Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" N "

Charles NagelCharles Nagel was born in Colorado county, Texas, August 9, 1849, a son of Dr. Herman and Fredericka Nagel. His paternal grandfather was engaged in commercial pursuits and was a man of influence in his small community. The maternal grandfather and great-grandfather of Charles Nagel were Lutheran clergymen. His father was a physician, graduated at the University of Berlin, Germany, in the early forties. In the year 1847 his parents landed at New Orleans and proceeded to the interior of Texas, where they resided until 1863, when because of his sympathy with the Union, his father was obliged to leave the south. Taking his son Charles with him he fled to Mexico. In January they left for New York by a sailing ship, and arrived in St. Louis, Missouri, in February, 1864.                                                                                            
In the acquirement of his education Charles Nagel attended a German country school in Austin county, Texas, and later a German private school in St. Louis. He afterward entered the high school at St. Louis, and was there graduated in 1868. He was valedictorian of his class. His preparation for the bar was made as a student in the St. Louis Law School, in which he completed a two years' course, and also in a one year's course at the University of Berlin, Germany, where he specialized in the study of Roman law, political economy, history and kindred subjects, thus pursuing branches of study of the greatest value to him in his law practice. On again taking up his abode in St. Louis, Mr. Nagel opened a law office and through the intervening period has concentrated his time and efforts upon his profession. The zeal with which he has devoted his energies to his law practice, the careful regard evinced for the interests of his clients and an assiduous and unrelaxing attention to all the details of his cases have brought him a large business and made him very successful in its conduct He frequently contributes to magazines and newspapers, and devotes considerable time to the discussion of public questions. His briefs always show wide research, careful thought, and the best and strongest reasons which can be urged for his contentions, presented in cogent and logical form and illustrated by a style unusually lucid and clear. He has been equally successful in the educational field. In 1885 he was appointed to a professorship in the St. Louis Law School, a position which he filled for * twenty-four years. He has been most clear in his exposition of the law and wise in his direction of the mental development of pupils along the line of Jurisprudence. Aside from his professional activities he has become a director of the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, the St. Louis Union Trust Company, the International Bank of St. Louis, and vice-president of the Chamber of Commerce of the United States. In 1911 he received the LL.D degree from Brown University. The same degree was conferred upon him by Villanova University of Pennsylvania, and by the Washington University of St Louis. In his law practice he has maintained several partnership relations having, among others, been a member of the firm of Finkelnburg, Nagel * Kirby from 1903 until 1905, of the firm of Nagel & Kirby from 1906 until 1909, while in 1913, after he retired from the cabinet, he again entered upon that relation.
On the 4th of August, 1876, Mr. Nagel was married to Fannie Brandeis, of Louisville, Kentucky, who died in 1890. On the 1st day ofMay, 1895, he married Anne Sheplly, of St. Louis. His children are: Hlldegard Nagel; Mary S., the wife of Homer L. Sweetser, of Brookline, Massachusetts, who in 1917 volunteered for the navy and served as an ensign, being on duty first in Washington, while later he was assigned to a transport; Edith, who is the wife of Henry Augustus Rice Putnam, who was graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology as a mining engineer and served as a captain of engineers in the. United States Army during the World war; Charles Nagel, Jr., who joined the United States Navy Reserve at Yale about the time he was to enter upon his first year's studies there and was mustered out at the close of December, 1918, but has not yet been discharged; and Anne Dorothea.
In politics Mr. Nagel has always been a stalwart republican and is a recognized leader in the ranks of his party in Missouri. In 1881 he was called upon to represent his district in the general assembly, serving for the two years' term. In 1893 he became president of the St. Louis City Council, and filled that position for four years. He was a member of the republican national committee for 1908 until 1912 and from March, 1909, until March, 1913, was secretary of commerce and labor in the cabinet of President Taft. He is a trustee of Washington University of St. Louis, and has been a member of the board of control of the St. Louis Museum of Fine Arts. He has connection with the worth while clubs of St. Louis, including the University, St. Louis, Commercial, Round Table, Mercantile, Noonday and the St. Louis Country Club; also with the Bankers Club of New York, and the Metropolitan and Cosmos Clubs of Washington, D. C. As a member of the Chamber of Commerce of the United States, which was organized through his efforts as secretary of commerce and labor, he participated in the war work during 1917 and 1918, particularly as a member of the price committee and the war committee. While secretary of commerce and labor he presided over the convention of delegates representing the United States, Great Britain, Russia and Japan, which formulated the Seal Treaty, thereby putting an end to the endless and costly controversies upon that subject, and resulting in the conservation of the valuable seal herds of the several countries. He has exerted a widely felt influence over public thought and opinion in his city and state, and has had not a little to do with shaping public policy. He is usually found in those gatherings where men of intelligence are met for the discussion of vital problems, and it is well known that association with him means expansion and elevation.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Walter Wells Nail, clerk of the United States district court for the eastern district of Missouri, was born in Washington county, this state, June 15, 1859, and is a son of Greenbury Blackstone Nail, now deceased, who was a native of Kentucky and a representative of one of the old families of that state, while more remote ancestry lived in Virginia and came of French and Scotch lineage. Greenbury B. Nail was reared and educated in Kentucky and in 1862 became a resident of St. Louis but in 1863 removed to Washington county. He followed general mercantile pursuits there very successfully until 1868 when he established his home in Iron county and resided at Ironton to the time of his death which occurred in 1907 when he was seventy-seven years of age. He also followed merchandising at Ironton and in fact devoted his entire life to commercial pursuits. In early manhood he wedded Sally A. Wells who was born in Shelby county, Kentucky, and belonged to one of the old families of that state. Her father, George B. Wells, was a Confederate soldier who was killed during the Civil war. The death of Mrs. Nail occurred at Ironton, Missouri, in 1909, when she was sixty-seven years of age. By her marriage she had become the mother of five sons and three daughters, but only two are living, Walter Wells and H. A. Nail, the latter of Jefferson City, Missouri.
Walter W. Nail pursued his education in Arcadia College of Iron county, Missouri, being there graduated in 1878. Both before and after leaving college he was employed in his father's store and when in 1878 his father was elected county clerk of Iron county the son served as his deputy. In 1887 he came to St. Louis and was appointed chief deputy United States marshal for the eastern district of Missouri, continuously and acceptably filling that office for twenty years or until the 1st of April, 1907, when he was appointed to his present position —that of United States district court clerk, in which capacity he has since served and by virtue of the length of his service he is the oldest executive in the United States custom house of St. Louis. The office of clerk of the United States district court requires familiarity with federal practice, promptness and exactness in the keeping of papers and records, strict integrity in the handling of money belonging to litigants and the government, courteous treatment of the public and great discretion in giving out information, all of which qualities Mr. Nail possesses in an eminent degree. His appointment to his present office came to him through Hon. David P. Dyer, who said: "Nothing can be said that will give a correct and faithful statement of his worth as officer, friend and citizen. There are few men as good and none any better. No dishonest dollar ever came to his hands and in all things he is accurate and faithful."
At Ironton, Missouri, June 19, 1880, Mr. Nail was married to Miss Florence M. Sanner, a native of .Illinois and a daughter of Jacob and Margaret J. Sanner. They have become parents of five children, three sons and two daughters, who are with them in a pleasant home at No. 4122 Botanical avenue. Mr. Nail has always given his political endorsement to the democratic party. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum and the motive springs of his character are found in his religious belief which is evidenced in his membership in St. John's Methodist Episcopal church, South.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


John J. Nangle, member of the St. Louis bar, has been engaged in practice since 1914, devoting his time throughout the intervening years to law work. Mr. Nangle is a native of Omaha, Nebraska. He was born March 28, 1891, a son of John Nangle, a native of Ireland who came to America in 1880 and is now general manager for the Drovers Packing Company of Kansas City. He was formerly manager for the Cudahy Packing Company in Kansas City and has thus for a number of years been identified with the packing interests of western Missouri. He married Catherine Cogan, a representative of an Irish family, the wedding being celebrated in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1888. They became the parents of five sons and three daughters, John J. being the eldest of the number. There is one brother deceased, while the others of the family are living.
John J. Nangle was educated in the Christian Brothers College and completed a high school course. He afterward attended St. Mary's College at St. Marys, Kansas, for three and a half years, pursuing the classical course and was graduated from the Kansas City School of Law in June, 1914, being admitted to practice in the state and federal courts on the 6th of July of that year. He started upon his professional career with the firm of White 6 Lyons of Kansas City as a law clerk, continuing with them until 1912 when h$ became a student in the Kansas City School of Law. Following his graduation and admission to the bar he became assistant attorney for the Missouri Pacific Railroad at Kansas City and was with that corporation until 1916. During that period he was associated with Edward J. White, general attorney for the Missouri Pacific at Kansas City. In 1916 he became assistant claims attorney at St. Louis for the Missouri Pacific and there remained until 1917, when he resumed the practice of law associating himself with the insurance organization of Lynton T. Block and Company, who represent various important insurance companies. lit this connection he has since continued and is making a most creditable record through his important work with the firm. He is also representing the Employers Indemnity Corporation of Kansas City and the Mid-West Insurance Company of Wichita, Kansas.
In Kansas City, on the 27th of June, 1917, Mr. Nangle was married to Miss Mary Kathryn McKenna, a daughter of P. A. McKenna, of Kansas City. They have become parents of one child, Mary Kathryn, born July 22, 1918. They make their home at No. 710 Limit avenue in University City. Their religious faith is that of the Catholic church being communicants of All Saints church in University City. Mr. Nangle also belongs to the Knights of Columbus in which he has attained the fourth degree. He belongs also to the Phi Alpha Delta law fraternity, is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and in his political views is a democrat. During the World war he served on the legal advisory board of the fifteenth ward and did active work in behalf of the Liberty loan and other war activities. Along strictly professional lines his connection is with the St. Louis, Missouri State and American Bar Associations. He keeps in touch with the advanced thought and progress of the profession and holds to its highest ethical standards in his practice.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Nekula, Rev. John
The Catholic ministry has many prominent representatives in St. Louis and among this number is the Rev. John Nekula, pastor of St. Wenceslaus' Catholic church, situated at No. 3018 Oregon avenue. He was born in Moravia, in the province of Austria, now the Czecho-Slovakia republic, on the 3d of January, 1871, and is a son of Jacob and Catherine (Brokes) Nekula. The father died in 1918 and the mother is still living in the old home at Moravia.
Mr. Nekula was educated in the Theological Seminary at Brno, Moravia, and in the Louvain University at Lou vain, Belgium. In 1894 he came to St. Louis and completed his studies in Kenrfck Seminary. On the 8th of June, 1896, he was ordained to the priesthood by Archbishop Kane and was thereafter appointed assistant priest to St. John of Nepomuk church where he served for five years. In 1900 he was appointed pastor of St. Wenceslaus' parish, over which he has presided for the past twenty years. The parish has been built up from about ninety families to three hundred families and the school has an enrollment of about one hundred and seventy children, making this one of the strong and important parishes of the city. The membership of the church is composed wholly of Bohemian families and Rev. Mr. Nekula is proving a most able leader of his flock, working earnestly for the establishment, of the highest Christian principles among his people and laboring untiringly for the upbuilding of the church.
Mr. Nekula belongs to the Knights of Columbus and gives his political allegiance to the democratic party. He was sent to Europe in November, 1919, by the Catholic National War Council of Washington, D. C. to study conditions abroad and to lecture in the Czecho-Slovakia country. He spent seven months traveling throughout that country, also through France, Italy and Switzerland, and in Rome made a report to the pope. He returned home on the 28th of May, 1920. While in Europe he crossed the battle fields of France eight times as he traveled from point to point and gained a most intimate knowledge of conditions which then existed and of events which had taken place while the war was in progress.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Robert Marvin NelsonRobert Marvin Nelson, secretary and treasurer of the Certain-teed Products Corporation of St. Louis, was born at Volga, South Dakota, October 13, 1885, his parents being Edwin and Tena (Void) Nelson, whose family numbered two sons, the elder, William Edwin, being now deceased. The parents removed to South Dakota in the latter part of the '70s, the father coming from-New York, while the mother is a native of Iowa. Mr. Nelson was interested in lands, both in connection with mining and agricultural activity. On leaving South Dakota he went to St. Paul, Minnesota, and there engaged in manufacturing interests. He passed away in St. Paul about 1902 and his widow is still residing in that city.
Robert M. Nelson pursued a high school education in St. Paul and then entered Harvard, where he was graduated in 1913 with the Bachelor of Arts degree. During his college days he was a member of the editorial staff of the Harvard Advocate and he also took a keen interest in athletics. He made his initial step in the business world by working after hours during his high school days for the West Publishing Company and for two years he was on the editorial staff. Later he completed a law course by study at night and was admitted to the Minnesota bar and became a member of the bar association of that state.
It was in July, 1913, that Mr. Nelson removed to St. Louis and became city salesman for the Pierce Oil Corporation. In 1914 he became identified with what is now known as the Certain-teed Products Corporation, accepting a minor position but steadily working his way up through the sales department and advertising department. In the latter part of 1915 he was made advertising manager and so continued until January 1, 1918, when he was elected secretary and treasurer of the Certain-teed Products Corporation. The business of this company is steadily increasing and plans are being carried out for a general production increase throughout the country in both the roofing and the paint and varnish branches of the business. This expansion is entailing the extension or manufacturing plants, especially in the east, and the enlargement of factories near Chicago, together with the establishment of new foreign offices. In the autumn of 1920, the company took over Thomas Potter Sons ft Company, Inc., of Philadelphia, a deal involving over $3,000,000. The Potter concern is one of the oldest manufacturers of linoleums, floor coverings, oil cloths, imitation leather, in the field. Since the European war all of the offices abroad have been reopened save those in Germany and new offices have been established in Copenhagen and Australia. The Certain-teed Products Corporation is capitalized for twenty-five million dollars and that the business is steadily increasing is indicated in the fact that the shipments made in the first eight months of 1920 exceeded by nearly forty per cent those of the corresponding period for 1919. All business, foreign or domestic, is cleared through the St. Louis offices. Mr. Nelson has made for himself a prominent position in the business circles of the city by reaching his present official connection with the Certain-teed Products Corporation. His work is ever characterized by thoroughness and energy and he has a well trained mind and a complete knowledge of advertising, selling and finance. He quickly grasps the fundamentals of the work in hand and nothing can cause him to lose sight of these fundamentals until the object is accomplished. His success is due to his broad primary education and his study of fundamental conditions. His good education enables him to apply theory to practice and he is particularly well grounded in economics. In everything he does he is thorough, possesses natural good business judgment and makes decisions quickly but not hastily.
Mr. Nelson was united in marriage February 10, 1915, in St. Louis, to Miss Daphne McKee Brown, a daughter of George Marion Brown, and they have two children: Dorothy Katharine, born August 22, 1916; and Daphne Brown, born September 80, 1920. Mr. George Marion Brown is president of the Certain-teed Products Corporation, secretary-treasurer and member of the board of directors of the Standard Slate Products Company of Granville, New York; secretary of Thomas Potter Sons & Company, Inc., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; secretary of the Harvard Club of St. Louis 1920-1921, and member of the Scholarship Committee of the Associated Harvard Clubs. In politics Mr. Nelson is a liberal republican and his religious faith is manifest in his membership in the Pilgrim Congregational church. He belongs to the St. Louis Country, Racquet and Noonday Clubs of St. Louis and the Harvard Club of Boston and New York; also the Indian Harbor Yacht Club and Greenwich Country Club, both in Greenwich, Connecticut. He finds his chief diversion in golf and yachting and also enjoys other athletic sports. In 1918 he won a gold medal as stroke oar of the Minnesota Boat Club eight-oared shell in a race at Springfield, Massachusetts, at the National Association of Amateur Oarsmen Regatta, his crew winning by a length against Detroit, with other crews trailing. He also stroked Minnesota four and eight oared crews to victory in Winnipeg, Canada, in 1908. Mr. Nelson has a very pleasing personality, is friendly, amiable and big-hearted, so that he is popular wherever he goes.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Norton NewcombNorton Newcomb, president of the Newcomb Brothers Wall Paper Company of St Louis, was born February 13, 1871, in the city which has always been his place of residence. His father, George A. Newcomb, now deceased, was a native of Massachusetts, born February 14, 1841. For a long period he was the president of the Newcomb Brothers Wall Paper Company, so continuing until his death, and through his enterprise and progressive methods developing a business of large and substantial proportions. During the Civil war he acted as secretary to Admiral Lee in the North Atlantic fleet and afterward was a prominent member of the Grand Army of the Republic, serving as commander of Ransom Post of St. Louis. He married Julia A. Floyd, a. daughter of James Floyd, and they became the parents of five sons and two daughters, of whom Norton is the eldest. The others are: Charles L., vice president of the Newcomb Brothers Wall Paper Company, who married Anna Heron and has three adopted children: George A., who is a traveling salesman for the Newcomb Brothers Wall Paper Company and who married Beryl Roberts, by whom he has two children; Harold B., who is also representing the wall paper company as a traveling salesman and who married Josephine McCrea, by whom he has two children; Floyd T., who is a traveling salesman for the Atlas Powder Company and who married Alvina Conrad, by whom he has two children: Dorothy, who is the wife of Hiram B. Mason, secretary and treasurer of the St. Louis National League Baseball Club; and Edna.
Norton Newcomb, whose name introduces this review, was educated in the public schools of St. Louis and in the Central high school. When seventeen years of age he started out in the business world as office boy with the W. P. Nelson Real Estate Company of St. Louis. When eighteen years of age he began clerking for the Newcomb Brothers Wall Paper Company and during the succeeding fourteen years won advancement from time to time until he was made a traveling salesman. When thirty-two years of age he became connected with the National Wall Paper Company, with which he continued for a year as assistant manager. He then returned to the Newcomb Brothers Wall Paper Company as traveling salesman, which position he held until the death of his father in 1906, when he was elected to the presidency of the company and has so acted to the present time. The business has been established since 1852 and is one of the largest jobbing and wholesale paper houses in the west. They do a large retail contracting business and in the conduct of their interests the most progressive and enterprising methods are employed. Mr. New-comb Js also the president of the St. Louis Retail Wall Paper Dealers Association and his prominence in trade circles is indicated in the fact that he has occupied this position for fifteen years. He has likewise been president for three years of the National Wall Paper Jobbers Association.
In Racine, Wisconsin, July 17, 1903, Mr. Newcomb was married to Miss Pearl M. Spalding, a daughter of Eugene Spalding, a farmer. They have become the parents of six Children, four sons and two daughters: Julia Floyd, fourteen years of age; Norton, Jr., a lad of twelve; Robert S., ten; Louise Christy, eight; James F., five; and Donald, a little lad of two summers. The religious faith of Mr. and Mrs. Newcomb is that of the Presbyterian church.
Mr. Newcomb is identified with various organizations, belonging to the Salesmanship Club, to the Chamber of Commerce and also to the Missouri Athletic Association, of which he was president for three years, while for nine years he was a member of its board of governors. His political allegiance has always been given to the republican party and he recognizes the duties and obligations of citizenship as well as its privileges and opportunities. He is widely known and has long been a man of Influence not only in business but in club circles in St. Louis and has done not a little in shaping public thought and action along various lines.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


William Louis NiekampNiekamp, William L.
For twenty-eight years William L. Niekamp has been identified with the business of which he is now the president. Various changes, however, have occurred in the organization of the house and in the personnel of the firm, leading eventually to the adoption of the style of the Beck & Corbitt Iron Company. Mr. Niekamp is a native son of St. Louis. He was born June 21, 1877, and is a son of Charles Henry Niekamp, who was born in Osnabruck, Hanover, Germany, in 1851, and who came to America in 1854 with his parents, the family settling in St. Louis. There Charles H. Niekamp established a file business in 1877, becoming senior partner in the firm of Niekamp & Baker. The business was steadily developed along substantial lines and in 1891 was reorganized under the name of the Globe File & Hardware Company. In 1895 this became the Globe File & Iron Company and in 1901 the business was consolidated with that of the Beck & Corbitt Iron Company, of which Charles H. Niekamp remained a member until his death in 1913. He had made for himself a very creditable position in the business circles of the city and had steadily progressed since starting out on his own account. He married Sophia Miller, who was born in St. Louis in 1853 and was a daughter of Orlando Miller, who was engaged in the cooperage business. Their marriage was celebrated in St. Louis in May, 1874, and they became the parents of three sons and six daughters, William Louis being the third son.
Educated in the public schools of St. Louis, William Louis Niekamp passed through successive grades to the high school and in 1892 entered the employ of the Globe File & Hardware .Company, with which he has since been associated, although various changes in the firm have occurred during the intervening period. Today he is the president of the Beck & Corbitt Iron Company, to which position he was elected in 1914, so that he has now been the chief executive of the concern for six years. A very large and substantial business has been developed and in its control Mr. Niekamp displays marked executive ability and wise administrative direction. He has also become associated with a number of other important industrial and commercial concerns, being now a director of the St. Louis Screw Company, of the Stiles Manufacturing Company, of the Chipley Underwriting Company and the United States Bank. Moreover, he has been a close student of questions affecting the development of trade and of all labor conditions and is connected with many interests which are proving effective forces in business advancement. He is a member of the Employers Association; also of the Associated Industries of Missouri; the American Iron £ Steel Institute; the American Iron, Steel & Heavy Hardware Association, of which he is the vice president; the Society of Mining* & Metallurgy Engineers; the Railway Business Association and others. He belongs to the Chamber of Commerce of St. Louis and is also a member of the Chamber of Commerce of the United States,
Mr. Niekamp was united in marriage to Miss Engie Marie Schults, who was born in St. Louis, October 18, 1877, a daughter of Christian Schultz, a general merchant of St. Louis. They have one child, William Stacey.
Mr. Niekamp is well known in social relations, belonging to the Missouri Athletic Association, the Normandie Golf Club, the Sunset Hill Golf Club and the Riverside Club. Fraternally he is a Mason and has taken the degrees of the Scottish Rite and also of the Mystic Shrine. His political endorsement is given to the republican party, but honors and emoluments have not attracted him into the political field as a seeker after office, as he has ever preferred to concentrate his energies and attention upon his business affairs, where he has gained for himself a most enviable place as well as a substantial measure of prosperity.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Herman Louis Nietert, M.D.Dr. Herman Louis Nietert, an able surgeon of St. Louis, was born in Edwardsville, Illinois, February 22, 1866. His father, Frederick Nietert, was a native of Germany and came to America in 1845, when twenty years of age, originally settling in Cincinnati, while during the '60s he removed to Edwardsville, Illinois. He was a farmer and stock raiser, conducting his business very successfully. He passed away in September, 1919, at the notable age of ninety-four years, and his wife, who bore the maiden name of Minnie Slueter, passed away in 1910, at the age of eighty-six years. She too was a native of Germany and came to the United States prior to the Civil war. By her marriage she became the mother of twelve children, seven sons and five daughters.
Herman L. Nietert, who was the sixth in order of birth, was educated in the public schools of Edwardsville and at Shurtleff College at Alton, Illinois. His early life to the age of sixteen years was spent upon the home farm, and after completing his studies in the local schools, he entered the St. Louis Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1889. After winning his degree he served for one year as interne in the St. Louis City Hospital and then spent two years abroad, studying in Heidelberg and in Vienna. Returning to St. Louis he entered upon the private practice of his profession, in which he has since continued but tor some time has specialized in surgery. In 1902 he was superintendent and surgeon in charge of the St. Louis City Hospital continuing in that position from 1899 until 1902, a period of four years. He was also post mortem physician for four years or until 1899. He belongs to the St. Louis, Missouri State, and American Medical Associations. He is now surgeon tor the Deaconess Hospital and the Lutheran Hospital, and he has an extensive private practice which is indicative of the confidence reposed in his professional skill and ability. During the war he served as a member of the Medical Reserve Corps and was commissioned captain.
On the 30th of November, 1902, Dr. Nietert was married in St. Louis to Miss {Catherine Ziegenhein, a native of St. Louis and a daughter of Henry and Katherine (Hinkel) Ziegenhein. Fraternally Dr. Nietert is a Mason belonging to Meridian Lodge, A. F. & A. M. and to Ascalon Commandery, K. T. of St. Louis. He also has membership in the Sunset Inn Country Club. His political endorsement is given to the republican party, and he keeps thoroughly in touch with the questions and issues of the day but has never had ambition for office outside of the strict path of his profession. The thoroughness with which he has devoted his attention to his practice has led to the attainment of the enviable position which he now occupies as one of the leading surgeons of St. Louis.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Byron NugentNugent, Byron
There is something inspiring in the life record of such men as Byron Nugent, of whom it was said, "Coming to St. Louis thirty-five years ago there was no time in the interval from 1873 to the day of his death in 1908 when Byron Nugent was not a force for progress in the life of this community." For many years he was actively engaged in the dry goods business and became equally prominent as a factor in financial circles but the attainment of success was only one end and aim of his life. He always recognized and met his obligations to his fellowmen and his duties of citizenship and thereby became one of the valued and honored residents of St. Louis.
Mr. Nugent was born in Marysburgh, Prince Edward county, Ontario, July 1, 1842, and was a son of Thomas and Eleanor A. (Morgan) Nugent. At the usual age he became a pupil in the public schools and later attended Victoria College, at Coberg, Ontario. He was. a young man of twenty-one years when he made his initial step in the business world by accepting a clerkship in the store of Robert Carrie, a Scotch merchant of St Thomas, Ontario. He afterward went to New York City where he was employed by the firm of Lord & Taylor, from 1865 until 1867. He then visited his old home in Canada and one day met on the street an old friend who said he was going to Chicago. Mr. Nugent was then on his way to a telegraph office to wire acceptance of a position in New York but instantly changed his mind and that night accompanied his friend to Chicago. Thus he took his place in the commercial development of the middle west where he was later destined to play an important part in the business development and upbuilding of the section. He soon secured a situation in the wholesale house of Bowen, Hunt & Winslow, which went out of existence soon after the Chicago fire.
In 1869 Mr. Nugent established business on his own account by opening a small store in Mt Vernon, Illinois, where he was joined by his brother, Morgan Nugent, who passed away in 1870. It was in March, 1873, that Byron Nugent sold his store in Mt Vernon and cast in his lot with the business men of St. Louis where he purchased a small store formerly owned by James Barron, at the southeast corner of Broadway and Franklin avenue, and conducted it under the style of B. Nugent from 1873 to 1878. Here he later admitted to partnership his three brothers, James G., Daniel C. and Charles W. Nugent, all of whom are now deceased except Daniel C. Business was carried on for a time under the firm style of B. Nugent ft Brothers, and in 1899 their interests were incorporated under the name of B. Nugent ft Brothers Dry Goods Company, of which Byron Nugent became president and so continued until his life's labors were ended in death. His careful direction of the business, his well laid plans and his unfaltering-enterprise proved effective elements in the attainment of notable success. The integrity of his methods combined with his determination to bring desired results in all of his business affairs. Aside from his commercial pursuits he became a director of the Boatmen's Bank of St. Louis and his name was ever an honored one on commercial paper.
In January, 1873, Mr. Nugent was married to Miss Julia Lake, of Nunda, New York, and they became the parents of three sons: Edwin T., Byron and Julian L. - It is said that Mr. Nugent was never happier than when he gathered around him at his firseside his wife and children as evening came on and put behind him the cares and perplexities of business. In his later years he traveled extensively and gained comprehensive knowledge of the lands and peoples that he visited, for he was a close observer and possessed a most retentive memory. He had a most interesting way of recounting his reminiscences of his travels and was at all times an entertaining talker.
Mr. Nugent belonged to the Episcopal church and his life was ever the expression of high ideals.   He held membership with the St. Louis Country 'and Noonday Clubs, also belonged to the Mercantile Club and to the St Louis Retail Merchants Association which at his death expressed regret in a fitting memorial, as follows:
"Resolved, that in the death of Byron Nugent, our association, the retail business men of the city and of the county and the city of St Louis have suffered a loss which it is difficult to estimate. For more than a generation he has stood in the front rank of merchants in this vicinity for success, integrity and public spirit High character, untiring industry and unswerving devotion to the interests of the city have made his name and the name of his business universally known. We mourn his loss and desire these words to express as best we may our appreciation of what his life has meant to us, his business friends with .whom he has so long associated in friendly endeavor.
"Resolved, that the retail merchants be requested to close their stores on Tuesday, April 7, between two and three P. M., the hour of the funeral.
One of the local papers said at his death, "Of a numerous family of strong men, from a sturdy Canadian race, the merchant who passed from the scenes of his activity on Saturday, April 4, 1908, was in a sense a pioneer. His little place of business of thirty-five years ago was opened at a time when St Louis was yet merely, 'promising9 and it was men of fineNugent type that made the promise good in the brilliantly successful development of this day. Byron Nugent was active in a broad way publicly and in an effective way in his private beneficences. Uncompromising in truth, sympathetic in disposition, unsusceptible to flattery* he was a man of sterling qualities and unreserved in friendships once made. Always forceful in his public spirit and disinterested in his devotion to the welfare of the community, positive in decision, contemporaneous with the spirit and progress of his time, aristocratic by nature but a plain man by act and by tendency, he lived a life worth living, a credit to his name and to his city. His passing to the tomb leaves an indelible impress upon the activities of St. Louis and in the hearts of those who knew him."
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.