Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Institutions

National Tuberculosis Association
Directory of Sanatoria Hospitals and Day Camps, For the Treatment of Tuberculosis;
New York;  August, 1919

Transcribed by: Candi H. ©2007


St. Louis
- Day and Night Camp, 9500 S. Broadway (Mar. 19, 1913)
For predisposes cases only.
Capacity: 40
Rates: No charge for patients unable to pay. Maximum charge for pay patients is $5.
Matron: Mrs. A. F. Anderson.
Medical Director: Dr. L. B. H. Bahrenburg
Applications should be made to A. W. Jones, Secretary, 613 Locust St. Camp is conducted by the St. Louis T. B. Society.

Jewish Home for Chronic Invalids, Anglum, St. Louis Co., R. F. D. No. 38 (May, 1914)
For all classes and cases.
Capacity: For T. B. patients - 40
Rates: There are no charges; patients pay according to ability.
Physician in charge and Medical Director: Dr. Selig Simon.
Applications should be made to the physician in charge.

Mount St. Rose Hospital, 9101 S. Broadway (1901)
For all classes of cases.
Capacity: 125
Rates: From $8. to $25. per week for all able to pay. Others are admitted free if there is room.
Superintendent: Sister Ildephonsa
Medical Director: Dr. Louis C. Boisliniere
Application should be made at the hospital.

St. Louis Children's Hospital, 500 S. Kinshighway (April, 1915)
For children suffering with any disease; a large percentage have tuberculosis.
Capacity: No stated number of beds for T. B. cases. All cases are taken as they apply.
Rates: $10.50 per week Patients are expected to pay according to their ability. Many are free.
Resident Superintendent: Dr. L. H. Buringham
Medical Director: Dr. William McKimm Marriott
Application should be made at the Admitting Office.

Robert Koch Hospital ( Municipal Tuberculosis Hospital of St. Louis- See Quarantine)

Quarantine (P. O. Koch)
Robert Koch Hospital ( Municipal Tuberculosis Hospital of St. Louis, Sept. 21, 1910)
For all cases.
Capacity: 300
Rates There are no charges
Superintendent and Medical Director: Dr. M. J. Dwyer
Application should be made to the superintendent.

 

Christian Orphans' Home.—This orphanage, in St. Louis, was established by "The Benevolent Association of the Christian Church," a national organization composed of the women of that denomination. In February, 1889, a small house was rented and a "Home" opened for orphan children, particularly, though not exclusively, those of the Christian Church, both sexes being admitted. Thirteen were cared for during the first year. In February, 1894, a handsome and commodious building, erected by the association, at a cost of $30,000, was opened for occupancy. This structure, situated at 915 Aubert Avenue, is of red brick, three and one-half stories high. It has accommodation for 150 children, and numbered, in 1898, 109 occupants. The cost of running the Home with its present number of inmates is $5,000 yearly.
Since the Home was founded 600 children have been accommodated, coming from twenty two States. The Home is managed by committees appointed by the Executive Board of the Benevolent Association of the Christian Church, whose officers were, in 1898: President, Mrs. H. M. Meier; vice president, Mrs. J. H. Garrison; recording secretary, Mrs. O. C. Shedd; corresponding secretary, Mrs. J. K. Hansbrough; treasurer, Mrs. R. D. Patterson. It is supported mainly by contributions from churches of the Christian denomination in St. Louis and Missouri, assisted largely by the churches in other States, as its doors are open to any child sent by any Christian Church, provided such church, if able, assists in the support of the Home. The age of admission is from three to fourteen years. Those under ten years of age are instructed in the Home school and kindergarten; the older children attend the public schools. Half-orphans are admitted for such small and varying remuneration as the parent can afford. Children, when given wholly to the Home, are placed while young —in most cases by adoption—in good homes, when opportunity affords and the happiness and welfare of the child is served. Otherwise they are educated in the Home, care being taken to develop any marked aptitude. At present two talented little girls are being instructed in the fine arts, one in music and the other in drawing; and the Home is seeking special patrons among the wealthy for individual children gifted by nature. A monthly paper called "The Orphans' Cry" is ably edited by Mrs. Hansbrough in the interest of the Home, and will, under a new name, become at an early date the organ of the association.
Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri: Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 2011~

 



Return to

St. Louis County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.