Washington County Missouri
Parke Monroe Banta
BANTA, Parke Monroe, a Representative from Missouri; born in Berryman, Crawford County, Mo., November 21, 1891; attended the public schools, and William Jewell College at Liberty, Mo.; was graduated from Northwestern University Law School at Evanston-Chicago, Ill., in 1914; was admitted to the bar in 1913 and practiced at Potosi, Mo., 1914-1925 and at Ironton, Mo., 1925-1941; prosecuting attorney of Washington County, Mo., in 1917 and 1918; during the First World War served in the United States Army as a private and through the ranks to first lieutenant from April 1918 to August 1919; member of the board of trustees of Arcadia, Mo., in 1928 and 1929; member of Ironton-Arcadia School Board in 1932 and 1933; administrator of the Missouri State Social Security Commission 1941-1945; elected as a Republican to the Eightieth Congress (January 3, 1947-January 3, 1949); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1948 to the Eighty-first Congress and for election in 1950 to the Eighty-second Congress; resumed the practice of law in Ironton, Mo.; general counsel for Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Washington, D.C., from April 11, 1953, until January 20, 1961; retired; died in Cape Girardeau, Mo., May 12, 1970; interment in New Masonic Cemetery, Potosi, Washington Co., Mo. (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)
Rev. Edwin T. Brown
Religious Activity in Missouri 1865-1879
(Adapted from Sketches in The Central Baptist, June 1879, and Other Sources) R. P. R.
Edwin T. Brown was born in Lancaster County Pennsylvania, in the year 1818. At twelve years of age he surrendered his life to Christ, and about one year thereafter was baptized into the Baptist Church in Pittsburg by the Rev. Dr. Elliott of that city. He was a student in Fayette College, Pennsylvania, for a short time, but his family having removed to Virginia, he completed his education in Rector College of that State. In 1838 he was licensed to preach the Gospel. In the selection of the text for his first sermon he showed what was to be the ruling principle of life – "God First." He was ordained as pastor of the Baptist Church at Connelsville, May, 1843. Shortly after he married Miss Eliza J. Bryson, daughter of Deacon Bryson, Uniontown, Pa., a cultured woman of earnest, consecrated life. She was a source of help and comfort to him during his years of Christian activity. In 1844 he moved to Ohio, and during the succeeding twenty years, became successively the pastor at Mount Vernon, Wooster and Warner in that State. Each of these churches he left stronger and more beneficently active than he found them.
During the Civil War he entered the service of the Government as Chaplain of the 2nd Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, and here manifested the same zeal for the cause of the Master, and in the interest of winning souls to His service as had been, and was subsequently the ruling spirit of his ministry. In 1865 he was appointed to represent the Home Mission Society, New York, and came to Missouri. He settled in Sedalia, and thence extended his work as Home Missionary into the surrounding regions. Here he found a few Baptists, but no church, and he went to work among the people of the Lord, and they said, let us rise up and build to His name, and today two flourishing churches stand where there was none. In continuance of his good work – in October, 1866, he and Rev. James Woods, as they were returning from the meeting of Tebo Association, stopped in Clinton, Missouri, and preached in the Courthouse for a period of about two weeks. At the close of this meeting, twelve converts were baptized, and a church of twenty members was organized. About one year later he became pastor of this young church, and entered upon the labor of building a suitable house of worship for it. He continued this effort for about two years, in the meantime serving the church in spiritual matters faithfully and efficiently. He superintended the work of the building to the smallest minutiae, and secured for the First Baptist Church of Clinton one of the best church edifices in southwest Missouri, at the cost of about $20,000. On October 17, 1869, the dedication services were conducted by Rev. Dr. Thomas Rambaut, President of William Jewell College, as preacher, and Rev. Dr. G. J. Johnson, assistant. He then resigned his office as pastor in Clinton and took the field for the Baptist Publication Society. This agency he held for a few years, then accepted the appointment as financial agent for William Jewell College. He was peculiarly happy in his methods as financial agent, and the College was greatly blessed in his efforts to raise money for its endowment, and in the favorable publicity he gave it in all parts of the state through which he traveled. He held this important office but a few years, for as Sedalia became something of a railroad center, his interest in the condition of that growing city caused him to feel the pressing need of supplying the families of the railroad men with Gospel privileges, and he decided to devote his life to this cause. At his own expense – bating about $200.00 given by a brother in sympathy with his work – he built a commodious chapel in the eastern part of the city, and deeded it to the Home Mission Society. Here he preached without remuneration, and gathered together a church of about one hundred members.
On October 28, 1874, this house was dedicated to the service of the Lord, Rev. Dr. G. J. Johnson of St. Louis preaching the sermon. During the March following a series of meetings was conducted by Rev. Geo. Balcom. At the close of the meetings an invitation was given to those who held letters from Baptist Churches to come together and form a church at this place. Eleven persons presented themselves, and with appropriate exercises the East Sedalia Baptist Church was launched, and has become a veritable Ship of Zion. A pleasant coincidence is found in the fact that during this meeting, Rev. E. T. Brown had the sacred pleasure of baptizing eleven candidates for church membership in the baptistery of the new building, and of the eleven, his own daughter was the first. Brother Brown was chosen as its first pastor, and served one year. After an interim of one year, which he employed in general work for the cause of Christ, he was again elected pastor, and maintained this relationship until a few months before his death. He had a consuming zeal for church organization, and in his period of labor in Missouri, reorganized many churches that had been dispersed through the vicissitudes of the Civil War, and gathered many of them into a new Association, called the Sedalia Association. This name was subsequently changed to Central Baptist Association. That name has also lapsed, and is in part represented by what is now (1917) Harmony Association. This reminds one that the history of the mazy relations of the Association in Missouri would furnish a striking illustration of the influence that the infinitesimal has in producing change in this world of ours. A number of the churches that ha united in forming Central Baptist Association withdrew and Pettis County Association was the result. Two years later, Pettis County Association was merged into what is now (1917) Harmony Association – and may it ever remain Harmony in spirit if not in name. The ministerial life of Rev. E. T. Brown was a fruitful one. In the thirty-eight years of his religious activity, he baptized nearly nineteen hundred converts, was pastor of seven churches, organized three, reorganized many, number unknown, and built three church edifices. He seemed to have taken three mottoes as suggestive guides to his religious life, and to have lived up to the spirit of them all: God First"; Carey’s "Attempt great things for God; expect great things from God" ; "Do with your might what your hand findeth to do." He died at his home in Sedalia, June 9, 1879, with a stroke of paralysis, after an illness of half an hour. The Baptist Church in Clinton, that he had organized thirteen years before, when the fact of his death became known, devoted the prayer-hour of Wednesday evening to exercises memorial of his beneficient life and labors. It was decided that the church should be represented at the funeral exercises on the following Friday. The deacons of the First Baptist Church were appointed as the representatives, and at Sedalia they were assigned a place among the honorary pall-bearers. The laboring classes, for whose welfare he had so long, so faithfully, so lovingly labored, were prominent among those that mourned the death of this good man. (Source: Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) transcribed by Mary Saggio)
James P. Cape
Religious Activity in Missouri 1861-1907 Rev. George Steele
Elder James P. Cape was born November 21, 1825, near Belleview, Washington County, Missouri. August 21, 1848, he married Miss Laura E. Breckenridge, who after a long and useful life as a Christian wife and mother, preceded him to the Better Land. The larger part of Bro. Cape’s life was spent on a farm about three miles south of De Soto, near Swashing Baptist Church. The records of this church, of which he was a member for probably sixty years, show that he was ordained a deacon of that church on the second Saturday in May, 1855. It is not known with certainty at what time he began to exercise his gifts in the ministry, but the record shows that a call was made for his ordination at the July meeting, 1861. He had been preaching then for some years and his ministerial career thus lasted for more than half a century. Like many of our pioneer preachers he possessed in a large measure the two-fold gifts of pastor and evangelist. His revival meetings were fruitful in conversions and his pastoral care edified the churches. Generally having charge of three or four churches, some of them at long distances from his home, he was faithful in keeping his appointments. His principal fields of labor were, Lebanon, Sandy, Vineland, Charter, Temperance Mission, Moontown and his own home Church. In these and other points blessed by his ministry, he has in many cases preached to three successive generations. His preaching was original, biblical, earnest. He copied no man and walked in the tracks of no other preacher. His text book of theology was the New Testament. The divine blessing rested richly upon his labors and he gathered many sheaves in the harvest fields that he both tilled and reaped. He was a successful business man. Using the same energy and devotion in his private business that he did in his religious work, God blessed him with a good farm, a comfortable home and a loving family. In his intercourse with his brethren in the ministry, he was fraternal and helpful, but his own ideals of the ministry were so high that any ministerial misconduct pained him exceedingly. One of the secrets of his success in the ministry was that his hearers all knew that there was a good man behind the sermon, and that he lived the religion which he preached and professed. A man of singular purity of character, of unblemished integrity and of stern, unyielding principles, he gained and kept up to his fourscore years the abiding respect of all who knew him. And so the name of Uncle Jimmy, as he was familiarly known, will be held in long and loving remembrance in the bereaved home circle, in his own home neighborhood, in the churches which he served with self-denying fidelity, in the Jefferson County Association, in which he was a wise and loving counselor, and by all who knew him, and especially by those of them who believe as he did in the old, old story (using one of his own familiar phrases) "of dying love and redeeming grace."
He kept up his usual preaching appointments until the Christmas before his death, when increasing infirmities compelled him to relinquish his beloved tasks. He entered into rest at the home of his son, James E. Cape, three miles south of De Soto, Missouri, on Friday, March 8, 1907.
His funeral took place at the Swashing Church, Sunday, March 10, the sermon being preached, at his request, by Rev. George Steele. Two passages of Scripture were used as texts, Acts 11:24, "For he was a good man and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith, and much people was added to the Lord;" and I Peter 4:1, "Arm yourselves likewise with the same mind." The Word declares that the end of the commandment is love out of a pure heart and of a good conscience and of faith unfeigned. Then James P. Cape’s life on earth was a living proof that this end can be reached in faithful, loving obedience to the Master of all, at whose feet, after the burden and heat of the day, he was able to lay his bundle of well-won sheaves. (Source: Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) transcribed by Mary Saggio)
John C. Cape
In his efforts to spread the Gospel and to build up the churches James P. Cape had an able helper in the person of his brother, John C. Cape, who lived on a farm near him, and who was a leading layman in the Jefferson County Association for many years. He was moderator for ten years and served faithfully and efficiently on the District Mission Board. (Source: Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) transcribed by Mary Saggio)
Gibbon William Carson
Physician; born in Washington Co., Mo., July 8, 1854; son of James A. and Mary H. (Wingo) Carson; educated in public schools of Washington Co., Mo.; Bellevue College, Caledonia, Mo., 1872; Westminster College, Fulton, Mo., A.B., 1874 (Sc.D., 1903); Missouri Medical College, St. Louis, M.D., 1878; married, Fulton, Mo., Oct. 2, 1879, Bettie N. King; one son: Gibbon King Carson (died in infancy). Assistant in City Hospital and Asylum, City Dispensary physician and secretary of Board of Health, 1878-85. Engaged in general practice in St. Louis from graduation. Member American Medical Association, Missouri State Medical Association, St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri Medical College Alumni Association, Westminster College Alumni. Democrat. Trustee Grand Avenue Presbyterian Church. Mason; Past Master Blue Lodge, Past Grand High Priest Royal Arch Chapter, Past Illustrious Master, Past Master Royal and Select Masters, Past Grand Commander Knights Templar. Recreation: baseball. Office: 301 Century Bldg. Residence: 4104 W. Pine Boul. (Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
CONZELMAN, Oscar, dentist; born, Irondale, Mo., June 19, 1869; son of Jacob and Eva (Fisher) Conzelman; educated public schools; Columbia University, New York; Washington University, St. Louis, graduating from the Dental Department of same, degree of D.D.S., 1894; married, Hannibal, Mo., Jan. 27, 1903, Marguerite Ryan; one daughter, Virginia Marie. Has engaged in practice in St. Louis since 1894. Republican. Lutheran. Member Woodmen of the World. Club: Liederkranz. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office: 3860 S. Broadway. Residence: 3415 Halliday Ave. (Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
Elbridge Milton Dearing
Elbridge Milton Dearing, Judge of the circuit court and numbered among the honored residents of Potosi, Washington county, was born on his father's farm near Blackwell, in that county, December 20, 1867, and is a son of Richard H. Dearing, who engaged in forming in Washington county throughout his life, and his death in 1893 was an occasion of deep bereavement in the community. His birth occurred near Old Mines and his father, Addison Dearing, was born in Kentucky and came to Missouri in 1820 as a married man with a family, settling in Washington county. The wife of Addison Dearing was Miss Elizabeth Preston, a member of the prominent family of that name in Kentucky. The Dearing family was originally from Virginia, where it was founded in the colonial days, thence removing to Kentucky. When Richard H. Dearing commenced farming in Washington county, Missouri, he had to cut down the trees and make his own road to the wooded tract where he made his home. He was a prominent man in the community and for four years was presiding Judge of the county court. He was a zealous Baptist and an exemplary member of the Masonic order, being a charter member of Blackwell Lodge, No. 536, A. F. & A. M. He married Miss Eliza C. Cole, who was born in Washington county, a daughter of Micajah and Larinia (Turley) Cole, both natives of Kentucky but early settlers of Missouri. Mrs. Dearing died on the 11th of June, 1917. She was the mother of eight children. The early education of Elbridge M. Dearing was obtained in the common schools of Washington county and Cape Girardeau State Normal School. After completing his course in that institution he taught school for a period of four years, studying law in his spare time under the direction of his brother, Frank R., who was practicing law in De Soto and was at that time holding the office of prosecuting attorney. In 1892 Elbridge M. Dearing was admitted to the bar and immediately entered upon practice in partnership with Frank R. as Dearing Brothers at Hillsboro and Potosi, taking entire charge of the firm's business at the latter place. Frank R. Dearing died in 1904 while holding the office of circuit Judge, and Governor Dockery appointed Elbridge M. Dearing to fill the unexpired term, from June, 1904, to January 1, 1905. Previously he had served as prosecuting attorney for Washington county in 1896 and had been re-elected in 1898. In the year of his brother's death, 1904, he was elected to the legislature from his county and served on the Judiciary committee of the house of representatives. He was not a candidate for re-election. In 1910 he was elected to the office of circuit Judge for the twenty-first Judicial circuit for a term of six years and in 1916 was re-elected and is still serving in that office. His circuit consists of Jefferson, Washington, Iron, Wayne, and Reynolds counties. It was on the 4th of September, 1895, that Mr. Dearing was united in marriage to Miss Fanny Bust, a daughter of Robert. Bust who was born in England in 1834, came to America in 1855, and located in Washington county, Missouri, where he engaged in the milling business. He married Miss Lucy McGready, a daughter of Dr. James H. and Mary Ann (McClanathan) McGready. Mrs. Dearing was born ' September 25, 1868, and died at her home in Potosi on January 26, 1921, of heart failure. The business was founded by a relative, Robert Hornsey, and was in possession of the family until his death in 1897. It is one of the oldest mills in the vicinity and for many years was run by water power. The father of Robert Bust was Joseph Bust, a native of England. Pour children were born to Judge and Mrs. Dearing: Elizabeth, who received her education in the Potosi high school, Stephen's College at Columbia, Maryville College at Maryville, Tennessee, and is now residing at home; one child who died in infancy; Will Bust, attending the University of Missouri and preparing to enter the legal profession; and Lucy Beatrice, attending the Potosi schools. Judge Dearing has always been a stanch supporter of the democratic party and the principles for which it stands. In its interests he has taken an active part and has served on many of the party committees. He was a delegate to the famous Baltimore convention in 1912 which nominated Woodrow Wilson for president. Fraternally he is a Mason, being a member of Blackwell Lodge, No. 535, at Blackwell, Consistory No. 1 of St. Louis, and has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite. The religious faith of the family is that of the Baptist church. As a prominent and progressive citizen, Judge Dearing is interested in the development and improvement of his community, and in the financial affairs he takes an active part, being a director in the Bank of Potosi. He has always been a stanch advocate of education and to this end has been a member of the board of education for a number of years. In connection with his profession he has membership in the American and Missouri State Bar Associations and he has been president of the bar association of his Judicial circuit. He finds recreation in hunting and fishing, in which sports he is proficient, and he is also interested in farming. He owns land near Potosi which he cultivates and which is considered one of the finest farms in that section of the county. Judge Dearing is a representative of Missouri's most progressive citizens and during the World war he took an active part in all local affairs, being chairman of the Fourth Liberty loan drive, the Red Cross Association and was a Four Minute man. (Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921. Contributed by L. Rodriguez)
Lynn W. Garrett, Jr.
Lynn W. Garrett, cashier of the Citizens County Bank of Des Loge, was born September 14, 1891, at Potosi, Missouri, the son of Lynn Wesley Garrett, a resident of Belgrade, Washington county, Missouri, where he is engaged in farming. He is a native of Abington, Washington county, Virginia, born May 9, 1864. His father was Aaron Thomas Garrett, a native of Ireland, who came to the United States when he was a young man and settled In North Carolina, later moving to Virginia. He became a prosperous farmer, and later removed to Washington county, Missouri, where he bought a farm and lived until the time of his death. L. W. Garrett, Sr., came to Missouri about 1870 and held the position of sheriff and collector of Washington county from 1888 to 1892. He is a stanch supporter of the democratic party and fraternally he is a member of the Masons, in which lodge he is very prominent. The mother of Lynn W. Garrett was Sarah Leonora Hughes, who passed away in 1902. She was a native of Washington county, Missouri, the daughter of Alexander Hughes, who was a gallant soldier In the Confederate army, and was killed in the battle of Shiloh. He was of Scotch Irish ancestry and was a native of North Carolina. Lynn W. Garrett was educated in the common schools of Washington county until he was about twelve years of age when he attended the Potosi high school, after which he obtained a position in the Potosi Bank as assistant cashier when but sixteen years of age. He remained there until 'December, 1914, when he moved to Des Loge and became cashier of the Citizens Bank, a position which he still holds. He is now one of the directors. The bank was chartered in August, 1907, with a capital stock of ten thousand dollars, and now has fifteen thousand dollars of surplus and undivided profits. The resources have now reached over four hundred thousand dollars. The year 1919 showed a gain of over one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. When Mr. Garrett first took charge of the bank it showed total resources of fifty-five thousand dollars - a record not surpassed in the state. Mr. Garrett was married December 14, 1915, to Lena C. Williams, the daughter of Doyle Williams, who was connected with the Missouri Pacific Railroad and was killed by a train at Carondolet. Mr. and Mrs. Garrett are the parents of one child, Jane Williams Garrett. Mr. Garrett is a member of the Presbyterian church and is treasurer and one of the church trustees. Fraternally he is a Mason, a member of Ionic Lodge, No. 154, of which he is past master. He is likewise a Royal Arch Mason, of Mel Chapter, No. 129, of Bonne Terre and belongs to Hiram Council, No. 1, R. & S. M.; DeSoto Commandery, No. 56, K. T.; Missouri Consistory No. 1 of St. Louis, thus attaining the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite. He is a member of Moolah Temple of the Mystic Shrine at St. Louis, and is worthy patron of Eastern Star Chapter, No. 260, of Des Loge. He also has membership in Leadville Lodge. No. 511, I. O. O. F., and Des Loge Lodge, No. 266, K. P. He gives his political support to the democratic party although he has never been a candidate for any office. Mr. Garrett has made good use of his opportunities. He has prospered from year to year and has conducted all business matters carefully and successfully and in all his acts displays an aptitude for successful management. He has not permitted the accumulation of a competence to affect in any way his actions toward those less successful than he and has always a cheerful word and pleasant smile for all with whom he comes in contact. (Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. IV, Published 1921. Contributed by L. Rodriguez)
James T. Hunter
James T. Hunter, who is now conducting an active and profitable livery business at Rifle, Garfield county, has had a varied and interesting career in the West and has profited by his experiences, learning much of the best business methods for this portion of the land and of the men who live and labor in it. He was born February 25, 1834, in Washington county, Missouri, where his father, John A. Hunter, a native of Virginia, was an early settler, and his mother, whose maiden name was Martha A. Talbott, was a native. The father in his early manhood was a merchant. Then for a number of years he was a miller on the Missouri river, and the latter portion of his life was devoted to farming. Politically he supported the Republican party and fraternally was connected with the Masonic order. Both he and his wife were strict Baptists in church relations. They had a family of eight children, of whom but three are living, James T., Jennie E., wife of John Amouett, of Washington county, Missouri, and William T., a resident of the same county. Mr. Hunter’s educational advantages were limited. In 1849, when he was but sixteen, he accompanied his father on a trip to California in which they spent five months in driving a five-yoke bull team across the plains and mountains from St. Joseph, Missouri, to Hangtown, in the former state. There they were prosperously employed in placer mining until the first great flood experienced by the whites in that country swept everything away in 1852. The father then returned to Missouri and the son turned his attention to freighting between Stockton and the mines, continuing in this occupation with varying success until 1864. Then with two eight-mule teams he went to Idaho. After his arrival there he made a freighting expedition to Salt Lake City, and when he reached that place he determined to remain for awhile, and so started a livery business which he carried on until January 1, 1865, at which time he sold out to four Eastern speculators for a consideration of one thousand two hundred dollars and moved to Boise. The snow blocked the roads badly, but he succeeded in reaching his destination in fourteen days. Then finding the snow so bad all around him, he gave up the idea of returning and passed the winter in freighting between Boise and Idaho City. Returning to Salt Lake in the spring, he again engaged in the livery business and continued in it until his establishment was destroyed by fire. Hearing at this time of the White Pine gold excitement in the vicinity of Austin, he opened an eating house station thirty miles east of that town. This he conducted until the Union Pacific was built through the section, when he sold out and moved eighty miles farther east and started again in the same business, and in addition managed a toll road over Diamond mountain. About this time the Eureka mining camp opened up and Mr. Hunter became very busy supplying the miners with food. After the town was located he took up a ranch two miles and a half from the place and also invested in town lots which he afterward sold at a good profit. He started a livery business there and kept it going until 1872, when he returned to his Missouri home and gave his attention to farming in that state until the Lake City mining excitement broke out in this state. Then, with a carload of mules, he came to Colorado and located at Denver. He made a number of trips to Lake City and met with much success. Moving to Cheyenne, Wyoming, he freighted for a time between that town and Fort Fetterman, on the North Platte, after which he did hauling for the Red Cloud and Spotted Tail agencies. Next he took a contract for grading in the interest of the Colorado Central railroad in 1876, and had thirty teams at work. Later he sold his outfit to the railroad company and moved fifteen miles west of Denver, where he managed a ranch for his sister until 1885. In that year, with three hundred head of cattle and twenty horses, he moved to the Mam creek region in Garfield county and purchased of Emanuel and John Gant a squatter’s claim to one hundred and sixty acres of land, which he afterward increased to four hundred acres. He improved the ranch and on it conducted a thriving ranching and cattle industry until July 13, 1903, when he disposed of his interests to John A. Stephens, and since then he has been engaged in the livery business at Rifle. In political matters Mr. Hunter is independent and takes no special interest. On August 7, 1865, he was married to Miss Minnie A. Miller, a native of Iowa, the daughter of James and Rose Ann (Sharp) Miller, Pennsylvanians by birth, who settled in Iowa when they were young and after some years moved to Colorado. In 1864 they changed their residence to Salt Lake, and in 1866 to Nevada, where they conducted a hotel until they moved to California, where both died. Mr. and Mrs. Hunter have had eight children of whom Fannie, John, Robert, James, Olive and an infant have died, and John F. and Robert H are living, the latter in British Columbia. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Anna Parks)
Walter Wells Nail
Walter Wells Nail, clerk of the United States district court for the eastern district of Missouri, was born in Washington county, this state, June 15, 1859, and is a son of Greenbury Blackstone Nail, now deceased, who was a native of Kentucky and a representative of one of the old families of that state, while more remote ancestry lived in Virginia and came of French and Scotch lineage. Greenbury B. Nail was reared and educated in Kentucky and in 1862 became a resident of St. Louis but in 1863 removed to Washington county. He followed general mercantile pursuits there very successfully until 1868 when he established his home in Iron county and resided at Ironton to the time of his death which occurred in 1907 when he was seventy-seven years of age. He also followed merchandising at Ironton and in fact devoted his entire life to commercial pursuits. In early manhood he wedded Sally A. Wells who was born in Shelby county, Kentucky, and belonged to one of the old families of that state. Her father, George B. Wells, was a Confederate soldier who was killed during the Civil war. The death of Mrs. Nail occurred at Ironton, Missouri, in 1909, when she was sixty-seven years of age. By her marriage she had become the mother of five sons and three daughters, but only two are living, Walter Wells and H. A. Nail, the latter of Jefferson City, Missouri. Walter W. Nail pursued his education in Arcadia College of Iron county, Missouri, being there graduated in 1878. Both before and after leaving college he was employed in his father's store and when in 1878 his father was elected county clerk of Iron county the son served as his deputy. In 1887 he came to St. Louis and was appointed chief deputy United States marshal for the eastern district of Missouri, continuously and acceptably filling that office for twenty years or until the 1st of April, 1907, when he was appointed to his present position —that of United States district court clerk, in which capacity he has since served and by virtue of the length of his service he is the oldest executive in the United States custom house of St. Louis. The office of clerk of the United States district court requires familiarity with federal practice, promptness and exactness in the keeping of papers and records, strict integrity in the handling of money belonging to litigants and the government, courteous treatment of the public and great discretion in giving out information, all of which qualities Mr. Nail possesses in an eminent degree. His appointment to his present office came to him through Hon. David P. Dyer, who said: "Nothing can be said that will give a correct and faithful statement of his worth as officer, friend and citizen. There are few men as good and none any better. No dishonest dollar ever came to his hands and in all things he is accurate and faithful." At Ironton, Missouri, June 19, 1880, Mr. Nail was married to Miss Florence M. Sanner, a native of .Illinois and a daughter of Jacob and Margaret J. Sanner. They have become parents of five children, three sons and two daughters, who are with them in a pleasant home at No. 4122 Botanical avenue. Mr. Nail has always given his political endorsement to the democratic party. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum and the motive springs of his character are found in his religious belief which is evidenced in his membership in St. John's Methodist Episcopal church, South. (Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921. Contributed by L. Rodriguez)
Thomas S. White
White, Thomas S., merchant and legislator, was born August 8, 1826, in Knoxville, Tennessee, and died June 20, 1880, in Washington County, Missouri. His parents were Moses and Isabella (McNutt) White, and the family to which he belongs in the paternal line was one of the most distinguished in Tennessee. The founder of the Tennessee branch of the family was James White, who was born in Iredell County, North Carolina, in 1737, and died in Knoxville, Tennessee, in 1815. This worthy pioneer was a Revolutionary soldier who received his pay from North Carolina in a land warrant which he located, in the summer of 1787, on the northern bank of the Holston River, in Tennessee, near the mouth of the French Broad River, and there he erected a fort and founded a settlement. A treaty with the Cherokee Indians was made there in 1791, and about the same time it attracted the attention of Governor William Blount, who decided to make it the capital of the Southwest Territory. It was laid out in lots and named Knoxville. In 1793 the fort was threatened with attack from a body of 1,500 Cherokee Indians. In the absence of Governor Blount and General Sevier, White assumed command of the forty settlers and prepared for a desperate resistance, but the Indians were frightened away when they reached a point within eight miles of the settlement. Mr. White was a member of the Territorial Legislature, and one of the founders of the State of "Franklin," which afterward became the State of Tennessee. He afterward served as territorial delegate in Congress, and held other positions of trust. His son, Judge Hugh L. White, was one of the most distinguished jurists and statesmen of Tennessee: Judge White was appointed a justice of the Supreme Court of Tennessee when he was twenty-eight years of age, and held numerous other public positions prior to 1825, in which year he succeeded General Andrew Jackson, who had resigned, in the United States Senate. From that date until 1838, when he resigned, he was a distinguished member of the upper branch of the national legislature, and wielded an important influence in shaping the legislation and governmental policies of that period. In 1836 he was one of the three candidates pitted against Martin Van Buren for the presidency of the United States, General William Henry Harrison and Daniel Webster being the other two. The electoral votes of Tennessee and Georgia were cast for him at the ensuing election. The father of Thomas S. White was a brother of Judge White, and son of the founder of Knoxville. Thomas S. White was reared in Tennessee, and was educated at East Tennessee University, of Knoxville. About 1845 he came to Missouri, and engaged in merchandising in Washington County. He was also interested with his brother, James M. White, in lead-mining and smelting operations for a number of years, and at a later date conducted these enterprises on his own account. From the time he became a citizen of Missouri until his death he took a prominent part in developing the resources of the State, and was known as a man of fine business capacity and very superior executive ability. He served with distinction in the State Senate during the Civil War period, and for eight years afterward was county judge of Washington County. In politics he was a Democrat of the old Southern school, standing by his convictions under all circumstances, but recognizing always the political rights and privileges of others. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, an exemplary Christian gentleman and a useful churchman. Affiliating with the orders of Masons and Odd Fellows, he was a strict observer of the moral precepts and fraternal obligations of those orders, and aided as far as possible the extension of their usefulness. October 4, 1854, he married Miss Lucinda McIlvaine, daughter of Colonel Jesse McIlvaine, of Kentucky, and later of Missouri. Colonel McIlvaine was prominent as a farmer, and also in public affairs, and at different times represented Washington County in the Missouri House of Representatives and the State Senate. He died in 1869. [Source: Encyclopedia of the History of MissouriVolume 6: Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
by Genealogy Trails