the business was reorganized into separate units. Out of one of these Mr. Gardner developed the present Gardner Advertising Company, of which he has since been the president and executive head. In 1911 he organized the Trimplex Sales Company and was also chosen president of the new corporation. In 1914 he still president. In these various business connections he has displayed marked enterprise, capable management and keen discernment, leading to the attainment became the organizer of the Wizard Lightfoot Appliance Company, of which he is of substantial success.
In January, 1918, Mr. Gardner was appointed director of publicity for the eighth federal reserve district in charge of the Liberty Loan publicity, and so continued without compensation through the third, fourth and fifth Liberty Loans. Under his management in these three loans, the eighth district was the first to reach its quota, resulting in nation-wide publicity for St. Louis. In 1919, as a result of his achievement, Mr. Gardner was presented with the Wilkinson cup, which was offered to that member of the Advertising Club of St. Louis who did the most for the city, state and nation in advertising during the preceding twelve months. In 1920 he was elected honorary secretary of the American Association of Advertising Agents. During the progress of the World war he was also director of publicity for the Y. M. C. A., Red Cross and the United War Work drives in Missouri. Aside from his business affairs already mentioned, he is one of the directors of the American Trust Company.
On the 8th of April, 1896, Mr. Gardner was married to Miss Mary Platt Read, a daughter of Edward M. Read, a retired piano' dealer and well known citizen of St. Louis. Mr. and Mrs. Gardner have three sons: Edward Read; Herbert S. and Charles H. The son Edward was graduated from Princeton University in 1919 and is now associated with his father in business, while the younger sons are now in school. Mr. and Mrs. Gardner occupy a beautiful home at No. 13 Kingsbury Place.
Mr. Gardner has been a resident of St. Louis since 1887, or for a period of more than a third of a century, and has kept pace with the city's growth in every particular, in fact he has contributed in no small measure to public progress and improvement. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and cooperates in all of its plans and projects for the city's upbuilding and for the promotion of civic interests. He is likewise a member of the Salesmanship Club of St. Louis. He belongs to the Pilgrim Congregational Church and is a member of the state executive board of the Missouri Sunday School Association. He is likewise a well known figure in social circles, belonging to the Noonday Club, the Missouri Athletic Club, the City Club, the Bellerive Country Club and the Advertising Club of St. Louis. He has never been a negative quantity in any relation. His positive nature, his laudable ambition, his determination and his energy have brought him prominently to the front and he has accomplished what he has undertaken, while at all times his efforts and labors have been of a character that have contributed not only to individual success and advancement but also to the public good. He today occupies a central place on the stage of activities in St. Louis.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


James A. Garvey is the manager in St. Louis for the Elliott-Fisher Company, handling billing machines. He had formerly been identified with the business before being sent to St. Louis and his splendid salesmanship and executive ability have enabled him wisely to direct the activities of the company in this city and to build up for the firm an extensive and gratifying business. Mr. Garvey was born in Cleveland, Ohio, November 10, 1887. His father, Michael Garvey, came to America from Ireland at the age of eighteen years. He wedded Mary Maher, daughter of James and Mary Maher, who owned a large farm near Avon, New York.
James A. Garvey obtained a Common school education by attending St. Augustine's school in Cleveland, Ohio, and later became a student in -St, Ignatius' College of that city. He there had the distinction of taking a two years course in one year and finishing first in the class at the end of the year. The following year he returned to college after the Christmas holidays and repeated the performance, although he was awarded fourth place on account of the faculty rule that a student was compelled to be in attendance throughout the full school year in order to gain one of the first three places.
When his textbooks were put aside Mr. Garvey worked in an insurance office in Cleveland, where an Elliott-Fisher machine was used for writing policies. He saw the possibilities of a fiat-bed machine for accounting. He afterward secured a position with the Champion Rivet Company as bill clerk but three years later left that firm to engage in the machine shop business. He soon sold out, however, and entered the employ of the Elliott-Fisher Company, for he had never forgotten his impression as to the effectiveness and value of their accounting machines. It was largely due to his efforts in Cleveland and Akron in educating business men in the possibilities o£ mechanical accounting that so many up-to-date firms now do not use pen and ink on any of their accounting work, which is all done by machinery. Some of the largest rubber and tire companies in the country are still using accounting methods installed by Mr. Garvey eight years ago. He has devoted the past ten years almost entirely to educating the business public to better methods of accounting, and was sent to St. Louis in 1916 because the city at that time was far behind the rest of the country in mechanical accounting. Here he Is rapidly developing a business of substantial proportions. He has been very successful in proving to the business men of the city the value of the machines which he handles and the trade which he has built up is now most gratifying.
On the 30th of November, 1911, Mr. Garvey was married to Miss Louise Hoeffler, a daughter of John Hoeffler, a cigar manufacturer of Cleveland, and they have become parents of two daughters, Mary Louise and Betty Ellen. The religious faith of the family is indicated in the fact that they are communicants of St. Margaret's Catholic church of St. Louis, and fraternally Mr. Garvey is connected with the Knights of Columbus. He belongs to the Chamber of Commerce, also to the St. Louis Credit Men's Association and to the Kiwanis Club. His political allegiance is given to the republican party where national questions and issues are involved, but in local elections he casts an independent ballot, nor has he ever been ambitious to hold public office, preferring always to concentrate his efforts and attention upon his business affairs. He is a good salesman, possessing an analytical mind, and his associates speak highly as to his character and ability, an opinion in which the public concur.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


William Franklin Gephart, banker, educator and author, who is now vice president of the First National Bank in St. Louis, was born at Williamsport, Ohio, August 7, 1878, a son of George Wesley and Nancy (Busic) Gephart. The father was born in Circleville, Ohio, and is now a retired farmer. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and has always been active in civic affairs. During the Civil war he served for three and a half years with the Union army and was wounded in the battle of Gettysburg. He still makes his home at Williamsport, .Ohio, where he is enjoying well earned rest after many years of activity in the development and cultivation of farm land. He married Nancy Busic, of Circleville, Ohio, a daughter of William Busic, a pioneer of that state from Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Gephart are the parents of five children: Charles W., living at Delaware, Ohio; Edward E., also of Delaware, Ohio; Thomas B., of Williamsport, Ohio; George C; and William Franklin.
The last named was educated in the Ohio State University from which he was graduated in 1900, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and .in Columbia University of New York, in which he won his Doctor of Philosophy degree in 1903. He has devoted much of his life to educational work. In 1905 he became professor of economics in the Ohio State University, there continuing until 1913, when he became professor and head of the department of economics of the School of Commerce and Finance of Washington University of St. Louis, of which he was made dean in 1916. He has become recognized throughout the country as an authority upon question of commerce and finance and has written largely for publication. He has been a contributor to European economic and financial journals as well as those published in this country and he is the author of works entitled: Transportation and Industrial Development in the Middle West, published in 1905; Principles of Insurance, published in 1910; Insurance and the State, issued in 1913; and Principles of Life and Fire Insurance, published in two volumes in 1917. With the organization of the First National Bank in St. Louis, as a result of a merger of the Mechanics American National Bank, the St. Louis Union Bank and the Fourth National Bank, he was elected to the vice presidency and so continues. He is a man of exceptional working ability. Heworks at high pressure without conscious strain and has great powers of concentration. Week in and week out he makes a large score of hours and the results are of a most tangible and effective character. His success in high degree is based upon that quality which is termed common sense. His advice has been sought on several occasions when he has been summoned to New York for consultation on insurance and labor problems.
On the 2d of July, 1900, Mr. Gephart was married to Miss Theodosia Walston, of Williamsport, Ohio. He is not unmindful of the social amenities of life and in fact displays keen appreciation of warm friendship. He belongs to the Phi Beta Kappa and to the Masonic fraternity, is also a member of the Noonday, University, Round Table, Ridgedale Country and City Clubs. He turns to golf for recreation and diversion, but all these are incidental phases of an active life. His greatest public service thus far perhaps was the organization and management of food control in St. Louis during the war, his work in this connection being so effective as to secure many favorable comments not only through the city but throughout the country, and his advice was many times sought in Washington. He never withholds his aid from matters of public interest, particularly where the betterment of social conditions is involved. He is an interesting speaker and his public addresses are characterized by directness, clearness and force. He seldom uses figures of speech, depending chiefly upon statement of facts and logical arrangement of thought.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Gerne, Alfred
A jeweler of St. Louis prominent in the trade is Alfred Gerne, whose birth occurred at Lebanon, Illinois, on the tenth of October, 1870. Conrad Gerne, his father, was a German butcher who emigrated to the United States as a youth and established a business in Lebanon, Illinois. Christina (Dolie) Gerne, his mother, likewise of German parentage and birth, also grew up in Lebanon. Their family consisted of four girls and four boys of whom Alfred was second from the youngest.
Educated in the public schools of Lebanon, Illinois, Alfred Gerne began to learn the watchmaker's trade when he was fourteen years of age and has continued in the jewelry business since that time. He came to St. Louis in 1898 and established the A. Gerne Jewelry Company of which he is the president.
Mr. Gerne is a republican partisan. His only fraternal affiliation is with the Knights of Pythias in which he has uniform rank. He is a member of the North St. Louis Turnverein. Mr. Gerne is unmarried and maintains a home for his sisters.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Charles E. Goltermann, proprietor of the business conducted under the name of the Goltermann Printing & Stationery Company of St. Louis, was born on the 4th of July, 1873, in the city which is still his home, his father being Charles T. Goltermann, a native of Hanover, Germany, who came to America about the time of the close of the Civil war, settling in St, Charles, Missouri, where he followed agricultural pursuits. After a short time, however, he removed to St. Louis where has since resided. He married Emma Hock, who was born in Baltimore, Maryland, of German lineage, and they became the parents of four sons and three daughters.
Charles E. Goltermann, the eldest of the family was educated in the public schools of St. Louis and in the Perkins & Herpel Mercantile College. He also attended the St. Louis University for the study of law and at the age of sixteen years took up the study of pharmacy in connection with a wholesale manufacturing business and as active along pharmaceutical lines for ten years. At the age of twenty-six he entered the printing business and was employed by the August Gast Printing Company and also by the firm of Buxton ft Skinner of St. Louis, being connected with both of these firms in an executive capacity. In 1911 he established .his present business in a small way and has since developed a large and growing enterprise, conducting a general printing, engraving and stationery business, which does high grade commercial and book work.
On the 1st of October, 1901, Mr. Goltermann was married to Alma Mier, a native of St Louis and a daughter of August and Elizabeth (Schaefer) Mier. They became parents of three children: Elizabeth, Born October 5, 1903, in St. Louis; Carl August, born January 2, 1908; and Katherine, born July 20, 1909.
During the World war Mr. Goltermann served on the legal advisory board of the twelfth district and was active in support of various war interests. Politically he is a republican and for the past twenty-six years has been a member of the Royal Arcanum, while of Good Hope Lodge, A. F. ft A. M., he is likewise a representative. He also belongs to the City Club and is a very active Y. M. C. A. worker. He is also a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Automobile Club and the Ben Franklin Club, the latter an organization of printers, of which he has served as vice president. His interests are by no means confined to the advancement of his own fortunes for he cooperates in many plans and measures that have to do with the progress and prosperity of the city and the advancement of civil standards. For five years he was president of the Carondelet Improvement Association and is still a member.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


William Henry GrabeWilliam Henry Grabe, secretary and treasurer of the Glancy-Watson Hotel Company, proprietors of the Marquette Hotel at St. Louis, was born January 12, 1862, in Enger, Germany. His father, Henry Grabe, was also a* native of that place and came to St. Louis with his family in May, 1864. Loyal to his adopted land he promptly enlisted in the Union army, but too late to see active service. He became a stock raiser and farmer, a pursuit which his father had previously followed, and in fact the family had for many generations given their attention to agricultural pursuits near Enger. The death of Henry Grabe occurred in 1891, after a residence of more than a quarter of a century in Missouri. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Katherine Niehaus, was also born in Enger, Germany, and passed away in 1884. Her father, as well as her brother William Niehaus, was a cabinetmaker, doing the finest and most artistic work of that character, both father and son ranking as experts in the business.
William Henry Grabe attained his early education In St. Louis, having been brought to this city by his parents when but two years of age. He also received instructions from his father who was a man of scholarly attainment, and he likewise attended the Clinton and Peabody public schools. When a youth of fourteen he started out upon his business career and was first employed as a cash boy In the dry goods store of Jacob Lowenstein, at the old French market. Later he entered the employ of a clothing merchant in the same block and when he was a youth of sixteen he became general office and laboratory assistant to Dr. J. H. McLean, in the manufacture of proprietary medicines. He became familiar with all the details of this business both in the chemical combinations and in the financial management, and afterward went upon the road as traveling salesman covering the states of Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and forty-eight of the eighty-eight counties in Ohio. On attaining his majority he left the service of Dr. McLean and turned his attention to the accounting business in St. Louis, and afterward was with the Home Brewing Company for five years as cashier and notary. He next became connected with the famous restaurant of Tony Faust, and until 1907 had general charge of the financial and office department of that business. In 1907 the Glancy & Watson Hotel Company engaged him to open its books and Institute its accounting system. He performed the work so capably that he was offered a permanent position which he .accepted. In 1910 he was elected secretary of the company and in 1911 was also elected to the treasurership and is now serving in the dual position. In the meantime, from 1914 until 1918, he attended the Benton College of Law from which he was graduated in the latter year with the degree of LL. B., and his knowledge of law has been of marked benefit to him in his business affairs. He passed the state bar examination in June, 1918, and was admitted to practice in July of that year but has not engaged actively in general practice. However, his opinions are much sought in consultations and his legal attainments are of great value to the company which is now enjoying a high degree of prosperity.
The Marquette Hotel, which was built and is owned by his company, was completed in 1907 and contains four hundred rooms, elegant in their equipment. No hotel has been more successful in the United States for every effort has been put forth to please the patrons and supply them with all comforts. His associate, T. H. Glancy, has the management of the hotel and has spent his entire life in this line of business, working his way up from the position of bell boy until he is not only prominent as the owner of a fine hotel but has also been honored with the presidency of the Hotel Men's Association.
On the 14th of October, 1892, Mr. Grabe was married to Miss Anna Katherine Herzog, a daughter of Adam Herzog, who for many years was the owner of a country resort on Gravois Road, which was much patronized in those days by Ulysses S. Grant, afterwards president of the United States. Following her father's death her mother married John Stumborg, a well known political leader, whose warm friendship with General Grant continued throughout their lives.
Mr. Grabe in his younger years was a great boxer, a famous skater and an expert ball player and still keeps up his interest in these and other clean and manly out door Interests and sports. He is a lover of music and of good books, and finds much recreation in gardening and cultivation of flowers. He is noted for the vegetables and garden products which he raises and he is justly proud of his achievements in this line. He is also a lover of thoroughbred dogs and is the owner of Ted, a snow white bull terrier of the finest breed. He belongs to the St. Louis Bar Association and also to the Chamber of Commerce and his political allegiance is given to the democratic party. For many years he was a member of the Presbyterian church, but he and his wife are now strongly inclined to the Christum Science church. Starting out to earn his own living when a lad of fourteen years he has steadily worked his way upward and by the wise utilization of his time and opportunities he has become one of the leading hotel men of St. Louis, as his labors have been crowned with gratifying success. Mr. Grabe's motto through life has been, "The man who is loyal to his employer, works hard and saves a portion of his earnings, is seldom in want or out of a job.'
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Mrs. Julia Dent GrantGRANT, Mrs. Julia Dent, wife of General Ulysses S. Grant, the eighteenth President of the United States, born in St. Louis, Mo., 26th January, 1826. She is a daughter of Frederick and Ellen Wrenshall Dent. Her grandfather, Capt. George Dent, led the forlorn hope in Fort Montgomery, when it was stormed by Mad Anthony Wayne. On her mother's side she is descended from John Wrenshall, an English Puritan who settled in Philadelphia, Pa. She began to attend Miss Moreau's boarding-school in 1836, and she remained in that school until 1844. Returning home in that year, she met Lieutenant U. S. Grant, then stationed in Jefferson Barracks, in St. Louis. She became his wife 22nd August, 1848. They lived in Detroit, Mich., until 1852. and then went to Sackett's Harbor, N. Y., where Captain Grant was stationed. When Captain Grant was ordered to California, Mrs. Grant returned to St. Louis, her health not being strong enough to endure so great a change of climate. During the Civil War she remained much of the time near her husband. She was with him in City Point in the winter of 1864 and 1865, and she accompanied him to Washington when he returned with his victorious army. She for eight years filled the arduous position of mistress of the White House in a most charming manner. Her regime was marked by dignity, simplicity and home-like ways that endeared her to all who came into contact with her. She accompanied her husband around the earth.  After General Grant’s death, Congress voted her a pension of $5,000 a year.  Her family consists of three children, Frederick Dent Grant, Ulysses S. Grant, jr., and Mrs. Nellie Sartoris. She now lives in New York City, occupied much of the time with literary labors.
(Source: American Women by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow)


General Ulysses S. Grant was born at Point Pleasant, Ohio, April 27, 1822. His early opportunities for acquiring an education were limited, having the benefit only of a school during the winter months, the summer being devoted to labor on a farm or in his father's tannery.
He early evinced a particular fondness for mathematics, and, at the age of seventeen, received the appointment of cadet in the military academy at West Point, where he graduated in 1843, and entered the United States army as a Brevet Second Lieutenant of Infantry. He served in the Mexican War as Second Lieutenant and Regimental Quartermaster of the Fourth Infantry, and, for gallant conduct at Molina del Rey and Chapultepec, he was breveted First Lieutenant, and, in 1853, was promoted to full Captaincy.
On the 31st of July, 1854, he resigned his commission in the army, took up his residence near St. Louis, Mo., and engaged in farming for four years, when, finding it unprofitable, he removed to Galena, 111., and entered into the leather business with his brother, in which he continued until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when, remembering what he owed his country, he said to a friend: " The Government has educated me for the army; what I am, I owe to my country; I have served her through one war, and, live or die, I will serve her through this."
He offered his services to Governor Yates, who appointed him Asst. Adjt. General of the State; but, desiring active service, he was appointed Colonel of the Twenty-First Illinois Volunteers, June 15, 1861, and, August 7, was commissioned Brigadier-General, with rank from May 17, 1861, and took command of Southeast Missouri, with headquarters at Cairo. He occupied Paducah on the 6th of September, and fought the Confederates at Belmont on the 7th of November.
He commanded at the capture of Fort Henry, on the Tennessee River, February 6, 18(52; then marching across the country to the Cumberland, he invested Fort Donaldson on the 12th, in conjunction with Admiral Foote, with the gunboats, commenced the attack on the 13th, and, on the 16th, received an "unconditional surrender" from General Buckner. For this victory he was maae Major-General. After the capture of Nashville, and fighting the severe battle of Shiloh, April 6, 1862, he was appointed to command of the Department of Tennessee, with headquarters at Jackson, Miss. Early in January, 1863, General Grant assumed the principal direction of the land forces before Vicksburg, and, after gaining the victories of Grand Gulf, Port Gibson, Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hills, and Big Black River Bridge, invested that city, which he captured July 4, 1S63. For this victory he was made Major-General in the Regular Army. In October, 1863, he was directed to assume command of the troops at Chattanooga, and, on the 24th and 25th, gained an important victory over General Bragg, which secured him a permanent base of operations at that point.
In March, 1864, he was appointed Lieutenant-General, with command of all the armies of the Union, and, May 4, commenced his campaign against Richmond. Having marked out his course, he "fought it out on that line," until victory crowned his efforts, and Lee surrendered at Appomattox, April 9, 1865. He seems to have planned all his campaigns so as to insure success, and the territory he conquered ever after remained in the possession of the Federal arms.
In May, 1868, he received the unanimous nomination for President of the United States by the Republican party, and was elected. Nov. 3, 1868.
(Source: Biographies of 250 Distinguished National Men by Horatio Bateman. Published 1871)

GENERAL ULYSSES S. GRANT was born in Clermont county, Ohio, in 1822, entered West Point in 1839, and graduated in 1848. He became brevet second lieutenant, served during the Mexican war, under General Taylor, and under General Scott on the march from Vera Cruz to the city of Mexico. During the .war he received two promotions for meritorious services. He was appointed a regimental quartermaster, and was promoted to the rank of captain in the Fourth regular infantry, in 1854. Retiring from the service, he removed to St. Louis county, Missouri, and finally to Galena, where he carried on the business of a tanner. On the outbreak of the war, his tender of services was accepted by Governor Yates, and he was appointed colonel of the Twenty-first regiment of Illinois volunteers. He was soon after made a brigadier-general, and was engaged actively in the earlier battles in Missouri. His occupation of Paducah, and gallantry in the battle of Belmont, procured for him the rank of a major-general. His renown was increased by the capture of Forts Henry and Donelson, and that of Vicksburg raised his reputation to a very high degree. His career, during his command of the Department of the Mississippi, was a series of glorious triumphs; and when he was put in command of all the armies of the United States, with the title of lieutenant-general, he nobly struggled with difficulties almost insurmountable, and with a heroism, a pertinacity, and a success, which place him among the greatest conquerors the world has ever seen. He now received the title of full general, and deservedly is held in the highest degree of estimation by his countrymen, of all classes, as a hero and a patriot. His fellow citizens frequently testified their appreciation of his distinguished services in a most substantial manner.
(Source: A Complete History of the Great Rebellion of the Civil War in the U.S. 1861-1865 with Biographical sketches of the Principal actors in the Great Drama. By Dr. James Moore, Published 1875)


John H. GundlachGundlach, John H.
The business career of John H. Gundlach has been marked by steady advancement, resulting from the wise ultilization of his time, talents and opportunities. Since 1892 he had been connected with real estate interests in St. Louis and has developed a business of extensive and gratifying proportions in connection with the handling of residence property. Mr. Gundlach was born in St. Louis county, October 6, 1861, and is a son of Peter and Elizabeth (Reiff) Gundlach. The father was born in Germany in 1834 and, came to the new world in 1849, settling in St. Louis, where he engaged in the manufacture and sale of shoes. He also served in the Civil war and was a member of the municipal assembly for twelve years.
John H. Gundlach pursued his education in the public schools of St. Louis, where he was a high school pupil in 1876 and 1877. He started upon his business career as an employe of Boehl & Koenig, photographers, with whom he continued for three years. He then went to Chicago, Illinois, where he engaged in the wholesale tobacco and cigar business for about eighteen months, on the expiration of which period he returned to St. Louis and became chief clerk in the local freight office of the Wabash Railroad, with which he continued until 1892. 'Desirous of engaging in business on his own account, he then entered the real estate field, in which he has met with notable success, being regarded as one of the leaders in this line in St. Louis at the present time. He was at one time on the board of the Real Estate Exchange of the city. He has largely specialized in the handling of residence property and close application and undaunted energy have been potent factors in the continued growth of his business.
In April, 1884, Mr. Gundlach was united in marriage to Miss Emma C. Dreyer, of this city, whose father was one of the early furniture dealers in the City Store on Market street. They now have two daughters: Alice, the wife of Arthur Leschen, who is superintendent of the Leschen Rope Company; and Ruth, now the wife of Armin Haihpeter.
Mr. Gundlach has long been keenly interested in civic problems and municipal affairs and from 1909 until 1913 inclusive was president of the city council; during, which time he initiated a number of physical improvements looking to the city's betterment and also inspired the ordinance creating a city plan commission. He holds to high ideals in regard to interests affecting the welfare and upbuilding of the city and in 1914 he was president of the St. Louis Pageant-Masque, which presented the most splendid community pageant that has ever been produced. The same organization also produced the remarkable performance of "As You Like It" on the occasion of the Shakespearean tercentenary in Forest Park in June, 1916, at which time the Municipal Theatre was constructed with funds furnished by the Pageant Association. Mr. Gundlach has served for two terms as president of the Civic League, which has been so potential a force in the progressive development of the city's recent history.
He is serving on the board of the Historic Society and during the period of the World war was chairman of the war camp community service. He is also a member of the board of the Masonic Home and is a past president of the North End St. Louis Business Men's Association. His political allegiance has always been given to the republican party where national questions and issues are involved, but at local elections he casts an independent ballot. Fraternally he has become a Knight Templar and thirty-second degree Mason and member of the Mystic Shrine and belongs to the City Club of St. Louis and the Sunset Hill Country Club. His worth is widely acknowledged. Because of his public spirit he is a recognized leader among men who are interested in the welfare and progress of the city without desire for personal aggrandizement. His judgment is sound and when he addresses the public upon a subject in which he is deeply interested, he displays considerable oratorical ability. His religious activities have been chiefly confined to T. M. C. A. work and his philanthropic spirit has found expression in his aid of individual needs. His has ever been a nature that is not content to choose the second best. He strives ever toward the highest and his idealism has been an inspiring force in the efforts of others.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.