Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" S "

Rev. Wilbert C. ShuppRev. Wilbert C. Shupp, largely devoting his life to the temperance cause and head of the Anti-Saloon League in Missouri; was born in Bucyrus, Ohio, November 16, 1867, his parents being Elias and Christiann (Zimmerman) Shupp, who were farming people of the Buckeye state. They had a family of seven children, of whom four daughters died in infancy, the others being: Ida, who became the wife of J. W. Cook and is deceased; Wilbert C; and Edward.
Wilbert C. Shupp attended the public schools near Bucyrus and in 1899 completed a language course in a theological seminary. For nine years he engaged in preaching the gospel, occupying several pulpits in Ohio, and in 1909 he came to Missouri, settling at Springfield, where he became district superintendent of the Missouri Anti-Saloon League, residing there until 1913 and then removed to St. Louis. Always a stalwart champion of the prohibition cause he became a most active worker in support of the dry issues and since 1908, has devoted practically his entire time to this work. He became state superintendent of the Anti-Saloon League of Missouri in 1913 and is one of the best known temperance workers of the country. The purpose of the Anti-Saloon League is the overthrow of the liquor traffic and this necessitates large political activity. Under the leadership of the Anti-Saloon League the state of Missouri has largely changed from a wet regime to a dry one and politics have been largely divorced from the saloon element. The work of the Anti-Saloon League is conducted solely by religious bodies and Mr. Shupp has succeeded in enlisting the entire body of evangelical religious organizations in the state in the work of eradicating the saloons. He speaks constantly in the interests of temperance reform, occupying the pulpits of the largest churches. of all denominations, and is a very earnest and effective speaker. Moreover, he not only presents his cause with clearness, force and logic, but possesses that executive ability which has enabled him wisely to select leaders as his assistants in the work. Now that the prohibition amendment has gone into effect the Anti-Saloon League is directing its efforts not only to the enforcement of the law, but also to securing the election of such men as will not attempt its repeat. The temperance forces recognize that their work is by no means over, that the wets are determined if possible to secure legislation that will do away with the prohibition amendment. The Anti-Saloon League is proceeding with its usual energy to support candidates for Congress and the Legislature who will support the program for a dry America, and officials who will maintain in force what has already been accomplished through legislative enactment.
One of the strong elements in the work of Mr. Shupp and his associates is that they are looking ahead to meet not only the problems of the moment but the exigencies of the future. They are also cooperating in the great work to extend prohibition into other lands and Mr. Shupp is at all times thoroughly conversant with the temperance situation throughout not only this country but foreign lands as well.
On the 28th of December, 1892, was celebrated the marriage of Wilbert G. Shupp and Anna May McCracken, who is of Scotch-Irish descent. Three generations ago the McCracken family was founded in America by ancestors who came from Scotland and who were among the direct descendants of Mary, Queen of Scots. To Mr. and Mrs. Shupp have been born nine children, of whom eight are living, Ralph Talmage having died at the age of two and a half years. The others are Bessie, Howard, Raymond, Homer, Helen, Glenna, Lucile and Wilma. All of the family have been active supporters of war measures and the daughter Bessie has been a most earnest Red Cross worker. The religious faith of the family is that of the Presbyterian church, their local membership being in the King's Highway Presbyterian church.
Mr. Shupp is identified with the Chamber of Commerce of St. Louis and his political support is given the democratic party. When leisure permits, he enjoys going back to nature for his rest and recreation and is more or less interested in agricultural pursuits, having been reared on a farm. Through the war period he did everything possible to assist in raising funds through the sale of Liberty Bonds and in every possible way advancing the interests of the country and, moreover, instructed those who work under him in connection with the Anti-Saloon League to put forth their efforts in the same direction. He had three sons as well as a daughter actively engaged in war service, Raymond being a radio operator in the Navy, stationed at Plymouth, England, connected with the work of determining the U-boat activities, while Homer was a member of the Students Army Training Corps and Howard was at Camp Funston. The daughter Bessie, Joining the Red Cross, was in the department of hospital canteen service at St. Louis, where the soldiers passing through the city were received and their needs met.
Such in brief is the history of Rev. Wilbert C. Shupp, but who can measure the extent of his influence and his labors? Regarding intemperance as one of the greatest evils of the country, the producer of crime, the handicap of industrial and economic interests as well as a blight on thousands of homes, he has sought to introduce higher standards through the instruction of the individual and through legislative enactment, upholding in his campaign work those men who have ever stood for law, order and civic righteousness. The results already achieved by the Anti-Saloon League are so tangible and beneficial that thousands have expressed their thanks to Mr. Shupp for what he is doing in this direction and from these results he and his associates have gained inspiration and encouragement for the labors which yet await them and which it is to be hoped will be crowned by the fullest success.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


H. H. Simmons, boy scout executive at St. Louis, has been identified with the movement since its introduction, and has contributed much to the development of the organisation throughout the intervening years. Mr. Simmons is of English birth. He was born January 19, 1871, and is a son of Charles and Jane (Rawlinson) Simmons, both representatives of old English families. They became the parents of thirteen children, of whom but three are living, H. H. being the third child. One brother died while in that service of the British navy. The mother passed away in 1913 while the father survived until 1914.
H. H. Simmons acquired his early education in his native country, attaining the equivalent of a high school course. He entered the British army as a boy, learning music, and served for seven years, being discharged as warrant officer. He was on duty in England, Ireland, Scotland, Malta, India and Egypt, and landed at Alexandria under Lord Charles Beresford at the bombardment of Alexandria in 1882. He also participated in the campaign of Telel-Kebir in the Sudan and Nile expedition and crossed the desert for the relief of General Gordon at Khartoum.
Mr. Simmons came to America when seventeen years of age and joined the American army winning promotion to the rank of corporal and sergeant, after which he took a competitive examination for instructor of cavalry and was assigned to Jefferson Barracks for two years. He was then transferred to the First United States Cavalry and was promoted to first sergeant and squadron sergeant major. He campaigned against the Indian chief, Geronimo, in New Mexico and Arizona and later took part in the White Bird Canyon Indian campaign in Idaho. For one year he was instructor in the White Bird Indian Agency school for boys and girls and later took a station at the Yellowstone National Park. He spent two years at Mud Geyser station in charge of the game districts of Hayden valley but with the outbreak of the Spanish-American war entered upon more active service on foreign soils.
At that time Mr. Simmons went to Cuba with the First Immunes under Lawton, and later sailed to the Philippines with the first expedition under General Otis. He campaigned northern and southern Luzon under Generals Lawton and Swan and was instrumental in bringing about the surrender of Philippine forces under General Canon, operating in northern Luzon, and aiding in the recapture of five hundred Spanish and American prisoners who had been held by the insurrectes for years. Mr. Simmons was commissioned by the president of the United States for meritorious service in the field. He also campaigned against the Moros on the Island of Mindinao under General Leonard Wood and received personal mention by General Wood for service in the field. Later he was wounded in' action against the Moros and was invalided to the United States for medical treatment which he received in the General Hospital at the Presidio in San Francisco.
After serving six years continuously in the Philippines Mr. Simmons resigned, due to disability, and the next four years were a convalescent period in his life. When the Boy Scout movement first became an absorbing topic in this country he was called upon to enlist one hundred and fifty or more boys in Chicago and take them into camp as the guests of the Miller Brothers, owners of the One Hundred and One Ranch, and to train them in all the phases of scouting, and as a result the American Boy Scout organization was launched in Chicago. Immediately after the big mass meeting and banquet in New York and the organization of the national committee of the Boy Scouts of America, the organization, then known as the American Boy Scouts was absorbed by the present organization and Mr. Simmons became the field secretary for the district of Chicago. He has served continuously with the Boy Scout Movement since its inception in this country and on the 4th of February, 1921, will have completed eight years as scout executive in St. Louis. In 1911 and 1912, following Colonel Wakefield of England, he conducted the Scout leaders training classes at Williams Bay, on Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. On the day that America severed diplomatic relations with Germany Mr. Simmons assisted in organizing the First Battalion of the First Regiment of the Home Guard of Missouri. He has been most actively and helpfully identified with the movement which is based upon the recognition of the fact that Americanization can be greatly promoted by the wise training of the youth of the land— that "the boy is father to the man." He has done most splendid work in connection with the now worldwide organization that is seeking the mental, physical and moral development of boys with a view to having them reach the highest point of efficiency, imbued at all times with the highest sense of honor and with the greatest love of country. It would be impossible to mention the extensiveness of his work but there are hundreds and hundreds of boys who bear testimony in their life to what he has accomplished through his training in the Boy Scout Movement.
On the 22d of May, 1896, Mr. Simmons was married to Miss Abigal Prosser, a representative of an old American family, and they have become parents of three children, two sons and a daughter: Walter; Edward; and Eula, the last named is now the wife of Robert Fross of Chicago.
Mr. Simmons belongs to the Chamber of Commerce and also to the St. Louis Automobile Club. He is at all times approachable, genial and kindly so that he easily wins the confidence of boys, while as a disciplinarian he commands their entire respect, and the same qualities have established him high in public regard, so that he stands today a splendid example of American manhood and chivalry
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Dr. Frederick Casimir SimonDr. Frederick Casimir Simon, who in the practice of his profession is confining his attention to the treatment of diseases of the ear, nose and throat, with offices in the Arcade building in St Louis, is a native son of the city in which he yet makes his home, his birth having occurred at the southeast corner of Sixteenth and O'Fallon streets on the 7th of January, 1875. His father, the late William Simon, was a native of Germany and came to America when a lad of fifteen years while subsequently he brought his parents to the new world. William Simon arrived in the latter part of the '40s and made his way direct to St. Louis where he resided until his death, which occurred July 12, 1914, when he had reached the age of seventy-two years. He had long engaged in the grocery trade and was very successful in his merchandising efforts. He married Rebecca Bammann, who was born in Germany and arrived in St Louis when a young maiden of eighteen years. They were married in St Louis and to them were born four children, three sons and a daughter, all of whom are living. The mother, however, passed away in this city June 15, 1912, at the age of seventy years.
Dr. Simon, the youngest of the family, was educated in public and private schools, attending the Toensfeldt's Educational Institute, after which he entered the St. Louis College of Pharmacy and was there graduated in 1896 with the Ph. G. degree. He next took up the study of medicine and completed his course in the St. Louis Medical College in 1899, being graduated with the M. D. degree. In the same ^ear he was appointed a Junior interne in the St Louis City Hospital, which position he occupied for a year and then entered upon the general practice of medicine, in which he continued for six years. On the expiration of that period he went abroad for post-graduate work in Berlin and Vienna, specializing on diseases of the ear, nose and throat Following his return to St. Louis he confined his attention to these branches of practice and has attained notable success in his chosen field. In 1917 he attended the University of Pennsylvania for post-graduate work and throughout his entire career has remained a close student of the profession, keeping in touch with the trend of modern professional thought and progress and manifesting the utmost conscientiousness in the performance of his duties. He belongs to the St. Louis Medical Society, the Medical Society City Hospital Alumni Association, the Missouri State Medical Association and the American Medical Association and is also a member of the Air Service Medical Association of the United States. He likewise has membership in the Nu Sigma Nu, a medical fraternity, and he is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, a member of the St. Louis Bar, Nose ft Throat Club and now treasurer of the St Louis Eye, Ear, Nose, Throat Infirmary, and also treasurer of the St. Louis Medical Society. He has been the secretary and also the president of the Alumni Association of the Washington University Medical School and he formerly held both offices in connection with the Medical Society of the City Hospital Alumni. He was second vice president of the St Louis Medical Association in 1920, He enjoys the high regard of his professional colleagues and contemporaries because of his close conformity to the highest standards and ethics of his chosen calling.
During the World war Dr. Simon was one of the first to volunteer his services beginning September 18, 1917, with rank of captain. His early duties were those of medical member of the examining board of the aviation section at St. Louis. Later he was sent to Mineola, Long Island, New York for special research work in the aviation section. In June, 1918, he was sent to Hampton, Virginia, for duty as flight surgeon of Langley Field, being the first flight surgeon this flying field ever had. His duty as flight surgeon was to keep the flier mentally and physically fit for flying duty. This necessitated frequent and regular flights in order to study the various conditions the aviator had to undergo while doing stunt work and altitude flying. In the fall of 1918 he was flight surgeon at Carlstrom Field, Arcadia, Florida, where he continued until the termination of his service, January 13, 1919. At the present time he is major in the Medical Reserve Corps.
On the 24th of May, 1918, in St Louis, Dr. Simon was married to Miss Clara Sorber, a native of St Louis and a daughter of Mrs. Augusta Sorber and the late Carl Sorber, representatives of one of the old families of this city. To Dr. and Mrs. Simon has been born a daughter, Rebecca Andrew, whose birth occurred in St. Louis, September 5, 1919. The family residence is at No. 3523 University street. Dr. Simon is well known in Masonic circles belonging to Tuscan Lodge, No. 360, A. F. ft A. M. He has attained the thirty-second degree in the Scottish Rite, belonging to Missouri Consistory, and he is also identified with Moolah Temple of the Mystic Shrine and the Alhambra Grotto. He is likewise a member of Lloyd B. Boutwell Poet, No. 136, of the American Legion. He belongs to the Missouri Athletic Association and in politics maintains an independent course, supporting those measures that he deems of advantage to the city and country. All interests, however, are made subservient to his devotion to his profession and as the years have passed he has built up an extensive practice. At the present time he is serving on the staff of the St. Louis City Hospital, the Deaconess Hospital and St. Anthony Hospital as oto-rhino-laryngologist and is instructor on diseases of the ear, nose and throat in the St. Louis University. Thus he performs additional duties to his private practice, which is extensive and of an important character, his patients including many of the most prominent and influential residents of St. Louis.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Frederick M. Simon, a representative of the younger generation connected with the financial interests of St. Louis, is a member of the firm of I. M. Simon & Company, bankers and brokers with offices in the Security building. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, February 24, 1886, and is a son of Israel M. and Alice K. Simon.
Frederick M. Simon, the second of the family, was educated under private tutors and in the Milton Academy of Massachusetts before entering Harvard University from which he was graduated in 1909 <with the Bachelor of Arts degree, specializing in political economy. He then entered the stock and bond business with the firm of Simon, Brookmire & Clifford and maintained that association until 1915 when the firm of I. M. Simon ft Company became successors to the former business organisation. The present firm has memberships on both the New York and St. Louis Stock Exchanges.
Politically Frederick M. Simon is a republican and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day but- is not ambitious to hold office. He belongs to the Sunset Hill, Columbian, Westwood and Harvard Clubs and is well known socially in the city, while in financial circles he has made a most creditable name and place.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Israel M. Simon, banker and broker of St. Louis, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, May 3, 1849, a son of Mark and Lottie (Thurnauer) Simon. He obtained a public school education in Cincinnati and was graduated from the Woodward high school. He attended the Harvard Law School from which he was graduated in 1871 with the LL. B. degree and entered upon law practice in Cincinnati as a member of the firm of Christy, Wright ft Simon. In 1880 he organized the brokerage firm of Simon & Huseman which later became I. M. Simon ft Company. Under this business association he engaged in the banking and brokerage business and in 1887 organized the Equitable National Bank of Cincinnati, of which he became a director.
Mr. Simon dates his residence in St. Louis from 1900 and here succeeded to the business of Kohn ft Company, bankers and brokers, which in 1906 was succeeded by the firm of Simon, Brookmire ft Clifford and was thus associated until the organization of the firm of I. M. Simon ft Company in 1915. He has been a member of the New York Stock Exchange since 1892.
On the 15th of June, 1880, Mr. Simon was married to Miss Alice Kohn of St. Louis. Mr. Simon is a member of several clubs and is prominent socially.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


SMITH, WILLIAM, naval officer, was born Jan. 9, 1803, in Washington, Ky. He entered the United States navy as a midshipman in 1823; served in Commodore David Porter's squadron against the West Indian pirates; and became lieutenant in 1831. During the civil war he was in the frigate Congress when she was sunk by the Merrimac; became commodore in 1862; and was subsequently in command of the Pensacola naval station till 1865, when he was retired. He died May 1, 1873, in St. Louis, Mo.
[Herringshaw's Encyclopedia Of American Biography Of The Nineteenth Century: Accurate And Succinct Biographies Of Famous Men And Women In All Walks Of Life Who Are Or Have Been The Acknowledged Leaders Of Life And Thought Of The United States Since Its Formation, 1901 – Transcribed By Therman Kellar]


While at the beginning of his business career Edwin T. Stanard entered upon connection with a business long associated with the name of Stanard, he came to the initial point in his commercial experience well trained for the duties that he was to undertake. It has been said that opportunity never presents itself to one who is not prepared for it and therefore upon individual action rests failure or success according as each opportunity is neglected or utilized. Well qualified for the work which he undertook Edwin T. Stanard has made steady progress in his chosen field of labor and is today vice president and general manager of the Stanard-Tilton Milling company, Inc., of St. Louis. A native of this city, he was born April 15, 1886, a son of William K. Stanard and a grandson of Edwin O. Stanard, at one time governor of Missouri. The father is the president of the Stanard-Tilton Milling company and one of the prominent and representative business men of the city.
Edwin T. Stanard pursued his early education in the public schools of St. Louis and in Smith Academy, while in 1900 he completed a course in the Culver Military Academy and in 1903 was graduated from Smith College with the degree of Bachelor of Science. He next entered Princeton University and spent three years in pursuing a civil engineering course, winning the C. E. degree. He was also much interested in college athletics and was a member of the football team at Princeton. He likewise studied for a time in Brown's Business College and then entered the Columbus laboratory where he pursued a course in milling technology and baking. All this was done with a view to entering upon his present business connection. When his textbooks were put aside he went to Dallas, Texas, where he managed one of the flour mills of the Stanard-Tilton company for a year. He then returned to St. Louis and became secretary of the Stanard-Tilton Milling company, Inc. Through the intervening period he has bent his energies toward constructive effort and executive control and is now the vice president and general manager of this mammoth business concern which owns mills at Alton, Illinois, with a capacity of three thousand barrels; a mill at Dallas, Texas, with a capacity of two thousand barrels daily; a warehouse and blending plant in St. Louis; elevators at Rockford and Jerseyville, Illinois; and main offices in the Pierce building in St. Louis. Mastering every phase of the business Mr. Stanard became splendidly qualified to assume directive control and under his guidance the interests of the company have been enlarged and extended..
In 1913 Mr. Stanard was married to Miss Edna Griesedieck, a daughter of Benjamin G. Griesedieck, a prominent brewer of St. Louis. They have one child, William K. (II). Mr. Stanard turns to golf for recreation. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he is well known in the club circles of St. Louis, having membership in the Missouri Athletic, Rotary, St. Louis, Country, University, Racquet, Sunset, Grain, Mills and other clubs and also in the College Club of Princeton University. He is a man of fine physique and when one enters his presence he feels the dynamic force that has made him a power in the commercial, Industrial and financial circles of his native city.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Edwin McDonald Stevens, member of the present Missouri state legislature, one of the foremost attorneys of Clayton, Missouri, and a recognised leader in the ranks of the republican party in the state, was born October 20, 1893, in the city which is still his home, his parents being Richard H. and Lulu (Suter) Stevens. The father, who passed away August 30, 1916, was born in St. Louis county, his parents being Dr. Richard Henry and Missouri Ann (Cordell) Stevens. The family is of English origin but was established in America at an early period in the development of this country. Joseph Stevens, one of the first representatives of the name on this side of the Atlantic, was the owner of over five thousand acres in Kentucky granted to him by the British government for service in the Indian wars. This tract included practically all of the present site of Louisville, Kentucky, and was deeded to him in 1752. His son, General Richard Henry Stevens, won his title by service in the Revolutionary war. His son, Louis Stevens, one of a family of thirteen children, was the first of the name to locate in Missouri, where he took up his abode in the spring of 1836. His son, Dr. Richard H. Stevens, was born in Caroline county, Virginia, in 1822, was graduated from the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia in 1844 and afterwards entered upon the practice of medicine in Missouri. At the outbreak of the Mexican war he joined the army and following the close of hostilities resuihed practice in St. Louis county. In 1846 he wedded Missouri Ann Cordell, who was born in 1830, a granddaughter of John Cordell, who came from England at an early day, and a daughter of Hiram Cordell, a soldier of the War of 1812. Both John and Hiram Cordell and their wives are buried on the old Cordell homestead. Arriving in St. Louis county in 1797 John Cordell was granted eight hundred arpents of land by the Spanish government. He was an Episcopal minister and was a chaplain in Washington's army. The land which he secured in Missouri was largely cleared and developed by his son Hiram, who was a planter and farmer, and much of this property is still in possession of the family. Hiram Cordell was an abolitionist and protected John Lovejoy, who, however, was later killed because of his abolition teachings. His only child became the wife of Dr. Richard Henry Stevens and to them were born five daughters and three sons. The father passed away in 1890 while the mother's death occurred in 1894.
Richard H. Stevens, father of Edwin McDonald Stevens, was graduated from the Missouri State University, July 4, 1876. He then pursued law studies under private instruction, was admitted to the bar in 1878 and in January of that year began practice at Mt. Olive. For many years he occupied a prominent position as a representative of the legal profession in this state. He was married October 17, 1882, to Miss Lulu B. Suter of Palmyra, Missouri, daughter of John J. and Lucy A. Suter, the former a son of Virdner Suter, who removed to Palmyra from Kentucky in 1832 and there followed farming. During the last thirty years of his life he engaged in banking, being president of the Marion County Savings Bank. Mr. and Mrs. Stevens became parents of three children: John V., a civil engineer; Richard Henry, who studied for two years at Washington University and in January, 1909, was admitted to the bar; and Edwin McDonald of this review. While the father passed away August 30, 1916, the mother is still living.
Edwin McDonald Stevens attended the public schools of Clayton and afterward the St. Louis University, winning his Doctor of Philosophy degree in 1913. He attended night classes at the University, working days as assistant cashier of the Tri City .State Bank at Madison City, Illinois. This necessitated his leaving home at five o'clock in the morning. He worked during the day and attended night classes at the University, arriving at his home about eleven p. m. The persistency of purpose which he displayed in obtaining his education promised well for a successful future. After winning his law degree he opened offices in Clayton and in the intervening seven years has built up a large clientage unequaled, perhaps, by any other attorney in the city, and on the 3d of August, 1920, at the republican primary held on that date, he was nominated for the state legislature, to which he was elected by a handsome majority in the November election following. In politics he has always been a republican, and has been very active in public affairs. He stands at all times for the most progressive measures and is constantly seeking opportunities to promote the public good.
On the 16th of September, 1916, Mr. Stevens was married to Miss Marjorie Lowensteln of New York City and to this marriage have been born twin daughters: Dorothy Elizabeth and Donna Lee. Mr. and Mrs. Stevens are well known socially and his position as a member of the bar is a most enviable one, few men of his age gaining the distinction and prestige which he enjoys as a representative of the legal profession.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Rev. John F. Stevens, pastor of SS. Peter and Paul Catholic church at the corner of Eighth street and Allen avenue in St. Louis, was born January 11, 1875, in the city which is still his home, his parents being Henry and Catherine Stevens, both of whom were natives of Germany, whence they came to the new world with their respective parents. The father, now deceased, was a carpenter by trade.
The son, John F. Stevens, was born and reared in the parish of which he now has charge. He attended the parochial school of SS. Peter and Paul church and later became a student in St. Francis Seminary at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he pursued his classical and philosophical studies. Subsequently he took up the study of theology in Kenrick Seminary of St. Louis and when he had completed his course he was too young to be ordained to the priesthood. He was then sent to Lou vain, Belgium, attending the great university there and on the 8th of September, 1897, was ordained to the priesthood, after which he returned to St. Louis and was appointed assistant to the Rev. Mgr. F. Galler, pastor of SS. Peter and Paul church.
In 1910 Mgr. Galler passed away and was succeeded by the Rev. Mgr. O. J. S. Hoog, V. G. Owing to illness the latter retired from active work in the ministry in 1913, since which time Father Stevens has been in charge of the parish which is one of the oldest in the city of St. Louis, having been founded in 1849. The parish school has an enrollment of more than eleven hundred pupils. The work of the church has been thoroughly organized in its various departments and is one of the strong moving forces among the Catholic people of the city.
Father Stevens has membership in St. Paul's Benevolent Society, also in the Western Catholic Union and is a fourth degree member of the Knights of Columbus, having been one of the founders of Lafayette Council, No. 1940, in March, 1919. This council now has a membership of two hundred and fifty. Father Stevens is a man of scholarly attainments who exerts a strong influence over the lives of those with whom he comes in contact and his labors for the church and the upbuilding of the cause are far-reaching and resultant.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


MAJOR-GENERAL FRANZ STGEL was born in Baden, Germany, in 1824, and was educated at the military school of Carlsruhe. He rose rapidly in his profession, attained the rank of chief adjutant in 1847, and became one of the best artillery officers in Germany. He participated in the revolution of 1848, and in command of an army of the Liberals, was conspicuous for skill and gallantry. He was obliged to flee at the end of the war, which terminated unfavorably for the cause in which he battled. He came to this country, and was professor in a college at St. Louis, on the outbreak of the war, teaching the military art, among other branches of instruction. His spirit was aroused. He took a leading and active part among the Germans of Missouri, and was made commander of the third volunteer regiment, which was raised in St. Louis. On the death of General Lyon, at Springfield, Sigel led back the retreat to Rolla. In the battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas, his valor was conspicuous, and, finally, he attained the rank of major-general, being, for a time, in command of the Eleventh corps, in the Army of the Potomac. He was afterward appointed to the command of the Army of Western Virginia, and was defeated by Breckinridge at New Market, in the Shenandoah valley, May 9th, 1864, after which he was sent to take charge of the post at Martinsburg.
(Source: A Complete History of the Great Rebellion of the Civil War in the U.S. 1861-1865 with Biographical sketches of the Principal actors in the Great Drama. By Dr. James Moore, Published 1875)


The Catholic clergy in St. Louis is represented by many who are native sons of the city and this number includes the Rev. B. S. A. Stolte, who is now pastor of Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic church and who was here born on the 25th of October, 1870, his parents being William and Angela (Waterloh) Stolte, both of whom were natives of Hanover, Germany, whence they came to the United States in young manhood and womanhood. They located in St. Louis, where they were subsequently married, and here the father passed away about 1877, while the mother is still a resident of this city.
The Rev. Mr. Stolte was educated in the parochial schools of St. Libory, Illinois, in which place the family was then living, and in St. Benedict's College at Atchison, Kansas, where he pursued his preparatory studies, after which he was sent to Rome, where h$ studied philosophy and theology in the American College. He was then ordained to the priesthood in St. John's Lateran church in Rome on the 30th of May, 1896, by Cardinal Parocchi. Following his ordination he returned to St. Louis and for three months was assistant at St Liborius church, after which he was transferred to Jefferson City, where he acted as assistant for two years. Subsequently he spent eight years as assistant at St. John's church in St. Louis and in 1906 was appointed pastor of St. Joseph's church in Farmington, where he labored for fifteen month, during which time he largely
built up a run-down parish.
On the expiration of that period Father Stolte was called back to St. Louis to organize Our Lady of Sorrows parish and in the intervening years he has accomplished excellent work here. He has erected a modern hall and school building, which is being used temporarily for church services, and also built the parish residence. These buildings were erected at a cost of thirty-seven thousand dollars, although they could not be duplicated at the present time for a much larger sum.
Father Stolte is a member of the Knights of Columbus, in which he has taken the fourth degree. He is also a member of Our Lady of Sorrows Benevolent Society and is keenly interested in every branch of the church work, which he has thoroughly organized, and in many activities which pertain to the welfare and progress of the city at large.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Dr. Edna M. Stone, physician and surgeon, with offices in the University Club building in St. Louis, was born January 28, 1878, in Carrollton, Illinois, of which state her father, Seranda Miller, was likewise a native, while her mother, who bore the maiden name of Martha Todd, was born in Missouri. The father was a lumber dealer, making a speciality of manufacturing walnut lumber. He would raft walnut logs down the Mississippi river to the mills to be cut into fine slabs for furniture and other domestic purposes, and continued in this business to the closing days of his life, his labors being ended in death in 1910. His widow is still living, making her home in Jerseyville, Illinois, and is quite active for one of her years. Her father was a Civil war veteran who volunteered for service in the Federal army, and is supposed to have been captured or died on the battlefield. The grandmother of Dr. Stone was Dr. Rebecca Miller, who was a physician, being the first woman admitted to the practice of medicine in southern Illinois, after which she followed the profession for a number of years in Greene county. After the death of Dr. Stone's father in 1904 her mother married again, becoming the wife of George Freeman of Illinois, and of this marriage were born six children, of whom only two sons are now living.
Dr. Stone was educated in the public schools of Illinois and determined to follow the profession in which her grandmother had become a pioneer representative. Accordingly she pursued a medical course in the Barnes College of Medicine in St. Louis and was graduated with the M. D. degree with the class of 1908. In her early professional career she was connected with the Ellen Osborn Hospital of St. Louis as a teacher in the nurses training department, and while thus engaged she also had wide surgical and obstetrical experience, thus qualifying in large measures for surgical work. Later she became clinical obstetrician for the American Hospital at Thirty-fourth and Pine streets, occupying that position through the greater part of the years 1911 and 1912. She was afterward associated with Dr. Willis Young in surgery, administering, the anesthetic. She opened her present office in the University building in July, 1918, soon after the completion of the building which is in the very heart of the city, being located at No. 607 North Grand avenue and now occupied almost entirely by physicians. Dr. Stone has been engaged in the practice of medicine in St. Louis continuously from the day of her graduation from the Barnes Medical College, and is well known professionally here. She makes her home at the Biltmore Hotel and gives the major part of her time and attention to her professional work which is constantly growing in volume and importance.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


T. E. SUBLETTE was born in St. Louis County, Missouri, being a son of Peter Jackson and Sarah (Russell) Sublette. He was married April 25, 1893 to Kate Florence Funk, daughter of William and Sarah Funk. They have four children: Sarah Agnes, born March 09, 1896; Florence Maud, May 25, 1897; Eleanor Louise, March 17, 1901; Mary, January 14, 1905. Mr. Sublette has been editor and publisher of the Weekly Graphic since June 22, 1883. He was educated in the common schools and the First District Normal School, at Kirksville, being a graduate of the last named institution. He also took a post-graduate course at the Normal School. He is a Republican, a member of the Christian church, and belongs to the Masonic Order.
[Source: "A History of Adair County Missouri" by E.M. Violette (1911). Submitted By Desiree Rodcay]


Thomas J. SweazeaThomas J. Sweazea, of St. Louis, was born on his father's farm in Reynolds county, Missouri, October 14, 187T). He is a grandson of William Sweazea, a native of Tennessee, who removed to Missouri in 1808, becoming one of the pioneer settlers of the state. He located near the Black river, where he entered and purchased a large and fertile tract of land, which he tilled and developed and on which he made his home until his death in 1850. His son, William Sweazea, born in Missouri in 1832, was reared in Wayne county, where he started in the business world as a farmer, cultivating first a small tract of land on the Black river. In 1866 he removed to Reynolds county, where he purchased other land and thereon spent his remaining days in the cultivation and improvement of his farm, which he developed into a valuable and productive property that was devoted to the raising of grain and live stock. Thereon he died in 1901 and in his death the community lost one of its substantial and highly respected citizens. He married Amanda Mann, of Reynolds county, who was born in 183$, a daughter of George Mann, a native of South Carolina, who in early life removed westward, establishing his home in the Black river district of Missouri. His daughter, Mrs. Sweazea, passed away in 1880, at the age of forty-eight years. Both Mr. and Mrs. William Sweazea were devout and consistent members of the Baptist church and in' that faith they reared their family. They were parents of the following named: William A., a resident of Wayne county; Sophronia, the wife of Robert Benson, of Alabama; and Margaret, the wife of M. L. Sanders, of Leeper, Missouri.
The other member of the family is Thomas J. Sweazea, whose name introduces this review. He lived upon his father's farm in his boyhood days and attended the public schools until he reached the age of twenty, when he entered Carleton College at Farmington, Missouri, there remaining as a student until 1893. He then took up the profession of teaching, which he followed successfully, imparting readily and clearly to others the knowledge that he had acquired. In 1896 he was elected county commissioner for a term of two years and in 1902 was elected county clerk of Reynolds county by a large majority in which position he served one term. Still higher political honors awaited him, for in 1907 he was chosen by popular suffrage as representative of Reynolds county in the forty-fourth general assembly, and his wise counsel on legislative and public matters is still a matter of comment. He carefully considered all the vital questions which came up for settlement and lent the weight of his aid and influence to further progressive legislation. At the close of his service as a member of the assembly he removed to Salem and studied law until admitted to the bar in 1909. He then removed to Piedmont, where he opened a law office and entered upon active practice. While there residing he filled the position of secretary and member of the Piedmont school board and rendered valuable service in developing and improving the school system of that place. He is still the owner of land in the vicinity of Piedmont.
On the 6th of June, 1896, Mr. Sweazea was married to Miss Ella Malloy, a daughter of John and Mary (Warren) Malloy, of Wayne county. Their children are: Doyle J., who is employed by the Frisco Railroad Company; Pearl, who was graduated from the Central high school in 1918 and who is now taking private vocal lessons; Ava, who was graduated from the McKinley high school in January, 1920, and from the Perry School of Oratory in June, 1920, and is now a student in the art department of Washington University; and Opal T., who is a student in the McKinley high school and is also studying music. The religious faith of the family is that of the Baptist church and in political belief Mr. Sweazea is a democrat. He is a representative of pioneer families in both the paternal and maternal lines— families long connected with the development of the state. He came to St. Louis in April, 1912, and since that time has been engaged in the practice of law and in the real estate business. He has made for himself a creditable position in both business and professional circles.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.