Yellowstone County, Montana
Genealogy and History

Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Obituaries and Death Notices

Bernadine Bauer

In memory of BERNADINE BAUER, 86, of Billings April 30, 1926 - Dec. 8, 2012

IN MEMORY OF BERNADINE BAUER, 86, OF BILLINGS -- April 30, 1926 - December 8, 2012
Bernadine Ann Bauer, age 86 of Billings, passed away Saturday December 8, 2012 at St. Vincent Healthcare in Billings following a brief illness. Bernadine was born in Miles City, MT on April 30, 1926 to George and Elizabeth (Maershbecker) Bauer. Berna (or Bernie as she was known to friends) lived in the Hysham area with her parents and 7 siblings and graduated from Hysham High School in 1946. She then went to beauty school in Billings and worked at the Powder Box (now Lil's on 3rd) as a hairdresser for many years until her retirement. She attended St Patrick Co-Cathedral in Billings.Berna was a kind and generous soul, giving beyond her means. She provided housing and nourishment to at least a dozen and half of her family members including brothers, nieces and nephews. Berna loved animals and often spoke fondly of caring for animals on the farm during her youth. She also doted on her cats. Berna had a sharp sense of humor and loved to laugh. She was a very giving and loving aunt, and though she had no children of her own, she was like a mother to her many nieces and nephews.
Berna is survived by two sisters; Cecelia Downey of Butte, Yvonne Olson (Norman) of Seattle, and two brothers; John of Albuquerque, NM and Mathew (Janice) of Forsyth.
She was preceded in death by her father and mother, George Sr. and Elizabeth, and Brothers George Jr., Frank, James and infant sister Elizabeth.
Aunt Berna we will miss your big heart and generous and loving nature. You were a light in our lives.
[Funeral Memorial, Date: Dec. 8, 2012 - Sub. by A. Pabolo]

Henry Jacob Brummer
Henry Jacob Brummer, 69, Pryor (MT) died at the Pearl Chamberlain ranch Friday night (23 Jun 1972). He was born April 14, 1903 in Ocheyedan, Iowa, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry John Brummer. He attended schools in South Dakota. In 1917 he moved to Broadview where he farmed until 1944. In 1944 he moved to Pryor and worked for the Chamberlain ranching operation. Survivors include two brothers: John of Durham, NC and Jacob Brummer of Big Timber (MT) and a sister, Mrs. Bernice Haines of Libby (MT). Smith's Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. Final rites were held at Pryor (MT) Cemetery, 27 June 1972.
[Billings (MT) Gazette, 25 June 1972 - Sub. by M. G. Ocando]

Cora White Tate Coon

Cora Coon, 82, 213 S 28th St., died Thursday at a Billings hospital of natural causes. Funeral services are 2 p.m. Monday at Settergren-Carey Funeral Chapel, with the Rev. James Fitzhugh of First United Methodist Church officiating. Burial is in Mountview Cemetery. Mrs. Coon was born Sept.. 3, 1886 in Harrison, Nebraska. She was married to Clarence R Coon in August 1942 in Omaha, Nebraska. They lived in Nebraska near Brady and came to Billings in 1945, where they lived since. Mr. Coon died in 1967. She was a member of the First United Methodist Church. Survivors include a step-daughter, Mrs. Everett Diehl of Cheyenne, Wyoming.
[Billings Gazette, Aug 9,1969 - Sub. by: Kathyrn Todd]

Mrs. Corcoran
Mrs. Corcoran of North Billings died Wednesday morning and was buried this morning. The services were conducted by Rev. FatherVan Clarenbeck. [Butte Weekly Miner May 24, 1900 - Sub. By Marla Zwakman]

Anita Pabolo Smith Dragoo

Anita "Ann" Dragoo, 46, of Forsyth, former Billings resident, died Friday, Nov. 15, 1996, in the Deaconess Medical Center at Billings following an extended illness.
Mrs. Dragoo was born May 27, 1949, in Thurlow, the daughter of Jess and Lola Martinez Pabolo. She spent her youth in Rosebud, moving to Hysham with her family in 1956 and later to Huntley in 1958. She attended schools in Hysham and Huntley.
Following her schooling, she moved to Billings where she worked in food service for various restaurants.
She was married to Dennis Smith and later to Tom Dragoo. Mrs. Dragoo continued to live in Billings until moving to Forsyth in 1991 where she had resided since.
A member of St. Patrick Catholic Church in Billings, she also belonged to the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Forsyth and worked with crafts.
Her survivors include her son, Dennis Smith, and her daughter, Michelle Smith, both of Billings, a brother, Roy Pabolo of Forsyth, three sisters, Juanita Pabolo of Forsyth, Louise Mascarena of Billings and Isabelle Brown of Alexandria, Va.; and six grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her infant daughter and son.
Graveside services will be at 2p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 20, 1996, in the Forsyth Catholic Cemetery. The Rev. Gil will officiate.
Beals Mortury of Forsyth is in charge of arrangements.
[Source: Beals Funeral Home, Nov. 15, 1996 - Submitted By A. Pabolo]

Bell Dwyer
STONINGTON - J. J. Dwyer has received word of the death of his sister in law, Mrs. D. D. Dwyer in Billings, Mont. Mr. and Mrs. D. D. Dwyer left Stonington for the West on account of Mrs. Dwyer's health nine years ago. Lately they had been making their home in Laurel, Mont. The body will be returned for burial. Mrs. Dwyer was the former Bell Weaver and is the sister of Mrs. Emory Livergood.
["Decatur Evening Herald" (Decatur, Illinois) Thursday, March 26, 1931 - BZ - Sub by FoFG]

Eckholdt (Infant)
BILLINGS -- Mr. and Mrs. F. R. Eckholdt, who intended leaving Thursday, July 26, for Rochester, Minn., to reside, were delayed by their infant child being taken seriously ill. July 29 the baby died, the complaint being severe dysentery. ["Helena Independent" Aug. 7, 1900 - Sub. By Marla Zwakman]

Lupe Gandara
GANDARA MASS: Requiem mass for Mrs Lupe Gandara, 42, wife of Salvador Gandara, 131 Jackson St., was celebrated Friday morning in Our Lady of Guadalupe Church. Celebrant was the Rev. Raymond R. Knopp.
Burial was in Holy Cross Cemetery.
Pallbearers were Mike Victoria, Henry Rodriques, Roy Castro, Nash Beltram, John Kawher and Jim Gonzales.
Mrs.Gandara died Tuesday in a state hospital.
Survivors include the widower, three sons, one daughter, two brothers, four sisters and two grandchildren.
Smith's Funeral Home was in charge.
[The Billings Gazette, September 2, 1967 - Sub. by A. Pabolo]

Alex Graham
Billings, May 8. - The funeral of Alex Graham, who died suddenly Thursday morning was held here Friday afternoon from the Congregational church under the auspices of the Knights of Pythias, military and fire department. The funeral was one of the largest ever held in the city, the possession being a most imposing one at the head of the procession was troop A. Montana national guards, mounted and in full uniform, in command of Captain J. C. Bond, followed by the Maverick Hose company in charge of Assistant Chief Charles L. Sawyer. Then came the Uniform rank under command of Captain H. C. Klenck, followed by the subordinate lodge Knights of Pythias in command of Vice Chancellor H. T. McFarlin, followed by friends in carriages. There were about 600 people in the procession. The services at the church were conducted by Revs. A. Carswell of the Episcopal church, W. D. Clark of the Congregational church and G. C. Stull of the Methodist church. At the cemetery the impressive burial ceremonies of the Knights was rendered. By request of Mrs. Graham, made a short time ago, his remains were conveyed to their last resting place in the handsome hose wagon belonging to the fire department. Out of respect for his memory, both banks and nearly every business house in the city was closed during the ceremonies. Deceased was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, and was 47 years of age. He leaves a widow and two sons, aged 6 and 8 years. He came to Montana from Oregon to Montana 16 years ago and settled near Miles City, later coming to Billings, where he was for some time engaged in business. About eight years ago he accepted a position in the First National Bank, which he held up to the time of his death. He was also clerk of this school district. He was a man of many noble qualities and numbered among his intimate friends the prominent business men of the city. He was a kind husband, and an indulgent father, and his sudden death falls with crushing weight upon his sorrowing widow and children, who have the heart-felt sympathy of the entire community. ["Butte Weekly Miner", May 8, 1898 - Sub. By Marla Zwakman]

Thos. L. Halberts

Thos. L. Halberts of Halbert, Mont., died at St. Vincent's hospital Saturday. The funeral services were held Sunday morning in the Congregational church, conducted by the Rev. W. D. Clark.
["Butte Weekly Miner" July 20, 1899 - Sub. By Marla Zwakman]

Mike Hanahan
BILLINGS -- Mike Hanahan, better known as "Long Mike," died in this city Wednesday after a lingering illness. The funeral was held Thursday morning at 10 o'clock at the cathedral. ["Butte Weekly Miner" July 20, 1899 - Sub. By Marla Zwakman]

Fred M. "Lone Star" Hans
"Famous Scout Dies Boots On; Lift Kills Him"
Omaha, April 17: Gray-haired old Fred M. ("Lone Star") Hans, former chief scout of General Phil Sheridan, and perhaps the last of the "two gun, cross arm draw" experts, died here Tuesday night with his boots on. But not on a battlefield did death come to him, nor on the wings of a bullet. He was crushed to death in an elevator shaft at the World-Herald plant where he was night watchman. Hans, who had never been beaten on the draw, was credited with killing 20 men, among them 14 Indians. He was the official investigator of the Custer massacre for the war department. Formerly, he was chief special agent of the Northwestern railroad.
[Billings Gazette, Apr 18, 1923 - Sub. by Dan Brown]

Shirley Hirst
FLORENCE -- Shirley Hirst, 86, of Florence, passed away Sept. 14, 2011.
She is survived by her husband, Donald; daughters Peggy (Warren) Peterson and Liz Hirst; grand-daughters Jennifer and Erica; and great-grandson Wesley.
Cremation has taken place. Memorial service will be Thursday, Nov. 3, at Grace Methodist Church, 1935 Ave. B, Billings, at 1 p.m. Memorials may be made to charity of your choice. [
Billings Gazette, October 30, 2011 - Sub by Genie Bug]

Ervin C. Hoesel
-- Erv finally got to go to the big fishing hole in the sky --
Ervin Hoesel passed away at home on Oct. 27, 2011, due to congestive heart failure while still making his list of things he wanted to do.
He was on June 10, 1922, at the family home in Judson, N.D., and was the first of seven children. After schooling and graduation, he entered the Navy, proudly serving in World War II aboard a Liberty Ship, and was assigned to Port Chicago at the time the ammunitions explosion there in July of 1944. Following his discharge, he married his lifelong sweetheart, Vlasta, and they had three daughters and 63 years of life together.
After almost 23 years with the US Postal Service, he retired and began reinventing himself. He was a multi-talented man who ran out of hours before he ran out of ideas. Always a rock-hound, he turned his passion into a jewelry business doing silf taught lapidary work. At the age 85, he got his first computer, and got hooked on "Google!" His love of music, painting, fishing, camping in the trailer, metal detecting and gardening were only out weighed by his love for family time. He lived in such a way that his daughters approached their own lives with the query, "What would Dad do?"
Ervin is survived by his wife Vlasta; and three daughters, Cheryl Bass (Vern), Lynell Jones, Luanne Mauch (Harlan), and their families.
Preceding him in death were his parents and one brother.
Visitation at Smith's Downtown Chapel, 925 S. 27th, will be from 5 to 7 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 31. The funeral service will be held at American Lutheran Church, corner of Lewis and Division, at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 1, with a lunch to follow at the church. Burial will take place at Sunset Memorial Gardens.
Memorials may be sent to American Lutheran Church, or the charity of one's choice.
He will be greatly missed and remembered for being "young, for so long!"
[Billings Gazette, October 30, 2011 - Sub by Genie Bug]

John E. Johnson
Committal services for John E. Johnson, 77, 415 19th St. West; who died in a Billings hospital Tuesday will be 10:00 a.m. Friday at the Mountview Cemetery. He was a retired City Water Dept. employee.
He was born October 12, 1889 in Sweden, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Johnson.
He moved to Billings from Sweden in 1913. He married Emelia Pierson, Jan. 25, 1914, in Billings. She died in 1935.
Surviving are a son, J. George Johnson, 415 19th St. W and a brother, Einar Johnson, Sweden.
Smith's Funeral Home is in charge.
[The Billings Gazette, August 31, 1967 - Sub by Genie Bug]

JOHNSON SERVICES: Commital services for John E. Johnson, 77, 415 19th St. W., were Friday morning at Mountview Cemetery.
Mr. Johnson died Tuesday in a Billings hospital. He was a retired city water department employee. He is survived by one son and one brother. Smith's Funeral Home was in charge.
[The Billings Gazette, September 2, 1967 - Sub. by Genie Bug]

Lillian (Betty) Johnston

Lillian N. (Betty) Johnston, 90 of Forsyth and formerly of Billings, died Friday August 6, 1999 at the Rosebud Health Care Center in Forsyth.
Betty was born January 24, 1919 in Sheffield, Missouri, the daughter of Homer and Mary Hearst Wells. She was raised up and attended schools in South Dakota.
In 1937, Betty married Chester Johnston. They moved to Yakima, WA where they members of the Fraternal Order of the Eagles. Following Chester's death in 1964, Betty moved to Billings where she was a cook at the County Nursing Home. In 1968, Betty moved to Forsyth and has lived here since.
Betty is survived by her adopted family; Rex and Bev Madsen of Pleasanton, TX, Lynn and Mardi Madsen of Billings, Bob and Sherri Burtch of Baton Rouge, LA; Bill and Margo Anderson of Forsyth, MT. She was preceded in death by her parents, two brothers and her sister.
MEMORIAL SERVICE: Thursday, August 12, 1999 2:00 P.M.
Rosebud Health Care Center, Nursing Home, Family Room
[Funeral announcement, August 12, 1999 - Sub. by A. Pabolo]

Twylah Marcella Knight Karel
Twylah Marcella Karel, 90, of Billings, passed away Easter Sunday morning, March 31, 2002 at her home. She was born in Inavale, Nebraska on February 10, 1912 to John L. and Mary Sutton Knight.
Twylah married Joseph R. Karel April 22, 1932 in Clarkson, Nebraska. He preceded her in death on October 24, 1970. She was also preceded in death by three brothers, Elmer, Oscar, and Marvin; three grandsons, Patrick Egan, Daniel Egan, and Thomas Majerus; and a son-in-law, Gerald Majerus.
Survivors include one brother, Oliver of Lismore, Australia; two daughters, Donna Egan and Mary Ann Majerus of Billings, Montana; seven grandchildren, Timothy Egan of Petaluma, California, Matthew Egan of Las Vegas, Nevada, David Egan of Sheridan, Wyoming, Robert Majerus of Phoenix, Arizona, Maureen Egan Tetrault, Carol Majerus Hanser, and James Majerus, all of Billings, Montana. She is also survived by twelve great grandchildren and three great great grandchildren.
Twylah spent many happy hours in her rose garden and was truly proud of her many years as a volunteer for St. Vincent DePaul Society.
A vigil service will be held Thursday, April 4 at 7:00 p.m. at Dahl Funeral Chapel and funeral services will be held on Friday, April 5, at noon at St. Patrick’s Co-Cathedral with interment to follow at Holy Cross Cemetery.
[Billings Gazette, 04/02/2002 - Submitted By: Lowell B. Krahn]

Carmen Jose Lopez
Carmen J. Lopez, 59, died Friday at the Holy Rosary Hospital in Miles City.
Mass was said Wednesday at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Forsyth with the Rev. Thomas McTague officiating. Rosary was recited Tuesday evening in Beals Mortuary. Burial took place in the Forsyth Catholic Cemetery.
He was born May 11, 1914, at Cielo, Mexico, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Jose Lopez. He came with his parents to Hysham in 1918, and in 1935 he moved to the Thurlow area to farm. Since 1970 he had lived in Billings.
He was first married in 1937 to Guadelupe Pabola. He later married Amalia Pabolo on August 2, 1945. Both wives preceded him in death.
Survivors include five daughters, Mrs. Gloria Kinzel of Lame Deer, Mrs. Zeniada Gerber of Billings, Patty, also of Billings, Anita of Laurel, and Mrs. Marcy Saulhaber of Great Falls; four sons, Johnny Lopez and Augustine, both of Terry, Fidel Lopez of Miles City, and Carmen Jr. in Vietnam; and ten grandchildren.
[Forsyth Independent, May 24, 1973 - Sub By A. Pabolo]

Fidel Lopez
Funeral Services for Fidel "Fiddles" Lopez, 47, of Billings, former Miles City and Rosebud area resident, were Saturday afternoon, Nov. 25, in Beals Mortuary Chapel at Forsyth.
The Rev. Michael O'Hanlon officiated.
Pallbearers were Jerry Gerber, Joe Faulhaber, Roy Pabolo, Oscar Kinzel, Mike Carranco and Jimmy Salazar.
Interment followed in the Forsyth Veterans Cemetery.
Mr. Lopez died Thursday, Nov. 23, in the Parkview Convalescent Center in Billings after a long illness.
He was born April 26, 1942, at Thurlow, the son of Carmen and Guadelupe Pabolo Lopez . He spent his youth on a farm near Rosebud and attended Rosebud schools In 1960, he graduated from Rosebud High school.
Mr. Lopez entered the Air Force where he served for four years.
He attended Miles Community College in 1965 and 1966 and attended and graduated from Eastern Montana College at Billings in 1969.
In October 1968, he married Joan Brown Lobo at Belle Fourche, S.D.
Mr. Lopez taught schools in Stanford for the school year 1970-1971 and in Billings 1972-1073, then retired due to illiness.
Survivors inlcude his wife, Joan of Liverpool, England; one daughter, Teri Lopez of Liverpool; four brothers, Johnny Lopez of Miles City, Augie Lopez of Denver, Junior Lopez of Billings and David Gandara of Anaheim , Calif.; and five sisters, Marcie Faulhaber of Great Falls, Gloria Kinzel of Lame Deer, Zeniada Gerber of Billings, Patricia Lopez and Annie Lopez both of Seattle.
[Miles City Star, Nov. 27, 1989 - Sub by A. Pabolo]

Nicholas Jacob Ludwig, Sr.
Nick Ludwig was born Oct. 3, 1932, to Andrew and Rose Ludwig in Saunders. He served in the USAF from 1951 to 1953, and married Lorraine Weidner on Aug. 30, 1954.
Nick was a mechanic by trade, enjoyed hunting, camping, fishing, putting puzzles together and spending time with his wife, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and stepgrandchildren.
Nick passed away on Tuesday, June 1, 2011, at St. Vincent Healthcare.
He leaves behind his wife Lorraine and children Cindy (Skip) Weed, Nick (Sarah) Ludwig Jr., Rose (Orlando) Ludwig, Patti (Don) Cetrone, Vicki Ferguson, Bev Ludwig, Lonny Ludwig, Lori (Art) Perez, Elizabeth (Gary) Moore, Melissa (Jerry) Bohn, Merle (Mary Ludwig, Merlin (Julie) Ludwig; and numerous grandchildren, great-grandchildren, step-grandchildren and step-great-grandchildren. He also leaves behind brothers Johnny, Harold, Tony and Stanley; and sisters Eva, Dolly, Lena, Janet, Rosie and Geri.
He was preceded in death by his parents; sons Rick, Chris and Joseph; four great-grandchildren and siblings Delbert, Blanch and Margret.
Per Dad's wishes, there will be no services and cremation will take place.
We love you, Dad, and you will be greatly missed.
[Billings Gazette, June 04, 2011 - Sub. by A. Pabolo]

Robert Joseph Martinez
GLENDIVE--Robert Joseph Martinez, age 54, of Glendive, formerly of Forsyth and Billings, Mont., died on Wednesday, June 30, 2004, at the Eastern Montana Veterans Home in Glendive.
Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Forsyth with Father Gary Norman officiating. Rite of Committal with military honors will be in the Forsyth cemetery. Silvernale-Silha Funeral Home of Glendive is entrusted with arrangements.
Robert was born on Feb. 23, 1950, in Forsyth, the son of Emmanuel and Josephine (Pabolo) Martinez. He was raised and educated in the Forsyth area, receiving his education in the Forsyth and Rosebud schools. Robert enlisted in the U.S. Army on March 1, 1968, and upon his honorable discharge in February of 1974, returned to Forsyth, where he worked as a desk clerk at the Joseph Hotel for eight years. He resided in Billings for a number of years. In July of 1996, Robert moved to the Eastern Montana Veterans Home in Glendive where he has resided since.
As a young man, Robert enjoyed playing baseball. In his later years, he enjoyed playing pool, fishing, hunting and visiting with friends.
Robert was preceded in death by one brother, Denny Martinez and his sister, Stella Thomas.
Survivors include five sisters, Delores Button and her husband Ron of Colstrip, Julia Thomas and her husband Steve of Belcourt, S.D., Modesta Martinez of Forsyth Angie Neil of Cheyenne, Wyo., and Josie Merrill and her husband Bruce of Marysville, Utah.
[Billings Gazette, July 3, 2004 - Sub by A. Pabolo]

Louisa Pabolo Mascarena
Louise M. Mascarena, 59, of Billings, fought a courageous eight year battle with liver disease. On Friday, Sept. 3, 1999, she was called home to be with our Lord Jesus Christ. Her quiet caring way brought her love and respect of all those whose lives she touched. She is an unforgettable eternal light that will never die. Thank you for the memories! OXOXOX.
Louise was born July 10, 1940, in Rosebud County, to Lola and Jesse Pabolo. She attended school in Rosebud County and Huntley. She also attended school at the Vo-Tech Center in Billings. She was a volunteer at family service and worked for several restaurants in Billings.
Louise married and is survived by her husband, Fermin Mascarena; a daughter, Linda Mascarena and her husband, Greg Helmts; five sons, Anthony Mascarena, Mark Mascarena, Paul Mascarena and wife, Tracy, all of Billings, Robert Mascarena and wife, Pat, of Reno, Nev., and Johm Mascarena of Billings; a brother, Roy Pabolo and wife, Arlene of Forsyth; a sister, Liz Brown and Husband, Tom of Virginia; 14 grandchildren; Tony, Tyler, Desaree, Marcus, Jessica, Shayla, Andie Cassidy, Adam, Hannah, Robert, Jordan, Tevin and Andreja; numerous nieces and nephews and countless friends and family.
She was preceded in death by her mother, Lola and father, Jess and two sisters, Juanita Pabolo and Anita Dragoo.
"We love you and miss you!" Until we meet again, rest in Peace and Suffer no more.
Vigil services will be 7"30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 6, at the Saint Patrick's Co-Cathedral, 215 N. 31st. Funeral mass will be at noon Tuesday, Sept 7, at St. Patrick's. Interment will follow at 4 p.m. at the Forsyth Cemetery, Forsyth. Smith Downtown Chapel in charge of arrangements.
[Billings Gazette, Sept. 6, 1999 - Sub. by A. Pabolo]

Andrew J. McClurg
Former Lodge Grass resident Andrew McClurg, 96, of Western Manor Nursing Home in Billings, died Tuesday at the home. He moved to Billings five years ago. Services will be at 3:00pm Thursday in the Bullis Funeral Home. The Rev. George Sanders will officiate. Burial will be in the Fairview Cemetery near Hardin. Mr. McClurg came to Montana as a young man, and farmed most of his life. He was born May 17, 1879, in Mt. Ayr, Iowa, a son of Mr. and Mrs. W.A. McClurg. He lived in Belfry and Reedpoint, then settled in Big Horn County in 1930. He moved into Lodge Grass in 1953, and worked at a trucking company. Survivors include two sisters, Mrs. Minnie Hutchinson of Bozeman and Mrs. Abbie Sinnock of 2206 Canyon Drive, Billings, and nieces and nephews.
[Source: The Billings Gazette, Wednesday Feb 25, 1976, Submitted by: Marla Suter]

Miles F. Morton
Miles F. Morton, 74 of Billings, formerly of Forsyth and Rosebud, died Friday January 28, 2000 in Yuma, Arizona.
Miles Franklin Morton was born November 24, 1925 in Miles City, the only child of Franklin and Lydia Klundt Morton. He lived in the Rosebud area and attended schools there, graduating from Rosebud High School in 1944.
On February 16, 1946, Miles married Ollie L. Seader in Forsyth. They had one child, Gary, who died accidentally in 1974. Miles farmed in the Rosebud area until the early 1970's, when he retired from farming and moved to Forsyth, He worked odd jobs until he started working at Peabody Coal Mine in Colstrip, until his retirement in 1989. They moved to Billings in 1996 and has lived there since.
Miles enjoyed woodworking and made many oak items for his friends and relatives. He also liked to garden and shared with everybody the fruits of his labor. He loved to travel, fish and camp. He and ollie enjoyed having a motorhome which they used for fishing in Montana and enjoying the sunshine during winters in Arizona. It was during one of these "snowbird trips" that he died of a massive heart attack in Yuma, AZ. He was loved by all who knew him and will be greatly missed by all his family and friends.
He is survived by his beloved wife, Ollie; and cousins Wilbur and Ethel Morton, Charlene Morton, as well as other numerous cousins. Miles was preceded in death by his parents and son, Gary.
Funeral Services: Thursday , February 3, 2000 11:00 A.M., Beals Mortuary Chapel, Rev. Stephen Biegel, Officiant
Interment: Forsyth Cemetery
[Source: Sub by A. Pabolo - Funeral Home Memorial]

Robert N. Newton
Robert N. Newton Drowned Himself in the Illinois River at Ottawa
Many Arizona people will regret to hear of the self-destruction of Robert N. Newton, who served the Arizona fair commission as starting judge during the races of 1908. His suicide is attributed to financial losses in a banking enterprise in Montana which made him despondent Though Mr. Newton never visited Arizona but the once, he made a great many friends here during that fair week and all who met him held him in high esteem as a gentleman and as a capable track official. He has for many years been a prominent figure on the grand circuit, where he seems to have given great satisfaction to both horsemen and associations, for his honesty, fairness and capability. Concerning the tragedy and the work of Mr. Newton, the Horse Review of February 8 prints the following:
Harness horsemen through the country were shocked inexpressibly last Wednesday morning to learn that on the previous evening Robert N. Newton, who as a starting and presiding Judge on the grand circuit and elsewhere, was one of the most widely known men who have officiated in these positions in recent years, had committed suicide by jumping from the Illinois river bridge at Ottawa, Ill. about 8:45 the previous evening. Financial reverses are thought to have precipitated this terrible act. Two refers ago he invested heavily in the First National bank of Billings, Mont., removing to that city from his old home, Yorkville, Ill., and being made cashier of the institution. The venture proved a losing one, as the bank failed something like a year ago. At the time of his removal to Montana, Mr Newton said farewell to the Judges' stand and announced his retirement from his former avocation, to which, however, he later returned and acted as presiding, also as starting judge, upon the grand circuit the past two seasons — this return having been due to his financial reverses at Billings. He last officiated at the closing meeting of the 1910 circuit at Columbus, the two final weeks of September, after which, with nothing to occupy his time, he became very despondent, finally reaching a condition that caused his family great concern about him, his actions being such as to raise apprehensions of self-destruction. After spending some time at Yorkville, he went from that place to Ottawa for a visit with his brother-in-law, George M. Trimble, arriving at that place on Thursday preceding his death, which, as above said, occurred on the evening of the following Tuesday. January 31. At last accounts, although extended search had been made for his body in the river, it could not be found. The dead man was born near Yorkville forty-eight years ago and had lived in that town all his life with the exception of about a year spent in Billings. At Yorkville he built up a successful undertaking and furniture business, later becoming identified with the banking interests of the town. His work as a starting and presiding judge during the last ten years and more had been carried on during the summer months as a change and relaxation from his other pursuits. He leaves a wife and two sons, the latter aged respectively 19 and 10 years, to whom the sympathies of all horsemen will go out in their deep affliction.

[Arizona republican.(Phoenix, Ariz.), February 15, 1911, Page 10 - KT - Sub by FoFG]

Juanita Pabolo
Juanita Pabolo, 55, of Forsyth, formerly of Billings, died Sunday, Nov. 2, 1997, in the Rosebud Health Care Center at Forsyth following a long illness.
Born Nov. 28, 1941, in Thurlow, she was the daughter of Jess and Lola Marthinez Pabolo. She spent her youth and attended schools in Rosebud, Carterville and Hysham before moving to Huntley.
She started working in a motel in Billings before working in various cafes as a cook. Later she worked at the Skyview Terrace Cafe at the Logan International Airport and then at the Ramada Inn before moving to Forsyth in 1990 where she had lived since.
She was a member of the Immaculate Conception Church in Forsyth.
Her survivors include her brother, Roy, and his wife, Arlene, of Forsyth; two sisters, Louise Mascarena of Billings and Isabelle Brown of Alexandria, Va; three aunts, Helen Ruiz of Whiting, Ind., Lena Rodriguez of Montagere, Calif., and Mary Gonzales of Tule Lake, Calif.; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 6, 1997, in the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church at Forsyth. The Rev. Gill will officiate. Interment will follow in the Forsyth Catholic Cemetery.
Beals Mortuary of Forsyth is in charge of arrangements.
[Billings Gazette, Nov. 4, 1997 - Sub by A. Pabolo]

Estes Polk
BILLINGS -- Mrs. Estes Polk died Saturday at St. Vincent's hospital from an injury received by being thrown from a horse and the remains were interred in the Billings cemetery Sunday afternoon.
[Butte Weekly Miner July 20, 1899 - Sub. By Marla Zwakman]

D. Sansome
BILLINGS -- D. Sansome died at the home of his son, Joseph Sansome, on Montana avenue, Sunday morning, July 29.
[Helena Independent Aug. 7, 1900 - Sub. By Marla Zwakman]

Butte (Montana) Miner: Dr. Selbrede received a telegram Monday from Mrs. Selbrede at Cottage Grove, Oregon, announcing the death of her father, Mr. Stouffer. The deceased spent a greater part of the winter here and by his sterling qualities he made a host of friends in Billings, all of whom extend their heartfelt sympathies to the bereaved family.
[Bohemia Nugget (Cottage Grove, OR), Friday, August 25, 1899 - JD - Sub by FoFG]

L.H. (TIM) Swain
L.H. (Tim) Swain, 70, of 340 Beverly Hills Blvd. died Friday in a Billings hospital.
He was born Feb. 8, 1897, at Monroe, Utah.
Mr. Swain married Elma Magledy, Sept. 16, 1918. He served with the United States Army during WWI.
The couple lived in Salt Lake City, moving to Billings in 1932. He was employed with Firestone Rubber Co. and served as store manager in Billings for several years before retiring in 1962.
He was a member of LDS Church.
Survivors include the widow; two sons, Douglas of 2014 Colton Blvd. and Robert T. of 2115 Eldorado Drive; a daughter, Mrs. Kenneth L. Eases of 640 Park Lane; two brothers, Ray of Salt Lake City and Bert of Monroe; two sisters, Mrs. Hammer Smith and Mrs. Lester Lowe, both of Monroe; 11 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
Funeral services will be 9:30 a.m. Tuesday at Dahl-Brown Funeral Chapel. Burial will be in Monroe City Cemetery, Monroe.
[The Billings Gazette, September 2, 1967 - Sub. by Genie Bug]

June Watson
June Watson passed away June 7, 2012 at Rosebud Community Hospital with her family at her side.
June was born in Pompeys Pillar, MT on June 14, 1939. She moved with her family in 1948. She lived on beet farms while growing up and attended school at Forsyth. June was married to Edward Watson on September 2, 1956. They were constant companions and soul mates for 56 years. June's greatest love in her life was her family. She loved to cook and you could find her family gathered together every week-end and holiday. She worked at Rosebud Community Hospital in Housekeeping for 8 years.
She was an avid gardener, raising huge gardens and sharing the bounty with family and friends. The entire summer was spent filling her canning shelves with winter food. She loved roses and had a beautiful rose garden. June also loved to quilt and do puzzles with Eddie. Several of her puzzles are framed. June also had two cats that she loved. Everyone called them Fat Cat.
She was preceded in death by her parents Art and Minnie Martens, and brothers Charles Martens, Duane Martens and John VanderPas.
June is survived by her husband; her sons, Richard and Dale Watson of Forsyth, Ivan (Shannon) Watson of Colstrip; her daughter Darla Anderson of Forsyth; 8 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren; her brothers, Albert (Rita) Martens of Forsyth, Eugene (JoLee) Martens of Tipton, Missouri; her sisters, Ann (Mike) Schenk of Roundup and Marge (Glen) Simenson of Forsyth and many nieces and nephews.
She was loved greatly and will be missed by many.
FUNERAL SERVICE: Saturday June 16, 2012 at 11:00am. Chapel of Stevenson and Sons Funeral Home, Forsyth, MT
OFFICIATING: Pastor Mark Umfleet
MUSIC: Susie Wester, Roger & Chavis Berdahl.
PALLBEARERS: All of June's grandchildren are considered pallbearers.
INTERMENT: Will follow in the Forsyth Cemetery.
["Funeral Home Memorial", June 15, 2012 - Sub. by A. Pabolo]

Alvin Perry White
Forsyth, Nov. 21 -- [special] -- Impressive military rites were conducted here for Perry White of Ingomar, 87 yr old Civil War Veteran, who died at his home following an illness of about two years. The services were in charge of Rosebud Post 39, American Legion with words of eulogy and comfort by Rev. T Pederson, pastor of the Forsyth Lutheran Church. Burial was in the Forsyth Cemetery with Darwin Harbicht, John Brain, W.J. Johnson, John Hanson, Ward Bennett, and James Savage, all of Ingomar, as pallbearers. Mr. White was born in Illinois Nov. 14, 1844 and when 19 yrs of age enlisted in the 156th Illinois Infantry, Co K, to serve until 1865. In 1883 he was married to Miss Elizabeth DeFord of Tabor, Iowa, who with their two sons, Tom White of Ashland and Oliver White of Ingomar survive. Mr and Mrs White then went to Wyoming, coming from there to Rosebud County in 1906 for Mr White to engage in freighting in connection with the construction of the Milwaukee railraod through Montana. In 1910 he filed on homestead land near Ingomar where he has since resided, engaged in farming and ranching
. [Billings Gazette, Nov 22, 1931 - Sub. by Kathyrn Todd]

Oliver White
Forsyth, April 30 -- Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon from the Booth Mortuary for Oliver White, 58, of Ingomar, who died at a local hospital, Tuesday of Tick Fever. Services were in charge of the Rev W.C. Smith of the Methodist Church. He was born in Harrison, Nebraska, March 9, 1884 a son of Mr and Mrs Perry White. He had engaged in ranching in the Ingomar community and near Forsyth since 1907. The only survivor is a brother Thomas White of Billings.
[Billings Gazette, May 1,1942 - Sub. by Kathyrn Todd]

Thomas Perry White
Tom White, 68, of Blue Creek, star route, died of a heart attack at 1:35 p.m., Wednesday while buying plumbing equipment at the Christenson Plumbing & Heating Company of Billings. He was in the shop talking to his brother-in-law, Clarence Coon of 213 South Broadway, when the attack came. The Billings fire department administered oxygen for 20 minutes before Mr. White was pronounced dead by a Billings physician. Mr. White, a resident of Billings for 18 years was a construction and cement foreman for Riedesel Construction Company until recently. He was born in Harrison, Nebraska, March 27, 1889, son of Mr and Mrs Perry White, and moved to Ingomar in 1907. He married Violet Harris in Forsyth, 36 years ago. Surviving are his wife; 2 daughters, Mr. Marjorie Welsh of Boise, Idaho and Mrs. Ed Holbert [Edna Elizabeth] of Absarokee, a son Albert of 2091 South Billings Boulevard; a sister Mrs. Clarence Coon [Cora] and eight grandchildren The body is at Smith's funeral home.
[Billings Gazette, Nov 14, 1957 - Sub. by Kathyrn Todd]

Widner, Margaret Ann
Margaret Ann Widner, 72, of 409 S. 24th St., died Tuesday morning in St. Vincent’s Hospital, hours after being admitted as a patient. She had moved to Billings in 1942, after her marriage to Edward L. Widner on March 19, 1942, in Rolla, N.D. Mrs. Widner was born Feb. 13, 1900, in Canada, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Norquay.  She attended schools in South Dakota.  She was first married in 1921 to Elmer Lecompte in Mobridge, S.D. [The Billings Gazette (Billings, MT) – Wednesday, December 16, 1972. Submitted by JD]

Margaret Ann Widner, 72, of 409 S. 24th St., died Tuesday morning in St. Vincent’s Hospital, hours after being admitted as a patient. She had moved to Billings in 1942, after her marriage to Edward L. Widner on March 19, 1942, in Rolla, N.D. Mrs. Widner was born Feb. 13, 1900, in Canada, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Norquay.  She attended schools in South Dakota.  She was first married in 1921 to Elmer Lecompte in Mobridge, S.D. Prayer services will be at 10 a.m. Monday in Smith’s Funeral Chapel with the Rev. James Hofta of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church officiating.  Burial will be in Sunset Memorial Gardens. Survivors include the widower; five daughters, Mrs. Robert Kust of 736 Starlight Drive, Mrs. Nick Guttierez of S. 35th St., Mrs. Lupe Perez of 312 S. 31st St., Mrs. Francis Meader of Yakima, Wash., and Mrs. John Henry of Dunseith, N.D.; three sons, Elmer B. Lacompt and Clovis J. Lacompt, both of 409 S. 24th St., and LeRoy Widner of Prior; and two brothers, Rueben and Ralph Norquay, both of Dunseith. [The Billings Gazette (Billings, MT) – Wednesday, December 16, 1972. Submitted by JD]

Visit the National Genealogy Trails Site

© Genealogy Trails