Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" L "

LANDERS, Cole Cozzens, railway official; born, St. Louis, Mar. 2, 1875; son of Edward (Cozzens) Landers; educated in public schools of St. Louis; married, Cincinnati, June 3, 1903, Miss Estell Oaks. Began railway service as office boy with Wabash system, at St. Louis, Aug. 1, 1890, and has continued with the road as follows: clerk general freight office, St. Louis; traveling freight agent, 1901-1905; assistant general freight agent, 1905-06; division freight agent, headquarters in Detroit, since June 1, 1906. Member Hoo Hoo, Detroit Board of Commerce. Club: Transportation. Office: 1101 Majestic Bldg. Residence 767 W. Grand Blvd.
(Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908. Contributed by Christine Walters)


Jacob M. Lashly is a lawyer of pronounced ability in the trial of cases, especially effective in his addresses to the juries, but while he has won prominence as a representative of the bar, he has never allowed his law practice to thoroughly monopolize his time, ever recognizing his duties and obligations in other relations, and thus it is that he is an exemplary representative of the Masonic fraternity and an earnest worker for all those interests and activities which are an uplifting influence in the lives of men. He was born in Randolph county, Illinois, February 16, 1882, his parents being George W. and Cora (Woolford) Lashly. The father was born in Missouri, representing one of the old pioneer families of Iron county, where five generations of the family have been represented. The ancestral line shows mingled Scotch and Irish strains. George W. Lashly resided for many years in Missouri but is now engaged in mercantile pursuits in Monterey, California. His wife was also born in Randolph county, Illinois, where her people homesteaded at an early day. The first of the Woolford family in the new world had settled in Pennsylvania, seven brothers coming from Switzerland to the United States in 1846. Five of them homesteaded on adjoining farms in Randolph county, Illinois, where George W. Lashly and Cora Woolford were married and where both of their children, Arthur V. and Jacob M., were born. The maternal grandfather of Jacob M. Lashly was Jacob Woolford.
Jacob M. Lashly was educated in the schools of Steeleville, Illinois, and the high school at Sparta, after which he entered the St. Louis University and was there graduated with the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1903, while in 1905 his alma mater conferred upon him the Master of Arts degree. He prepared for the practice of law in Washington University and won his LL. B. degree in 1907. While still in school he acted as life insurance agent in order to provide for his own support and he also followed Journalism at El Paso, Texas, being connected with the El Paso Herald. Following his graduation he entered upon active practice in 1906, having passed the state bar examination prior to his graduation. His attention has since been given to professional duties and he practiced alone from 1906 until 1912, when he became a partner in the firm of Johnson, Rutledge, Marlatt & Lashly, with offices in the Third National Bank building. The firm maintained its existence for a year, after which two of the members departed this life. In 1913 the present firm was organized under the style of Holland, Rutledge & Lashly and engages in general practice. Mr. Lashly has specialized somewhat in bankruptcy law, being considered an authority upon the subject, as is indicated in the fact that since 1916 he has lectured in the Washington University law department upon bankruptcy and for nine years was on the faculty of the St. Louis University Institute of Law, so continuing until 1918, when he resigned on account of the demands of his private practice. He is a man of marked personality who handles his subject in a convincing and forcible manner, whether speaking upon questions of law or important public topics. One who knows him well said of him. His promptness, honesty and persistency in all business matters makes it a pleasure to transact business with him. He is a wonderful trial lawyer, especially effective before Juries. He belongs to the St. Louis, Missouri State and American Bar Associations and on several occasions has served on the executive committee of the State Bar Association.
In Dayton, Ohio, December 28, 1911, Mr. Lashly was married to Miss Bessie Henderson, who was born in Ohio but was reared in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Dr. John A. and Flora (McGaw) Henderson, of Dayton, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Lashly. have become parents of four children: Elizabeth, who was born June 22, 1915; John Henderson, whose birth occurred August 20, 1916; Jean Ellen, whose natal day was November 10, 1918; and Jacob Mark, Jr., born September 11, 1920. All are natives of St. Louis.
When America was at war with Germany Mr. Lashly was active in promoting various campaigns for the benefit of the government and the army and he spent his thirty days at the Great; Lakes Naval Training Station as a Y. M. C. A. secretary, doing excellent work in that connection and not only contributing his time but paying all of his expenses. He was also a four-minute speaker, amember of the Protective Association and assisted in all the various war activities. He finds his chief diversion in hunting. In politics he is a democrat and from 1908 until 1912 was president of the Young Men's Democratic Club of St. Louis. He belongs to Polar Star Lodge, No. 79, A. F. & A. M., and has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite, being also a Mystic Shriner. His social activities include connection with the City, University and Triple A Clubs. He is a member of the governing board of the Central Young Men's Christian Association and is a devoted representative of the First United Presbyterian church of St. Louis, in which he is serving on the board of deacons. He is generous to the church with both his money and his services. His activities have been directed in those channels through which flow the greatest good to the greatest number. He recognizes the needs of the individual for physical and mental as well as moral development. He therefore supports the basketball team and baseball club of the Sunday School League and is a teacher in the Sunday school connected with the church in which he has membership. He is a lover of music, both vocal and instrumental, and supports the musical activities of the city. The interests of his life are thus broad, varied and of a helpful character.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Sam Lazarus, president of the Acme Cement & Plaster Company of St. Louis, was born in Syracuse, New York, February 4, 1855, and is a son of Henry L. Lazarus, a native of England, who came to America during the early '40s. He settled in New York, where he resided until his death in 1859. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Annie Isaacs, was a native of London, England, and crossed the Atlantic with her parents when but three years of age, the family home being established in Syracuse, New York, where she became the wife of Henry L. Lazarus. Four children were born of this marriage, two sons and two daughters, of whom one only (the subject of this review) is now living. The mother's death occurred in 1916, in New York city, when she had reached the age of eighty-one years.
Sam Lazarus was the second in order of birth in his father's family. He was educated in the public schools of Syracuse, New York, and of New Orleans, Louisiana, and when a lad of fourteen years started out in the business world. He has since been dependent upon his own resources and is truly a self-made man whose energy and determination have constituted the broad and stable foundation upon which he has built his prosperity. In 1869 he removed to Ladonia, Texas, and was there employed as a clerk in a dry goods store. He devoted about eight years to clerical work and then entered the cattle business, which he successfully followed for twenty-two years. At length he sold his interests in cattle and in 1898 removed to St. Louis. It was at this time that the Acme Cement ft Plaster Company, which had previously conducted business at St. Joseph, Missouri, established its plant at St. Louis and since coming to the city Mr. Lazarus has been its active head, the business being one of the largest of the kind in the United States. He is also the president of the Quanah Acme & Pacific Railway Company and is a director of the St. Louis ft San Francisco Railroad. In 1895 he became identified with the building of the Texas Louisiana and Eastern Railroad of which he was president and which was later sold to the Santa Fe system. In 1900 he was president of the Red River, Texas and Southern Railroad and has done not a little to promote railroad building and stimulate high standards of railroad management in this section of the country.
On the 19th of April, 1883, Mr. Lazarus was married in New Orleans, Louisiana, to Miss Lillie N. Fisk, a native of New Orleans and a daughter of Frank and Margaret (Stumpf) Fisk. They have one child, Henriette, now the wife of William F. Baker, residing in New York. Mr. Lazarus gives his political allegiance to the democratic party and has been a prominent factor in democratic councils of city, state and nation for many years and has a wide acquaintance among the leading men of the party throughout the country. He was elected president of the city council of St. Louis in 1912, was a delegate to the democratic national convention held in Baltimore in that year at which time Woodrow Wilson was nominated for the presidency and was also a delegate to the national convention in San Francisco in 1920 when James EL Cos received the democratic nomination. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias, also to the Noonday, Columbia and Sunset Country Clubs and to the Columbian. He is likewise a member of Dr. Harrison's church. While but the merest outlines of the life work of Mr. Laxarus have herewith been presented, owing to a lack of space, there is always something stimulating and encouraging in the history of such a man, as it shows what can be accomplished through individual effort Dependent upon his own resources from the age of fourteen years, he is now at the head of important business interests and has become widely recognized as a leading figure in industrial and commerical circles in St. Louis.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Levis, Leo
The steps in the orderly progression of Leo Levis in the business world are plainly manifest. He has advanced steadily through the utilization of the opportunities which have come to him and is now the president of the Levis-Zukoski Mercantile company, thus controlling one of the important commercial interests of St. Louis. He was born in Wurttemberg, Germany, February 21, 1839, and is a son of Seligman and Jetta (Rosenheim) Levis. He began his education in the public schools of his native country and continued his studies at Wheeling, Virginia, after coming to the new world in 1854, being at that time a youth of fifteen years. Soon afterward he secured employment in a dry goods store at Wheeling, Virginia, and in 1857 became a resident of St. Louis, where he joined his uncle, Morris Rosenheim, a wholesale milliner. After acquainting himself with the business and proving his capacity and trustworthiness he was admitted to a partnership and upon the retirement of Mr. Rosenheim in 1893 the Levis-Zukoski Mercantile company was organized and Mr. Levis has since been the senior partner. Under his guidance the business has been developed to substantial proportions and is one of the important millinery houses of this city.
In St. Louis, on the 12th of January, 1870, Mr. Levis was married to Miss Josephine Singer and they are now parents of three sons and a daughter: George S. Levis, the eldest son, is married and has two children, Frederick and Frances; Walter Levis, the second son, is married and has two children, Richard and Eleanor; Edgar S. is the third son of the family; Edna is the wife of Dr. W. W. Hamburger, of Chicago, and they have two children, Elizabeth and Walter Hamburger. During the World war the sons of Leo Levis were active in support of many movements relative to the country's welfare.
Mr. Levis is a member of the Chamber of Commerce of St. Louis. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he does everything in his power to promote its success. He belongs to the Hebrew Charities Association, also to the Ethical Culture Society and is a member of the City Club and the Columbian Club. He finds his chief recreation in travel. Coming to the new world when a youth in his teens he has since made steady progress along well defined lines of labor and he remains still the directing head of a prominent commercial enterprise of St. Louis, although he has now passed the eighty-first milestone on life's journey.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


J. D. Perry Lewis, president of the Lewis Automobile Company of St. Louis, was born in this city September 11, 1873. His father, William J. Lewis, was a well-known merchant and manufacturer who was born in Buckingham county, Virginia, October 27, 1825, his parents being Thomas and Jedida (Whitehead) Lewis, who were also natives of the Old Dominion. The father died a few months prior to the birth of William J. Lewis, who was the youngest of six children. In 1831 the family removed to the west, settling in Howard county, Missouri, where the representatives of the Lewis family became interested in the tobacco industry, with which their ancestors in the maternal line had been connected in Virginia. A relative, W. D. Swinney, was at that time proprietor of the largest tobacco factory in Missouri and there Benjamin Lewis, the eldest brother of William J. Lewis, found employment. After learning the business he established a factory of his own and William J. Lewis, then nine years of age, worked in the factory during the summer months. The business developed into the largest enterprise of the kind in the state and William J. Lewis gained valuable experience therein in connection with the tobacco trade. In 1847 he removed to St. Louis, where he established business on his own account in partnership with his brother, James W.f under the firm style of Lewis & Brother and this business prospered and grew to a gratifying degree. In 1864 they were Joined by a brother-in-law, John D. Perry, and for many years the business was conducted under the style of Lewis, Perry & Company. In 1870 William J. Lewis turned his attention to the commission business, with houses in St. Louis, New York and New Orleans, and the same qualities which had promoted the steady and substantial growth of the tobacco business now brought success to the new undertaking. Later Mr. Lewis became interested in the Memphis Packet Company, which at that time was in a precarious financial condition, and soon placed it upon a substantial business basis. In 1870 he was chosen the first non-partisan to fill the office of president of the Merchants Exchange and most commendably and efficiently administered the affairs of the organization. In 1866 he became one of the organizers and incorporators of the Commercial Bank and was elected its second president, continuing in the office for a decade without salary. He also became identified with the insurance business and with the development of the coal and iron trade in St. Louis. He was very active in the attempt to restore to St. Louis the trade which it had lost during the Civil war and his labors in this direction were highly successful. A contemporary writer has said of William J. Lewis: "His high spirit of unselfishness invited and secured the confidence of his associates in business and he was recognized as a man whose ability to achieve success by upright and honorable means was a guarantee that no enterprise committed to his management would ever be tarnished with even the suspicion of unfairness. One of his traits was a quick sympathy with deserving young men struggling against obstacles to make their way in the world and there are not a few who, at this day, remember his helping hand with lively gratitude. He was a successful man, but his success never lifted him above his early friends, nor altered his unpretentious manners. He always remained approachable, simple and sincere, and he never lost his youthful intolerance for affectation and pretense."
In 1852 Mr. Lewis wadded Rebecca Turner, daughter of Talton Turner, of Howard county, Missouri, and they became the parents of six children: Mrs. Julia L. Knapp, Talton Turner, Mrs. Sallie L. Johnson, Benjamin W., William J. and J. D. Perry. The death of the father occurred July 14, 1879, at which time the St. Louis Republican said editorially: "There could be no death in St. Louis that would have given a greater shock to the whole community than that of William J. Lewis, which occurred very suddenly yesterday. He was a man esteemed in all circles. Of thorough business habits, enterprising and progressive, he seemed to influence all by whom he was surrounded. In social life he was genial and unselfish. He was devoted to everything that meant prosperity, fame or honor." Mrs. Lewis long survived her husband, passing away in September, 1908.
In the acquirement of his education J. D. Perry Lewis, the youngest of the family, attended the public schools, the Smith Academy and the Manual Training School. He started out in the business world in the employ of the telephone company and afterward became connected with the Halsey Automobile Company, with which he remained for twelve years. Actuated by a laudable ambition he at fell times looked forward to the day when he might engage in business on his own account and in September, 1912, he organized the Lewis Automobile Company, of which he is the president. Long before reaching his present prominent position in connection with the automobile trade of St. Louis he had built the first motor car constructed west of the Mississippi river, his efforts in this direction reaching fruition in 1893. He had always been a student of electricity and when people began talking about the possibilities of a practical horseless carriage decided to convert a light road wagon which he owned into an electric machine. This proved successful in a way, after which he had a carriage-maker build him a large body, which he fitted up with thirty storage batteries and the new car was a decided success as automobile successes were then rated. He was always followed by a crowd as he would drive his machine through the city and he continued to run the car for about two years, at the end of which time he lost interest in it because it had cost him about fourteen hundred dollars to build and he did not believe that anybody would ever want to pay that much money for a horseless machine. It was then that he became connected with the telephone company, but later realizing what the future had in store for the automobile he returned to that field of business. As the years have passed he has kept pace with the progress in the automobile trade and today is president of the Lewis Automobile Company, which is conducting an extensive and profitable business as dealers in motor cars. The industry today Justifies his early vision and belief and he has lived to reap the benefits of his early labors in the substantial success that has come to him through the sale of motor cars.
On the 19th of January, 1897, Mr. Lewis was united in marriage to Miss Sallie E. Turner, of Glasgow, Missouri, and to them have been born three children: Ericson, who is an ensign in the United States navy; Abbie, sixteen years of age; and Lucy, nine years of age.
Mr. Lewis maintains an independent course in politics nor has he ever sought political preferment. He belongs to the St. Louis Auto Club and has a wide social acquaintance in his native city. During the war he served as captain of one of the divisions in connection with the Red Cross drive and at all times he is keenly interested in everything that pertains to the welfare and upbuilding of community, commonwealth and country, his stalwart Americanism and his progressive citizenship being never called into question.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


John R. LionbergerLionberger, John R.
In the annals of St. Louis the name of John R. Lionberger figures prominently, for as merchant and banker he left the impress of his individuality and ability upon the history of city and state. He was born in Luray, Page county, Virginia, August 20, 1829, and was in the sixty-fifth year of his age when death ended his labors on the 20th of May, 1894. His ancestral history was one of close connection with a most picturesque and romantic epoch in the development of the new world. The Lionberger ancestors were of French Huguenot stock and came to the new world with William Penn. The great-grandmother of John R. Lionberger was killed in the Indian massacre at Luray Cave and the history of that cave is closely interwoven with the history of the family. It was toward the close of the eighteenth century that representatives of the name established their home in Page county, Virginia, where Isaac Lionberger, father of John R. Lionberger, was born and reared. In early manhood he sought the opportunities of the growing west and became one of the pioneer residents of Missouri in 1836, establishing his home in Boonville, Cooper county. There he followed general mercantile pursuits and was widely recognized as a man of affairs in that section of the state for many years. His fellow townsmen, appreciative of his worth and ability, called him to the office of sheriff and he also served as judge of the county court, while he was also a local director of the old State Bank of Missouri, which at that period was the most important banking house west of the Mississippi. Isaac Lionberger wedded Miss Mary Tutt, daughter of Philip and Elizabeth (Ashby) Tutt, who were also natives of Virginia and were of Scotch-Irish descent. The grandfather in the matemal line was Captain John Ashby, while the grandfather in the paternal line was Lieutenant Charles Tutt, both of whom were soldiers of the Revolutionary war, entering the army as representatives of the Virginia line.
Physical and intellectual vigor came to John R. Lionberger as a legitimate inheritance frqm worthy ancestors. Fortunate is the man who hap back of him an ancestry honorable and distinguished and happy is he if his lines of life are cast in harmony therewith. John R. Lionberger was a worthy scion of his race in person, in talents and in character. Superior educational advantages were accorded him and after attending the Kemper Academy of Boonville, Missouri, he matriculated in the State University at Columbia, when a youth of sixteen years. There he pursued a classical course and on its completion became actively engaged in commercial pursuits, conducting a store at Boonville for some time.
The year 1855 witnessed the arrival of Mr. Lionberger in St. Louis. He was well equipped and well trained for life's practical and responsible duties and the field of commerce offered in the growing Missouri metropolis was to him an enticing one. Here he established, under the firm style of Lionberger & Shields, a wholesale boot and shoe business and almost immediately became recognized as one of the alert, wide-awake and progressive merchants of the city. After two years he purchased his partner's interest and for a time carried on business alone but afterward was joined by Junior partners under the firm style of J. R. Lionberger & Company. The house won a wide reputation, enjoying an extensive trade during the middle portion of the nineteenth century, Mr. Lionberger remaining an active factor in its control until 1868, when he sold his interest and retired from the mercantile field, in which he had won a well merited reputation for high character and integrity of purpose as well as for successful management. Soon afterward he became actively identified with various enterprises which featured prominently in the growth and development of St. Louis and some of which were of a semi-public nature. He took helpful part in developing the transportation system of St. Louis and in promoting its banking interests and was a leading spirit in bringing about the construction of the Eads bridge, serving as one of the directors of the bridge company from the inception of the enterprise and also as a member of the executive and construction committees. Later he became interested in the building of the North Missouri Railroad and its completion to Kansas City and the Iowa state line, and for an extended period he was president of the St. Joseph & St. Louis Railroad Company. He entered banking circles in 1857 as one of the organizers of the old Southern Bank, of which he served as a director and as vice president. Upon the reorganization of the bank in 1864 under the national banking law, and the adoption of the name of the Third National Bank of St. Louis, Mr. Lionberger continued to be a large shareholder and in 1867 was elected to the presidency, thus serving until 1876, when he resigned for the purpose of making an extended trip abroad. Upon his return to America Mr. Lionberger was elected vice president of the bank and he also became one of the founders of the St. Louis Clearing House Association, serving on its first committee of management, of which he was, made chairman. He was likewise a member and director of the Chamber of Commerce and was a member of the building committee which had in charge the erection of the Merchants Exchange. He was prominently known as a representative of the Board of Trade and was twice sent as its local delegate to the National Board of Trade. In the later years of his life he became associated with the Union Depot Storage & Shipping Company, which in 1881 erected an elevator with a capacity of seven hundred and sixty thousand bushels'of grain. Mr. Lionberger was likewise one of the organizers of the St. Louis Safe Deposit Company and he was also interested in the earlier development of the street railway system of St. Louis and owned a large block of its stock.
In 1851 occurred the marriage of Mr. Lionberger and Miss Margaret Clark-son, daughter of Dr. Henry Clarkson, of Columbia, curator of the State University of Missouri. The children born of this union were: Marion, who became the wife of John D. Davis and is now deceased; Isaac H.; Margaret, who married Henry S. Potter and has passed away; and Mary, who completes the family.
In political belief Mr. Lionberger was a democrat, stanchly upholding Jeffersonian principles. His religious faith was that of the Presbyterian church and he closely followed its teachings. He was constantly extending a helping hand where aid was needed and his life was indeed blessed by reason of the "little ministries that filled the long years. A believer in the brotherhood of man and the fatherhood of God, he did everything in his power to ameliorate hard conditions of life for the unfortunate and his life was at all times a stimulating Influence for good among those with whom he was associated. While he has passed on, his memory remains as a blessed benediction to all who knew him and is cherished in the hearts of all who were associated with him.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Charles Lucas is a representative in the fourth generation of a family that has been most active in contributing to the development and upbuilding of Missouri from pioneer times and is a native son of St. Louis, his birth having occurred in this city June 18, 1892. His father, J. B. C. Lucas, is mentioned at length on another page of this work and in connection with his sketch is given the ancestral record of the family.
Spending his youthful days under the parental roof Charles Lucas attended the St Louis University and afterward pursued his studies in the Fordham University and in the University of New York City. His father died, however, while he was pursuing his studies and by reason thereof he returned home before reaching the point of graduation in the last named institution. He had been made one of the executor of his father's estate which largely consisted of realty in St Louis. Accordingly Charles Lucas turned his attention to the real estate business and at a more recent date has extended the scope of his activities by the establishment of an insurance department In connection with his brother, Morton J., and his brother-in-law, John A. Hart, he gives much time to the management of the estate, having control in this connection of many business properties and residences of the city which return to the heirs a most gratifying and substantial annual income.
Mr. Lucas is a veteran of the World war. He enlisted on the 31st of May, 1917, in the One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Field Artillery and sailed for France on the 22d of May, 1918. He saw fourteen months' service with his command overseas and participated in the St Mihiel drive and in the sanguinary engagement that was fought through the Argonne Forest as the Americans forced their way through the woods, meeting the fire from machine gun nests and from many a foe sheltered behind hills and rocks or perched with his gun in the trees. In the face of seemingly insurmountable odds the khaki-clad Americans advanced until the woods were cleared of the enemy and the German forces were definitely started on a retreat that continued until the Rhine was crossed. Mr. Lucas was made sergeant of Battery B and after the war closed was returned to the United States, landing in New York on the 20th of February, 1919. He is of the Catholic faith and his political endorsement is given to the republican party. In both these lines he has followed in the footsteps of his ancestors who have ever been loyal followers of the church and stalwart supporters of the party which has ever stood for reform and progress.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Lucas, John B.
The history of no country perhaps rests so largely upon the development of commercial and industrial enterprise as does that of the United States. This country has waged no wars for conquest, haying since the establishment of the republic followed the most constructive lines in the upbuilding of the nation and the establishment of its policy. Into each state have gone men of resolute will, of broad vision and of high ideals who have become active factors in the upbuilding of a commonwealth, until the Union is formed of a galaxy of great states each with its paramount interests and activities, yet all contributing to the sum total of power and honor which are everywhere today associated with the name of America.
Prominent among the promoters and builders of Missouri are those of the Lucas family, of which family John B. C. Lucas was a prominent representative. He was born December 30, 1847, a son of James H. and Emilie (Desruisseaux) Lucas. His ancestral line can be traced back through seven generations to one of the Revolutionary war heroes. He was a great-grandson of Andrew Vanoy, who was captain of a company of militia in North Carolina attached to the regiment of Colonel Abraham Shepard. In 1777 he enlisted as a member of the Continental army and rendered valuable service to the cause on various battlefields until the victory was won by the colonial troops. In the Lucas line the ancestry is traced back to Nicholas Lucas who was born in 1572 and died at the age of seventy-eight years. His descendants in successive generations in the line down to John B. C. Lucas were Robert, James, Robert, Robert Joseph and Robert Joseph Edward Lucas, who was the great-grandfather of him whose name heads this memoir. He was born in 1725 and passed away in 1783. In 1760 he became a procureur du Roi, or king's prosecuting attorney, of Port Audemur, in Normandy, France. He married Mademoiselle de l'Arche, and to this union there were born seven children, of whom John B. C. Lucas was the third child and second son and the grandfather of his namesake, whose name introduces this review. The grandfather was married in France to Mademoiselle Sebin. In the University of Caen, which was founded by Henry VI, king of England, he studied law with a view to becoming procureur du Roi. On the 17th of April, 1784, accompanied by his wife, he left Ostend, Belgium, for America, coming to Philadelphia. Soon afterward he purchased a large tract of land called Montpelier, situated at Coal Hill near the present site of Pittsburgh, where then stood Fort Pitt. There they lived until 1805. Mr. Lucas had brought with him to the United States a letter of introduction from Benjamin Franklin, then minister to France, recommending him to President Jefferson as an able jurist whose counsels would be valuable in framing the laws of a new-born republic. He became prominently identified with the history of Pennsylvania. He served on the bench with Judge Addison and in 1795 was elected to the state legislature, while in 1803 he became a member of congress. Two years before he had been sent by President Jefferson to ascertain the temper of the French and Spanish residents of Louisiana respecting the Louisiana purchase. He traveled incognito to St Louis, thence to Ste. Genevleve and on to New Orleans, under the name of Des Peiutreaux. The commission was ably and carefully executed and the president bestowed upon him further honors in 1803 by appointing him judge of the territorial court and commissioner of land claims of Upper Louisiana, following the purchase. For two years he filled that office in a most creditable and honorable manner and in 1805 came to St. Louis after resigning his position. The city was but a little French settlement but he recognized its advantageous position, believed in its future growth and made extensive investments in real estate which afterward brought him and his family large wealth. He was always most devoted to his family and the death of his five sons caused him to retire from public life, after which time he gave his supervision only to his estate. He enjoyed an extensive law practice and his professional duties and the management of his property fully claimed his time. He was one of the first to herald the abolition movement which he did in a speech made in St. Louis, April 20, 1820, defining his views in consenting to allow his name to be used as a candidate for membership on the delegation to the constitutional convention of Missouri. At that time he strongly opposed the introduction of slavery into the state and the speech created a great sensation.
James H. Lucas, father of John B. C. Lucas, entered upon the scene of earthly activities about the time of the opening of the nineteenth century. He was born November 12, 1800, and became a student in the College of St. Thomas, in Nelson county, Kentucky. In 1817 he left the south, going to New Hampshire, and later studied law in New York. In 1819 he made his way to St. Louis and thence started by boat for South America but changed his plans and for a time remained at Arkansas Post and at Little Rock, in both of which places he devoted his attention to reading law at the same time supporting himself as a typesetter on the Arkansas Gazette and in operating the ferry. He afterward rode the circuit in the practice of his profession and his developing powers won him a place of prominence, gaining him a wide and favorable acquaintance as a member of the bar and in other connections. In 1820 he was appointed major of the militia by Governor James Miller and later was made judge of the probate court. He was married May 10, 1832, to Emilie Desruisseaux and they became the parents of thirteen children. In October, 1837, James H. Lucas returned to St. Louis at the request of his father who was then well advanced in years and who passed away August 17, 1842, leaving his large estate to his two children, James H. and Mrs. Annie L. Hunt.
The son then assumed the management of the estate and as the years passed became recognized as one of the most prominent among the builders of Missouri through his promotion of many progressive movements and his organization of large business enterprises. He also rendered to his state valuable service of a political character and from 1844 until 1847 was a member of the state senate but was never ambitious to occupy public office. Nevertheless his aid could always be counted upon to further any plan or movement for the general good and in many private capacities he aided in public upbuilding. He subscribed one hundred thousand dollars for the construction of the Missouri Pacific Railroad and was twice elected to the presidency of the company. He assisted in organizing and acted as president of the Gas Company and was one of the promoters of the Boatmen's Savings Institution. For a long period he figured in financial circles, establishing a bank in St. Louis in 1851, with a branch in San Francisco. The business was reorganized in 1863 and others became interested but on the 21st of October of that year, owing to the widespread financial panic which engulfed the country, both banks failed. Although Mr. Lucas was not legally bound he assumed the responsibility and paid the entire liabilities with ten per cent interest, at a clear loss to himself of a half million dollars but with business reputation and honor untarnished. Such was the character of the man. His high moral sense was ever one of his most pronounced traits and though he inherited and controlled an immense fortune he was never known to take advantage of the necessities of another and in fact would rather have met financial loss than to have compromised his commercial honor in any way. He built the Lucas Market and gave ten thousand dollars toward the erection of the Southern Hotel. He also made donation of an equal amount to the Missouri Historical Society and many movements for intellectual and moral progress received his strong endorsement and financial support. His property was largely invested in real estate, his holdings including two hundred and twenty-five stores and dwellings in St. Louis which were divided among his eight living children when he passed away November 11, 1878. His wife survived him for about five years, her death occurring December 24, 1878.
Already the Lucas family has become established as one of the most prominent and influential in connection with the material progress of Missouri when John B. C. Lucas became an active factor in the world's work. He was born December 30, 1847, and throughout his entire life lived up to the high traditions and the noble example of his forebears. He attended Washington University of St. Louis after mastering the elementary branches of learning and also continued his education in Seaton Hall College at South Orange, New Jersey. Later he accepted a clerkship in his father's office, in which he remained for two years, acquainting himself with his father's varied business interests of which he later assumed entire management. At the death of his father he was appointed one of the executors of the estate which he settled. In business affairs he ever displayed keen discrimination and sagacity and his name, like that of his father, was ever an honored one, always above suspicion, his course at all times being such as would bear the closest investigation and scrutiny. In 1890 he was elected to the presidency of the Citizens Bank and thus continued to serve until 1898. He was also one of the chief promoters and seven original owners of the Planters Hotel.
In 1876 John B. C. Lucas was united in marriage to Miss Mollie C. Morton, of Little Rock, Arkansas, and they became the parents of two daughters, Isabel and Francine. The mother passed away in Colorado and Mr. Lucas afterward married Isabel Lee Morton, a descendant of the Notrebe, a very prominent French family of Arkansas. There is but one child living of the first marriage, Isabel, who is now the wife of Frank K. Sawyer, of Alexandria, Indiana, and they have two children, Mary M. and Lucas. The children of the father's second marriage who still survive are three in number: Mary L., the wife of John A. Hart, of 19 Portland place, St. Louis, by whom she has two children, Mary L. and John A., Jr.; Charles Lucas, living at home; and Morton J., who wedded Marion Cronk and has a daughter, Isabel Morton Lucas. Since her husband's death Mrs. Lucas has spent much time in travel but maintains a handsome home at No. 4495 West Pine boulevard. The religious faith of the family is that of the Catholic church and for a number of years Mr. Lucas was acting president of Calvary cemetery. Death called him on the 16th of September, 1908, and thus he passed on to Join his father and another name was added to the list of Missouri's honored dead, for he had been a most progressive citizen and one whose life counted for good in the world's work.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.