Taney County, Missouri Genealogy Trails
DICKENSON, JOHN T., judge Taney county probate court of Missouri, was born March 7, 1845, in Stafford, England. He was educated at the Eecleshall grammar school, and graduated under an Oxford M.A. He succeeded to his father's business of hardware merchant at Stafford, of which city his father served with distinction as mayor. In 1869 he moved to London; and ten years later emigrated to New York city. In 1881 he settled in- Taney county, Mo.: and soon attained success as a general merchant. He was public administrator of Taney county for three terms; and postmaster for sixteen years; and has filled various other positions of trust and honor in the gift of his city, county and state. Since 1903 he has been judge of the probate court for Taney county, and is now serving his second term of 1907-10; and resides in Dickens. Mo. Source: Herringshaw's American Statesman and Public Official Year-book: 1907/08 Submitted by Janice Rice- 2009
MELVIN E. BIRD.
Melvin E. Bird is one of the successful merchants of Taneyville, being numbered among the substantial residents of that town. He was born near Springfield, Missouri, February n, 1867, and is a son of John H. and Jane (Cox) Bird, natives of Kentucky, who in 1865 settled in Missouri near Springfield. The father followed farming throughout life and now lives with our subject, the mother having passed away in February, 1911. In their family were ten children: Daniel W., formerly a school teacher of Springfield, and a merchant and traveling salesman, who is now engaged in the real-estate business in Lodi, California; Amy, who married W. K. Russell, of Brookline, Missouri; James, of Oklahoma; Mary, deceased; Melvin E., of this review; William J., of Portland, Oregon; John R., a traveling salesman who has an interest in our subject's store and who resides in Springfield; Millie, deceased; Laura E., who married James W. Roberts, of Brownbranch, Missouri; and Clara, twin sister of Laura, deceased. Melvin E. Bird grew to manhood in Greene and Taney counties, spending his early years upon his father's farm and attending the country schools of Greene county until he was thirteen years of age. He then became a pupil in the Bradley- ville school in Taney county, which he attended until he was sixteen years of age, and then resided in Rome, Douglas county, until he was nineteen. For two years he followed farming and attended the Sparta Normal school for two years after his marriage, subsequently buying a farm in the northeastern part of Taney county. There he lived for eight years, giving much attention to cattle-raising. In 1904 he was elected county surveyor, serving for one term, and then was elected county assessor, also for one term. In 1912 he became interested in the general merchandise business in Taneyville and after his term of office had expired took charge of the store of which he has since been at the head. He follows the most honorable methods and has a large number of customers and his business is constantly increasing. He is modern and up-to-date in his ideas and his store is a credit to the community. He also owns residence and business property in Taneyville and is, moreover, interested in a hotel. He and his father were among the organizers of the Bank of Forsyth and our subject is now a stockholder in the same. For four years before he was elected surveyor he acted as deputy surveyor and has, since 1912, held that position. On the 4th of February, 1886, Mr. Bird was united in marriage to Miss Susan C. Shields, a native of Georgia, who came to'Missouri with her parents when she was but a small child, the family settling in the northeastern part of Taney county. Her father was a farmer and blacksmith, and both he and his wife are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Bird are the parents of three children: Fannie, who married Steve Day, of Taneyville, Missouri, by whom she has two children, Eldo and Edgar Gerald; Clarence Wesley, who is assisting his father with the farm work and also in the store; and Lee Riley. Politically Mr. Bird is a republican, and his religious faith is that of the Baptist church. He has always taken an active interest in its affairs and at present serves as deacon. Fraternally he is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and is popular in the local lodge. He has many friends in Taneyville and Taney county, all of whom esteem and respect him for the worth of his character and for what he has achieved in life.source: Missouri the center state By Walter Barlow Stevens 1821- 1915 Submitted by Janice Rice- 2009
S.W. HOPKINS, M.D.
The standing of every profession is marked by the character of the men who represent it, and the reputation of Dr. S.W. Hopkins stands second to none in the county as a successful and popular physician. He is a native son of Missouri, his birth having occurred in Taney county, on the 27th of October, 1844. He is a son of Josiah and Mahala (Phebus) Hopkins. The paternal grandfather, William Hopkins, removed from Ohio to Iowa, where he spent his remaining days. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Hornback, was an aunt of Judge Hornback, who died near Carthage. Josiah Hopkins was born in Ohio, in 1813, and received his education in the University of Ohio, later becoming a minister in the United Brethren church. His death occurred in Kansas, to which state he had removed from Iowa, passing away in Miami county, on the 17th of July, 1867. The mother of our subject was a daughter of John Phebus, who was born in Scotland but came to the United States when young, locating in Iowa, where his death afterward occurred. He married Barbara Steward, and she also departed this life in Iowa. Unto Josiah and Mahala (Phebus) Hopkins were born eight children, our subject being now the only living representative of the family. The father served in the Union army during the Civil war, becoming a lieutenant in Company A, Tenth Iowa Infantry, and was afterward made major of the Forty-fourth Iowa Infantry. During his service he received a slight wound
S.W. Hopkins, whose name introduces this review, was taken to Polk county, Iowa, when four years of age, and there received his education in the common schools and Lane University, graduating in the latter institution in 1866. He then entered the school room as an instructor, following that profession for ten years in Iowa and Kansas. Choosing the profession of medicine as a life occupation, he attended lectures in Louisville, Kentucky, where he graduated in 1879, and then began the active practice of his profession at Bower’s Mill, where he remained for four years. On the expiration of that period he came to Sarcoxie, Jasper county, where, with the exception of about one year spent on the Pacific coast, he has ever since remained, and has built up a large and constantly growing patronage. The Doctor is a member of the Southwest Missouri Medical Association, of which he was president for one term and treasurer for two terms, and was also president of the Jasper County Medical Association. During Harrison’s administration he was appointed president of the United States examining board of pensions, and so ably did he discharge the duties entrusted to his care that during President McKinley’s first administration he was re-appointed to the position. He is a staunch Republican in his political affiliations, but he has never been an aspirant for political honors, as his extensive medical practice claims his entire time and attention. In his social relations the Doctor is a member of Sarcoxie Lodge, No. 248, I.O.O.F.
In 1867 occurred the marriage of Dr. Hopkins and Miss Candace A. Sill, a daughter of Judge Sill, of Green Castle, Indiana, and a cousin of the wife of Professor Ridpath, the noted historian. Unto this union has been born three sons. The eldest, Albert R., was born August 26, 1869, and after graduating in the high school at Sarcoxie he removed to Chicago, Illinois, and became an employee in a book-binding and job printing establishment. He is now engaged in the book-binding and printing business in Stockton, California. He married May B. Lowell, of Riverside, California, and they have one daughter, Edna, born November 15, 1896. The second son, James E., was born on the 30th of March, 1871, is a graduate of the Sarcoxie high school, and is now station agent on the Southern Pacific Railroad at King City, California. The youngest son, Herman D., was born September 15, 1876, and after completing the high school course of this city he learned the linotype printing business, becoming an expert in that line of work, and he is now engaged with the Kansas City Times. Dr. Hopkins has devoted the greater part of his life to the art of healing and to the relief of the suffering. He is indeed the loved family physician in many a household, and the value of his services to the community cannot be over-estimated.
[Source is: The biographical record of Jasper County, Missouri By Malcolm G. McGregor (1901). Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
BRUMLEY, G. W.
From Tent to Mansion
The lives of Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Brumley are a true western romance with a Hortatio Alger twist. Not only did Brumley achieve success and wealth after starting in poverty, but along the way he created a need market to help others succeed during the years when Deaf Smith County was evolving from range land to a diversified farming empire.
George W. Brumley was born in Christian County, Mo., on March 9, 1882. Mary Caroline Rozelle was born July 21, 1883, in Taney County, Mo.
When young George Brumley rode into Protem, Mo., one day in 1900, he noticed a pretty young girl who quite evidently needed help in mounting her horse - side-saddle, of course. He offered his hand as a step and boosted her lightly to her steed. They met again when his brother, James, married her sister, Agnes. He rode horseback 50 miles once a month to see her during the year's courtship. On Oct. 20, 1901, they drove to the preacher's home and were married in a simple ceremony.
Their lives were full of pioneering before they finally arrived in Deaf Smith County. Loading their few possessions in a covered wagon, they headed west in 1903. Their seven-day trip took them to Choska Bottom in the Creek Nation of Oklahoma. A month later they drove another seven days to Ponca City, traveling with a seven-wagon train. The lived in a tent while Brumley worked for farmers and ranchers during two years in that area. Their two oldest children, Bonnie and Lucille, were born during that time. When a railroad doctor had to perform an emergency appendectomy on Mrs. Brumley in their frontier home, he decided it was time to return to "civilization" so they returned to Springfield, Missouri, where he worked in a grocery store for $5 a week plus rooms in the store. He bought a confectionery store which he operated until the doctor advised him to return to the west for his wife's health.
With their two children and 350 pounds of baggage they boarded a train for San Jon, N. M. in 1906. He filed on 160 acres of land and built a dug-out for their home. For a living he cut posts; for recreation he killed rattlesnakes. With a neighbor as partner he operated a sorghum mill, providing some 4,000 gallons of molasses to supplement the frugal diet of their families and neighbors. Mrs. Brumley churned fresh butter, which the enterprising Brumley sold in town.
Times were hard in 1909; so Brumley hired a neighbor girl to stay with his wife and children while he came to Hereford to seek work. He went to work for the City of Hereford, hauling gravel to fill the wagon ruts in the muddy streets of the board-walk town. He saw an opportunity to supplement his small earnings by feeding slop he gathered from local hotels at night to a pen of hogs near the dug-out where he lived on the banks of the Tierra Blanca.
About every two months Brumley made a trip to take money and supplies to his family until he moved them to Hereford in 1912. For seven years he bought fruit by the car load from the Pecos Valley and other places and peddled it in Hereford.
Finally about 1920 Brumley launched a venture destined to make him "hog kings" of the Panhandle. A fried, Henry Wilkinson of the First State Bank, suggested that Brumley make a market for hogs.
"I'd like to, but I just don't have the money," Brumley replied.
"You make the market, and we'll furnish the money," the banker assured him.
In answer to his advertisement that he would buy any kind of hogs, farmers brought pigs by wagon from Tucumcari, Plainview, Clovis, and many other surrounding towns. Brumley hog trains moved regularly from Hereford headed for California. Many a young man got his first trip to California, as care taker for one of those hog trains. Soon Brumley was handling a million dollars worth of hogs a year - $18,000,000 worth during the early 1920'2.
During the latter part of that decade he went into the automobile business, selling his first car from Brumley Chevrolet in 1926. He sold that business to Luther Hough in 1937. He also owned filling stations in Hereford and Dimmitt.
Brumley bought a ranch 20 miles west of Hereford on Harrison Highway in 1937. He sold his filling stations and devoted himself to his hog and ranch interests for the rest of his life. A son, Homer, was in partnership with his father in the hog business. Roger, another son, bought a partnership in the ranch. They have continued in those enterprises since their father's death on September 29, 1959 - when he suffered a heart attack while helping at the ranch.
The Brumleys celebrated their golden wedding anniversary at their spacious stone home at 109 N. Texas Ave. in the rapidly-growing western section of Hereford. Homer Brumley now makes his home there with his mother; his son, David, and his family live on the Brumley ranch home developed by Homer and Elizabeth Montfort Brumley before her death. Davis and Home continue as partners in the hog business.
B. E. (Bonnie) Brumley was married to Alma Knox, and they lived on a Deaf Smith County farm east of Hereford for many years as he worked independently and with his father in farming, ranching, and livestock pursuits. In 1946 he established a slaughter plant and feed yards east of town. When he moved to Lubbock, that business was sold to his son-in-law, E. D. (Britch) Hopson, who had married Naomi Brumley.
Lucille Brumley married Louie Olson, and they have farmed in this county throughout their married life. Both their children, George L. Olson and Mrs. G. W. Duncan have successful farm families in this county.
Roger Brumley was married to Novell Throckmorton. They have lived in Hereford continuously, rearing two daughters and a son, while Roger continues in the ranch business started by his father.
Goldia is Mrs. John O. Baker, whose husband is a physician. Grace was married to George Robertson, and they are making their home in Amarillo. Virgil, the youngest Brumley daughter, married Early Joiner, who was a veterinarian. He is deceased, and she lived at Lubbock.
(A History of Deaf Smith County, by Bessie Patterson, 1964 ; transcribed by Vicki Bryan)
Taney County, Missouri Genealogy Trails
© 2006 - 2009 by Genealogy Trails - All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved for original submitters.