Welcome to
St. Louis County
Missouri Genealogy Trails

Crime News

Anagnos, Mavrakos, Chilfers
Greek Boys As Slaves.
St. Louis, Mo. - That more than 300 Greek boys who work In St. Louis, bootblack stands are held In practical slavery by patrons who pay them $1 a day for 18 hours' work and search their pockets for tips every night Is the information on which warrants were issued Tuesday by United States Commissioner Morsey for Peter Anagnos.
John Mavrakos and James Chilfers.
Alma, Wabaunsee County, Kansas October 16, 1908 Page 2 Barb Z 2009

A Boy’s Leg Worth $7,500.
St. Louis Globe-Democrat A Jury in Judge Boyle’s court yesterday gave a verdict for $7,500 in favor of Frank Demetry, a boy of eighteen, against Gregoire Aubuchon, a Florissant Constable. About a year ago the Free Baptist church, near Bridgton, St. Louis County, was robbed of a number of articles, and several farmers in the vicinity had from time to time missed farm utensils. Etc. Suspicion rested upon one Louis Holscher, living on the road near Carsonville, and a warrant was issued by Justice Baber, and placed in the hands of Constable Aubuchon, who proceeded with a posse to search the premises described. The searchers found not only the church property, but a large number of other articles that had been stolen, many of which were identified by the owners. Holscher was arrested, and sent to Florissant and put under guard, but made his escape. The next day Aubuchon, accompanied by Mills and Gorla; started in a wagon for Cote Brilliante, where it was supposed the fugitive would be found. Before reaching Cote Brilliante they met Demetry on the road,and the night being dark, thought he might be the man they were in search of. Aubuchon called on him to halt, but he ran into on inclosure nearby and Aubuchon took a gun loaded with buckshot, which one of the men on the wagon was carrying, and banged away and brought the fugitive down. Several of the buckshot entered the boy’s knee and leg, and the wounds being considered incurable; his leg was amputated above the knee by the doctors. Demetry had been to a ball at Uhrig’s Cave, and was returning home in the wake of two young girls in the neighborhood, who had also been enjoying the German waltz at the Cave. He ran because he was afraid of the three men in the wagon, and made no response to the constable’s call to him to halt. The city police had already arrested Holscher, and he was afterwards tried and convicted. Demetry sued Aubuchon and the two men who were with him in the wagon for $25,000 damages, but on the trial, under the instructions of the Judge, the suit was dismissed as to the two, and the jury found a verdict for $7,500 against Aubuchon.
Source:  The Advertiser-Courier, April 7, 1880, page 6 Hermann, MO


Denies Marriage to Wilmington Girl, According to St. Louis Word RELEASED ON $5,000 BOND LATE SATURDAY
According to a telegram received by The Evening Journal from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch today, Colonel George W. Beatty, under arrest there on a charge of non-support and abandonment preferred by his first wife, denies that he is married to Miss Lillian Shaw, of Wilmington. Beatty "jumped" his $500 bail bond in Wilmington on Wednesday last after his arrest on the non-support and abandonment charge.

According to Mrs. John Shaw, mother of Lillian Shaw, her daughter and Beatty, told her they were married, and showed her a marriage certificate before they left Wilmington. According to the Post-Dispatch, Beatty said the woman with him when he was arrested was not the former Lillian Shaw, but was a St. Louis woman. Information has been received from the St. Louis Globe-Democrat to the effect that the young woman with Beatty was not Lillian Shaw, of this city, but was a St. Louis young woman who was questioned by the police and was released, no charge being placed against her.

According to a St. Louis telegram today. Colonel Beatty has been released on $5,000 bail late on Saturday pending the arrival of extradition papers from New York, and is still in St. Louis, Whether he will resist extradition is not announced.
 Source: The Evening Journal, Wilmington, DE, Jan. 24, 1921

Police Searching for Mother
The police are looking for William and Nora Bland, formerly of No. 9001 South Broadway, where their 3-weeks-old baby was found dead yesterday morning at 6 o’clock. According to their neighbors Bland left his wife four months ago. The infant died without medical attention Tuesday night and the mother disappeared.
(Source: St. Louis Republic (Thursday, 13 Mar. 1903) transcribed by FoFG mz)

Richard Bozewetter, a messenger in the employe of the Stifel Brewing Company of St. Louis, Mo., while on the way to the bank about noon the 27th was knoced down on the street and robbed of a satchel containg $15,950 in cash and a large amount of checks.
Source: Atwater Republican (Atwater, MN) May 30, 1895, page 2

Thomas Rowe, attorney for Edward Butler, who is charged in two indictments with attempted bribery, filed three motions yesterday to disqualify Judge Ryan from sitting in the cases. Rowe filed affidavits last week before Judge Douglas to disqualify both Judge Douglas and Judge Ryan. Judge Douglas considered it only as it applied to himself and forwarded the case to Judge Ryan’s division of the court. It is considered nearly certain that Judge Ryan will overrule the motion under a ruling from the Supreme Court that only one of the Circuit Judges could be disqualified in a case.
(Source: The St. Louis Republic; Date: May 13, 1902; Submitted by: Helen Coughlin)

Chariton and St. Amanda
Lightning-Rod Transaction.
John Chariton and Levy St. Amanda were examined in the Court of Criminal Correction yesterday on a charge of burglary and larceny. Evidence was given to show that on Sunday, the 6th inst., a burglary was committed at the store of Messrs. Cole Bros., manufacturers of lightning-rods. The defendants had been in the employ of the firm, and the stolen rods were found in the possession of Charlton. The other man was said to be his confederate. Charlton was held to answer in a bond of $1,000. St. Amanda was discharged.
(St. Louis Globe-Democrat, St. Louis, MO., Thurs. Morning, June 17, 1875- Transcribed by Candi)

Rev. Nathaniel Childs, Jr. --This individual was tried and found guilty of forgery, on the 16th. He forged a check on Philip, Crow & Sons, for $275, which was paid by one of the St. Louis Banks.---Childs is an old financier, and a trial of his for embezzlement, while clerk of the old Bank, some years ago, will be recollected by the reader. He was acquitted, sued the Bank officers for defamation, and got nominal damages. We presume such as then thought he was a persecuted individual, will now think he was guilty on the first charge. He was sentenced to the Penitentiary for two years.
[Glasgow Weekly Times (Glasgow, Mo.) Thursday, December 1, 1859 Submitted by Kathy McDaniel]

Convicted of Registration Frauds.
St. Louis, Mo-Late Thursday the Jury found Henry Exnicious guilty of false registration and sentenced him to five years in the penitentiary.
Alma, Wabaunsee County, Kansas October 16, 1908 Page 2 - Barb Z 2009

A heavy robbery was committed on board the Steamboat Prairie State on her last trip from St. Louis to Peru, in reference to which we have the following particulars. The gentleman robbed was Mr. Fitch, of St. Louis and the amount taken about $1100. It was taken out of a box, which was opened by a false key, in the state room of Mr. F. while he was asleep. Following is a description of some of the money: $50 Virginia money, rather old. $30 Torn in the centre old bill, names on face, are pasted together. $100 in Ohio and Tennessee, with some $20 bills $200 Wisconsin, mostly $3’s. Balance mostly Indiana, Kentucky, &c. Some $10’s on St. Bk. Missouri. Mr. F. has offered a reward of $500 for the recovery of the money and apprehension of the thief or thieves. On arriving at Peru, three individuals were arrested on suspicion, and an examination elicited such fact, we understand as to warrant their committal, but none of the money was found about them.
Source: The Ottawa Trader, Ottawa, Illinois April 27, 1847

Mistaken Identity.
Sr. Louis. Mo., June 16, 1875.
To the Editor of the Globe-Democrat:
I wish my friends and others who saw or heard of my arrest on Third Street, Monday, to know that it was a case of mistaken identity.
I bare the misfortune to resemble a swindler, of whom the officers arc in search. By publishing this you will oblige.
Very respectfully, Peter Fullerton.
(St. Louis Globe-Democrat, St. Louis, MO., Thurs. Morning, June 17, 1875- Transcribed by Candi)

Grant and Thomas
An impromptu duel took place in St. Louis recently.  Tom Grant and Phelim Thomas, colored, quarreled over a slight difficulty.  They pulled revolvers simultaneously, emptying their guns.  both are expected to die.
Source: New Ulm Review, June 22, 1892, New Ulm, MN, by GT Transcription Team

Gilmore, Campbell, Hudson, McKenzie, Malone, Duryer
Arrests on Warrants
The warrants were returned executed yesterday in the following cases:
Emma Gillmore, grand larceny. She is accused of stealing some clothing belonging to Amanda Watson, No. 419 North Seventh street.
John Campbell, riotously disturbing the peace. The charge is preferred by Sam. W. Dicks, of No. 1006 Chestnut street.
Emma Hudson, petit larceny;
Duncan Mc-Kenzie, petit larceny;
Barney Malone, assault and battery; Bridget Kean, same .
Pat. Duryer, assault to kill; John Brennan, same.
(St. Louis Globe-Democrat, St. Louis, MO., Thurs. Morning, June 17, 1875- Transcribed by Candi)

Reformed Bandit is Being Trailed Again
St. Louis, Jan. 14 – Al Jennings, reformed bandit and train robber, was trailed by authorities once again today.
A warrant charging assault was issued by the prosecutor’s office against Jennings on complaint of Harry Kerr, whose wife was alleged to have been found in Jennings’ company at a hotel.
The Daily Messenger. Canandaigua, NY. Jan 14, 1922 (submitted by: Melissa- 2008)

Jones and Scott
About two weeks ago the broker shop of Messrs. Newbit & Co., in St. Louis, was entered and robbed of a large sum of money – some say $30,000. Included in the sum were some $15,000, which Mr. Spotswood, of Chicago had temporarily left in the safe of Messrs. Nesbit. For several days no clue could be found as to who the robbers were. Finally, however, they were traced across the river, and immediately Mr. Spotswood and two officers started in pursuit. The result is given at length in the St. Louis Republican of Monday. The thieves were over-hauled at a little town called Hudsonville, on the Wabash, and about $6000 of the money found with them. This was secured and the parties started back with their prisoners – two, calling themselves Bill Jones and William Scott – but the officers who had taken them were by this time so exhausted that, while riding in the stage with the prisoners, they fell asleep, and the rogues got away.
Source: The Ottawa Free Trader, Ottawa Illinois, April 13, 1849

Mr. Clayton Said to Have Instructions to renew Negotiations for Kratz’s Extradition.
Circuit Attorney Says the State Department is Favorable to Supplemental Agreement With Mexico.

Circuit Attorney Folk returned yesterday morning from Washington, where he had been to consult Secretary Hay of the State Department on the matter of entering into a further treaty with Mexico for the extradition of Charles Kratz, who is at Guadalajara, a fugitive from justice from St. Louis. While Mr. Folk would not admit it, it is stated that Secretary Hay has instructed Minister Clayton, The United States Ambassador at Mexico, to sound the Mexican authorities upon the subject of a supplemental treaty. In diplomatic intercourse this is equal to a treaty proposition.

The authorities are slow to give out the information because they do not wish news of the treaty proposal to reach the Mexican authorities through the press before it gets to them in official channels. On the probability of the success of the treaty Mr. Folk had little to say, except that the prospects for getting Kratz back for trial are brighter than at any time before.

When Mr. Folk left for Washington press dispatches stated that the State Department held to the opinion that a treaty could not operate to extradite a man who was a fugitive at the time the treaty went into effect. Mr. Folk expected some trouble in persuading the Secretary to a different view, but when he arrived he found matter different.

Thinks Kratz Will Be Brought Back.

“I do not desire to Prophesy,” said Mr. Folk, “but I do believe the chances for Kratz’s return to Missouri are better than they have been since the negotiations began. From what I learned at Washington in my conferences with the State Department officials I am confident the United States will do all in its power to bring Kratzs within the jurisdiction of the Criminal Court of St. Louis. If we get him back we shall do the rest. Just what action will be taken by the Government as the result of my visit to Washington I am not at liberty to state. What may be done will, of course, be done through diplomatic channels. There will be no kidnaping (kidnapping) attempted, so the people of St. Louis need not worry as to Chief Desmond’s safety.”

Chief Desmond will remain at Guadalajara for several weeks yet.

Lao, Remmell, Mamie, Goebhardt
St. Louis, Mo., Jan. 8 – Five boys were arrested in the class rooms in the high school today charged with the murder of William, Wachter, a peddler found with his skull crushed yesterday. The arrests followed information given by Mrs. Mary Goebhardt, mother of the prisoners.
The boys are: Joseph Lao, George Remmel, Frank Mamie, Henry and Arthur Goebhardt. They told the police they had stoned Wachter “just for fun.”
(Source: The Oklahoman 1/9/1909. Contributed by Dale Donlon)

Singular Case of Alleged Outrage.
E. Levy was brought up In the Criminal Court yesterday on an indictment charging him with having outraged the person of Mrs. Hannah Isaacs, wife of Mr. Benjamin Isaacs, of No. 409 Franklin avenue. The parties to the case are Jewish people. The defendant is a dealer in hides, and does business on Main street. According to the evidence, it appears that the defendant went to Mrs., Isaacs' one day last December, when her husband was away, began to take liberties with her, and, despite her resistance, threw her on a lounge and violated her person. On the return of her husband she burst into tears and told of what had happened. Evidence was given for the purpose of damaging the credit of the prosecuting witness in the opinion of the jury. In some respects the case presents features as revolting as any that has undergone investigation in the Criminal Court for some time. The case was laid over -until to-day. Mr. L. B. Beach and Colonel N. C. Claiborne prosecute, and Governor Charles P. Johnson defends.
(St. Louis Globe-Democrat, St. Louis, MO., Thurs. Morning, June 17, 1875- Transcribed by Candi)

St. Louis, March 31.—A. special to the Post-Dispatch says : Dick Little, the train robber, has surrendered under the following conditions that he be granted immunity from punishment by the Governor that he be paid $1,000 cash immediately on giving himself up, and that he receive $5,000 more in the event of the five train robbers now at large being captured through his instrumentality. Little has already received $1,000, being part of the $5,000 paid to Police Commissioner Craig, for the arrest o Clarence Hue. in Kentucky, could the capture of Little's pals be effected, Craig and Governor Crittenden, between whom the plan was evolved, will receive in the neighborhood of $200,000, the aggregate amount of the rewards offered, less the $5,000 to be paid to Little.
Source: Date: 1882-04-01; Paper: Macon Telegraph. Submitted by Barb Z.

At the request of St Louis Mexican colony Lopez Manzaro, publisher of a revolutionary paper, is in jail at Ironton, MO.
Bryan Morning Eagle, November 22, 1906; transcribed by Gladys Lavender
Submitted by Marla Zwakman

ST. LOUIS, Oct. 1.-Jacob Martin, a furniture dealer at 2033 Franklin avenue, was approached Tuesday by a young German who said he had only been in this country two years and was out of work. Martin engaged him as a porter. Wednesday morning. John-which was the only name the man gave-was missing, and $2,500, which Martin had locked up in his office desk, because of no faith in banks, was also gone. "John" is a smooth-faced light haired man of 22 years of age; wore a dark gray suit, brown straw hat and is, further, verdant looking. Five hundred dollars reward offered for his arrest.
Source: The Argus (Rock Island, IL) October 1, 1885, page 2

Hon. John I. Martin, of St. Louis, distinguished himself a few evenings since, by administering a sound thrashing to an impudent ice man who had been using his tongue too freely before some ladies, Mrs. Martin being of the number.
[THE COLE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Fri. 22 April, 1887, p1 c5. Typed by Joanne Scobee Morgan]

Three months ago Henry Martin, aged 30, and his reputed wife, Lizzie, anchored their house boat in the river at St. Louis. Tuesday afternoon her corpse was found in the boat with her skull beaten in, the boat floor covered with blood and a bloody hammer on the bank. Martin had disappeared.
[Date: 1894-12-27; Paper: American Nonconformist submitted by Barb Z.]

Negro Captured After Search Lasting Three Years.
Victims Were Slain With Ax as They Slumbered — Scene of Operations
Covered States of Missouri, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa and Kansas, St Louis Police Make Arrest of Man Accused of Killings.St. Louis, March 22. - The investigation of thirty ax murders committed in five states since 1911 was reopened here after the arrest of Loving Mitchell, a negro. The warrant on which Mitchell was arrested charges him with the murder of William B. Dawson, his wife and daughter, who were slain in their home at Monmouth, Ill., the night of Sept. 30, 1911. Since that time communities in Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Colorado and Kansas have been terrorized by similar crimes. In every instance the murderer killed an entire family as they slept by the blows of an ax. Scores of persons have been arrested, but invariably the police were forced to release them for lack of evident. A list of some of the most notable ax murders follows: H. C. Wayne, wife and child, and Mrs. A. J. Burnham and two children. Colorado Springs, Colo., September, 1911.
William E. Dawson, wife and daughter, Monmouth, Ill., September, 1911. William Showman, wife and three children, Ellsworth, Kan., October, 1911. Rollin Hudson and wife, Paola, Kan., June, 1912 J. E. Moore, four children and two girl guests, Villisca, Ia., June 1912. Mrs. Mary J. Wilson and Mrs. George Moore, Columbia, Mo., December, 1912  Jacob Neslesla, his wife, their daughter and the latter's infant, Blue Island, Ill., July, 1914. Mrs. E. B. Matthews, 80, Hartsburg, Mo., October, 1914.
Mitchell's arrest followed a search of more than three years. He had been employed near Monmouth, but disappeared after the murders in the Dawson house. He was later traced to Independence,Mo., and from there to St. Louis. The prisoner was taken back to Monmouth by Chief of Polite Morrison and Mayor Brown of that city. Before leaving, Chief Morrison said: "Dawson, his wife and daughter were murdered by three negroes, two men and a woman; revenge for attentions which the negroes believed Dawson had shown their relatives was the motive for the crime; the negro woman in the case I will arrest soon; the other man is now in the Joliet (Ill.) penitentiary." He added that he had no evidence that these negroes were connected with any other ax murders.
[The Democratic banner.(Mt. Vernon, Ohio), March 23, 1915] Submitted by Kim Torp

Nicolaus Case Postponed.
The case of Henry Nicolaus, a director of the Suburban Railroad, who is charged with bribery, was called in Judge Ryan’s court yesterday, but as the defense was not ready it was passed until June 2. Charles Nagel and Jesse McDonald are now Mr. Nicolaus’s attorneys so the court was informed, and there was some delay inasmuch as they had not familiarized themselves with the case.

The Bogus Potato-Measure.
Joseph Reither, a peddler, was tried in the Police Court, yesterday, on a charge of using a half-bushel measure which was not in accordance with the city standard. This is the case in which the wooden measure had half a dozen large potatoes nailed down 60 as to serve as a false bottom.
Mr. Smythe appeared for defendant and contended that the measure was stamped and constructed according to law. Judge Cullen remarked that defendant might have committed a grevious [sic] offence, but he was entitled to the protection of the law, and must be prosecuted on a proper charge. The case was taken under advisement.
(St. Louis Globe-Democrat, St. Louis, MO., Thurs. Morning, June 17, 1875- Transcribed by Candi)

Louis Segerman murdered his wife in Grant county about the time of the opening of the strip. He was adjudged insane and sent to Jacksonville. Recently he was discharged as cured. He went to St. Louis and started in business, but not succeeding, he cut his throat with a knife and died.
(The Langston City Herald, Langston City, O. T. September 21, 1895. Transcribed by Dale Donlon)

The Case of Florence Smith.
A singular case was tried in a singular way it the Police Court yesterday. A negro named Florence Smith was tiled on the charge of wearing apparel unbecoming his sex in a public place. "Florence" is a full-blooded negro, and had not a very feminine look. There is a scar on his left cheek, and his countenance does not give a favorable impression of his' disposition. He wore a dark blue coat and pantaloons of some coarse material. "Call him out," said one officer. "Call her out," said another, and the creature of the indefinable gender came forward. Colonel R. C. Claiborne had demanded a Jury, and, with a sort of poetic justice in view, Mr. Adams, the deputy, had hunted up half a dozen gentlemen of color - good and lawful men, of the same race as the accused. The city was represented by Mr. P. Curtis, a rising young lawyer, lately from Louisville. The jury was accepted by both parties without any challenges being made. It consisted of Messrs. J. S. Brown, Chas. Torsie, Geo. Taylor,
Joe Smith, M. Arnold and Joe Thornton. They were respectable-looking citizens, but most of them were several shades lighter complexion than the defendant.
Officer Wall testified that he arrested the defendant on Seventh and St. Charles streets. Defendant had on a woman's clothes, a skirt, two or three petticoats and other articles of female attire. A huge bunch of black horse hair was handed in, identified as having been worn by defendant on his head, though it was then ornamented with flowers. Witness took the prisoner to the Chestnut Street Police Station, where he was searched, and found to he a man.
Captain Burgess testified that he had examined the prisoner, who was a man.
Michael Fortin, ex-Deputy Jailer, testified he had assisted two physicians in making an examination of the prisoner. He was a man, and nothing else.
The two physicians who were expected to testify did not appear.
Mollie Brown, a colored prostitute, was sworn, and testified that defendant was on the door-step, and not on the sidewalk, when arrested.
The case was ably argued for the defendant and for the city. Colonel Claiborne urged that the sex of the "'gentle Florence" had not been established beyond doubt, and that she was entitled to wear the clothes of either sex. He claimed that' 'she" was net on the sidewalk.
After retiring for a few minutes, the Jury returned a verdict of guilty, assessing a fine of $50.
Smith went to the Work-house in the afternoon.
(St. Louis Globe-Democrat, St. Louis, MO., Thurs. Morning, June 17, 1875- Transcribed by Candi)

Jeff D. Storts, a St. Louis Four Courts lawyer, was fined fifteen dollars a few days ago, by Judge Cady, for discharging his revolver in the streets.
[COLE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Jefferson City, 12 Sept. 1884, p1 c4. Typed by Joanne Scobee Morgan]

Taylor and Tesmer
Rumors of Feud
St. Louis, Mo., Sept. 7. – AP – Rumors of gangdom, hatred and feud today enwrapped the mysterious double killing of Dorothy Taylor, 19, a widow, and Ben Tesmer, alleged narcotic peddler, whose bullet-punctured bodies were found in a St. Louis county summer cottage yesterday. Both apparently were slain by the same marksman.  (West Palm Beach, The Palm Beach Post, 08 Sep 1925, p18.  Transcribed by HEH).

Killed with an Ax.
St. Louis, Mo., May 29. - Matt Gibson and James Timmerman became involved in a fight on the skimmer John A. Scudder last night. Timmerman picked up the hatchet and buried it in Gibson's brain. The fight grew out of the dispute about work. Timmerman charging Gibson was beating him out of a job. Gibson's skull was split wide open, and he was taken to the hospital, where he died in a few minutes. Timmerman was arrested.
[Source: The Quincy Daily Journal; May 30, 1884; Page 1 - Transcribed by Debbie Gibson]

Was Ordered to Government Hospital at the Request of Mrs. John A. Logan.

St. Louis, Mo.—Col. William P. Tucker, assistant paymaster of the United Slates army, on whom a warrant was served at  Decatur, III., early Tuesday, charging wife desertion, left St. Louis for Hot Springs, Ark., on an Iron Mountain train at nine o'clock Wednesday night.
Col. Tucker is a very sick man, and whether he will survive the journey is problematical. He was accompanied to the Union station by Dr. Louis H. Behrens, the house physician who was called Into the case Tuesday night. Accompanying Col. Tucker to Hot Springs are G. E. Frey of Chicago and his sister, Mrs. Myrtle Platt, a former teacher in the Philippines, who has been nursing Col. Tucker In his present Illness, Mrs. Jennie T. Johnson of Oak Park, Ill., who is a sister of Col. Tucker will be taken to the government hospital at Hot Springs whither he was ordered by Secretary of War Wright The action of Secretary Wright, it appears, was taken at the Instigation of Mrs. John A. Logan, the mother-in-law of the colonel, who desired that he be no longer nursed by Mrs. Platt.
Under the rules of the hospital at Hot Springs, outside nurses are not permitted to care for patients there.
Alma, Wabaunsee County, Kansas October 23, 1908 Page 2 - Barb Z 2009

Rev. William Thomas Abbott West, who is charged with the murder of Susie Beck at St. Louis, was seen at London, Ont., and a few days ago.  It is supposed he is in hiding near that place.
[THE COLE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Fri. 22 April, 1887, p1 c5. Typed by Joanne Scobee Morgan]

ST. Louis, March 31.—The store and residence of Joseph Yerger at Antonio, Jefferson county," was set on fire last night. As Yerger with his family rushed from the burning house he was shot and killed by a concealed assassin, who escaped.
Source: Date: 1882-04-01; Paper: Macon Telegraph. Submitted by Barb Z.

Friday the 13th
Cops Overheard Plans
St. Louis Jan. 13 - Three men were planning a big payroll robbery while a squad of policemen sat in an adjoining room listening. Calaboose.
Friday, 13th they said. The Daily Messenger, NY. Friday, Jan 13 1922. (submitted by: Melissa- 2008)

Nine Hours They Worked on the Safe Robbers Made Successful Escape on Horseback,
It is Believed Former Discharged Cashier had been accused of Embezzling $12,000.

ST. LOUIS.—(Special.) Six masked men entered the National Stock Yards Bank, north of East St Louis. Ill, and, after capturing and gagging the two night watchmen and firemen at the steam plant and blowing open the vaults with dynamite, secured $5,000 in coin and currency, with which they decamped. For nine hours, from 7 o'clock at night until 4 a. m., they were at work on the vault without being interfered with. The entire East St Louis police force, aided by the St. Louis police, are guarding all the avenues of escape, but as yet have obtained no clue as to the whereabouts of the robbers, who. It is believed, escaped on horseback.
About midnight one of the robbers was left to guard the three captives, while the other five went to the bank, which Is located on the first floor of the exchange building, near the center. With nitro-glycerlne the robbers blew open the steel doors of the vault. These doors, of a double thickness of steel, were shattered and the bank's books and papers blown into shreds. Entering the vault, the big steel safe, with quadruple plate doors, was next encountered. These doors were drilled and a charge of the explosive inserted, which blew them off. The explosion destroyed more books and papers, and scattered about $600 in gold and silver upon the floor. This money was not taken by the robbers. They took all the currency and other coin, amounting to about $5,000. as nearly as the banks officials can estimate. The five men left the bank and signaled to the one who was guarding the captive watchman and fireman. This man joined his companions. In addition to the $5,000. the robbers secured $550 left with the bank by Assistant Postmaster Bushnell, of the stock yards. This Is the bank whose officers recently swore out a warrant charging Theodore Duddleston, the assistant cashier, with embezzling $12,000.

The Valley Falls, Jefferson County, Kansas Friday Jan. 10 1902 Page 1 - Barb Z. 2009

St. Louis Insane Asylum
A sedative given to the patients in the St. Louis insane asylum, recently, killed four of them. It was a mixture of various narcotic poisons, conium predominating. The coroner’s jury in the case found that the sedative was prepared according to the prescription of Dr. Howard, the resident physician, “and that the blame, if any, attaches to the nurse, who administered overdoses of the medicine.”
The Medical and Surgical Reporter, Philadelphia, Sept 4, 1875. D.G. Brinton, M.D., Editor. Submitted by Linda Rodriguez

Return to

St. Louis County


Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.