As might be inferred from his name, the state game warden of Montana is of French descent, although he was born in New England, in the town of Worcester, Massachusetts on December 12, 1868. His father, Peter Avare, was born in Canada, of French parents. The date of his entrance into this life was 1823, and thirty-one years later he immigrated to Illinois, then rather a new state, although it had been sufficiently populated to be a member of the Union for thirty-six years. Mr. Avare did not remain in Illinois, but moved to Massachusetts and later into Connecticut, where he remained until his death in 1883 at the age of sixty. His wife, too, was of French Canadian stock, her parents being prosperous farmers of Canada. Her maiden name was Salina La Cosse, and at a very early age she changed this to Avare. Henry was the sixth of ten children to whom the mother was more than ordinarily devoted. The Avares were parents of the old-fashioned type. The father was a successful farmer and his wife a model mother and helpmeet. She continued to reside on the homestead in Connecticut until her death in 1896, being but sixty-five at the time she passed away. Both she and her husband were members of the Catholic Church, in which faith their children were reared.
Henry went to school in Worcester, and later in Stafford Springs, Connecticut. At eighteen he came to Montana and took up his residence in Butte, where he engaged in the lumber and timber business. This he followed from 1886 until 1890, when he sold out to give his attention to mining. He had discovered the Calumet mine near Butte. Mr. Avare operated this from 1890 until 1893 with excellent returns, but in 1893 came the great depression in business and the tremendous slump in silver. The manager of the Calumet concluded that wood was more to be desired than silver, so he again took up the timber business remaining in it for three more years.
In 1896, Mr. Avare was appointed deputy sheriff of Silver Bow County, and when he accepted this office he disposed of his stock of lumber. He was again put up by the democrats for this office at the close of his first term and again he received the appointment. In 1901 he was chosen deputy state game warden and served in this capacity until 1909. At the beginning of that year, the office of game warden became vacant, and Mr. Avare was appointed to fill the unexpired term. When the three months of his predecessor's time had expired, Mr. Avare was reappointed for a period of four years, and he is now engaged in discharging the duties of that responsible position.
Montana is a happy hunting grounds for devotees of the rod and gun from all parts of the United States, and the efficient work done by Mr. Avare will result in the reservation of the game for many years. He is a fearless officer and one who is not found wanting in the performance of any duty incident to his office. In addition to his public work, Mr. Avare holds responsible positions in several financial companies in which he is interested. He is vice president of the Butte and Georgetown Mining and Milling Company and director of the Butte Copper King Mining Company, and has stock in several other noted companies. Whether serving the public in office or in a commercial venture, Mr. Avare's work is characterized by the painstaking excellence which assures success.
On December 1, 1909, Mr. Avare was united in marriage to Miss Katherine Booth of Butte, Montana. There have been no children of this marriage. Mr. Avare belongs to the Elks and to the Lambs' Club of Helena. His work has taken him into all parts of the state and there, as in Helena, his sociability and his sterling qualities have won him esteem and popularity.
[Source: "The History of Montana" by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Submitted by Frances Cooley]
John Manning Barber.
A man who for more than twenty years or more has been closely identified with leading business activities in this city is Mr. John Manning Barber, manager of the Butte branch of the wholesale meat dealers of Anaconda, W. M. Montgomery Company. In addition to this commercial connection, Mr. Barber has also another claim to a position of influence in the community since he is deeply interested in civic and political affairs and is a potential factor in shaping the policy in public matters through his membership in the city council as duly elected alderman from his ward.
Mr. Barber is a descendant of an old Ohio family, and was born in Knox county of that state, February 12, 1866. His father, Clem Barber, was by occupation a farmer, and he died February 12, 1867, when John, the youngest of the family of three children, was less than a year old. His mother, who was before her marriage, Jane Baughman, survived her husband many years and died in Ohio, September 22, 1885. After availing himself of such school advantages as were possible at that time in the country districts of Knox county, Mr. Barber started out, a youth of sixteen years, to carve his own fortune. Leaving the farm home where he was reared he went to the city of Columbus, Ohio, and spent a year as clerk in the grocery store of C. B. Miller of that place. At the end of that time the opportunity presented itself to accompany a shipment of thoroughbred cattle to Texas for DeWeese & Strickland, large stock raisers of that state, and upon his arrival there he decided to remain for a time. Becoming interested in and informed concerning the fine qualities of stock for market, a year later he returned to Columbus and, in partnership with Plummer Merrit of that place, engaged in the purchase and sale of live stock for the Columbus market, carrying on a successful business in that line for three years. The call of the west again lured him, however, and his next venture in an independent business was made at Georgetown, Colorado, where he conducted a retail meat market until 1891. He proved himself a good business man, thrifty and industrious, but believing that in the northwest he would be able to do better than at his old location he disposed of the Georgetown market and in November, 1891, became a resident of Butte, Montana, at once identifying himself with its commercial life by engaging in the retail meat trade. He continued as an independent dealer until 1899, when he disposed of his market and the subsequent eighteen months was manager in Butte for Armour & Company, the well known meat packers. Having purchased stock in the firm of W. M. Montgomery Company, meat wholesalers with a large packing plant at Anaconda, Mr. Barber resigned his connection with Armour and assumed the position of manager of the Montgomery business, in Butte, and has had charge of this branch of the business continuously ever since. The Montgomery Company packing plant is reputed to be the
largest local establishment of its kind in the state. The prestige enjoyed by Mr. Barber both through his responsible commercial position and his official connection is of the most influential character and marks him as a leader in vital affairs that make for the advancement of the best interests of this city and state.
Mr. Barber was married at Helena, Montana, March 24, 1896, to Miss Lottie I. Cooper, daughter of Lucien Bonaparte Cooper, a native of Wisconsin.
[History of Montana, Volume 3, transcribed by C. Danielson]
Gideon E. Blackburn.
Influential as one of Butte's leading citizens, conspicuous as her most skillful homeopathic physician, noted as the founder of Blackburn Hospital, popular in extensive social circles and distinguished as a state legislator, was the late Dr. Gideon E. Blackburn, who is remembered with deep respect and regretted with sincerity. A review of his distinguished ancestry, his military experience and his professional career is therefore of especial interest.
His ancestral record was a matter of especial pride to Dr. Blackburn. His paternal progenitors, the Blackburns, and those of the maternal line of the Hoxey name represented families founded in the colonial era in Virginia. Among the former he numbered a great-grandfather who was a soldier of distinction in the War of the Revolution, in which he served as an officer under General Washington, from whom he received letters indicating the close association and intimate friendship of the two. Dr. Blackburn had in his possession a number of these communications and it is needless to say that he regarded them as heirlooms of high value. His maternal great-grandfather was also a Continental soldier of the Revolutionary war and records extant show that he served with special gallantry in the great struggle for independence. One of his grandfathers also was an officer of subordinate rank in the command of General Andrew Jackson in the Seminole Indian war and was on intimate terms with his commanding officer. The paternal grandfather of Dr. Blackburn was the Rev. Gideon Blackburn, who was a fine type of the old Virginian, a man of rare intellectual attainments and a distinguished clergyman of the Presbyterian church in Illinois. He it was who has endeared his name to posterity by the founding of Blackburn College, at Carlinville, Illinois.
Reverend Blackburn's son, Anderson M. Blackburn, married Miss Margaret Hoxey, thus mingling in his descendants the sterling traits of the latter Scotch family with the English characteristics of his own. On his farm near Jerseyville, Illinois, was born the son named Gideon, whose life has developed so much of worth and honor. His early education was that gathered from the public schools of the rural community which was then the Blackburn home. But his was the ability that goes hand in hand with ambition and he
sought the superior advantages of Yale University when he had prepared himself for admission to that institution. But before he had quite completed his prescribed course the outbreak of the Civil war was imminent. Gideon Blackburn forthwith subordinated all other interests that he might offer his aid in defense of the Union and it was his to maintain thus the military prestige of the honored name he bore. Leaving the college he returned to Illinois, where he enlisted in Company E, Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He lived up to the full tension of the great struggle between the North and the South, and participated in many important engagements, his services having been rendered principally under the command of General Grant, with whose volunteers he took part in the battles of Shiloh, Fort Donelson and Corinth, besides other engagements, in two of which he was severely wounded. On one occasion, he was captured by a party of Confederate guerrillas and for a day was subjected to severe tortures. He was finally sentenced to death on the following morning, but in the night he contrived to effect his escape and succeeded in reaching the Union lines. At another time he was halted by thirty-five Confederate soldiers, two of whom he shot with his revolver, after which he severely injured another of the party by a swinging blow from his weapon. Then, by giving rein to his horse, he made good his escape, in the midst of a fusillade of bullets. While in the army he won five successive promotions, in recognition of gallantry and efficient service, finally receiving the brevet rank of lieutenant colonel. He continued with his command until near the close of the war, when his health had become so
seriously impaired that he was obliged to resign his commission and was accorded an honorable discharge. During his period of study before going to the front he had devoted considerable time to the study of medical science, and in addition to his field service
he proved a valuable assistant in the performing of surgical operations and in caring for ill and wounded comrades.
Having recuperated his physical energies, Gideon Blackburn went to Pine Bluff, Arkansas, whence he later transferred his residence to Camden, in that state, engaging in the general merchandise business until 1870. In the meanwhile he had continued the study of medicine and in the year last mentioned he entered Pulte Medical College in Cincinnati, Ohio, one of the leading institutions of the Homeopathic school of practice.
Here he was graduated with the class of 1871 and received his professional degree of Doctor of Medicine. He was valedictorian of his class and was always thereafter a popular member of the alumni association of his alma mater.
Dr. Blackburn then established himself at Shreveport, Louisiana, for the practice of his profession, later removing to Galveston, Texas, and subsequently to Evanston, Wyoming, eventually adopting Montana as his home state and locating permanently in the city of
Butte. Here he has since maintained his home and built up a large and representative practice. Here he founded in 1892 the well equipped hospital which bears his name and of which he was the executive head. Here too he identified himself with important capitalistic and civic interests and with representative social circles, as well as with broader affairs co-extensive with the state and of even greater extent.
He has been connected with various mining enterprises and other important investments. He was a member of the directorate of the Independent Telephone Company; was both a director and the treasurer of the Butte Extension Mining Company; was a director of the Globe Mines Exploration Company and held the same office in the Butte & Elliston Copper Mining Company. He was furthermore a valued director of the Butte General Hospital. His affiliations with medical associations were naturally of the utmost importance to him in his connections with societies. The leading social organizations of Butte nevertheless claimed a part of his attention and he was therefore a prominent member of the Masonic order, of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and of the Silver Bow and University clubs.
These prominent and manifold interests, numerous and important as they were, did not crowd out of the doctor's life his interest in politics and public affairs of a practical nature. He gave loyal allegiance to the Democratic party and was ever alive to the
legislative welfare of his adopted state. In November of 1910 he was elected to represent Silver Bow county in the state legislature. In this office his service was marked by broad-minded progressiveness and by an earnest desire to further the best interests of the commonwealth of Montana and its people. He was made chairman of the committee of appropriations and was also assigned to other important committees, in each of which his counsel and service proved valuable.
Dr. Blackburn was married in 1871 to Miss Cinderella E. Mahoney of Pine Bluff, and to their union were born four children, Daisy, Idah, Charles and Flora. Domestic troubles resulted in a dissolution of this marriage in 1889 at Evanston, Wyoming. He was again married in 1893 at Butte, Montana, shortly after taking up his residence in that city, to Miss Hannah Aiton, formerly a resident of St. Peter, Minnesota. This marriage proved a very happy one and contributed much to the success of Dr. Blackburn's life in Montana.
They established their home at Butte, Montana, and lived there continuously to the date of the doctor's death, and the widow still continues to reside there at the date of this writing.
It was not generally known among Dr. Blackburn's friends that he was in ill health. The shock of the news of his sudden death, on March 24, 1912, was therefore most keenly felt throughout the city of Butte. From the editorial comment of the Butte Miner we quote the estimate of his townsmen on the "long, honored and very useful career" of this "well-known physician, prominent citizen and active participant in state affairs," whose important capacities were therein reviewed just after his death. "Always genial, wide awake to all affairs of the day and of a disposition that made him many friends, the good doctor will be greatly missed by those who knew him. ... In the twelfth legislative session of Montana, Dr. Blackburn worked hard, conscientiously and effectively. His years of residence in Butte made him personally known to many of his fellow townsmen. His demise takes from Butte's citizenship a most estimable man."
[History of Montana, Volume 3, 1913, transcribed by C. Danielson]
Dominic G. Bertoglio
Dominic G. Bertoglio is another of Butte's capitalists who was born in Italy. His father, John Bertoglio, was born in the same country, in 1837, his family being farmers and for many generations the owners of the estate upon which Mary Bono Bertoglio, the widow of John and the mother of Dominic Bertoglio still lives. The father was a railroad builder and contractor, and retired when past middle life from active participation in business with a competence. Dominic G. Bertoglio was born at Pia Monte, on April 21, 1872, received his education in the public schools of Italy, and his father expected him to settle on the ancestral farm, in his fatherland. But to the young boy the crude new country where everything was in the process of making, instead of being all complete, appealed much more strongly than the prospect of becoming a landholder in beautiful Italy, and so at the age of sixteen he sailed for America, and upon landing made his way to Ironwood, Michigan, and across the river to Hurley, Wisconsin, where he went to work in the mines, being the youngest miner in that entire section.
Mr. Bertoglio was employed in these camps until 1891, when the mines shut down, and there followed a panic, and consequently a cut in wages. At this juncture. Mr. Bertoglio decided to go west, and so left for Tombstone, Arizona, and until January, 1892, worked there and at Prescott and Bisbee. From Arizona he came to Butte, and for two years worked in the mines here. He was twenty-one years old when he had saved up a capital of $160, and he and another miner decided to open a general store in Meaderville, a suburb of Butte. They were successful from the very start, and a few months later A. C. Grosso became a partner, which continued ten years, when Mr. Bertoglio Dought out Mr. Grosso's interests. The business continued to be not merely a paying concern, but a money making investment, which was a source, of fortune to its owners. Mr. Bertoglio bought out his associate at the end of their decade of experience as partners, and since that time has conducted his store alone.
In the meantime he had been investing his surplus capital in enterprises of various sorts. In addition to his interests in the Bertoglio Mercantile Company and the firm of Bertoglio & Smith, he is one of the incorporators of the Spokane Telephone Company, holds stock in the National Life Insurance Company of Montana, in the Tivoli Brewing Association of Butte, in the Marconi Wireless Company, and the Patent Plow Point Company, whose foundry is located at Detroit, Michigan. In the last-mentioned corporation he is one of the directors and is vice-president of the company. These holdings, together with some valuable mining properties which he owns in Butte, bring his fortune into the hundreds of thousands.
In November, 1893, Mr. Bertoglio was married to Miss Mary Grosso of Butte. Two children have been born of this union, John, born in 1898, is a student at Gonzaga College, in Spokane, and is now in his senior year. James, born September 1, 1905, is attending school in Meaderville, where the family reside.
Mr. Bertoglio is a member of the Elks' lodge and also of the Odd Fellows. He belongs to the Roman Catholic church. His grandfather, James Bono, was influential in ecclesiastical circles in Italy. Politically Mr. Bertoglio supports the Republican party and was the candidate of that body for the legislature in 1903, but was defeated. His favorite diversions are hunting and fishing, and he devotes a great deal of time to these occupations. He enjoys a wide popularity in a varied circle of acquaintances, and is one of the best known of Butte's solid, financial citizens.
[Source: "The History of Montana" by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Sub. by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
Olive V. Brasier, M. D.
Olive V. Brasier, M. D. Actively engaged in the practice of the profession which she loves, and in which she is fast winning a reputation for skill and ability. Olive V. Brasier, M. D., of Butte, is meeting with well-deserved success in her career. A daughter of Robert T. Brasier, she was born, May 14, 1886, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She comes of English ancestry on the paternal side, her grandfather, Robert Brasier, having been a life-long resident of England.
Born at Hastings, England, in 1849, Robert T. Brasier was there brought up and educated. At the age of twenty years he crossed the Atlantic, and in search for fortune located in Canada. Coming from there to Montana in 1887, he lived first in Helena, but for several years past has been in business in Butte, where he is a well-known contractor. He married Mary Muirhead, who was born in Hamilton, Ontario, in 1851, where her father, William Muirhead, settled on coming from Scotland, the country of his birth, to America. Five children blessed their union, namely: William, born in Toronto, Canada, in 1882, is now manager of a manufacturing concern in Butte; Olive V., the subject of this brief biographical sketch; Walter, a ranchman, born in Helena, Montana, in 1888 ; Charley, attending the Butte high school, was born in Helena in 1892; and Mary, the oldest child, who married Harry Kitto, of Denver. Colorado, editor of the Denver Post, has two children, Olive and Genevieve.
Having completed her early education in the public schools, Olive V. Braiser entered the medical department of the University of California, and was there graduated with the class of 1906, by thorough study earning the degree of M. D. Returning then to Montana, Dr: Brasier began practice at Elkhorn. remaining there eight months. Coming to Butte in 1908, she has here acquired a good practice, her patronage being large, and bearing evidence of her skill, ability, and popularity as a physician.
The doctor keeps well informed in regard to all the advances made in the medical science, and is a member of various organizations, including the Montana State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association. She also belongs to the Silver Bow Medical Society. [Source: the History of Montana by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Submitted by Friends for Free Genealogy]
Don Calder is an old and prominent resident of Butte, where he has maintained his home and business headquarters since 1889. He holds prestige as being the second oldest merchant tailor in Butte or Montana and has occupied his present place of business for the past eighteen years. Mr. Calder was born in the parish of Creisch, Sutherlandshire, Scotland, the date of his nativity being the 26th of December, 1867. He is a son of Alexander and Catherine (Murray) Calder, the former of whom is deceased. The father passed his entire life in the land of hills and heather and he was a farmer by occupation. The paternal grandfather of the subject of this review was Don. Calder,' a soldier in the English army and a participant in the War of 1812, he having been present at the British surrender at New Orleans, on January 8, 1815.
To the public schools of his native place Don Calder is indebted for his rudimentary educational training. As a young man he entered upon an apprenticeship at the tailor's trade and after he had reached his legal majority he immigrated to America, coming to this country in 1888. After a short sojourn in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, he came to Butte, where he at once engaged in business for himself and where he has achieved a most remarkable success as a merchant tailor. He is decidedly progressive and turns out his work in accordance with the very latest eastern styles. While Mr. Calder does not take an active part in public affairs, he is ever on the alert to do all in his power to advance progress and improvement and in politics he gives his support to the Democratic party. He is affiliated with the Scottish Rite branch of Masonry, and has attained to th; Knight Templar degree, and is also a valued and appreciative member of the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is connected with the St. Andrew's Society and is president of the Butte branch of that prominent organization.
At his native parish in Scotland, in the year 1897, Mr. Calder was united in marriage to Miss Jane Chisholm, likewise a native of Sutherlandshire, Scotland, whence she returned to America in 1897 with her husband. [Source: "The History of Montana" by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Submitted by Friends of Free Genealogy]
Well known not only as one of the more progressive and enterprising citizens of Butte, but for his activity in the public and social circles of the city, Eugene Carroll is eminently worthy of special mention in a work of this character, and it is with pleasure that we place a brief resume of the more salient points of his life before our readers. A son of the late Robert W. Carroll, he was born, April 7, 1861, in Cincinnati, Ohio, of honored Irish ancestry. Thomas Carroll, M. D., the founder of that branch of the Carroll family from which he is sprung, came to the United States in colonial days from Ireland. He subsequently settled as a physician in Ohio, and there spent the remainder of his life.
Robert W. Carroll, a life-long resident of Ohio, was a lawyer of note and ability in Cincinnati, where he was engaged in the practice of his profession until his death, December 17, 1897. He married Mary Arabella Pratt, who was born in Ohio and is now living in New York City. She was of English and French ancestry, and of Revolutionary stock, and is now a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Obtaining his early education in the public schools of Cincinnati, Eugene Carroll entered the United States Naval Academy, from which he was graduated in the class of 1881. He remained in the navy two years longer, and on resigning, in 1883, took up the civil engineering profession, which he still follows and in which he is an expert. Locating at Butte, Montana, in 1891, Mr. Carroll, as superintendent and chief engineer of the Butte Water Company, built the water works system of Butte, and is now general manager of the Water Works Company's affairs.
A wide-awake member of the Republican party, Mr. Carroll takes an intelligent interest in local, state, and national affairs. He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, and a member and ex-president of the Montana Society of Engineers. He likewise belongs to the Navy League of the United States. Socially, Mr. Carroll is past president of the Silver Bow Club ; and is also a member of the Country Club of Butte, and the Montana Club of Helena. Fraternally, he is a Knight Templar Mason and a member of the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine.
Mr. Carroll married, in Butte, Montana, March 21, 1895, Mary S. Napton, who was born at Deer Lodge, that state, a daughter of Thomas L. and Anna (Chadwick) Napton.
[Source: "The History of Montana" by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Transcribed by Cathy Danielson]
William Edward Carroll.
For more than twenty years a resident of Butte, and now one of the leading lawyers of the state of Montana, William Edward Carroll has been a very welcome and highly appreciated addition to the population of the commonwealth and especially to that of the city of his home. He has shown in many ways and on all occasions his earnest interest in the welfare of the commonwealth and its people, and as they have found him worthy of their confidence and esteem, they have bestowed their regard on him without stint, and have manifested it in tangible and substantial ways.
Mr. Carroll is a native of Independence, Missouri, where he came into being on December 24, 1868. When he was three years old the family moved to Olathe, Kansas, where it remained until 1881, then returned to Independence. In 1891 William came to Butte, Montana, and here he has ever since had his home. He is a son of Rev. Alanson and Mary F. (Murch) Carroll, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Vermont. The father was a Presbyterian clergyman, and was educated and prepared for the ministry in his native state, completing his education at the Western Reserve University. He died in Independence, Missouri, on August 17, 1908, and his remains were buried in Olathe, Kansas. The mother is still living and has her home with one of her daughters in Independence, Missouri. They were the parents of three sons and two daughters, William Edward being the fourth in line.
William E. Carroll obtained his academic education in the public schools of Olathe, Kansas, and Independence, Missouri, and at the high school in Kansas City, that state. He prepared himself for the practice of law in the law department of the University of Michigan, from which he was graduated in the class of 1890. Since coming to Butte he has been continuously engaged in the practice of his profession, with an ever increasing business and a steadily growing reputation.
In early life his circumstances were very moderate and he did whatever he could find to do to make a little money for his needs. Mr. Carroll is, as has been noted, one of the leading lawyers of the state. He is also one of its strong campaigners in political contests, and always takes a prominent part in them. He is a loyal and devoted member of the Republican party, and his fealty to it is based on firm faith in its principles and theories of government. At the time of this writing (1912) he holds no official position, but from 1907 to 1909 he was assistant city attorney of Butte, and his services in that office were rated as of great value by the people of the city of all classes.
For a number of years Mr. Carroll has been a member of the Masonic order, belonging to Mount Moriah Lodge, No. 24, in Butte, and has been enthusiastic and highly serviceable in his work in the fraternity. He served two years as worshipful master of his lodge, 1897 to 1899, and has also been junior grand deacon of the Grand Lodge of the state. The other fraternities m which he holds membership are the Modern Woodmen of America and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, belonging to the lodge of each which works in. Butte but being known in all throughout the state.
On September 27, 1894, Mr. Carroll was married to Miss Anna Martin, a daughter of James T. and Margaret (Corby) Martin, of Butte, where the marriage was solemnized. Three children have been born to the union: Helen, whose life began on December 9, 1896; Chauncey M., who was born on August 8, 1901 ; and Charles R., who came into- being on December 12, 1902. They are all living and attending school from the parental home, and all are worthy examples of the estimable traits of character of their parents and fine fruits of good training in the family circle.
James T. Martin, the father of Mrs. Carroll, was a native of England but lived in Montana many years. He was a mechanic and worked at his trade in times of peace. But when the Civil war raged in our afflicted country, he became a soldier in defense of the Union. He died in Truth, Massachusetts, December 5, 1909, where his widow now resides. Uprightness in conduct, zeal for the good of their home community and genuine interest in the welfare of the people living around them have marked the lives of both, and wherever they have lived they have always been most highly esteemed.
[Source: "The History of Montana" by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Transcribed by Cathy Danielson]
John Franklin Case
One can scarcely think of the northwest and the Pacific coast states without there entering the mind also a vision of rich metals and ores, and especially gold, silver and copper, so important a part has the mining industry been in the development and up building of the whole section. And among the mining centers of the country none stands out with more prominence than does Butte, Montana, where exists such untold wealth of precious metals. Some of the most prominent and influential citizens of the community are the managers of the various mines and mining properties of this section, and in this list the name of John Franklin Case, superintendent of the Elm Orlu mine, belonging well to the head.
Mr. Case has all his life been in close touch with mining matters, has lived in some of the richest producing centers of the country, and through his own efforts has attained his present enviable position in the ranks of those actively engaged in pursuing the mining industry. His father, Isaac Case, who was a native of Rockland, Maine, went to California in 1852, making the long, tedious trip by the Isthmus route, and was for a number of years engaged in placer mining operations in that state. Later he removed to Nevada, where for many years he was a freighter, and was at Virginia City during the great excitement over the discovery of the great gold mines there. He died at Austin, Nevada, in 1882, at the age of fifty-two.
Mr. Case was born in Indian valley, Yuba County, California, October 10, 1859, the third member of a family of six children. He was left motherless at the age of seven years and in the Golden state his mother, who was born at Belfast, Maine, lies buried. When he was ten years old the family moved to Austin, Nevada, and an incident which helps Mr. Case to remember his age at that time being his employment by a party of surveyors enabling him to earn the first dollar he ever received in wages. He worked in the silver mills at Austin for a couple of years after reaching the age of his majority, but subsequently secured employment in the mines and has ever since been identified with the industry. Twenty years ago Mr. Case was employed in a minor capacity at what is now known as the Elm Orlu Mine, then a silver property, but during the past five years he has been superintendent of this mine, during which time the entire new equipment has been installed. This is now a copper and zinc property.
It was on June 16, 1886, that he first became a citizen of Butte, and since that date he has been continuously connected with mining interests here, achieving his present influential position as a result of his fine executive ability, personal integrity and keen business talents. He is a man of independent thought and action, is nonpartisan in political matters and is always ready to give the weight of his influence to furthering the best interests of the city in a social and civic way. In social circles he is a leader and fraternally he is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, having been a member of that lodge for nearly thirty years.
[Source: "The History of Montana" by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Transcribed by Frances Cooley]
Alexander S. Christie.
The business contingent of Butte, Montana, is recruited from all over the world, some of the city's shrewdest and most substantial commercial leaders being natives of other countries than the United States. One of the highly respected adopted citizens of this land whose business operations are extensive and of a high-class character, is Alexander S. Christie, who for seventeen years maintained a retail jewelry store at the northeast corner of Main and Park streets, and now occupies larger and more beautiful quarters with his rich and extensive stock of goods at No. 20 North Main street, this being the largest retail establishment of the kind in the state of Montana.
Mr. Christie is a native of Portsoy, Banffshire, Scotland, where he was born October 13, i860, a member of a family of twelve children, his parents having been John and Jane (Simons) Christie, both of whom lived and died in Scotland. The father was born in 1819 and the mother in 1823. They sent their son to the public schools for his education until he arrived at the age of fourteen, when he was apprenticed to learn the trade of jeweler, five years being consumed in that task. After working for a year as a journeyman jeweler in Scotland, Mr. Christie decided to seek larger opportunities in the United States, and arrived in America in August, 1881. He chose Marion, Kansas, as the point of destination immediately after landing, and it was in that city that he made his first American business venture. The enterprise was successful from the first, Mr. Christie being a well educated workman and thoroughly acquainted with the intricacies of the jewelry business, and he continued to conduct his store at Marion for ten years. During the latter part of that period of time he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, James D. Leys. Mr. Leys in 1888 went to Butte and opened up a store here and carried on business under the firm name of Leys Jewelry Company, which name has ever since been retained. From the time of the first establishment of the business it was one of the three leading emporiums of the city, but its managers long since enlarged the business and left their competitors behind, Leys being now the largest of any similar store in this state.
In 1891 Mr. Christie disposed of his Kansas store and removed to Butte. The business in that city had grown to such proportions as to demand great expansion, and Mr. Christie as once assumed an active part in its management upon arrival there. In 1897 the company decided to enlarge its operations to include the wholesale trade, and in furtherance of this plan Mr. Leys went to New York City, opened up the firm's headquarters at No. 65 Nassau street, and has continuously been in charge of that end of the business since that year. The conduct of the store at Butte has been entirely in the hands of Mr. Christie, whose able management has been a large contributory factor in the continual growth and unbroken success of the business throughout the years of its establishment.
The marriage of Mr. Christie took place in New York City at the Church of the Stranger, in August, 1887, when Miss Agnes Shepard Leys, a daughter of David Leys, and a native of Scotland, became his wife. Three children were born of this union. The oldest son, Collin Leys, who was born at Marion, Kansas, August 13, 1888, resides in New York City, and is a traveling representative for the New York branch of his father's business. Gladys was born at Marion, Kansas, December 31, 1890, and Alexander was born in Butte, October 10, 1893.
Mr. Christie is recognized as a leading citizen of Butte and one who is actively interested in every project that has for its object the promotion of the best interests of the city or state. Politically, he believes in the principles of the Republican party, but he is not an enthusiastic participant in partisan affairs. He is associated in membership with several of the leading lodges, including the Knights Templars, Shriners, and Silver Bow Lodge No. 48 of the Masonic order, being a past master of the last named. He is also secretary of the Masonic Temple Association board.
Mr. Christie has, by his own unaided efforts, succeeded in accumulating considerable wealth and, besides the jewelry business, is financially interested in the Haskins Drug Company of Butte, the Silver Bow National Bank, of which he is director, and in the ownership of extensive mining enterprises. He is a man of high moral principles, unimpeachable personal integrity, liberal and progressive in his attitude on public questions, and is held in high esteem by a host of friends and acquaintances throughout this section of the state.
[Source: "The History of Montana" by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Transcribed by Cathy Danielson]
Judge William Clancy.
A distinguished jurist, now living retired at Butte, whose career in public and professional work reflects great credit upon his intellect and his character, is Judge William Clancy, who has recently served for eight years on the bench of the Second judicial district of Montana. In military and legal life, in political journalism, as well as in his legal capacity, Mr. Clancy has an enviable record, which it is
of special interest to peruse.
Judge Clancy's keenness of mind may be in part attributed to his Irish ancestry, for both his parents, David Clancy and Ellen (Hennessy) Clancy were born in Ireland, the father in County Cork. The father was sixteen years of age and the mother fifteen, at the time of immigration to America, and their marriage took place in Somerset, Perry county, Ohio, and there William Clancy was born, May 30, 1842. His father was a canal and railway contractor for many years and later occupied himself in agricultural pursuits in Knox county, Missouri, where his death occurred in 1878. Mrs. Clancy lived to a rather wonderful old age, having very nearly reached her ninety-sixth birthday at the time of her death in 1898. Of the five sons and one daughter of David and Ellen Hennessey, all are deceased except one or two, at the present date.
The public schools of the state of Ohio provided the earliest educational opportunities of William Clancy. He was yet a young boy when he mastered the three years' course of Carey College, at Sidney, Ohio. When he was but fifteen years three months of age, his parents with their children moved to Missouri, where the young sons joined their father in the clearing of their farm of three hundred and ninety-one acres. From a wilderness they transformed it into a beautiful and fertile farm, and the experience was one not without its
value to the future barrister and jurist in its development, even in a manual way, of his executive ability. It was not long, however, before his pursuit of either industrial or educational success was overshadowed in importance by his duty to the nation.
When the imminience of a bitter struggle for the unity of this country became an assured fact, William Clancy was one of the first to enlist as a volunteer in her service. In August, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company E, Fiftieth Regiment, Missouri Cavalry, for
nine months' service, and at the end of that time he enlisted in Company K. Second Missouri Cavalry, with which he was engaged until November 15, 1863, when he was discharged at Hannibal, Missouri. He participated in scouting duty through Missouri and Arkansas for that length of time.
Still determined to complete his general education and to pursue a professional course, young Clancy found means of doing so, despite the need of depending on his own endeavors for support in the interim. He presently entered St. Paul's College at Palmyra, Missouri, from which he was graduated two years later. Thus equipped, he prepared to read law. In the office of M. C. Hawkins, a prominent attorney of Canton, Missouri, he spent two years of study mastering the multiplicity of legal technicalities, situations and methods of procedure, which every successful lawyer must thoroughly know. At Monticello, Missouri, he was admitted to the bar of that state on November 8, 1868.
In Edina, Knox county, of the same state he began the practice of his profession. Here his superior ability, his convincing sincerity and his deeply personal loyalty to his clients soon won him a large and important clientele and it was not long before he was recognized as a leading attorney in Edina and the surrounding country. One of the honors which came to him here was his tenure of the office of judge of special court. Not long after, he was elected by popular vote to the office of county attorney. The large majority conceded him in this election clearly demonstrated the fact that William Clancy was persona grata in his own right, rather than as a party representative. The people at large recognized his unflinching honesty in interpreting conditions not always clear to others or of a nature to cause them to fear any action toward exposing or interfering with public abuses on the part of officials. He has long been remembered for his splendid service in dauntlessly bringing to public view a cabal of corrupt officials in Knox county, who were improperly using school and county funds entrusted to their care. Their private and unlawful enrichment ceased as a result of the Judge's fearlessness and public appreciation of his service in this regard was made known in an unmistakable manner.
The political affiliations of Judge Clancy was for many years Democratic and his party journalism during his residence in Edina was of a very effective sort. At that time he was editor and originator of the Knox County Democrat and in his hands it was an influence of not a little importance in political affairs. It is still published as the organ of county Democracy in that locality of Missouri. Mr. Clancy's political alliance has ever been a matter of rational conviction. He does not believe that truth, political or otherwise, is necessarily fixed and unchanging. In the year 1892, therefore, he adopted the tenets of the Populist party, the theories and motives of which he strongly espoused.
On July fourteenth, 1893, Judge Clancy became a resident of Butte, where he has ever since been a citizen of importance and a man of public worth. He opened a law office in this city and was speedily recognized as one of the ablest members of the Silver Bow
county bar. His popularity grew rapidly and after three years of residence and legal practice in the city he was asked to accept the Populist nomination for judge of the district-the second. At the election, in 1896, he was the successful candidate. At the conclusion of his term he had been a second time elected, this time with the large plurality of 1,388 votes. After eight years of distinguished service in this capacity, the judge retired, having won the highest regard of the people for his wise litigation in all cases, some of these being among the most important mining cases ever brought before the courts of the United States. His impartiality, his fairness, his intuitive grasp of the necessary and leading points of any given case, his strong handling of every situation, all have contributed to the high estimate accorded his judicial talent and his judicial conscience. The judge is unmarried and in spite of the absence of domestic ties he is the recipient nevertheless of a warm regard on the part of all who know him and understand his rare personality, that lacks no quality of affection as well as pride. He is a member of
Lincoln Post No. 2, of the Grand Army of the Republic. Judge Clancy is a devout churchman, being a faithful member of the Roman Catholic church.
[History of Montana, Volume 3, 1913, transcribed by C. Danielson]
J. Ross Clark
CLARK, J. ROSS, Banking and Railroading, Los Angeles, California is a native of Connellsville, Pennsylvania, born April 10, 1850. His father was John Clark and his mother Mary (Andrews) Clark. He married Miriam A. Evans on April 16, 1878, at Butte, Montana. There were two children, Ella H., now Mrs. Henry C. Lee, and Walter M. Clark, who died a hero with the sinking of the Titanic, refusing to take a place in the lifeboats while any women or children remained on the vessel.
Mr. Clark attended the public schools of Penna., concluding with a course in the Academy of Bentonsport, IA.
When Mr. Clark grew up his position, environments and opportunities were far different than those of the young men of today. Towards the setting sun stretched that vast country known to Americans as the Great West. It was indeed to be a Greater West, for it was just entering on that phenomenal period of growth that has had no equal in the history of the world. It was young, wild and undeveloped. The Indians had not yet been subdued, the vast mineral deposits lay untouched, unlimited timber tracts stretched away toward the mountains and the thousand and one industries that were later to add to the wealth and power of the country were unknown. Mr. Clark decided to try his fortunes there and, leaving Iowa in 1871, went directly to Montana, then one of the most rugged, yet wealthy, regions of the West. He went into business in the vicinity of Butte, Montana, with his brother, Senator William A. Clark, who had preceded him to Montana by several years. It was a hard struggle in those days. There were no railroads; stages being the only means of transportation known in those wilds. It took the strongest kind of character, courage and persistency to face the trials which confronted the pioneer, but all through the years that followed, Mr. Clark, determinate, remained in that country, and its history is linked largely with his success.
Between the years 1871 and 1893, Mr. Clark was engaged in banking and mining throughout the Montana district, being closely associated with his brother in many of the largest copper mining enterprises of the Northwest. In 1876, the same year in which General Custer fought his battle on the Little Big Horn River, the Clarks established a private bank at Butte, Montana, which financial institution is still in operation.
Mr. Clark became heavily interested in numerous mineral deals, in the building of smelters and in other industries adapted to the Montana country. He was identified with every great move for the development of that State as well as with the neighboring territories; with the founding of cities, construction of railroads, organization of territorial government, and in fact his work is part of the history of Montana.
In 1892 he moved to Los Angeles, where he saw an immense field for operation, and where his family could live amid more beautiful surroundings. Mr. Clark’s record in Southern California has been as brilliant as it was in Montana, and he has shared in the development of Los Angeles to a high degree. In 1896 he built the Los Alamitos sugar factory in Southern California, which he managed for several years. He later turned this business over to his son, who managed it during the remainder of his life.
As vice president of the Salt Lake Railroad, of which his brother, the Senator, is the principal genius, Mr. Clark has made a conspicuous success. He is also a liberal philanthropist and aids many worthy institutions. Perhaps his most generous assistance was rendered when the Young Men's Christian Association of Los Angeles was in severe straits. Ever ready and willing to put his shoulder to the wheel, Mr. Clark took charge of the destines of the association, and after a long, hard campaign for new life, new home and new funds, he put the association in the position it occupies today — a splendid institution, with branches in all parts of the city, engaged in a wonderful work.
He is deeply interested in many Southern California corporations, is Vice President of the Los Alamitos Sugar Company and is a Director and Vice President of the Citizens' National Bank of Los Angeles. He is identified with many of the larger movements for a Greater Los Angeles and has played the part of a distinguished factor in the growth of the Southwest. He is a member of the California, the Jonathan and Sierra Madre Clubs, the Bohemian Club of San Francisco and the Silver Bow Club of Butte, Montana.
[Being The Portraits and Biographies of the Progressive Men of the West, Press Reference Library, 1915 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Frank H. Cooney
A successful and eminently progressive young man, whose career in the past few years has been intimately connected with the development of Butte, is Frank H. Cooney, president of the Cooney Brokerage Company, which was organized in 189J. as Cooney Bros, and incorporated in 1896 as Cooney Brokerage Company.
This company represents the leading manufacturers throughout the country and does an annual business of over $3,000,000.
Mr. Cooney was born in Norwood, Ontario, Canada, December. 31, 1872. His father, John W. Cooney, was a native of New York State. His mother, whose maiden name was Mary O'Callaghan. was born in Cork, Ireland, but is now deceased.
Frank H. Cooney received his education in the Catholic public schools of Ontario. Leaving school at the age of fourteen he accepted a position as delivery boy in the store of E. C. Armand, of Arnprior, Ontario, Canada, and for his services he received the remarkably modest salary of $4 a month. He became, however, thoroughly acquainted with the grocery business in its several departments. While still a youth, Mr. Cooney for a time assisted his father in the nursery business but only to find that this was not to his liking, and looking for a new field he came to Butte in July, 1891. When he first arrived in Butte he found employment in the grocery store of Thomas F. Courtney and afterwards entered the wholesale department of the Davidson Grocery Company.
In 1894 Mr. Cooney left the employ of the Davidson Grocery Company and with his brother, Howard C. Cooney, started the firm of Cooney Bros. It was afterwards incorporated under the name of the Cooney Brokerage Company as it stands today, and from the first the business has been a success.
Mr. Cooney was married December 27, 1899, to Miss Emma May Poindexter, daughter of P. H. Poindexter, of Dillon, Montana. Mr. and Mrs. Cooney now reside in Missoula, Montana, and have six children—Francis H., John Phillip, Mary Margaret, Walter Poindexter. and twins. Tyler Thompson and Virginia Elizabeth.
In politics Mr. Cooney is a Democrat, and his religion Roman Catholic. He is a member of the Silver Bow Club, Butte, the Hibernians, Butte, and the Elks, of Missoula. [Source: "The History of Montana" by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Sub. by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
The abstract and title business is one of vast importance, affecting as it does the ownership of lands, and no stable settlement of any section could he brought about without its assistance. A well-known business man along this line in Montana is Levi Davis, who has the honor of having put out the first set of abstracts in Montana and is the principal owner of the Montana Abstract and Title Insurance Company, which he established at Butte in 1900 and still conducts. Mr. Davis was born in Henry county, Indiana, November 29, 1841, and is a son of Neziah and Tamar (Brown) Davis.
Neziah Davis was born in Grayson county, Virginia, and his wife, in Ohio, the families on both sides dating back to Quaker ancestors who came to America with William Penn. Neziah Davis was a miller by trade and followed that occupation after moving to Indiana, but after settling in Iowa, in 1857, engaged in farming until his death, in 1863, when aged fifty-six years. His widow survived until 1894.
Levi Davis attended school in Indiana and later in Iowa and in the class of 1863 was graduated from the Iowa State University. Afterward he taught school for four years and in the meanwhile applied himself to the study of law, in 1871 being admitted to the bar. For the next eight years he practiced law at Sac City, Iowa, and retired from practice in order to accept the position of- cashier in the Sac County Bank, where he continued until 18S7. Being threatened with a breakdown in health, he resigned his bank office and went to California and there engaged in out-door work on a fruit farm for one year, which method completely restored him. In November, 1889, Mr. Davis came to Montana, locating at Deer Lodge, where he went into the abstract business and remained until 1896, when he removed to Anaconda and from there, in 1900, to Butte, where he is numbered with the representative business men and the reliable citizens.
Since coming to Montana Mr. Davis has taken no active part in politics and has never sought office here. In Iowa he was quite active in public affairs and served as county superintendent of schools in Marshall county, and in Sac county was county clerk and county recorder, chairman of the board of school directors and for more than ten years was treasurer of Sac City. He cast his maiden vote for Abraham Lincoln for president and in national affairs has been a Republican ever since, preserving his party fealty during the threatened party disruption on the silver issue, although in Montana that was an unpopular stand to take at that time.
In 1865 Mr. Davis was united in marriage with Miss Helen V. Criss, who was born in Illinois and died in 1897, in Montana. She is survived by three children, namely: Nettie, who is the wife of J. W. Smurr; Arthur E., who is a graduate of the Montana School of Mines, is now a ranchman but until recently was in business with his father; and Jesse E., who is in the fire insurance business at Seattle, Washington. Mr. Davis was married (second) to Miss Martha K. Hance, who was born in Ohio. They attend the Christian Science church. Although Mr. Davis has reached his seventieth year, he is hale, hearty and vigorous, the type of man who exemplifies in his person and in his preservation of every faculty the value of temperance and wholesome living, to which he attributes his health and consequent happiness. [Source: "The History of Montana" by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Submitted by Friends of Free Genealogy]
Monseigneur Peter De Sieke.
The Catholic church, which is in many respects one of the most wonderful organizations among men, is in nothing more conspicuous and renowned than in its knowledge of genuine merit and its reward of faithful and valuable services performed by its hierarchy, individually or collectively. One of the striking proofs of this was given on June 17, 191 1, when Rev. Peter De Siere of Butte, Montana, was elevated to the rank of Monseigneur, or Domestic Prelate. This action by the church gave the Catholics of the Northwest great gratification, as they had long known Father De Siere's commanding ability and devotion to the church, and were delighted that they had not been overlooked in Rome.
Father De Siere was born in Flanders, Belgium, on April 16, 1843, and is a son of Peter and Mary (Vienne) De Siere, natives of Belgium, and the second of their eight children in the order of birth. He obtained his academic education in good schools in his native land, and was also prepared for the priesthood there, completing his course of training in theology in 1867. He was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Faict and after serving as professor in Dixmude College for twelve years, served as assistant pastor of the church in Roulers and later pastor in Westende in his native land until 1887. In that year he came to the United States and the state of Montana, locating first at Deer Lodge without a regular charge at the time. For sixteen months he labored arduously and effectively as assistant to Father De Ryckere at Deer Lodge, and was then appointed assistant to Father Van de Van of St. Patricks church in Butte. Three months later he was made, pastor at Anaconda, and in that city he built St. Paul's church and parish house. From his youth he has been progressive and aggressive. Difficulties have never daunted him, and where others have feared to tread he has walked boldly forward, challenging Fate herself into the lists and meeting her on almost equal terms. He was therefore just the man to accomplish what he did in Anaconda, and what he has since done in Butte.
Before he left his native land he built at Westende, on the shore of the North Sea, the first sisters' school in that parish. The bishop of the diocese at the time thought the undertaking was impossible of accomplishment, but the indomitable spirit of the man who afterward crossed the Rockies to administer to the scattered population of a then practically unexplored section of this country was not to be daunted. He started the school with two sisters and seventy-five children. Twenty-five years later it had seven sisters in charge and its pupils numbered two hundred and thirty-five, and in that period its standing in public estimation had grown enormously and become as firmly fixed as Gibraltar.
In 1893 Father De Siere was appointed pastor of St. Patrick's church in Butte. When he took charge of the parish he found a debt of $48,000 on the school building confronting him. He has since cleared the school building of debt, built the Sisters' Home at a cost of $19,000, enlarged the church at an expenditure of $15,000, and erected a priests' home at an outlay of $21,000. The ordinary running expenses have steadily increased also, but he has been able to provide for them without again going heavily into debt for any purpose in connection with the church. The elevation of this fine scholar, excellent business man and devout representative of holiness to the rank and dignity of domestic prelate was well deserved by him and enthusiastically received by the people of Montana without regard to their religious affiliations, and has been universally recognized as an honor most worthily bestowed. Persons of all nationalities and creeds have found the recipient deserving of their highest esteem and have freely and gladly bestowed it on him. The honor dates back to the eleventh century. The college of cardinals was then created by the pope to look after the temporal administration of the church, and at the same time the order of domestic prelates was founded, its members to be intermediaries between the cardinals and the Holy See. At first exacting qualifications of a most severe nature were demanded of those to be so highly honored. A five years' course in canon law was necessary and two years' practice in an ecclesiastic court. But as these very exacting conditions barred many men of great capability, especially missionaries in remote districts, from holding office, the requirements were lowered in course of time. But even now, the honor is rarely conferred, and only on those whose learning, worth and work are far above the ordinary. At the present time, before any priest can be raised to the dignity of domestic prelate, the bishop of the diocese must certify, along with other things, that he is a doctor of canon law or Sacred Scripture, that he has done uncommon service for t.he welfare of the church, and that he will add honor to the office. In the case of Father De Siere these requirements were easy to meet. His extensive learning, both in reference to the Scriptures and in general, was well known. His services to the church in this part of the world and in his native land were conspicuous, and his high character and admirable manhood would give distinction to any position he might occupy. And these facts were so patent to all who know the monseigneur that the bishop must have had unusual pleasure in certifying to them, as the pope must also have had in receiving the certificate. [Source: the History of Montana by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Submitted by Friends for Free Genealogy]
William W. Dixon
WILLIAM WIRT DIXON, of Butte, who succeeds T. H. Carter as Montana's Representative in Congress, was born at Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1838, and at the age of seventeen began the study of law, and was admitted to the bar of Iowa when in his twentieth year; practiced his profession in Iowa for one year, when he moved to Arkansas, where he practiced law another year; went to California, and from there to Nevada, where he practiced four years, coming to Montana in 1866; located first at Helena, but soon after moved to Deer Lodge, where he continued his practice for thirteen years; went to the Black Hills in 1879 ; returning to Montana three years later, he located at Butte, where he has since resided and practiced law. Mr. Dixon, like all Montanans, has mined to some extent; was elected to the Legislature in 1871, and in 1883 was a delegate to the Constitutional Convention held at Helena in January, 1884. He was nominated by the Democratic party to make the race with Carter for congressional honors, and was successful. Mr. Dixon was married to Miss Ida Wilson, of St. Louis, Mo., in 1874.
[The Montana blue book: a biographical, historical and statistical book of reference by Journal Publishing Co., 1891 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Dennis Driscoll, who was prominent in the mining, business and political life of Butte in the early days, died last evening, in Seattle, where he had been critically ill for 10 days. Two years ago Mr. Driscoll suffered from a stroke of paralysis in Butte and on Oct. 1 another stroke followed. Congestion of the lungs, which developed into pneumonia, further complicated the pioneer's condition and his death had been expected for several days. All of his children with the exception of John, a student at Virginia university, were with him at the time of his death.
Dennis Driscoll was born in County Cork, Ireland, about 75 years ago. When 17 years old he came to the United States and first found employment at Newark, N.J., in an iron foundry. When 24 years old, in 1863, Mr. Driscoll was impressed with the stories of wealth in the far West and joined a party of gold seekers. He chose to make the trip to California by way of the Isthmus of Panama. He mined in the various camps in California for a year and then went up one of the northern trails to Idaho, where he sought gold by placer mining. In 1885 he followed some miners who brought stories of gold in Montana and late that year reached what is now Butte. His first mining in Montana was done at German gulch, where it comes in just above Durant. He pacer mined in Silver Bow creek and had the first water right to this stream.
Mr. Driscoll located an unusually rich claim known as the Elm Orlu at Trapper, now Hecia, Mont. There was no near-by smelter and Mr. Driscoll had the ore hauled by mule team to Corrine, Utah, the nearest railroad point. The ore was sacked and shipped to New York and then taken to Wales, where it was smelted. Mr. Driscoll made considerable money from these ores. He had Tom Ford as a partner in this mine, which he retained the title to.
When silver was discovered in Walkerville and the Alice mill was running full blast, Mr. Driscoll was one of the first to start a store.
Later he ran a mill just north of the Moulton mine in Walkerville and called it the Margaret Ann/ he conducted a store in Walkerville many years and then moved to Basin, where mining had attracted a large colony of miners. He established another general merchandise store there and 15 years later sold it out and came to Butte, which was always his home. Of late years Mr. Driscoll had not been active in business. Two years ago, failing health prompted his removal to Seattle, but the old Montana friendships were strong enough to call the pioneer back to Butte about a year ago.
Mr. Driscoll, while never holding any political office, was active politically in the early days and in the capital fight between Helena and Anaconda was an active partisan for Anaconda and was prominent in other political issues in those days. He is said to have been one of the first organizers of Butte Miners' union, No. 1. Mr. Driscoll was a member of the Knights of Columbus, the Ancient Order of Hibernians and the Montana Society of Pioneers. He is survived by his wife, who was Miss Mary Taafe at the time of their marriage in Newark, N.J., early in his career; four daughters, Mrs. C. P. Callahan of Basin, Ella and Mamie Driscoll and Mrs. John E. Coretie; two sons, Dennie and John Driscoll; a nephew, Tim Downey of Butte; a niece, Mamie Downey of Newark, N.J., and a sister, Ellen Driscoll, who is Mr. Driscoll's senior, in Newark, N.J.
While the funeral arrangements have not been completed it is expected that the body will be shipped from Seattle this morning and will arrive in Butte tomorrow morning and the funeral will be held Thursday under the direction of the Butte council, No. 668, Knights of Columbus. The body will be accompanied to Butte by members of the family, who went to Seattle when Mr. Driscoll's condition became critical.
[Anaconda Standard Dec.1, 1914 - Sub. By Marla Zwakman]
J. Sidney Ellis
J. Sidney Ellis is president of the corporation known as the Ellis Paint Company, one of the largest concerns of its kind in the state.
A native of Canada, J. Sidney Ellis was born on the 22nd of October, 1870, and was 17 years of age at the time of his advent in Butte, in 1887. For four years thereafter he was in the employ of the Richards Paint & Oil Company of Butte and from 1898 to 1900 he was a partner in the paint firm of Carder Brothers. In 1901 he established the Ellis Paint Company, which was incorporated under the laws of the state of Montana, with a capital stock of twenty thousand dollars, in 1901. The official corps of the Ellis Paint Company is as follows: J. S. Ellis, president; J. S. Dutton, vice-president; and Wyman Ellis, secretary and treasurer. This concern holds prestige as being the leading wall-paper jobbing house in Montana and it makes a specialty of handling wall paper and paints, employing traveling salesmen who do business throughout this section of the northwest. The home of the Ellis Paint Company is at No. 24 Granite street and according to recent statistics the company does an annual business of about one hundred and twenty five thousand dollars.
Fraternally, he is connected with the time-honored Masonic order and he is also a member of the Silver Bow Club. His religious faith is in harmony with the teachings of the Methodist Episcopal church. [Source: the History of Montana by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Submitted by Friends for Free Genealogy]
Louis A. Eschle
Louis A. Eschle is a man of unusual enterprise and initiative and has met with such marvelous good fortune in his various business projects that it would verily seem as though he possessed an open sesame to unlock the doors to success. Self-made in the most significant sense of the word, he has progressed steadily toward the goal of success until he is recognized as one of the foremost business men and citizens of Butte, where he has resided since 1888, and where he conducts one of the finest and best equipped plumbing establishments in the entire state.
A native of the fine old Gopher state of the Union, Louis A. Eschle was born in the city of St. Paul, Minnesota, the date of his nativity being the 22nd of September. 1866. He is a son of Henry and Mary (Wey) Eschle, both of whom were born and reared in Germany, whence they immigrated to America. Henry Eschle was one of the early settlers in St. Paul, Minnesota, having come to that place when it was populated by not more than half a dozen white men. He was a contractor and builder of note and figured prominently in public affairs. He was a soldier in many of the Indian wars of early Minnesota and at the time of the inception of the Civil war gave evidence of his intrinsic loyalty to the cause of the Union by enlisting as a soldier, in the Second Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. He served through the entire period of the war and participated in many of the most important engagements marking the progress of the war, having been several times wounded. He was summoned to the life eternal in 1881, at the age of fifty-six years. Mrs. Eschle came to St. Paul when young and there was solemnized her marriage; she passed away in 1909, at the age of seventy-six years.
The seventh in order of birth in a family of ten children, Louis A. Eschle received his early educational training in the public schools of St. Paul. At the age of thirteen years he entered upon an apprenticeship to learn the plumber's trade in the shop of Wilson & Rogers, at St. Paul, the largest plumbing concern west of Chicago. He served an apprenticeship of six years and during that time mastered the business in all its branches, becoming an expert plumber, gas and steam pipe fitter. He was employed in the shop of Wilson & Rogers for three years as a journeyman and in 1886 he came to Montana, locating first in the city of Helena, where he secured a position with the plumbing concern of Dutton & O'Brien. He remained with the latter concern for one year and then was in the employ of Stark & Brown for one year, at the expiration of which he decided to open a plumbing shop of his own. Coming to Butte, in 1888, he established his present business, beginning in a modest way and gradually spreading out the scope of his operations until he now does business throughout the state. His success is due entirely to his own persistency and well directed endeavors and as such is the more gratifying to contemplate. In connection with his work he is a valued and appreciative member of the Master Plumbers Association.
At Helena, Montana, in November, 1889, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Eschle to Miss Ida S. Ganote, who was born and reared at Jeffersonville, Indiana, who is a daughter of George Ganote, a representative citizen at Union Store, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Eschle are the parents of two daughters, Juanita and Lulu, both of whom are attending school at Butte.
In his political proclivities Mr. Eschle is aligned as a stalwart in the ranks of the Republican party. He has no time for active participation in public affairs but is ever ready to do all in his power to advance the general welfare of his home community. In a fraternal way he is affiliated with the Woodmen of the World. Mr. Eschle is exceedingly fond of the national game of baseball and at one time played on a nine at Butte. He is popular with all classes of people and by reason of his exemplary life and fair and honorable dealings is accorded the unalloyed confidence and high regard of his fellow citizens. [Source: "The History of Montana" by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Sub. by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
Lewis O. Evans,
of Butte, has for over twenty years been recognized as one of the ablest corporation lawyers in Montana, and his ability, gained through a wide and varied experience in legal practice, and particularly in connection with questions of corporation and mining law, is well recognized. Born at Utica, New York, on August 31, 1871, he came to Montana with his parents, Owen and Emily J. (Church) Evans, in 1883, and has since resided in this state. On coming to Montana his father, Owen Evans, engaged in mercantile pursuits, and was prominently identified with the civic and business life of Helena for a number of years. His parents subsequently removed to Anaconda.
He began his education in the public schools of his native city, and graduated from the Helena High School when fifteen years of age. For a short period he attended the Cazenovia Seminary in New York, and later, after his return to Helena, studied law with the firms of Word and Smith and Word, Smith and Word. He was admitted to the bar while employed in their office in 1894, and has recently rounded out a quarter of a century of active practice.
In December, 1895, Mr. Evans removed to Butte and entered the office of John F. Forbis, one of the most eminent practitioners that Montana has produced. A year later the partnership of Forbis and Evans was formed, and was engaged in general practice until the retirement of Mr. Forbis January 1, 1910. This firm was constantly employed in handling important litigation and was prominent in what is known as the "Heinze-Amalgamated" litigation from early in the year 1897 until its settlement in 1906. This was probably the most extensive and bitterly fought litigation recorded in legal history. Most of Mr. Evans' practice has been devoted to the business of many of the large corporations which have their headquarters at Butte, and which in 1910 were merged into the Anaconda Copper Mining Company. In 1912 he became, and has since been, chief counsel for that company. He is also chief counsel for the Montana Power Company and its subsidiary companies, and other corporations of less magnitude.
Mr. Evans has taken an important part in the trials of many causes celebre in Montana, among them the "Michael Devitt," "Pennsylvania," "Drum Lummon," "Larkin" and "Minnie Healy" mining cases. Mr. C. F. Kelley and Mr. Evans handled with entire success for the mining companies the celebrated "Smoke Case" between the farmers of the Deer Lodge Valley and the Anaconda Copper Mining Company and Washoe Copper Company.
Mr. Evans is a member of the Montana State Bar Association and of the Silver Bow Bar Association, and has served as president of the latter organization.
In politics Mr. Evans is and at all times has been an ardent republican. He is a member of Silver Bow Lodge No. 48, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and Bagdad Temple of the Mystic Shrine, and other Masonic organizations, the Butte Lodge of Elks, Rocky Mountain Club of New York, the Montana Club, and the Silver Bow Club of Butte, and served three terms as president of the Silver Bow Club. He has at all times taken an active part in civic and other matters of community interest.
In November, 1903, he married at Butte Miss Martha Nichols, daughter of Judge Erastus A. and Sarah Elizabeth (Warren) Nichols. Her father was for many years identified with the business life of Butte and later removed to Missoula. Mr. and Mrs. Evans have three children: Lewis Nichols, born October 12, 1904, Richard Orvis, born August 22, 1907, and Elizabeth Warren, born May 2, 1913. [Montana, Its Biography and History, Volume 2. transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails