Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" H "

Charles Francis HaanelCharles Francis Haanel, writer on philosophical subjects, was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, May 22, 1866, a son of Hugo P. and Emeline C. (Fox) Haanel, who removed with him to St. Louis when he was in early childhood. He attended the high school of this city and started upon his business career as a clerk with the St Louis Stamping Company, for which he worked for a period of fifteen years. At that time the vicinity of Tehuantepec, Mexico, was reputed as being especially adapted to the growth of sugar and coffee. He succeeded in convincing a number of capitalists of the feasibility of taking up land in that section of the country and working a plantation. The land was purchased and the company organized to engage in the raising of sugar and coffee. Of this company he was made president. The plantation was successful from the beginning and soon became an enterprise of considerable financial worth. This was organised in 1898 and in 1906 Mr. Haanel organized the Continental Commercial Company, which was consolidated with the other company and also absorbed six additional companies. It operated under the name of the Continental Commercial Company, with Mr. Haanel as president but since the continued unrest in Mexico, like all other organizations there, has been inactive and will remain so until a stable government is put in power. Mr. Haanel has by no means confined his efforts to these lines, however, but has extended his labors to other enterprises with which he is associated in a prominent capacity. He was one of the organizers of the Sacramento Valley Improvement Company and for some time its president. He -was- likewise president of the Mexico Gold 6 Silver Mining Company, a company of some importance in developing the rich mineral resources of the southern republic.
Mr. Haanel is now devoting his time largely to scientific and philosophical writing and is the founder of The Master Key System of Philosophy. His researches and investigations have been carried on broadly and he has evolved from the experiences of the activities of the ages the system of philosophy which he terms The Master Key, looking at life with broad vision and high purpose. He has in his possession many most interesting letters bearing testimony to the worth of his system of philosophy as a factor toward happiness, success and contentment in life. One writing to him, after losing two hundred thousand dollars as the result of heavy real estate investments, said: "I felt that nothing could make life worth living again; was filled with regrets, remorse, fear, and everything but joy, courage and hope. To make a long story short, after reading, studying and appropriating the practical, self-evident statements and logical, scientific plan of life as set forth in The Master Key, everything is changed and I have recovered my health completely, my courage as well, and I am again on the road to financial independence with the great Joy in sight of repaying every obligation, or I should say, of paying them. The scientific facts as set forth are real, the logic is perfect It is as good as, yes, better in some respects than a college course so far as education is concerned, aside from giving the absolute knowledge which makes health and true happiness possible." Many letters of similar purport, with changes only as to detail, environment and condition, has Mr. Haanel received and today The Master Key System has thousands of students in every country on the globe.
In 1885 Mr. Haanel was united in marriage to Miss Esther M. Smith. Sixteen years later he was left a widower with (me son and two daughters, and in July, 1908, he was married to Miss Margaret Nicholson of St. Louis, a daughter of W. A.Nicholson. They have two children, Beverly and Charles F., Jr. While Mr. Haanel is a republican, his pressing business interests have given him no time to take an active part in politics beyond that of casting his vote and using his influence for the election ,of the candidates of the party in whose principles he firmly believes. He is a member of Keystone Lodge, a thirty-second degree Mason and a Shriner.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Albert H. Haeseler, a contractor and builder of St. Louis, was born at Bremen, Germany, September 6, 1848. His father, the late Albert Haeseler, was prominent in the same line of business in Bremen and spent his entire life in his native country, passing away in 1866. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Louisa Stremmel, was born in Darmstadt, Germany, and in 1874 came to St. Louis where her remaining days were passed, her death occurring in 1890 when she had reached the age of seventy-five. Her family numbered five sons and three daughters.
Albert H. Haeseler, who was the fourth in order of birth, was educated in the public schools of his native city and also in private institutions. He concentrated upon the study of architecture and after completing his preparation for the profession traveled in all parts of Germany for a period of three years, working as a builder and doing various kinds of architectural work, thus meeting the requirements of the country by rounding out his experience in this way. The opportunities of the new world attracted him, however, and in 1871 he crossed the Atlantic to the United States, arriving in St. Louis on the 2d of September. From that time until 1888 he was employed as a Journeyman in the building line and in that year established business on his own account, since which time he has won a well merited reputation as a contractor and builder. The thoroughness of his work, his reliability and his efficiency have won him steady advancement and during the intervening years he has erected many of the most substantial and beautiful homes of St. Louis. He has also been the builder of a number of the leading industrial buildings of the city and is now engaged on the erection of the largest individual industrial building ever erected in the city—the plant of the General Motor company which covers many acres. This is one of the most extensive building projects of the west and is the largest of the company's plants in the United States. Thus Mr. Haeseler has reached the position of leadership in connection with the building industry and the substantial character and beauty of many of the structures of St. Louis are attributable entirely to his labors. .
On the 7th of June, 1893, Mr. Haeseler was married in St. Louis, to Miss Bertha Steiner, a native of this city and a daughter of Otto and---------- (Oehler) Steiner.  Mr. and Mrs. Haeseler have become parents of two daughters: Ella and Irma.
In 1907 Mr. Haeseler made a long tour through Europe visiting his old home and friends and enjoying his trip to many points of historic and modern interest. Mr. Haeseler votes for the republican party and belongs to Irvin Lodge, No. 291, A. F. & A. M.; to the Royal Lodge chapter; to the Scottish Rite Consistory; and to Moolah Tejpple of the Mystic Shrine. He is also connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His has been an active and successful life, and as the builder and architect of his own fortunes he has builded wisely and well.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Edward Arthur HaidEdward Arthur Haid, who since his admission to the bar on the 1st of August, 1904, has engaged in law practice in St. Louis, where he was born November 4, 1881, is a son of Frederick W. and Sophia C. (Kraemer) Haid, who are mentioned in connection with the record of George F. Haid on another page of this work. Edward A. Haid was a pupil in the Blair school of St. Louis and when a lad of between twelve and thirteen years began providing for his own livelihood. His first position was that of a bundle boy with the J. L. Hudson Clothing company and his original wage was two dollars per week. He worked in that way for six months and afterward became connected with the St. Louis Star, delivering afternoon papers for a half year. Subsequently he was office boy for Hon. Elmer B. Adams. United States district Judge, and while thus employed took up the study of stenography. After six months he accepted a position with the Murnane Silvering & Beveling company as a stenographer and in 1901 became secretary to the Hon. Amos M. Thayer, judge of the United States circuit court of appeals. He began the study of law in the Benton Law School, where he completed his course in 1904, and the same year was admitted to practice. Resigning his position in connection with the United States court he entered the law office of Jones & Hocker, with whom he continued for about six months, or until January, 1906, when he began practice on his own account, thus spending two years. He next entered the law department of the Frisco Railroad with which he was associated until December, 1912, when he was made assistant general attorney of the St. Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt) Railroad. In May, 1915, he was advanced to the position of general attorney of the Cotton Belt and so continued until January, 1917, when he resigned and entered upon private practice, specializing in railroad law and rate matters. In the discussion of legal matters he speaks clearly and to the point, without ornament, and his success is due to his close analytical work in the office and in the court.
In St. Louis, November 24, 1904, Mr. Haid was married to Miss Princess A. Bailey, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Charles T. and Catherine (Wise) Bailey. The father, now deceased, was a representative of an old family of Van Wert, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Haid have become parents of three children: Edward C, whose birth occurred June 13, 1906; Eula V., who was born March 19, 1908; and Lloyd Orr, whose natal day was November 28, 1910. All are natives of St. Louis.
After America entered the World war Mr. Haid served on the legal advisory board of the twenty-eighth ward of St. Louis, was also a member of the intelligence bureau and took helpful part in the bond sales, the Red Cross drives and other war activities. Since attaining his majority he has voted with the republican party. He is well known as a member of the Missouri Athletic Association and belongs to Grace Methodist Episcopal church, in the teachings of which have been found the guiding spirit of his life.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Claud D. HallHall, Claud D.
Few representatives of the St. Louis bar have enjoyed so wide and well merited a reputation as has Claud D. Hall, an eminent attorney who achieved notable success as prosecutor in the famous case of B.O. Lewis, who had been the promoter of almost untold corporations and business interests that were of a chimerical character, existing more upon paper than in any substantial form. As a lawyer Mr. Hall has always displayed keen powers of analysis and notable insight into the purposes and plans of men. His preparation of a case has always been full and comprehensive, his application of legal principles exact and his deductions clear and logical. By reason of these qualities he has won notable success in his chosen profession.
Mr. Hall was born in Arcola, Douglas county, Illinois, December 6, 1873, and is a son of John Isom Hall, a native of southern Indiana, whose people came from Virginia and were of Welsh descent. The father was reared, educated and married in the Hoosier state. It was on the 4th of February, 1868, that he wedded Carrie Bond, a native of Lawrence county, Indiana, and soon thereafter they removed to Douglas county, Illinois, where they*have since resided, occupying one farm throughout this period. The father is a very enterprising and progressive agriculturist and is one of the leading and prominent citizens of that part of the state. To him and his wife have been born eight children, four sons and four daughters. The parents celebrated their golden wedding on the 4th of February 1918. The parents of Mrs. Hall came from Ireland. The founder of the Bond family in the new world settled here in an early day, and Mrs. Hall is a descendant of Nathaniel Greene of Revolutionary war fame.
Mr. Hall pursued his early education in the public schools of Arcola, Illinois, and afterward attended De Pauw University, at Greencastle, Indiana, from which he was graduated in 1896 with the Bachelor of Philosophy degree. His high standing was indicated in the fact that he was chosen to deliver the class oration of that year. He prepared for a professional career in the St. Louis Law School, a department of Washington University, from which he was graduated with the LL. B. degree in 1898. On the 27th of June in that year he was admitted to the bar and has since continued successfully in the general practice of law. He is a member of the St. Louis Bar Association, the Missouri Bar Association, and the American Bar Association. His early life to the age of seventeen years was spent upon the home farm and his career illustrates the fact that when the city boy crosses swords with the country lad in the struggle to secure ascendancy the odds are against him, for the early rising, the necessity to make each blow tell oh the farm, and the demands to meet the existing conditions all develop in the country bred boy qualities which make for advancement when he enters upon any line of business. While still a college student Mr. Hall acted as newspaper correspondent during vacation periods and gained much by this experience and thus added to his funds. He closely applies himself to the mastery of every problem presented for solution and in the preparation of his cases is prepared not only for attack -but also for defense. He has been connected with some of the most important litigation heard in the courts sitting in St. Louis as well as the state and federal appellate courts. Perhaps the most notable law case with which C. D. Hall has been connected, was that which concerned E. G. Lewis, the publisher and organizer of scores of corporations which took the money of thousands of investors and stockholders from throughout the country, and yet some of these corporations never had a directors' meeting.
The Post-Dispatch of St. Louis said: "This lengthy bill of complaint recites a marvelous story. If it recites the truth, or if a small per cent of the recitals are the truth then we have for consideration one of the most gigantic frauds that has ever been perpetrated in many a day"—in such terms did Judge Dyer and McPherson of the United States circuit court order the enormous Lewis enterprises placed under a blanket receivership.
Another Journal said: "The ‘lengthy bill of complaint' referred to, consisting of several hundred typewritten pages of allegations, was prepared and presented by Claud D. Hall. In his presentation of the case, lasting more than an hour and a half, Mr. Hall recited the principal facts of the various and diverse Lewis schemes, and cited authority after authority, for his position without reference to any notes or memoranda of any kind. His speech is said to have been one of the most convincing and most eloquent arguments ever presented in any court at St. Louis.
"The largest of the Lewis enterprises affected by the receivership order, were the University Heights Realty & Development Company, capitalized at one million dollars; the Lewis Publishing Company, three and one half million dollars; the United States Fiber Stopper Company, one million dollars; the People's Savings Trust Company, four hundred thousand dollars; and the Development & Investment Company, one hundred thousand dollars.
"These concerns as revealed in the decision of the court were all figments of the brain of E. G. Lewis, not yet forty years of age. Mr. Lewis has proved himself one of the greatest of frenzied financiers of the United States. He was the prototype of 'Get-Rich-Quick-Wallingford.' When it came to gathering money, multiplying it, making it do double duty, etc., Lewis was a financial genius of the first water. But he became involved; he waded in too far. Some of his stockholders suspected loose practices and called for a show-down, and it was then that Lewis' house of cards tumbled about his head.. The story of his career, which cannot be given here in full reads like a romance, a fanciful fairy tale from the inventive brain of some great imaginative writer.
"Sixteen years ago Lewis found himself in a southern city stranded. With only twenty-five cents, in his pocket, he faced the prospect of starvation unless something turned up at once. He had heard that oil of wintergreen was repugnant to bugs. Why not make of it a bug powder or a bug chalk? No sooner thought than done. He invested his quarter in oil of wintergreen and chalk, which he mixed with water and molded into sticks. Going to a nearby drug store, he announced that he had discovered the first and only infallible bug chalk. He agreed in the presence of a number of the store's patrons, to prove the merits of his discovery. The druggist produced and set loose on the floor a roach. Lewis drew out a stick of his bug chalk and marked a wide circle on the floor around the roach. The insect ran around the floor until it came to the wintergreen-scented chalk mark, when it stopped, refused to cross that line and turned the other way. Lewis sold three dollars worth of his chalk to those who witnessed the performance, stocked the druggist with it, bought more raw material and in one afternoon found himself launched on a long and varied career of frenzied finance.
"Among the many companies that he promoted or was interested in are these: Bug Chalk Company; Anti-Skeet Company, making tablets to kill mosquitoes; Anti-Fly Company; another anti-skeet company; Cathartic Medicine Company; World's Fair Contest Company; Mail Dealers' Protective Association, for collecting delinquent mail order accounts; Corroco Company, to take over all Tennessee preparations; Corona Company, a St. Louis concern for making bug poisons; Dr. Hott's Cold Crackers, guaranteed to 'crack a cold in an hour'; Diamond Candy Company; Hygienic Remedy Company; Walk-Easy Company, a foot powder concern; Anti-Cavity Company, toothache medicine; Progressive Watch Company, to sell watches by the endless chain scheme; Mail Order Publishing Company; National Installment Company; Coin Controller Company; Woman's Farm Journal Company; Woman's Magazine; Allen Steam Trap Company; University City Heights Realty & Development Company; Richarz Press Room Company; Controller Company of America; California Vineyards Company; Lewis Publishing Company; Fibre Stopper Company; People's United States Bank; International Language Schools; Art Pottery Company; Woman's National Daily; the St. Louis Subway Scheme; and the Woman's National League.
"The Judicial opinion states the case in part as follows: 'Commencing approximately ten years ago, the defendant Edward G. Lewis, utterly insolvent, has handled hundreds of thousands of dollars of money, and millions upon millions of dollars of paper in the form of notes, bonds, debentures, trusts deeds and securities. If the recitals of this bill are to be believed, and they are not as yet controverted, the South Sea Bubble, of which Washington Irving so beautifully wrote, has been well nigh equaled, if not eclipsed by the schemes during the last decade of the defendant, Edward Q. Lewis. If this story is worthy of credence, the Panama stock and bond scandal of Prance of fifteen years ago, has been equaled if not surpassed. One corporation would be organized, accompanied by the most flaming and glittering bulletins, dodgers, circular letters and advertisements, informing the people how they could get rich over night and make money in fabulous sums by the investment of their meagre savings. One corporation would progress some time, but for a few months, and in no instance for longer than two or three years, when something better would be announced, investors advised to have evidence of indebtedness surrendered and changed in form and another corporation would be organized. Magazines were brought into being and sold to subscribers at a nominal rate, resulting in thousands of tons of such literature being carried through the United States mails in the city and country of St. Louis free of transportation charges and sent to all parts of the United States for a cent a pound. The ostensible purpose of these magazines and papers was for the purpose of publishing literature of the highest order, but in truth and in fact for the advertising of the schemes of the enterprises of the defendant, Lewis. At the commencement of his career Lewis was not worth a dollar. He has collected hundreds of thousands of dollars, a part of which was for his own use and benefit, and many times that sum for the investment in buildings, machinery, real estate and the building of additions to the city of St. Louis. One of his schemes was for the creation of a college or university, partly to be devoted to oral teaching, but largely to teaching by mail. Stock was subscribed by persons from all over the country. Some stock would be issued but additional and more promises made for the issue of stock at some future day. By the time the stock was to be issued a new scheme would be devised and stock or bonds in many corporations promised. Some of these corporations were organized under the laws of the state' of Missouri and were organized in utter defiance of the laws and* constitution of the state. Other corporations were organized under the laws of the state of South Dakota, the purpose thereby being to circumvent the laws of the state of Missouri. The place of business was to be at or adjoining the city of St. Louis, in the state of Missouri.
. "Boards of directors would be elected, or rather named on paper, and in some instances boards of directors of some of the defendant corporations have never held a meeting, and yet records were made up as if said, corporations had been legally organized and the business carried on by and through regular meetings of the boards of directors and other officers.
"People to the number of tens of thousands, and these tens of thousands multiplied many times, subscribed for stock and bonds and other securities of some of these defendant corporations. The complainants if the allegations of the bill are true, parted with their money and have never received a farthing in return, either principal or interest. No one promise made to them has been observed.
"The organization of these many corporations has been for the purpose of creating an endless chain, to the end that the people who parted with their money could not tell where the chain commenced and where it would end. The bill recites in fact that how much indebtedness anyone of these defendant corporations owes, cannot be ascertained within a reasonable time. Accountants were employed and after expending much time, had to cease their work for lack of money to pay them. During the oral argument each of us asked many questions, trying to elicit what the indebtedness of any one corporation amounts to, and what the assets of such corporations aggregate. All of such questions resulted in acquiring no information of a tangible or substantial character.
" 'One of the defendants, a bank, has a certificate of deposit of eighty thousand dollars which has just matured and it is now claimed that a court of equity should construe that certificate into a mere receipt for some bills receivable, and that there is by reason thereof no money demand. One corporation swallows the assets of another corporation, and in turn the assets of that corporation are swallowed by still another. The truth is, if this bill is to be believed, there is no valid corporation and has been none. Every one of the defendant corporations has been organized as a mere sham and pretense—nothing in the world hut a cloak to cover the purposes of the defendant, Edward G. Lewis. The matters of course have not yet been investigated. To properly state an account between the so called defendants would require the work of accountants and a mastery in chancery for a considerable period of time/
"The bill goes on to discuss the purely legal aspects of the ease and terminates by appointing a receiver and a master in chancery to conduct an inquiry into the accounts and assets of the concerns.
"The decision was a great victory for G. D. Hall, who discovered and presented the facts and filed the proceedings that threw every dollar and every foot of the property of the corporations into the hands of the receiver for distribution to the thousands of creditors, of whom two hundred and thirty-three had engaged Hall to protect their Interests. Hall was pitted for months in the Lewis case, against the leading lights of the Missouri bar. He has come off successful at every turn and has won a national reputation, having been on several occasions referred to on the floor of the United States senate."
Mr. Hall was married at Mount Vernon, Iowa, to Miss Jessie S. Sherwood, from whom he secured a legal separation. On the 20th of April, 1910, in St. Louis, he married Mrs. Laura C. Gays, a native of this city and a daughter of Samuel Newton and Henrietta (Scobee) Cash, and a direct descendant through the maternal line of Daniel Boone.
In politics Mr. Hall has always been a stalwart democrat and has been a very active and earnest supporter of the party. He belongs to Pride of the West Lodge, No. 128, A. F. & A. M„ and has also taken the Royal Arch degrees of Masonry and is a Knight Templar and Shriner. He is a member of the City Club and of the Mercantile Club of St. Louis, and he belongs to the Hamilton Avenue Christian church. His is a notable career as a successful man, not only self-made but self-educated, for he worked his way through Washington University. The elemental strength of his character which he thus displayed has constituted the basis of his substantial advancement. He early recognized the eternal principle that industry wins, and industry became the beacon light of his life. It is said no man at the bar in St. Louis has greater liking or greater capacity for hard work than Mr. Hall. He recognized that success dances as a will-o'-the-wisp before the dreamer, slips away from the sluggard, but yields its fruits to the man of determined and resolute purpose. All through his life Mr. Hall has done with thoroughness what his hand has found to do and in his professional career he has made devotion to the interests of his clients one of his strongest characteristics, yet he never forgets that he owes a still higher allegiance to the majesty of the law.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Homer Hall, attorney at law practicing in St. Louis, was born in Trenton, Missouri, August 24, 1871. His father, George Hall, a native of Indiana and a descendant from one of the old families of that state and of Kentucky, was born on a farm about ten miles from Indianapolis that had been preempted under the patent laws by his father and is still in possession of the family. In the paternal line there is a Scotch ancestral strain. In May, 1867, George Hall became a resident of Missouri and for the past fifty-two years has been an active practitioner at the bar of Grundy county. He is now the oldest practicing lawyer in that part of the state. Before his removal to Missouri he had served in the Civil war as a member of the Nineteenth and of the Seventy-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He proudly wears the little bronze button that proclaims him a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and he served as department commander for Missouri in 1899-1900. In politics he has always been an active republican and was a member of the Old Guard of 306 who voted for the nomination of U. S. Grant for a third term at the national convention of the republican party in 1880. From 1876 until 1880 he served as probate Judge of Grundy county. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Rachel Abbott Smith, is a native of Ohio and is a descendant of an old Pennsylvania family. Her father was a pioneer Methodist preacher of Ohio and West Virginia and was of Irish descent, and she was a cousin of the late Bishop C. W. Smith of the Methodist Episcopal church. She has been active in the Woman's Relief Corps, having served as president of the state organization and in the Federation of Women's Clubs in Missouri.
Homer Hall was the second in order of birth in a family of four children. He was educated in the Trenton public and high schools and in De Pauw University at Greencastle, Indiana, from which he was graduated with the Bachelor of Philosophy degree in 1893. He also studied law in that institution and in his father's office and he passed the required bar examination at Trenton, being admitted to practice in April, 1894. He then became associated with his father in practice as a member of the well known firm of Hall & Hall, which included a younger brother Frank Hall, who was for twelve years assistant to the United States attorney general in the land division of the department of justice and is now in private practice at San Francisco.
On the 15th of October, 1910, Homer Hall came to St. Louis and served as assistant United States attorney from that date until March 1, 1915, when he entered upon the private practice of his profession; He belongs to the St. Louis, Missouri and American Bar Associations. Politically Mr. Hall is a republican and in 1899 was representative of Grundy county in the general assembly. He has always been an active worker for the party and for the best interests of the state. In 1909 he was a member and the secretary of the State Statute Revision Commission of Missouri. When America's advent into the World war brought about fast changing conditions and made different demands upon the citizenship of the country, he became a member of Company F of the First Missouri Regiment of the Home Guards in August, 1917, Joining the command on its organization and holding the rank of sergeant when discharged in October, 1918, at which time he was commissioned a major in the Judge advocate general's - department of the army, with which he served in Washington until the 24th of March, 1919. He is a member of Grace Methodist Episcopal church, is serving on its board of stewards and was a delegate to the Methodist general conference at Los Angeles in 1904, at Baltimore in 1908 and at Minneapolis in 1912. He is a member of the University, City and Algonquin Clubs. Since the 1st of January, 1921, he has been general attorney for the Wabash Railway Company for the territory of Missouri and Iowa.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Edwin S. HallettEdwin S. Hallett, chief engineer for the board of education at St. Louis, was born at Borden, Indiana, September 4, 1862, and is a son of John M. Hallett, likewise a native of the Hoosier state. The family was founded in America by Andrew Hallett, who came from Plymouth, England, in 1635 and settled near Boston at Barnstable, Massachusetts. Thomas Hallett, the great-grandfather of Edwin S. Hallett, was a soldier of the American army in the Revolutionary war. The grandfather, Samuel Hallett, left the east in 1819 and removed to Indiana, where he took up government land which is still in possession of the family, having been transferred from father to son. John M. Hallett was reared and. educated in Indiana and turned his attention to farming and stock raising on the old homestead, where he continued to reside until his death. He was an active republican and his opinions carried weight in the councils of his party in the district in which he resided. He belonged to the Disciples church and was a man of most religious spirit, giving earnest support to the church and doing everything in his power to uplift his fellow men. He had attained the age of seventy-seven years when he passed away in 1910. His wife, who died in 1904 at the age of sixty-six years, bore the maiden name of Louisa Martin and was a native of Kentucky, while her ancestry was of the Pennsylvania Dutch line, with also a Scotch strain. The ancestral history can be traced back to 1800. To Mr. and Mrs. Hallett were born four children, three sons and a daughter, of whom three are yet living.
Edwin S. Hallett was educated in the public schools of Borden, Indiana, and after completing the work of the high school there entered the National Normal University at Lebanon, Ohio, from which he was graduated with the Bachelor of Science degree in 1885. His early life to the age of nineteen years was spent upon the home farm and he early became familiar with the duties and labors incident to the development and improvement of the fields. He then took up educational work and became principal of the schools at Corydon, Indiana, while later he was superintendent of the Teachers College at that place, filling the two positions from 1890 until 1904. During this time he studied engineering and in the latter year he became superintendent of trade schools and also ex officio chief engineer of the Indiana Reformatory for boys at Jeffersonville, Indiana. He served in that capacity for three years in connection with this institution. He afterward entered the government service at Louisville, Kentucky, and there remained from 1907 until 1908, when he was transferred to St. Louis in connection with the operation, inspection and construction of government buildings. He remained in the government service until 1917, when he accepted the position of chief engineer for the board of education. He has since been thus identified with the public interests of the city and is making a most excellent record in his present position.
On the 19th of July, 1887, at Jeffersonville, Indiana, Mr. Hallett Was married to Miss Emma K. Piers, a native of that place and a daughter of J. C. and Margaret P. (Gregory) Piers, the latter from Louisville, Kentucky, and still a resident of that state. Mr. and Mrs. Hallett have become the parents of two children: Mary, the wife of Philip Gronemeyer, an instructor in the manual training schools of St. Louis; and Samuel G., who spent three years at Washington University, pursuing a mechanical engineering course. During the war he entered the officers' training camp on Pelham bay, New York, and was also at the Stevens Institute at Hoboken. He entered the navy as a machinist and later was. commissioned an ensign, serving for one year. He received the degree of Bachelor of Science in Engineering at Purdue University, 1920.
In his political views Mr. Hallett has always been a steadfast republican. Fraternally he is connected with Clarke- Lodge, No. 40, A. F. & A. M., at Jeffersonville, Indiana, and he also belongs to the Sons of the American Revolution. He has membership in the Union Avenue Christian church of St. Louis, in which he is serving as an elder, and for many years he has been doing T. M. C. A. mission work. He has recently organized and established a T. M. C. A. at Granite City, Illinois, where he is personally conducting and aiding in the secular, moral and religious training of a large foreign alien citizens' class. He is thus showing his keen interest in Americanization and is doing everything in his power to bring before those of foreign birth a right conception of the high ideals of American life. Along professional lines Mr. Hallett has various membership connections. He is now the president of the St. Louis chapter of the American Heating & Ventilating Engineers, is a member of the Society of Constructors of Federal Buildings and of the St. Louis Engineers Club. Thoroughness has ever characterized his efforts in every relation and it has been by reason of his close application, perseverance and energy that he has gained a prominent position in engineering circles, being widely known throughout the country in this connection. Business, however, has only been one phase of his life, and while he has made steady advancement along the line of his chosen profession he has found time and opportunity to cooperate in movements looking to the welfare and benefit of the individual and the community at large. Citizenship is to him no mere idle phrase and he has at all times recognized his obligations and duties as well as his privileges as an American citizen. He is thus seeking to promote American principles before the foreign born and in his church work is constantly reaching out along broadening lines for the moral uplift of his fellow men.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Mrs. Dora Henninges HeinsohnHEINSOHN, Mrs. Dora Henninges, opera singer, born in Mansfield, Ohio, 2d August, 1861. Mrs. Heinsohn comes from a very musical family. She began her studies when but seven years old, both vocal and instrumental, with her father, R. E. Henninges. She sang in concerts and operettas at fourteen, and her advancement was so rapid that she soon entered the Cincinnati College of Music, where she advanced to the highest position among vocal pupils, attracting not only the attention of the faculty, but also of persons generally interested in music. Her teachers up to that time had been Signor La Villa and Signor Stefanone. Later she became a pupil of Max Maretzek, under whose guidance she began to study Italian opera. Her first appearance in opera, after having sung many times in oratorios and concerts under Theodore Thomas, was under Mapleson, when she appeared as Leonora in Beethoven's "Fidelio." Soon after, she went to Paris, where she became a pupil of Mme. Lagrange, under whose direction she completed her studies. After her return to this country, Miss Henninges appeared in German opera in the Metropolitan Opera House, New York, and in many concerts, both in the East and the West. She possesses a powerful dramatic soprano voice, which she uses with intelligence.  Her repertory is a large one, consisting of hundreds of songs and dozens of operatic roles.  In 1888 Miss Henninges became the wife of G. W. Heinsohn, of Cleveland, Ohio, and has since been devoting her time to teaching and to church and concert singing in St. Louis, Mo.
(Source: American Women, by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol 1, 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow)


HENRY, FIDELIO SHARP, oil and gas producer, Tulsa, born St. Louis, Mo., September 7, 1872, son of Robert L. and Rosa (Sharp) Henry. Educated in the public schools of St. Louis and was graduated from Yale in 1894. Came to Oklahoma three years ago to take charge of the Henry Oil Co. and the Henry Gas Co., and is vice-president of both companies, holding large interests in the Collinsvllie, Bartlesville, Nowata and other fields. The Henrys, including father and brother, have been identified with oil and gas business in Ohio, West Virginia and Pennsylvania for more than twenty years. Is independent in politics; member University Club of Chicago, and the Yale Club of New York. Married April 12, 1898, to Miss Ida May Archer, daughter of Judge Osceola Archer, Austin, Texas.
(Source: Men of Affairs and Representative Institutions of Oklahoma 1916. Submitted by Vicki Hartman)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.