Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" S "

J. Sydney Salkey, member of the St. Louis bar, was born in Los Angeles, California, July 8, 1888. His father, Jacob S. Salkey, was born in Chicago and devoted much of his life to merchandising. He became the treasurer of the Irwin Garment Company of St. Louis and was thus well known in business circles of this city.
J. Sydney Salkey obtained his early education in the schools of Los Angeles, California, but with the removal of the family to St. Louis became a pupil in the schools of this city at the age of twelve years and passed through consecutive grades to the high school. His college training was received in the University of Chicago from which he was graduated in 1910 with the Bachelor of Philosophy degree. With broad literary learning to serve as a foundation on which to build the superstructure of professional knowledge he entered Washington University for the study of law and gained his LL. B. degree in 1911. The previous year he was admitted to the bar and since his graduation he has engaged in general and corporation, practice and specializes in federal taxation law. His practice is now extensive and of a very important character and he enjoys the respect and goodwill of his associates in the St. Louis Bar Association, the Missouri State Bar Association and the American Bar Association. Appreciative of the social amenities of life Mr. Salkey has membership in the Westwood Country, the Columbian, the City and the Sunset Hill Country Clubs. He has resided in St. Louis from the age of twelve years and his sterling qualities have made his circle of friends almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintance.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

SAMELSON, I., business man; born St. Louis, Mo., in 1858; in 1863 his parents removed to Memphis, and he attended the public schools of that place until he was fourteen years of age, then entered the employ of Menkin Bros., dealers in dry goods, as assistant bookkeeper; a little later he secured a position with S. Coleman’s cigar store, and was there six years, when he entered the service of Sternberg & Lee, wholesale cigars and tobacco, as a traveling salesman, and for four years he traveled in Tennessee and Mississippi; at the end of that time he opened a retail cigar business in Memphis, and a year later entered the wholesale business on a small scale; he is now member of the firm I. Samelson & Co., Memphis, Tenn.
Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler


Wilbur C. SchwartzWilbur C. Schwartz, attorney at law and vice president of the Municipal Assembly of St. Louis, was born in Edwardsville, Illinois, August 2, 1889. He is of German descent, his grandparents coming from Germany to the new world in 1849 and settling in St. Louis. His father, William Schwartz, was born in Edwardsville, Illinois, January 14, 1866, and is now a retired farmer of that place. He wedded Mary Feldman who was born in St. Louis March 10, 1866, a daughter of Carl Feldman of this city. The only brother of Wilbur C. Schwartz was John Schwartz who made the supreme sacrifice during the World war, his death resulting from pneumonia, in 1918.
Wilbur C. Schwartz was educated in the public schools of his native city and in Washington University at St. Louis where he was graduated in 1911 with the LL. B. degree. He is now engaged in the general practice of law and in 1916 was elected to the board of aldermen and was chosen vice president of that body in 1919, holding the position to the present time.
On the 23rd of June, 1916, Mr. Schwartz was married in St. Louis to Miss Adele Byerly, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Byerly, who died during the early girlhood of Mrs. Schwartz.
Mr. Schwartz is a member of the Evangelical church and he gives his political support to the republican party. During the World war he served as a member of the legal advisory board. He is well known in lodge circles belonging to George Washington Lodge No. 9, A. F. & A. M.; Beliefontalne Chapter No. 20, R. A. M.; Ascalon Commandery, K. T.; the Grotto and Moolah Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a past commander of the Knights of Pythias; belongs to the loyal Order of Moose and has membership in the Missouri Athletic Association. His official duties are making constant demand upon his time for he is a capable and conscientious official whose activities are constituting a tangible element for progress and improvement in municipal affairs.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Henry
                  Clarkson ScottScott, Henry Clarkson
If each individual used his talents to the utmost and neglected no duty that devolved upon him the problems of the world would be settled. There are men here and there whose high sense of honor prompts them to the fulfillment of every obligation and to the utilization of every opportunity for advancement. Such was the record of Henry Clarkson Scott who became a dynamic force in the business world, contributing to the upbuilding not only of St. Louis but of various other sections of the country and who while winning substantial success never for a moment forgot that business was but one phase of life and not the sole end and aim of existence. On the contrary his career was characterized by the highest principles and the world is better for his having lived. He came to St. Louis from Fredericksburg, Virginia, where his birth occurred on the 5th of May, 1859, his parents being Hugh and Anne (Clarkson) Scott. His public school training was supplemented by a course of study in the Fredericksburg Military Institute from which he was graduated with the rank of captain and adjutant.
Mr. Scott was a young man of but twenty-two years when he arrived in St Louis in 1881 and from that time until his demise he was closely associated with business affairs of the city, his energies being first directed to his duties as secretary of the Carondelet Gas Light Company of which he became manager in 1884. Following his resignation he founded the Laclede Power Company and was elected to the presidency so continuing until the company was taken over by the North American Company. In the meantime he had become closely associated with various industrial, commercial and financial projects and business enterprises, his cooperation being eagerly sought by reason of his keen business sagacity, his sound judgment and his ability in discriminating between the essential and the non-essential in all business affairs. Moreover, he united and coordinated seemingly diverse elements into a unified and harmonious whole and never stopped short of the successful accomplishment of his purpose. He was not only the president of the Laclede Power Company but also of the National Light & Improvement Company, of the Missouri & Illinois Coal Company and a director of the Merchants Laclede National Bank, the Hydraulic Press Brick Company and the American Central Insurance Company. Various points in the southwest profited by his sound judgment, his keen discernment and indefatigable energy. He became the president of the Fort Worth Light & Power Company of Fort Worth, Texas; president of the Waco Gas Company and Citizens Railway Company of Waco, Texas; president of the Wichita Gas 6 Electric Company of Wichita, Kansas; vice president of the Beliefontaine Cemetery Association; and a director of the American Surety Company of New York. The value of his judgment in business matters was widely recognized and at all times he commanded the respect of his fellowmen by his fairness, progressiveness and initiative.
On the 14th of February, 1893, was celebrated the marriage of Henry Clarkson Scott and Miss Bertha Drake, whose father, George Silas Drake, is mentioned elsewhere in this work, for he was an honored pioneer resident of St. Louis where he took up his abode in 1826. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Scott were four in number: Hugh, Anne Warburton, George Drake and Alice Marion. The elder daughter on the 12th of June, 1918, became the wife of Thomas S. Blumer of Boston, Massachusetts, where they reside, and they now have one daughter, Nancy Scott Mr. Blumer was a first lieutenant in the Massachusetts Field Artillery during the World war.
Mr. Scott's older son, Hugh, was a member of the Three Hundred and Fortieth Field Artillery of the Eighty-ninth Division. He left the senior class In Yale and was graduated in absento. In May, 1917, he enlisted and was sent to the officers' training camp at Fort Riley, where he was under the instruction of General Wood for a year. He was made a lieutenant in August, 1917, and was sent to France the following June. He participated in the St. Mihiel offensive and was on the Euvexans front at the time of the signing of the armistice, after which he was sent with the army of occupation into Germany where he remained until May, 1919. He then returned home and is now associated with Robert Gaylord, Incorporated, a paper box manufacturing company. On the 6th of October, 1920, he married Miss Anne Block, a daughter of Harry L. Block of St. Louis.
George Drake Scott, the younger son, also left Yale where he was a student in the Sheffield Scientific School, in May, 1917, and joined the navy. Later he was transferred to the naval aviation section and was graduated at the Massachusetts School of Technology as an ensign in February, 1918. He was then made instructor in aviation at Bay Shore, Long Island, and left the service in April, 1919, with the rank of junior grade lieutenant. He is now associated with George Tiffany 6 Company, cotton brokers of St. Louis.
Mr. Scott did not live to witness the splendid record made by his sons in military service for he passed away on the 14th of January, 1911, when fifty-two years of age. He was an Episcopalian in religious faith, attending the services of Christ Church Cathedral and was a devoted member of its chapter. Mr. Scott long took a helpful part in benevolent and charitable activities and in all good works. For a number of years prior to his death he had been one of the directors of St. Luke's (Episcopal) Hospital and he was chairman of the committee managing the business affairs of Holy Cross Mission. He held membership in the Society of the Cincinnati and belonged to the St Louis Mercantile Library Association of which he was president and director, the Academy of Science, the Missouri Historical Society and various social organizations, including the St. Louis, Noonday, University, St. Louis Country, Florissant, Bellerive, Commercial and Contemporary Clubs. When he passed away the Merchants Laclede Bank said of him: "Combined with ripe experience, wisdom and foresight that insured a splendid success and prosperity to whatever business devoted, he possessed such courteous manners, such charming social qualities, and generosity of heart, as endeared him to all his friends and make the loss irreparable." This was but one of many expressions of regret at his passing made by various boards of which he was a member. All who knew him felt that a good man had been called to his reward. He held with Abraham Lincoln that "there is something better than making a living— making a life," and his contribution to the world's work was indeed valuable along the lines of cultural and moral progress. Well descended and well bred the innate refinement of his nature was opposed to anything gross or common and the high ideals which he cherished were transmitted as a priceless legacy to his family.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Seddon, Scott
Prominently known as a writer on many legal subjects and a successful law practitioner of the St. Louis bar is Scott Seddon, who was born January 9, 1892, in the city which is still his home, his parents being James Alexander and Louise Q. (Scott) Seddon. The father, who was a native of Richmond, Virginia, came to St. Louis in 1872, and here entered upon the practice of law which he has followed very successfully. He also served at one time as Judge of the circuit court. His wife was a native of St. Louis, where they were married. Her antecedents were from Virginia. Mrs. Seddon passed away when her son Scott was but two years of age. In both the paternal and maternal line Scott Seddon comes of an old Virginia family.
In the acquirement of his education Mr. Seddon attended the Smith Academy at St Louis and then went to Tale, winning his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1914 upon the completion of a classical course. His law studies were pursued in Washington University and he was graduated in 1916, with the LL. B. degree. He entered upon the general practice of law in St Louis in the same year and concentrated his attention upon the upbuilding of his practice until May 26, 1917, when America having entered the war with Germany, he enlisted as a private in the Marine Corps and was assigned .to active duty June 26, 1917, at the navy yard in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.- On the 18th of August, 1917, he was transferred to the second officer's training camp at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, and there won a commission as second lieutenant. He left the training camp, November 27, 1917, and was assigned to the Three Hundred Thirty-sixth Regiment of the Field Artillery of the Eighty-seventh Division at Gamp Pike. He remained with that regiment throughout the war except for two months spent at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, in the School of Fire. On leaving Fort Sill he joined his regiment at Fort Dix, New Jersey, and sailed from New York on the 23d of August, 1918, remaining in France until March 8, 1919, when he returned to America and received his honorable discharge at Gamp Taylor on the 18th of the month.
Returning to St. Louis, Mr. Seddon at once resumed the private practice of law and is regarded as an able young attorney, excelling in civil practice. Moreover he has become well known as a writer on many legal subjects, his discussion of which is at times extremely profound, as attested by his colleagues and contemporaries at the bar.
Mr. Seddon belongs to Christ Church Cathedral (Episcopal) and is an active supporter of the Red Cross. He is also identified with the Phi Delta Phi, a college fraternity, and in club circles is well known belonging to the University, Ridgedale Country, City, and Sunset Hill Clubs of St. Louis and the Tale Club of New York.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


David B. Seibert, who following his training received in country banks of Missouri has come to a prominent position in the financial circles of St. Louis as vice president of the International Bank, was born in Perry county, Missouri, December 29, 1853. His father, Daniel Seibert, was a native of Virginia and in his youth came with his father to Missouri, the family settling on a farm in Perry county where the grandfather spent his remaining days, his attention being devoted to general agricultural pursuits. The death of Daniel Seibert occurred in 1874. He, too, had been a successful farmer and he lived the life of a consistent Christian, holding membership in the Methodist church. In early manhood he wedded Melissa McCombs, of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, who passed away in 1875. They were the parents of five children, of whom three are living.
David B. Seibert, the second in order of birth, was educated in the district schools of Perry county and in the St. Louis University, which he attended in 1872 and 1873. He afterward taught school for two years in Cape Girardeau and then took up the occupation of farming which he followed for three or four years. Subsequently he became identified with commercial pursuits as proprietor of a general store and also engaged in the manufacture of flour, managing a mill for several years. He was active and prominent in connection with public affairs in Cape Girardeau and for three years filled the position of city collector there.. He later became cashier of the Cape County Savings Bank at Jackson, occupying that position for seven years after which he was made state bank examiner of Missouri by Sam B. Cook and occupied the office for four years. This gave him splendid insight into the banking business and on the 1st of March, 1895, he became connected with the International Bank of St. Louis as its vice president and has continued in this executive position to the present time.
In 1876 Mr. Seibert was married to Miss Rillie. Wilson, of Cape Girardeau, and they have become the parents of two sons: Dr. David Glen Seibert, who is a practicing physician of Jackson, Missouri, married Miss Ella Wilkinson, by whom he has four children; William Wilson Seibert, an attorney by profession, is now serving as state bank examiner of Missouri and married Miss Kate Dennis.
In his fraternal relations Mr. Seibert is a Mason, belonging to the lodge at Jackson, Missouri, of which he was master for a number of years, and at all times exemplifying in his life the beneficent spirit of the craft. He turns for recreation to our national game of baseball. While of quiet manner his sterling worth has won him a host of friends and his business ability has given him high standing as a banker.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Alfred Lee Shapleigh, who since July, 1901, has been the treasurer of the Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis, his native city, was born February 16, 1862, a son of Augustus Frederick and Elizabeth Anne (Umstead) Shapleigh. He pursued his education in the academic department and for two years in the undergraduate department of Washington University, and he initiated his business career as a clerk in the Merchants National Bank, while later he was with Thomson & Taylor, wholesale coffee and spice dealers, until 1882. In the latter year he became cashier of the Mound City Paint & Color Company, thus continuing until 1885 when he was elected secretary of the A. F. Shapleigh Hardware Company. Since that time, or for a period of thirty-six years, he has been continuously connected with the hardware establishment which is today one of the foremost concerns of the kind in the country. The business was reorganized under the name of the Shapleigh Hardware Company and in July; 1901, Alfred L. Shapleigh was chosen treasurer, in which position he has since continued and on the 1st of January, 1912, was elected chairman of the board of directors. Something of the volume of their trade is indicated in the fact that they are now represented upon the road by two hundred and seventy traveling salesmen. Alfred L. Shapleigh is also the president of the Shapleigh Investment Company and identified with various other corporate interests which regard his cooperation and sound Judgment as valuable assets in their successful conduct. He is the president of the Union Lead Company, also of the Washington Land ft Mining Company, is vice president of the Merchante-Laclede National Bank, vice president of the American Credit Indemnity Company of New York and a director of the St Louis Cotton Compress Company and the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company.
On the 21st of November, 1888, Mr. Shapleigh was married to Miss Mina Wessel, of Cincinnati, Ohio, and they reside at 6 Portland place in St. Louis. They have two children: Alexander Wessel Shapleigh, born August 22, 1890, treasurer of the Shapleigh Hardware Company, and who married Lois McKinney of Chicago, and they have three children, Alexander Wessel Shapleigh, Jr., Alfred Lee Shapleigh II, and Warren McKinney Shapleigh; and Jane, born May 29, 1895. Mr. and Mrs. Shapleigh are members of the Presbyterian church and in club circles he is well known through his membership in the Commercial, St. Louis, Racquet, St. Louis Country, Bellerive, Noonday, Bogey, Deer Plain and Harbor Point Country Clubs. The extent and nature of his interests is further indicated in the fact that he is a member of the Missouri Historical Society, the Sons of the Revolution, the Society of the Cincinnati and the Society of Colonial Wars, while his cooperation in much that has to do with the city's welfare and advancement has been manifest in many tangible ways. He is now a director of the Mercantile Library Association, the treasurer of the St. Louis Light Artillery Armory Association, president of. the Hospital Saturday and Sunday Association, a director of the Washington University, a director and member of the executive committee of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Company, was formerly a member of the republican state central committee and is now a member of the St. Louis Chamber of Commerce, of which at one time he was president. His activities have practically touched all those interests which affect the general welfare of society or which feature in municipal progress, as well as the business interests which have made St Louis a great commercial center of the Mississippi valley.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Augustus Frederick ShapleighShapleigh, Augustus F.
While American trade annals contain records of many men who have been the architects of their own fortunes there has been no record more creditable by reason of undaunted energy, well formulated plans and straightforward dealing than that of Augustus Ferderick Shapleigh, the founder of one of the most important commercial enterprises of St. Louis. The name has become a synonym for the hardware trade here and the extensive house, now conducted under the style of the Shapleigh Hardware Company, remains as a monument to his progressive spirit and business ability.
A native of New Hampshire, Augustus F. Shapleigh was born at Portsmouth, January 9, 1810, a son of Captain Richard and Dorothy (Blaisdell) Shapleigh. The ancestry of the family in America is traced back to Alexander Shapleigh, who was a merchant and ship owner of Devonshire, England, and prior to 1635 came to America in his own ship "Benediction" as representative of Sir Ferdinando Gorges. He built the first house at Kittery Point, now in the state of Maine, on the river Piscataqua, authority for which statement is found in the entry on the records of the York court in 1650; "For as much as the house at the river's mouth where Mr. Shapleigh first bylt and Hilton now dwelleth; in regard it was the first house there bylt."
In successive generations members of the Shapleigh family filled important offices of trust under the British crown and were rewarded by landed possessions which are still held by members of the family, constituting a tenure of more than two hundred and fifty years.
Major Nicholas Shapleigh, son of the American progenitor, was especially prominent in colonial affairs in the province of Maine, serving for many years as a member of the council and as treasurer of the province from 1649 to 1653. He was a commander of the militia from 1656 to 1663, made a treaty with the Sagamore Indians in 1678 and was attorney for the lord proprietor, Robert Mason. He also represented his district in the Massachusetts general court until his death. The line of descent is traced down through Alexander, son of the first Alexander, Captain John, Major Nicholas II, Nicholas III, Captain Elisha and Captain Richard Shapleigh to Augustus F. Shapleigh, of this review. In 1706 Captain John Shapleigh was killed by the Indians, who at that time captured his son. Major Nicholas Shapleigh served for a long period ag major of the colonial wars while his son Nicholas took part in colonial wars with the "Blue Trupe of York," one of the companies of the regiment commanded by Sir William Pepperell. Captain Elisha Shapleigh, one of the sons of Nicholas Shapleigh III, raised the first company of the Second York County Regiment and as its captain served in the Revolutionary war.
Captain Richard Shapleigh, father of Augustus F. Shapleigh, was master and owner of the ship Granville, which was wrecked off Rye Beach, New Hampshire, in 1813. In that disaster he lost his life, his ship and much of his property, and upon the son soon devolved the necessity of assisting the mother in the support of the family. Mrs. Shapleigh was a daughter of Abner Blaisdell, of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, who served in the Revolutionary war as sergeant in Captain Titus Salter's company of artillery at Fort Washington and later with Captain John Langdon's Light Horse Volunteers.
The early boyhood of Augustus F. Shapleigh was devoted to acquiring an education, but when his father died and the family was left in straitened financial circumstances, he sought and secured a position as clerk in a hardware store at Portsmouth, New Hampshire, where in compensation for a year's services he received the sum of fifty dollars and .boarded himself. The succeeding three years were devoted to seafaring life, during which he made several voyages to Europe, but at the solicitation of his mother and sisters, he left the sea and secured employment with the hardware house of Rogers Brothers & Company, of Philadelphia. Entering that employ in 1829, he there remained for thirteen years and successive promotion eventually made him Junior partner. This firm extended its operations to St. Louis in 1843 and Mr. Shapleigh's business capacity, understanding of the trade and powers of organization led to his selection for the establishment of .the hardware house of Rogers, Shapleigh & Company, under which name the trade was continued until the death of the senior partner. Thomas D. Day was then taken in and the firm was reorganized under the name of Shapleigh, Day & Company, thus operating for sixteen years, or until the retirement of Mr. Day, when the firm of A. F. Shapleigh & Company continued the business until 1880. In that year the A. F. Shapleigh & Cantwell Hardware Company was incorporated and when Mr. Cantwell retired in 1886, the name was changed to the A. F. Shapleigh Hardware Company, which was retained until the retirement of Mr. Shapleigh in 1901. The business was then reorganized as the Norvell-Shapleigh Hardware Company, the corporate name being changed a few years later to Shapleigh Hardware Company. From 1845, A. F. Shapleigh was the head of this well known establishment and from its incorporation until his retirement acted as president He trained his sons to the business, except Dr. John B. Shapleigh, who is a prominent aurist Alfred L., chairman of the board of directors, and Richard W., now president, exercise a controlling interest in the house, which from its organization has made continuous progress, enjoying that creditable and enviable prosperity which results from careful systematization, undaunted determination and the execution of well defined plans and purposes. Today the house has no superior in the entire Mississippi valley, its ramifying trade interests reaching out to practically all sections of the country and to foreign countries, while the development of the business has been an indispensable factor in making St Louis the center of the hardware trade.
Aside from his connection with this business Mr. Shapleigh was associated with various other business concerns, all of which constitute elements in the city's development as well as the source ofrevenue to himself. In 1859 he became identified with the State Bank of St. Louis and in 1862 was elected a director of the Merchants National Bank, so continuing until 1890, when he resigned in favor of his son Alfred L. Shapleigh. He was also president of the Phoenix Insurance Company, vice president of the Covenant Mutual Life Insurance Company and interested in the Hope Mining Company and the Granite Mountain Mining Company.
The marriage of Mr. Shapleigh and Miss Elizabeth Anne Umstead, of Philadelphia, was celebrated in 1838, and they became parents of eight children, five of whom survive; Mrs. J. Will Boyd, A. F., Dr. John B., Richard W. and Alfred Lee Shapleigh.
The death of Augustus F. Shapleigh occurred in February, 1902, when he had reached the venerable age of ninety-two years. Thus passed from, life one whose activity made the world better. While he never sought the distinction that comes in political and military circles, his record was characterized by the faithful performance of each day's duty to the best of his ability—and that his ability was of superior order is indicated in the splendid results he achieved. His entire career was in conformity with the highest standard of commercial ethics, and his history indicates that splendid success and an honored name may be won simultaneously. In early manhood he gave his political support to the whig party and on its dissolution Joined the ranks of the republican party. He was long a member of the Central Presbyterian church and religion was to him no mere idle word. It guided him in all his relations with his fellowmen, and he ever strove toward those ideals of living which were set before the world by the Nazarene teacher more than nineteen centuries ago.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


The hardware business of which Augustus F. Shapleigh became the founder and promoter was carried on for many years by his son, Frank Shapleigh, in whose death on the 1st of January, 1901, St Louis lost one of its leading residents and representative merchants. All who knew him bore testimony to his ability and his worth as a man. His birth occurred in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 18, 1838, and he was a boy of scarcely five years when brought to St Louis by his parents, Augustus F. and Elizabeth Anne (Umstead) Shapleigh. He pursued his education in the Wyman school at Sixteenth and Pine streets in St Louis until he had mastered the elementary branches of learning, after which he continued his education at Hermann, Missouri, until 1857.
In that year Frank Shapleigh became connected with the hardware establishment of which his father was the head and which at that time was conducted under the firm name of Shapleigh, Day & Company. He applied himself to the mastery of the business and gained comprehensive knowledge of every phase of the hardware trade. It has been said that "power grows through the exercise of effort" and by Ws continued application, enterprise and Industry Frank Shapleigh became more and more thoroughly qualified for the conduct of the business. His training was received under his father and he became the associate of his brothers in the management of the Shapleigh Hardware Company. The company always maintained the highest standards in the personnel of the house, in the treatment accorded patrons and in the line of goods carried and their patronage became one of mammoth proportions, their house outstripping many competitors and winning a place among the leading hardware establishments of the Mississippi Valley.
On the 6th of June, 1865, Frank Shapleigh was united in marriage in St Louis to Miss Mary Daggett, daughter of the Hon. John D. Daggett, who was at one time mayor of St. Louis. Mr. Shapleigh held membership in the Business Men's League, the Mercantile Club and the Merchants Exchange. His religious belief was that of the Presbyterian church and his life was guided by high and honorable principles. To his family he was devoted and he always held ^friendship inviolable. His own career exemplified the Emersonian philosophy that "the way to win a friend is to be one." He maintained unsullied the honored name transmitted to him by his father and when death called him St. Louis chronicled the loss of one of her most valued citizens. He regarded himself but as the steward of his wealth and used his means wisely and generously for the benefit of others, and at no time was he oblivious to nor neglectful of the duties and obligations of citizenship.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


To say that Richard Waldron Shapleigh has for ten years been president of the Shapleigh Hardware Company is at once to establish his position as one of the foremost merchants of St. Louis. Born in this city September 28, 1859, he was educated in the public schools and in the Washington University in which he pursued the academic course. He became connected with the hardware company in 1876 and had thorough training in all departments of the business, serving from stock boy up to salesman. He has for some years given special attention to establishing trademark merchandise and the name "Diamond Edge" is known today wherever hardware and building supplies are used. It has become a synonym for standard quality in these lines. Mr. Shapleigh has accomplished his purpose in this direction. Indeed he is a man who never stops short of the attainment of his objective and his methods are at all times of a constructive and progressive nature. The firm today is represented by two hundred and seventy traveling salesmen and their business extends to Mexico, Porto Rico, Central America and various European centers. The confidence and esteem which the salesmen and all employees of the house have for the officers of the concern is notably remarkable and is largely due to the efforts and policy of Richard W. Shapleigh who believes in absolute fairness, a Just wage and due consideration for all those in his service. If an individual is once employed by the Shapleigh Hardware Company and proves satisfactory, his position is insured and, moreover, the employee is thoroughly satisfied with the business conditions and environment which surround him. Such a course as is followed by the Shapleigh Company would if universally adopted forever settle the questions of labor unrest
On the 22d of September, 1886, Mr. Shapleigh was married to Miss Helen Shapleigh, a daughter of Marshall and Elizabeth (Blandy) Shapleigh, the former a well known white goods merchant of Philadelphia., One child has been born of this marriage: Dorothy, who is now Mrs. Leo deSmet Carton. She has one son, Benoist Langdon Carton, born in 1911.
Of the Episcopal faith Mr. Shapleigh is a communicant of Christ Church Cathedral. He belongs to the St. Louis Club, the St. Louis Country Club, the Bellerive Club, the Noonday Club and the Missouri Athletic Association and he finds his recreation in golf. He needs no commendation of his career. His business record speaks for itself but the constructive policy which he has followed may well serve as an example to others and an analyzation of the development of the trade indicates that the growth is attributable in no small measure to the efforts of him who for the past ten years has been the head of the establishment.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Jane Redd Gentry SheltonMrs. Jane Redd Gentry Shelton, wife of Theodore Shelton, is one of the best known women of Missouri and no record of the state would be complete without extended reference to her, not alone by reason of the fact that she is a representative of one of the oldest and most distinguished families of the state and comes of a notably prominent ancestral line but also by reason of her personal contribution of valuable service to many of the important activities which tend to the uplift of the individual and the advancement of the community at large.
She was born May 28, 1848, at Oak Dale, the country seat of the Gentry family, about three miles northwest of Sedalia, Missouri, her parents being Judge and Mrs. William Gentry, of Pettis county. She comes of a family distinctively American in both its lineal and collateral lines. Her great-grandfather, Richard Gentry married Jane Harris, a granddaughter of Major Robert Harris, who was a member of the Virginia house of burgesses from 1730 until 1742. Richard Gentry was a valiant soldier in the Revolutionary war and was present when Cornwallis surrendered his forces at Yorktown. Mrs. Shelton indeed has reason to be proud of her ancestral history, for she is a direct descendant of John Crawford of Scotland, who landed at Jamestown, Virginia, in 1643 and obtained several grants of land, upon one of which he settled Her great-grandfather, David Thomson, was a major of the War of 1812 and with the rank of general commanded the Second Battalion of Kentucky Volunteers at the battle of the Thames. The wife of General Thomson was Elizabeth Suggett, daughter of John Suggett and Mildred Davis, and it is a matter of record (Filson Club Publication Vol. 12, p. 50) that they were among those who made memorable the defense of Bryant Station, Kentucky, August 16, 1782, when it was learned that the Indians and British were preparing for an attack on Bryant Springs, near Lexington, Kentucky. It was found the fort was inadequately supplied with water and the women and children went bravely forth with their pails (as was their custom), reasoning that if the Indians thought the small garrison had no knowledge of their proximity, they would await nightfall for their attack, a surmise that proved to be true. The women and children therefore went forth with their buckets, knowing they were under the eyes of savages, and Mrs. Mildred (Davis) Suggett and her husband's sister, Jemima Suggett Johnson, led the party to the spring, returning unmolested with the water for the siege. In the attack which followed the Indians shot flaming arrows into the fort and one of them fell into the cradle of the infant son of Jemima Suggett Johnson, Richard Mentor Johnson, who lived to become the vice president of the United States. A monument erected on the site of McClelland's Fort at Georgetown, Kentucky, to General McClelland and his men, and to the Revolutionary soldiers who were buried in Scott county, by the Big Springs Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in the summer of 1920, contains among the many names those of but two women, the great-great-. grandmother of Mrs. Shelton, Mildred Davis Suggett, and Jemima Suggett Johnson, her great-great-aunt Mrs. Shelton was among the many Suggett descendants who were present at the unveiling of this monument. By reason of their bravery in leading the procession for water they were classed with the soldiers who successfully defended the fort.
William Gentry, the father of Mrs. Theodore Shelton, born April 14, 1818, at Old Franklin, Howard county, Missouri, was among the most enterprising farmers and successful stock breeders in Missouri, owning and cultivating six thousand acres of land near Sedalia, Missouri. He was the son of Reuben Estes Gentry and Elizabeth White who came from Madison county, Kentucky, and settled in Missouri in 1809. For a long time William Gentry was president of the State Agricultural Fair Association. At the same time he held numerous responsible, honorable and important positions by appointment and on various occasions was chosen representative of the agricultural and live stock interests of the state, in which his pride and enthusiasm were paramount It was through his efforts that the first live stock fairs in the state were organized and held their first exhibitions, 1857-8, in his woodland pasture, a half mile north of his colonial home, where generous hospitality was extended to his many friends from adjoining counties. The premiums were solid silver, made by Jaccard & Company of St. Louis (coin), his five daughters each receiving among her wedding gifts a half dozen of these silver water cups, besides pitchers, ladles, spoons, etc. John R., the youngest son of Major William Gentry, raised among his many famous horses the "Great John R. Gentry," who electrified the world with his speed, lowering the record to 2:00%. He was unquestionably the greatest horse of his day and generation. He was born January 1, 1888, died December 14, 1920, and was buried in the State Fair grounds at Nashville, Tennessee, with all the honor and love befitting one so great. For twenty years Major Gentry served as county judge of Pettis county, filling the position until 1862, when he was appointed major of the Fortieth Regiment of enrolled militia by Governor Gamble, so serving until the regiment was mustered out. Subsequently he served with the same rank in the Fifth Regiment of provisional militia until the close of the war. His many noble deeds firmly established him in the hearts of the people of Missouri. Though all of hia own and his wife's affiliations, by blood and association, had been with the south and though his people were large slaveholders, he opposed secession and remained loyal to the flag. In 1875 he was appointed by Governor Hardin as one of the Missouri state managers for the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. In 1879 Governor John S. Phelpe appointed him a delegate to a convention called in New York to form a National Agricultural Society. He was appointed by Governor Marmaduke a member of the state board of health and at its first meeting was elected president and remained as such until his death on the 22d of May, 1890. In 1874 Judge Gentry was nominated by the people's party as candidate for governor. He received the vote of his county and good support from the state but was defeated by Charles H. Hardin. He had no real desire for office, however, his preference being strong for the active pursuits of farming and other business enterprises. He was at one time president of the Lexington & St. Louis Railroad; was also a director of the Missouri, Kansas 6 Texas Railroad, president of the Sedalia, Warsaw ft Southern Railroad and for several years was agent for Pettis county in railroad matters. He and his brother, Richard Gentry, and General George R. Smith guaranteed the right-of-way through Pettis county for the Missouri Pacific Railroad. (See Gentry Family of America, p. 160.) On the 12th of November, 1840, William Gentry wedded Ann Redd Major, daughter of Lewis Redd Major and Mildred Elvira Thomson and granddaughter of John Major and Elizabeth Redd of Virginia. John Major was in the War of the Revolution and was with Washington at Valley Forge. Ann was born on her father's estate of over one thousand acres near Frankfort, Kentucky, July 23, 1824, and removed with her parents in 1833 to Missouri, where they settled on the beautiful estate "Sunny Hill," eight miles northwest of Sedalia, Missouri. The colonial house will be good for another generation. The bricks were made on the place by his slaves. It has always been owned and occupied by his descendants until recently. The wedding was one of the most notable social events in central Missouri at that early date. Ann Redd Major was a lady of rare beauty of character and refinement, gifted with every domestic virtue, a descendant of the chivalry of Virginia. She was noted for her tender sympathy and generosity. Sick soldiers of the Civil war were nursed back to health in her home. Strangers in need were given shelter and protection. After the Civil war it was a familiar sight to meet a half dozen negro women and children coming down the road from the big brick house, each laden with baskets of apples, potatoes, meal, flour, bacon, sugar and coffee, proofs of her sympathetic, generous nature. None ever asked in vain. She was always the friend of the needy, whose burdens she ever tried to lighten. Her gentle manner, her unbounded hospitality, her unselfish devotion to home, friends and family made her beloved by all. A copy of her portrait will be found in Volume II, page 73, Americans of Gentle Birth.
To this union were born eleven children, four of whom are still living, four having died after reaching the age of thirty years and each having lived to establish hospitable homes of their own. Though the family was a large one, all of the children were given the best possible advantages for acquiring a finished education and as a result each member, as well as the father and mother, was noted for culture in literature and the refined arts. The daughter, Jane Redd Gentry, reared at the family home, Oak Dale, near Sedalia, attended school in Georgetown, Missouri, and also became a pupil in the Forest Grove Seminary under Professor Anthony Haynes and Professor A. A. Neal. In 1864-5 she was a student in the Visitation Convent at St. Louis, Missouri, and through out her life she' has manifested a keen interest in literature and all those things which have cultural value. On the 20th of February, 1868, she became the wife of Theodore Shelton, of St. Louis, a leading merchant of the .city, where they have since resided. Mr. Shelton throughout this entire period has continued in the wholesale hat, cap and glove business, having one of the largest establishments of this character in the central section of the Mississippi valley. To Mr. and Mrs. Shelton were born two children: Richard Theodore, who is now the president of the Shelton Panama Hat Company on Washington avenue in St. Louis; and William Gentry, president of the Shelton Electric Company of New York city.
Mrs. Shelton is entitled to membership in all the patriotic societies and has become identified with many of the patriotic societies of the country. She is now a member of the board of the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in Missouri; also belongs to the Order of Americans of Armorial Ancestry, which she joined on its organization; and is the first vice president of the Colonial Daughters of the Seventeenth Century. She is a charter member of the National Society of Daughters of Founders and Patriots of Missouri and has been the treasurer since its organization. She is a Daughter of the American Revolution under five Virginia ancestors and a member of the National Society of United States Daughters of 1812 under two ancestors. Mrs. Shelton and her sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Gentry Skinner, were among the organizers and charter members of the Missouri State Society of United States Daughters of 1812, and the former at the first meeting was elected registrar, while Mrs. Skinner was chosen a director, and these offices they continued to fill through the first seven years. In October, 1915, Mrs. Shelton was elected state president, occupying the position for two and a half years when she was unanimously elected honorary state president for life. The state board presented her with a silver vase, with the insignia of the United States Daughters of 1812, Society of Missouri, engraved upon it, in token of their high esteem. In April, 1916, at the national council in Washington; D. C, she was elected the national auditor of the National Society. She attended the national board at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in October, 1918, and at Hartford, Connecticut, in 1919. She served for two years as regent of the St Louis Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, an organization of four hundred members, and she and her sister, Mrs. Skinner, were for many years delegates for the different organizations holding their national meetings in Washington, D. C. In April, 1917, at the national council held in Washington, she represented the 1812 Society as state president of Missouri and as national auditor. She was delegate to the Colonial Dames of America, representing Mrs. Eliot, the state president of Missouri. She was delegate to the congress of the Daughters of the American Revolution and has also been a delegate to the national convention of the Founders and Patriots of America.
Mrs. Shelton belongs to the State Historical Society of Missouri at Columbia, is a member of the Missouri Historical Society, Jefferson Memorial St. Louis and the Valley Forge Historical Society of Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. For a number of years she has been the St. Louis county and city chairman of the Old Trails Ocean to Ocean Highway and she and her sister, Mrs. Skinner, are charter members of the Chart Club Drawing Rooms, an organization unique and beautiful in sentiment. She is a member of the St. Louis Woman's Club and first vice chairman of the Mortality Tablet Committee under Mrs. Ben F. Gray, the tablet to be erected in the city hall. During the war she was a member of the Women's Committee, Council of National Defense, under Mrs. B. F. Bush, and also a member of the Navy League. From the beginning of the war until now Mrs. Shelton has been untiring in her efforts to cheer and comfort the sick and wounded soldiers. Her grandson, William Gentry Shelton, Jr., was lieutenant in the air service. Her nephew, Harry Duke Skinner, went overseas as a member of the American Expeditionary Force. The youth of her family all over the country responded valiantly to the call to arms. In February, 1917, at the home of Mrs. Shelton, was formed a Red Cross unit among the Daughters of 1812, the first unit formed in St. Louis, on which occasion George Simmons was the speaker. The members of this unit were most enthusiastic in their work throughout the war period and accomplished great good. When Mrs. Shelton was not sewing at the Kinloch Red Cross Headquarters, making bandages, etc, at Washington University and Barnes Hospital, she was at home knitting for the Navy League or doing -other war service that promoted the welfare of American soldiers in camp and field. She was awarded a medal by the United States treasury department for patriotic service in behalf of the Liberty loans. Mrs. Shelton was chosen chairman of the patriotic organizations for the 'armistice parade on the 11th of November, 1920, and marched in the parade from her home to the Municipal theatre.
Mrs. Shelton was appointed a member of the Missouri State Centennial Committee of 1916 and was requested to send the names of two delegates from the U. S. D. 1812 Society of Missouri. She named Mrs. C. C. Evans, of Sedalia, and Mrs. Hugh Miller of Kansas City, thus representing the east, west and central sections of the state. Mrs. Shelton has worked hard and faithfully with the State Society U. S. D. 1812 of Missouri for the bronze roll of fame of the Missouri Pioneers and takes great pride in this beautiful tribute of love to the foundation builders of Missouri. It is the most valuable contribution to early Missouri history that has been accomplished. This magnificent bronze tablet hangs upon the west wall in Jefferson Memorial, made by Gorham and designed by R. P. Bringhurst. Mrs. Shelton presided at this memorable meeting when it was presented and her grandson, Richard Douglass Shelton, drew aside the silken flag that unveiled it. The brass cylinders containing valuable data for each of the names are kept in the vault and added to from time to time.    
Aside from the patriotic organizations with which Mrs. Shelton is connected 'She is much interested in the "Gentry Family of America," an organization which was formed by herself, her brother, Richard T. Gentry of Sedalia, Missouri, and her cousin, General W. H. Gentry of Lexington, Kentucky. At their first meeting in August, 1898, held at Crab Orchard Springs, Kentucky, Richard Gentry of Kansas City, Missouri, was elected president and historian and has published a history of the family which is found in many libraries.
Notwithstanding all of her many, varied and useful activities Mrs. Shelton has been before and above all else a home maker for fifty-three years and gathers about her the loved ones from almost every state in the Union. She inherited the strong character, generous impulses and amiable qualities that distinguished her parents. Her nature, too, is as radiant as a day in June and her hospitality is unbounded. The year before the Louisiana Purchase Exposition was held in St. Louis she gathered the scattered branches of the Gentry family into a reunion at her palatial home and thereafter until the close of the Fair she entertained lavishly and untiringly, her guests coming from every section of the country. No home is more popular in St. Louis, nor are any citizens more highly esteemed than Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Shelton.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

DR. CHARLES O. SHELTON,
Assistant Surgeon, Gulber's Battery, Department of the West.
Charles Oscar Shelton was born in St. Louis, Missouri, Dec. 27, 1835. His parents, John G. Shelton and Mary W. Shelton, were natives of Virginia.
As a boy, he evinced a strong predilection for books; his fondness for study rendering him a favorite with his teachers, while his genial disposition and high sense of honor endeared him to his associates. As a man, he was quiet and undemonstrative, even retiring in manner, yet with a bearing distinguished for courtesy to all.
His preparation for College was made at the St. Louis English and Classical High School, then under the conduct of Mr. Edward Wyman, a gentleman of enviable reputation for scholarly attainments. In the autumn of 1854, he came to Virginia—still cherished by his parents as the land of their birth—and in October he quietly settled down as a student at the University. Here his stay had more of the air of permanence than is usual even with those students who remain longest at College. Having taken up his quarters in No. 9 West Lawn he did not change his dormitory during the four years of his residence at the University. There was an atmosphere of comfort about his room, and in the man an apparent satisfaction with all his surroundings, which suggested to visitors that he felt that he was at home. The circle of his acquaintances was small, that of his associates much smaller. This fact was due rather to his modesty, and his regular attendance to his duties, than to any native Hauteur or disposition to exclusiveness; for he was a gentleman of habitually courteous manner and of pleasing address.
The first three years he spent in the academic course, and during this period graduated in Latin, German, Chemistry, and Political Economy;the fourth session was devoted to the stud of Medicine, after which he repaired to New York, and there spent two years more, attending medical lectures and practicing his profession in the hospital of the city.
After an absences of six years, during which he had been busily preparing himself for the serious duties of life, Dr. Shelton returned to his native city to locate as a physician. Shortly after his arrival, he became a member of “The National Guards,” a Company regularly organized in the State service. In accordance with the laws of Missouri, “The National Guards” together with other Companies, were  at Camp Jackson, attending their yearly drill, when, on the 10th of May, 1861, they were captured by the United States troops and imprisoned in the St. Louis Arsenal. The second day after their capture, the State troops were released on parole, and such as chose to unite their fortunes with the Southern Confederacy, were regularly exchanged as prisoners of war, in November of the same year.
Dr. Shelton immediately availed himself of the opportunity to serve that cause which enlisted all his sympathies. Upon his arrival in “the South,” he was commissioned Assistant-Surgeon, and assigned to duty with Capt. Guiber's Battery, in the Western Department. Eminently fitted for such service as this by his attainments and experience, he entered with enthusiasm upon his duties. But the hardships and exposure of the winter campaign proved too severe for his constitution. In March, 1862, shortly after the battle of Pea Ridge, he was compelled to abandon the field; and being cut off from his home, made a visit to New Orleans, with hope of recovering his health. In this he was disappointed: his system too severely taxed, rejected every remedy, and his strength wasted steadily and rapidly away, until the 22nd of April. In his death, which occurred on that day,the country lost a man of whom any people might be proud, and his profession a member who was already an ornament to it. He was nobler dead than many a living man.
 
THE UNIVERSITY MEMORIAL
Source: The University Memorial Biographical Sketches of Alumni of the University of Virginia Who Fell in the Confederate War, by Rev. John Lipscomb Johnson (1871) 
Transcribed by Mary A. Kifer


JOHN FRANK SQUIRE.
Not until recently did the United States do anything in the way of colonizing in foreign lands, and the work done by our government in this line in the last few years came to it as the fortune of war.  Our policy until it became necessary to vindicate our national honor, avenge our martyred dear of the battleship “Maine,” and redeem Cuba and the Philippines from the tyranny of Spain, was to develop the wide domain and boundless wealth of our land by offering inducements to all the world to come and live among us, through liberal homestead and naturalization laws, before which all should be equal, and enjoy freedom from governmental oppression of every form. And in consequence of this policy we have seen the steady progress of civilization westward from the Atlantic seaboard, over the Alleghanies, through the rich alluvial sloping in either direction from the Father of Waters, across the stupendous Rocky mountains and on to the shores of the Pacific, until we have well nigh realized that three-quarters of a century ago was hopefully prophesied for our far future:  “As the sun rises on a Sabbath morning, the anthem of praise will begin with the hosts on the coast of the Atlantic, be taken up by ten thousand times ten thousand in the valley of the Mississippi, and continued by the thousands of thousands on the Pacific slope.”   Nature gave us a boundless empire, and our hospitality and opportunity for all mankind has magnificently developed it.  In the march of progress the subject of this review has been one of the valiant soldiers of the mighty army, and in the contest with nature he has borne his part as such.  His life began at St. Louis, Missouri, on January 18, 1853, and he is the son of John and Mary J. (Cassell) Squire, the former a native of the state of New York and their latter of Missouri.  The father was a wholesale merchant of bar iron and did well in the trade.  He was a man of prominence in the city of his merchandising and highly respected by its people.  His political affiliation was with the Republican party, but he seldom took an active part in partisan contents.  He died in 1862 and his wife in 1875.  Their son John F. is their only surviving child.  He obtained a good education in the public schools at Pittsfield, Illinois, and at the Episcopal College of Palmyra, Missouri.  After completing his course he turned his attention to the drug trade and learned the business from its foundation by close attention to its every phase and detail, following it five years in his native city.  In August, 1876, he came to Colorado without capital, and locating at Golden, serve one year as ticket agent in the office of the Colorado Central Railroad.  The next three years he passed as deputy county clerk there, two years as an appointee of a Democratic clerk, although he was a Republican.  In 1881 the excitement over the rich discoveries of gold at the Mountain of the Holy Cross, in Gold Park, led him thither, and for a year he was bookkeeper for the transportation company at that place.  In 1882 he moved to Redcliff, and in the fall of 1883 he was elected the first county clerk and recorder of Eagle county as the candidate of the Republican party.  At the end of his tenure of this office, which lasted six years, he engaged in mining on Battle mountain, working for others and leasing properties for himself, and also served as manager of the Ben Butler mines owned by F. A. Reynolds near Canyon City.  In March, 1890, he closed out his interests in Eagle county and went prospecting in British Columbia, but without success.  Returning to this country, he put in one year as assistant paymaster for the Anaconda Mining Company, at Butte, Montana, then nearly two as bookkeeper for Doll Brothers in the Gypsum valley, Colorado.  In 1902 he was appointed deputy treasurer of Fremont county, this state, and served two years.  At the end of that time he became register of the United States land office at Glenwood Springs, and this office he is still holding.  In his wandering through the Rocky mountain region and Canada he suffered many hardships and reverses, but on the whole his success has been very good, and he is one of the substantial citizens of the section.  His interest in the numerous fraternal orders is shown by his active and zealous membership in two of the most prominent of them, the order of Elks and that of Freemasonry, in the latter of which he is of the Royal Arch degree.  On December 6, 1876, he united in marriage with Miss Emily W. Scanland, a native of Pittsfield, Illinois, who died in 1903, leaving one child, James F.  Mr. Squire is a man of high character, great energy and unusual ability.  In all the relations of public and private life he has exemplified the commanding attributes of the best American citizenship, and is well worthy of the elevated place he occupies in public estimation.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Anna Parks)


DR. W. T. STEPHENSON-- was born in St. Louis, November 18, 1851. He moved from that city to Linneus {Linn Co}, Missouri, with his parents when but eight years old. He attended the public schools of that city, graduating from the high school, then took a course of lectures in medicine. After practicing at Browning, Missouri, for a few years, he entered the St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons, graduating from that institution in 1892. Immediately after receiving his degree he went to Milan, Missouri, where he practiced his profession until 1896, then moved to Kirksville. While in Browning he served as postmaster of that city for four years under President Cleveland. He was also president for the local Pension Board at Milan, Missouri, 1893 to 1896. From 1903 to 1905 he was the owner of the Kirksville Democrat. Upon coming to Kirksville he gave up his active practice of medicine and went into the drug business, in which he is still engaged. He recently moved into the new Miller building, and has what is regarded as one of the most up-to-date drug stores in North Missouri. Associated with him in business is his son, D.I. Stephenson, a registered *Pharmaceutist. Soon after the close of the Spanish War, a handsome sword, costing $200.00, was presented to Captain Arthur P Willard, by the State of Missouri, in honor of his planting the first American flag on Cuban soil. Dr. Stephenson was chairman of the committee appointed by Governor Dockery to make this presentation. The other members of the committee were Sam Pickler and Dr. Warren Hamilton. Dr. Stephenson is a staunch Democrat and takes an active part in politics. For several years he has been secretary of the County Committee.
["The History of Adair County Missouri" by E.M. Violette (1911) Submitted by Desiree Rodcay]



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.