Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" P "

Pape, Frederick W.
The office of commissioner of parks and recreation in a city like St. Louis requires of any incumbent the possession of certain qualities beyond the mere ability to direct the work of improvement and control the management of the park system; there must also be that quality of humanitarianism which recognizes the needs of the public in the matter of recreation grounds for the young and a place that will make its appeal to the better side of nature through its beauty and adornment. Well equipped to meet all the requirements of this office Frederick W. Pape is making an.excellent record as one of the public officials of St. Louis. He was born in this city March 4, 1877, and is a son of the late William C. Pape, also a native of St. Louis, and a grandson of Christian Pape. The family was founded in St. Louis at a very early period, or in the '40s. The father was reared and educated in this city and after reaching man's estate engaged in business as a florist and landscape gardener, thus following in the business footsteps of his father. He was a stanch republican in politics and an active worker for the party. For five years he filled the office of general superintendent of the St. Louis park department, being the incumbent in that position at the time of his death which occurred in 1899, when he was forty-three years of age. His son, Frederick W. Pape, was then appointed to fill out the unexpired term and occupied the position for three and a half years in the same capacity as his father had done.
Frederick W. Pape was educated in the public schools of St. Louis and when a youth of sixteen began working for his father and in that way acquainted himself with all branches of the business, including work as florist, horticulturist and landscape gardener. During the construction of the grounds of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition at St. Louis he was assistant to George C. Kessler, the chief landscape architect. He served in that capacity for fourteen months and then took up the horticultural business on his own account, giving his attention thereto until 1912, when he accepted the position of assistant city forester. He thus served until July, 1918, when by promotion he became city forester and acted in that capacity until February 1, 1919, when he was appointed to the office of commissioner of parks and recreation. His training from his boyhood days has fitted him for the duties and responsibilities that now devolve upon him. He displays the utmost thoroughness and care in the management of the park system and is constantly studying methods for their improvement and beauty and for the promotion of their utility as public playgrounds. His entire period of service in public office has been marked by thoroughness and devotion to duty which have won him high commendation, and his advancement to his present place was indeed well merited.
Mr. Pape has been married twice. In St. Louis, November 12, 1902, he wedded Miss Mae Miller, a native of this city and a daughter of George G. and Josephine (Conlan) Miller. Mrs. Pape passed away in St. Louis, April 8, 1907, at the age of thirty years, leaving two children, Raymond and Mae. On the 6th of June, 1909, in St. Louis, Mr. Pape was married to Miss Louise Miller, a sister of his first wife and also a native of St. Louis.
In his political views Mr. Pape is a stalwart republican and has been an active worker in the party since attaining his majority, now serving as a member of the republican city central committee. He belongs to the Lutheran church and is a member of Itaska Lodge, No. 420, A. F. & A. M., and also of Missouri Chapter, No. 1, R. A. M. He likewise belongs to the Tower Grove Turner Society. During the progress of the World war he was active in the sale of Liberty bonds and also made a personal canvass of his locality for Red Cross subscriptions. In fact he did everything in his power to assist in financing the war and promoting the work which could be done at home for the support of the soldiers in the field. Mr. Pape deserves much credit for what he has accomplished. His father met a tragic death, leaving his son, Frederick W., the eldest of six children, as the sole support of a widowed mother and the younger members of the family. He bravely took up the heavy task that devolved upon him and throughout his entire life has met every duty with the same courage, resolution and conscientious purpose. He has ever been a man of high ideals, devoted to his profession and is doing much good, especially in providing breathing spaces for the poor through the development of the park system and playgrounds in congested districts and thus directly benefiting a class hitherto much neglected.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


James J. Parks, secretary of the Missouri State Life Insurance Company, is taking active part in the upbuilding of a strong organization which has come to rank with the leading insurance companies of the middle west, its business showing remarkable growth and development for the past few years and especially within the past few months. This is due to the enterprise and thoroughly organized plans of its officers who are taking cognizance of every condition bearing upon the insurance business and are wisely and promptly utilizing their opportunities for advancement. Mr. Parks comes to St. Louis, Missouri, from the neighboring state of Illinois, his birth having occurred in Rock Island county, January 10, 1852, his parents being Henry H. and Martha (Gingles) Parks, the former born near Columbus, Ohio, and of Scotch-Irish descent, while the mother was a native of Pennsylvania and a representative of Pennsylvania Dutch stock. Henry H. Parks removed from Ohio to Illinois in young manhood and was married in Rock Island county, after which he located on a farm and was identified with agricultural pursuits throughout the period of his active manhood. He passed away at the age of seventy-nine years.
James J. Parks was educated at Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois, where he won the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1872, while in 1876 his alma mater conferred upon him the Master of Arts degree. He took up the study of law at Rock Island upon the completion of his college course and was admitted to practice at the state bar of Illinois in September, 1874. He then followed his profession in Rock Island until 1886, when he went to Wichita, Kansas, where he became a well known attorney, there remaining until 1895. In the latter year he removed to St. Louis, where he opened an office, but failing health forced him a year later to give up the practice of law and he identified himself with the New York Life Insurance Company, which he represented in Dubuque, Iowa, for two and a half years. He then returned to St. Louis as State manager for the Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Company of Philadelphia, with which he was connected for three and a half years. He next entered into business relations with the Franklin Life Company of Illinois, having charge of the St. Louis office, in which responsible position he continued to serve for nine years. On the 6th of May, 1912, he came to the Missouri State Life Insurance Company as field secretary and in January, 1920, was elected secretary, in which position of responsibility he is now serving, taking active part in further directing and shaping the policy of the company and promoting its rapidly increasing business.
On the 30th of September, 1875, Mr. Parks was married to Miss Flora Con way, of Rock Island, Illinois, and to them were born two daughters: Cleland, now the wife of William M. Hunt, of Atlanta, Georgia; and Elizabeth, the wife of William R. Bright, living in St. Louis, Missouri.
James J. Parks is a member of the Masonic fraternity and also of the Knights of Pythias. He belongs to the First Presbyterian church, of which his wife who also a member, but she passed away on the 28th of July, 1919. He has always been active in religious work and for six years served as president of the State Sunday School Association. He is also a trustee of Westminster College at Fulton, Missouri, and is a trustee of the Presbyterian Orphanage of Farmington, Missouri. He likewise was for fourteen years superintendent of the Sunday school of the First Presbyterian church and for twenty years has been one of the church eiders. His interest in community affairs is shown in his connection with the St. Louis Chamber of Commerce and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day, recognizing the duties and obligations as well as the privileges of citizenship. His has been an active and useful life, characterized by high ideals and fraught with untiring effort for the benefit of his fellowmen. He has ever held to advanced standards and feels that he can render no better service than to aid the young in character development, recognizing the truth of the statement enunciated centuries ago: '•Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he Will not depart from it." He has ever commanded the respect and confidence of his fellowmen, and all who know him bear testimony to his sterling worth of character as well as to his business enterprise and progressiveness.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Lewis PerryLewis Perry, who is engaged in the real estate and investment business in St. Louis, his native city, was born December 17, 1855, his parents being John D. and Eliza Jane (Turner-Pulliam) Perry. The father was a representative of an old Virginia family and came to Missouri between 1830 and 1835. He devoted his time to general merchandising, conducting a store in Fayette and afterward in Glasgow, Howard county, Missouri. It was while there residing that he wedded Eliza Jane Turner-Pulliam, daughter of Talton Turner of that city. About 1854 he removed to St. Louis where he became connected with the banking house of Bartholow, Lewis and Company, a firm that was active in financial circles of this city until some time in the '80s. John D. Perry also became president of the Kansas Pacific Railroad Company, and his extensive and important business interests brought him prominently to the front in business circles. He passed away in 1895.
John D. Perry was married twice. His first wife being Julia Broaddus of Missouri, by whom he had two children: Charles W. and Mary E. Perry. After the death of his first wife Mr. Perry married Eliza Jane Turner-Pulliam, widow of Elijah Pulliam, who had two children, Sarah and Annie. Sarah Pulliam married Joseph A. Wherry and they had one child, Eliza P. Wherry. John D. and his wife Eliza (Pulliam) Perry had the following children: Jane, the wife of Hon. David R. Francis of St. Louis, who had six children, namely: J. D. P., David R., Jr., Charles B., Talten T., Thomas and Sidney R., Francis, Lewis, of this review; Richard E., who is with the firm of Carr Brothers, and who married Elizabeth Gibson, and they have become the parents of four children, namely: Laura, Charles G., John D. and Marion; Laura; and two children who died in infancy.
Lewis Perry attended the schools of St. Louis and then went abroad for study, attending schools in Dresden, Stuttgart and Wurzburg, Germany, between 1869 and 1873. Returning to the United States he entered Cornell University as a member of the class of 1877. Following his graduation he was in charge of Perry Park ranch, midway between Denver and Colorado Springs, on which his brother Charles W., was accidentally killed in 1877. Lewis Perry remained upon the ranch until 1879. He then became one of the organizers of the St. Louis White Enamel Company, succeeded by the Standard Stamping Company. He was vice president and treasurer of this company until 1895, at which time he disposed of his interest and since that time has not been active in the commercial world, devoting his attentions to the supervision of investments and real estate holdings.    He is thoroughly informed concerning the real estate market and has handled his property in such a way ' as greatly to enhance its value.
Mr. Perry gives his political support to the democratic party. He belongs to the St. Louis Club, to the Bellerive Country Club and has been identified with most of the leading club organizations of the city. He is of a very generous and charitable nature, always extending a helping hand to the younger generation of his family and to others. The success which he has achieved now permits of leisure to indulge his love of golf and he is a familiar figure on the links, largely finding his recreation in that way. H4 makes his home at the Buckingham Hotel and is widely known throughout St. Louis where he enjoys the high regard of many.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Dr. Christian Frederick PfingstenPfingsten, Dr. Christian Frederick
So thorough has been the investigation into the laws of health and so wide the research of the members of the medical profession that it is impossible for any individual to cover with thoroughness the entire scope of professional practice. Accordingly this has led to specialization along certain lines with the result that expert ability has been developed. Well known among the specialists of St. Louis is Dr. Christian Frederick Pfingsten, who is devoting his attention to the diseases of the ear, nose and throat and who is also well known in the educational field. He was born in St. Louis, May 11, 1875, and is a son of Christian F. and Anna Sophia (Lohmeyer) Pfingsten, both of whom were natives of Germany. The mother came to America when quite young, settling in St. Louis. The father crossed the Atlantic when a youth of eighteen years and he, too, took up his abode in St. Louis where for many years he engaged in the coal business. He passed away in 1897 at the age of eighty-six years and his widow survived him until 1918, her death occurring in St. Louis when she was eighty-three years of age. They were married in this city and became parents of two sons and five daughters, of whom Dr. Pfingsten is the fifth in order of birth.
After acquiring a public school education Dr. Pfingsten received his academic and preparatory training at Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin, and then entered the St Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons, from which he was graduated in 1898 with the M. D. degree. For six years he engaged in the general practice of medicine and then went to Europe to receive special instructions concerning diseases of the ear, nose and throat. He spent one year in Berlin and another year in Vienna, studying under some of the eminent authorities of the old world. Returning to the United States he then opened an office for practice as a specialist on the ear, nose and throat and has won prominence and success in this field. He is now instructor on diseases of the ear, nose and throat in the St. Louis University and is oto-latyngologist at St John's Hospital.
On the 30th of October, 1909, in St. Louis, Dr. Pfingsten was married to Miss Lillian Janvier Brown, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Swing Brown, the former a prominent wood-working machine manufacturer and representative of one of the old families. Dr. and Mrs. Pfingsten have become parents of three children: Marlon Grace, Ruth Janvier and Charles Frederick, who are with their parents at No. 2922 Dodier street in St. Louis. Dr. and Mrs. Pfingsten are members of the Union Methodist Episcopal church. He is also a Scottish Rite Mason and member of the Mystic Shrine and is a loyal follower of the teachings and purposes of the craft as well as of the church. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he turns for recreation to automobiling and golf. Along professional lines he has connection with the St Louis Medical Society, the Missouri State Medical Society, the American Medical Association and the American College of Surgeons. He is very conscientious in the performance of his professional duties and has made steady progress since entering upon medical practice. -Today he occupies an enviable position as an aurist and laryn-gologist, having developed a high degree of efficiency in this special field. During the period of the World war he was a member of the draft board of the Medical Corps, U. S. A., and also served as captain in the Medical Corps in the Second Regiment of the Home Guards.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Freeman D. Phillips, president of the Central Telephone & Electric Company of St. Louis, was born August 6, 1872, in Lawton, Michigan, a son of Solomon Phillips, who was also a native of Michigan and represented one of the pioneer families of that state of English descent. He became a successful merchant of Lawton, where he resided throughout his entire life, passing away in 1879 at the age of forty-five. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Rose Smith, was born in Michigan and was a representative of the Van Antwerp family, an old and prominent one of Michigan and of Dutch lineage. Mrs. Phillips passed away in 1886 at the-age of forty-seven years. By her marriage she had become the mother of two sons and three daughters.
Freeman D. Phillips, the fourth in order of birth, was educated in the public schools of Lawton and of Paw Paw, Michigan, and when eighteen years of age left home, going to Chicago where he was employed by the firm of R. Chester Frost & Company, wholesale jewelers. He remained in that business for four years and then entered the employ of the Electrical Appliance Company of Chicago, and while thus engaged entered upon the private study of electrical engineering. He remained with the Appliance Company until 1906, working in various departments and becoming very proficient. He then removed to St. Louis where he accepted the position of sales manager for the Wesco Supply Company, with which he remained until May, 1916. He then purchased an interest in the Central Telephone & Electric Company of which he was made vice president and sales manager and in 1918 was elected to the presidency of a company that today controls one of the leading business enterprises of the kind in St. Louis. He is well known in business circles, belonging to the St. Louis Electrical Board of Trade and is a member of its executive committee, also a member of the Sales Managers Bureau and is serving on the executive committee of the latter.
On the 27th of December, 1898, Mr. Phillips was married in Chicago, to Miss Margaret T. Ryan, a native of that city, and a daughter of Patrick T. and Mary L. (O'Rourke) Ryan. They have become parents of seven children: Gerald A., Charles F. Elgie Louise, Katherine, Freeman D., Rosemary and John.
Mr. Phillips is a member of the St. Louis Chamber of Commerce and is keenly interested in all those forces and agencies which make for the upbuilding of the city and the extension of its trade relations. Politically he is a republican and fraternally he is connected with Keystone Lodge, No. 243, A. F. & A. M. He also belongs to the Midland Valley Country Club and finds his recreation and diversion in outdoor sports, particularly enjoying hunting and fishing. All these, things, however, are made subservient to his business affairs, and through his individual efforts he has advanced step by step, perseverance, determination and laudable ambition constituting the rounds of the ladder on which he has climbed to prosperity.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Edwin S. PillsburyEdwin S. Pillsbury, president of the Century Electric Company of St Louis, was born in Riley county, Kansas, January 12, 1867, his parents being Leonard H. and Evelyn S. (Sanborn) Pillsbury, both of whom were representatives of old and well known New England families. The ancestry of the Pillsbury family can be traced back to about 1638, when representatives of the name came from England to the new world. The Sanborn family is also of English lineage, Evelyn Sanborn being a daughter of Captain Frederick Sanborn. Leonard H. Pillsbury. The father, was born in New Hampshire and was educated at the Phillips Exeter Academy at Exeter, that state, He later went to Kansas with the earliest settlers and passed through the usual experiences and hardships of frontier life for several years. Realizing that there was limitless opportunity in the legal profession he determined to study law and returned to Exeter where he began preparation for the bar. It was in 1862 that he wedded Evelyn S. Sanborn, the marriage being celebrated on Saturday evening and on Sunday morning, a week later, Mr. Pillsbury participated in the battle of South Mountain. He had recruited a company, of which he became captain, his command being mustered in as Company A of the Ninth New Hampshire Volunteers. He also participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Antietam and Vicksburg and after the latter campaign only nine men out of his original company of one hundred and twelve responded to the roll-call. After the close of the war Leonard H. Pillsbury returned to Riley county, Kansas, where he conducted a newspaper and was also engaged in surveying for several years. From there he removed to Memphis, Tennessee, where for about five years he was an officer in the United States court. He then returned to New Hampshire where he engaged in general merchandising at Derry in connection with his brother and has since been a resident of that place. An interesting fact of his long and honorable career is that thirty years ago he served in the state legislature and during the year 1920, at the ripe old age of eighty-five, his fellow citizens again called him to the same position and he is now a member of the general assembly of the old Granite state. His wife has passed away, survived by the following sons and daughter: Frederick S., Ambrose Burnside, Edwin S., William S. and Grace.
At the age of seven years Edwin S. Pillsbury was in Memphis, Tennessee, to which place his father had removed the family, there holding a position in the United States court. Soon afterward, however, Edwin S. Pillsbury went to New England where he attended the public schools and the Pinkerton Academy at Derry, New Hampshire, while later he became a student in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology at Boston. In 1894 Mr. Pillsbury came to St. Louis, having accepted a contract with the Emerson Electric Manufacturing Company to develop the single phase alterating current motor, which up to that time had not proven a success. It was Mr. Pillsbury work that resulted in the production of the successful repulsion start, induction operating, alternating current motor and in the manufacture of this type of motor today St Louis leads the world. After the expiration of his contract with the above firm Mr. Pillsbury was for some time connected with the Wagner Electric Company of this city.      
In 1902 he joined the H. E. Lindsey Electrical Supply Company, jobbers of electrical supplies, etc., and at once changed this company to a manufacturing concern. In 1904 the name of the Century Electric Company was adopted and Mr. Pillsbury took control of the business, of which he was later elected president. The company is today capitalized for one million seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Under his guidance the business has made rapid, substantial and satisfactory progress and today the Century motors are in use all over the world, shipments being made to China, Japan, Australia, South America and in fact to every part of the world. The output has now reached large proportions and the business is one o{ the large productive industries of St Louis. The plant, which is located at Pine and Nineteenth Streets, extends through to Olive street The company owns the property on both sides of Pine street from Eighteenth to Nineteenth, with the exception of the parcel .on the northeast corner, of Eighteenth street. The plant is modern in every respect and the company' has Just completed, at a cost of several hundred thousand dollars, a new seven-story building in the middle of the block on the south side of Pine street. This building is one hundred and eighty feet long and is the last word in factory construction. In these magnificent plants employment is given to over one thousand high grade mechanics and the most advanced standards are maintained in connection with the output.
On the 17th of June, 1907, in St. Louis, Mr. Pillsbury was married to Miss Harriet Brown, a native of Missouri, who was born at Ironton, and they have become the parents of three sons: Frederick S., Joyce and William. The religious faith of the family is Baptist and they are members of the Third Baptist church of St. Louis, in which Mr. Pillsbury is serving as a trustee. Mr. Pillsbury is president of the Missouri Baptist Sanitarium and is also a trustee of William Jewell College at Liberty, Missouri. In political views he is a republican. The family now occupies a fine country residence, Ridgeview, on the McKnight road, near' Clayton. His has been a most active, busy and useful life. His enterprise and industry have enabled him to overcome all difficulties and obstacles in his path and step by step he has advanced, at all times keeping in touch with the onward trend of the electrical business. Thoroughly informed concerning every phase of the work his progressive methods have taken on tangible form and not only has he profited individually from the conduct of the industrial plant which he has built up but has also contributed much to the prosperity and business growth of the city and state.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.