Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" T "

Charles M. Talbert, a capable public official serving as director of streets and sewers, and as such as a member of the board of public service of St. Louis, manifesting at all times a public-spirited devotion to the general good, was born in Shelby county, Indiana, September 27, 1870. His father, William Talbert, was also a native of that state and was of French Huguenot and Scotch descent. In 1875 he removed to Barry county, Missouri, where he resided to the time of his death in 1895. For many years he successfully conducted business as a merchant. During the Civil war he served as a member of Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-second Indiana Infantry, participating in the fighting in Alabama and other districts of the south. He was a stanch republican and for a number of years was chairman of the republican county central committee of Barry county. At the time of his death, which occurred when he was fifty-one years of age, he was serving as county recorder of deeds. He also served as postmaster at Cassville, the county seat of Barry county, during President Harrison's administration. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Amanda Carter, was also born in Indiana and passed away in 1878, at the age of thirty years. Their family numbered three daughters and a son.
The latter, Charles M. Talbert, who was the second in order of birth, was educated in the public schools of southwestern Missouri and in the State University, which he attended from 1891 until 1893. As a youth in the country his life was not unlike that of other country boys. He clerked in a country store, taught school and, was variously employed. After leaving college he entered the government service, surveying on the Missouri river, and later he was connected with a city engineering company for a year. He was next with the Mississippi river commission in general survey and improvement work until 1903, when he became connected with the Louisiana Purchase Exposition as construction engineer on the Cascades and when the fair opened he was made superintendent of buildings and exhibits in the liberal arts department under Colonel John A. Ockerson, thus continuing until the close of the exposition, when he became associated with the city government under A. J. O'Reilly, then president of the board of public improvements. He acted as assistant to the president and was later appointed street commissioner by Hon. Frederick Kreismann, then mayor of St. Louis. Later he was appointed to his present position by Mayor Kiel and was reap-pointed during the mayor's second term. As a member of the board of public service he has been found thoroughly capable, impressing one as a man of great ability and thoroughness in his work. He has a broad knowledge of the needs of the city and the ljest methods of working out the solution of its problems with regard to streets and sewers as well as to the traffic of the city. He is quick to perceive and analyze, ready to act and very efficient, having a remarkable capacity for execution.
On the 12th of April, 1899, Mr. Talbert was married to Miss Mary Davitt, of St. Louis, a daughter of John and Wilhelmina Davitt Her father was a lumber merchant who furnished most of the lumber used in steamboat construction in early days. Mr. and Mrs. Talbert have one son, William R., who was born in St. Louis, December 26, 1899.
During his college days Mr. Talbert was a member of the Missouri National Guard. When this country was a participant in the World war he took an active part in all interests to uphold the government and promote the welfare of the army. He served as a director of municipal cooperation, publicity division of the eighth federal reserve district, was for four years chairman of the public safety section of the National Safety Council and served on the legal advisory board. He was a member of the executive committee of the Liberty Loan and of the Red Cross executive committee. He was given an honor certificate and awarded a silver service belt buckle appropriately engraved for his part in the publicity for the fourth Liberty Loan and also a Red Cross service button was awarded him for the splendid work he did in behalf of the organization. Many letters of commendation and appreciation were received m by him from many men high in the offices of the various war organizations on the boards of which he served. He has taken a leading part in the movement to create a national standard traffic code and his service along this line has been recognized by his selection as chairman of the first national conference which was held in Washington, D. C, in January, 1921. In politics he is an earnest republican and has been quite active in support of the party. Fraternally he is connected with Tuscan Lodge, No. 360, A. P. & A. M., has also taken the degrees of the chapter, of the Scottish Rite, of the Grotto and the Mystic Shrine. He is a prominent figure in a number of the leading clubs of the city, belonging to the Midland Valley Country "Club, Century Club, Riverview Club and the Missouri Athletic Association, while along the line of his profession he is connected with the Engineers Club of St. Louis and is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Edgar Lackland Taylor is the vice president and one of the directors of the Boatmen's Bank of St. Louis and has risen to his present position of prominence in financial circles through indefatigable energy and close application, for he entered the bank in a minor clerkship from which point he has advanced until he occupies the second executive office in the institution. A native son of St. Louis, he was born on the 30th of August, 1870, his father being Theodore T. Taylor, a native of Bucks county, Pennsylvania, and a representative of one of the old families of that state, his lineage being traced back to John Taylor, a native of England, who became the founder of the family in America in 1698 and settled in Bucks county. Following his graduation from the University of Pennsylvania, Theodore T. Taylor removed westward to Missouri in 1869, settling at Springfield. He was a civil engineer and removed to the west to become one of the builders of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. At the outbreak of the Civil war he entered the Confederate army at Springfield as a private and at the close of hostilities was serving as captain ton the staff of General Magruder, from whom he received the following letter:

To Capt T. T. Taylor,
Captain:
The time having arrived when we must part, I avail myself of the occasion to tender to you my thanks for the many services you have rendered me, not only as a staff officer when I was in command, but also as a friend, when I ceased to possess power.
You have served with gallantry, ability and devotion to the last, and in retiring to private life, you bear with you my best wishes for your success and happiness.
Believe me, Captain,                                 Your obedient servant,
                                                      J. Bankhead Magruder.
Monterey, Mexico, July 5th, 1865.
When the war was over he was obliged to leave the United States, together with Governor Marmaduke and Senator Vest. They went to Mexico and remained in that country until things had quieted down, after which Mr. Taylor returned to Missouri, taking up his abode in St. Louis. Here he entered the employ of John McCune ft Company, pioneer coal merchants, who operated the first tug on the Mississippi river in 1868. Mr. Taylor was united in marriage to Miss Frances Lackland, a daughter of Rufus J. Lackland, who at that time and for many years was president of the Boatmen's Bank. Following his marriage Mr. Taylor again took up the business of contracting which he followed successfully until his death, which occurred at St. Louis in 1896 when he was sixty-six years of age. He was a stanch democrat and was very active in political affairs and in the promotion of civic interests. His wife survived him for a decade, passing away in St. Louis in 1906, at the age of sixty-six years. She had a family of three sons and a daughter: Rufus L., a resident of St. Louis; Edgar L.; Mary Susanna; and William B., all living in St. Louis.
Reared in his native city Edgar L. Taylor attended the old Central high school and when twenty years of age made his initial step in the business world in a humble clerkship in the Boatmen's Bank. Applying himself with thoroughness he mastered every task assigned him and his developing powers fitted him for larger responsibilities and more onerous duties. Thus gradually he was advanced until he is now bending his efforts to executive control and administration as vice president and one of the directors of the bank.
In St. Louis, on the 20th of January, 1902, Mr. Taylor was married to Miss Mary Carr, a daughter of the late Charles Bent and Louise (Atchison) Carr, the latter a direct descendant of Laclede and the Chouteau and Papin families of St Louis. To Mr. and Mrs. Taylor have been born three children: Marie, Dorcas Carr, and Edgar, Jr.
In his political views Mr. Taylor is a democat, having stanchly supported the party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. During the World war he served as a member of the Home Guard. Fraternally he is connected with Tuscan Lodge, No. 360, A. F. ft A. M., and the nature of his interests is further indicated in the fact that he holds membership in the Bellerive Club and in the Episcopal church. He has ever made quick response to the call of opportunity and is possessed of the progressive spirit of the age, which never stops short of the achievement of a purpose.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Owen D. Tillay, a representative of municipal interests in St. Louis, being secretary of the department of public utilities, with office in the City Hall, was born February 2, 1880, in the city which is still his home, and is a son of John T. and Margaret Anna (Owen) Tillay, the former a native of Louisville, Kentucky, and the latter of Remsen, New York. The Tillay family has long been represented in Kentucky and at an early period the Owen family was established in the Empire state, being of Welsh descent. The great-grandfather in the Owen line was the founder of the American branch of the family. John T. Tillay was reared and educated in Louisville, Kentucky, and about 1850 came to St. Louis, where he spent the remainder of his days, the family occupying a prominent place in the social circles of the city. Mr. Tillay was a successful coal dealer, conducting business along that line until his death in 1901. His widow survives and is yet a resident of St. Louis.
Owen D. Tillay is the only living one of their four children, three sons and a daughter. After attending Smith Academy to the age of sixteen years he started out to earn his own livelihood and secured a clerical position with the Travelers Protective Association. Later he became chief clerk for the company at national headquarters where he remained until 1909, serving altogether for about thirteen years. During the succeeding two years he filled the office of assistant clerk of the house of delegates, to which position he had been elected, and in 1911 was appointed chief clerk of the lighting department, and in 1908 was appointed secretary of the department of public utilities. He has good business qualifications, is always on the alert and is rendering excellent service in his present position.
During the war Mr. Tillay aided largely in the sale of Liberty bonds and as far as possible promoted war activities. In politics he is a republican and has been a most loyal supporter of and worker for the party during the past nineteen years. Fraternally he is connected with the Royal League and is well known in club circles as a member of the City Club and the Forest Park Golf Club. In religious faith he is an Episcopalian, having membership in the Church of the Ascension.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


For twenty-three years J. Howard Tompkins has been connected with the paper trade and throughout the entire period has been associated with one firm. His operations are now carried on as the vice president of the Mississippi Valley Paper Company of St. Louis and he has here been largely instrumental in the building up of a very substantial business. He was born in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, December 4, 1875, and is a son of Ira Gale and Demaris (Ide) Tompkins, the former a native of New York while the latter was born in Vermont, the marriage, however, being celebrated in the Empire state.
J. Howard Tompkins obtained a public school education in Chicago and also attended the Lake Forest University, at Lake Forest, Illinois, Just outside of Chicago. He started out in the business world in 1897 as an employe of the J. W. Butler Paper Company of Chicago and held several positions with the parent company in that city, gaining steadily, a more comprehensive knowledge of the trade until now he is the vice president of the Mississippi Valley Paper Company of St. Louis which is a subsiduary company of the Chicago house with which he started upon his business career. There is today no phase of the paper trade with which Mr. Tompkins is not thoroughly familiar and his progressiveness and his enterprise have been dominant factors in the extension of the trade through the St. Louis territory.
In Chicago, in June, 1905, Mr. Tompkins was married to Miss Lorena, who passed away in 1911. He belongs to the Christian Science church, is a member of the Algonquin Club, the Missouri Athletic Association, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the St. Louis Art League, the Chamber of Commerce and the National Paper Trade Association. These various membership relations indicate the trend of his interests and activities and, moreover, he is identified with the Masonic fraternity, having membership in Tuscan Lodge, A. F. & A. M.; St. Louis Chapter, R. A. M.; and Ascalon Commandery, K. T. His political allegiance is given to the republican party which receives his stalwart support although he has never been an aspirant for office. The firm with which he has so long been connected has claimed his undivided allegiance and he has made for himself a creditable name and position in the business world.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Henry G. Trieseler, lawyer, actively practicing at the bar of St. Louis, was born in said city October 17, 1878. He was the oldest son of the late Henry Trieseler and Charlotte Trieseler whose maiden name was Charlotte Luth. Henry Trieseler, the father, was for a long period of time successfully engaged in the wholesale pork packing and provision business and operated a slaughter house for the purpose of killing hogs in connection therewith. Charlotte Trieseler was a daughter of Louis Luth who settled in St. Louis in 1834 and who was a successful contractor, builder and investor in real estate. Louis Luth served as a soldier in the Mexican war and also as a soldier in the Union army of the Civil war. During his early residence in St. Louis he lived at times outside of the limits of the city and at one time kept the toll-house on the old Gravois road in connection with his other business and became intimately acquainted with many persons passing through the southwest gateway from St. Louis.
Henry G. Trieseler was educated in the public schools of St. Louis and was compelled to abandon his education while in the second year of the old St. Louis high school on account of the death of his mother. He set out to seek his own livelihood and procured employment in the old Fourth National Bank and while working > for this institution qualified himself for admission to the law department of Washington University. He entered Washington University in 1901 and was graduated therefrom in June, 1903, receiving his LL.B. degree. Immediately following his graduation he entered into the active practice of his profession in St. Louis and has extended his practice to include all of the courts of Missouri and Illinois and the federal courts of the United States. During the time he has devoted to the practice of his profession he has been connected with many cases of a civil character of great importance and litigation affecting the rights and welfare of the people of his native city.
At the outbreak of the Spanish-American war Henry G. Trieseler answered the call for volunteers and enlisted for military service. He served honorably and with distinction throughout the war and for some time thereafter. At the general election in November, 1908, Mr. Trieseler was elected a member of the general assembly of the state of Missouri from the second representative district in the city of St. Louis and while serving in the session of the forty-fifth general assembly he was selected for membership on the following important committees, to-wit: Judiciary, elections, public health, railroads and revision of the laws of Missouri. He was also a member of various important special committees throughout the session of the legislature. He devoted a great deal of his time after the session adjourned to the work of revising the statutes of his state.
Mr. Trieseler has held no other public office and has been an independent republican in his politics at all times. He has served as attorney for the Board of Pharmacy and has served as a special attorney for the State Board of Health. During the World war he served the .United States first as a member of the Board of Registration under the selective service law and he became chairman of the local board for division No. 8 of the city of St. Louis from the time it was organized until the board passed out of existence. During the twenty-two months of service he devoted his entire time to the duties in connection with the enforcement of the selective service law in his jurisdiction with practically no compensation for his services. He was also a member of the executive committee of the Associated Local Boards of St. Louis organized for the purpose of handling registrations under the selective service law in the city of St. Louis.
Mr. Trieseler was married December 24, 1908, to Miss Emma P. Putting, a native of St. Louis and a daughter of Francis Henry and Lena Caroline Putting (Paschedag), both of whom, are residents of the city of St. Louis. Two children were born of the marriage, to-wit: Leona Charlotte, born in 1909 and Henrietta Elleanore, born in 1916.
Mr. Trieseler and all members of his family are active members of the Evangelical Lutheran church and have taken an active part in church work and an active interest in various orphan homes and the Old Folks' Home of their religious denomination. Mr. Trieseler has freely contributed his services, time and money to projects concerning the welfare of the city and its inhabitants although he does not aspire to public office. He stands high in his profession and enjoys the utmost confidence and respect of all persons with whom he comes into contact everywhere.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


William Troll, serving as chief deputy of the sprinkling department of St. Louis in which city he was born December 10, 1868, is a son of the late Henry Troll, who was a native of Germany but came to America with his parents in 1847, when but eleven years of age. He was born November 26, 1835, at Edenkoben, Rheinpfalz, Bavaria, a son of Jacob and Margueritta (Weisgerber) Troll. After coming to the new world he continued his education in the public schools of St. Louis and in young manhood learned the cooper's trade. During the Civil war he manifested his loyalty to his adopted country by early enlisting in defense of the Union cause. He served through the three months' term as a member of the Fourth Regiment of Missouri Infantry and then reenlisted at the call for three years' men, going into the field with the Second Regiment of Missouri Light Artillery. He was promoted to a first lieutenancy in 1863 and served with that rank until mustered out in October, 1864, returning to his home with a most creditable military record by reason of the valor and loyalty which he had displayed upon southern battlefields, having participated in many of the most hotly contested engagements of the war. Following his return to St. Louis he was frequently called upon for public service of an important character. In 1868 he was made a member of the board of trustees having in charge the Mullanphy Emigrant Relief Fund and for four years filled that position. In 1887 he was elected a member of the board of education of St. Louis and for seven years so served, taking most active and helpful part in advancing the interests of the public schools. In 1894 he was elected sheriff of the city and in 1896 was reelected to that position, serving most capably, his duties being discharged without fear or favor. He was a stalwart advocate of republican principles, doing everything in his power to promote the growth and success of the party, and through an extended period was a leading figure in political circles and in connection with civic affairs in St. Louis. At the time of his death he was clerk of the circuit court, having served for three years and three months in that position when his life's labors were ended on the 1st of March, 1903, at the age of sixty-seven years. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Mary Fisher, was a native of Missouri and was a representative of one of the old families of the state. To Mr. and Mrs. Henry Troll were born seven sons and two daughters, of whom William was the fourth son. The mother departed this life in 1873.
William Troll was educated in the public schools of St. Louis and in the Jones Commercial College, thus qualifying for life's practical and responsible duties. When sixteen years of age he was apprenticed to learn the machinist's trade, which he afterward followed as a Journeyman for five years. Later he was appointed city Jailer by Mayor Frederick Kreismann and filled the position for four years. In September, 1916, he was appointed to his present position—that of chief deputy in the sprinkling department of the city government—and has continuously and ably discharged the duties of the office since that time/ From 1907 until 1911 he was clerk in the office of Justice of the peace in the second district and at all times has discharged his duties with a sense of conscientious obligation that has made his record as a citizen and an official a most commendable one. Like his father he has always been a stanch republican in politics and for the past fourteen years has served as republican committeeman from the ninth ward.
On the 21st of December, 1901, Mr. Troll was married in St. Louis to Miss Emma Bieber, a native of this city and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Pius Bieber. They have become parents of eight children: Edna, Myrtle, Elvia, Lawrence, Harry, William, Charles and Melvin, all born in St. Louis.
Fraternally Mr. Troll is connected with the Woodmen of the World, belonging to Magnolia Camp. He is also a member of the Jolly Time Fishing Club, which indicates something of the nature of his recreation when his official duties permit of leisure and diversion. The name of Troll has long figured prominently in connection with official service in St. Louis and has ever been a synonym for fidelity and capability.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)


Wilbur Tyson Trueblood, a St. Louis architect of high professional standing, was born January 4, 1874, in the city which is still his home.
His father, E. T. Trueblood, was born in Indiana and is of English descent. For many years he served as statistician for the Kennard Carpet Company of St. Louis, Missouri, but is now living retired from business life. During the Civil war he served as a soldier of the Union army and is now a member of a Grand Army post, thus maintaining pleasant relations with his old military comrades. In days of peace he has been as true and loyal to the interests of his country as when he followed the nation's starry banner on the battle fields of the south. He wedded Mary Cooper, a daughter of William Cooper and a representative of one of the old American families. By this marriage there were born two sons and three daughters: Marx Ada; Stella; Elizabeth, the deceased wife of Charles W. Thatcher, president of the Thatcher-Kerwin Glass Company of St. Louis; Wilbur T., of this review; and Alva C, who is an attorney of the firm of Wilson & Trueblood, with offices in the Federal Reserve Bank building in St. Louis, and who married Leona Wahlert.
Wilbur T. Trueblood was educated in the public schools and in the Manual Training School of St. Louis, being graduated from the latter in June, 1892. He then entered the office of Isaac S. Taylor, a well known architect, with whom he remained until 1896, during which time he was studying the various phases of the business and thus constantly promoting his skill and efficiency. In 1900 he attended Columbia University in New York for a year, making a special study of architecture. The years from 1901 to 1905 he spent in the offices of architects, McKim, Mead, and White, of New York, and Mauran, Russell & Garden and William B. Ittner, of St. Louis. Prom 1905 until 1908 he engaged in the practice of his profession independently during which period, for two years, he acted as instructor in architecture in Washington University of St. Louis. In 1908 he went abroad to study architecture, entering the atelier of M. Duquesne in Paris, France, a connection of the Ecole des Beaux Arts. During his stay in Europe, which covered a year, he traveled through Spain, England and Italy, studying the architecture of these various countries in addition to his work in Paris. Upon his return to St. Louis he again became instructor in architecture in Washington University, continuing his educational work there from 1909 until 1911. In the latter year he resumed business on his own account and was thus engaged until 1915 when he formed a partnership with Theodore C. Link, a connection that has since been maintained under the firm name of Link & Trueblood. They engage in the general practice of architecture and have a large clientele.
Mr. Trueblood has acquainted himself with the highest architectural standards and designs of Europe and in the practice of his profession has shown initiative and originality in meeting the demands of present-day life and business conditions. During the World war he had charge of construction work f6r the Red Cross in the Southwestern Division.
On the 4th of November, 1913, in St. Louis, Mr. Trueblood was married to Miss Kate G. Lee, a daughter of James W. Lee, now deceased, who was chaplain of the Barnes Hospital and for a number of years minister of St. John's Methodist Episcopal church, South, in St. Louis. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Trueblood has been born one son, Wilbur Tyson, Jr., who is with his parents in an attractive home at No. 6043 Washington avenue.
Politically Mr. Trueblood is a republican and his religious faith is evidenced in his membership in the Second Baptist church at Kings Highway and Washington avenue. He has been president since 1918 of the Municipal Art Commission of St. Louis. He is a member of the St. Louis Artists Guild and the American Institute of Architects. From 1918 to 1921 he filled the position of secretary of the St. Louis Chapter in this latter organization. He has ever been active in promoting and maintaining the highest professional standards and has gained a place in the foremost rank of the architects of his native city.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.