Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" M "

MUSICK, John Roy, author, was born in St. Louis, Mo., Feb. 28, 1849. He was graduated at Northern Missouri State Normal school, B.S., 1874, and was admitted to the bar in 1877. He practiced in Kirkville, Mo., 1877-82, and was U.S. commissioner there for ten years. In 1882 he gave up the practice of law to devote himself to literature. He was married, June 13, 1876, to Augusta P. Roszelle. He was a member of the Society of American Authors; of the Western authorsí Guild of New York, of which he was twice elected president. He is the author of: Brother against Brother; Banker of Bedford; Calamity Row; Columbian Historical Novels (12 vols. 1891 et seq.); History Stories of Missouri (1897); Hawaii: Our New Possessions (1898); The War with Spain (1898); His Brotherís Crime; Cuba Libre.  He died in Omaha, Neb., from injuries received while rescuing the injured after a cyclone at Kirkville, Mo., April 14, 1901.
(Source: THE TWENTIETH CENTURY BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF NOTABLE AMERICANS. Vol 3, Publ. 1904. Transcribed by Richard Ramos)

JOHN R. MUSICK - Born in St. Louis County {Mo}, February 28, 1849; died in Omaha, Nebraska, April 14, 1901. His life was largely spent in literary work. His best production was the Columbian Historical Novels in twelve volumes. On returning from the Hawaiian Islands, he wrote for a New York house, a large volume containing his observations. He was for a time, a member of the Republican State Central Committee, and was also for many years U.S. Commissioner at this place. He sustained some injuries in trying to give assistance after the cyclone in April 1899, and never fully recovered.
Source: The History of Adair County Missouri, by E.M. Violette (1911)Submitted by Desiree Rodcay


James Adelbert McMillen, who since the 1st of July, 1919, has been librarian of the Washington University in St. Louis, was born January 23, 1889, near Maryville, in Nodaway county, Missouri, his parents being Cyrus Grant and Mary Ann (Warner) McMillen. The father was born in Hancock county, Illinois, June 30, 1864, and his parents were James B. and Margaret S. (Evans) McMillen. The former was born in Brown county, Ohio, in 1828 and became one of the early settlers of Hancock county, Illinois, having removed to that state in 1849. There he remained for many years and in 1881 became a resident of Nodaway county, Missouri. His son, Cyrus Grant McMillen, has now for almost forty years been a resident of Missouri and is engaged in general merchandising at Pickering. His wife, Mrs. Mary Ann McMillen, was born in Richland, New York, December 30, 1868, and was a direct descendant in the ninth generation of Andrew Warner, one of the original settlers of Newtowne, now Cambridge, Massachusetts. It was on the 15th of March, 1885, that Mary Ann Warner became the wife of Cyrus G. McMillen.
James A. McMillen was a pupil in the public schools of Maryville until graduated from the high school with the class of 1906 and later attended the University of Missouri, being graduated with general honors in 1913 with the Bachelor of Arts degree. He afterward entered the New York State Library School at Albany, New York, and the B. L. S. degree was conferred upon him in 1915. Throughout the intervening period he has devoted his attention largely to library work. He was assistant librarian at the Maryville (Mo.) Free Public Library in 1906-07 and librarian there from 1907 until 1909. Throughout the ensuing year he was a representative of publishing interest in the employ of the King-Richardson Company and in 1910 he accepted the position of assistant at the University of Missouri Library, there remaining until 1913. In July, 1914, he became a cataloger in the New York Public Library filling that position until the following September when he was made library assistant of the New York State Library and so served until 1915. In the latter year he became librarian of the University of Rochester, where he remained until 1919 when he returned to his native state to become librarian of the Washington University on the 1st of July, 1919.
Mr. McMillen enlisted on the 17th of May, 1918, for service in the World war and was sworn in on the 17th of June. He became chief quartermaster of the aviation department, U. S. N. R. F. He was stationed with the Naval Aviation Detachment at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts, from July 17, 1918, until November 21, 1918, and has since been on inactive duty.
In politics Mr. McMillen is an independent democrat, voting according to the dictates of his Judgment rather than according to party ties. His religious faith is indicated in his connection with the Disciples of Christ, ofttimes known as the Christian church. He belongs to the Phi Beta Kappa and is a member of the City Club of St. Louis, also of the American Library Association and the New York Library Association.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


McNally, Raymond F.
The strong and substantial banking concerns of St. Louis have drawn to them a coterie of capable business men who have thoroughly acquainted themselves with every phase of the banking business and have displayed initiative in the development of Interests controlled by the banks and the activities over which they have a supervising interest. Well known in the financial circles of St. Louis is Raymond F. McNally, the vice president and cashier of the National Bank of Commerce. Missouri numbers him among her native sons, his birth having occurred in Chillicothe, November 21, 1879. His father, Thomas McNally, came to the United States from Ireland in 1869, and made his way across the country to Missouri. For many years he was successfully engaged in the contracting business, furnishing ties to railroads. Settling in Chillicothe, he afterward became the organizer and was the president of the Citizens' National Bank of that place and remained a well known figure in financial circles until his death in 1899. His religious faith was that of the Roman Catholic church and his political belief that of the democratic party. He served for four years in the office of county treasurer and was active, prominent and influential in his community. He married Ida Fitzpatrick, who was born in Canada and now resides with one of her children at La Salle, Illinois. They had a family of two sons and three daughters, all of whom are yet living.
Raymond F. McNally, who was the first-born in the family, was educated in the parochial schools of Chillicothe and in the Christian Brothers College of St. Louis, from which he was graduated on the completion of the collegiate course with the class of 1898. Throughout his business connection he has been identified with banking. He was first elected cashier of the Citizens' National Bank at Chillicothe, Missouri, in 1901 and remained in that position for fourteen years, contributing in large measure to the success and growth of the business. He was then elected vice president of the Mississippi Valley Trust Company of St. Louis and for two years remained with that corporation. He was next chosen vice president of the National Bank of Commerce in January, 1918, and in the following November was made both vice president and cashier, occupying the dual position at the present time. He has been the president of the clearing house section of the American Bankers Association and is now the president of the Missouri Bankers Association, connections that indicate his high standing among the leading financiers of the country.
In 1909 Mr. McNally was united in marriage to Miss Annabelle Quinn, daughter of Joseph P. Quinn, of St. Louis, and they have three children: Raymond F., who is now nine years of age and is attending school; Mary Gray, eight years of age, also in school; and Gerald, a little lad of four years.
Mr. McNally belongs to the Cathedral parish of the Roman Catholic church and is a member of St. Louis Council of the Knights of Columbus, being a past state deputy of the order. He is treasurer of the St. Louis Club and is connected also with the Missouri Athletic Association, the Bellerive Country Club, the Automobile Club and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. In politics he is a democrat and keeps well informed on the vital questions and issues of the day. He has never sought nor desired political preferment but has done much important public work. He is treasurer of the St. Louis Convention Bureau, which has secured so many important conventions for the city, and is treasurer of the New Constitution Association, while in many other ways he has contributed to the work of making known to the world the advantages and opportunities which St. Louis offers. He has been an extensive reader, especially on matters of finance, and is a man of strong and forceful character and of magnetic personality. He is quick of decision and his sterling worth has gained for him hosts of warm friends.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

MC CLUNG, Calvin Morgan, merchant; born St. Louis, Mo., May 12, 1855; Scotch-Irish descent; son of Franklin Henry and Eliza Ann (Mills) McClung; fatherís occupation wholesale dry goods merchant; paternal grandparents Matthew and Eliza Jane (Morgan) McClung; maternal grandparents Adam Lee and Matilda (Holtzman) Mills; educated in private schools and preparatory department of East Tenn. University; graduated from East Tenn. University (now University of Tenn.) A.B. 1874, M.A. 1877, Sheffield Scientific School of Yale University Ph.B. 1876; commenced business in 1877 in office of his fatherís firm, viz.: Cowan, McClung & Co., Knoxville, Tenn.; married twice, first Annie McGhee March 3, 1881, second, Barbara Adair March 16, 1905; member of Cumberland Club, Knoxville, Tenn.; entered business for himself July, 1882, as a member of the firm of McClung, Powell & Co., firm name being changed in 1884 to C.M. McClung & Co., wholesale hardware, which business was incorporated July, 1905, under same name; he has been Pres. of the corporation since that time; director in East Tenn. National Bank, director in some manufacturing enterprises; trustee of Lawson McGhee Library, Tenn. Deaf and Dumb School; member of the National Geographic Society, American Historical Assn.; has traveled to a considerable extent in Europe, United States and Canada.
Source: Whoís Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler


George R. MerrellGeorge R. Merrell, vice president of the J. S. Merrell Drug Company of St. Louis, in which city he was born November 13, 1869, is a son of Jacob Spencer Merrell, a native of New York, who became the founder of the J. S. Merrell Drug Company of St. Louis in 1845. Through the intervening period this business has remained one of the substantial commercial interests of the city and is still successfully operating. Mr. Merrell was one of the comparatively few St. Louisans who assisted in recruiting men to fight against slavery and rebellion in the south and was quite active in local politics, serving as city treasurer of St. Louis from 1880 until 1884 and at all times doing everything in his power to advance the political principles in which he strongly believed. He married Kate Kellogg, a daughter of Warner Kellogg, and they became the parents of ten children, five sons and five daughters, and five of the number died in Infancy. The father has also passed away, his demise occurring in 1885, and the mother died in Mil.
The son, George R. Merrell, was the ninth in order of birth in the family. The others were: Lottie G., whose death occurred December 31, 1901; Hubert S., who died November 29, 1911; Lizzie M., who became the wife of Cyrus P. Walbridge, of St. Louis, and died January 5, 1912; and Ashbel M., who passed away January 30, 1915.
George R. Merrell acquired his early education in the Franklin school and lifter-ward attended Smith Academy of St. Louis, while later he was graduated from the St. Louis College of Pharmacy in June, 1889. He began work in his father's store, entering the retail department of the J. S. Merrell Drug Company, and advancing steadily step by step as he acquired a knowledge of and experience in the business and developed his powers in handling and promoting the trade, at length reached the position of vice president and general manager of the company after having previously served in the positions of manager of the city department, sales manager, second vice president and first vice president. This company is now conducting an extensive wholesale drug business, having the oldest drug house west of the Mississippi and one of the largest in St. Louis.
On the 12th of April, 1893, in St. Louis, Mr. Merrell was united in marriage to Miss Alice Atkins, a daughter of Andrew Atkins, a native of England. Their family of three sons and two daughters includes Spencer Atkins, who was graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point and served for four years on active duty with the American army, which covered the period of the World war. He entered as a second lieutenant and resigned as major. He was with the infantry forces at Chauteau Thierry and also in the Argonne forest. He also did much training in France at Braum University in the infantry branch of the service. He parried Lee Fowler, of Harpster, Ohio. George R. the second son, volunteered for the aviation service, in which he became a first lieutenant, and was ready to sail from New York when the armistice was signed. He is now completing his university course at Cornell University in New York. Charles Marquis, the third son, is a freshman at Cornell. The daughters, Ruth Porter and Alice Jane, are attending Mary Institute. The family has always been characterized by public-spirited citizenship and patriotic devotion to duty. Twd on the father's side and two on the mother's side from the family served in the Revolutionary war and through all the intervening period representatives of the name have been loyal to the best interests of the country, seeking ever to promote national as well as community progress.
In politics Mr. Merrell is a republican, believing firmly in the principles of the party as factors in good government. In religious faith he is a Congregationalism belonging to the First Congregational church of St. Louis, in which he has served as vice president of the board of trustees since 1918. He belongs to Tuscan Lodge No. 360, A. F. & A. M., in which he was raised June 15, 1912. He is also a Scottish Rite Mason, having connection with Missouri Consistory No. 1, in which he took his work in April, 1913. He has also crossed the sands of the desert with the Nobles of Moolah Temple of the Mystic Shrine of St. Louis. He belongs to the Royal Arcanum and is a well known member of the Chamber of Commerce, in which he is now serving as chairman of Division No. 5, having charge of drug and chemical interests. He belongs also to the St. Louis Drug & Chemical Club, and since its organization has been chairman of the membership committee. He is a member of the St. Louis Club, the Algonquin Golf Club and the Rotary Club. The interests and activities of his life are well balanced and his has been a useful and well spent career. In his business he has been watchful of all the details and all indications pointing toward prosperity and from the beginning has had an abiding faith in the ultimate success of the enterprise; yet this has not been alone the goal for which he has striven, for he belongs to that class of representative American citizens who promote the general prosperity while advancing individual interests.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Hubert S. Merrell, secretary of the J. S. Merrell Drug company of St. Louis, was born in Madison county, Illinois, September 28, 1886, and is a son of H. S. and Georgia (Crenshaw) Merrell, the latter a representative of one of the old American families. They were married in Madison county, Illinois, in 1880. The father was at one time a well known figure in commercial circles in St. Louis being vice president of the J. S. Merrell Drug company, from 1885 until 1911 when death called him to his final home. He, too, was a representative of ancestry long connected with American interests. To him and his wife were born two children, a son and daughter: Hattie, the wife of Frank H. Coult, who is secretary of the firm of Charles F. Meier & company, engineers, with offices in the Times building, and H. S., Jr., of this review.
The latter pursued his education in Smith Academy of St. Louis, and in the St. Louis College of Pharmacy, from which he was graduated in 1907 with the degree of Ph. B. In 1908 he acquired the degree of Ph. C. He became connected with the J. S. Merrell Drug company as chemist and continued to fill that position until December, 1911, at which time he was made secretary. He has since occupied the position, bending his efforts to administrative direction and executive control in connection with a business that ranks with the foremost representatives of the drug trade of the city.
In Colllnsville, Illinois, on the 12th of January, 1910, Mr. Merrell was united in marriage to Miss Madge Krafft, a daughter of C. H. and Olive (Johnson) Krafft. They have become the parents of two children: Dorothy, born December 9, 1911; and Hubert S., who was born on the 6th of May, 1915. The family residence is at No. 6071 Westminster place in St. Louis. During the war period Mr. Merrell subscribed liberally to all war activities and spent much time in the work of promoting the Liberty loan drives and the Red Cross and Y. M. C. A. drives. He belongs to the Masonic lodge, of Colllnsville, Illinois, having been raised in May, 1917, and has since become a Scottish Rite Mason, connected with Missouri Consistory, No. 1, and belongs to Moolah Temple of the Mystic Shrine of St. Louis. He is likewise a member of the Chamber of Commerce, of the Advertising Club, the Algonquin Club, and the St. Louis Drug & Chemical Club. His political endorsement is given to the republican party, and his belief in Congregational doctrines is manifest in his membership in the First Congregational Church of St. Louis. In his life he has been an exponent of high and honorable principles, endorsed by the various organizations with which he is connected, and in business affairs he has been actuated by a laudable ambition that has prompted him to put forth that close application and thorough reliability which constitute the basis of advancement and success.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Frank MeskerFrank Mesker, with a readiness to meet and a fixed purpose to overcome difficulty, entered the field of structural iron and sheet metal work and in that connection has won notable success where many others have met failure. His advancement has been due to his brother Bernard T. Mesker, and to his own industry and perseverance and to a calm, clear judgment which enables him properly to estimate the present and forecast the future. Born in Evansville, Indiana, on the 8th of January, 1861, he is a son of John B. and Elizabeth (Nurry) Mesker, both of whom were of Holland descent. In fact the father was born in Holland and with a sister came from that country to America in the early '30s when ten years of age, settling in Cincinnati, Ohio. While there residing he engaged in the hardware and metal business and also operated a trading boat between Cincinnati and New Orleans. He afterward removed to Evansville, Indiana, where he continued in the same line of business and he erected the first big brick business building in Evansville. There he passed away in 1906. His wife, a native of Cincinnati, was a woman beloved by all who knew her because of her noble qualities as wife, mother and friend.
In his youthful days Frank Mesker attended a private school in Evansville, Indiana, and afterward continued his studies in a commercial college of that city, from which he was graduated in 1876. He came to St. Louis in 1877 and started in business in 1879 with his brother, Bernard T., in a small way in structural iron and sheet metal work at Nos. 1117, 1119 and 1121 Olive street. He had gained some practical knowledge of the business during his boyhood days in connection with his father's business interests. Close application, indefatigable enterprise and thorough reliability characterized the firm of Mesker Brothers from the beginning and their increasing patronage later necessitated their removal to their present location at Sixth, Poplar and Seventh streets, where their business has further developed until it has become one of the largest of the kind in the country. Much of their work of late years has been for the United States government and during the World war they received contracts for ranges and bread bakers which enabled the government to feed six million men per day. Their work in this connection was of the greatest possible value to the cause of the allies. Their products today go into every state in the Union and they also make large shipments to Canada and to Honolulu. Aside from the business of the firm Frank Meeker Is vice president and treasurer of the Mesker Brothers Realty 6 Investment Company. He is uniformly courteous and fair in all of his business relations and his business integrity stands as an unquestioned fact in his career. He possesses initiative and inventive genius along mechanical lines in connection with his manufacturing interests and he has that quality and faculty much prized in the business world.
In 1903, in St. Louis, Mr. Mesker was married to Miss Pauline Gehner, daughter of the late August Gehner, one of the prominent bankers and real estate dealers of this city who was born in Hanover, Germany, September 18, 1846, a son of Conrad and Mary (Hehman) Gehner. He attended school in his native land and also the German Institute of St. Louis from the time of his arrival in this city in 1859 until 1862, when he joined the Union army as a member of Company L, First Missouri Light Artillery, serving until mustered out in July, 1865. He was then a draughtsman in the office of the surveyor general at St. Louis until 1868 and through the succeeding three years was a clerk in an abstract office. In 1871 he opened an abstract office on his own account and conducted it until it was absorbed by the Guaranty Title & Trust Company, of which he was president until November, 1904. He then resigned and organized the Gehner Realty & Investment Company, of which he became president, conducting a general real estate and financial business. He was also president of the German American Bank, became the third vice president of the Planters Hotel Company and a director of the Guaranty Title & Trust Company and the German Fire Insurance Company. He proudly wears the little bronze button that proclaims him a member of Frank P. Blair Post, No. 1, G. A. R. His daughter Pauline became the wife of Frank Mesker and to them have been born two children, Francis A. and John B. G.
Mr. Mesker is a member of the United States Chamber of Commerce, St. Louis Chamber of Commerce, St Louis Club, Sunset Hill Country Club, The Academy of Science of St. Louis, St. Louis Art League, Citizens Industrial League, Missouri Historical Society, St. Louis Mercantile Library Association and Building Industries Association. Mr. and Mrs. Mesker have traveled extensively, visiting many parts of the world including Russia, Hawaii, the Samoan Islands, New Zealand, Australia, British and Dutch New Guinea, the Philippine Islands, and China and Japan. His social life is distinctly domestic. An honorable gentleman of most excellent and cheerful temperament, he never sought notoriety nor prominence and accepted no public office nor trust but he always had the welfare of the city at heart.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Dr. Albert
                  J. MillerMiller, Dr. Albert J.
The tendency of the age is toward specialization. Comparatively few men who enter upon a professional career attempt to cover the entire scope of activity in that field but concentrate their efforts and attention upon a particular line, so that they can thereby reach a high degree of skill and efficiency. This course has been followed by Dr. Albert J. Miller, a St. Louis physician, who has largely given his attention to cancers and skin diseases. Pennsylvania numbers him among her native sons, his birth having occurred in Goldsboro, September 20, 1864. His father, Benjamin Miller, was also a native of the Keystone state, where his ancestors had lived through several generations, although the family is of Scotch origin. Benjamin Miller was a successful farm and resided in Pennsylvania throughout his entire life, his labors being ended in death in 1877, when he was sixty-two years of age. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Susan Kunkle, was a native of Pennsylvania and of German descent. She died in 1898, at the advanced age of seventy-eight years.
Dr. Miller of this review was the eighth in order of birth in a family of eleven children, eight sons and three daughters. He attended the public schools of Mount Wolf, Pennsylvania, and also the State Normal School at Millersville. He then took up the profession of teaching, which he followed in Pennsylvania and Ohio for a period of seven years but regarded this merely as an initial step to other professional labor, becoming imbued with a desire to enter upon the practice of medicine. He therefore began studying with that end in view, matriculating in the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, from which he was graduated in 1883. In the same year he entered active practice in St. Louis, where he has remained, except for the period spent in Ohio, and with the passing of time he has built up an extensive and important practice, in the conduct of which he has been very successful. He is extremely careful in the diagnosis of his cases and his professional judgment is at all times sound and reliable. He has his office in the Holland building and has occupied space on the same floor since the 1st of May, 1899, or for a period of more than twenty-one years. From 1887 until 1890 he had charge of the post-graduate school and polyclinic in St. Louis and from 1891 until 1898 had charge of the cancer and skin department in the Surgical Hotel Hospital at Columbus, Ohio. Since the latter date he has specialized in the treatment of cancer and skin diseases and has become a recognised authority in this branch of practice. He has been called to attend patients in twenty-two states and in Canada.
In St. Louis, on the 7th of August, 1884, Dr. Miller was married to Miss Emma W. Wesseling, a native of St. Louis and a daughter of the late Rudolph and Johanna Wesseling, who were of German birth and became residents of St. Louis in 1839. Dr. and Mrs. Miller have one son, Clayton P., who was born in St. Louis, May 10, 1887, and who married Miss Hope Goodson, of this city. They have one daughter, June Hope Miller, born in St. Louis, November 30, 1916.
Dr. Miller is a republican in his political views but has never been an office seeker. During the World war he was one of the four-minute men and was very helpful in support of the Red Cross and other war activities, doing all in his power to win public cooperation with these organizations. His life has ever been actuated by a laudable ambition. He worked his way through college, determined to win success If it could be accomplished by untiring and honorable effort, and today he stands among the able and prominent physicians of St. Louis, his practice being large and important.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Dr. John J.
                  MillerDr. John J. Miller had passed the seventy-eighth milestone on life's Journey when on the 17th of September, 1920, he was called to his final rest. For many years he had been a well known and successful representative of the medical profession in St. Louis and his hospital work was particularly notable and valuable. He was born at Fayette, Howard county, Missouri, on the 3d of May, 1842, his parents being James and Martha J. (Woodson) Miller, the former a son of James Miller of Martinsburg, Virginia, whose brother, John Miller, was colonel of the Nineteenth United States Infantry in the War of 1812 and became the third governor of the state of Missouri, filling the office for two terms or from 1826 until 1832. The family name is one long associated with the history of this state.
Reared under the parental roof, excellent educational advantages were accorded Dr. Miller, who eagerly improved his opportunities of this character and was graduated with the Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Nashville and the Western Military Institute at Nashville, Tennessee, in June, I860. On completing his course in the latter institution he received a lieutenant's commission from Governor Isham G. Harris of Tennessee. A desire to make the practice of medicine his life work led to his matriculation in the St. Louis Medical College in January, 1862, and he was graduated therefrom with the class of March, 1864. In May of the same year he was appointed assistant army surgeon of the Confederate army and was on duty at the Winder General Hospital and also at the Libby Prison Officers' Hospital at Richmond, Virginia, until the occupation of Richmond by the Federal troops in 1865. While at the Winder Hospital he instituted the practice of turpentine dressings as a remedy for, and preventive of, hospital gangrene.
When the war was over Dr. Miller located for practice in the western suburbs of St. Louis and for many years was one of the most able and successful physicians of that section of the city. He was also physician to the German Protestants' Orphan Asylum, to which position he was called in 1874. In April, 1892, he took up his abode in the city of St. Louis and through all the intervening years until his death remained a most active and valued member of the profession. He kept in touch at all times with the latest scientific researches and discoveries concerning the laws of health and the treatment of disease, and in all of his practice his efforts brought results that indicated a most careful diagnosis and a thorough understanding of the best remedial methods and agencies. He held membership with the St. Louis Medical Society, was a life member of the American Medical Association and belonged also at one time to the Mississippi Valley Medical Society, in which he served on the Judicial council in 1888. He likewise had membership in the Missouri State Medical Association and his writings and contributions to medical literature made him widely known to the profession in various parts of the country.
On the 28th of December, 1865, Dr. Miller was married to Miss Mary E. Burd, the eldest daughter of John W. and Eliza A. Burd, of St. Louis, and they became parents of three children. The only son, Richard Burd Miller, was born in St. Louis county, September 26, 1866, and attended the manual training school of Washington University and also the Bryant & Stratton Business College. When a youth of sixteen he accepted a position as bookkeeper with the Alkire Wholesale Grocer Company, by which he was employed from 1882 until 1886, and through the succeeding eleven years was bookkeeper to president of the Collins Brothers Drug Company. In 1897 he became secretary and is now president of the O. J. Lewis Mercantile Company of St. Louis. He is a Methodist in religious faith, a Mason in fraternal connections and is a member of the Midland Valley Country Club. The elder daughter of the family, Evelyn, born in St. Louis county, July 24, 1872, was educated at Hosmer Hall and on the 11th of June, 1901, became the wife of Frederick Vierling, of St. Louis, by whom she has one son, John Frederick, born in St. Louis, September 7, 1905. The second daughter, Clara Maud, born in St. Louis county, May 28, 1878, is a graduate of the Beethoven Conservatory of Music and Hosmer Hall. On the 29th of January, 1908, she became the wife of Edwin B. Sherzer, of St. Louis. Both Mrs. Vierling and Mrs. Sherzer became charter members of the University Methodist Episcopal church, South.
Dr. Miller was never active in fraternal circles, preferring always to concentrate his interests upon the home, and he was never happier than when with the members of his family at his own fireside. He was a devout Christian, living always as a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church. His father had been one of the founders of the old Eden Chapel, later the Mount Auburn church, and Dr. Miller held membership in the Cabanne Methodist Episcopal church, South, at Bartmer and Goodfellow avenues. He also belonged to Camp No. 731 of the Order of Confederate Veterans and was one of the active spirits in placing the Confederate veterans' monument in Forest Park. His widow and daughters are members of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the two daughters are also members of the Daughters of the American Revolution through their descent from Captain Obadiah Woodson and Captain John Morton on the paternal side, while the son is a member of the Sons of Veterans. The Miller family has long been socially prominent and their own home has ever been the center of warm-hearted hospitality. Dr. Miller always gave his political allegiance to the democratic party but had no desire for public office. He was most conscientious in the performance of all of his professional duties and to this end he constantly read and studied that he might promote his efficiency and make his life of greater service to his fellowmen. His professional ability, his genial nature and his sterling worth made him a most valued and honored resident of St. Louis, and the news of his demise was received with a sense of deep sorrow on the part of all who were associated with him in any way.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Jerre B. Moberly, one of the officers and directors of the Mercantile Trust Company of St. Louis, having charge of the real estate loan department, was born in Saline county, Missouri, December 3, 1874, and is a son of James B. and Rebecca (Barling) Moberly. He attended the public schools of St. Louis and on the 1st of January, 1890, was graduated from the Stoddard school. He started upon his business career at office work with the firm of Hammett £ Morrison, tie and timber contractors, in April, 1890. Through the intervening period he has made steady advancement, the steps in his orderly progression being easily discernible. Today he is at the head of the real estate loan department of the Mercantile Trust Company, with offices at Eighth and Locust streets. He is regarded as an expert valuator of property, possessing detailed knowledge of city real estate, and in building up the department has surrounded himself with a corps of competent men who for many years have specialized in real estate matters. They handle only first mortgage loans and thus render the investor absolutely secure. Mr. Moberly has been a most important factor in the development of the large business now controlled by this department.
Mr. Moberly was married to Miss Alice Muriel Babcock, a daughter of W. H. Babcock. Mrs. Moberly, who is now deceased, became the mother of one child, a son, Milton Dwight. Mr. Moberly has never allied himself with either political party, but casts his ballot according to the dictates of his judgment. He belongs to the Algonquin Golf Club, which indicates much concerning the nature of his recreation.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Christopher Columbus Morris, M.D.Dr. Christopher Columbus Morris, a surgeon of St. Louis, was born in Putnam county, Indiana, December 27, 1858, his parents being Joseph M. and Sarah E. (Owen) Morris. He is a representative of old American families and one of his uncles in the maternal line, William Owen, served with the Union army in the Civil war.
Dr. Morris pursued his early education in the public schools of his native state and afterward attended Licking Academy at Licking, Missouri, subsequent to which time he entered the Missouri State University and won the M. D. degree in 1884. He has since taken post-graduate work in the New York Polyclinic during the winter of 1890-91 and in 1896 Ewing College conferred upon him the Master of Arts degree in recognition of his valuable scientific labors. He took up the general practice of medicine in northeast Missouri, where he remained until 1890, and in 1891 he opened an office in St Louis. In 1893 he organized the St. Louis Baptist Hospital, of which he is now superintendent and surgeon in chief. He is recognized as an eminent authority on his branch of the profession, his skill and ability being proven in many major operations. He has devoted practically his entire time to his profession and is constantly studying to perfect himself in his chosen life work. In 1906 he took postgraduate work in the clinics of London, Berlin and Paris. He is a member of the St Louis Medical Society, the Missouri State Medical Society, the American Medical Association, the American Electro-Therapeutic Association and a life member of the American Hospital Association. He is also a member of the American Association of Railway Surgeons, the Southern Medical Association and Southern States Association of Railway Surgeons; consulting surgeon of the Missouri Pacific Railway and substitute surgeon of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway.
On the 17th of June, 1885, Dr. Morris was united In marriage to Miss Willa Raines and they became the parents of a daughter, Ina, who is now the wife of J. Travis Fleishel, vice president of the Cain-Hurley Lumber Company of St Louis, Missouri. They have two children, Florence and Ina. In 1917 Dr. Morris was called upon to mourn the loss of his wife, who passed away on the 5th of October of that year.
During the war Dr. Morris was chairman of Medical Advisory Board No. 7 of St Louis and also received recognition from the war department for services proffered to the Volunteer Medical Service Corps in connection with the Council of National Defense. In politics he is a republican where political issues are involved but at local elections casts an independent ballot. Fraternally, he is a Mason who has taken the degrees of both York and Scottish Rites. He belongs to the St Louis Club and finds his chief recreation in golf. His religious faith is that of the Baptist church, his membership being with the Second Baptist church of St. Louis, and for the past twenty-eight years he has been the superintendent and chief surgeon of the St Louis Baptist Hospital. In this connection he has done a wonderful work for the benefit of mankind and his labors have indeed been far-reaching and beneficial. He has ever maintained the highest personal as well as professional standards and has always enjoyed the fullest confidence and respect of his professional brethren and the general public.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Morse, E. L.
Excelsior Springs, with its modern improvements and air of general progress and prosperity, largely stands as a monument to the enterprise and business ability of Hon. E. L. Morse, who when a lad of eight years was working as errand boy and general assistant in a little bank and drugstore, the two business interests occupying one room. Since then Mr. Morse has proved his ability as a member of the bar, has been connected with the promotion of electric lights and water plants, with railway building, with real estate dealing and with many other business enterprises which have been dominant factors in the upbuilding of Excelsior Springs. His entire career might be summed up in the one word, advancement, but justice demands a fuller exposition of his life because this advancement has ever been of a character that has contributed to the welfare and benefit of community, commonwealth and country, while at the same time as the architect of his own fortune he has builded wisely and well.
Mr. Morse is a native of the Empire state, his birth having occurred in Bing-hamton, Broome county, New York, March 10, 1866, his parents being Benjamin Whitney and Emeline (Bissell) Morse, who were natives of New York and Pennsylvania respectively. The father was a contractor and builder of Binghamton and conducted a very profitable business. In 1872 he came to Missouri, settling at Osborn where he purchased a farm, continuing its cultivation until his death in 1894. His ancestors were among the earliest settlers of New York and tradition has it that seven brothers of the name came to America from the old world at an early period in the colonization of this country. Both the father and the grandfather of Hon. E. L. Morse prospered in business, but the Civil war brought on some reverses.
The educational opportunities of E. L. Morse were extremely limited owing to the fact that when eight years of age he began to work in the bank and drug store of Osborn, spending eight years in that connection. He was sixteen years of age when he came to Excelsior Springs and established a drug store of his own, having thoroughly acquainted himself with the business in his previous employment. He was a registered pharmaceutist and knew every feature of the trade'. He opened his drug store in 1880 and carried on the business for a year, at the end of which time he sold out. He then went to Kansas City where he entered the Kansas City School of Law, pursuing his studies for two years, after which he was admitted to the bar in 1888. Returning to Excelsior Springs he began the practice of his profession and was elected to the office of city attorney in which capacity he served for eight years, making a most creditable record by the prompt and faithful performance of his duties. The limitless field of business, however, called to him and in 1888 he built and operated the Excelsior Springs Light & Water Plant. Still the chance for the expansion of his interests made demand upon his energy and in 1893 he built the Kansas City, Excelsior Springs and Northern Railway, which he afterward sold to the Wabash system in connection with which the line is now operated. Mr. Morse also promoted and became the president of the company that built the Elms hotel. In this undertaking he was associated with the same people that were connected with him in the railway building. Later he organized the Excelsior Springs Land & Investment Company which owned the town site. This company took over all the assets and holdings of the original Townsite & Land Company in 1893 at the time of the building of the railroad. It is due to Mr. Morse's energy, enterprise and foresight that Excelsior Springs is the attractive city one finds today. He still owns a large amount of property here, including eight blocks of the improved property in the business district. He organized the Excelsior Springs Trust Company. Opportunity has ever been to him a call to action a call to which he has made ready response.
In 1887 Mr. Morse was married to Miss Kate Lemon who passed away in 1893, leaving three children. Benjamin W., deceased; Wallace M. and Howard Holden. In 1895 Mr. Morse was again married, his second union being with Harriett C. Chamberlain of Denver, Colorado, and they have become parents of three children: Kate, Marguerite and William. The son Howard served through the World war. He is a young man of attractive personality and very popular in Excelsior Springs. He made a most creditable record while in the service being with General March and General Goethals. He was overseas five times and was with General Pershing when the armistice was signed.
In his political views Mr. Morse is a republican and is a recognized leader in the ranks of the party in this state. In 1892 he went to the state legislature and was instrumental in securing the passage of a bill enabling Excelsior Springs to build its sewer system. In 1900 he made the big fight whereby the streets in Excelsior Springs were paved. Though he was strongly opposed in this undertaking at the time there is now no one but what feels that his course was most wise and Justifiable. Mr. Morse has a wide acquaintance among prominent political leaders of the country and numbers among his friends Ex-Governor Lowden of Illinois and Senator James E. Watson of Indiana. There is perhaps no record in this volume which indicates more clearly that notwithstanding the advantages one may or may not have in the way of education he must eventually formulate and determine his own character. His life record also proves that the strongest and best in men is brought out through the pressure of adversity and the stimulus of opposition. With but limited advantages at the outset of his career he has made notable progress, accomplishing great things in the way of city building and there is no one to whom Excelsior Springs is more deeply indebted than to E. L. Morse.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.