Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" R "

Carl G. Rathmann, assistant superintendent of the public schools of St. Louis through appointment of the board of education and previously long connected with the schools of the city as teacher and principal, was born May 27, 1853, in Flensburg, Germany, and is a son of H. N. and Johanna (Lippelt) Rathmann, the former a native of Tondern, Germany, while the latter was born in Brunswick, Germany. The father came to America in 1870, making his way direct to St. Louis where he resided until his death in 1880, when he was fifty-four years of age. He was a shoemaker by trade. His wife died in 1871 at the age of forty-five years. In the family were five sons and two daughters, of whom only two are living.
Carl G. Rathmann pursued his early education in the schools of Germany, attending the gymnasium, and after accompanying his parents to the new world in 1870 he continued his studies in the Missouri State University. Starting out in life independently he took up the profession of teaching which he followed in his home city. He came direct to St. Louis in 1871 and later removed to St. Charles county where he remained for a year. The succeeding year was spent at the State University in completing his studies, after which he returned to St. Charles county where he again engaged in teaching for three years. He later returned to St. Louis where he taught German in the public schools for four years and later was made assistant director of the Toensfeldt Institute, in which position he continued for a decade. On the expiration of that period he opened a boarding and residence school for boys in 'Kansas City which he conducted for six years, or until 1898, when he returned to St. Louis and became principal of the Gratiot school, with which he was connected for a short time. He was then promoted to the Jackson school and later was principal of the Fremont and the Garfield school. In 1903 he was advanced to the position of assistant superintendent which office he has since filled, his educational work thus continuing over a period of forty-nine years.
Professor Rathmann was married in St. Louis, August 18, 1879, to Miss Anna Crecelius, a native of Mehlville, Missouri, and a daughter of Philip and Anna (Crecelius) Crecelius, who were representatives of one of the oldest and best known families of St Louis county, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Rathmann have one son, Walter Lincoln.
Politically Mr. Rathmann is a republican and keeps well informed on the vital questions and issues of the day. He has done much important public work and is now chairman of the board of Children's Guardians, having charge of delinquent, dependent and neglected children in the city. He was appointed to this position in 1912 and for the past four years has been chairman of the board. His fraternal relations are with the Royal Arcanum and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He also belongs to the City Club and to the Liederkranz of St. Louis and he is a member of the National Education Association, the Missouri State Teachers* Association, the St. Louis Society of Pedagogy, and the St. Louis Schoolmasters' Club, manifesting the keenest interest in all those forces which relate to the development and improvement of the public school system of the country.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Rev. Harold Locke Reader, pastor of the Webster Groves Baptist church was born at Marblehead, Massachusetts, May 6, 1885, a son of John J. and S. Emma Reader. On his mother's side he is descended from the family of the English philosopher, John Locke. He was reared in Illinois, beginning his primary education at Carrollton, Greene county, while in June, 1903, he was graduated from the high school in East St Louis. Following his graduation he attended the Washington University in St Louis, becoming at that institution a member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity. Later he entered Shurtleff College at Alton, Illinois, where he was twice president of his literary society, the Sigma Phi. H£ was ordained to the gospel ministry while pastor of the Winstanley Baptist church in East St Louis at the age of twenty-two years. In April, 1910, he was called to the pastorate of the West Park Baptist church in St Louis., His interest in young men led to the erection by that church of a gymnasium building around which the activities of the young men could center.
Harold Locke Reader was married in 1911 to Jennie L. Hall and soon afterwards the state of his wife's health necessitated a change of residence to Denver, Colorado. In 1913 he returned from the west and in August of that year was called to the newly organized Baptist church in Webster Groves. This church is unique in that from a membership of thirty-two meeting \n a rented hall, it has grown in the seven years to a membership of three hundred owning its own beautiful property all acquired without the aid of one penny from the mission boards. The record is unique in Baptist history in St Louis.
Mr. Reader is an ex-president of the St Louis Baptist Ministers Conference. He is very active in Masonic circles, being at the present time district deputy grand master of the fifty-seventh district and past master of Wellston Lodge, No. 613, A. F. ft A. M. He is also a Royal Arch Mason, a member of the council, a Knight Templar and has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite.
Mr. Reader was one of the first clergymen to offer his services in the late war and in July, 1917, was appointed chaplain of the Fifth Missouri Infantry, the famous St. Louis regiment to which Marshall Joffre personally presented a regimental flag. Later at Camp Doniphan when this regiment was consolidated with the First Missouri Infantry to form the One Hundred and Thirty-eight Infantry he was transferred to the One Hundred and Tenth Engineers of the Thirty-fifth Division, with which regiment he served throughout the war, being on four battle fronts in France—near Amiens, the Vosges, St. Mihiel and the Argonne. He was granted an indefinite leave of absence by his church when he entered military service and in May, 1919, resumed his pastorate. In November, 1919, he was elected the first Post Commander of Webster Groves Memorial Post, No. 172, of the American Legion, which office he still holds. This in brief is the outline of his career. Those who read between the lines will see the earnestness of purpose that has always actuated him, high^ideals which lie has kept constantly before him, and the practical methods which he has followed in securing their adoption. There is about Mr. Reader nothing of that aloofness which too often marks the scholarly man of the ministry. Intensely human in all of his interests to the point of understanding human nature he is constantly seeking to inspire and encourage those whom he meets to choose those things which are most enduring and satisfying and which make for the upbuilding of the highest character.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Wallace Renard, president of the Renard Linoleum St Rug Company, which conducts a large wholesale floor covering business, was born in St. Louis, November 6, 1885 and is a son of Louis Renard.
He spent his youthful days under his parental roof, and his education was in the public schools, from which he graduated at the age of about fourteen, and then joined his father in work for the firm of Trorlicht, Duncker & Renard Carpet Company, up to 1907, following the lines in the floor covering business entirely.
Shortly after leaving the above firm, he started the firm of the Renard Linoleum ft Rug Company and has since been active in formulating the policies and promoting the growth of this business, which has now been built up as a very strong organisation, and a corps of efficient office and sales people now surround same, making it very successful.
In St. Louis, on June 5th, 1910, Mr. Renard was married to Miss Lucille Kohn, a native of this city and daughter of William and Sophie Kohn, both representatives of old families in St. Louis. There are now three children in the family: Louis, Elisabeth and Nina A.
Politically he is a republican, and fraternally a Mason, belonging to Corner Stone Lodge, also Scottish Rites and Moolah Temple, and also belonging to the Knights of Pythias fraternity. His membership relations also extend to various leading clubs, including the Missouri Athletic Association, City Club, Columbian Club, Westwood Country Club and Sunset Hill, and he greatly enjoys the social features of these organisations when leisure permits.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Amedee V. Reyburn, safe deposit manager with the Mercantile Trust Company of St Louis, is a representative of two old and well known families of this city. He was here born February 3, 1857, his parents being Thomas and Juliette (Valle) Reyburn. The father, a practicing physician, was a son of Thomas G. Reyburn who came to St. Louis from Baltimore in 1844 and who had previously served as a soldier in the War of 1812. The mother, Juliette Valle, was born in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, a daughter of Francis B. Valle and a granddaughter of Francois Valle who came from Canada and was one of the five original settlers of Ste. Genevieve.
Amedee V. Reyburn completed his education in St. Louis University which conferred upon him the degrees of Bachelor and Master of Arts. He initiated his business experience as an employe of the Harrison Wire Company of St. Louis. He afterward entered the employ of the Mercantile Trust Company of St. Louis at the time of its incorporation in 1S99 and has since been connected therewith, covering a period of twenty-one years, having thus attained his majority in the service of the company which he is now representing as safe deposit manager.
Mr. Reyburn was married in St. Louis, May 23, 1878, to Henrietta L. Patterson, a daughter of Henry L. Patterson of this city. His wife died in less than a year and Mr. Reyburn afterward married Charlotte Mercer, daughter of Dr. William M. Mercer of Pittsfield, Massachusetts. Their children are Amedee V., Jr., who passed away February 10, 1920; Charlotte M., Juliette K., Henrietta H. and Mary G., all yet at home.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Roman Catholic church. Mr. Reyburn is a member of the Holy Name Society and also of St. Vincent de Paul Society. In politics he is a democrat where national issues are involved but at local elections casts a non-partisan ballot. He belongs to the Knights of Columbus and was first territorial deputy west of the Mississippi river. He served as district deputy of district No. 1 for two years and was one of the charter members of St Louis Council, which was the first council west of the Mississippi. His attention and activities have largely been concentrated upon the work of the church and upon his business and he has never sought to figure prominently in political or club circles. He is widely known among the representatives of the old and prominent families of St. Louis and has himself been a resident of the city for more than sixty-three years.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Howard J. Rhodus is president of the Continental Bank Supply company, manufacturers of bank supplies, having the only exclusive house of this character in Missouri. They have their headquarters in St. Louis but maintain branch houses at other points with a business that extends to all parts of the United States, Canada, Mexico and Alaska. A spirit of undaunted enterprise and progressiveness characterizes Mr. Rhodus in the conduct of this business and St. Louis is proud to number him among her native sons, for he was born in this city January 22, 1893. His father, Birch F. Rhodus, was also a native of Missouri, as was the grandfather, Thomas Rhodus. He was a son of Thomas Rhodus, Sr., a native of Ohio, who became one of the pioneer settlers of Missouri where he took up his abode in 1807, establishing his home in what was then the little village of St. Louis, conducting a furniture store on Main and Pine streets about 1820. Thomas Rhodus, Jr., the grandfather, was engaged in the furniture and tobacco business on Main and Chestnut streets, and Birch F. Rhodus was also active in mercantile lines for a number of years but is now living retired. The grandfather also became president of the Merchants Exchange of St. Louis and was very active in civic and public affairs, as well as in the business life of the city. He was also a prominent worker in St. Johns Methodist Episcopal church in which he served as one of the deacons. In fact the family has borne a most important part in promoting the material, intellectual, social and moral development of St. Louis through four generations. Birch F. Rhodus was united in marriage to Miss Esther Ola Jones, a native of California and of Scotch descent, her people being among the pioneers of the Golden state coming originally from Tennessee. Mr. and Mrs. Birch Rhodus have become the parents of two daughters.
Their only son, Howard J. Rhodus, was educated in the public schools of Chicago, passing through consecutive grades to the high school and after completing his education there started out to earn his own livelihood when a youth of sixteen years. He entered the employ of the United States Envelope company of Worchester, Massachusetts, in the branch of their business which had been established in St. Louis. He continued with this firm tor a number of years and was afterward with the J. L. Hammett company. Later he organized the Continental Bank Supply company and has been the president since its incorporation in 1919. The business was established In 1914 and Mr. Rhodus has continuously been a most important factor in the development and extension of the trade which now covers very wide territory embracing the entire North American continent. The business methods of the house have always been such as would bear the closest investigation and scrutiny, and undaunted enterprise and progressive methods have characterized the conduct of the undertaking, making it one of the foremost business concerns of St. Louis.
In his political view Mr. Rhodus maintains an independent course. He is much interested in civic affairs, has taken an active part in promoting woman's suffrage, and was chairman of the speaker's committee and a member of the executive committee in connection with the bond drives during the war. He has been a most active and earnest worker in behalf of the Young Men's Christian Association and his cooperation and aid can always be counted upon to further any plan or measurd for the general good. He belongs to Trinity Lodge, No. 241. A. F. & A. M., and also has membership with the St. Louis Club, the Advertising Club, the St. Louis Salesmanship Association of which he is a director, and the Chamber of Commerce. The guiding spirit of his life is found in the teachings of the church, his membership being in St. John's Methodist Episcopal church, South, and in various departments of its work he has taken a most helpful interest, being now assistant superintendent of the boy's work. His life record should serve as a source of inspiration and encouragement to others, showing that the building of a fortune and building of character are not at variance, but that success and an honored name may be won simultaneously. He started out in the business world with little capital and made steady progress, winning an enviable position in the attainment of prosperity and the regard of his fellowmen. He finds his chief diversion in hunting and has gone to the wilds of many parts of the United States and has also hunted large game in Alaska. He is a representative of one of the oldest and most honored St. Louis families and his entire course is in harmony with the ancestral record which has made the name of Rhodus a synonym for esteem and respect throughout St. Louis.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


While long connected with railroad interests, Nathaniel M. Rice is now the vice president of the Pierce Oil Corporation of St. Louis and in that connection is promoting a rapidly developing business. He was born in Rome City, Indiana, December 28, 1863, and is a son of the Rev. Harvey D. and Violetta (Montgomery) Rice, the former a clergyman of the Methodist church. He was born in the state of New York and was a representative of one of the old families there of Welsh descent. The great-great-grandfather of Nathaniel M. Rice was the founder of the American branch of the family. The grandfather was also a clergyman and upon the work of the church Harvey D. Rice entered actively as a minister of the Methodist denomination. He resided in Missouri from 1875 until 1903, living at various points in the state as he accepted different pastorates. He was a soldier of the One Hundredth Indiana Regiment of the Union army during the Civil war, going to the front as a private. He died in 1914 at the age of seventy-six years, and his wife, a native of Ohio, passed away in Trenton, Missouri, in 1895 at, the age of fifty-four years. Their family numbered two sons and a daughter and one of the sons, Orin D., is now deceased. The daughter is Mrs. James Bagley, a resident of Trenton, Missouri.
The surviving son of the family, Nathaniel M. Rice, was educated in the public schools of his native city and when a youth of fourteen years started out to earn his own living. He was first employed on a farm, working in that way in Livingston and Carroll counties of Missouri. After devoting three years to the work of the fields he took up railroading in the employ of the Santa Fe Railroad and was a brakeman until 1886. He afterward became a yard clerk and assistant yard foreman at Temple, Texas, where he continued for two years. He was then transferred to the stores department at Temple, Texas, where he occupied a clerical position for seven months, and subsequently he was made storekeeper for the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad, acting in the latter capacity until 1900.    In that year he was promoted, on account of work done in connection with the Galveston flood, to the Chicago office as special representative of the operating department of the vice president and spent a year there in the store department work. In 1900 he was made general storekeeper, in charge of the coast line of the Santa Fe System, and when two years had passed was made general storekeeper of the entire Santa Fe System, holding this responsible position for a period of ten years, or until 1913, when he was made chief purchasing officer of the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad. In 1916 he was elected third vice president of the road and in 1917 was made second vice president of the Frisco System, which office he filled until the roads were taken over by the government. He then became assistant to the federal manager of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad, and so continued until the close of the war, with headquarters at New Haven. He next accepted the vice presidency of the Pierce Oil Corporation of St. Louis on the lst of January, 1919, and is now filling this position. His entire career has been marked by a steady 'progression that has resulted in the attainment of a position of prominency in the business circles of St. Louis, and he is now occupying an important executive position, bending his attention to constructive effort and administrative direction.
On the 8th of October, 1889, Mr. Rice was married at Temple, Texas, to Miss Mary S. Watson, a daughter of the late Judge George B. Watson, a prominent jurist, planter and at one time a slave-holder of Arkansas. His mother bore the maiden name of Harriet Caulk. To Mr. and Mrs. Rice have been born four children, of whom two are living, Anna Burr and Nathaniel M., Jr. The family residence is at No. 5544 Cabanne avenue.
Mr. Rice has always given his political allegiance to the democratic party. Fraternally he is a Mason who has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite in the consistory and he also belongs to George Washington Lodge, No. 19, B. P. O. E. There is much of inspirational value in the life record of Mr. Rice. Starting out as a farm boy when in his teens, he has progressed steadily step by step and each forward step has brought him a broader outlook and wider opportunities. In the course of years he became a forceful factor in railway circles and is now actively connected with the development of oil interests as the vice president of the Pierce Oil Corporation.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


George Treadway RiddleGeorge Treadway Riddle, president of the Franklin Bank of St. Louis, his native' city, was born February 22, 1847, his parents being Colonel Alexander and Mary E. (Treadway) Riddle. The father was a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1802. The paternal grandfather, who was the founder of the American branch of the family, came to the new world from Scotland and crossed the mountains into western Pennsylvania, settling on a farm Aar Pittsburgh, where he resided until his death. His tombstone in the nearby cemetery spells his name "Riddell." It was in the latter part of the '30s that Colonel Alexander Riddle made his way westward to Missouri and in early life engaged in the lumber business at the corner of Biddle & Broadway in St. Louis, at which time he changed the spelling of the name to Riddle. He was commissioned a lieutenant colonel of the St. Louis Legion, Ninety-fifth Regiment, First Brigade, Second Division, Missouri Militia, and he was a well known figure in this city in the middle portion of the nineteenth century, here passing away in 1867. His wife, a native of Middle town, Connecticut, was a representative of one of the old families of that state of English lineage. She became the mother of two sons, Truman P. and George T. Riddle. She passed away in St. Louis in 1850.
George T. Riddle was educated in the public schools of St. Louis, passing through consecutive grades to the high school at Fifteenth and Olive. During the latter part of the Civil war he served as a clerk in the office of the provost marshal and afterward became connected with the lumber trade in 1866 as -a clerk In the employ of James and William Patrick. On the 8th of February, 1870, he became secretary of the Mississippi Planing Mill and continued with that enterprise until 1878, when the company was succeeded by the Riddle-Rehbein Manufacturing Company, of which Mr. Riddle, is now principal owner. He has thus long been associated with the lumber trade and has won substantial success in this connection. On the 15th of March, 1911, following the death of G. W. Garrels, president of the Franklin*Bank, Mr. Riddle was elected to the presidency and remains as the head of that institution. In all business affairs he has displayed unremitting energy and ability and his progress in the business world is the direct outcome of his ability.
During the war Mr. Riddle was a member of the executive committee of the Red Cross of St. Louis. He belongs to the St. Louis Club, to the Missouri Athletic Association and to the First Presbyterian church—associations that indicate much of the nature of his interests, his recreation and the rules that govern his conduct. His political endorsement is given to the republican party.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


William J. Romer, a merchant tailor of St. Louis conducting business as a partner in the firm of Kohler ft Romer in the Carleton building, was born in Lima, Ohio, November 8, 1868. His father, Joseph Romer, was born in Alsace Lorraine and came to America in 1848. He engaged in the hotel business in Ohio and during the progress of the Civil war, saw active service with the Union army. He married Wilhelmina Laba, who was born in Colmar, Alsace Lorraine, and they became the parents of ten children of whom William J. is the youngest. Three daughters of the family are living: Anna, who married Henry Fruch, and resides in Lima, Ohio; Bertha, who became the wife of Charley Losee, also of Lima; and Emma, the wife of John L. O'Connor, likewise a resident of Lima.
William J. Romer obtained his early education in the public schools of Lima, Ohio, and afterward attended St. Xavier College in Cincinnati, Ohio, for three years and studied the tailoring business at night. In 1889 he went to Omaha, Nebraska, where he studied, medicine with Dr. Lee and Dr. Rebert for about a year, but in 1891 he withdrew from active connection with the medical profession and through the succeeding years followed the profession of tailoring. In 1894 he came to St. Louis where he managed the Humphrys Clothing Company's business. In 1901 he formed a partnership with Mr. Kohler, organizing the firm of Kohler ft Romer for the conduct of a merchant tailoring business. Their success has steadily grown and developed through the intervening years and their trade is now extensive and important. They confine their activities to the making of high grade clothing and maintain an attractive and well appointed shop in the Carleton building. Their establishment is well known for the high standards maintained and they draw their patronage from among the best people of St. Louis and also from Maine to California.
In Lima, Ohio, in October, 1897, Mr. Romer was married to Miss Winnifred Sullivan, a daughter of Thomas Sullivan, who resides in Ohio, where he was engaged in railroad service as traffic manager for the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad. To Mr. and Mrs. Romer have been born two children: Rosamond, the wife of Herbert H. Hope who is engaged in the real estate business in Philadelphia; and William S., who was graduated from the Philadelphia Technical College in 1920.
Mr. Romer received a medal from the treasury department of the United States government in recognition of his work done in behalf of the Liberty loan during the World war. His religious faith is that of the Catholic church and politically he maintains an independent course. He belongs to the Chamber of Commerce and is interested in all that pertains to the city's progress and upbuilding. He is also connected with the Civic League and with the City Club and belongs to the Triple A Athletic Association. In his business he has made steady progress for he started out in life empty handed and has gained a substantial measure of success, while at the same time a social disposition and genuine personal worth have gained for him the warm regard and friendship of many with whom he has been brought into contact.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


MAJOR-GENERAL WILLIAM S. ROSECRANS was born in Delaware county, Ohio, in December, 1819, was admitted into West Point at the age of nineteen, and graduated with high honors in 1842. In 1843, he was Assistant Professor of Engineering at West Point, and in 1847, was on duty at Newport. In 1853, he completed the survey of the harbors of New Bedford, Providence, and the Taunton river. In 1854, he was on duty at the Washington Navy Yard. Resigning from the army in 1854, he spent some years in Cincinnati as civil engineer and architect, and was then appointed Chief Engineer of the State of Ohio. He was made colonel of the Twenty-third Ohio volunteers on the outbreak of the war, and brigadier-general in the regular army in June, 1861. He gained great honor at the battle of Rich Mountain, July 12th, and in that of Carnifex Ferry, September 10th. In March, 1862, he was made major-general of volunteers, and was placed in command of the Third division of the Army of the Mississippi. He gained the battle of Iuka, in Mississippi, September 19th, and that of Corinth, on the 8d and 4th of October, 1862. Succeeding General Buell in command of the Army of the Cumberland, he fought the battle of Murfreesboro. He restored order in the city of Nashville, and from thence marched to Chattanooga. Rosecrans had marched across the Cumberland mountains, by means of a flank movement, and captured the latter place. The battle of Chickamauga was disastrous to the Union arms, and was only retrieved by the firmness of the left wing, under General Thomas. General Rosecrans, some time after, became commander of the Military Department of Missouri, with his headquarters at St. Louis.
(Source: A Complete History of the Great Rebellion of the Civil War in the U.S. 1861-1865 with Biographical sketches of the Principal actors in the Great Drama. By Dr. James Moore, Published 1875)


Fountain Rothwell, United States collector of customs in St Louis, was born in Callaway county, Missouri, February 1, 1868, and is a son of Alexander McKee Rothweli. He comes of a family of early pioneers who removed from Virginia to Kentucky and thence to Missouri and who aided in building the bridges, the schools, the homes and the churches which transformed the wilderness into the beautiful state of today.
Fountain Rothweli was educated in the country schools of Callaway county and in the high school of Ashland, Missouri, to which place the family removed in October, 1881. When sixteen years of age he started out to provide for his own support and was first employed by G. A. Gans, owner of a sawmill at Ashland, his initial salary being ten dollars per month. He there remained for two months and then entered the service of Jack C. Conely who conducted a large ranch and sawmill and with whom he remained for a period of ten years, a fact indicative of his faithfulness and capability. During the last four years of that period he was foreman of the business. He began working at seventy-five cents per day and from a minor position worked his way steadily upward to the foremanship. In 1893 he was married and at that time began farming and stock raising on his own account, thus being identified with agricultural interests until 1896 when practically in a spirit of fun he permitted his name to be entered for the election of constable of Cedar township and to his surprise he was elected by a handsome majority. He served for two years and was then re-elected for a second term. Soon afterward, however, he resigned to accept the position of deputy sheriff at Columbia, Missouri, and removed to that city, taking up the duties of the office on the 1st of January, 1900, and so serving for two years under W. R. Baldwin. The latter was defeated for re-election and as the result Mr. Rothweli was left out of office. During the next four years he served as assistant chief of police and on the expiration of Mayor Parker's term F. W. Niedemeyer, a republican, was elected, he being the first and last republican to fill the office. Mr. Rothweli was requested to continue in his position, which he did through the succeeding two years. He was then induced to become a candidate for sheriff and was elected by a large majority, taking the office January 1, 1905, and acceptably serving for a four years* term. On his retirement from the position of sheriff he engaged in the livery business which he followed successfully for a period of five years and was then appointed to his present office, that of collector of United States customs at St. Louis, on the 1st of August, 1914. After four years he was reappointed on the 1st of November, 1918, and is now serving for the second term. Since 1896 he has been very active in local, state and national politics as a supporter of the democratic party, being one of the influential representatives thereof in the state of Missouri. He has always been a man of positive convictions, thoroughly loyal to his friends, and of him it can be said he never placated an enemy nor went back on a friend. He is held in the highest esteem wherever known by reason of his good Judgment, his ability to judge character and his loyalty to those with whom he is associated and one of his marked characteristics is his charity in dealing with the faults of others. He is of a social and kindly nature, seeing the good in others and at all times seeking to bring out the best in those with whom he comes in contact.
On the 29th of November, 1898, Mr. Rothwell was married to Miss Anna Harrington, of Ashland, Missouri, a native of Boone county and a daughter of the late Allen G. Harrington and his wife, both representatives of old Boone county families. To Mr. and Mrs. Rothwell have been born three children:, Mary McKee, Jack and Allen Harrington, the last named, however, being always called Harry by his family and friends. Jack Rothwell was a member of the Thirty-fifth Division of the One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Field Artillery. He volunteered at the age of eighteen years, joining the army as a private and coming out as sergeant with his division he was in the battle of Chateau Thierry and in the Argonne offensive, thus participating in some of the hottest fighting in which the American troops engaged.
Fraternally Mr. Rothwell is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Knights of the Maccabees and is quite prominent in these organizations. Throughout his entire life he has held friendship inviolable and his career has proven the truth of the Emersonian philosophy that the way to win a friend is to be one.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Hampton RothwellHampton Rothwell, who is engaged in the general practice of law in both the state and federal courts at St. Louis, was born in Callaway county, Missouri, January 20, 1877, his parents being Alexander and Sallie (PriceJ Rothwell, the latter a daughter of Captain Joe Price, of Callaway county. The father was a Kentuckian who came to Missouri about 1865 and continued a resident of this state until his death in 1912. His widow is still living. In their family were three sons: Fount, who is collector of United States customs in St. Louis; Hampton, of this review, known to all of his friends as Hamp; and Allen, who resides in Columbia, Missouri, and is conducting business under the name of the Columbia Printing Company.
Hampton Rothwell pursued his early education in the public schools of Ash-land, Missouri, and was graduated in 1902 from the State University of Columbia with the LL. B. degree., He devoted five years to the profession of teaching in the southern part of the county. He afterward pursued post graduate work in the State University and has since given his attention to law practice. He followed the profession for four years at Moberly, Missouri, and in 1915 came to St. Louis where he has since conducted a general practice in the state and federal courts. He is recognised as an able attorney and his devotion to his clients9 interests is proverbial. He belongs to the St. Louis Bar Association, the Randolph and Boone County Bar Association, the Missouri State and the American Bar Associations. While residing at Columbia, he served as city attorney for eight years making an excellent record in that office.
In August, 1917, Mr. Rothwell was appointed oil inspector for the city of St. Louis by Gov. Gardner. The commission is for a period of four years. Mr. Rothwell is a director of and St. Louis attorney for the American Mutual Indemnity Association of Missouri, and the American General Indemnity Corporation of Missouri, both companies being incorporated under the laws of Missouri, and doing a general automobile and plate glass insurance business. Mr. Rothwell is also president of the Security Stucco Company, of St. Louis, a Missouri corporation.
Mr. Rothwell has two sons, Frank and Fount. He left behind him many friends when he removed from his old home, but he has made many new ones in St. Louis, where he has since gained a creditable social as well as professional position. Fraternally he is connected with the Odd Fellows and with the Elks and his political belief is that of the democratic party, while his religious faith is that of the Baptist church. He has been particularly active in politics throughout his entire life and is well known to many of the leading statesmen of Missouri. He was chairman of the city democratic committee of Columbia, and secretary of the Boone county central committee for a number of years. He has always done everything in his power to promote the growth and insure the success of his party because of his firm belief in its principles, and his position upon any vital question, political or otherwise, is never an equivocal one.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


John F. Rucker, special deputy collector of customs for district No. 45, comprising the ports of St. Louis, Kansas City and St. Joseph, Missouri, makes his home in St. Louis and is numbered among the native sons of the state, his birth having occurred in Randolph county, January 15, 1860. He is a son of the late Franklin Head Rucker, a native of Orange county, Virginia, and of French descent. The founder of the family in America came to the new world in the latter part of the seventeenth century, being one of the French Huguenots whom religious persecution drove out of their native land. Franklin H. Rucker was reared and educated in Missouri, attending the State University. He was a son of Minor Rucker, who came to this state in the early '20s and settled in Randolph county, where he entered large tracts of land near Huntsville, and engaged extensively in farming and stock raising to the time of his death. His son, Franklin H. Rucker, also took up the occupation of farming and stock raising. At the time of the Civil war he joined the Confederate army and served under General Price, who was his uncle, Mrs. Price having been a sister of his mother. The death of Franklin H. Rucker occurred in 1866. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Amanda Thomson, was a daughter of Asa Quarles Thomson, of Howard county, Missouri, who was among the pioneers of Missouri, having come originally from Virginia and later from Kentucky to this state. His daughter, Mrs. Rucker, was the mother of four children, John F., of this review, and three daughters. Two of the daughters died in infancy and the third in early womanhood.
John F. Rucker is therefore the only surviving member of the family. He acquired his early education in the public schools of his native county and qualified for the bar as a student in Washington University at St. Louis, from which he was graduated with the LL. B. degree in 1898. Prior to his graduation he was city clerk at Moberly, Missouri, and also engaged in mercantile lines in Moberly after completing his college course. In 1894 he entered the customs service at St. Louis, being made a special deputy in August, 1914. He had previously served as city clerk of Moberly for ten years and his long connection with the office plainly indicated his capability and fidelity. He has been equally loyal in connection with the customs service, with which he has now been identified for twenty-seven years. His political endorsement is given to the democratic party.
In 1882 Mr. Rucker was married in Moberly, Missouri, to Miss Minnie Coates, a native of Randolph county, Missouri, and a daughter of Judge J. Tunstall and Amanda (Smith) Coates, the latter a daughter of Joel Smith, one of the early pioneers of Randolph county. Two sons have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Rucker: J. Frank, a resident of Randolph county, where he is engaged in stock raising and farming; and Tunstall Coates, who is giving his attention to the raising of high grade Jersey cattle and other stock, having a valuable stock farm in Randolph county.
Mr. Rucker is connected with the Christian Science church and is regarded as a citizen who displays unqualified devotion to the public good and who in the discharge of his duties has ever manifested the utmost loyalty to the interests which he represents.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Col. Horace S. RumseyColonel Horace S. Rumsey, in charge of the business of the Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company, at St. Louis, since October, 1919, was born March 30, 1877, in the city which is still his home. He is a son of L. M. Rumsey, and a grandson of Mose Rumsey who had charge of the government arsenal at Black Rock, 1812, near Buffalo, New York. His son, Lewis Miller Rumsey, Sr., was the head of the L. M. Rumsey Manufacturing Company, of St. Louis and remained an active factor in business until his sudden death which occurred while he was on a summer vacation in Winona, Minnesota, in 1900, when he was sixty-seven years of age, his remains being brought back to St. Louis for interment. He was a very public-spirited citizen, interested in many projects for public development and progress. He was one of the builders of the old citizen street railway, and was otherwise connected with public affairs of importance. His widow, who is now living at 4346 Westminster Place in St. Louis, was born in this city, a daughter of Samuel and Eliza (Burbridge) Gaty. To Mr. and Mrs. L. M. Rumsey were born eight children, five of whom are still living: Horace S.; Lewis M.; Evadney, the wife of Stanley Stoner; Marion E., the wife of Nat Ewing; and Julia, the wife of Robert Holland.
Horace S. Rumsey attained a public school education and then entered Smith Academy, while later he was a student in the Manual Training School and in Washington University. In his studies he specialized in hydraulics and mechanics, and in 1895 entered the employ of the L. M. Rumsey Manufacturing Company of St. Louis; of which his father was the founder and promoter. The son started at the bottom, his first Job being that of core maker, and later he worked as a moulder and afterward in the machine shop. Eventually he went on the road as a traveling salesman and later became cashier, while his next official position was that of vice president and general manager. In 1917 the business was sold and Colonel Rumsey prepared for active military duty.
On the 19th of November, 1902, Colonel-Rumsey was married in St. Louis to Miss Louise Garrison Chappell, a daughter of Winthrop G., and Carrie (Garrison) Chappell. They have become parents of a daughter, Louise, who is with them In an attractive home at No. 5290 Waterman avenue.
In religious faith Colonel and Mrs. Rumsey^ are connected with the Episcopal church. His political allegiance is given too the democratic party and he is identified with several of the leading clubs of the city, including the St. Louis, Racquet, River-view, Sunset and Noonday Clubs. He won his title by being commissioned colonel and aid-de-camp on the staff of Governor Elliot W. Major, serving in that capacity from January, 1913, until 1917. He was also excise commissioner of St. Louis from 1915 until 1917. His active military record dated from his enlistment on the 12th of December,  1895,. when he became a private of Company C of the First Infantry Regiment of the Missouri National Guard. On the 18th of February. 1897, he was made a corporal and on the 19th of August of the same year was promoted to sergeant. On the 4th of May, 1898, he became a commissioned officer with the rank of second lieutenant in Company L of the First Regiment Volunteer Infantry, and 'was sent to Jefferson Barracks in preparation for the Spanish-American war. The Regiment was mustered into the Federal service on the 13th of May, 1898. Mr. Rumsey went out with his regiment and returned with them, being mustered out on the 31st of October, 1898. Following their return he was commissioned a first lieutenant of Company H and later was commissioned captain of Company A of the First Infantry Regiment of the Missouri National Guard, thus serving until April 1, 1903, when he resigned. When the country again needed the aid of all of her loyal sons, he reentered the service on the 14th of July, 1917, as first lieutenant of Battery A, First Regiment Field Artillery. On the 26th of July he was promoted to the rank of captain and adjutant of the First Regiment of Field Artillery. On the 3d of August, 1917, he was made regimental adjutant and retained the rank of captain. He was mustered into the Federal service August 15, 1917, and aided in the organizing of the First Regiment of Field Artillery, which, on being mustered into the Federal service became the One Hundred and Twenty-Eighth Field Artillery, U. S. A. On the 27th of February, 1918, he was promoted to the rank of major and with his regiment was ordered overseas. He was in action at Vosges, St. Mihiel, and the Argonne offensive, the One Hundred and Twenty-Eighth being assigned to the Thirty-Fifth Division. Major Rumsey was wounded October 2, 1918, at Charpenty, France, and was cited tor bravery on the 17th of October, 1918. He was back to duty with the One Hundred and Thirtieth Field Artillery on the 2d of January, 1919, and later returned to the United States with that command. On orders from the treasury department in Washington he was sent to St. Louis to take up work on the Liberty Loan and was a speaker in connection with the promotion of th6 Loan. Later he was appointed state representative in charge of the demobilization here and he was mustered out of military service on the 28th of April, 1919. He is now commander of the State Artillery of the National Guard. He served on the executive committee of the Salvation Army drive, was active in promoting various other war service measures, and served on a number of important committees.
In his school and college days Colonel Rumsey was very active in all athletic sports including track team events and football. In 1894 he won a twenty-five mile bicycle road race in Forest Park in St. Louis, and in 1894 and 1896 he was the amateur champion—one hundred fifteen to one hundred twenty-five pounds—in wrestling and boxing. He has always been the typical American young man, alert, energetic, ready for play or for work, ready for service or for duty. He measures up to the highest standards of manhood and citizenship, and is one of the most popular residents among the young men in military and in business circles in his native city.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Henri Rush, member of the firm of Lee & Rush, architects of St. Louis, was born in Cape Colony, South Africa, June 24, 1874. He was educated in the Polytechnic Institute at Johannesburg, South Africa, being there graduated with the class of 1890. He entered upon professional work in that city as an architect and structural engineer and was thus engaged until 1896. Later he entered the military service as an engineer officer in the Transvaal State Artillery, being connected with the technology branch having charge of searchlights, bridges and roads on the Ladysmith's battle front. On account of illness he was left by his company in the Drakensberg Mountains, where he was picked up by British soldiers and taken to Pretoria, where he remained in the military hospital until convalescent. He was then paroled and later was permitted to depart for England, after giving his word that he would not take part again in the war. He then went to Amsterdam and also traveled through continental Europe and England. Later he returned to Amsterdam, where he obtained his passport papers preparatory to coming to America.
On reaching the United States in 1901 Mr. Rush first settled in Cleveland, Ohio, and was there employed by the Garrett & Cromwell Engineering Company for two years. He afterward returned to England on a visit and on account of not being able to get passports for South Africa he went to Hamburg, Germany, and then came again to the United States, settling in St. Louis in 1903. Here he entered the employ of the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company as designer of stations, and later he became connected with the director of public works, being thus engaged during the time of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. In this connection he designed buildings, including the airdrome for airships and also the buildings for the Boer exhibition. When the fair was over he accepted a position as chief engineer in the building department of the city and continued to act in that capacity until 1919, during which period he designed several buildings for the city. While thus serving he became silent partner in the firm of Lee & Rush in 1905 and when he left the city department in 1919 it was for the purpose of devoting his time exclusively to the interests of his own firm. They are numbered among the prominent architects of the state, making a specialty of large hospitals and churches and other buildings of great size. Some of the finest structures of the city and state stand as monuments to their ability, and they have gained a reputation as one of the leading firms of architects in St. Louis.
It was in this city in November, 1904, that Mr. Rush was united in marriage to Miss Marie Grueneberg, and four children have been born to them: Henry, Jr., Mary, Irma and Hildegard.
The activities and experiences which have come to Mr. Rush have been broad, varied and interesting. He was given a full citizenship in the Transvaal Republic as a reward for his services, this being considered a very high prize in that country. Aside from the military service already mentioned he was likewise in the Jamieson raid in South Africa in 1895. Since coming to the new world he has taken out his citizenship papers here and has given his political allegiance largely to the republican party but does not hesitate to cast an independent ballot if his judgment so dictates. He was a member of the St. Louis Home Guards' during the World war. His religious faith is that of the Lutheran church and he also has membership with the American Society of Civil Engineers and with the St. Louis Engineering Club. He is a man of highly developed powers and ability along the line of his chosen profession and has ever been actuated by a laudable ambition to obtain a high degree of efficiency in this field. Step by step he has advanced, and the high quality of his work is today widely recognized.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Ernest John RussellErnest John Russell, a national figure in architectural circles and member of the firm of Mauran, Russell & Crowell of St. Louis, was born in London, England, March 6, 1870, his parents being John Stokes and Mary J. (Mayhew) Russell, the former now deceased. Early in the '70s the parents came with their family to the new world and after six months spent in Chicago proceeded to Colorado Springs, Colorado, for it was the condition of his health that caused the father to seek a change of climate in the United States. There he largely lived retired, although he devoted some attention to ranching to the time of his death, which occurred in 1880, when he was forty-six years of age. The mother yet makes her home at Colorado Springs. The family numbered nine children, five sons and four daughters.
Ernest John Russell, the eldest of the family, after completing his public school education at Colorado Springs began providing for his own support when a youth of fifteen years by serving as a messenger boy with the Western Union. His service in that connection, however, covered but twenty-four hours. He quit because the manager would not allow him to go home for dinner and soon afterward he secured a position as office boy with Frank T. Lent, of Colorado Springs, a prominent architect, under whom he studied. Developing his powers along that line, he made rapid progress and from 1896 to 1900 was connected with Shipley, Ristaue & Collidge who discontinued in 1900 when he entered upon the practice of the profession on his own account as a member of the firm of Mauran, Russell & Garden in St. Louis. Following the withdrawal of Mr. Garden, the other partners were joined by Mr. Crowell, forming the present firm of Mauran, Russell & Crowell, a connection which has been maintained since 1911. Evidence of their superior ability is found in the many fine buildings for which they have made the plans. They were the architects of the Railway Exchange building, the Laclede Gas Light' building, the Second Baptist church, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, the Federal Reserve Bank building, all of St. Louis; the Rice Hotel and municipal auditorium at Houston, Texas; the Galvez Hotel at Galveston; the Gunter Hotel of San Antonio; the Lee Huckins Hotel of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and many other prominent structures at various points in the country. Not only does this firm rank with the leading architects of St. Louis but enjoys a wide reputation in other sections of the country, Mr. Russell being regarded as one of America's leading architects and he is undoubtedly the best engineer in St. Louis. He was a national delegate to the international meeting of architects in London and he is consulted upon ail national architectural problems. Thoroughly grounded in the essentials of his profession, his resourcefulness inspires confidence and his indefatigable energy retains it. In the local chapter of the American Institute of Architects as well as in the conventions and councils of the institute itself he has always been a leader of thought and action. He is a fellow of the American Institute of Architects and has been president of the St. Louis chapter, while in the national organization he has been made chairman of the jurisdictional disputes committee and chairman of the sub-committee on cooperation with related interests.
On the 25th of September, 1895, at Springfield, Ohio, Mr. Russell was married to Miss Elizabeth B. Dunlap, a native of the Buckeye state and a daughter of Dr. Charles and Frances Warder (Bacon) Dunlap. Mr. and Mrs. Russell have two children, Mary Dunlap and Elizabeth Bacon.
An Episcopalian in religious faith, Mr. Russell has membership in St. Peter's Episcopal church and he is keenly interested in the questions which are of vital importance to the city in connection with its material, intellectual, social, economic and moral problems. He has been an earnest supporter of such activities as social centers and playgrounds and was a member of the St. Louis Public Recreation Commission from 1908 until 1909 and again in 1911. He was a member of the St. Louis house of delegates in 1909 and 1911. In the latter year he was made a member of the board of appeals, filling the position for two years. He has served as Chairman of the St. Louis City Plans Commission, is a member of the American Society for Testing Materials, a member of the National Housing Conference, the American Town Planning. Institute, the National City Planning Conference and of the Civic League. During the World war he served on the United States Shipping Board and was assistant chief of production and of the housing division of the board.
Mr. Russell's Interests center in St. Louis, where he has been admitted to membership in practically every social club of importance in the city, including the University, St. Louis, Racquet, Noonday and Bellerive Country Clubs. In this connection one who has long known him said: "He is one of the most lovable and beloved men in St. Louis. He is noted for his poise at the speaker's table, making no attempt at rhetorical show, but recognized as a forceful speaker on account of his direct and concise treatment of any subject undertaken. He goes straight to the point briefly and leaves nothing misunderstood." He is a reader of the best literature, attends the best plays and the best operas. In a word, Mr. Russell is never content "with the second best, whether in the line of recreation or entertainment, in the promotion of great civic interests or in the exercise of his professional activity.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.