Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Accident News

Jack Dougherty and Earl Kohlhauff
Boy Dead From Dog's Bite St. Louis -
The second death within a week resulting from the bite of a mad dog occurred here when Jack Dougherty, aged 9, succumbed to the injuries received April 22.  The first death occurred, when Earl Kohlhauff, 5, died a few hours after he was bitten.  (Hope, The Hope Pioneer, 18 May 1922, p2.  Transcribed by HEH)

Frenchman Dies of Hydrophobia
A Frenchman died at St. Louis last week of hydrophobia, four weeks after being bitten by a mad dog.  His agonies were as if an internal fire was consuming him.  In calmer intervals, when water would be offered him, he wold snatch the dipper and greedily gulp the draught, upon which a spasmodic closure of the gottis, and a sense of mortal strangulation as in lockjaw, would attack him and bring on the fierest features of his madness.  He would start violently and snappishly at the bystanders giving vent, with horribly contorted features, to noises resembling a furious dog.
Source: The Alleghanian (Ebensburg, PA) September 1, 1859, page 1, transcribed by Robin Line

Two young women flying from St. Louis to New York, Mrs. Ruth Stewart and Mrs. Debbie Stanford, Toronto crashed to their death on the side of a mountain in Pennsylvania. They were flying to Buenos Aires. The accident happened when they lost their bearings in the fog. Searchers later came across their bodies and the wrecked plane two days later.. Mrs. Ruth Stewart was from St. Louis.
Submitted by Foxie Hagerty - 2009

Melancholy Catastrophe
A letter to a gentleman in Northfolk, dated St. Louis (Missouri) March 14 says A truly unfortunate and melancholy accident happened yesterday within a half a miles of this place, on the St. Charles road, by the explosion of a cask containing 320 lbs. of powder, by which three men were killed. They were part of the company destined to then Rocky Mountains.
Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania May 7 1823 Page 1. Submitted by: Nancy Piper - 2007

One of the boilers of this boat exploded at St. Louis, on Thursday, February 14th, 1854. The Kate Kearney was about to start from the wharf and the last bell had just ceased ringing, when in a single moment the greater part of the boat was changed to a confused heap of ruins. There were fifty or sixty passengers on board, and the names of many, (as usual,) were not registered. It is quite certain that several persons, whose names were never ascertained, were blown overboard and lost. Fifteen persons, badly wounded, were taken to the Sister's Hospital, St. Louis; of these, several died within a few hours, namely: the Rev. S. J. Gassaway, rector of St. George's church, St. Louis, F. Hardy, second engineer of the Kate Kearney, D. Keefer, a deck hand, and two colored men.
Among the wounded were Brevet Major D. C. Buel, of the United States army, Major R. C. Catlin, of the seventh, U. S. infantry, a son of that gentleman, and several other persons from Illinois and Missouri. Three persons, whose names are not mentioned, were seen to sink in the river.
Major Buel, one of the wounded passengers, gives the following account of his providential escape from a horrible death. He was overwhelmed among falling timbers and rubbish, from which, with great exertion, he extricated himself after the lapse of a few minutes. As soon as he felt himself at liberty he heard the alarm of fire; and although he had received several painful wounds, he united with others in an attempt to extinguish the flames. He continued in this active service until relieved by the arrival of the fire companies. He then went ashore, took a carriage, and drove to the Planter's House. It was only on his arrival there that he began to realize the serious nature of the injuries he had sustained, and from the effects of which he did not recover for several weeks.
The Kate Kearney was an old boat, having been engaged for eight or ten years in the packet trade between St. Louis and Keokuk. About three years previous, the same boiler which caused the disaster just related, collapsed at Canton, on the upper Mississippi, killing and scalding a large number of persons. The collapsed flues were taken out and new ones were substituted, but the shell of the old boiler remained. The boat was adjudged to be unfit for service several months before the explosion at St. Louis. She was withdrawn from the Keokuk trade, but as both the Alton packets had sunk, the Kate Kearney was chartered to do their duty; in which service she was engaged at the time of the explosion.
(Source - Lloyd's Steamboat Directory and Disasters 1856. Contributed by Tina Easley)

LOST IN SULPHUR CAVE - A dispatch dated Tuesday, of last week says: A party of excursionists has been lost two days in Sulphur Cave near English, Ind. Among those known to be missing are Charles Strother, of St. Louis, E. R. Role and Sister Rose, of St. Louis, Ed L. Grace, of Porter county, Indiana, F. X. Graves, Francis Arcutt, Patrick Breen and George Murphy of Campbell county Kentucky. Besides these whose names are on the hotel registers are supplied to be fifteen or twenty persons from the surrounding country. The party entered the cave last Sunday and undertook an independent course without a guide, so far as is known. Well-equipped searching parties are employed.
(Hamilton Appeal, - Marion County AL - July 31, 1896.Transcribed and submitted by Veneta McKinney)

Killed By a Runaway Motor
St. Louis, Mo., Sept. 21 While running full speed down Mount Pleasant hill in the southern part of the city, motor car 99 ran into a wagon containing four persons, throwing them out, wrecking the car and wagon and killing William Essemuller. Jack Geist received serious injuries of the back and hips, also internally. He will die.
(The Guthrie Daily Leader; Guthrie, Oklahoma; September 22, 1893. Transcribed as written by D. Donlon)

St. Louis, Nov. 7 Christ Mueller and Mrs. Kittering were fatally burned by a fire in a two story brick tenement, on Grove street, this afternoon.  Loss, $8,000.
The East Oregonian (Pendleton, OR) Saturday, November 16, 1878
Jim Dezotell

At 4 o'clock the morning of the 26th James J. Butler, city attorney of St. Louis, Mo., fattally shot James Leary in a bawdy house.  The trouble arose over the discussion of a gambling exposure.
Source: The Argus, Caledonia, Houston, MN, December 30, 1893


Return to

St. Louis County


Genealogy Trails

Copyright Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.