Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" K "

Frank Edgar Kauffman, president of the Bernet, Craft & Kauffman Milling Company of St. Louis, is one of the progressive and substantial citizens Ohio has furnished to Missouri, his birth having occurred in the former state April 6, 1852. His father, Jacob Kauffman, who died in 1916, was born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, February 23, 1823, and when eight years of age was taken by his parents to Dayton. In his youthful days he was reared upon a farm and afterward taught a country school in which he had formerly been a pupil. In 1855 he removed to Iowa and was engaged in horticultural pursuits in Mt. Pleasant for about four years, after which he began farming in that community. He raised a company for service in the Civil war, but was rejected because of weakness in his ankle which prevented him from walking freely. He was a citizen of worth in his community, serving for about fifteen years as supervisor of Henry county, Iowa, and for two terms in the Iowa legislature—from 1875 until 1879. While R. B. Hayes was president of the United States Mr. Kauffman was recommended by General Fisk as Indian agent and after his appointment to the position was stationed at Fort Berthold, North Dakota, where he had supervision of nearly three thousand Indians and at the end of his term he was so popular and beloved by his wards that the Indians besought "the Great White Father" In Washington to let him remain there. But the political map had changed and a democrat was appointed by President Cleveland to succeed him. He was the first agent, however, to give the Indians really practical instruction in farming and his influence has not yet died out. He was not only a capable farmer but was very conscientious in all that he did. After leaving the agency he went to Illinois, where he became superintendent of the Kauffman Milling Company, of which his brother and Frank Edgar Kauffman were the owners. There he remained until 1891 when he removed to St. Louis and retired from business. He was a lifelong and consistent member of the Methodist church and during his younger years was very active in Mason.
It has been said that to understand thoroughly any individual one must know something about his ancestry, and the Kauffmans came of an Alsatian line of Huguenots. After living through the religious prosecutions which had their climax in the great massacre of St. Bartholomew's Day in 1681, the Kauffmans were forced, with many others, to seek refuge in Switzerland. They had suffered terribly from confiscation measures and assassination. A colony was formed in Switzerland to settle on the Canestoga river in Pennsylvania. The Kauffmans joined this colony and for the first time in one hundred and fifty years the family rested where it could safely enjoy its religious beliefs. In 1716, Isaac Kauffman is known to have been living where Lancaster, Pennsylvania, now stands. He became a naturalized English subject in 1717. In 1718 he married Ann Neff, who belonged to the same family as the wife of Jacob Kauffman. In 1729 General Gordon, in speaking of the Kauffmans and the Neffs said, "It appears to me that they have behaved themselves well, and have generally so good a character for honesty and industry as to deserve the esteem of this government and some mark of regard." The ancestral line can be traced with absolute accuracy from this Isaac Kauffman of Lancaster.
The mother of Frank Edgar Kauffman bore the maiden name of Sarah Neff and was a daughter of Benjamin and Sarah (Daniels) Neff, the latter a daughter of Thomas Daniels, who served through the Revolutionary war under the immediate command of General Washington and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis. Mr. Daniels' father served under General Wolfe at Quebec and participated in the battle of the Plains of Abraham. Sarah Neff was born in 1828 and died in 1915.
The early education of Frank Edgar Kauffman was obtained in the public schools of Henry county, Iowa, and later he attended the Iowa Wesleyan University, becoming a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity during his college days. He taught school in Iowa and Illinois for two years before attaining his majority and in 1878 became a resident of St. Louis where he entered the employ of the milling firm of E. O. Stanard & Company, the senior member being a relative and at one time lieutenant governor of Missouri, while for two terms he represented his district in congress. After a year and a halt in the office Mr. Kauffman was sent on the road as traveling salesman and on his triA covered nearly the entire country. He was stationed at New York and was a member of the New York Produce Exchange from 1879 until 1884. In the latter year he became associated with his uncle, John W. Kauffman, a partner of Mr. Stanard's, in organizing the Kauffman Milling Company with offices in St. Louis, and mills in this city and in Illinois. He was vice president of the company until 1896 and was president until 1902, when the corporation Joined with the firm of Bernet & Craft, thus incorporating the Bernet, Craft & Kauffman Milling Company, with a capital stock of four hundred thousand dollars and through the intervening period Mr. Kauffman has been president of the company, which today controls one of the important milling interests of the state. The business has been developed to large proportions and has long since become a most remunerative enterprise.
On the 15th of October, 1879, Mr. Kauffman was married to Miss Kate Garrettson, a daughter of G. A. Garrettson, a banker of Muscatine, Iowa. She died in 1891 leaving a daughter, Myrle, who is the wife of Daniel A. Hill, the president of the Western Advertising Company of St. Louis, and a resident of Webster Groves. On the 12th of January, 1899, Mr. Kauffman married Nelle Dunham, a daughter of John S. Dunham, an old citizen of St. Louis, who was a lineal descendant of Sir John Dunham of Dunham on the Trent, England, who Joined the Dissenters and left England on the Mayflower under an assumed name to escape the importunities of his parents. The Dunhams trace their ancestry back to the Pilgrims through several different lines. Two children have been born of the second marriage of Mr. Kauffman: Frank Edgar, who was born in 1900, attended the Hill school in Pennsylvania, was a student at Smith Academy of St. Louis and later at the Jackson Academy of St. Louis. When America entered the World war he enlisted in the navy and was in the Ensign School at Chicago and New York, but was not called upon for active sea service. He is now in business with his father. The daughter, Emily Dunham, was a student at Mary Institute, and after putting aside her textbooks traveled with her mother in the Orient in 1920.
Mr. Kauffman was at one time a member of Company A of the Missouri National Guard, a St. Louis organization. During the war period Mr. and Mrs. Kauffman were extremely active in promoting entertainment for the soldiers. Mrs. Kauffman gave practically all of her time to the cause. She was chairman for St. Louis county in the Y. M. C. A. drive. Mr. Kauffman was chairman of the Armenian and Syrian Relief Society of St. Louis for two years. This society raised four hundred thousand dollars.
In politics Mr. Kauffman is a republican and his religious faith is indicated in his membership in the Grace Methodist Episcopal church. Fraternally he is a member of the Tuscan Lodge, No. 360, A. F. & A. M.; St. Louis Chapter, R. A. M.; St. Aldermar Commandery, K. T.; and the Missouri Consistory, in which he has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite. In 1884 he joined the Merchants Exchange of St. Louis, of which he has served as vice president and director for three years. He was chairman of the committee having in charge the mixed flour law. He first called a meeting of millers and informed them as to the adulteration that was going on in the flour business and they looked to him to see that a proper law was passed. He drew up the law which was passed by congress and is still on the statute books of the country. To him more than to any one else is due the credit for the passage of this law. His life has ever been characterized by high principles and worthy motives, and his entire life has been in accordance with the record of an honorable ancestry.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

KAVANAUGH, L.T., sand merchant; born St. Louis, Mo., August 8, 1864; son R.P. and Sarah (Talbot) Kavanaugh; educated Fulton, Mo.; married Alice D. Markham April 11, 1888; member Elks; Democrat.
Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler

George Henry Kemmerer, district manager of truck tire sales with the Good-year Tire & Rubber Company of St. Louis, was born in this city September 23, 1891. His father, the late Charles R. Kemmerer, was a native of Pennsylvania and a representative of one of the old families of that state. He came to Missouri in early life and was successfully engaged in business as a wholesale and retail dealer in cigars. He married Ida Victoria Tool, who was likewise born in the Keystone state, where her ancestors had lived through several generations. The death of Mr. Kemmerer occurred in 1907, when he had reached the age of forty-nine years. The mother is still living and now makes her home at Maplewood, Missouri. In the family were eight children, four sons and four daughters, of whom George H. was the third in order of birth.
After acquiring his education in the public schools of St. Louis, George H. Kemmerer started out to earn his own living when a youth of sixteen years and was first employed by the Pullman Sleeping Car Company, continuing with that corporation until 1909. In the latter year he entered the service of the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company in a clerical capacity and was later advanced to the position of salesman, while his next promotion made him sales supervisor and then in turn he became assistant branch manager, district department manager and is the present district manager of truck tire sales, having advanced' through the steps of an orderly progression and through various departments to his present position of trust and responsibility.
On the 16th of September, 1914, in St. Louis, Mr. Kemmerer was married to Miss Ruth Blair, a native of this city and a daughter of John and Paulina (Barnes) Blair, the former now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Kemmerer have a daughter, Ruth Jane, born October 11, 1915. Mr. Kemmerer belongs to Mount Moriah Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and in politics he maintains an independent course, voting according to the dictates of his Judgment. During the war period he took a most active part in promoting the loan drives and at all times he is a public-spirited and progressive citizen, cooperating in all plans and measures for the general good.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Samuel M. Kennard, deceased, was at the head of the J. Kennard & Sons Carpet Company of St. Louis and otherwise prominently identified with important business corporations of the city. He was born in Lexington, Kentucky, in January, 1842, a son of John and Catherine (Fishburn) Kennard. He acquired his education in the public schools of his native city and when fifteen years of age came to St. Louis in 1857 with his father who established a carpet business. The son became the assistant of his father in this enterprise and as he advanced in years continually, became more and more efficient in the management and control of interests connected with the carpet trade. The business was developed to extensive proportions, becoming one of the foremost commercial interests of St. Louis. At the outbreak of the Civil war, however, Samuel M. Kennard put aside business considerations and joined the Confederate army as a member of Landis' Battery, attached to Cockrell's Brigade. He saw active service in Mississippi, especially around Vicksburg, in 1863, and the command was surrendered to Grant when Vicksburg fell. He remained a prisoner of war until exchanged and afterward was promoted lieutenant in Landis' and Guiboir's Batteries, which were consolidated. He commanded a section of the battery at the battle of Franklin, Tennessee, October 30, 1864, under' Alexander P. Stewart, and during the last six months of the war was with General Hood's army in Georgia and Tennessee as aide-de-camp to General N. B. Forrest.
Upon his return to St Louis in 1865 Mr. Kennard was admitted to a partnership in the carpet business which had been established by his father, the firm style of John Kennard & Sons being then assumed. He more and more largely took upon himself responsibilities connected with the management of this mammoth concern and upon the death of his father in November, 1872, when the business was incorporated under the name of the' J. Kennard & Sons Carpet Company, he became president and at the time of his death was serving as chairman of the board. He possessed in large measure that quality which for want of a better term has been called commercial sense. He was ever a close student of trade conditions and of the market as affecting the carpet business and his keen sagacity and ability to discriminate between the essential and the nonessential in business affairs brought to his house a most substanial measure of success. As the years passed he extended his connections into other fields, becoming a director of the National Bank of Commerce, also of the Commonwealth Trust Company and a trustee of the Barnes estate. He likewise assisted in building the new Planters hotel in 1894.
In St. Louis, in 1867, Mr. Kennard was married to Miss Annie R. Maude and they became the parents of six children: John B.; Sa'Lees; Annie M., the wife of J. H. Brookmire; Mary R., the wife of H. B. Wallace; Samuel M.; and Richard S. Mrs. Kennard occupies one of the finest homes in St. Louis at No. 4 Portland place and also has an attractive summer residence at Magnolia, Massachusetts.
Mr. Kennard was keenly interested in the welfare of St. Louis and cooperated ' most earnestly and heartily in all projects for the upbuilding and benefit of the city. To this end he became one of the organizers of the St. Louis Exposition and for twelve years was president of the Exposition Company. He was also president at the first meeting of the Autumnal Festivities Association, introducing the Veiled Prophet's celebration in 1891. This has become one of the most important social features of St. Louis and is the means of bringing thousands of visitors to the city every year, thus making known the city's resources and greatly promoting its commercial activities. Mr. Kennard became the vice president of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Company and was the first president of the Business Men's League. He was thus most active and prominent in promoting the great projects which have had to do with the development and upbuilding of St. Louis and the effect of his labors is immeasurable. His political allegiance was given to the democratic party. He belonged to the Confederate Veterans and in 1897-8 was brigadier general of the Missouri Division. He became one of the organizers of the Mercantile Club of St. Louis and also held membership with the Commercial, St. Louis, and St. Louis Country Club. His religious faith was manifest in his membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and at his death his estate was generously shared with eight different charitable organizations and institutions, to which he made liberal bequests. Quietly and without ostentation, he was continually giving for the benefit of his fellowmen through organized benevolences or through individuals and his hand was ever reaching down to those less fortunate than himself that he might aid them to rise to a higher level. He was a man whom the world respected and honored, while those who came within the circle of his close acquaintance greatly prized his friendship.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Gussie Viron Kenton, city editor of the St. Louis Star, the major part of his life having been devoted to journalistic labors since his graduation from the University of Missouri, was born in Miles Point, Carroll county, Missouri, February 19, 1885. The father, William P. Kenton, now living at Lee's Summit, Missouri, is a farmer by occupation. He, too, was born in Carroll county, and is a son of John Kenton who came to Missouri from Ohio long prior to the Civil war, and who was a descendant of Simon Kenton, the famous Indian fighter. Simon Kenton was a close personal friend of Daniel Boone. The town of Kenton, Ohio, and Kenton, Missouri, are both named in honor of this family, which is of English descent. William P. Kenton was united in marriage to Maria Belle Freeman, who is a daughter of James F. Freeman, one of the pioneers of Carroll county, who at an early day had extensive holdings of land and of slaves. The father, James F., Sr., also came from Ohio, and the Freemans are descended from the Dutch family of Van Rensselaers of New Amsterdam, now New York. James Freeman, father of Mrs. Kenton, served as a Union soldier in the Civil war.
Gussie Viron Kehton pursued his early education in the country schools near his father's home, which he attended to the age of sixteen years and then became a member of the class of 1905 at the high school of Richmond, Missouri. Following his graduation he taught country schools for a year in Ray county, and then entered the University of Missouri in which he pursued an academic course and also studied in the school of journalism, winning his Bachelor of Science degree in 1910 from the department of Journalism. He was in the second class to graduate from the department, and during his college days became a member of the Kappa Tau Alpha, an honorary fraternity. Following his graduation he made a tour of Missouri for the board of Industrial commissioners in connection with other graduates of the school of journalism, writing up the interesting features of the state. Afterward the seven graduates of the class were employed by the St. Louis Star in obtaining information for a state almanac. This required about three months, after which Mr. Kenton was given a position as reporter on the St. Louis Star. He spent two months in that way at the end of which time he was promoted to assistant editor of the fast mail edition of the Star. After serving in that capacity for a year he was made telegraph editor, and later assistant Sunday editor and head of the copy desk. In fact he filled nearly every position on the paper prior to 1918 when he was promoted to city editor of the Star, and is today connected with the paper in that capacity. '
On the 23d of November, 1911, Mr. Kenton was married to Miss Lillian Ortwerth, a daughter of Conrad Ortwerth, a cabinetmaker of St. Louis who died in 1912. He and his wife, Katheryn Kuhr, were born, reared and married in Germany and about 1884 settled in St. Louis. Mr. and Mrs. Kenton have become parents of a son, William Penn Kenton, born April 28, 1919. Mr. Kenton is a democrat In his political views. He has no club or fraternal relations, for his duties in the field of Journalism practically occupy all of his time. His professional course has been marked by steady progress that has brought him forward until he is now a prominent figure in journalistic circles in the middle Mississippi valley.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


William Briscoe Kinealy, enjoying high standing as a member of the St. Louis bar, practicing as a partner in the firm of Kinealy & Kinealy, with offices in the Central National Bank building, was born in St. Louis, November 15, 1871, in the house which is still his place of residence. His father, Michael Kinealy, was a native of Ireland and when twenty-three years of age came to the United States. He was a man of liberal education who was graduated from Queen's University as a civil engineer, while later he took up the study of law, was admitted to the bar and for many years successfully engaged in practice in St. Louis, where he passed away in 1911. In early manhood he had wedded Sarah Jane Briscoe, a native of Missouri, who survived him for about seven years, her death occurring in 1918. In the family were five children, of whom three are living.
William B. Kinealy after attending the public schools of St. Louis was graduated from the Manual Training high school and then entered Washington University at St. Louis. He read law in the office and under the direction of his father and in 1899 was admitted to practice at the St. Louis bar, where he has since continued. He is associated with James R. Kinealy, his brother, under the firm style of Kinealy & Kinealy, and for many years they have occupied an enviable position among the lawyers of St. Louis. This is due to no unusual qualities but has resulted from that close application and earnest study which must always feature in legal success. His mind is naturally analytical, logical and inductive and his reasoning is always clear and convincing. He finds his recreation largely in the development and improvement of a ten acre farm near St. Louis and the joy in country life in him constitutes the balance to his professional activity.
In 1904 Mr. Kinealy was married to Miss Lily Marie Coale, of St. Louis. His religious faith is that of the Catholic church, his membership being with Corpus Christi parish. In politics he is a democrat, but the honors and emoluments of office have had no attraction for him, as he has always preferred to concentrate his efforts and attention upon his professional interests.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Dr. Alfred
                  Byron KingKing, Dr. Alfred Byron
Missouri is the home of osteopathic practice. The original school for instruction in this science was located within the borders of the state and many of the most successful practitioners have found their opportunity in the cities of this commonwealth. Among this number is Dr. Alfred Bryon King, a most capable osteopathic practitioner of St. Louis. He was born July 4, 1862, at Kittanning, Pennsylvania, and is descended from English ancestry, the family having been founded in America in the early part of the seventeenth century, the great-great-grandfather of Dr. King settling near Philadelphia when he arrived in the new world from England. Several generations of the family remained in Pennsylvania and in 1870 the parents of Dr. King removed to Iowa, where he attended the high school at College Springs. He later became a student in Amity College from which he was graduated with the Bachelor of Science degree in 1883. He initiated his business career as a clerk in a retail dry goods store in Rapid City, South Dakota, and after three years thus spent went to Sturgis, South Dakota. In 1887 he removed to Omaha, Nebraska, and occupied a clerical position with the McCord-Brady Company, wholesale grocers, with whom he continued until he turned from commercial pursuits to take up the study of osteopathy.
Dr. King was planning at that time to become a medical practitioner and he directed his reading toward that end, but on account of some' difficulty with his eyes during his senior year at college he was warned not to attempt a medical course until later. For this reason he entered the commercial field wherein he continued until his health failed, and being benefited by osteopathic treatments determined to enter upon the study of osteopathy and matriculated in Still College at Des Moines, Iowa, winning his degree upon the completion of his course there in 1901. He has since successfully practiced in St. Louis and is a member of the National Osteopathic Association and the St. Louis Osteopathic Association and has served as a director of the latter, while of the Missouri State Osteopathic Association he is the vice president. He is also a charter member of the Optimist Club, of which he is the treasurer, and in 1920 was a member of the house of delegates of the American Osteopathic Association. He is a member of the Iota Tau Sigma fraternity and his social qualities make him popular wherever he is known. He belongs to the First United Presbyterian church and while his attention is chiefly given to his professional duties which he discharges with a sense of conscientious obligation, he never neglects the other interests of life that go to make a well balanced character. During the war period he served in the publicity department.
On the 13th of October, 1892, at Dorchester, Nebraska, Dr. King was married to Miss Lora Maud Kepler and they have one child, Louise King, who was married may 25, 1917, to Robert E. Zipp Prodt. Mr. and Mrs. Zipp Prodt have a son, Robert King, whose birth occurred November 13, 1918. Dr. King finds his chief sources of recreation in golf, fishing and motoring and enjoys an enviable position in social as well as professional circles of his adopted city.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


George Kingsland, real estate officer of the Mississippi Valley Trust Company, was born in St. Louis, March 31, 1857. His father, George Kingsland, was a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and the son of Laurence Kingsland, who built and operated the first iron foundry in Pittsburgh. George Kingsland, Sr., came to St. Louis in 1834 and represented his father's interests here. Later he founded the firm of Kingsland & Ferguson in 1844, thus establishing a business which was successfully maintained until 1900. The father, however, passed away in 1874. He was not only prominent in the business development of St. Louis but also was an active and influential member of the Presbyterian church. He married Eliza A. Ferguson, a daughter of David Ferguson. Mrs. Kingsland became the mother of eleven children but only three are now living, the son George being the tenth in order of birth. The mother passed away March 12, 1898.
At the usual age George Kingsland became a public school pupil in St. Louis and afterward attended the Morton University. He started out in the business world with the Graff-Bennett Company, owners of iron mills, and thus continued until 1882. He then organized and established the Central Union Brass Company and successfully operated under that name until the time when he entered upon active association with the Mississippi Valley Trust Company in 1907. His position as real estate officer is a very important one, as he passes upon all loans made by the company and also has supervision of much real estate for non-resident patrons of the bank. He travels widely in connection with this work in all parts of the United States and has thus become thoroughly familiar with real estate conditions in various sections of the country.
In 1882 Mr. Kingsland was married to Miss Martha A. Chappell, a daughter of John T. and Martha (Alexander) Chappell, the former a native of Baltimore, Maryland, and the latter of Philadelphia. Mr. and Mrs. Kingsland have three children: Lawrence C, an attorney of St. Louis; George Dudley, a member of Kingsland-Rawlings, Incorporated, of St. Louis; and Martha, who is at home. The religious faith of the family is indicated in their membership in the Kingsland Memorial Presbyterian church. Mr. Kingsland is very fond of reading and keeps always in close touch with current events and vital questions and issues of the day. He was formerly a member of a number of leading clubs of St. Louis but has neither time nor inclination for club life at present, devoting his leisure to the interests of his family. He is a man of most courteous demeanor, approachable and at all times having the faculty of placing those in his presence at ease. He has become recognized as an expert on realty and loan values and his life of intense and intelligently directed activity has brought him to a place of prominence in business circles.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Kinsella, William J. Jr.
Throughout his entire business career, William J. Kinsella, Jr., has been identified with the coffee and spice trade and, steadily working his way upward as a result of his developing powers and increasing business ability, he is now the president of the Hanley & Kinsella Spice Company of St. Louis. He is a native son of this city, born September 18, 1881, his father being William J. Kinsella, Sr., who was prominently known for many years as a merchant and manufacturer of St. Louis. He was born in Carlow, Ireland, June 9, 1846, a son of Patrick and Ellen (Keating) Kinsella, the former a leading architect of Ireland. The son attended St. Patrick's College at Carlow and started upon his business career in the wholesale house of A. P. McDonald & Company of Dublin, Ireland. He was employed in his native land to the age of nineteen years, when he crossed the Atlantic and sought a position in the large mercantile house of A. T. Stewart of New York. There was no position suitable to his ability that was vacant at the time so he began wrapping parcels but not long afterward obtained a better position with Hamilton, Easter & Sons of Baltimore, Maryland. In 1870 he established a grocery business in Cleveland, Ohio, in company with his brother Edward J. Kinsella, and in the year 1874, William J. Kinsella removed to St. Louis, where he entered the employ of Porter, Worthington & Company. He was later offered a position as business manager of the St. Louis office of the Kingsford Oswego Starch Company, and he displayed such ability that he drew the attention of the Thompson-Taylor Spice Company of Chicago and in 1879 was placed in charge of their St. Louis business. Two years later he purchased the business and in 1881 organized the firm of William J. Kinsella & Company, developing a mammoth trade as the years passed. In 1886 the business was incorporated under the name of the Hanley & Kinsella Spice Company with a capital stock of two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, Mr. Kinsella becoming president and treasurer of the corporation. In time the firm's two large factories covered an entire block on Spruce street and contained a floor space of one hundred and twenty thousand square feet, while the annual sales amounted to a million and a half dollars, their trade extending throughout the entire west and southwest, making St. Louis one of the leading spice markets of the world. The business ability, the sound judgment and unfaltering energy of Mr. Kinsella were the effective forces which brought about the desired result, and for a long period he occupied a prominent position among the leading business men of St. Louis. He was, moreover, a most public-spirited citizen and gave his hearty aid and cooperation to all movements for the general good. He was likewise president and vice president of the Western Commercial Travelers Association and belonged to the Associated Wholesale Grocers & Business Men's League, to the Mercantile, Noonday and St. Louis Clubs, to the Royal Arcanum, to the Knights of St. Patrick and to the Latin-American Club, of which he was vice president. Aside from his coffee and spice business he became interested in banking and was a director of both the Mechanics National Bank and the Mercantile Trust Company. He became one of the directors of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition and was appointed chairman of the committee of mines and metallurgy and a member of the ways and means committee. It was said of him that he possessed marked characteristics which commanded the respect of his fellowmen, combining a dignified manner with a simplicity and personal magnetism which won him a large circle of friends. In 1880 he married Nellie M. Hanley, a daughter of Lawrence Hanley of New York city, and they became parents of two sons and a daughter: William J., Dalton L. and Ella Marie. The death of the father occurred in 1918.
The elder son, William J. Kinsella, Jr., was educated in the St. Louis University and in the Notre Dame University at South Bend, Indiana, from which he was graduated in 1900. He then began learning the coffee and spice business in connection with the firm of which his father was the head and worked his way upward through various positions eventually becoming superintendent, later vice president and in 1918, upon the death of his father, he was elected to the presidency. During the World war period the plant was a government licensed plant, furnishing supplies for the army and navy for the United States and for overseas.
In 1908 Mr. Kinzella Vas married in Chicago to Miss Majorie Meacham, a daughter of F. D. Meacham of that city. They are members of the Catholic church, attending services at the cathedral. In politics Mr. Kinsella maintains an independent course, voting according to the dictates of his Judgment, and in all matters of citizenship his attitude is a progressive one, for he is interested in all that pertains to the city's welfare and progress. At the same time he has made an excellent record as a forceful and resourceful business man, one of whom by reason of innate powers and developing ability has reached a prominent position, whereby St. Louis has become one of the greatest spice and coffee markets in the country.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Daniel
                  Noyes KirbyDaniel Noyes Kirby, connected with the legal profession as an educator as well as a practitioner at the bar, being a partner in the prominent firm of Nagel & Kirby of St Louis, was born in Lyme, Connecticut, August 22, 1864, his parents being Elias Burgess and Caroline L. (Noyes) Kirby. The father was born in Middletown, Connecticut, and in early manhood came to St. Louis, where the years chronicled his progress until he reached a position among the prominent merchants of the city. He was a member of a firm prominent in Civil war days, that of Collins, Kellogg ft Kirby. He was also one of the founders of the St. Louis Merchants Exchange and he passed away in 1898. His wife, who was born in Lyme, Connecticut, died in 1917. They were the parents of six sons, three of whom are living.
Daniel N. Kirby, who was the third in order of birth in the family, obtained a public school education, passing through the Central high school of St. Louis. He next entered Washington University as a law student and was graduated there in 1886 with the LL. B. degree. He was admitted to the bar upon passing the required examination in 1887, and after another year's study was graduated from the Law School in 1888. In that year he entered the office of Mr. Nagel, a well known attorney, as assistant, and later was admitted to a partnership under the firm style of Nagel & Kirby. A change in the personnel afterward led to the adoption of the firm name of Finkelnburg, Nagel & Kirby and following the elevation of Judge Finkelnburg to the bench, a new firm was formed under the style of Nagel ft Kirby, the partners being Charles Nagel, D. N. Kirby, G. F. Decker, A. C. Orrick and A. B. Shepley. They specialize in corporation and commercial law and Mr. Kirby has gained comprehensive knowledge of these branches of the profession, which he has concentrated his efforts and attention. He is a prominent figure in the St. Louis and Missouri State Bar Associations and is also widely and favorably known in the American Bar Association. He is ever careful to conform his practice to the highest professional ethics and standards and he enjoys in an unusual degree the respect and confidence of his professional colleagues and contemporaries. He was for a number of years lecturer before the St. Louis Law School on agency and constitutional law, and lecturer before the Washington University Medical School on medical Jurisprudence. He has remained throughout the whole of his professional career a most earnest and discriminating student and hard worker and upon these qualities has been built his splendid success.
Mr. Kirby is a member of the Second Presbyterian church and he belongs to the Noonday, University, Bogey and Florissant Valley Country Clubs, the City Club, and also to the University Club of New York. His political allegiance is given the republican party but he has never sought advancement along that line, content to concentrate his efforts and attention upon his professional interests, which have constantly developed in volume and importance.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


William N. Kletzker, the president of the Central Engraving Company of St. Louis, of which city he is a native son, was born August 6, 1885, his parents being Albert J. and Elizabeth M. (Buhman) Kletzker, the latter also a native of Missouri. The father started out in the business world in connection with the Levison-Blythe Stationery Company and worked his way steadily upward until he was admitted to a partnership in the business. Subsequently he was proprietor of the St. Louis Engraving Company, a, co-partnership, and remained with the firm to the time of his death, which occurred on the 13th of May, 1908. His widow survives and is yet a resident of St. Louis. There were four children in their family, three sons and a daughter, all of whom are living in this city, namely: George S., secretary and treasurer of the Central. Engraving Company, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work; Wallace J. Kletzker, vice president of the Central Engraving Company; and Etta, who is now making her home in Oakland, California.
The other member of the family is William N. Kletzker of this review who is indebted to parochial and public schools of St. Louis for the educational opportunities which he enjoyed and which fitted him for life's practical and responsible duties. He started out in the business world in the employ of the St. Louis Engraving Company, with which firm his father was connected. His original position consisted of office work but gradually he worked his way upward, winning advancement by reason of his fidelity, capability and willingness to work. He remained with this firm up to the time of his father's death in 1908 and then organized the Central Engraving Company of which he became the president, so continuing throughout the intervening years. The company does photo engraving, half-tones, zinc etching, and three and four color process work, also illustrating and art work. The firm is now well established in business receiving a liberal patronage: Mr. Kletzker has figured in the business circles of St. Louis for thirteen years as head of one of its growing enterprises and is widely and favorably known throughout the city and surrounding country. The company occupies nearly all of the fourth floor of the Calumet building. The offices and work-rooms are well equipped with everything necessary for carrying on a progressive engraving business, and an average of twenty-four clerks and skilled engravers and workmen are employed.
On the 14th of November, 1914, in Springfield, Illinois, Mr. Kletiker was married to Miss Agnes Bushek, a daughter of James Bushek of St. Louis who has now retired from active business. Mr. and Mrs. Kletzker have but one child, a sweet and winning little daughter, Virginia, two years of age. Mr. Kletzker is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, Advertising Club, Kiwanis Club, Missouri Athletic Club and St. Louis Art League. Throughout his entire life he has been connected with the engraving business and the thoroughness with which he has undertaken his work has brought about a degree of skill and efficiency that places him, in a most creditable and enviable position among the leading engravers of the city.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Kliefoth, William A.
Commercial interests of St. Louis find a worthy representative in William A. Kliefoth who is now the vice president of the Amos-James Grocery company. He has been a lifelong resident of this city, his birth having here occurred December 7, 1878, his parents being William and Wilhelmina (Grimminger) Kliefoth. The father was born in Germany and came to St. Louis in 1856. Here he engaged in the newspaper business in connection with the Westliche Post, a German paper, and remained an active factor in newspaper circles to the time of his death, which occurred in 1881. His wife, who was also born in Germany, crossed the Atlantic to the new world in 1864 in company with her parents and died a half century later, departing this life in 1904.
William A. Kliefoth obtained a public school education but early put aside his text-books in order to earn his living. He has worked his way upward through various positions with a number of different firms and is now the Tice president of the Amos-James Grocery company, so that he is well known in commercial circles. He has used his time and talents wisely and well and has neglected no opportunity that has presented itself tor advancement. In addition to his interests in St. Louis he is the vice president of the Bement Rea company of Terre Haute, Indiana, and also a director of the Bement & Seitz company of Evansville, Indiana.
On the 17th of January, 1904, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Mr. Kliefoth was married to Miss Martha A. Kuhl, formerly of St. Louis, Missouri, and a daughter of Ernest Kuhl, who was in the government service. Mr. and Mrs. Kliefoth have one son, William E., who was born August 29, 1911.
Mr. Kliefoth belongs to the Chamber of Commerce of St. Louis and also to the United States Chamber of' Commerce. During the World war he was connected with the inspection department- of the food administration and was a most generous supporter of the Liberty loan and Red Cross campaigns. He belongs to the Sunset Hill Country Club, the Missouri Athletic Association and the Century Boat Club and in politics his position is that of an independent republican. There have been no unusual, no spectacular and no esoteric phases in his career. His record is that of a substantial business man who has pursued the even tenor of his way, who has by diligence and determination won success; and the same course, followed by others, would produce like results. It is such a course that makes substantial citizens who constitute the real foundation upon which is built the progress and future prosperity of city and state.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Samuel Kober, vice president and secretary of the Harris-Kober Diamond Importing Company of St. Louis, was born August 28, 1877, in the city which is still his home, his parents being Louis and Minnie (Seelig) Kober. The father was a resident of St. Louis during the greater part of his life, having come to this city when a mere lad from Breslau, Germany, during an early emigration of people of his nationality to the new world and never did he have desire to return. He was engaged in the cigar business and for a number of years was with the F. R. Rice Cigar Company of St. Louis, remaining with that house for about two decades or up to the time of his demise. To him and his wife were born four children.
Samuel Kober, the eldest of the family, was educated in the public schools of St. Louis and was graduated from the high school with the class of 1896. After his textbooks were put aside he made his first step in the business world in connection with dairying and won a reputation for furnishing good milk to his fellow townsmen. He was for several years with the well known Hopson Dairy Company, a business that was afterward taken over by the City Dairy Company. The Grafeman Dairy Company was also consolidated with the Hopson Dairy Company. Mr. Kober continued his connection with this business for about six years and then accepted an appointment in the St. Louis post office as one of the distributing clerks. There he continued for five years, at the end of which time he formed a partnership with E. F. Maritz for the conduct of a wholesale Jewelry business. This association was maintained for five years, in which period Mr. Kober learned all the practical phases of the Jewelry trade. He has now been associated for ten years with L. K. Harris with whom he has been close friends since early childhood, under the firm style of the Harris-Kober Diamond Importing Company, of which he is the vice president and secretary. They handle unset diamonds and are the largest exclusive diamond dealers of the middle west. Their trade covers the entire west and middle west and they do an extensive business. They are most progressive merchants and one of Mr. Kober's unique methods of advertising is to employ what appears to be a playing card the reverse side of which shows the king of diamonds, the face of the "king," however, being that of Mr. Kober. He is continually putting forth original methods in behalf of the development of the trade and the house has enjoyed substantial success from the beginning.
In St Louis, in 1907, Mr. Kober was married to Miss Myra Arnold, a daughter of S. J. Arnold, one of the oldest residents of St Louis, who was connected for a number of years with municipal affairs as tax collector and who became one of the best known men of the city. He arrived here from Reading, Pennsylvania, during the Civil war. He was a member of the federal army and participated in a number of battles before being wounded in the hotly contested engagement at Gettysburg. Mr. and Mrs. Kober reside at No. 5789 Westminster placid in St Louis. He belongs to the Masonic order, St Louis Lodge, No. 20, A. F. ft A. M., and Missouri Chapter, No. 1, and his membership relations extend to both lodge and chapter. He is also connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, No. 9, of St Louis. His interests are wide and varied but center in his business affairs, and progressiveness, determination and thorough reliability have been the salient features in making the Harris-Kober Diamond Importing Company one of the leading concerns in this field in the entire country.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Ernest E. Koken, who was long connected With the commercial interests of St. Louis and for many years directed an important manufacturing enterprise under the name of the Koken Barber Supply Company, was born in Aerzen, Hanover, Germany, April 3, 1855, and represented a family of Holland origin that had remaved to Germany in the eighteenth century. His parents were Theodore and Augusta (Blume) Koken and both families were well known and prominent in the kingdom of Hanover. Coming to the new world they settled in St. Louis in 1860 and Ernest E. Koken was educated in the public schools of this city. He started upon his business career with the Weissburger Company, manufacturers of druggists' and barbers' glass labels, and was thus associated from 1872 until 1874. His initial business step undoubtedly directed his activities in later life, for in 1874 he started out independently in the manufacture of barbers' furniture and steam grinding and concaving work. In 1881 the business was reorganized by the firm of Koken & Boppert, but the junior partner passed away several years later and Mr. Koken conducted his interests alone under his own name from 1886 until 1889, when the business was incorporated as the Koken Barber Supply Company, of which he became president. He remained at the head of the enterprise until his demise and developed it into one of the important productive enterprises of St. Louis.
In 1881 Mr. Koken was united in Carriage to Miss Ellen Johnson, of St. Louis, and they became the parents of five children. Walter P., who is mentioned elsewhere in this work; Ellen A., now the wife of T. W. Van Schoiack; Minnie L.; Olive R.; and Theodore W.
Mr. Koken was a most thorough student of philosophy and was familiar with the works of all the great authors upon philosophical subjects. He was an extremely well read man and one could not help but be broadened and benefited by association with him.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Walter F. Koken, who since 1918 has been president of the Koken Companies of St. Louis, was born in this city, December 28, 1881, and is a son of Ernest E. Koken, who passed away July 12, 1909, and who is mentioned elsewhere in this work. Ernest E. Koken wedded Ellen Johnson, who is still living in St. Louis. She is a daughter of Benjamin Terrell, who was known during his business life, however, as Benjamin Johnson. The family settled in Virginia at an early day and later generations removed to Kentucky and thence to St. Louis. Jesse Terrell, a brother of Benjamin, owned what was known as Terrell's farm, near the present site of Webster Groves, and the family came of English ancestry.
Walter F. Koken obtained his early education in the public schools of St Louis. Later he continued his studies in the Central high school and afterward attended the University of Missouri, from which he was graduated with the class of 1904. While a student there he became a member of the Kappa Sigma, a Greek letter fraternity.
Walter F. Koken started out in business in connection with his father, who was then engaged in the manufacture of barbers' supplies. From the beginning he has been associated with this undertaking and thoroughly mastering every phase of the business he was elected to the presidency of the company in 1918 and is now largely directing its activities. In this connection a business of extensive proportions has been built up and the conduct of the enterprise makes heavy demands upon his time and energies.
On the 15th of October, 1907, Mr. Koken was united in marriage to Miss Alice Woodward, a daughter of Charles B. Woodward, senior member of the C. B. Woodward Printing Company of St Louis, who is mentioned in connection with the sketch of Walter Woodward on another page of this work. To Mr. and Mrs. Koken have been born five children: Ellen, Jane, John, Ernest, and Anne.
In religious faith the family are Unitarians, their membership. being in Unity church, over which Dr. Dodson presides. In his political views Mr. Koken is a republican and fraternally he is connected with Westgate Lodge, No. 445, A. P. & A. M., and is also a Scottish Rite Mason. His membership relations are extensive, connecting him with the Algonquin Country Club, the Missouri Athletic Association, the St. Louis and the National Chambers of Commerce, the Perfumers Association of America, the National Metal Trades Association, in which he is serving as a member of the executive committee, the Manufacturers Association, the Employers Association of Missouri, the St. Louis Employers Association, the St Louis Furniture Board and all the leading organizations having to do with this line of business. He has never had time for fads or fancies, his attention being always claimed by his business and his family. He resides at No. 364 Jefferson road, Webster Groves, where he has established an attractive home for the members of his household.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.