Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri Genealogy Trails

" H "

Alexander Hamilton Handlan, starting out to provide for his own support when a youth of seventeen years, has steadily worked his way upward through persistency of purpose, ready adaptability, a recognition and utilization of opportunities, and above all through the most thoroughly reliable methods, his integrity in business affairs never being called into question. He is now the president of the Handlan-Buck Manufacturing Company and as such widely known in the commercial circles of St. Louis.
He was born in Wheeling, Virginia, April 25, 1844, and is a son of Alexander Hamilton Handlan, Sr., who was a native of Ohio and of English descent. He was a captain on steamboats on the Ohio, Mississippi and Missouri rivers and was also a veteran of the Civil war, having served in Missouri, where his duty was to select pilots for gunboats during the Civil war. He resided in Cincinnati for many years and from 1886 until the time of his death, which occurred in 1893, when he was eighty-one years of age, he was a resident of Kirkwood, St. Louis county, Missouri. He married Catherine Kineon, who passed away in Ohio in 1895 at the age of seventy-seven years. Their family numbered three sons, all of whom are .now living, the eldest being Eugene Young Handlan, who is retired and resides in Cincinnati, while John J. is a farmer of Bourbon, Missouri.
The third member of the family, Alexander H. Handlan, was educated in the public schools and also in Herron Seminary of Cincinnati, but when seventeen years of age ran away from home and made his way to the south. He was first employed as a messenger in a telegraph office at Memphis, Tennessee, at a wage of three dollars per week. He also spent some time in Nashville, Tennessee, and in 1861 he removed to St. Louis. Later he returned to Cincinnati and there entered the quartermaster's department, with which he was connected for three years during the period of the Civil war. He was at the battles of Perryville, Kentucky, and Murphysboro, Tennessee. When the war was over he took up his abode in Memphis and there engaged in keeping books for his uncle, James T. Handlan, who was a wholesale and retail hat and shoe merchant, having a branch of the Jesse Arnold house of St. Louis. Mr. Handlan afterward became a resident of Washington county, Mississippi, where he had charge of a plantation for two years, after which he returned to St. Louis and was engaged in the railroad supply business, entering the employ of M. M. Buck in this connection in January, 1869. At that time the business of the house amounted to only about fifteen hundred dollars per month. During the first two months after Mr. Handlan'a connection therewith the business increased to over forty thousand dollars and after the first year's service he made arrangements whereby he was to receive a certain per cent of the profits instead of a salary. He thus entered into partnership relations and from a humble beginning has been developed the largest rail-road supply house in the United States. In 1895 Mr. Handlan - purchased Mr. Buck's interest and he and his family have since conducted the business alone, holding all of the stock. With the purchase of Mr. Buck's interest Mr. Handlan: changed the name to the M. M. Buck Manufacturing Company, under which style he carried on the business until 1901, when his three sons, Eugene W., Alexander H. Jr., and Edward R., became partners in the enterprise, at which time the business was reincorporated under the name of the Handlan-Buck Manufacturing Company, of which Mr. Handlan has since remained the president. The company manufactures signal lamps, lanterns, headlights, track drills, metal flags and in fact an entire line of railroad supplies for contractors, machine shops, mills, foundries and mines. Mr. Handlan is also the president of the Handlan Warehouse Company and a director of the Commonwealth Realty Company. He has thus extended his efforts into various fields and his cooperation has constituted an important element in commercial progress in St. Louis.
On the 11th of September, 1866, Mr. Handlan was married in Nashville,Tennessee, to Miss Mollie A. De Prez, a native of Paris, France, and a daughter of Isadore and Francoise De Prez. To Mr. and Mrs. Handlan have been born seven children, four daughters and three sons, who are yet living. These are: Eugene W., who is the vice president and treasurer of the company; Alexander H., Jr., vice president and manager; and Edward R., secretary. The last named enlisted in the army in 1917 as a member of the Three Hundrecf and Forty-second Field Artillery of the Eighty-ninth Division and was acting colonel of the regiihent at the close of the war.
Mr. and Mrs. Handlan have celebrated their golden wedding, and on the 17th of January, 1919, his fiftieth year with the company of which he is now the head. There are thirty-four employes with the house whose service extends over a period of from twelve to fifty-two years.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Catholic church, and Mr. Handlan belongs to the Knights of Columbus. His political support is given to the democratic party and while he has never been an office seeker, he does active work in behalf of his city as a member of the Chamber of Commerce, of which he is now one of the directors. He also belongs to the Old Mercantile Club, the Missouri Athletic Association and the Noonday Club. He has a very wide acquaintance in St. Louis, where he has now made his home for more than a half century, and throughout this period his record has been marked by a steady progress in business with the wise utilization of his time and opportunities, leading to notable success that may well serve to inspire and encourage others who must begin life as he did empty-handed.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

Dr. William M. Hangen, physician and surgeon, with offices in the Arcade building in St. Louis, was born in Dayton, Ohio, March 28, 1881. His father, Christopher Hangen, was also a native of Ohio and was of German descent, the grandfather of Dr. Hangen having been the founder of the American branch of the family. He came to the new world in the early '40s, settling in Ohio, where he followed the blacksmith's trade. Christopher Hangen was reared and educated in Ohio and became a successful farmer and stock raiser. He passed away in July, 1902, at the age of fifty-six years. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Sarah Meyer, is a native of Ohio and also of German lineage. She survives and is now living in Wellington,. Kansas. Their family numbered six sons and three daughters.
Dr. Hangen who was the third child, was educated in the public and high schools of Wellington, Kansas, and in the State University at Lawrence before entering the St. Louis University School of Medicine, from which he was graduated with the M. D. degree in 1907. Following his graduation he served in the city and private hospitals for six months and then entered upon the private practice of his profession in St. Louis, where he has continuously remained, being successfully engaged in general practice throughout all the intervening years. He is very careful in the diagnosis of his cases and seldom, if ever, at fault in foretelling the outcome of disease. Moreover, he is most conscientious in the performance of all of his professional duties and holds to the highest ethical standards. He belongs to the St. Louis, the Missouri State and the American Medical Associations. During the period of the World war he was assistant diagnostician of urology for the city of St. Louis.
On the 4th of October, 1912, in St. Louis, Dr. Hangen was married to Miss Grace L. Knaber, a native of Illinois and a daughter of Charles and Elizabeth Knaber. Fraternally Dr. Hangen is connected with Tuscan Lodge, No. 360, A. F. & A. M.; with Home Chapter of the Eastern Star; with Pacific Lodge, No. 304, K. P., of which he is a past chancellor; and with the Loyal Order of Moose. He likewise belongs to the Chamber of Commerce and is a member of the Rotary, St. Louis and Missouri Automobile Clubs. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and his religious faith is that of the Lutheran church.
His interests and activities are broad and varied, showing that he is fully cognizant of the duties and obligations of citizenship and that he possesses a keen interest in everything pertaining to public progress. He has recently established what is an innovation in western cities—a down-town emergency hospital. This is most scientifically equipped according to modern methods and is maintained in connection with his splendidly equipped offices. The hospital contains two operating rooms, an X-ray laboratory, a chemical and microscopical laboratory and bedroom equipment, with attendant nurses, while a physician is always on duty, ready for any emergency that may arise. This hospital is proving of great value to St. Louis, having already taken care of many emergency cases, and in its establishment Dr. Hangen displayed the progressive spirit which has actuated him at all points in his professional career.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

Theodore J. Harder, chief rater with the insurance firm of W. H. Markham & Company of St. Louis, is a native son of the city in which he resides, his birth having here occurred July 20, 1877. His father, Adam Harder, was born in Germany and came to America in 1870. He engaged in the furnace and range business under the name of O'Connor & Harder, this being one of the first firms to carry on a business of that character in St. Louis. They were located at No. 615 Olive street, where the Railway Exchange building now stands. Mr. Harder won a substantial measure of success in his business in which he continued active to the time of his death, which occurred in 1886. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Emma Hennemann, was born in St. Louis, and was a daughter of Theodore F. and Emma (Dieckmann) Hennemann. Her father was one of the first locksmiths in St. Louis doing business at No. 218 Locust street. To Mr. and Mrs. Harder were born five children, three sons and two daughters, of whom Theodore J. is the eldest. The others are Clara, the wife of Francis H. Miller, who is an accountant with W. H. Markham & Company; Ida, a sister of the Holy Cross at Notre Dame, Indiana; Robert C, a Jesuit priest of the St. Louis University; and Albert M.
Theodore J. Harder was educated in St. Joseph's school and in the St. Louis University, in which he continued his studies for three years. From 1893 until 1912 he was with the St. Louis Board of Fire Underwriters, beginning as a clerk and rising to the position of chief rater. On the 1st of October, 1912, he became connected with W. H. Markham & Company, entering their employ as chief rater and continuing with them to the present time in that position, which is one of large responsibility. His thoroughness and broad experience have well qualified him for the important duties that devolve upon him.
On the 23d of September, 1903, in St. Louis, Mr. Harder was married to Miss Isabel Gorla, a daughter of John and Pauline (Valette) Gorla, the former a representative of an Italian family while the latter is of French descent. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Harder was celebrated in the Visitation Catholic church. They hare become parents of three daughters: Genevieve, born January 23, 1906; Marie, December 10, 1907; and Clare, June 17, 1915.
During the World war Mr. Harder spent much of his time in securing subscriptions for the various war activities and made an inspection for the government of the packing plants and grain elevators.   In politics he has maintained an independent course, voting for men and measures rather than parties. He was reared In the Catholic faith and is now a communicant of St. Pius church. He also -belongs to the Knights of Columbus. He has membership in the Zoological Society and is interested in all that pertains to the welfare and progress of his city, his aid and influence being always given on the side of improvement and advancement.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

Frank Herbert HaskinsFrank Herbert Haskins, specializing in corporation and commercial law, who entered upon general practice in St. Louis in 1892, was born in Peoria, Illinois, January 10, 1867, his parents being L. F. and Juliet S. Haskins. The father passed away in 1885 and the mother is now living in Los Angelee, California.
Frank Herbert Haskins has been a resident of St. Louis since 1874. His father had engaged in the wholesale grocery business in Peoria and after removing to St. Louis devoted his attention to the brokerage business. The mother comes from an old pioneer family of Illinois well known in Springfield. In the family were but two children, the brother being Archie F., who died in 1899.
Frank H. Haskins was a lad of but seven years when the family came to St. Louis, where he remained a public school' student until seventeen years of age and afterward devoted five years to a law course at Washington University, from which he was graduated in 1893 with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. He had been admitted to the bar in 1892. His first business experience had come to him through seven years' connection with George D. Capen, a well known figure in insurance circles in St. Louis. With his admission to the bar Mr. Haskins entered upon the general practice of law and is now giving his attention largely to corporation and commercial law, being also widely known as a most able counselor. He is a deep thinker, a clear reasoner and prepares his cases with the utmost thoroughness and care, while his devotion to his clients' interests is proverbial.
Mr. Haskins is a member of the Episcopal church and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He resides at the Missouri Athletic Club, is also a member of the Algonquin Golf Club and Automobile Club and has always manifested a keen interest in those things which have to do with progress and improvement in the city. During the war period he was a government appeals attorney and a member of the Home Guard, the age limit preventing him from being accepted for active service. He is a 32d degree Mason, a Knight Templar, and a member of the Moolah Temple of the Mystic Shrine.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

Hauk, Bernard Riley
A pioneer among the dairymen of the south and southwest Bernard Riley Hauk has established a creamery and supply business whose trade-mark, "The Bee” is known throughout that section of the country. He was born in St. Louis January 8, 1871, the son of William C. Hauk of Cincinnati, Ohio, and Anna (Lambourne) Hauk, a native of England. W. C. Hauk, the grandfather of Bernard R. Hauk, was the captain of a steamer, the Clara Bella, which was sunk during an engagement in the Civil war. Ten sons of whom Bernard R. Hauk is the fifth and of whom six are living,.and three daughters, were born to William and Anna Hauk.
Bernard Riley Hauk received his early education in the Ellardsville school in St Louis. His business career began as a night messenger boy in the employ of the old American District Telegraph Company, under the management of George F. Durant Presently, however, when he was eleven years old he entered the service of the H. McK. Wilson Company, and traveled through southern Illinois, promoting creameries in most of the prominent towns. Having accumulated sufficient capital he later organized the firm of Blanke and Hauk which remained the Blanke Manufacturing Company after Mr. Hauk sold his interests, and organized the B. Riley Hauk Supply Company. His latest enterprise is The Dairyman's Manufacturing and Supply Company of which he is president. Until the organization of this firm supplies of the sort were not obtainable nearer than New York and other distant points in the east.
During the war Mr. Hauk bought Liberty bonds and war saving stamps liberally. He is a republican and has fraternal connections with the B. P. O. E., the Knights Templar, the Masons and the Knights of Pythias of which he is a charter member of Pacific Lodge. His church affiliations are Episcopalian.
Mr. Hauk was married in St. Louis on Sept. 22, 1892, to Anna F. Ichtertz, and there were thirteen children born of this union: Robert, Nettie, Olivia, Harry, Ruth, Milllcent, Evalen, Bernard, Loraine, Virginia, George, and two who died in infancy. Mrs. Hauk's parents, John Ichtertz of St. Louis, and her mother, a native of Cincinnati, are living in St. Louis and are over seventy years of age.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

Richard Simrall Hawes is the senior vice president of the First National Bank of St. Louis and that as a financier his vision is broad, his policies well defined and his methods progressive is indicated in the fact that in 1919 he was elected to the presidency of the American Bankers Association, the highest honor to be conferred by the banking fraternity of the country. His opinions have long carried weight and influence among the leading American financiers for the soundness of his Judgment and his enterprise have been manifest in a career that has brought him from the humble position of bank messenger to a position of administrative and executive control of one of the largest financial concerns of the Mississippi valley.
Mr. Hawes was born in Covington, Kentucky, December 15, 1873, and is a direct descendant of the Nicholas, Carter, Smith and other prominent old families of Virginia. His grandfather in the paternal line was Hon. Richard Hawes, of Paris, Kentucky, at one time governor of that state. His parents were Smith N. and Susan Elizabeth (Simrall) Hawes. The former was a merchant of Covington and during the Civil war served as a captain of the Confederate army while his father was acting as Confederate governor of the state and at different periods was also a judge in Kentucky and representative of his district in congress. The son was a youth of nineteen when he joined the First Regiment of Missouri Confederates, serving throughout the entire period of the war. He passed away in 1889 at the age of forty-five years, in St. Louis, Missouri where he had resided for several years prior to his death, during which time he had engaged in the wholesale lumber business. His wife was born in Madison, Indiana, was a representative of an old Kentucky family and was of French Huguenot descent in the maternal line while on the paternal side she came of Scotch ancestry traced back to the fifteenth century. She died in St. Louis in 1899 at the age of fifty-four years. She had but two children, Richard S. and Major Harry B. Hawes.
The former was educated in the public schools of St. Louis and of Kansas City, Missouri, and at the age of fifteen years started out to provide" for his own support by securing employment with the Altman Jewelry Company of Kansas City. In 1889 he became connected with the Mississippi River Commission at St. Louis and his connection with the banking business dates from 1892, at which time he became messenger for the Chemical National Bank of St. Louis. In March, 1897, this bank was consolidated With the Third National Bank and Mr. Hawes advanced through various positions in that bank until he was made vice president in 1911 and became senior vice president in 1918. In July, 1919, the Third National Bank consolidated with the St Louis Union and Mechanics American Banks to form the First National Bank of St. Louis and Mr. Hawes is now senior vice president of the newly created organization. He has long figured prominently among the bankers of the state and nation and in 1912 was elected treasurer of the Missouri Bankers Association, while in 1913 he was chosen vice president and in 1914 was elected to the presidency. In 1915 he was made a member of the executive council of the American Bankers Association and was appointed to the finance committee. In 1916 he became a member of the administrative committee of the American Bankers Association, in 1918 was elected to the vice presidency, was made chairman of the finance committee and in 1919 was elected president which office he is now holding.
The banking interests, of Mr. Hawes, however, constitute but one phase of his public activity. He has always been a stalwart champion of interests and movements which relate to the public welfare of St. Louis and has done most effective work in connection with the Chamber of Commerce. In 1912 he was made chairman of the members conference and the following year was elected to the vice presidency of the chamber. In 1916 he was re-elected to that office and in 1917 was made president He has been president of the Association Reserve City Bankers, was chairman of the free bridge campaign and also chairman of the Buy in St. Louis League. In 1916 as America more and more closely approached a break with Germany he was made chairman of various war activities and in 1916 became chairman of the bankers' committee on Liberty loans, of the Red Cross and other war activities. In 1918 he served as chairman of the United War Work Campaign and was chairman of the Home Guard committee. He likewise served as state treasurer of the United War Work Campaign and was a captain of the Y. M. C. A. drive.
On the 30th of June, 1897, Mr. Hawes was married to Miss Mary Theresa Kemp, a native of St. Louis and a daughter of Thomas and Jennie (Hart) Kemp, the latter a native of Dublin, Ireland. Her father is now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Hawes have been born four children: Richard S., Jr., Mary Bartow, Robert N. and Susan Elizabeth, all natives of St. Louis.
Mr. Hawes is a member of the St. Louis Club, the Missouri Athletic Association, the Algonquin and several other social clubs, but while well known in these organizations he is a man of domestic habits and next to his home enjoys social affairs among his intimate friends rather than the larger activities of the club. He is a man of pleasing personality whose life has been characterized by industry, who is fair and impartial in dealing with employes and who has ever manifested the ability to approach a subject with an open mind.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

E. R. HenselE. R. Hensel is the president and treasurer of the E. R. Hensel Steel & Copper Company, one of the extensive commercial interests of St. Louis and an analyzation of his carter indicates the fact that throughout his life laudable ambition has been supplemented by firm determination, unabating energy and industry that never flags. These qualities have brought him to a point of leadership in his chosen field of labor and the story of his progress is an interesting one. He was born at Lawn Ridge, Marshall county, Illinois, December 8, 1873, his parents being Charles A. and Mary E. (Fendrick) Hensel, both of whom are natives of Germany. The father came to America with his parents in 1856, when but nine years of age, the family home being established at Lawn Ridge, where Charles A. Hensel was reared and educated. He afterward took up the business of farming and stock raising, a pursuit that he has since successfully followed, being now one of the influential and prosperous residents of St. Louis county, Missouri, enjoying the high respect and esteem of all who know him.   His wife came to America with an uncle in 1856, when but seven years of age, both of her parents having passed away a short time before. She acquired a public school education while spending her girlhood days in Illinois and eventually gave her hand in marriage to Charles A. Hensel. To them were born three children, of whom one daughter has departed this life.
E. R. Hensel, the only son, attended the country schools at Hoopeston, Illinois, and later became a student in Greer College, where he spent four years in preparatory work, after which he studied law at Nekton, Kansas, under the direct supervision of Judge J. W. Ady who was then assistant district attorney for the seventh Judicial district of Kansas. His financial resources did not justify a continuance of his studies and after devoting about two years to the mastery of the principles of Jurisprudence he was obliged to resort to some activity that would yield him a livelihood.
On the 6th of July, 1895, Mr. Hensel came to St. Louis and secured a position with Thomas W.' Freeman as bookkeeper and stenographer. Mr. Freeman was engaged in the steel brokerage business which at that time was a very indefinite line. Five months later Walter C. Freeman became a partner with Thomas W. Freeman, the firm being then known as Freeman Brothers. In 1898 Thomas W. Freeman passed away and Mr. Hensel was admitted to a partnership by Walter C. Freeman and the business was conducted under a partnership arrangement as Freeman 6 Company until 1908, when Mr. Hensel purchased his partner's interest and became sole owner, continuing the business under his own name. On March 3, 1911, he incorporated his interests under the style of the B. R. Hensel Steel 6 Copper Company and became president and treasurer, since which time he has filled both offices. In the intervening period he has developed the largest and most successful business of the kind in the west. His care* fully formulated plans, his enterprise and determination have brought results most gratifying and his trade copnections now cover a very extensive territory.
On the 15th of October, 1919, Mr. Hensel was married to Miss Byrd B. Cross, a native of Duquoin, Illinois, and a daughter of James B. and Mary B. Cross.
In his political views Mr. Hensel is a republican and fraternally is a Mason, belonging to Cosmos Lodge, No. 282, A. F. ft A. M. and to various Masonic bodies, including the Knights Templar Commandery, the Consistory and the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of the Sunset Hill Country Club, the Riverview Club, the Algonquin Country Club, the Missouri Athletic Association and the Chamber of Commerce. He belongs to the Presbyterian church, putting forth effective effort to maintain its work and extend its influence. He is one of the strong forces in St Louis business circles— strong in his ability to plan and perform, strong in his honor and his good name. Dependent upon his own resources from early manhood he has steadily advanced along a road that he has carved out through industry and determination and today ranks with the prosperous citizens of St. Louis, wearing worthily the proud American title of "a self-made man."
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

Charles Hertenstein, chairman of the St. Louis efficiency board and prominent in union labor circles, has exerted a wide influence over labor organisations because he is at all times absolutely square and Just. Moreover, he can see both sides of a question, and while it is his purpose to do everything in his power for the interest of his organization at the same time he deals squarely with other interested parties. It is therefore not a matter of marvel that he commands the respect of all who know him.                                                                                     
Mr. Hertenstein is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio. He was born April 15, 1872, and is a son of Frederick and Anna Elizabeth (Braun) Hertenstein. The father, now deceased, was a native of Switzerland and came to America in the '50s, settling in Cincinnati, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1881 when he was forty-eight years of age. In his active business career he was a shoe merchant and won substantial success. During the Civil war, however, he served as a soldier of the Union army, placing his duty to his country before all other interests. His wife, a native of Germany, came to the new world with her parents in girlhood and passed away in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1907, at the age of seventy-two years. Their family numbered three sons and two daughters, of whom two sons and a daughter are yet living.
Charles Hertenstein, after attending the public schools until he had mastered the work of the grades, entered the Woodward high school of Cincinnati from which he was graduated in 1890. His desire to become a professional man led him to take up the study of law in the Cincinnati Law School and in 1895 he was graduated with the LL. B. degree. The same year he was admitted to practice at the Ohio bar. Long prior to this time, however, he had provided for his own support. In fact at the age of ten years he started out to earn his own living and this he did as a newsboy. Later he began working at the printer's trade and from his earnings as a Journeyman printer he paid his way through college. He was connected with the Post Dispatch for twenty years and becoming interested in the question of labor organization he Joined the St. Louis Typographical Local Union, of which he was elected to the presidency, serving now for the twelfth term in that office. He never took up the practice of law but his knowledge thereof has been of immense benefit to him in various activities in which he has engaged as the years have gone by. In 1912 he was elected a member of the board of freeholders and served thereon for eighteen months without salary as a patriotic duty, filling the position at the time the board drafted the present city charter of St. Louis, which was adopted by a vote of the people June 30, 1914. On the 5th of September, 1916, he was appointed a member of the St. Louis efficiency board and by the board was elected chairman. He served for three years and was then again appointed by the mayor on the 6th of September, 1919, for a second three years' term and remains at the head of the board, which is doing excellent service in behalf of many public interests which come under its Jurisdiction. Mr. Hertenstein is also treasurer of the Lincoln Housing Trust, an incorporated company the object of which is to assist poor people to acquire homes on easy terms and under favorable conditions.
On the 2d of November, 1895, in St. Louis, Mr. Hertenstein was married to Miss Ida Belle Gray son, a native of Indiana and a daughter of the late William Grayson, who was a representative of one of the old families of the Hoosier state. Mr. Hertenstein belongs to Keystone Lodge No. 243, A. P. & A. M.; Bellefontaine Chapter, R. A. M.; and to Hope Lodge No. 186, K. P. He is likewise a member of the Century Boat Club and of the Riverview Club. He is most charitable and is constantly extending a helping hand wherever it is needed. He makes a very convincing speech, being able to present his cause with clearness and force. He is essentially a diplomat, possessing sound common sense, and is a a tireless worker. He can meet any problem and work it out without confusion, is thoroughly reliable and has been successful in everything that he has undertaken.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

For seventeen years Rev. Frederick G. Holweck has presided over St. Frances de Sales church of St. Louis as its pastor and through this period has accomplished great good in the organization of the work of the church and the extension of its influence among the people of his parish. Rev. Mr. Holweck was born in Wiesloch, Baden, Germany, on the 29th of December, 1856, and is a son of Sebastian and Mary Holweck, who came to the United States in 1886, settling in Ste. Genevieve county, Missouri. In 1888 they removed to St. Louis, where they resided until called to their final rest.
Frederick G. Holweck acquired his early education in Ettenheim, Germany, where he attended the Real Gymnasium, there studying for three years. He next entered the Freiburg Gymnasium, where he continued his classical course and subsequently completed the course at Karlsruhe Gymnasium in 1876. In the year 1876 he came to the United States and entered the Salesianum at St. Francis, near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, there pursuing his studies in philosophy and theology. On the 27th of June, 1880, he was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Heiss, of La Cross, Wisconsin, and following his ordination he served for a few months in the absence of the priest, at Jackson, Cape Girardeau county, Missouri. In November he was sent to Jefferson City as assistant to Father Hoog, pastor of St. Peter's church, and in April, 1883, was appointed assistant at St. Francis de Sales church in St. Louis. In August, 1884, he was assigned to the pastorate of St. Joseph's church at Louisiana, Missouri, and in December, 1885, he was sent to River aux Vases, Missouri, as pastor of SS. Philip and James parish. He remained there until July, 1888, when he returned to St. Francis de Sales church of St. Louis as assistant and remained in that position for four years. On the 27th of May, 1892, he was appointed the first pastor of St. Aloysius church and remained in that position for eleven years. On the 27th of May, 1908, he was appointed pastor of St. Francis de Sales church, over which he has since presided. For the third time he thus took up his labors in this parish and has remained its pastor for seventeen years. While in River aux Vases he built a parish house and school. At St. Aloysius he completed the church structure and built the basement for a new church. He also was instrumental in erecting a school building and a Sisters' house at that place. Since assuming his pastoral labors at St. Francis de Sales he completed the upper structure of the church, which is now one of the finest ecclesiastical edifices in the city of St. Louis, having been erected at a cost of more than three hundred thousand dollars and at a time when all building materials were much cheaper than today. He has also built the Sisters' house and in September, 1920, opened a free school in the parish which has an enrollment of about seven hundred and fifty pupils. The parish numbers twelve hundred families, this being one of the largest in the city.
St Francis de Sales' church was founded April 22, 1867, and dedicated on the 24th of May, 1868. The first pastor was Rev. Louis Lay, who officiated there from 1867 through the year of 1868. The second pastor, Rev. P. Wigger, assumed his duties in 1869 and continued his pastorate throughout the succeeding years until 1878, building the first schoolhouse and establishing the convent of the Sisters of the Precious Blood. After his death his assistant, Rev. P. I. Lotz, was appointed pastor and served from 1879 until 1903. He enlarged the church and built the second schoolhouse in 1888. On August 11, 1895, the cornerstone of the new church was laid, the plans of which were designed by E. Siebertz in Berlin, Germany, the architect being Joseph Conradi. In order to finish the basement of the church it was necessary to tear down the old church, this work being providentially done by a cyclone in the year 1896. In 1899 the new parochial residence was built. Father Lotz died May 14, 1903, and one of his former assistants, Rev. F. G. Holweck, was appointed his successor. The new residence for the Sisters was built by him in 1904, and the following year the congregation resolved to finish the upper church but the original plans being somewhat enlarged the undertaking was not resumed until April 6, 1907. The church, which is one of the largest in St. Louis, was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day in the year 1908.
Mr. Holweck is a member of St. Francis de Sales Benevolent Society, the largest Catholic benevolent society in the country. He is also president of the Married Ladies' Christian Mottoes Society, which has a membership of six hundred and thirty-two, He is likewise a member of the Western Catholic Union and the work of the church is thoroughly organized in every department and great good is being accomplished among the people of his parish, who are cooperating heartily with him in his efforts to upbuild the church and advance the Catholic cause in the city.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

James A. Hooke is filling the responsible position of director of public utilities for the city of St. Louis. He is a high-minded man of broad vision who has closely studied many important public problems and is rendering valuable service in connection with municipal affairs through the exercise of his official, duties. He was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, January 18, 1878, and is a son of James H. Hooke, a native of Virginia, where his ancestors had lived through several generations, the family being there founded in 1738 by Robert Hooke, who was one of the first Justices of Augusta county, Virginia, and who had come to this country from Ireland. He was an Englishman by birth but was a student in Dublin University prior to his emigration to the new world. Robert Hooke was a planter and slaveholder. He served in the French and Indian war of 1766 and commanded a Virginia company as captain.
James H. Hooke, father of James A. Hooke of this review, was reared and educated in Virginia and removed to Kentucky about the outbreak of the Civil war. He devoted his life to agricultural pursuits and stock raising and passed away in 1914, at the age of seventy years, his birth having occurred December 31, 1844. In early manhood he wedded Josephine Allison, a daughter of John and Alta Zera (Ferguson) Allison and a* granddaughter of Daniel Sinclair, who was a representative of one of the old pioneer families of Kentucky of Scotch descent. The mother of James A. Hooke passed away in August, 1919, at the age of sixty-six years, her birth having occurred January 9, 1853.
James A. Hooke, an only child, was educated in private schools and in the University of Missouri in which he won his Bachelor of Science degree in 1902. Following his graduation he was employed by the Chicago & Alton Railroad and during the Louisiana Purchase Exposition at St. Louis in 1904 he was an engineer on construction. He has since followed the engineering profession and in 1906 became connected with the sewer department of the city of St. Louis, thus serving until 1913, when he became sewer commissioner. Since 1914 he has been the director of public utilities and in this connection has rendered important service to the city, directing its interests and promoting its welfare through his various activities that have been a public safeguard.
On the 18th of April, 1906, in Randolph county, Missouri, Mr. Hooke was married to Miss Eleanor Lewis, a native of Missouri and a daughter of Richard E. and Elizabeth (Hutchinson) Lewis, who were residents of Howard county, this state. Her father was a son of Benjamin and Eleanor (Turner) Lewis, who were pioneers of Howard county. Richard E. Lewis has passed away, but the mother of Mrs. Hooke is still living.
Mr. Hooke belongs to the University Club, also to the Ridgedale Golf Club, to the City Club, the Century Boat Club, the Riverview Club, the Engineers Club and the Chamber of Commerce. He is a man of scholarly attainments whose vision has never been bounded by a mile radius but who looks at all vital questions from every standpoint and who in his public service has never allowed partisanship or personal welfare in any way to warp his judgment concerning the public needs, conditions and opportunities.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

Williamson Pope HowardHoward, Williamson Pope
The interests and activities in the life of Williamson Pope Howard made his an evenly balanced character for he never sacrificed developments along one line to progress in another. His keen discrimination enables him to put a Just value upon all of the interests of life, and so directed his efforts that when he passed away in. 1900, St. Louis mourned the loss of one of her representative and honored citizens. He won success but he also won the respect of his fellowmen, for at all times his course was such as would bear the closest investigation and scrutiny. A native of Virginia, he was born at Charlotteville, September 3, 1822, and he was therefore in the seventy-eighth year of his age when he passed away. He came of a family of English lineage, and in fact his ancestors belonged to the nobility of England, being of the same family as the Duke of Norfolk, having the same coat of arms. Mr. Howard, however, was a modest man, who did not prate on his royal ancestry, but felt that to be a good American citizen should be sufficient for any one. It was at an early period in the settlement of the new world that representatives of the family came to the United States, establishing homes in Maryland and Virginia.
The education of Williamson Pope Howard was largely acquired under the personal instruction of an uncle, William Pettit, a brother of Mr. Howard's mother. The latter was, in her maidenhood, Miss Virginia Sidney Rout Pettit, representative of one of the prominent families of the Old Dominion. William Pettit, the uncle, became one of the pioneer educators of Saline county, Missouri, and W. P. Howard moved to this state in early youth with his father, John Howard, the family settling in Saline county, where the boy was reared in the usual manner of a farm bred lad, utilizing every available opportunity to acquire an education, for he was ambitious to improve his mind and thus qualify for life's practical and responsible duties. He benefited thoroughly by the instruction of his uncle, and also gained many valuable lessons in the school of experience, especially concerning the work of force, of energy and of perseverance. He was nineteen years of age when occurred the death of his elder brother, who had gone to Savannah, Missouri, where he was engaged in business. Following his demise the father sent W. P. Howard to Savannah to settle up his brother's affairs and he displayed marked capability in business management there. He afterward established a general merchandise store in Savannah, where he made his home until 1857 and then came to St. Louis. Here he organized the W. P. Howard Commission Company, and conducted a business that extended throughout the state. He handled pork, tobacco and hemp, and became one of the foremost commission merchants of Missouri, at a time when practically all shipments were made by boat. When the government removed the duties from him he fought hard to kill the bill in order to protect the industry in the South. As the years passed on his commission business constantly increased in volume and importance and he handled as many as a million pounds of meat at a time. Later he confined his attention to the conduct of a wholesale bag business, which business in time passed into possession of his family. He contributed much to the business progress and development of St. Louis and won for himself a most enviable reputation by the reliability and progressiveness of his business methods. He built up his fortunes along the lines of a legitimate trade, and was a great opponent of gambling in stock or in any other form. Because of his attitude on this question he was called to Washington to speak upon the subject before the board of agriculture, for that board was planning to take steps to legislate against gambling. Mr. Howard knew from experience that straightforward business methods could win success if the required industry and sound Judgment were brought to bear upon business problems, and his clear exposition of his opinions did* not fail to make a deep impress upon the agricultural board in the national capital.
Mr. Howard was married twice. His first wife bore the maiden name of Miss Catherine Clark, and in her maidenhood was a resident of Terre Haute, Indiana. She passed away in 1860, leaving three children: Thomas Weston, now deceased; Elizabeth, the wife of Dr. R. A. Quarrels of Fairhope, Alabama; and Kate, who married Dr. Thomas A. Smith of Saline county, Missouri, and both died in 1919, leaving three daughters. In 1866 Mr. Howard was again married, Miss Mary Fisher becoming his wife and the mother of eight children, only three of whom are living; Frank F.; Adele; and Lucile, all residents of St. Louis. The daughter Adele, is the wife of David Fentres, their son Frank wedded Miss Van Cleave, who passed away leaving a daughter, Wilhelmina Van Cleave Howard.
The death of W. P. Howard occurred on the 27th of January, 1900, when he was more than seventy-seven years of age. In the review of his life one should not overlook the fact that he served as a private under the command of Doniphan in the Mexican war; that he was one of the ablest and strongest business men of St. Louis; and that he was a man of most charitable purpose and kindly disposition. He became one of the early members of the St. Louis Club, and when he passed away was the oldest member of the Merchants Exchange, in the work of which he had taken an active and helpful part. Both he and his wife belonged to the Episcopal church and Mr. Howard served as vestryman of St. John's church for many years. He contributed generously to various church organisations, however, for he was a broadminded man, who recognized the good in all. He was charitable in his opinions, kindly in his purposes and most honorable in every relation of life. He passed on to a ripe old age. His record was as the day with its morning of hope and promise, its noontide of activity, its evening of completed and successful efforts, ending in the quiet rest of the night and he passed on "as one who wraps the drapery of his couch about him and lies down to pleasant dreams."
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

Lois Christian HummelLois Christian Hummel, a St. Louis lawyer, was born at Humboldt, Nebraska, September 26, 1886, his parents being Christian L. and Josephine (Behringer) Hummel, the former a native of Allentown, Pennsylvania, and the latter of Wisconsin. The father was a son of Christian Hummel, who was the founder of the family in the new world, coming to this country from Germany, at which time he settled in Pennsylvania, while subsequently he removed to Illinois. He was an Evangelical minister and devoted his life to the work of the ministry, passing away in 1897, as the age of eighty-six years: His son, Christian L. Hummel, was married in Illinois to Josephine Behringer and to them were born six children, five sons and a daughter, all of whom are yet living.
Lois Christian Hummel, the fifth child, was educated in the country schools of Richardson county, Nebraska, and in the high school at Humboldt, that state, where he was graduated with the class of 1903. He pursued his academical course in the University of Nebraska, completing it in 1909, and then entered upon the study of law, winning his LL. B. degree in 1915, The same year he was admitted to practice and entered upon the active work of the profession in St. Louis, passing the required bar examination in this state on the 1st of December, 1916. He has since continued in general practice, his labors being uninterrupted until June, 1918, when he enlisted in the infantry of the regular army and was later transferred to Camp Taylor in the Field Artillery Central Officers Training School. Subsequently he was transferred to Camp Jackson, where he remained until the close of the war and was commissioned first lieutenant. With the exception of the period of his absence in connection with the army he has continuously given his attention to his law practice and he is a member of the St. Louis and Missouri State Bar Associations.
In his college days Mr. Hummel was much interested in athletics, especially in high Jumping, in which he excelled. Politically he is a republican but has never been an office seeker. He belongs to Sigma Nu, a college fraternity, is a member of the St. Louis Chamber of Commerce and he belongs also to the Shaw Avenue Methodist church. He has been much interested in Sunday school work, taking an active part therein prior to the time when he joined the army. Those who know him well speak of him as a man who is generous to a fault, who as a lawyer is keen and conservative and who at all times is conscientious and displays sound Judgment.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

August H. Hummert, vice president of the St. Louis Seed Company, was born in Germany, April 1, 1878. His father, Fred Hummert, came to America in 1887 and was a track market gardener of St Louis, continuing in the business to the time of his death which occurred in 1913. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Charlotte Schoneweg, was also horn in Germany and they became the parents of nine children, five sons and four daughters, all of whom are living.
August H. Hummert, the eighth in order of birth, obtained his education in the Lutheran Parochial schools of South St. Louis. When twenty-three years of age he entered the employ of Louis Mehrhoff of St. Louis in a clerical capacity, his employer being the owner of a grocery store where he remained for a short period and then accepted a position as clerk with the St. Louis Seed Company. During this period he employed his evening hours attending night school, and when thirty years of age he acquired an interest in the business. Two years later he was elected to the directorate and was also chosen vice president of the firm, in which position he has since continued and through the intervening years has been active in shaping the policy and directing the progress of the company. They handle all kinds of garden and field seeds, also poultry supplies and conduct both a wholesale and retail business, having the leading retail store of this kind in the southwest.
Mr. Hummert was united in marriage in St. Louis, October 4, 1908, to Miss Anna Eymann, a native of this city and a daughter of Rudolph and Anna Eymantf, both now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Hummert have been born two sons and a daughter: Fred, whose birth occurred August 2, 1909; Elveria, who was born November 23, 1914; and August H., Jr., born October 10, 1917. The three children are still under the parental roof at No. 938 Kings Highway Park.
Mr. Hummert is a life member 6f the National Society of American Florists, also a life member of the Missouri State Florists Club and in 1919 and 1920 was president of the St. Louis Florists Club. He is likewise a director of the Lutheran Hospital of St. Louis and has long been an active and earnest worker in the Lutheran church, serving as elder- and treasurer of Emmaus church of St. Louis. In politics he is an Independent republican, usually supporting the party yet not hesitating to exercise his own judgment in regard to political affairs. Mr. Hummert is a self-made man and whatever success he has achieved and enjoyed is attributable entirely to his own labors. Starting out in the world with a handicap of limited education and with no capital he has nevertheless worked his way steadily upward, broadening his knowledge, promoting his efficiency and gaining his objective in the business world.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

Return to

St. Louis County


Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.