Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

 

Church of the Apostolic Order.—
A church founded by Rev. F. T. Shore, in St. Louis, in 1896, independent of all the then existing denominations and professing primitive Christianity. Later it amalgamated with a congregation of the Church of God, which had been organized by Elder W. R. Covert, the two congregations reaching the conclusion that their professions of faith were practically the same. Rev. Mr. Shore became pastor of the church thus formed, which took the name "Forest Park Church of God."
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri: Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

Church of the Living God. —
A Church founded in St. Louis in July, of 1897, with eight members, by William Christian, who had previously founded similar organizations at Tyro, Mississippi; Texarkana, Arkansas; and Memphis, Tennessee. The church has no set creed or fixed form of government, but draws its inspiration from the Bible and observes many of the customs of the primitive Christians. Water, instead of wine, is used at the communion service, and the purification of new converts is symbolized by feet-washing and baptism in a running stream of water. In 1898 the one congregation in St. Louis professing this faith held regular services in a room at 918 North Twelfth Street.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri: Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.