Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" J "

Edgar M. Jennings was the senior member of the firm of Jennings & Cushman, conducting a general insurance business with offices in the Pierce building in St. Louis. He was born in London, England, March 20, 1886, and is a son of George C. H. Jennings, who was likewise born in London, and of Connie (Little) Jennings, also a native of the world's metropolis. They became the parents of five children, two sons and three daughters, of whom Edgar M. is the third in order of birth.
His youthful days were passed in his native country and he pursued his education in private schools at Enfleld, Middlesex and at Margate, in Kent, England. He also attended college in London and for a time was a college student in Lausanne, Switzerland. He started upon his business career when a youth of eighteen as an office boy with the Broderick & Bascom Company of St. Louis. He arrived in America in 1904, making his way direct to this city, where he immediately entered the employ of the above mentioned firm. He later became a traveling salesman for the house and subsequently entered the Third National Bank of St. Louis in a clerical capacity in order that he might gain broader business experience. He continued with the bank for a year and afterward accepted the position of manager with the Luckenbach Smokeless Furnace Company. Upon the organization of the American Automobile Insurance Company he became connected with it and was afterward made sales manager. In 1014 he entered the general insurance business under his own name and in October, 1919, formed the present partnership of Jennings ft Gushman for the conduct of a general insurance business. Mr. Jennings has recently sold out the majority of his interest in the firm of Jennings and Cushman and has not as yet embarked in, any other enterprise.
On the 23d of January, 1912, Mr. Jennings was married in St. Louis to Idas Mary Angela Broderick, a daughter of J. J. and Emelie (Kern) Broderick. They have become the parents of five children, two sons and three daughters: Maureen A., Virginia I. B., Eloise L., John Broderick and George Edgar, all natives of St. Louis.
Mr. Jennings was made an American citizen in 1918. He and his family are connected with the Roman Catholic church and he belongs to the Missouri Athletic Association, also to the Sunset Hill Country Club, the St. Louis Club and to the Chamber of Commerce. He is interested in all that makes for public progress and improvement and is a loyal supporter of many civic interests. In his business career he has made steady advancement and his success is due entirely to his own efforts and perseverance.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


George Sibley Johns, editor of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, was born in St. Charles, Missouri, on the 27th of December, 1857, his parents being John J. and Jane A. (Durfee) Johns. In the acquirement of his education he attended private grammar schools in St. Charles and later was a student in Kemper's family school at Boonville, Missouri. He then entered Princeton University from which he was graduated with the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1880 and after completing his course there devoted some time to the study of law, with a brief service on the Evening News of Philadelphia. In 1882 he turned his attention to Journalism, establishing the St. Charles Journal which he conducted as editor and proprietor until 1883. He then became a representative of newspaper interests in St. Louis by Joining the reportorial staff of the Post-Dispatch. Through the intervening period of thirty-eight years he has been identified with this paper, and two short periods with the New York World, advancing steadily through the positions of city editor, dramatic critic and managing editor to that of editor, reaching the last named position in 1898 and so continuing to the present time. The Post-Dispatch ranks as one of the leading papers of the Mississippi valley, its wide circulation being due in large measure to the interest in the editorials from the pen of Mr. Johns. Under his direction the editorial page through its independent policies became a powerful influence.
Mr. Johns has been identified with a number of interests and organizations outside of his special newspaper work. He helped to promote and made the first address at the school of Journalism at the State University. He has been a member of the St. Louis Artists Guild since its inception; has served for many years on its board of directors and was for several years its president. He is a member of the American Federation of Arts. He was chairman of the executive committee and supervised, the St. Louis exposition of arts and crafts here in November, 1919 the first general exposition of its kind held in America. He served two terms as president of the Princeton Alumni Association and was a director of the Western Association of Princeton Clubs. Under his presidency and through his efforts the building of the Artists Guild was erected. He was one of the founders and the first vice president of the St. Louis Art League and has been a member of the board of governors continuously. He was one of the organizers and a member of the board of directors of the Burns Cottage Association which erected a replica of the Burns cottage at the World's Fair with an exhibition of Burns manuscripts and relics, out of which subsequently grew the Burns Club with a permanent room in the St. Louis Artists Guild. He is vice president of the club. He has been a member of the advisory committee of the Pulitzer College of Journalism at Columbia University, New York, since the foundation of the college.
He is a member of the University, City, and Sunset Hill Golf clubs. He has a country place near St. Louis where he spends most of his leisure time, dividing his interest between amateur farming and golf.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

JOHNSTON, Charles D., librarian; born St. Louis, Mo., January 13, 1876; son John R. and Ann D. (Miller) Johnston; Scotch-English descent; educated city schools St. Louis; married Elizabeth I. Massot December 29, 1899; entered library work in St. Louis Mercantile Library October 4, 1889; held various positions and became Assistant Librarian 1897; in 1898 was appointed Librarian of Cossitt Library, Memphis, which position he still holds; author of occasional articles in newspapers and journals.
Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler


Breckinridge JonesBreckinridge Jones, president of the Mississippi Valley Trust, Company of St. Louis who has been one of the directing officers of this corporation for more than thirty years, was born in Boyle county, Kentucky, on the 2nd of October, 1856, his parents being Daniel W. and Rebecca Robertson (Dunlap) Jones. His early educational opportunities were supplemented by a course in Centre College at Danville, Kentucky, from which he was graduated with the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1875. Before entering upon the study of law he taught school for one year in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky. He then studied law for two years in the office of Colonel Thomas P. Hill of Stanford, Lincoln County, Kentucky, and was admitted to the bar in that county in 1878. In October of that year he moved to St. Louis. He attended the St. Louis Law School in the session of 1878-9 and attended the summer Law School at the University of Virginia in 1879. In the same year he opened a law office in St. Louis where he continued in practice for nine years, when by reason of the business interests of himself and a number of friends and clients he went to New Decatur, Alabama, as vice president and general manager of the Decatur Land Improvement and Furnace Company, then the largest corporation in North Alabama. After a successful reorganization of that company in 1890 Mr. Jones returned to St. Louis where he resumed law practice, but after a brief period he was elected the first secretary of the newly incorporated Mississippi Valley Trust Company. Throughout the intervening period of thirty years he has given his attention to constructive effort, executive control and legal direction of the interests of this strong financial concern of which he is now the president. In 1896 he inaugurated the movement to form a national organization of the Trust Companies of the United States and is the recognized "father of the Trust Company section" of the American Bankers Association. In 1915 he was the chairman of the commission that wrote the revision of the banking laws of Missouri, enacted that year by the general assembly.
Mr. Jones was married at Stanford, Kentucky, October 21, 1885, to Miss Frances Miller Reid and they became the parents of five children: Reid, Breckinridge, Jr., Frances Reid, Daniel W. and Mary D. The wife and mother passed away on the 13th of August, 1904. On the 21st of September, 1910, at Cazenovia, New York, Mr. Jones was married to Mrs. Sarah Brant Colwell, a representative of an old prominent St. Louis family. Three of the children of Mr. Jones also served in the World war. His eldest son, Reid Jones, was a captain in the Thirty-second Regiment of Engineers in 1917 and 191,8, while Frances Reid Jones served in vocational training work at the Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, D, C, in 1918 and Daniel W. Jones was an ensign in the United States navy. His two stepsons also served in the World war: John Charles Colwell was a captain in the United States regular army, belonging to the Fifty-eighth Infantry in 1917 and 1918; and Kent G. Col well was a first lieutenant in the Intelligence Department of the United States army in 1917 and 1918. Mr. Jones belongs to the Union Avenue Christian church. Politically he has always been a democrat and in 1882 was chosen to represent his district in the thirty-second general assembly of Missouri. He is a member of the St. Louis, Noonday, Country, Racquet, Florissant Valley, and Log Cabin Clubs. He is the treasurer of the Missouri Historical Society.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Paul JonesJones, Paul
The possibility for contributing to the welfare and improvement of a city through real estate operations has been recognized by Paul Jones from the outset of his career in this field of business and he takes a justifiable pride in putting upon the market some of the most attractive residence subdivisions of St Louis. His labors have indeed been a potent element in adding to the beauty of St. Louis and the Paul Jones Realty Company has long figured prominently in the business circles of Missouri's metropolis. Mr. Jones was born in Huntingdon, Carroll County, Tennessee, January 31, 1861. His father, Le Grande Michaux Jones, was a distinguished lawyer of western Tennessee and a soldier of the Mexican war who served as sergeant major under Colonel William T. Haskell. His mother's maiden name was Cassandra Harris Woods. She was a great-granddaughter of James Dinwiddie, a nephew of Governor Robert Dinwiddie of Virginia. In the paternal line Mr. Jones is of Welsh and French descent, and the Le Grand and Michaux families were French Huguenots who were driven to this country by the fierce persecution during the reign of Louis XIV. His maternal ancestors were Scotch and Irish. Both lines were represented in the Colonial army during the Revolutionary war.
Paul Jones attended the public schools of his native city and afterward became a student in the Peabody high school of Trenton, Tennessee. Later he was for two years a student in the Southwestern Baptist University at Jackson, Tennessee, and then entered upon the study of law in the office of his father at Trenton. At the age of twenty-three years he became clerk and master of the chancery court of the ninth judicial district of Tennessee and served in that capacity most acceptably for several years. In October, 1887, he came to St. Louis, where he entered the law office of his brother, Silas B. Jones, a leading member of the bar of this city. Ill health forced Paul Jones to abandon professional work after a. year and a half and for some time thereafter he gave his attention to the fire insurance business. In September, 1890, however, he entered the real estate field, becoming senior member of the firm of Paul Jones & Company, operations being carried on under that firm name until 1911, when the business was incorporated as the Paul Jones Realty Company. A contemporary writer has said: "Mr. Jones has aided very largely in the material development of the business centers of the city and also in the developing of the beautiful residence districts of St. Louis. Through his efforts the westward trend was started on Washington Avenue. He negotiated the purchases for the three great commercial structures situated on the southeast, northeast and northwest corners of Twelfth street and Washington avenue. One particular residence subdivision which was exclusively handled and developed by Mr. Jones was Hortense Place, known as the gem of the city. Other large and important real estate deals have been managed by him, his negotiations resulting in various realty transfers." Among the more recent subdivisions promoted by him was the Shaw tract, resulting in a million dollar sale. He has also made extensive sales in farm lands in Missouri and Arkansas and he has recently developed the Glen Echo Park, a new subdivision in St. Louis county. There are few men more thoroughly informed concerning property values in the city and state than Mr. Jones and in all that he has undertaken he has been actuated by a most progressive spirit that has brought splendid results in the development and adornment of the city as well as in the improvement of his individual fortunes.
On the 15th of April, 1895, in Chicago, was celebrated the marriage of Paul Jones and Margaret M. Humble, daughter of the late William Pickering Humble. They have four children: Paul, Jr., Margaret Cassandra, Virginia Lee and William Pickering. Paul Jones, Jr., married Miss Helen Moore Watts, daughter of Frank O. Watts, president of the First National Bank of St. Louis. The daughter, Margaret Cassandra, was married April 15, 1919, to Sherman Leland Whipple, Jr., son of Sherman L. Whipple, a very prominent and brilliant lawyer of Boston.
Mr. Jones is an earnest and active member of the Baptist church, taking an active and helpful part in the various phases of the church work. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party where national issues and questions are involved, but at local elections he casts an independent ballot. He finds much of his recreation in the game of golf and is a member of the Glen Echo Country Club. He was director of Glen Echo Country Club for many years. He has never made the attainment of wealth the sole end and aim of his life but has found time for cooperation in many of those forces which make for the uplift of the individual and the benefit of mankind. His life is actuated by a broad humanitarianism, based upon a belief in the brotherhood of mankind and the obligations thereby imposed.
He was one of the moving spirits in the "Men and Religion Movement" that had so much to do with the bringing together of the various religious denominations of the country.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Paul Jones, Jr., who is engaged in the real estate business in connection with his father in St. Louis, is one of the veterans of the World war, having been connected with the army for twenty-two months and during this period he spent one year on overseas duty in France. He was born in St. Louis, February 13, 1896, and is a son of Paul Jones, mentioned at length on another page of this work. In the acquirement of his education he attended Smith Academy from which he was graduated in 1914 and he was a student at Cornell University in 1914 and 1915. He became a member of the Psi Upsilon during his college days.
With his return to St. Louis Mr. Jones entered the real estate business in connection with his father and has shown remarkable ability in all departments of the work. He has thoroughly informed himself concerning the marketable property and valuations and has displayed excellent powers of salesmanship in negotiating real estate transfers.
At America's entrance into the World war Mr. Jones enlisted on the 14th of June, 1917, and served from June 14, 1917, with the Fifth Missouri Infantry later the One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Infantry until December, 1917, and then with the One Hundred and Tenth Field Signal Battalion of the Thirty-fifth Division. He was on duty in France for a year and was stationed on the Vosges sector in Alsace from the 2d of July until the 31st of August, 1918. He was then in the Meuse-Argonne drive from the 26th of September until the 1st of October and in the St. Mihiel offensive from September 12th to the 17th. On the 16th of October he was sent into the Verdun sector and was there engaged on active duty until the 5th of November. He was promoted to sergeant of the first class in the Signal Corps and was twice mentioned for promotion to commissioned rank. He saw much of the hardest fighting in which the American troops engaged and there was no more brilliant nor more sanguinary engagement than that of the Meuse Argonne, in which he took part, thus aiding in writing a glory page into American history. He received his discharge May 9, 1919, after which he returned home and resumed his. place in the business circles of St. Louis as associate of his father.
On the 16th of May, 1919, Mr. Jones was married to Miss Helen Moore Watts, a daughter of P. O. Watts, mentioned elsewhere in this work. He belongs to the Glen Echo Golf Club and he and his wife occupy an enviable position in the younger social circles of St. Louis.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.